Reviews of a&o Berlin Friedrichshain This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Boxhagener Str. 73, Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg, 10245 Berlin, Germany

#474 of 579 hotels in Berlin

Based on 849 hostel reviews

My card to enter the building wasn't working at one point. There was construction my hall that made the hallway a little dirty. Someone was banging on my door at one point trying to get in. I figured they were confused about which room was theirs. But I was a little scared their key would work.

The room was clean and spacious. There was hot water. The curtains wer good at blocking out the sunlight.

We asked the staff about the laundry room and received mixed instructions (at first we were told it was OK to use the machines at night, but then they said we couldn't because there were rooms adjacent and the noise would bother them), so we lost a couple of hours doing that the next morning ...

The place was good, a bit far away from the main places but that's what we wanted and plus there were a lot of shops and places to eat nearby. It's a mix of hotel + hostel so expect a bit of noise at night from the youngest guests.

• 4-Bed Room

1. Rooms are very humid and there is no air conditioning. Saturday night was absolutely horrible: The heat and humidity did not let us sleep with closed windows and the noise outside made falling sleep with open windows impossible. Nobody respected the 10pm quite time, and the staff did not take any initiative to warn the drunk guests outside to keep it quite. Our guests from the US had to cope up with very little sleep after their flight and with the jet lag they were having. Sunday night was much better, though. 2. The beds are A&O standard, somewhat hard mattresses but ok. But the sheets looked old and not well taken care of. 3. There was a construction going on in the building, which is ok. for a hostel. But no one cleaned the dust and dirt it created around, we entered our rooms from a corridor covered with all kinds of dirt. The rooms were cleaner-yet not very clean-. Someone should remember to wash those curtains once in a while. I'd also bring my own towel/sheets if I had known. 4. The staff was somewhat helpful, and we did not experience anything bad personally. Yet, at 3pm check in time there was a HUGE waiting line. There was a somewhat of a tense vibe in the reception. 5. I would not recommend it to any families. I have stayed in other hostels with my parents (almost 60) before, they never complained about it. But I cannot imagine bringing them to this one.

1. The location is very nice, 5-10 min. walk from Boxhagener and to Ostkreuz. The hostel is surrounded by many good cafes and restaurants. 2. We liked that the toilet and the shower were in separate rooms, that helped a lot for a room of 4.

Breakfast not that cheap. You can find nice options around the hostel.

Comfortable enough for a twin room. Cleaned every day but not change of towels in 5 days. Good communicated from train station( 10 minutes by walk) and far from the centre 16 minutes by train. Walking distance from hundred of bars and restaurants not too pricy and all of them with nice terraces outside. Supermarket and local shops 5 minutes away. For me the best area to stay in Berlin. Luggage for free with optional lockers to pay if you have the fly later than your checkout

The shower kept blocking, so we'd have to keep turning the water on and off while having a shower. Otherwise you ended up with the entire bathroom floor full of water. On our first night, we went to ask for a mop cos it flooded and to mention the shower problem, but only got a sponge. Our room was opposite reception on the ground floor with benches and tables outside the window, so I felt that we had no privacy and had to keep the curtains drawn a lot. On the Thursday (I think it was the Thursday) of our stay, I was having a shower at 10am when the water suddenly cut off. So my friend went to reception to enquire about this and was told it would be back on in 10 minutes. My friends went 3 times. I had to make do with soap all over myself and shampoo on my head for an hour until the water came back on. We were given a key to the communal shower room on our floor, but when we went in we found it was boarded up with planks of wood and there was a hole in the wall. Basically, it was out of action! Staff apologised about it when we went out for the day, but it took an hour. So this held us up. Apparently it was an error by the builders. After the shower episode, my friend went outside to sit on the benches for a cigarette. Luckily, she didn't sit on the one right outside our window cos then glass came crashing down on to the wooden table. From inside the room we saw it come crashing down past our window. Our window wasn't open and no glass came in. Outside, we could see that one of the windows right at the top of the building had fallen out/broken or something, and some builders were looking up at it. These were the things we didn't like about our stay.

The location was great, and staff were friendly, chatty and helpful. The coffee machine in reception is nice. The beds were comfy. The room is basic in that there is nowhere to put your clothes except in your case. There was one table and two or three stools. The room was very clean though. The bathroom was clean, but there was a problem with the shower. The cleaners were very nice too.

Having to wait until 15pm to check-in

Big room, confy beds, ensuite bathroom, and excellent room in general. Excellent localtion if you're gonna hang out around Kreuzberg-Friedrichshain

The corridor leading to my room was during renovation (I guess?) so it looked a little unsettling. The room was a little bit smelly and the floor was not 100% clean. I also think, that the price-quality ratio is a bit too high.

The best thing is staff - people working over there are very friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for my needs - it's very close to the Ostkreuz, just a 5min walk. The breakfast also fulfilled my needs. Bathroom is clean. WiFi is just perfect - it works properly and has a good coverage.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

When I checked out, I wasn't told that there was no bedsheet, so it's better to ask at once than to discover its ansence, then come back and ask, especially when you're very tired after the trip. I lived at the ground floor, and the kitchen there is rather small and turned out dirty; besides, there were practically no forks and spoons, so I preferred to have dinner outside, in a cafe.

The staff is friendly and pleasing. Breakfast, though paid, is very good, and there is a good choice (cheese, bacon, nice bread, fresh vegetables and fruit, a variety of cornflakes, honey, jam, juise, coffee and so on. In my room for 6 persons there was a shower and toilet (two separate compartments). A good bar near the registration desk. The hostel also has a special baggage room which is very comfy. Quite close from the station Berlin Ostkreuz.

The private rooms have no locker. You need to store your laptop in the lobby lockers which cost every time you open it 2 euro's. On the door in the room it says it is for free which is not true. The night auditor was not really friendly. At least they know how to keep people out of the shared area..... Beside all I will definitely come back when I need a room for a short stay.

Clean silent private room. Good location. During the day the staff was friendly. I miss a little bit the hostel feeling, maybe place some couches and make a chillou area.

Loads of work going on within the building, rooms and public areas need a full refurbishment. Very noisy on a night. Beds not comfortable.

Brilliant location. Staff were friendly and helpful.

No fridge inside the room. At summer is necessary.

Value for money,, good location near suburban station and local stores for bakery food coffee super market etc. The room was basic furniture in good condition and clean,, heat inside the room was ok,, in the bathroom hot water all day long, very good wifi.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

It didn`t matter to us but the TV signal was too weak to show correct picture.

Stayed with you second time. I like neighborhood and closeness to Ostkreuz station - easy to get from Schönefeld airport and continue our journey to Tropical Island next morning. I booked a family room for me and 2 kids (age 11 and 12) but it was not available when we arrived (it was late and we stayed just one night so I didn`t make a fuss about it) and receptionist kindly gave us 2 double rooms and advised which one was better :) Liked the terrace of our room (I think it was room 550), in warmer days it would have been magnificent to spend time there. Beds were good, I have a back problem and the mattress was just right - not very soft.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Somewhat noisy but this was a Saturday night and everyone quieted down after 10pm, quiet hours 10 - 6

This hostel was good, It was clean, secure, had enough personal space and lighting as well as an extra bathroom on the floor in addition to the room.

Dirty bathroom, very noisy inside of the hotel. Got a room near the laundery and the women working there were talking very loud from 7 am in the morning. You cannot even turn in the bathroom, it is that small.

Wifi was very good, the guy at the reception quite helpful.

Liked everything - this is affordable, comfortable accommodation - not a flash hotel

Friendly, excellent for public transport, really nice bars and cafes within walking distance, nice to be staying out of the city centre but within easy access

Location of luggage storage room is awkward.

Best value for your money that you will ever find in a large city like Berlin. Great location in Friedrichshain where we wanted to be. Clean and quiet room, which is all that is needed when exploring the city. Very good WiFi (for mobile VoIP). Friendly staff. Don't be put off by the young crowd and the designation "hotel/hostel".

It was too hot inside the rooms and the windows have some safety feature so its imposible to open them them wide.

Close to the center and public transport Close to most of the famous clubs Lots of shops and restaurants nearby Clean room Clean bathroom Cool young staff

I had a really bad experience with the employees of the hostel that power abusing us. We where a little late to check out and the manager asked for a 10 euros fine. Till then everything was ok. But after that he also asked for 40 euros fines saying that the bedroom was too dirty, but no one went there to clean it in all our stay. He went to our bedroom and asked me for check out and i was clearly getting all my stuff to go but when i was at the door he asked me for my passport and i ask why and he didn`t answer me so i denied to give him. After that he stop me with his hand in the door and didn`t let me pass throw. I sad he couldn`t do that. After all i gave him my passport and then he stayed 1 hour with it and didn`t want to give it back. At the end he called the police and he were ok to leave.

Unluckily not so clean floor in the room.

Twin rooms are in a separate building from the hostel, it's not necessary to walk in through the reception or any collective area. Nice and easy check-in (and very easy check-out).

Normally checkouts are at 12. No one told me to leave at 10?! Then they charged 10 euros for the late checkout. Plus, the cleaning lady came at 12 o'clock everyday during the first three days waking me up and then doing no cleaning. When I started to leave the room before 12 for her to clean, no one cleaned my room?! The guy in the reception treated me so bad to charge 10 Euros late checkout penalty. No need for such bad and mean treatment to pay less!

This accomodation is perfect! It's a hostel, and expect nothing more. Luxury is as i expected from a "good" hostel. Beds are good. OstKreutz station is in walking distance. And some good places for a bite or a drink within a kilometer. Also a supermarket around the corner. Pillows in the beds are soft and not big. If you prefer a harder or a "fat" pillow. You should bring your own.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Toilet and bathroom facilities are shared on a floor, so everyone on your floor shares a bathroom.

Size of the preoperty is good. Also wifi is strong. Check in at anytime as we were travelling late so thats great.

It's quite noisy but there it is a youth hostel so you don't expect it to be super quiet. Just be prepared for some loud kids

Good location. Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

The cleaning lady! Each morning she started to vacuum around 8 clock. She was talking really loud. Also, the other guests were rude and screaming to each other in the hallway. You can't really rest in these conditions. But this is the human race...

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Bad sound isolation - it's noisy hard to fall asleep. Queues on reception - it's seems all the staff work with 1 guest. TV is out of order. Deposit for hairdryer is more then it costs.

Not far from S-bahn Ostkreuz, 24/7 reception, bathroom equipped with shower gel and soap, comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

This hostel was in a great location and cheaper than other options in the area. I would recommend as a basic room with everything you want. Very good shower! The room was warm (we were there in February).

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Everything was great. Very clean, organised, bright big rooms! The bathroom was small but good enough. Location is very good, walking distance to the train station that connects you pretty much everywhere. If you're a vegan or vegetarian, there is an organic market right next to it and a vegan restaurant in front of the hotel. Also, another vegan place on the way to the station!

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Very old-school type of hostel, no private locker if you don't have a padlock, no curtains around the bed, no private shelf, light or socket next to the bed.

The common area was cozy and breakfast was good (although a bit more expensive than elsewhere)

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Breakfast wasn't that good. Really don't recommend for that price. The oranges were old, also there was nothing else warm to eat except boiled eggs. Everyday was the same - bread, ham, cheese, boiled eggs, juice, tee, coffee and muesli. Didn't like it.

The room was clean and warm.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The stuff should: -stop drunk shouters invading the corridors in the middle of the night; - provide a decent breakfast with cappuccino, brioches, biscuits, wurst, cakes; - change the sheets at least twice a week instead of once; - make the bed to children too (wonder why it was normally done for parents only); - improve wi-fi stability (switching on-off every 1-2 minutes), maybe adding a simple password for customers instead of keeping it completely open. PS We didn't find fair to pay money for children breakfast since we booked with booking.com in advance, and since the promotion was 2 adults pay and 2 children stay free, the booking system charged the price for 2 people with breakfast, not 4. We were forced to pay breakfast for children, when this was not specified anywhere on booking.com.

The position is good, close to cheap shops and restaurants, not far from Ostkreuz Station.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

I must change my room three times at check in, once because the conditions in the room were bad and in the second time because the room had only two beds and i booked three

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

When we arrived the heating was off. We turned on but it took a few hours to get comfortable.

Very good location, close to public transport stations, restaurants and shops in the area.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

08.12.2016. Great location, close to the Ostkreuz bahnhof (S9 for Schonefeld, S7, S75, S5 for Alexanderplatz, Hauptbahnhof, Tiergarten, Zoo, Potsdam - which i strongly recommend you to visit, and many others. Clean room, with clean bad sheets and towels, a luggage room where u can leave ur bags after check out for free. I paid 85 euros for 2 nights, couple, with a bathroom in the room (shower, towel, liquid soap and shower gel, hair dryer, toilet paper ), functional TV, a table with 2 chairs and another smaller table, warm... so, it was ok for 85e. LIDL very close. A lot of shops and restaurants near by.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

the sheets were dirty and the agreed price was 80.50euros they charged my credit card with 84.47 due to the VAT

the location was fantastic 4 stops from alexanderplatz with sbahn

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

The staff seemed a bit unfriendly but maybe it's just the German way of hospitality.

We stayed on a 2 bed room. Everything was great. Room / beds / restroom.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

The bathroom was a little bit stinky because of the drain, but it wasn't disturbing.

The staff were very friendly, the rooms were clean and the hostel is in a very good area.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

The double bed is not a double bed. Its two single beds put together. This makes shall we say, spending romantic moments together for couples a bit more difficult.

The location really is excellent. Value for money is great.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

You had to pay for breakfast. Extra charges for everything. Screwed up my friends booking. Tried to charge him for never checking in although he did.

The location is perfect.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The token system wasn't explained. When I went to reception to ask where breakfast was, the guy gave me the directions [back into our building across the courtyard and down into the basement] BUT nothing about the token system which I'd obviously need to know about. So we went down to the basement where the someone was collecting tokens and he sent me back to the same guy at reception to buy our tokens - 7.50 Euros each. So that was annoying. The breakfast was dull and boring - not much we wanted to eat or drink so that rendered it quite expensive for us.

Bread was ok as were the cold cuts.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• 6-Bed Room

I reserved two rooms (6 people each). Nobody told me that towels and bed sheets were on extra payment till I was there (5 euros per person), and I think i'm not the only one to discover this in the place, because the receptionist told me that also other customers don't know about . The rooms were dirty: pillows stained, floor stained, mattress covers with footsteps on them and even a sock on the ground (that means that nobody sweeped the room before our check in). Wi fi connection falled several times while we were there (globally 4/5 hours). This was my fifth time in Berlin, and I absolutely slept in cheaper and cleaner places than this one. As I wrote in the title, choose it only for position and if you have to stay in Berlin for one night.

The only two positive things are the position of the hotel, and the courtesy of the receptionists.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

Beds for the childs in the family room were booked but not prepared. We've got the canvas but not the towels

Very nice location with hot season in early May :?

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

Very basic. But not worn down and enough for a short stay.

Great location, lots of nice eating places around, easy access to/from airport (no need to change trains), clean

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

too small for 2, mattress was the worst ever (felt all springs), so tiny shower, so noisy, so so warm, staff limit ok but relatively helpful, 100 euros the night, this is a big No No. for 30 euros, I would say it is Ok, not for 100. at least it was clean.

actually nothing for the price paid : 100 euros the night for a room that should be max 30 euros.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I didn't find the beds/pillows easy to sleep on and it was quite loud

The room was large and spacious, the shower was good. The location was fantastic

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

climbing all those steps to the top floor, very hot water in the toilet basin, room was a bit grim in decor and didn't like the plastic under sheets on the beds

quiet after 10pm

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Close to S-Bahn station with direct trains to the citycenter. Good room with all you need. Close to restaurants and Lidl Supermarket. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

free Wifi in room was useless, TV program was cut off in the middle of football, though it was better watching in lobby ;)

Location - close to public transport, restaurants shops, Friendly stuff, secure Lockers & Luggage room available, Berlin Welcome card available,

Very hot in the room

Price

Uncomfortable bed.. Scuff marks on the walls.. Lacklustre staff

Great location.. Decent bathroom.. Good views.

Staff was rude

It is in an interesting neighborhood -Berlin is awesome!

Room opening to Boxhagenerstr was very noisy. No ventillation.Someone pied on the corridor :(

Simple but fair.

Excelent for that value!

THe all set up and thinking of doing something like that back home

Brilliant weekend away! Hostel had all we needed

There was no wardrobe in the room.

Bed-Mattress comfortable.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Staff, cheap simple hotel good location

Quite late check-in (15:00)

Location, cleanness

No wifi in the room

Handy location

The room was spacious

Hard to find the entrance, price is a bit high for the quality

Good location, nice neighborhood, lots of cafes, restaurants and bars nearby

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The staff in the night shift was extremely rude and not helpful.

The location was good.

Too crowded, soft bed, expensive beverage

Close to metro, luggage storage

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The staff could be better informed and more helpful

The location of the hotel is great

There was no warm water in the shower.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

You get what you pay for. I was satisfied with everything for the price we paid.

We booked a family room. They had free infant beds for a baby.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

some people from the other rooms making tooooo much noise

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Don't forget that bed sheets and lock are not included into the price.

Spacious room, free luggage storage, free safe at reception.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Staff helpful Area with more restaurants and bars Close to ostkreuz s-bhan

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

The drainage in the shower was swamped.

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The room was clean and warm.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

Clean. Tidy and done the job.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

Very noisy at night because of the teenagers staying there

Place location

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

wifi, closed windows

location (5 min walking to Ostkreuz), friendly staff

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Not cleaned everyday

Good wifi connection.friendly staff

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

The mattresses are covered in plastic bags which makes it quite uncomfortable to sleep on

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The staff wasn't really very nice

The perfect location, big and clean rooms.

Browse a&o Berlin Friedrichshain traveller photo gallery