Reviews of City Hotel am Gendarmenmarkt

Leipziger Str. 65, Mitte, 10117 Berlin, Germany

#486 of 579 hotels in Berlin

Great location and clean and spacious rooms

The air conditioner worked very low, therefore the temperature in the room was higher than I expected

Great location, really close to Checkpoint Charlie. Room very clean.

It's a nice hotel in the heart of Berlin, near of a lot...

It's a nice hotel in the heart of Berlin, near of a lot of memorability and very close to the public transport. The hotel is very clear, comfortable with a large rooms. The staff is very kindly and helpful. If I return in Berlin , I'll stay there again.

great location, value for money.

NA

great location, value for money. if you need to stay one night in the centre it is a good choice. But i would not choose it if i travel with partner or family (not at all romantic or comfortable)

Unpleasant stay. Not what I expected.

Hot room and a defective air conditioning system. Staff not likable (except the lady who served the breakfast, who was always likable and helpful).

Actually, this is the 2nd time I stayed in this hotel. In the first time, I had no problem. However, this time it was different. Although the outside temperature was not high (15 degrees celsius), inside the room it was very warm. I switched on the air conditioner (central), but nothing happened. So I complained at the front desk. They moved me to the next door room. Again warm with an inoperative air conditioner. I complained again and they said they would have someone fix it the following day. I had to sleep shirtless and with the window opened, what made noise and sunlight invade my room early in the morning. In the evening of the following day, when I got to my room nothing had changed. So, once again I complained. The attendant said it was a problem with those rooms and moved me again. The new room.... the same: hot and no air conditioner. So I asked the attendant to call the manager, and, to my surprise, I was told the it was a problem with the whole hotel. Therefore, after packing and moving from room to room three times, when I checked out I said I wanted a discount to compensate all the trouble I had, and they gave me: 20 Euros. That must've been a joke!! I won't stay there anymore.

Well located hotel with big rooms if you need the extra space.

I didn't like the pillows, too soft for my taste. The place to have breakfast doesnt have any windows, I did not have breakfast one day there, I always went outside.

I liked the big room, and that the location of the hotel is perfect because you have many restaurants nearby. Fast internet connection was appreciated. Dont miss the Sushi 1 block away you have a place called: The Sushi Club.

Clean, comfortable, uncomplicated and well located!!

The area immediately surrounding the hotel entrance was not well lit and it was a bit disconcerting when I walked back to the hotel late at night. This of course is not the fault of the hotel!

I needed a simple, clean, comfortable, centrally located place to stay while I was attending meetings during the day and this hotel was perfect!

It was pleasant, comfortable and restful

I'd have liked a bath in my room instead of a shower I'd have liked a kettle in the room - hotels in England have tea facilities in the rooms, but maybe this is not a German custom

I was glad that the reception staff always helped me with questions about how to get around Berlin by public transport or on foot. All the staff were lovely and friendly and made me feel at home.

There was parking on premises for 30€/day or you could...

There was parking on premises for 30€/day or you could pay 7€/day and get a parking on the street on the block of the hotel. We obviously went with the latter. This hotel was prime location for a lot of WW2 attractions, so once we parked, we left the car and used the city transportation.

Convenient and comfortable !

I wish there was a bath mat outside of the shower, water got everywhere during each shower because the sliding door wasn’t sealed where it meets the tub. The heater also I think is broken. We couldn’t use it at night because of the noise it was making.

The size of the room was really great, plus al the windows were a wonderful surprise ! I enjoyed the location very much as it was a close walk to the metro and bus.

Aircondition was very noisy and we could not sleep. There was no parking, although mentioned in

Noisy aircondition. No parking for customers, although mentioned in the amenities. We asked to talk to the manager, but receptionist refused. Good location

Would definitely stay here again. Great value for location. Clean and comfortable.

The pillows were square and although soft and comfortable, they were awkward to adjust to get just right to lay your head on.

The room was great. The mini bar was handy too. Tasty breakfast. We were able to leave our case in the reception before and after our stay.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Good overall experience

No tea/coffee facilities in room. Very noisy on sat night. Could hear base music past 2am (sun night was quiet)

Fantastic location, friendly staff, lovely breakfast for €10 each

A very pleasant stay in Christmas time!
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom (6 persons)

At Booking.com it said that we could have a parking ticket for 7 Euros a day but this one wasn't available. That was unfortunate.

It was a very pleasant stay at the City Hotel am Gendarmenmarkt. The location is fantastic, most of the hotspots of Berlin are within walking distance and the Christmas fair at the Gendarmenmarkt was amazing. The beds were very good and the shower as well. Enough towels were offered and the room was cleaned every day. Personel was friendly and there was a parking garage where we could park our cars for 13 Euros a day. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel.

The hotel is right next to the prettiest square in Berlin,...

The hotel is right next to the prettiest square in Berlin, and you can walk to all the major sites - checkpoint Charlie, the museums, Brandenburg Gate. It was clean, comfy and value for money.

Good location, easy transport links.

Tea/Coffee facilities in the room would be an advantage. Be careful of charges for mini bar items, even the bottled water, which is placed on a table top making it look complimentary. Reception don't appear to hold change, even only a couple of euros.

Good location, easy transport links. Rooms clean and bright.

Take it for location

Very nice and clean hotel. It's very close to Checkpoint Charlie and Berlin Wall, Alexanderplatz and Rotrathaus - walking distance. U-bahn Stadtmitte is around the corner, so you can take it to the Berlin Zoo. Parking is paid, 13EUR/day at around the corner, it's closed multilevel public parking, but hotel provides a ticket for that.

Very accessible location, everything else is mediocre to bad.

There is nothing about this hotel that is worth recommending. The pictures are misleading - the rooms are ancient, and feel worn down. Almost all the accessories and the facilities show age and are kind of depressing. The hotel is right there on the main road, and there are no rooms where windows don't open to a busy street or parking lot. The staff is incredibly unfriendly. When I was checking in, the person on the front desk was busy just chatting with somebody rather than helping me getting in. There was another person who seemed to be just sitting inside doing nothing. I had requested an early check-in and even when I showed up late due to a delayed flight, the receptionist first informed me that the room was not ready, only to fix the mix-up. On one of the nights, I returned from a 12 hour work day only to find my room not cleaned. No fresh towels, glasses, or cleaned up beds. I went down to complain and all they could say was, we will talk to house-keeping. And continued talking and multi-tasking on other things, telling me that all they could do was give me fresh towels. In any other hotel that charges a 100 Euros a night, at this point they would have offered me either a room change, or just taking the night off my tab - all I got was a half hearted apology which started with "I don't know what happened". All in all, the hotel is not value for money. There are so many different options available in Berlin, and better and cheaper hotels in the neighbourhood. I would say, try those out. This hotel seems to have a long way to go to recognise that they are in the hospitality business, not in reluctant shelter providing.

The hotel has a good location. It is close to the stadmitte Ubahn station which means that almost all of Mitte is easily accessible. The restaurants, supermarkets, and a lot of landmarks are really close and you can even just walk there.

OKAY ONLY if you're really on a tight budget

My bathroom was unfortunately very old and smelled extremely unpleasant every time you used the shower. But other guests said their bathrooms were okay. Overall the place is very old and used, don't look too closely I'd say.

It was OKAY. Don't expect too much, don't go there if you are on holiday and want to treat yourself to something nice (because it's not nice) but okay if you are on a tight budget and only staying for a night or two maximum. Location is good, but honestly, with a bit more research you'd probably find something equally well located but much much nicer.

Would definitely return again.

Not applicable. My son would have preferred free wifi but It's not an issue for me.

Staff very helpful. Provided a kettle and iron when asked. Very clean with room tidied daily. No issues at all and enjoyed our five day stay.

Very happy with my stay here and would definetly stay again and recommend

We had a number of issues with our door that took a couple of days to sort but other than that nothing wrong

The location was perfect staff were really friendly and the room was a very good size

The hotel was ideally located and very clean, ideal for a...

Good location,with nice bar next door.. very clean and excellent vfm.

The hotel was ideally located and very clean, ideal for a group holiday, not a romantic Break.. there were two receptionists and they were poles apart in their customer service- one (evening) was excellent with a smile and would help too, the lady in the morning gave the impression we were interrupting her and didn’t want to help..

Decent hotel for location and price

Unreliable wi-fi, but that was our experience both in Berlin and northern Italy.

A friend of ours from Berlin recommended we stay near the Gendarmenmarkt square on our recent visit to Berlin. This hotel was one of the less expensive options. The hotel and room were clean. The free wi-fi was unreliable. We did not purchase the breakfast. There was complimentary wine in the evening. One evening we returned and found ourselves locked out of our room because the batteries had run down in the door lock. A staff person literally broke into our room using a key card and sliding it down the edge of the door, so if you do stay here, I would definitely recommend using the safe in the room. The staff was very nice and did give us a slight discount for the inconvenience.

Cleanness was fine.

First, when I did booking nowhere says the check in is at 3 pm and not refund was avalaible in case of cancel the booking. Usually when I arrive at other hotel before check in I can get the room if it is available and clean which is good! Recepcionist didn't even check if room was already clean , staff wasn't so friendly. Location was fine

Cleanness was fine.

Liked the Lowenbrau restaurant that was attached to the...
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Free Internet did not work, small room & shower, Air conditioner leaked onto one of the beds

Liked the Lowenbrau restaurant that was attached to the hotel.

Travel back in time

Breakfast was awesome, esp. when I stayed there at a discounted rate. It's in the Challotenburg area which is not exactly at the centre, but the S-Bhan pretty much takes you anywhere. Love the vintage everything too.

Correct, nice, no problem and really comfortable.

Lobby and reception area really poor and simple for a 4* hotel. Needs new design. Amenities in bathroom very very poor.

Bed very comfortable. Good shower and wonderful towels.

very bad stay. not recommended for families
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Aricondition didn't work and it was very hot in the room and the receptionist asked "it doesn't work or it doesn't work properly?" We said we were travelling with kids and 2 of them were under 1 year and they told us to "open the window". The hotel was placed near a busy street so it was very noisy 24/7. Cars were driving all night long plus a busy bar downstairs... the rooms were very small and it was very far away from the centrum if you don't have a car. The receptionists were not nice at all. Not recommended!

Quite disappointed

This is not a 4 star hotel. No reception for waiting. Poor wifi almost none. As I requested 1 double bed, they gave me 2 single bed. People wasn't helpful. Quite disappointed

Would 100% stay again at this hotel

The shower was blocked which wasn't a major issue. Also was not able to leave luggage in a secure location after check out. In front of reception desk at front door not secure.

The hotel was great value for money and as expected

Ok, but not a 4 star hotel, but location very ner the city centre.

Some personel was fantastic (nighttime). Some daytine personel was not as good. Dufficult to access by car. Smal rooms but clean.

It was marketed as an 4 star, but it's not. Perhaps a 3star

Good place
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom (6 persons)

We saw mold inside the bathroom. Staff was not helpful when we had a problem. AC took awhile to start working.

Well localized, close to many tourist point and also close to the subway. You can find a nice restaurant next to the hotel. Many supermarkets and bakeries in the area. A lot of space in the room. Good place to stay with friends.

Good value, decent sized room, quiet location.

They wanted to charge for WiFi which is advertised as free. Housekeeping was poor. Not replacing consumables or emptying bins. Staff a bit unfriendly, but I guess that's the german way.

Good value, decent sized room, quiet location.

The location is awesome and the rooms itself are pretty good.

The room was not cleaned and it was the last one in the hotel. We were offered a single room for half price, which was OK, but other option was "find a room in any other hotel at 10pm on Saturday yourself".

The location is awesome and the rooms itself are pretty good.

Location is good.
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Very small rooms. AC very loud. Not worth for money. I have been asked to deposit 50€ caution which was not mentioned during the booking. I don't know why they asked for it because there was no mini bar etc in the room. Moreover, i have been told that they will check my room at checkout and then return the deposit which was funny. I have stayed in several hotels in various countries and this is the first time i faced such situation. At the time of checkout there was different lady who had no idea that i deposited the caution. She denied to check the room and said that deposit will be credited back in my credit card. This shows that taking deposit is not the routine practice. Have they done it because I had kids or because of my skin colour? Please stop discrimination. Its partial my fault that I haven't read the reviews properly. People have written before that receptionist was rude :(

Location is good. It near to many tourist spots.

When we told them that we would checkout if we can't get...
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

The first room we got was dirty, small and the air condition was very loud. It seemed to be the worst room they had. We think that it was not cleaned before. We couldn't change the room the first night and the staff on the first day was not friendly and helpful. On the second day they were better.

When we told them that we would checkout if we can't get another room they were very helpful and gave us two better rooms.

within walking distance of Gendarmenmarkt and U-Stations Stadtmitte

hotel breakfast too expensive at 14 Euros pP so ate out at local bakery, avoid the adjacent Loewenbraeu restaurant unless you like fast food cooked for the millions; WiFi a luck of the draw...

spaciousness of rooms and hallways, Leipziger Strasse not as noisy as feared

Paid WiFi is a huge drawback

Paid WiFi is a huge drawback The whole sum of payment for the hotel was blocked on my card the week before check in, and unblocked only in around two weeks

Great location, friendly staff.

No free WiFi but then also poor phone service in the room. No kettle in room to make hot drinks. Shampoo provided wasn't the greatest. Expensive for what it was.

Frau Dyguay was incredibly friendly and helpful at the front desk and was a great pleasure to talk with. Room was incredibly comfortable, had plenty of space and had air conditioning. Bed was very comfortable. The Löwenbrau restaurant had great food with good prices, plus had a further 10% off as we were staying at the hotel. Very close to tourist attractions.

Location was nice
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

The staff was pretty bad. They double charged us for wifi and the woman who checked us out would not correct the changes. They are away from the front desk a lot. One time we waited over 15 minutes to be let into the lobby

Location was nice

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

They don't have WIFI!

They don't have WIFI!!! If you want internet access you have to pay extra for it which is unvelivable nowadays. The majority of their staff doesn't speak proper English and they seem to be pretty stubborn people, impossible to communicate with. Plus they charged me double for my accommodation the first time was a month before my staying and the second time when I checked out, they have told that I should wait for a refund in 15 days but that's all I got from them. Even though the place is nice, the staff and the lack of Internet makes your expirience pretty dull. Definitely not worth the money.

The location was about the only plus to this hotel.

The staff are rude and are only interested in getting euros off you. They seem extra arrogant when it comes to english customers. Especially the receptionists. If you book one of the rooms with bunk beds they wont make any top bunk despite you paying extra for a larger room. Then if you don't make the top bunk and even if nobody sleeps in the bed they put a 20euro charge per bed. The maids dont swap towels out the room. One of our rooms had a faulty shower rail when we arrived so when attempted to use it, it broke off. We was promptly charged 55euro for something that would cost only a few euro. Every day we stopped we visited the hotel bar and paid tips however on our last day before closing time we started ordering a round of drinks which they stopped half way and said it was too late but served half the group. The location was ok but service poor and seemed alot worse when it come to english customers.

The location was about the only plus to this hotel. That being said berlin is very spread out so still need to use taxis.

Clean room, helpful staff, good location, but missed kettle and fridge in room.

We missed in-room fridge and coffee making facilities.

Clean room, friendly staff, near (walking distance) several important historic sites, eg Chckpoint Charlie, Gendarmenmarkt, and Konzerthaus for symphony concert. Close to u-bahn stations.

CENTRALLY LOCATED CLEAN VALUE FOR MONEY HOTEL IN MITTE BERLIN

NO COFFEE/TEA MAKING FACILITIES IN THE ROOM.MY BIGGEST ISSUE AND THE REASON FOR POOR SCORE OF THE STAFF WAS THAT ON TWO OCCASIONS I HEARD THE MALE RECEPTIONIST ASK FOR DAMAGE DEPOSITS OFF PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THE ENGLISH!!I TOLD HIM I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THESE COMMENTS BUT HE WAS UNAPOLOGETIC.

LOCATION WAS GOOD FOR LOCAL U-BAHN,GOOD STANDARD ROOM AND VERY CLEAN AND ALSO VERY QUIET EVEN THO WE WERE ON THE BUSY ROAD SIDE,LOWENBRAU BAR WAS VERY NICE

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Do not stay here!
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Do not stay here!!! The staff is so rude, they have no concept of customer service at all!! I travelled with 3 friends and from day 1 the problems began. First, they supposedly didn't find my reservation. After some time she finally did, but check in was not available until 3pm and they have no possibility of doing early check ins. They don't have a deposit for the luggage either, so basically we had to leave our luggage in the reception to go sightseeing in Berlin. Since we were a group of 4, they gave us a room with two bunk beds. They had a sign that said that the upper beds had to be done by us or we would be charged 20€. So, of course we did our beds. At check out we had to wait until the room was verified and the receptionist shows us pictures of how the upper beds were not properly done!!! This is so ridiculous, so of course they charged 40€ from the 100€ deposit we had to give at check in. The worse part of it all is how rude the staff is!!! Honestly I felt threatened at some point when we were checking out. Definitely NOT staying there EVER again.

the hotel name is misleading - it is a block away from...

the hotel name is misleading - it is a block away from Gendarmenmarkt - one of Berlin prettiest places. Not having free internet is just really poor these days. Staff was on the edge of being unfriendly. Invoicing was tedious, the receipt not usable for public accountability and signed out the wrong date.

Good for a few nights

We were a bit confused when we checked out and wanted to leave our luggage to pick up later in the afternoon and they were pretty much left in for of the reception with only a number on it. The people in the reception said they would keep an eye on it but I would have been way more safe about the situation if it at least would have been behind the reception or in a locked room. There were basically no control of the bags when we picked the bags up. We jaded the lady at the reception our numbers and she just said to grab our bags, no control if we actually took our bags...

We were welcomed by a very friendly guy in the reception (herr Behn?) which was very nice. The location of the hotel were great, easy to access public transport and close to Brandenburg Tor, Checkpoint Charlie and other attractions and things to do.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Close to the places I had to go or to the one I visited...

Wi-Fi cost. One night I arrived at about 23 and waited for about 10 minutes in front of the door closed while nobody was at the reception. Than I had to ask to enter in the hotel at the bar nearby (Lowenbrau).

Close to the places I had to go or to the one I visited (Checkpoint Charlie, Potsdammer Platz, etc). Room was big enough, decent TV channel selection, quiet during the night.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Not recommended, great location, but cold staff & expensive wifi

I stayed at City Partner Hotel from 30 March till 03 April 2017. Female receptionists were not at all graceful. They must learn that being nice to customers is part of their job, and not an option. In one instance, we asked for fresh towels and extra pillows in the evening, and the receptions replied to us as if we were school children. She was like, "You should have come in the morning, and tell us I want this and that." The most customer-oriented of them all was actually the night security officer. The corridor leading to our room on the second floor literally smells like a chicken farm. It's 2017, but there is no free wifi at the hotel. Paid wifi is expensive, and rather slow. It costs two euro per hour, and six euro for 24 hours.

The location is great.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Room offers standard comfort Place is clean and room on the...

Staff doing their job neither helpful and cheerfull. Had to complain to get TV operating.

Room offers standard comfort Place is clean and room on the back is quiet.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Good location as it wasn't far from U-Bahn or...
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Didn't see any staff except the same security guard until we checked out. The reception is only open till 6pm and then there is just a security guard in the building who was very friendly and helpful. When we did see the reception staff they were not the most friendly.

Good location as it wasn't far from U-Bahn or Berlin's attractions. Room was clean and had everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Nice hotel, with TOP location

Check out was during early morning, and it last almost 1 hour, not ok becouse after we where almost late on a plane... (But it was first time for staff that was on recepcion that is doing checking out, next time for sure will be better :) )

Location is excelent. Breakfast is ok.

• Family Room with Private Bathroom (6 persons)

High price. They charged extra for cleaning. (We did not dirty anything extra). Had to make the beds ourselves. Bath tub unusable. (but shower Ok)

Location. Large rooms.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Not good balance between what paid and received

I didn't like that one of the receptionists was kind of rude and another barely spoke English. In addition, when we entered the quadruple room, the linen was above the bed so each one of us had to dress their bed. Likewise, they did not cleaned our room during our stay!

The location is good as it is near underground stations and walking distance from important landmarks (Checkpoint Charlie, for instance).

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Undecided

That you had to pay 6 euro daily each for the wifi which said it lasted for 24 hours but even if you purchased at 3pm it still ran out by the morning. Also not related to the hotel but the bar that links up to the hotel do not give you receipts when you purchase drinks so they kept telling us we had not paid for our drinks when we had already, found them rude and offending.

Booked this hotel as I liked the look of the Christmas market just down the road. The pillows in the hotel were really uncomfortable, but the room over all was lovely.

At least we had a place to crash
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom (6 persons)

The hotel doesn't have any designated parking so when we got there we looped around a couple times only to realize we had to park on the street. It was €7 a day for the hotel parking pass. Which is bright blue piece of paper with the hotel's name. To me it basically screamed "tourist" and was asking for our car to be broken into. The wifi is €6 for 24hrs for one device. Ridiculously expensive, but it didn't work anyways so it didn't matter -__- The staff was not very friendly it seemed. It might have been the language barrier, but I have definitely had better experiences in Europe.

This hotel was located close to public transportation and historic sites in Berlin. Also there is a nice Restaurant downstairs with friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Short stay Berlin

Wifi was available at a cost. Breakfast was very expensive for what it was. Some staff were not very friendly. No laundry service as stated on Booking.com.

The location to the Christmas markets and underground was good.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Great location for short stay!

Beds could've been more comfortable and showers were hard to adjust, either very hot or very cold...

Location was superb and great value for money (based on location)! Clean nice rooms!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Location was perfect! Good value for money.
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Our room was small and we only could find one with two bunkbeds, where was impossible to watch the TV. One of the upper beds had to receive the calefaction directly. When we arrived our beds didn´t have sheets and there was no towels at the bathroom. They gave us an undone room. We were tired and we had arrived late, so that was very disappointing and we only wanted to sleep.

Location was great Value for money Lowenbrau brewery at the corner Near Gendarmesmarkt and everything!!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Standard lowered

The standard this week was not the same.Not comfortable beds.Pillows are very lumpy(low standard,cheap) No extra pillows, or blanket in the room. In the bathroom, water did not run down in the sink.The toilet was not clean, dirt from previous guests was permanent. This,to me, is important.!!!

We have stayed at this hotel several times before and recomended it to friends. We have liked the hotel, the staff and the cleaning ladies. Things have changed !

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Christmas market journey

To warm in room. Far too long respons time for AC to work properly.

Location. Close to Gendarmenmarkt and within walking distance of Alexanderplatz. Staff helpful. Provided extra pillow. Cosy pub Löwenbrau in the same building.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Rude Staff

Staff were the rudest I ever encountered in a hotel. I arrived one day earlier ahead of my group and asked if I could have a room at the same rate as the following nights. The receptionist told me to stay in a HOSTEL if I couldn't afford her hotel. When my colleagues checked in the next day there was a double bed in their room instead of the twin beds as requested, the receptionist demanded the key from them as she didn't trust that they hadn't used the room (even though they returned to reception immediately after discovering the hotels mistake). On checkout I had to pay the city tax which I shouldn't have to pay because it was a business trip but the receptionist said it was too inconvenient to change. We clearly told them on check in that we were on a business trip.

good location

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Convenient location.

Charging for internet + using an ancient system for wifi login, where you need to enter 8 digits for username + 8 digits for password, and you have to renew the lease every 24 hrs with a new username + password. When arriving I had to give credit card info + pay 50 EUR cash deposit (a bit paranoid I'd say), which they forgot to return to me on checkout (and, alas, I forgot to ask for it too). Still have to see if they will return it now that I have already left..

Convenient location.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Basic, no-frills, affordable, great location. My kind of place.

This hotel is in a GREAT location, is very affordable, and had nothing actually wrong with it. A reliably decent, affordable hotel, deep in a city is a gem worth remembering

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Overpriced!!! Terrible staff, awful service and dirty apartments. Location is good.

Extremely rude staff (forgot the name of the lady)!!! Apartment had a terrible smell of fried pork due to downstairs restaurant. Housekeeping was off in the second day and hotel staff would not provide new towels. Hotel charged abusive amount for internet access.

Location was ok

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

big and comfy rooms, at least ours was like that.

i think we had communication problems with staff as they cannot speak english well. no one was smiling and helpful, except the one who is turkish. wifi is paid.

big and comfy rooms, at least ours was like that.

Reading my review should be enough, for your own sake.

Totally UNBELIEVABLE staff. Staff was your worst enemy - dont know what service and even kindness is. Took the price when we were checking out and the cleaner came running down the stairs telling the reception our room was chaos and not acceptable at all - we left 2 bottles of beer ON THE TABLE and one plastic can of fruit on the bathroom floor (which she agreed to was everything). Apparently they wanted us to clean our own room. Also, A/C didnt work, 40 degrees inside the room as well as in the hall. Hotel and rooms AT MOST 3 stars. Breakfast 14 EUR per day per person???

Not much to add to the positives except the location of the hotell.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Almost perfect but paying for WiFi is a big negative

A big NEGATIVE is having to pay for WIFI in the 21st century! Is it still an option to be given? My guess is that the hotel reputation would only gain from including such a universal service. There was no "please do not disturb" sign in the room. But I'm sure if you ask they'll give you one.

Staff very helpful. Clean. Central position.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Not worth the money except for location

Wifi costs an additional 6 euros a day! There are very limited amenities in the room (nothing for tea/coffee, no shampoo samples, no iron). Staff is not very friendly.

Location is great, walking distance from main touristic spots. Room was big and clean. Staff is 24/7.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Definitely not a 4-stars

Staff was not helpful with anything i would ask for: they couldnt tell me where to buy a sim card (although the shop was 100 meters close), they could give me name of good restaurants, shopping streets... Wifi is not free and the reception is just a small entrance that doesn't look like a 4-stars hotel reception.

Clean big rooms.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

The strength and warmth of the shower.

To have to pay for WiFi. Everywhere else art is free. That a one-person bedroom is just as expensive as a double. And that the one-person bedroom has a lot less space than the double.

The strength and warmth of the shower. The central location. Very quiet.

Very cheap but very good condition.

No slippers :(

Very cheap but very good condition. Room was really big and very close to center. I can highly recommend

Carpets

Great location. Clean and spavey rooms.

Good location, quiet comfortable room.

Room was quite spacious; importantly, it was quiet. And it had air-con.

Michael at the front is very helpful and friendly.

Michael at the front is very helpful and friendly.

Browse City Hotel am Gendarmenmarkt traveller photo gallery