Reviews of Hotel Gendarm nouveau This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Charlottenstraße 61, Mitte, 10117 Berlin, Germany

#110 of 579 hotels in Berlin

• Comfort Double Room

View of the cathedral was disappointing. Only one lift and it was under repair for a period of time and we had to climb the stairs.

Excellent location. Modern and bright spacious room.

• Comfort Double Room

Construction works in front of the hotel. No charger sockets at the bed head.

Clean rooms, fancy reception desk, good restaurants and bars near by. Shopping very close.

• Comfort Double Room

Everything. Rooms big, lovely and clean. Ladies best hair dryer in all of Europe. Close to all transport and the Hop on hop of buses. Staff lovely and very helpful.

• Comfort Double Room

The hotel is amazing. The location is fabulous - at the Gendarmenmarkt. We had the double room with a balcony and an amazing view. The room was big, clean, with all amenities necessary. The staff was extremely helpful - they let us in early, called on the phone to inform us that the room was ready for an early check in.

• Comfort Double Room

It is perfectly located very close to many turistic places. The room althogh it was clean and comfortable it was a bit small, but I loved it anyway. I recommend it 100%!!

The purpose of a hotel is to sleep. We did not sleep. The beds are rock hard, they need mattress-toppers. The pillows were truly appalling, such that I used the pillowcase on a cushion. For the money I should not have had to do that.

The hotel is right next to the Gendenmarkt - one of Berlin's prettiest squares, so a perfect location. And it is 'dressed' beautifully. The breakfast was expensive but fabulous. Some decent pillows and mattress-toppers and it would be perfect.

Junior suit did not offer view to Gendarmenmarkt Square as good as expected.

Location was of course great and room was well equipped, nice, big, comfortable (Junior suit room type). Hotel itself is quite small, not much to do there but thanks to location it is exactly what is needed.

• Penthouse Suite

This beautiful suite was so clean and comfortable, and the soaking tub was just perfect for me, after leaving a stressful job, and needing time to relax. I slept so well, and the

• Business Double Room

No one took us to our room to explain heat/phone, etc.

Beds very comfortable. Room was very quite. Staff was very friendly and helpful about touring. Clothes storage very spacious and useful.

• Business Double Room

One of our group was downgraded to a temporary room in the basement next to the laundry. However I was upgraded but all the rooms should have been the minimum standard of what we booked. The €10 discount for his room wasn’t acceptable.

Cleanliness of the hotel, pleasant and helpful staff.

• Comfort Double Room

Nothing (but we stayed just for one night this time)

Great option in Berlin center. Location is best possible, right near U-Bahn. In a very central, but not crowdy district.

• Classic Single Room

I found the price of breakfast exceedingly high. At the coffee shops around the corner you would pay half the price or less.

A nice small hotel in a very good, central location.

• Business Double Room

Modern boutique hotel with spacious comfortable rooms & friendly staff, centrally located next to Gendarmenmarkt . Good bakeries and coffee shops are close by ( Rausch Schokoladenhaus, Quchnia, Einstein Kaffee) and if you're looking to explore the city, the Stadtmitte U-Bahn station is across the street. Good Wifi and comfortable working area in the room make it easy for business travelers. All in all its a great location and I know I will be coming back on the next trip to Berlin .. soon !

• Comfort Double Room

Initial room allocated had dust on fixtures, damaged fittings in bathroom, leaks. Second room had damaged bathroom fittings. General indifference of other staff. Expensive underwhelming breakfast.

Central location. Spacious room. One staff member who was great.

2 single beds joined together instead of a double bed

Loved the location ... perfect for bars and restaurants and walking distance to all attractions! 5 mins from checkpoint Charlie 10 mins to Potsdamer Platz 15 mind to Reichstag Hotel is clean and ideal for a city break

• Business Double Room

May be I didn't put the "Do not disturb" note on my door, but it was super annoying that the cleaning stuff was coming every hour since 7-8 am, opening my door and checking if I'm out. They should know when I'm inside and not bother me every hour and closing the door super loud when they see I'm still in and I'm still sleeping.

The staff at the front desk was very friendly, the room was big and very comfortable. Location is perfect, very central and close to the metro, walking distance to famous places, very nice bakery just few steps away.

• Comfort Double Room

There are no power points beside the bed

There is a u-Bahn station literally at the doorstep, which makes traveling very convenient. We took the train or walk to everywhere we want to go including the Museum Island. The location being close to Gendarmnenmark is fantastic. As we were there over Christmas, we enjoyed going to the Christmas market. The city hop-on hop-off stops nearby too.

• Comfort Double Room

I was put in a (what was supposed to be a room accessorised for handicapped people but the shower had a step). Lamp did not work in my room nor in the lobby making it very dark and almost impossible to read. Cleaning left 2 dirty bottles on the floor Cushioncovers did not fit the cushions which made it very unpleasant. Nooot a 4 star hotel!

Location but that is not the hotel’s merit

• Business Double Room

I didn't like the relatively (too) soft bed and pillows... No special facilities, but that suited me just fine, as I wasn't planning on spending free time at the hotel.

Great location - right next to Gendarmenmarkt square and just steps from the U-Bahn station (Stadtmitte). Boutique'ish, friendly staff, nice clean rooms, fair sized and a spacious bathroom. WiFi perfect.

• Business Double Room

I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Gendarm Neuveau. My room was very clean and comfortable with big windows opening to a really nice view of the square diagonally across the road. The bed was very comfortable. The amenities and the bathroom were pretty new and were in very good condition. The location was very convenient with a U-Bahn station and supermarket across the road. And it was walking distance to many attractions.

• Comfort Double Room

No ventilation in the bathroom (or I couldn't find it)

Room was clean, relatively spacious, bathroom was ok, however there was not ventilation in it. Very close to the place where I had meeting. Next year I'll pick the same hotel for my business trip to Berlin. I had troubles connecting to wifi, but since I didn't really need it, it was not a big issue. Receptionist offered me help in solving the issue. I'm sure if i need it, we would solve the problem immediately

• Comfort Double Room

What can I say, Berlin is beautiful and this hotel is very close to Checkpoint Charlie, you can walk or rent a bike to check Berlin's City Center. Great attention from the staff. 100% Recommended

• Business Double Room

Many eateries were a tad expensive so not the place for “cheap and cheerful”. Best to head to a neighbouring area for that.

Smack in the middle of a very nice part of town - rather up market. You felt safe walking in the evening.

• Comfort Double Room

The walls were a little thin so we were woken by our neighbours a touch too early in the morning! There isn't a great deal of choice regarding food and drink nearby - a lot of the places are expensive and touristy, though you can easily use public transport to get to areas that have more choice.

The staff were super helpful and friendly, there was an issue with our room and they went out of their way to make sure we were happy. The rooms are very comfortable, not overheated like a lot of rooms in Berlin! The hotel is very close to a lot of the main sights in Berlin which makes it ideal for first timers.

• Business Double Room

A tiny detail - repelenish the lotion daily next time please. Its a tiny bottle and there were two of us using it so it would be helpful if we didnt have to ask for it

Location was perfect - close to public transportation!!! Very clean.

• Comfort Double Room

There was some problem with communication between Booking and the hotel. They did not receive all the changes in my reservation I have done few days before arrival.

• Comfort Double Room

No air con (to be fair it's an old building). Windows do open fully but onto a noisy(ish) street which could be a problem if you're a light sleeper.

Excellent location right on the Gendarmenmarkt. Room and bathroom were modern and clean.

• Comfort Double Room

Information and assistance from staff with an issue I had while staying at the hotel. This was fortunately alleviated by a follow up from the hotel manager after the stay.

Nice bathroom. Good location.

• Comfort Double Room

Shower leaked Service was not professional we asked for alternate room... they showed a room Half the size and said its the same... we are neither blind nor stupid we remained in the original one with the leak... Wifi slow Garbage cans dragged in the morning.. Not the best wakep

Reasonable breakfast Great location

• Comfort Double Room

Our room overlooked the hotel dumpsters, that was our window view. However, that wasn't the issue. Early in the morning some workers would come by to collect waste and replace the dumpsters. This process was so nosy and i ended up waking so early and i couldn't go back to sleep. Moreover, the reception area was so tiny and there wasn't a concierge. Whenever we had i question, they weren't able to provide us with an asnwer. In addition, there wasn't an AC in the room and in July and August you'd need some ventilation becouse the room would get so hot! Finaly, our checkout was at 12 pm and we asked for an extention of one hour and they agreed to that. But at 12:45 while we were getting back to our room, the housekeeping were literaly sitting on the floor infront of our room waiting for us to leave! As soon as we grabbed our luggage and opend the door, they marched in! That was so unprofessional and we got really pissed! I mean you would expect more from a four star hotel honestly.

The furniture was modern and new. Thr location was great.

• Comfort Double Room

When we arrive the hotel, the receptionist -who is terribly inexperienced- told us that the elevator is not working for a while and won't work in near future! Our room was in3rd floor, and everyday we climbed those stairs after a long working day. Pillows are the worst pillows I've ever seen in a hotel! Even 2 star hotels don't use that kind of pillows. I will never stay there again.

Location was really good.

• Comfort Double Room

The hotel was up to a 3 star hotel standard, the extra fourth was a bit too much. The beds should be one mattress if they are a wider alternative not to separate ones.

Mostly friendly staff. Nice breakfast. Great Location.

• Comfort Double Room

Beware that if you want to sleep Long, houskeeping starts at 9 in the morning even at the week-ends and as the floor is tiny you may be disturbed by it.

Central location, nice rooms

• Business Double Room

Does it matters that it has no huge foyer to boast? It doesn't to me and this is such a nice hotel with nice people.

Location. The best in Berlin. Surrounded by restaurants. Next to U Station. It is very important to us that we choose a hotel within walking distance from restaurants and you feel safe at night. Gendarm Nouveau is such a hotel. We had a lovely view of the Dome.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Could only get BBC news. Would have been fab to get some more English channels as I was travelling with a child.

Location is excellent. Walking distance to most sights. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Restaurants, cafes and bakeries on every corner. Cultural centre so gorgeous buildings surround you.Photo attached is the view from our window. Ask for a room with a view before younger there!

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast was a little expensive, but then you come to expect that. Lack of general lounge, thought here was a very small area around reception.

Fantastic location in upmarket area, nice restaurants and bars, and close to where we needed to be. Helpful, friendly staff and lovely spacious, clean room and well stocked bathroom.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• Family Room

Initially it was supposed to be 3 of us so we booked a Family room for 4 People. It was 2 of us in the end. But the room was HUGE, with two double bedrooms, a great big bathroom with a bath and a shower, a separate toilet, an amazing view onto the Gendarmerie cathedrals and it was Close to everything. Price wise compared to the rest of Eaurope and what we got it was amazing, it is not a chain Hotel and it is Boutique'y, much much better than chain Hotels with old stereotypical rooms. The Service was excellent and we were always approached for Feedback which means it will onky get better. Overall probably best value for Money I have received in a while.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast is good but it could be improved

The location is exceptional. In a 20-minutes walk you can be almost anywhere in the center of Berlin. Close to museums, shopping, good restaurants and so on. This boutique hotel has wonderful clean and spacious rooms, very helpful staff so all in all it was a very good experience for a Berlin City Break during Christmas Markets season.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

• Comfort Double Room

I thought the staff at reception could have been friendlier. Felt uncomfortable asking for things. Shower floor could have been re-grouted it was mouldy and felt unclean. Apart from that everything was immaculate. Very chic boutique hotel.

Room was large and comfortable. Fantastic location in the middle of the city. Breakfast was very nice and service was great. Nice quiet boutique hotel. Close to everything.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Comfort Double Room

The bathrooms. No bath. Shower head did not work properly. Soap dispenser hard to use. Towels small.

The location is excellent. The intimacy of a small hotel and excellent staff added much to a very happy stay.

Double bed as requested consisted of two singles pulled together - comfy enough though. Small bar area in reception was a bit non descript and doesn't appear to be used by many

Great location right next to Gendarmarket which still had Christmas market on at the time of our visit for New Year which was a real bonus. Close to a good selection of restaurants & shops and ideal position to walk to the many sights. Underground train stations on your doorstep which are cheap , reliable and great way to get about.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Executive Double Room

I kind of hoped there will be a city view from the window...

The hotel is in great position in the city center! The room was nice with cool old schooled equipment. And the bed was awesome - big and comfy! Breakfast buffet was more than satisfying and the lady who worked there was super nice!

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

mattresses were too soft - felt like its time to replace them. Otherwise, room and bathroom are excellent, and great value for money -stayed on a November weekend

location, room, staff

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Very nice hotel. Room was very large and everything is new and worked well. Room is very quiet. Location is very good in a very nice area to walk and do shopping. Cheaper than other hotels in the area but great hotel, luxurious.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Even on several attempts, staff didn't manage to provide second room key. Toilet flush was insufficient, should be fixed.

Location right next to Gendarmenmarkt, in walking distance to many attractions. Spacious and quiet room, nice bathroom.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The location was excellent especially being near to Christmas as it was only a short walk to the nearest market. Tourist areas were easy to walk to. The staff were extremely polite and friendly.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Would have been nice to have dressing gown. Shower gel dispenser in shower was difficult to use. No hair conditioner supplied.

Excellent location. Room was very clean.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Maybe it's a minor issue but on after our first day there, our towels were not changed. They day after we got only one towel although we were a couple.

The location is great.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Executive Double Room

I booked a certain category of room and was given a different, lesser category on arrival without being informed of this at reception. When I complained about this I was not offered a reason why and nothing was done as a gesture of goodwill to remedy the situation. I was just informed that as I did not stay in the room I had booked, I would be charged slightly less in accordance with the lesser room price. Not happy as would not have stayed here if I knew I was not going to be allocated the room I had booked. Also, double rooms do not have a double bed, only two single beds pushed together which made it too uncomfortable to sleep together in the middle and forced us to sleep separately.

The location was great. The hotel was clean and nicely decorated.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The internet access in my room is terrible. I have little to none access to the internet. I have to go to the lobby or a nearby café to work, which is inconvenient during my stay at the hotel.

Staff members are very friendly. It's at a perfect location in Berlin, and the design of this hotel is modern.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Comfort Double Room

We loved the rooms and the location on the Gendarm Square. It is right next to an amazing chocolate shop. It just near to the S-bahn stop but also only a few minutes walk from the Unter den Linden and Checkpoint Charlie in the other direction.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Ideally placed for Stadtmitte, 15 mins walk from Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag and Checkpoint Charlie; one minute from U-Bahn Stadtmitte, two mins. from Gendarmenmarkt hop-on hop-off bus tour stop. Excellent buffet breakfast with smiling staff both there and in reception. Very comfortable room overlooking Charlottenstraße and well soundproofed.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Executive Double Room

Excellent hotel in great location. Welcoming, friendly, helpful, efficient staff. Well appointed and comfortable rooms. Fresh and clean décor in rooms and public areas. Although in the heart of the city, the street outside is quiet at night. Stadtmitte U-Bahn station is two minutes walk. The hotel has no restaurant but there are dozens of great bars, cafes and restaurants within a few minutes walking distance.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Extremely well located next to the U-Bahn line U2 & U6. Next to shops and restaurant and sights. Hotel is extremely clean, modern and quiet. I had a single room in the attic, beautiful window looking over the Deutscher Dome. Super comfortable mattress, nice bedding. Elevator in the hotel. The décor and the furniture makes the places very comfortable and enjoyable.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The bed was OK but a little hard for my personal taste.

The location was GREAT for downtown Berlin Mitte. Close to the attractions and grocery stores. Both The Mall of Berlin & Checkpoint Charlie are both about 4-5 blocks away and a grocery store across the street in The Q, plus another 1.5 blocks away that stays open till midnight (Closed on Sunday).

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Executive Double Room

I booked, and PRE-PAID in full (many weeks before arrival), via Booking.com, for a seventh floor executive room with a view of Gendarmenmarkt, but on arrival was told 'all these rooms were booked'. (no, I don't understand that either....the hotel had already had my money for weeks). Was given a lower grade 4th floor room, albeit decent, with a view of the square, and a cash rebate. But disappointing nonetheless. Then my room safe malfunctioned, locking all my valuables inside. However, the young lady who efficiently sorted out these problems was delightful, so a big thanks to her. But I wouldn't stay here again; the room situation has never happened to me in many previous visits to Berlin. Lots of other hotels to choose.

Good location, decent room (in the end), nice breakfast. Staff very helpful.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room

It was a bit pricey, but it was the weekend of the Berlin Marathon. Silly sink without a plug, uses lots of water. Lack of electricity at the desk.

Location. Staff. Kettle, tea and coffee, wide single bed.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room

My first experience where the price announced (374 € for 4 nights) is different from the amount charged (476 €). An extra "businesspaket" of 30 € per night is added on the bill printed only after you card has been charged ! No explanation available.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room

We had someone open our hotel door one night. We had a terrible fright. We went to check who it was but didnt find anyone. We phone dthe reception but the reception is closed at night. We tried to sleep the night and didnt tell the reception on our check out.

The hotel is very centrally situated next to the underground and in a more relaxed cultural part of the city. The hotel room was exquisite. The facilities are new, the bathroom clean and comfortable nothing to complain of.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Control of the air conditioner as the room was a bit stuffy and hot

This is a very comfortable place to stay right near a lot of the Berlin attractions. Rooms are well appointed, reception staff are friendly and the hotel is very clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• Comfort Double Room

There was no aircon and the room was very warm. We did open the window but on a night and in the morning it was very loud from the street.

The location was excellent and the staff were really friendly. The rooms were spacious and comfortable

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Comfort Double Room

I would have liked a view so upgrade if it's important to you.

Superb location next to Fassbender & Rausch. Very quiet. Small rooms but very comfortable.

• Comfort Double Room

Excellent location close to major sites of Berlin. Small in size with friendly accommodating staff.

Internet kept falling over or was slow. I was in room 31

Room was exceptionally comfortable

Great location, very friendly stuff, incredible view from room on 7th floor

• Comfort Double Room

Staff was super friendly, and the location was optimal. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was large and clean.

• Comfort Double Room

Great location for travelling round the city be it by foot or via public transport

• Comfort Double Room

Comfortable, big room. Great facilities. In a nice area.

• Comfort Double Room

Excellent breakfast and comfortable beds!

• Comfort Double Room

The bar area is not very welcoming and breakfast is a little expensive

The location is superb

• Comfort Double Room

great location nice little hotel

• Comfort Double Room

The hotel is in a very convenient location to the major attractions. The room is very comfortable and stylish.

• Comfort Double Room

Good location. Close to U-bahn and S-bahn. Clean and Tidy.

• Classic Single Room

Was put it the basements

Room was terrible

Nothing really.

Central location. Friendly staff. Couldn’t have asked for more.

Browse Hotel Gendarm nouveau traveller photo gallery