Reviews of Gir Keller Gästehaus

Lintgasse 14, Altstadt-Nord, 50667 Cologne, Germany

#13 of 40 B&Bs and Inns in Cologne

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No elevator, rooms at third floor will give you some minor workout if you forget something and/or want to go get additional stuff from your room. The cleaning up lady stormed into one of the rooms already at 10am waking everyone up. I wasn't in that room, but apparently she was quite rude.

The location is perfect. Clean rooms and good facilities, though kind of basic interior. This is not bad by all means, just good to know if you'd want to have a romantic getaway (we didn't). We booked two rooms, so the shared bathroom seemed to be a private one for us after all. The code for picking up the keys did not work when checking in, but it was perhaps due to the fact that there was staff working (at 1pm) when checking in. Not a lot of parking space, but there are at least four parking houses close to Gir Keller (16-20€/24h). If you don't speak German, don't worry, since the receptionist speaks English. Walking distance to pretty much everything, so once again: the location is a solid 10.

If you are coming by car make sure that you find a parking before that, as the appartment is in the centre it is crazy there - lots of people and cars and if you dont know where to go it is just awful (we parked at hotel Dorint i think was the name but they charge us 27 euro)

The location is great! It is in the city center, everything is close to you - landmarks, coffe shops, reastaurant. The appartment also is very nice. It was very big and we have everything we need( there was also a bottle of water which I really needed :D ) The place is easy to find and if there is no staff in the hours of your arrival they sens you instruction about check in and check out- pretty easy

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The only thing I can think of is that the shower stand was broken, so it was a bit uncomfortable to take a shower.

The location is more than excellent - extremely close to the Dom and also very quiet. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The shared bathroom was close to the room and not "crowded". :)

4 stories up no lift. TV needed fixing. Heater making loud noises at 4am each morning & failing for 2 days. Allowing access to my room for tradesmen to fix the roof for 6 hours. Not 24 hours receptn.

Location and room size was good.

It is very easy to find from Cologne train station if you know turn left from the main exit from the cologne train station. Pass the museum in front of you. That will have two street in front of you. Doesn't matter which one. Go through the old Market. Right after the endof the market, a small street of left. The room is big and clean. Comfortable bed. Hotels in Euro always don't have elevator. If you have heavy bag. You have to carry it up stairs. The key in Germay is very important. It used to lock all the doors. I will recommand this hotel.

The cleaners knocked early in the mornings. Maybe a door sign should be made possible to let them know someone's asleep. Otherwise everything's great

There are no lift...make sure you book the room at lower level if you have heavy luggages. We made a lot of effort to get into the room with baby stroller and heavy luggages, so tired!! You have to self check-in and check-out. I didn’t see any staff during the stay.

The location is great. There are so many restaurants around and you can easy walk to many sightseeing places.(10 mins to Koln church) The parking lot is near the hotel and with lift, but it’s a bit expensive(16 euro/day) The room is very simple but clean and spacey.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Didn't see anyone from hotel all stay. Felt very impersonal.

I liked the ease of getting keys. Room was clean and simple. Nothing special but fit for purpose. Good location in the heart of old town.

Hot water is somewhat hard to adjust..Its whether too hot or too cold.. WIFI worked, but sometimes was too weak.

Great location! Really clean! They even clean your room during the stay! They allow you to leave the luggage at the lobby after checkout.

Accessing the location and information regarding parking.

There is no staff onsite. The key is dispensed and received through a lock box on the building which was not well identified. There is a phone number posted which someone promptly answered and offered assistance. Overall a very good value for the rate. Nice big rooms.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The host wasn't really welcoming. It's hard to say exactly what was wrong but he didn't smile or seem relaxed though he did tell us about his recent mega motorcycle journey. He seemed to think he didn't have much English but he did really. Perhaps he found it difficult. The room was good but was up 3 flights of stairs and while it was large it was somehow a bit sparse. Nothing pretty or homely. Glasses and a bottle of water were provided but the bottle hadn't been replaced and was empty. I wasn't going down three flights to tell him and by the time we went out the office was closed because he doesn't stay on the premises out of hours. In fact, we were informed before arriving that we would have to use our confirmation booking number to get our keys out of a key store at the front door so there we were trying this unsuccessfully when I decided to ring the doorbell and found that he was there after all to check us in. It's down a wonderful narrow cobbled street hence not surprisingly no parking or even unloading I would think. My other criticism is something you find everywhere - insufficient lighting. I like to read for a few minutes before bedtime and being of a certain age need a bedside light that provides more than a atmospheric light especially when the big light is weak.

Perfect location right in the old town near the river, cathedral etc. The room was large and clean. Shared bathroom was fine. Good price. I would stay again.

The location was amazing, right in the heart of the town. The room is large - basic but very clean. Nice view on the little streets of the town center. The lady who checked us in was very friendly and helpful - even gave us a map of town so we find our way around. Lovely place, would definitely come back!

there is not any reception after 4pm and during the weekend and they were not available by Email. I emailed them on Saturday but nobody replied. We stayed there for two nights and there was not any cleaning service and new towel on second day. It is more like a airbnb place than a hotel.

Great location, close to central station and city center. Spacious room and nice bathroom.

Only thing I would say...would have LOVED to either have had access to the kitchen (key didn't work) or at least had a mini-fridge.

Nice, modern room, great location surrounded by incredible restaurants and in proximity to a lot of tourist points of interest.

The bed could have been more comfortable and the pillows were very flat. If there had been a staffed check in desk, I would have asked for a spare pillow.

This was a very basic room but provided everything we needed. We arrived on a Sunday and did not interact with any staff at all, the property had arranged for us to pick up the key using a code at a drop box. It was good for us but some people may want the staff interaction. The room was very clean and very large. The best part was honestly that there was a real full-size hair dryer in the room and not a crappy hotel hair dryer. It was a big bonus for me. Would stay here again for sure. Value for price paid was great and location was even better.

No breakfast or staff at weekends. Hotel is only staffed during working hours Mon-Fri. No tea making facilities. Iron and board had to be requested. No ability for late check out and nowhere to store baggage out of staf hours.

Location was excellent. Next to Altermarkt and only 5 mins walk to train station. Very good rooms. Clean. Is a great hotel despite a number of minor issues highlighted below.

This hotel is situated in the old town - it is beautiful! Within walking distance from the train station, but beware the streets are cobbled, so not a good idea if you have heavy luggage. Taxi us apro 8 euros. Very close to the river & lots of bars / restaurants. The room was spacious, well equipped and very clean & not forgetting excellent value! The Reception team were very helpful and friendly & even printed my boarding passes for me. Great place to stay in the heart of Cologne.

It's really easy to find the place once you're in town, because it's near the Dom and St. Martin, which is quite helpful if you're bad with directions or maps :) The street where the hotel is located is very quite and I had a very nice view towards a back garden. It's really central and the subway station is 1 minute away, in one of the marketplaces where you can find some very nice restaurants. Make sure to let them know when you arrive, as the hotel opens at 13. I was lucky that the girl from the hotel arrived sooner as I got there at 10. She was wonderful and helped me out by printing me all the right transportation for the places I had to go.

The room was very clean and had lots of space. It is situated in a noisy neighbourhood but with the windows closed, you couldn't hear a thing! Normally we had a room on the fourth floor, but as my friend was recovering from a leg injury, we got a room at the 2nd floor so we had to climb fewer stairs. Furthermore, this room was even bigger and we weren't charged anything extra! Another advantage was the superfast, free wifi connection. If we ever plan on travelling to Cologne again, we will definitely return to Gir Keller!

Beds were low, would prefer them to be higher.

Location was excellent - close to the central train station and Rhine river. The room was large with lots of natural light, a bathtub, and a good space for a laptop. Staff stayed beyond regular check-in time to look after us.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Cannot honestly think of a bad thing. Though next time I may book a room on a lower floor as no lifts.

The location was amazing. We got the train from the airport to the city and a lovely German girl told us we were in walking distance to our hotel. Once we got our bearings and found the old town we used a ride on taxi to the door as the streets of the old town can initially be confusing. Though we were fine once we were walking around the next day and found our way round very easily.

1. Mattress in the room was too small. 2. Room was on 4th floor with no lift. 3. No value for money. 4. There was no body from staff to listen to any complain.

Room was clean.

The bath was a little clogged - I mentioned this to the cleaning staff though. Otherwise it was great!

This room was huge! I could have brought two friends! It was lovely and central, five minutes walk from the river and the cathedral. And so quiet.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

It was nice to in the heart of the city with so much going on. I really liked overlooking the courtyard. I thought the downtown setting was quite inviting.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Nobody present on Saturday and Sunday, so no possibility to leave luggage. Bed pillows are terrible and mattrasses very hard. Shared bathroom proved to be inconvenient.

Large room, excellent location in old town.

Strangely, we came at nigh and it was very cold in the room- radiator was off....we couldn't contact the staff. In the morning, radiators was on, but it was cold all night. How was our reaction when by the end of the day, radiators was off again.... I really have no idea, why in march nights radiator was off.... Cold nights-no fun...

The room was big, clean and with the incredible view.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

VERY BASIC ANOTHER GUEST WAS STRUGGLING TO ENTER THE PROPERTY OUT OF OFFICE HOURS -SO BE PREPARED - NOT STAFFED 24-7

CENTRAL LOCATION SPACIOUS QUIET ROOM BATH EVERYTHING FUNCTIONED AS IT SHOULD!

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

In winter room was very cold, small radiator was not enough for such big room.

Ideal location, quiet place, clean spacious room. Definitely could recomend.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Pillows were horrible - extremely uncomfortable No kettle Shared bathroom (of course we were fully aware of this, but still counts as an inconvenience) Heater - the radiator was set to lowest and room was very cold (-2° C outside) and on top of that, during the day after the first night, they lowered it again while we were out and about... Not cool, especially when you've been wandering the streets, freezing and going back, hoping to get warm! Office hours are really tight - they only work until 4PM and if you have a late flight, you can't leave your luggage and have to carry it around after check out

Great location - in the heart of Cologne Very clean Comfortable bed Renovated, new furniture

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No lift, had booked a double room but got a twin with beds shoved together, also didn't realise it was a shared bathroom, my fault for not reading properly when booking, I know. Overall, great great location, but wouldn't stay again.

Location was excellent, about 30 metres from the Alt Markt

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Everything worked perfect since I reserved. As I was coming to the hotel out of business hours they sent me an email with clear instructions on how to get my key. Also they sent the bill to my company with out any trouble. I couldn't meet personally anybody of the personal but I'm sure they are quite nice and helpful. Of course the location is perfect, and there some nice restaurants to have dinner and good coffee shops to get breakfast. I absolutely recommend it!

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

The apartment is in a fantastic location right in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Cologne, despite this it was very quiet in the room. Check in was very easy, just typed in my confirmation code and the key appeared, perfect! The room itself is quite basic but has everything you need, especially for the price, very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Bad service: my friend needed to use toilet urgently, but the staff said there is not any one for guests. Only one for herself. We asked whether we could borrow. She said it is private. How private a toilet could be??!! If so, why she rent out her house. She also said it is not a hotel. So it should be bad?!? Bad facility: the wifi password is downstairs posted on a wall, which is difficult to find. And no one told us where to find it, and only a paper in the room states it is downstairs. How super inconvenient..... Last but not least: mosquitoes around at night makes impossible to sleep well.

location is good next to river and train station, but it is located in a dark ally, safety is a concern for girls.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

The water in the shower varied alarmingly in temperature because we were on the fourth floor

The situation is excellent and luckily the room is well sound-proofed

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Room is a little bit warm in the summer, no air conditioning , no frigobar available. Be aware of the fact that checkin is limited to 9h-16h as informed on website. I did not noticed it (my fault) and I was luck y enough to arrive within the time window.

Everything worked well as informed on the Booking website. It is a simple but clean hostel. Very well located near a lot of restaurants, pubs, Rhein river, Cathedral. You get the keys of your room and of the building entrance and you keep them with you. Room clear, clean, big windows. Photo Pictures at booking website are quite near reality.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Location was excellent, very close to the Dom, train station, river and places for food/drink Late arrival process was simple enough. Nice view from the room of some cathedrals and quaint streets below

Really great location.

Internet signal is so weak

Located in the perfect location, near to the square

They have no elevator, so it would be painful if you traveled with huge luggage.

The room was clean and huge!!!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Good location. We were able to check in and out quickly. We were allowed to leave our luggage after check out.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It is a guesthouse, simple, practical, clean and very well located.

A bit tricky to find!

Nice big room - great location! Easy to get key from box outside when arriving late. Comfortable bed and great value for money.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

A converted apartment house, shared bathrooms, no service to speak of. Completely overpriced.

It was clean enough. Location is great.

Towel was not clean

Great location. Very helpful staff. Comfy room

Everything was bad no staff no one to help poor internet connection

It did'nt have elevator, it was so difficult carry luggage to thirty floor and nobody helped me

The location was good and it was clean.

Hard to find from the booking instructions and we didn't find the wifi password until the second day

Comfortable and well located

Very good location. Very close to cathedral, museums, to pubs and the river.

Cleanliness needs to be improved.

Friendly staff

Beds were very comfortable

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Hard to find with no wifi.

Clean, central and a pretty good value.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No elevator, we have to upstairs 3 floors.

Room very clean and very good location, near the Old Town.

Pillows a bit lumpy

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Best location near koln hbf station.... Staff in hotel is excellent and cooperative...😊😊

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Close to venue. Well priced for location.

Close venue

No lift

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Really clean, cozy and central located.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Central location

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

The cleaning lady trying to throw us out 2 times before checkout time, that was really unprofessional.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

wi-fi connectivity was poor.

love the key code system as we arrived out of hours. very efficient.

• Reviewed: 2 May 2016

Large room. Comfi bed. Nice bath tub. Perfect location. This guesthouse is not staffed all the time. The guests should read through the page before booking and leave a message with your arrival time when booking. The staff will send you an email on how to get in (if outside their staffed hours). - to insure a great time travelling.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

Didn't know we would have a shared bathroom. Nobody was there on arrival or departure. I specifically asked the only person I could reach not to charge my credit card on my account and they went ahead and did it anyway

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

There was no elevator and we were staying on the 3rd floor. I was travelling with my parents so it was a bit hard for them to climb the stairs.

The location was perfect. We were right at the city center and it is also walking distance from the main train station. Even though we didnt meet with the stuff but we were informed about how to collect the keys and it all went smoothly. The rooms were so clean and bright just as they were described.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2016

Shame there was not any tea or coffee making facilities but I should of checked when booking.

Location was excellent. Plenty of space, clean & tidy. Liked the automated key (punch in yr booking code & yr key pops out) Great WiFi. Would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

The cleaning lady tried to come in an hour before check-out while we didn't yet return the key and woke us up. Tried to come in some time later. Ruined the morning for us.

The room was great and clean, the location is fenomenal. The key-system is handy.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2016

The staff are there only during business ours I guess. Having stayed the weekend, I didn't see a single soul. So if you had any problems or questions, then you will have to put up with it. The room was nice and big but because of that, the heater couldn't the room. It was cold. Wi fi password is downstairs. Theres no elevator and its a long way up and down. Just strange. Not bad, but strange.

It was in a nice location. Very nice and central. Oh and it was nice and clean too. Good housekeeping. And organised I guess? Organised because there was no staff. Nobody there. But they were efficient - they respond to email quickly and made sure in advance to let me know how to get my key and how to return my key when I was done. It was already for a place to spend a night or two.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

Shared bathroom not perfect. The couple having a rather loud liason for a good few hours in the early morning didn't help either!

Great location in the heart of Koln,very close to local bars and the Christmas markets. Large, clean room.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2015

We booked for two but the apartment had another seemingly empty room with locked door. Felt strange to sleep. Before leaving (around 10:30, you have run until 11) cleaning lady knocked and announced she is coming, opening the locked door with keys inside. She didn't speak English at all.

Great location, and a good price for what is included.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2015

Staff are only there during office hours.

The location is excellent, near the river and convenient for all the sights, bars, restaurants. The room was quite large (especially for this price band) and was nice and warm. It was also very clean and well maintained.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2015

In the middle of the all possible interests. In the centre of old town, close to Cathedral, restorans, river bank, shopping and premium positioned offices. No matter what your visit is for, it is close to everithing. I've arrived after midnight, out of working hours. Key was waiting for me exactly as we arrange by mail.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

- as this is a guest house, the reception is open from 9 am to 4 pm only; you have to make arrangements if you will arrive late, although the staff has good procedures for this - there are NO ACs in the rooms, so if you happen to visit during the hot summer weeks, it could be a little disappointing - it can be a little difficult to find the hotel at the start (maybe because there is construction going on when we visited, thus, the street signs are not clearly shown), as it is located in a small alley

- big, clean rooms with lots of power outlets for charging electronic gadgets - very near Praetorium and Cologne Cathedral - 5 minutes walk to St. Martin Church - about 10 minutes walk to the Rhine Bridge - near Cologne Rail Station - many shops and restaurants near the hotel - wifi is very good

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

It was difficult to find and meant we were later than intended an email had been sent that had been close to our arrival If sent a couple of days earlier would have been helpful as if no one had been there I wouldn't have known what to do. Fortunately someone had stayed late.

People were friendly and helpful. It was very clean and spacious.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2015

Promised wifi proved unobtainable - would only default to company's own website, could not get anything else. No clear instructions for emergency help -we had to put up with bleeping smoke alarm (needed new battery) for 2 nights before managed to catch cleaner (over weekend); would have been helpful if we could have reported this sooner.

Location very central. Room comparatively large, which was nice. Good storage space.

There are also 32 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Gir Keller Gästehaus traveller photo gallery