Reviews of Hotel Famosa This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Kölnerstr. 30, Stadtmitte, 40211 Düsseldorf, Germany

#105 of 197 hotels in Düsseldorf

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

It was my second stay in this hotel. Again there was nothing to miss in the room. The most surprising was probably the 140cm width bed in a single room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Big 4-person room provided instead of the booked double, very spacious. Relatively good bed. Check-in could be agreed even a bit over 23:00. Breakfast was very good for 7€. Fruits, müsli, jogurt.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

a budget choise but nothing to dislike just one thing strange: the lift started from first floor not ground floor

very kind staff simple and clean very good value for budget choise

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Nothing, everything was as expected. It's not a five star hotel but thats what I wanted.

The Hotel Famosa is inexpensive and in a good location. I liked the breakfast. Good value for money.

• Comfort Single Room

Road noise 1st floor, no air conditioning, i could not open the window as there was a lot of noise coming from the smoking lounge a couple of doors away and the smoke was also coming in the room when i did open the window.

Bed was very comfortable and the room was clean.

• Standard Quadruple Room

WiFi didn't work at all.

Value for money. Walk-able distance to the central station. Good transportation options nearby. Breakfast for good for 7 Euros.

• Comfort Single Room

There was construction in front of the hotel, so it was noisy in the morning. But I guess it is just temporary.

Friendly reception, clean, good location, affordable price. I would choose this hotel again if I have the chance to stay in Düsseldorf again.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Smoke smell from the bathroom. Opening the window helped, but still it's unpleasant.

Location is really great! Very close to the subway. I also liked street view from my room.

shared shower and toilet between 4 rooms

Small cozy hotel. Very good location for business(11 min walk from central train station). Small clean room with very comfortable bed. Friendly staff.

• Standard Triple Room

There is no coffee making facility in the room and our breakfast experience was horrible. There was a young lady who kept kind of watching us while having our breakfast (nothing special at all) which was really embarrassing. We decided not to have breakfast the next day.

The size of the room was good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The lift begins from the first floor and there is a difficulty with a lot of luggage also the lift is too small ..

Friendly stuff, great location walking distance to rhe shopping area and to the main station , very clean room ..

• Standard Quadruple Room

We absolutely loved the beds so comfy, the hotel was fantastic you couldn’t hear a pin drop at night, the hotel was spotless, breakfast was lovely a range of different things, the reception staff couldn’t of been more friendly always had a smile on their faces and so helpful 10/10 for them.. I will definitely stay here again, the location was perfect...

• Standard Triple Room

Take into account that it is an old building, so the elevator is very small and starts at the 1'5 level

Nice room for three people, comfy beds and very clean. Nice staff (24h.) and nice breakfast

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

The neighborhood wasn't great; there are a lot of drunk and homeless people outside because of how close it is to the train. I think if you're staying a day this is a nice place to sleep at.

The staff was really nice and the rooms were very clean.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

good central location, hotel reception was very inviting, staff were helpful and friendly, room was clean, bed was comfy and the tv/wifi were perfect, would definitely stay here again!

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

The room was grossly overpriced on the website and is rated as a 3 star hotel... I had to travel late for business and attend the A+A Safety show and the cost for the hotel was increased from a normal rate of €85/night to a charge of €260. The facilities and room I got were terrible. There was only one uncomfortable square pillow, a single bed sized duvet for a double bed, no hangars, the wifi was desperately slow. The room had its bathroom across the corridor which is similar to a hostel so I really can't understand how it has a three star rating.. The location at night did not feel safe and there is very little restaurants nearby. The noise at night was very loud and finally from a safety point of view the smoke alarm in the room was ripped out of the wiring from the roof. Overall a terrible experience

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Super trashy, tasteless and cheap looking interior. Only thing I found good about the hotel is location and cleaness. Ok to spend a night if you have no other choice but nothing more. That room and hotel experience is definitely not worth 300€ that was original price, and not even €100 how much we payed at discounted price.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

To be there with car is a bit of a problem because there is not a lot of parking spaces. I always find a place but it took some time.

I like this hotel. For me it is very convenient and the staffs are all friendly and helpful. I can check in whenever I'm arriving, which is good for me. I visited this hotel several times because it is ideal when I'm on public transport. The tram is only a few minutes away.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No air con but a fan.The night we stayed it was very,Very noisy outside. Felt like we were 'sleeping' in a night club!

The cleanliness of the hotel.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

The area isn't the best or for tourists but at least it feels safe .

Stayed there for one night , had to catch a train for the airport the next one so it was conveniently close to the station about 10 minutes walk . Also spent the day at the center though it's walkable distance there is underground 2 mins from there and plenty of trams and buses around . Small , clean , friendly stuff are the strong points .

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

I can't think of anything that needs improving, at this price it is good value for money. When I stayed 24JUL2017 there were minor roadworks in front of hotel so I'm glad I asked for a quiet room facing rear of building.

The hotel is very clean and the €7 breakfast buffet was excellent. Staff are friendly and helpful. I stayed in a room with separate bathroom in the hall, whilst unusual it was okay as only three rooms per floor so little chance of meeting a stranger in your dressing gown. I especially liked the late 12 noon check-out.

• Comfort Single Room

The lift was on the first floor and I had to carry a very heavy suitcase up several steps alone. I'm a small girl and this was a struggle to say the least. The lifts were also very old and cramped.

Most of the staff members were quite friendly and approachable, particularly the young man and lady who manned the reception desk during my stay. The room was bright and airy with plenty of space for a single person or a couple.

• Standard Quadruple Room

Travelling from Baden-Württemberg, it was supposed to be holiday for our Children. Bad treatment by staff about our children moments after checking in. No lift on the ground floor, only from 1st floor, travelling as a family we had lots of luggage. No lift to the topmost floor. I was an absolute nightmare. Shower nightmare - hot water was epileptic. It is just a make-shift of a hotel.

Absolutely Nothing

• Comfort Single Room

Very rude and unprofessional staff. Based on the other reviews other people said they were nice. Not to me or my guest. Ill start off with a list. 1. My guest came and they said they had to pay to stay there. I said that was fine. I paid €25 euro and I was fine with that. What they didn't tell us was it was €25 euro per day. We were getting ready for the day the next day and they were calling us multiple times to pay the money and they were rushing us. I didn't like that. I paid after I got ready and went on my business. Also to mention it wasn't put in the system that my guest was here which cause more problems. 2. We have to turn in the key everytime I leave the establishment. I needed to run to my car real quick to get something in which I didnt park far at all. The guy who was working the front was incredibly difficult and told I had give the key. 3. No A/C so very hot in room 4. Elevators are pretty much useless because you had to go up two flights of stairs to get to the elevator. 5. The person who cleaned my room didnt replace my sheets. 6. I asked more sheets for my guest and the staff was having a arguement with me stating im here by myself since the last person that was working didnt put any information in the system. You not supposed to argue with the person who pay you to stay here. That so unprofessional. After of 10 minutes of the arguement. He finally gave me the pillow and blanket. I wanted him to give it to me but he insisted to bring up to my room. 7. I asked for 3 more towels the next day from the same guy and got in a arguement with me again after brought out the towels and ask why i need three towels. I was very livid and I did try to snatch the towels from him. He said hes going to call the polizei on me and after more talking he finally gave me the towels. 8. Breakfast was pretty expensive for what they have. I kind of felt like they were making up stuff as they went.

Its in a decent area. By the city center and the area is very diverse and different cultures areas around. People are loud in the middle of the night and I didn't mind it. I wouldnt recommend go to hotel unless you short on cash because its a good price but you get what you pay for.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Comfort Single Room

I was only able to catch a bit of sleep with my noise cancellation headset on. I had the choice either to suffocate and die from the heat or from the horrendous noise of the street below the window.

There was good WiFi

Elevator doesn't stop at the convenient place.

Comfortable and convenient place, everything you need is just in walking distance. All staffs are very nice although some of them are not that good at speaking English.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Negative points: - we had to give back the key to the reception each time we left the room, I did not understand we we should do this in a hotel. It made me uncomfortable. - No hot water for tea and coffee. - The old elevator connects floors 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 which was unpleasant. - No safety box in the room.

Positive points: - kind and welcoming staff, we asked for hot water and they gave us an electric kettle. - calm and quiet - very clean - Good WiFi connection - Good location, close to the central station, far from red-line area, close to the shopping street.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Bathroom was out of my room, only my bathroom, and I did not like it. Because I am not young have prostate problems and several times I have to out for WC. Terrible !!!

Lift was not at the lobby, you can reach the lift at the first floor and I have knie problems !!!

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There is no elevator access from the ground floor and getting the luggage to Floor 1 was not easy

The room was very large and clean. The hotel is close to the central train station and there are some good a Japanese restaurants nearby

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Wifi was unusable on the first night, and it is throttled anyway.. They shouldn't list it as a facility in this case!

I had no options left to stay in dus as it was a convention week and I needed to get there on short notice.. Was good that I found a place.. Having the bathroom in the hallway was a bit weird but for the price it was fine.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I've booked this hotel for business several times over the past month. On the first occasion I asked via email if I could prepay the room and received no response. Only after I made more bookings was I made aware that you cannot prepay at this hotel. I also had to add an additional night to one of the bookings; I rang the hotel with the request and was told to email for confirmation. I got the email address wrong so used the email address listing by bookings.com as 'email the hotel'. I did this twice, yet when I rang the hotel (on 3 occasions as the English speaking employee was not available) as I'd received no confirmation I was told they received nothing from me.....yet I emailed the address supplied by Booking.com. When I explained this to the hotel they wanted an additional 10 euros for the change. It was at this stage I was made aware that I could not prepay over the phone!!!!! All guests I had booked into the hotel had to pay up front, which none of them were prepared for, and the hotel contact was very rude about my concerns. I cannot believe that a hotel of this nature cannot accept prepayment. When allocating rooms for employees the last thing you'd expect is to have to pay for the room out of your own pocket.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Very, very expensive - especially as was coming up on a local search €60 per night cheaper. Very old fashioned with no Toilet or Bathroom facilities en-suite.

Easy access to public transport.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Location is very well, nearby to train / bus station, some supermarkets and city center (5-10 min walk) Room is fresh and modern, full completed except air conditioner Bed and pillow is very comfortable Bathroom is clean, full completed of toiletries, towels and bathrobe

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

A big sign on the door that the hotel would not take responsibility for loss of valuables and wardrobe but no safe in the room. You could leave valuables with the frontdesk but then again a big disclaimer regarding the hotel not being responsible.

Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

The breakfast is not included. and you need to pay 7€ which I think it's a bit expensive for the breakfast. Maybe they can lower the price for at least like 3.50-5.00€.

The bed is comfortable, the toilet and the room is clean.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was small but clean and with cozy furniture. There was a good wifi connection and a big tv screen. The position of the hotel is very good for exploring the city - it's near the station and in a walking distance from the center.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

The area the hotel is in is not great. We walked from the train station (5-10mins) and it was slightly uncomfortable. However, we had no problems and once we were used to it, it wasn't that bad.

The staff were pleasant and the facilities were fine. Wifi good. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Bathroom, albeit private, in the hall was not very practical. Had to ring the door every time I wanted to enter the hotel, waiting for reception to come and unlock the front door.

Very good location, good value for money.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Comfort Single Room

The room was no smoking but did smell as though someone had smoked a whole packet!

This was an excellent value place to stay and very convenient for the train station (10 minute walk) as well as tram and underground (3 minute walk) for getting around the rest of the city. My room was very clean and looked like it had been recently renovated. The staff were friendly as well.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Staff provided an adaptor for phone charger without any question, they were very helpful and friendly. A short walk to the main tourist office and main train station with link to airport.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

1. The elevator starts from the second floor so you have to climb the stairs. Even if you were on the third floor or higher, you'd still have to climb a further half flight of stairs as the lift does not stop on the same level as the rooms. 2. No air-conditioning. It was OK for me because the temperature was between 10 and 13°C when I traveled, so I dint have to open the windows. If it was in summer, the room will likely be stuffy and noisy as the rooms are facing the main road. In winter, it will probably be too cold. 3. The water heater is only able to be set to 60°C which, by the time the water reached the shower, it was almost too cold to bathe. Had it been in winter, I'd probably have forgone my baths altogether I think.

Hotel is located somewhere Between the high end shopping district and budget shopping areas where you can find shops like the 1€ shop.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

It was a nice place to stay for a night. The room was clean. The staff was ready to help and agreed to meet me after 23 p.m. as I had a late check-in.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Breakfast doesn't have many options but it was ok.

The Single room was quite spacious and clean,location is great walking distance to the city and sightseeing venues.WiFi was working great and fast.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

It was noisy outside with road construction works during the day and people chatting and smoking hooka in the night. Closed window was not the best option provided the hot weather and absence of AC.

Convenient location not far from the railway and bus station, and a walking distance to the main shopping attractions. Nice personnel and comfortable rooms.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Breakfast was ok, but it could have been more varied..

Good value for money! Clean and large rooms, Staff friendly and responding professionally to questions. Situated suitably for visiting the fair, and also enjoying what Dusseldorf has to offer.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

10 minutes walk to shopping street, 20-25 minutes walking to city centre. U-bahn is very near, main station too. Staff is very nice, rooms are very comfortable. Very good value for price. Would stay again.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Standard Quadruple Room

The area of the hotel is problematic. There is a casino right next to the hotel and a night club. These two attract all the wrong people that hang under your room window until 2-3 am. The hotel is located on a main street with a lot of traffic and even a tram goes though it.

Nice staff, big family rooms, clean, nice breakfast

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

The lift stops in beetween the room floors. which means you have to walk some stairs anyway and if you're carrying heavy stuff is not ideal.

Everything ok for a good price, since it was August and I paid €72, two nights. Fast check in, nice staff, no problems at all, private separate bathroom on the same floor and very close with a personal key. Excellent wifi and good mattress. It could have been slightly cleaner but the standard was good considered the price.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Renovated hotel, really nice, but the elevator starts at the 1st floor (3 stairs up). My parents are over 80 so 3 stairs up was a bit hard. But we understand one can't change this easily....

Terrific people! They are so nice and helpful! Great beds, enough space, very comfortable and very clean!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Standard Quadruple Room

Lift starts at 2nd floor so you have to carry your bags 1 flight up.

For the money this was a great hotel, comfortable, very friendly and helpful staff, good breakfast included, good location

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

The room is a bit tiny and some staff do not speak english

Our stay was excellent,clean room and friendly staff.Perfect location 10m from the city center and supermarkets next door.I would definetly come back again

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

The lift is not on each floor level. Obviously, it was added to the old building at a later stage So, there are steps you have to climb. No problem unless you had heavy luggage or somebody with mobility problems.

The location was very convenient on direct public transport route to both the city center and the airport to catch an early morning flight. There was a supermarket and many cafes and takeaways around. The staff were very helpful and the room was quiet and clean.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

The location can be a bit noisy (but that was only because it almost 40 degrees and so I had to sleep with the windows open, so I got to experience all the noise that Düsseldorf had to offer...probably wouldn't be a problem if the windows were closed).

Wonderful hotel! Super comfy beds, clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff, and all for a great price! All the main sights of Düsseldorf are really close by (10-15 minute walk, or take the tram or U-bahn a couple of stations).

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Breakfast was okay, but not much variety. Walls are not very sound-proof... seems the couple next door was having a lot of fun. (good for them) Private bathroom separate from the room was a bit inconvenient, but I knew that before booking.

Great value for money! Friendly staff, very clean and modern style furbished rooms. Good location too, I reached everywhere I wanted to go on foot.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Staff was not good. First they have choosen internal rooms with bad scenes and bad living conditions! we insisted to take other rooms with extra money.One of the administrators accused my friend of taking extra change from her by mistake and insisted on that! Other admins were very rude with us!

Honestly, the hotel was very clean and other facilites were available

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Bathroom small, light too weak, ventilation too weak, no socket in near of the bed.

Near to the central station, clean rooms, small but clean bathroom with bathrobe. Tv with antenna and big bed. Competent personal, easy check in and check out. Breakfast was fantastic. Free wifi. Minibar included

No A/C, TV wasnt working, poor barhroom

Nice staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Stay was good, food was food! Staff were friendly!

• Standard Quadruple Room

The room (for 6) is really big and comfy. The location is convenient for discovering the city center.

Wifi connection was poor

Room had a nice roof/balcony

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Spacious room in a good location. Perfect for a one night stay before a flight. Helpful staff.

It takes about 5-10 minutes to walk from the hotel to the central train station.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Close to HBF and bus station. Comfortable bed.

• Comfort Single Room

nice friendly staff, clean room and good wifi.

Clean . Nice room . 20 min walk to altsadt

Poor and smelly.

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

Bathroom is separated from room Water bottle provided only once

Close to the main station Easy to access

• Standard Double or Twin Room

very helpful and courteous gentleman at reception

• Economy Single Room with Private Bathroom/WC in Hallway

problem with elevator in second floor

Not much really.

The staff were helpful, location good breakfast had a varied selection.

Neat and tidy place . Great location . Shopping is 10 mins walk .comfortable Bed .Perfect place for 2 to 4 days

No heating!

• Comfort Single Room

Very friendly and peaceful hotel. Stayed here before we travelled on to Dortmund to watch spurs so proximity to train station was excellent .

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The elevator starts on the third set of stairs (1st floor) which is very annoying if you have heavy suitcases.

Staff was good.

• Comfort Single Room

Perfect room and bathroom, a lot of good towels, friendly staff, strong wifi.