Reviews of Gästehaus Balthasar Neumann This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Janshofpassage 1, 50321 Brühl, Germany

#7 of 8 hotels in Brühl

The personnel was friendly and the location is great. Except for that this place is horrible.

The beds were too soft, the biggest room did not have an AC which was really horrible with the hot weather. The pillows were totally flat and not giving any support. WiFi did not work for any of the three rooms that we've booked.

The location is great when you visit places around Brühl such as Phantasialand

Not save uncomfortable place for a great price

Very insecure! The key from my room number fits(!!!) to everyone's numbers in our building(so i was really worried that my luggage can be stolen by neighbors or smb else).Also room numbers are not in the same building with the reception and administration(it is on another street), so you can't communicate staff in the cases of emergency, and there is no building security at all. And my room number was quite small and the view was rather bad.

Not the best deal

Bathroom and bedroom lacking in equipment Bathroom and bedroom separate on two different floors No (free) parking nearby available

Friendly and helpfull reception staff Big bathroom with bathtub Location in town center

Dissapointed for the money we paid

No warm water in the morning which ruined our stay as we traveled with children :( No compensation whatsoever from personel!! We had a confirmation that our rooms were to be booked next to eachother. Upon arrival the receptionist tried to book us in different buildings. She eventually gave us rooms next to eachother, which left my friends room very small as is was part of family room. Still full price was charged.

Excellent guesthouse, lovely bed and shower.

Would have liked a slightly larger bedspread, as my feet stuck out a little. But that was easily solved by wearing socks!

Comfortable bed, easy to check in and pay, kind staff, good facilities, nice shower, feather bed linen

terrible - left after one night

This was a horrible stay - the room smelled extremely mouldy as from a huge humidity problem, despite the open window. Furthermore I seemed to have booked a room without bathroom (wasn't aware of that), so I had to climb a flight of stairs in the night in my pyjama when I needed to go to the bathroom. When I complained during the (far too expensive) breakfast, there was only a (I guess) young student there who said she was only helping with breakfast and couldn't say anything about it. What I also really disliked is that they tried to 'sell' us two large full grown breakfast rates while my daughter is only five. We left after only one out of two intended nights, without refund, didn't want to stay there any longer even if they had offered a different room (which they pretended to after it was clear I was leaving anyway). The owners promised a refund at least for the breakfast and the parking for day 2, but until now (10 days later) I haven't received anything. Not to be recommended at all!

good, central location

OK visit but practical troubles due to insufficient communication on payment arrangements.

Management charges payment at arrival - but this was not communicated by booking com. I had booked five rooms, for myself an four other colleagues attending the climate summit COP23 in Bonn. Two of them were to pay there rooms themselves, but they were charged to my credit card as they arrived earlier than me. One arrived earlier than the other, and one room was charged twice / paid double. It was a lot of hazzle to sort out for me and management, but in the end it was sorted late in my last evening. Quite a stressfull experience. The rooms and apartments are ok quality but quite basic. In my apartment under the roof, I had to take bath sitting in the bathtub. No space for taking a shower standing up. The fridge had not been emptied from the previous visitor, there was milk left over (fortunately not yet sour).

Good place some 10 minutes walk from train to Bonn. spaceous apartment with basic facilities.

- location was great for our trip to Phantasialand - short...
    • Standard Apartment

- cooking facilities were limited: there was a plug-in hotplate and a couple of small pots, no microwave and no regular oven. Self-catering for the family was therefore difficult even though it was an apartment. - smoke alarm was missing. I pointed this out to staff but it wasn't replaced 24hrs later - very bad smell from kitchen sink - we had to keep the plug in to stop the smell - no cloths for washing or drying dishes were provided (again making self-catering difficult).

- location was great for our trip to Phantasialand - short walk to Phantasialand shuttle bus and to the U-bahn to/from Cologne. - plenty of room for our family of 4 (two double beds, one single)

The rooms were clean and well-kept.
    • Quadruple Room

Requested parking before arriving. There is a free parking lot available near the site but it's a public parking lot. Free spots are hard to come by. The gasthaus' parking is 10Eur and by reservation only. If we had not found a free parking spot, not sure if our parking reservation was in the books.

The rooms were clean and well-kept. Bathroom and toilet in working order.

Good location, but not a great hotel

The room had absolutely no climate control and got extremely hot. Sounds from the other rooms were very loud because of the thin walls. My request for a parking space through the app was completely ignored, so only paid parking was available.

Central location. Good beds. Very close to Phantasialand.

Hard to say in a sentence, unfortunately.

This guest house/hotel's restaurant is like a 50-meter walk from the actual location of the guest room, it is in a separate building. Their parking, a 100 meter walk or so. So you are like going around 3 different accommodations. One in 3 different places, but we didn't let ourselves be bothered by that "unusual" setup. We respect everybody's culture and business. Now, the guy receptionist and the waiter (Sunday, 6th August 2017) were equally disrespectful and arrogant. I've been with booking.com for more than 10 years, very satisfied. I have travelled a 3rd of the globe, experienced different hotels and this is my first time to write about such a bad experience with hotel staff. The cleaning woman was way much better! Thumbs up to her! First, the restaurant waiter who would hardly open their restaurant door just because it's only 9:30am, and not exactly 10am yet (their breakfast time). I was knocking at the door to get his attention, and he was ignoring me at first. I just wanted to ask a question. Apparently, the receptionist will only come at 10. But who and where else should I go to? He then, finally, annoyingly opened the door "half-opened", as if he thought I'd push my way in! And said, "10! 10!" My husband saw and heard everything, so he said, "let's go. we'll just eat somewhere else". We were both upset. So after having breakfast somewhere else (it's not about the money I additionally paid for their breakfast, but it's the behavior of the staff that we walked away), at check-out, I have calmly mentioned to the receptionist-in-charge on that day about the restaurant waiter who won't open the door. The receptionist replied: "We only open at 10 and the waiter doesn't speak English. Not everybody speaks English. It's not our fault" (that was his exact words! que horror!

restaurants and shops within a few steps away . Bed is comfy.

Nice big room.

No soap in either bottles. Dirty glasses in the bathroom. Cleaning staff just opened door at 9:30 on day of departure expecting us to leave room earlier than check out time. Noise from traffic and party people outside windows late at night. Also very easy to hear neighbours walking around upstairs at 6 am...

Nice big room. Modern and recently redone.

Nice downtown hotel

It was very hot, a fan would have been nice. Noisy on the street side. Restaurant was closed in the morning for breakfast, nobody for check out.Only Emergency exit for rooms on the street side was the stairs.

In downtown, it was clean.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Great location. Nothing else.

The room was adequate but not great. Very crammed and dark. Bathroom a bit dirty with multicoloured splatters on the white tiles. Parking was an adventure in an automated garage with moving platforms. My car 'just' fitted snugly in and later it turned out that it was too heavy for the contraption. We were ready to depart after our two day stay and would not consider booking there again.

Excellent location near centre of Brühl. Also close to tram which goes directly to Cologne centre.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

The location was perfect for getting to Phantasialand.
    • Standard Single Room

The room has no tea-making facilities I couldn't get anything on the TV at all

The location was perfect for getting to Phantasialand. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable

Comfortable stay near Phantasialand at good price
    • Comfort Double Room

Breakfast was only available as of 10am (!) but the staff kindly made us aware of alternative possibilities in town.

We were looking for an alternative for the highly priced but fully booked resort hotels of the nearby Phantasialand, just to stay overnight in order to be early at the park's opening. We were not disappointed! The room was spacious, with bath and shower in an enormous bathroom, and very clean.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

5 star service 3 star price

N/a

Room was in lovely yellow townhouse a street away from the restaurant. Breakfast excellent ,staff very friendly and helpful . Manager spoke perfect English and couldn't have been nicer . 5 star service 3 star price . Only short tram / train ride to Cologne . Town also had there own Xmas market . Highly recommended

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Great location, very central place.
    • Standard Apartment

Wifi signal is very weak. Spots on towels. Free parking is limited in front of the hotel.

Great location, very central place. Luxury apartment with 2 bedrooms and a small kitchen.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Don't judge a book by its cover
    • Standard Apartment

Free parking advertized, but not available. Apartment was difficult to reach. Pictures looked much better than the real thing. Kitchen and bathroom looked like from the 80s. Pictures suggested sth fully modern.

Spaciaous flat.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

Good location, clean and comfortable

We were given a "voucher" for a discount for breakfast at a bakery however as it turns out this was not a discount at all but just a voucher saying what we could buy for that price, the lady in the bakery was very rude about it as we were trying to make sense of the situation. Our towels were taken away however were not replaced so we only had small hand towels to use the second day.

The room was large and clean, bed was comfortable!

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Unique in the heart of Brühl

One needs to schedule coming and going around desk and staff hours. Accommodations are not all in same building.

Located in the heart of Brühl and authentic accommodation.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Not worth the price

The towels smelled from smoke and had old spots on. Our room smelled from smoke, which we told te staff. They only said: "OK", but really didn't care. The drain in the shower was clogged and the shower curtain was dirty. We wasn't informed that there were several guesthouses and that we had to walk some blocks to come to our guesthouse. Could be good to inform guests about that. We had arranged to be picked up by friends at the address in the booking, which wasn't the guesthouse address. The stay wasn't worth the price.

Near the shops and castle.

Very close to Fantasialand
    • Apartment

All a bit cramped and past its best. Hard to find

Very close to Fantasialand Easy walking access to restaurants

Cantral in Brühl

Simple layout

Breakfast. Restaurant very stylish

Convenient location for area attractions.

No air conditioning, bathroom and hallway needed cleaning.

Comfortable beds, very good location.

Friendly staff, good breakfast

there was no warm water in the whole house, very cold shower in the morning

Friendly staff, good breakfast

la situation

les places de garage

la situation

Very comfortable
    • Standard Apartment

Walls too thin, noisy neighbours, barking dogs

Noisy neighbour, no tea making facilities.

Comfortable accommodation. Plenty of hot water, towels etc.

It was good except heating.

It was good except heating. Bonn was 2 Celcius degrees at the night we stayed there, and the heating was not working.

Good location, excellent experience

Breakfast is a little late.

Good location, excellent experience

I will rest here again.
    • Quadruple Room

It wasn't clear when booking whether breakfast was included in the price of the room and I forgot to ask when I checked in...

The room was large and clean, and helpfull staff.
    • Standard Apartment

Nobody for check out. Tried to call the staff but no one answered.

The room was large and clean, and helpfull staff.

no breakfast before 9.

no breakfast before 9.30

• Comfort Double Room

Service not all time

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

very good stay...

Always hard to get the good temperature of water in the shower... but ok!

The hostess was fantastic and so kind...

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Large shower, nice outside Space

Good room but some diy-stuff that make it not really professional

Large shower, nice outside Space

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

The breakfast is a joke - even if it´s so cheap!

The breakfast is a joke - even if it´s so cheap! The bed was clean but the bathroom wasn´t and the room wasn´t made cleaned.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

No warm water available for shower!

No warm water for the shower!!!

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Location middle in centrum.

No airco in the room . Invest in New towels .

Location middle in centrum. Private carpark.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Recommended

Bed were excellent clean and nice rooms.

• Reviewed: 17 April 2016

Very comfy twin room with dividing door

Breakfast at local cafe (special rate) Rooms are 200yd from restaurant where you check in.

Very comfy twin room with dividing door Old city location, near Bruhle Palace

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

Central, close to the Castle, city center and Train Station.

The toilet has a glass door, which does not provides you any privacy. No telefon in the room, no Internet avaible. Staff was not so friendly.

Central, close to the Castle, city center and Train Station. Room is confortable and clean.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2015

Room was modern and the bed was comfortable.

There were loud young people outside on the street until late, but windows offered decent soundproofing. This guest house has rooms in more than one property located a modest distance apart, and my relatives staying in a different building couldn't get a wifi connection.

Room was modern and the bed was comfortable. Room had clearly been recently renovated. Excellent Wifi connectivity.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

Close to centre with plenty to see and plenty of places to...

Reserved a parking place but difficult to access it. Breakfast was not at the hotel and the instructions were misleading.

Close to centre with plenty to see and plenty of places to eat although you can't always use credit cards.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2015

The elevator was a nice addition (once we discovered how to...

It did not have many shops nearby and the drop-off point was awkward. An included breakfast would have made our stay much more worth it as well...especially since there is an attached restaurant.

The elevator was a nice addition (once we discovered how to use it). It also included a double bed...a luxury compared to some of the other accommodations we had

• Reviewed: 10 August 2015

we spend the day at fantasialand so the location is pretty...

The room is really basic for 147euros, no welcoming kit with a decent soap, no coffee or tea maker, we had the worst sleep in our all life the bed made so much noise everytime my wife or myself turn around during our sleep you had the awake your partner.No code for internet access, the welcoming book it's all in germain so if you don't speak the language you screw. I will most definitely not recommend this hotel to any one event my worst enemy, apart if you don't care about your sleep but for a hotel or guest house, I think that the least you can expect, it take us a good hour to figure out the TV. Pay more and go somewhere else.

we spend the day at fantasialand so the location is pretty good, but that about it on think we like about this place...

• Reviewed: 6 August 2015

beds were comfortable and towels were changed

very unfriendly welcome. made to pay for parking which was included according to our booking (20 euros) but she asked for 40 initially. Made to pay for put you up bed even though it seemed from the booking that this was included in the 260 euros for 2 nights. Not enough forks, bowls and nothing included in the price, not even a teatowel. It would have been nice as the restaurant was next door to have left a welcome pack of tea, coffee etc or at the very least there should be a mini bar from which to purchase.

beds were comfortable and towels were changed

• Reviewed: 21 June 2015

The location in brühl was great, easy commute to köln.

Could not find parking lot! It's accessed thru a parkplatz that is at the very end of dead end road! Cleaning lady barged in too early and was rude when we asked to have her come back at check out time.

The location in brühl was great, easy commute to köln. Room was spacious and clean

• Reviewed: 26 May 2015

It was only a seven minute drive to Phantasialand and near...

It was a little difficult to get to with it being downtown and check-in was a little difficult since the rooms are in a separate building- but these were minor things.

It was only a seven minute drive to Phantasialand and near several restaurants. The rooms themselves were pretty cool and gave us everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2015

Checking out

Hotel did not even have a check in desk - I had to go to a restaurant to do so. The room was very very dated and was above a hairdressing shop. It was extremely overpriced for what it was. No breakfast, no lobby, no facilities and the heating did not work well. It looked like someones bedroom or a bed sit and I would never stay here again.

Checking out

• Reviewed: 1 March 2016

Very good room and helpfull staff

There was a funny smell in the hotel but that might have to do with some construction work.

Very good room and helpfull staff

There are also 24 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Gästehaus Balthasar Neumann traveller photo gallery