Reviews of Gästehaus Graupner

#8 of 8 B&Bs and Inns in Bamberg

6.1

6.2

5.7

Very nice, clean and quiet rooms, parking place at the back...

Very nice, clean and quiet rooms, parking place at the back of the building, very good breakfast, for sure would like to come back to this place again

Reasonably priced in a popular town. Clean and bright.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Don't do the breakfast. While is is reasonable - the buns were dry and hard. You can get a better breakfast in Wurzburg.

The location is great. You can walk into town but we enjoyed the breweries close by. A vibrant area!

good stay but the key arrangement was awkward.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Arrangement for key collection. Had to trek into central Bamberg to pick up a key to gain access to property.

Breakfast good, bed comfortable, pleasant staff at breakfast service

Expensive for this second rate accommodation.

You had to go and collect the keys from another address 2km away, where it was impossibly to park legally. The property was a 30 minute walk from the town centre. The wifi only worked in or near the breakfast area not in our room. Our room had a frosted glass window between the bathroom and the stairs - lack of privacy. The drains in the kids' room stank.

The staff at the property were helpful, but were only there at breakfast time. There was a good brewery down the road.

Miserable experience!!
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Reception was in a very distant place with no parking. Also there were no maps and info in the box when i arrived there. I called the lady at the reception, who spoke only German to me, and she insisted the maps were in the box. There were none left and she refused to believe me! I only found the place with great difficulty and with the kindness of strangers. the old town was a very long walk from the room. I also had to walk to the other end of the guesthouse to get any internet at all. Cannot recommend this place in any way! !

Next time I will read the fine print more closely.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Being required to collect the key from a different place. Also, we said we would be arriving late but were not notified that there would be no one there to receive us.

The room was nice and clean.

I would never stay here again....ever.

We had big problems. 1. Parking outside the hotel to check in and receive keys.on a busy one way street. 2. The location of the apartments was at least 15 minutes away from check in by car, across a busy city with one way streets only and many traffic lights. 3 The location of the apartments was in a run down area, no shops or restaurants within walking distance. 4 the keys given us did not fit the entrance door, luckily another guest let us in. 5 The room was not as booked. The key did not fit the door, which had been left open. So we could not feel safe sleeping there. 6. The door number given was wrong. 7..The room was very small and felt like a prison cell. It was clearly budget and not what we had chosen. 8 We had to carry our cases downstairs again, reload the car and drive back across town to the main hotel. By this time the reception desk was empty and no staff were around for a short while. 9. The receptionist was very apologetic and gave us another room within the main hotel. 10. There were unpleasant odours in the shower room/bathroom. 11. The room was stuffy, minimal ventilation available. 12. Overnight parking was at a municipal , underground park house, several streets away and a fifteen minute walk from the hotel to find our way back on foot. 13. No wi-fi

The breakfast was excellent

How not to see Bamberg.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

I had booked the place on line. It sounded good and the address given was near the center of Town. That is where we checked in but not where we stayed. See below for details. I found this place insulting. It ruined our enjoyment of this beautiful little town.

I liked nothing about the Gasthof!! This is an awful, overpriced, rip off of a property. We were put up in a different semi-industrial building way away from the center of Bamberg in what seemed to be an industrial section. The room was small and ugly. There was no air conditioning and no elevator. The tiny shower had a nail sticking out of the shower door. The tv did not work neither did the promised wifi and there is no staff on the premises in the evening. It was worse than a student hostel.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Handy place to stay.

Key and check in at other hotel/cafe in town, as it is also on a busy town centre street, parking to pop in for key can be a problem.

In a quiet area for traffic but not too far from town centre.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Low expectations from the start so no actual disappointment

Picking up the key in the city centre was a bit of a pain, especially when it turned out the key was not at the hotel at all but at the guesthouse itself. There was no maid service to speak of, just emptying of bins. The WiFi was all over the place, going from fair to poor to disappearing altogether. Having only one key between the two of us was inconvenient when one of us wanted to leave the room while the other remained within. It's not safe to leave someone in the room with the door either locked (no way to exit in case of fire) or unlocked.

The room was large and the bathroom huge. The breakfast was rather good, better than expected. Although the choice of food wasn't extensive, the items available were fresh and tasty. Free parking was quite a bonus, although on the second morning one of the bakery staff parked behind our car instead of in an available space. At least she was easy to find and moved her car immediately. The location, though a fair walk from the city centre, was quite acceptable as it was very near Mahrs brewery.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Bamberg is a beautiful town, lots Of brewries, pastries, excellent food, bakeries.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

In the reservation We made, We didn't read that the Key neexex to be pi ked up in the other hotel and had to do a walking with very cold day.

Chance to a better location, more expensive Of course but in the center which belongs to the same family. Comfortable room, bathroom very small, breakfast and staff service excellent.;

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Very nice breakfast.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

We had to check in at the hotel in the city in Langestrasse then drive 2km to the guesthouse to our room. We had booked a double room but because the hotel mixed up the booking we were given a twin room instead. The manager wasn't particularly nice when we refused his offer of a double room in the main hotel for a higher price. Wifi was advertised as being available and it was not.

Very nice breakfast. The staff at the guesthouse were helpful & friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

Horror!

I arrived at noon. The house (is not a hotel) was closed; nobody to welcome the customers! Behind the house there was a site were few people were working on the back façade and one of them let me know I should go somewhere in the city in order to get the room's key! I walked 30 min to find the location (another so called hotel). The person in charge (not English speaking!) gave me the key and asked for the payment in advance!! I refused, arguing that on my reservation there is nothing mentioned in this respect. Eventualy I came back to the "house" and I found the smallest room I have ever experienced (smaller than in Japan), looking more like a student room than a hotel room. Not a very clean room, with some mosquitos and also spiders on the corners. Tiny bathroom, no shower gel, shampoo, for which I had to ask ... In fact, the whole house looked like a former student dorm. Breakfast starts at 8.00 a.m. and is very poor. More than 90% of people in town do not speak English, so it's very hard to manage for those arrived for first time in Bamberg.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Great value, comfortable and clean guesthouse

On site Parking lot was limited to only three spots. Tough finding parking on street when lot was full.

Comfortable and clean guest house. The complimentary breakfast was always fresh and delicious.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

The price was really good.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

On the map in booking.com is shown location of Hotel Graupner not Gasthaus Graupner which is far from the old center of Bamberg. I have reserved double bed but I have received 2 singles.

The price was really good. Private parking.

Was clean, friendly staff.

Location, key was on other location.

Was clean, friendly staff.

nice, affordable stay in the center!
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

having to pick up the keys in another location was a bit of a hassle but it was quick.

very nice breakfast, wifi, and location!

Great location, good accommodation

The surcharge for payment with credit card is old-fashioned and unnecessary. Other hotels no longer charge for this.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2016

I was told that I would have to stay in an extension of the hotel at the other end of town, in a poor neighborhood with very poor lighting, and no parking available. I booked the hotel based on the location and the availability of rooms in town. I had no transportation to get around town and the overflow rooms were about 8 miles from hotel. I spent over 3 hours walking around with my luggage until I found a room and ended up paying twice the amount I agreed to.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2015

The location was a fine compromise between price of stay and...

I can't think of any dislikes... It was a great place to stay for a few nights.

The location was a fine compromise between price of stay and distance to the altstadt. The walk from the hotel into the aldstadt was nice, walking by a few breweries and pretty sections of town, and along the river. We enjoyed our walks, even walking home late at night was nice. About a 25 minute walk, taking our time. I liked the lack of carpeting in the room; we had two dogs with us. The parking was off street, and arriving on a busy Friday night, we were very happy to have a parking space. The breakfast was very typical- breads, cheeses, meats, cereal, musli, hard boiled eggs, coffee and OJ, and some fresh fruit. The staff was very kind and sweet.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2015

I liked the facilities and decor.

lThe web site suggest the guest house is in the center of town, but it is several kms away. If you don't know, you go to the guest house/pension then learn that to check in an obtain the key you have to travel to the main hotel at the center of town. If you are using a taxi or walking it become a logistical challenge. Could be that is it was because we arrived on a Monday, which is a ruhetag or day off.

I liked the facilities and decor. The room was well equipped and clean. The breakfast room was very nice and breakfast was excellent. Service was excellent too. The location of the guesthouse is ok (with a car), about 2 km from downtown. The plus is on a quiet street.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2015

We had a problem with our plumbing (did not like), but they...

It was far from clear from this sight that the actuall guesthouse is almst 2 km from the hotel where you must get the key. That aspect is super inconvenient.

We had a problem with our plumbing (did not like), but they moved us immediately.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2015

Room is clean

Hotel just gave key to tell us that you need go to another place when we arrived hotel, the second place is 30 minutes far away by walk. It was not the loction in Booking, not very good!

Room is clean

• Reviewed: 11 February 2015

main house is in a very convenient location.

staff wasn't available when we wanted to check out. breakfast was minimal: oats, fruit cocktail, okay coffee

main house is in a very convenient location. gastehaus a bit less so. very friendly staff. most were english-speaking, which made things easier for us. nearest parkplatz was only 8€/night

• Reviewed: 24 July 2015

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

There were no wifi acces in the room and cockroaches were waiting for me.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2015

Large room

Long walk from station, collect key , long walk back to station

Large room

There are also 5 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.