Reviews of Hamburg Marriott Hotel 5 stars

ABC-Str. 52, Hamburg Neustadt, 20354 Hamburg, Germany

#94 of 323 hotels in Hamburg

6.1

• Family Room

Waited for 2 hours in lobby to get a room.

Old furniture in rooms, outdated, dust . No mini bar in rooms, aircon cant set temperature. Only good thing about hotel is location

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

TV in the room to outdated and needs to be replaced, No place to keep the luggage, better office desk amenities required, complimentary water bottles should be there in room atleast 02 small ones per day.

Good Hotel if you are looking to stay in a good location with safe and clean rooms, nice bed with a good mattress that is not so bouncy mattresses as you find in some other hotels and hurts your back, didnt try any facilities or bfast so cant say about them but overall staff was quite polite and helpful. If i am back for a biz trip then i might consider staying again.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Pool to cold. Missing a hot tub / spa in the pool area.

Nice big rooms (good business hotel but can also be used for holiday with partner). Great breakfast buffet. Good service both with check-in and during our stay.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent location at the centre of Hamburg. Very good connection to public transport and only a short walk from the botanical gardens and the town hall. Great facilities and rooms, including spa, swimming pool and gym. The staff was very helpful and friendly. A bit pricey but totally worth it. If you travel by car there is parking, conveniently, but as everywhere in central Hamburg it is a bit expensive.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bathroom could be better thought through. There is no place to hang towels near the sink, toiletries could be nearer the bath.

All proceedings were clear. Luggage storage. Location (basically on Gänsemarkt, a few steps from the subway).

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I expected that the rooms could be more luxury. Bedroom also could be more clean. If you chose such a luxury hotel you are quite dissaponted when you found old paperwall and some dirty spots in the bathroom.

I liked the looby and location.

nothing really!

Friendly and helpfull staff. Breakfast was really very good. We needed an extra blanket in the night, it arrived within minutes. We liked that could have a family room, as we don't like to seperate into two rooms, which are often not connected. Pool was great fun!

Nothing in particular.

Nice hotel, courteous staff. The rooms are spacious and well decorated. Clean property with proximity to the lake, shopping and Rathaus Markt

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The price of breakfast. Fortunately there is a very good baker's nearby. We noticed other people from the hotel there.

The location couldn't be better - in the center but quiet. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable and seem to be quite well sound-proofed. The staff were always very friendly and helpful and afternoon tea in the Pianobar was always a special treat. We were more than happy with our choice of hotel.

• Family Room

Small and very busy breakfast room

Very service-minded staff. Front desk went out of its way to make up for the closed pool, which was under maintenance.

• Family Room

Slightly disappointed that the pool was undergoing maintenance for our stay. Obviously this is something that cant be helped, but one of the reasons for booking was to have use of a swimming pool and possibly would have booked elsewhere if I had known in advance.

Great facilities in the room(tea, coffee, water). Large room with comfortable beds and a great bath and shower. Room service was delicious, and quick to arrive and all the staff were very friendly and helpful from beginning to end.

• Family Room

Only powdered milk for in room drinks - unacceptable in a Premier hotel charging premier prices. No advance notification that the pool would close for maintenance 3 Adults in one room - only 1 bath robe. I had to request additional

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Fabulous staff, so helpful ! And a brilliant, quiet location, although very near to buses, tube stations, restaurants. Fast check-in/out, very spacey room. I'm looking forward to going back.

• Executive Double or Twin Room with Lounge Access

The executive lounge was not really an executive lounge. Not well stocked and cleared too early.

Service in Restaurant at night needs to be addressed. Very disappointed.

We asked for a third bed in one of the rooms but they hadn't prepared it on time; no second bath robe was available although we rented a room for two persons. All furniture were really worn-out and definitely not presentable / suitable for an executive class room.

The location of the hotel was convenient.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The reception and Bar are very nice . The restaurant is not so nice, very basic. The rooms are a bit old fashion but comfortable. The big difference is the staff from the reception to the room cleaners. They are very friendly and helpful, every demand is taken care of right away. They also have gluten-free for breakfast if you ask. Would always come back to this place.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I complained about this last year and I noticed they have changed the dishes where the hot food is kept at breakfast but the food is still not quite the correct temperature. But breakfast overall is excellent.

This is one of my favorite hotels. It has a special kind of welcoming magic at this time of year. The rooms need a little redecorating in time but the service from the front desk to the cleaning staff are top notch.The location is excellent for shopping or wining and dining. It is not a budget hotel and can be quite expensive but deals are available and quality is always worth paying for.

• Family Room

Breakfast very good great selection ..Dominic on the Bar Staff was so pleasant and helpful. Kathryn at the Information/Reception was great too and very informative. All Staff were great and we had a great weekend break.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel bar was delightful. The bartender on Friday and Saturday night is a true Mixologist. He even took the time to explain certain aspects of my drinks. Introduced me to new drinks that I had no idea about. A great time, great drinks and I learned something new, WOW!!!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Your marketing idea regarding free Internet access ONLY upon registering in your system - appeared to be unexpected in 2017. Think about giving some benefits for registering, but not for the usual things. Also was strange to find EMPTY minibar in room.

Good position in the center of city. Nice breakfast and bar in lobby.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

For a five-night stay for two, we only enough room for our suitcase and clothes because we used one of the two small double beds in our room, after we’d reserved a room with a king sized bed. Facilities are aging: Shelf in closet and towel rack over tub coming out of the wall. Tub rusty. Blow dryer was old, only extremely hot, had no nozzle, making it less useful. Had to ask twice to get window in 3rd floor unlocked. Rooms too warm in fall even when heat turned off. Rooms not re-stocked every day. Wife inadvertently dropped a pill under night stand, where it lay until we left. Under the chair lay several days a newspaper insert, presumably from the previous Dutch guests. In addition: my parents pre-paid their room, informed the hotel on planned day of arrival that they would not be able to make it the first night due to a storm, they would arrive early next morning, and were promised their room would be ready. It wasn’t, and they, too, failed to get their room of choice (2 queens instead of a king). After complaining, the hotel agreed to drop the first night from the invoice, but upon checkout, they’d charged him for an >extra< night even. Same gin and tonic that cost > €17 at hotel bar cost < €10 at Vapiano across the alley.

Location is great.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I simply can't believe that a classy hotel like Marriott charges for in-room wifi. Wifi is like water these days - we need it to conduct business and function. I had to use the lobby to check my work emails several times a day which was really inconvenient when working concentrated in my room. The charges for plain vanilla wifi were beyond the pale too. Please consider making it freely available everywhere and I'll stay with you again next time because the rest of my stay was fab!

Pool was exquisite, staff super friendly, no better location in Hamburg and room was cosy.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

From the moment we walked started the checkin in procedure we were welcome by extremely unpleasant receptionist that disrespectful and ignorant. In addition, the there was an extra fee for parking 25 EUR per night that should normally be included in the room rate. Being regular business traveller around the world, I don't remember last time I received such poor service and question whether I will stay in Marriot ever again. Lastly, I forgot to mention room service that finally started to prepare my order after I made a second reminder call.

Only good thing about this hotel was location.

• Family Room

inadequate drawers for clothes; furniture a bit shabby

central, quiet, elegant location; excellent breakfast; kind, available, professional staff; clean and comfortable room, comfortable beds; new, clean and well-equipped bathroom.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

For the price and apparently 5 stars it didn't live up to it. I was there for my birthday and they didn't make any effort except the lady on the front desk when I was checking in and saw my passport

Great staff and a great location

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Every time, through the site of Boking, the booking is the most common and The most ordinary and weakest room First floor with the worst possible look My precious booking was more expensive, but I chose the better room, so the second floor of the hotel came to me. I think your traveler does not get higher on the second floor.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The mattress was not comfortable. It was difficult to reach the toilet paper as it was in an awkward angle to the toilet seat. Nowadays you get free wifi at every hotel in every city, so we thought it was cheap of the hotel to charge us for it!!! The parking was also very expensive.

The room was spacious & we'll set up. The bathroom was well laid out too & functional.

• Family Room

Not enough space at breakfast -- people had to eat in the bar...maybe a sign of too much success for the breakfast buffet?

Hotel staff very supportive and solution oriented. Pool & sauna were nice for a hotel in city center.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Very little. The hotel might be in a little need of a refurb and the wifi is only free in public areas not to the guests in their rooms.

Staff were outstanding and always happy to help with a smile. Can't praise them enough!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bit of a struggle to operate shower settings, water too hot at one point.

Central location, close to public transport, hop on hop off bus route, in upmarket shopping district, surrounded by mix of historic and modern architecture. Excellent food in hotel restaurant, attractive indoor pool area, major attractions of city all within easy reach, assistance from hotel in booking tickets for hop on hop off bus and boat cruise of river, plus information.

It was fine.

The bed was great but we ate out all the time as there was a great range of food close by. It was extremely convenient once you found it!!! And there was a hairdresser very close by which we needed.

• Family Room

The sleeping couch was not comfortable. The children had a rough night and didn't sleep very well.

The beds (double) were very comfortable. The inside pool area great.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

On booking in there was no information provided by the reception staff about the pool/sauna facilities, wifi etc. If you (like me) do not speak any German, this is more of a challenge. The sauna did not work and the pool was fine (if you kept moving) as it was a bit on the cold side

The Location of the hotel is fantastic. Near the Alster lake and tubes to get you around town. It is in the posh end of town so nice a quiet and more rolex watch shops than you can shake a stick at. The bar was nice and had a pleasant quite vista - onto a small road for access and not a main road. A pint would set you back nearly seven euros. A top tip. The breakfast at the hotel was 29 euros. We did not do this option. There is a fantastic cafe/bakery just around the corner where you would be hard to spend 8 euros for a breakfast feast. The rooms were clean and beds very comfy. I did feel I was paying for the great location rather than a great hotel. The hotel was very nice - which is a compliment (just) and I would stay there again as I am now familiar with the area - and I really like that part of Hamburg. Sundays in the area are completely void of people as it is the business district - so lovely and quiet.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The heated pool was a bit on the cold side for me. I am from Florida USA so it may just be that I'm used to warmer temp. But the pool area, sauna and exercise area were super clean and peaceful

The staff!!!! specially in the restaurant were so kind and helpful. The food was pretty good as well but I kept going back for the staff Also the staff at the door were always so welcoming and kind. The front desk gave me many useful tips for sightseeing, shopping and restaurants The cleaning staff were very quick and left the room looking great while respecting where I had left my things.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel had an overbooking in the first night. For TV and the high-speed Internet, you have to pay an extra fee.

The hotel has an excellent location.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

When we returned to our room at 14:00 it had not been cleaned and rearranged. I went to the reception and asked them to fix it. I waited at the lobby for one hour. When I went back it had still not been fixed. My wife had to call them again at 15:15 and only then was the room fixed. The Hotel just said they were sorry and only when we were checking-in and complained once more they told that they will give us the breakfast free. I think that the whole occurence was very unproffesional and not how a Marriot should handle such problems. Ion Rempoutzakos

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The price doubled on the Hamburger Hafengeburtstag but would not have want to have missed that event.

Location in center of town yet easy to reach by car. Extended breakfast offerings.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Overflow breakfast facilities were not as good as main breakfast area. Staff were helpful but it was disappointing. Some reception staff were less accommodating than I would have expected.

Breakfast was generous. Pool, sauna and spa were spacious and pleasant to use.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

-No free WiFi in rooms -Rooms somewhat dated -A/C and ventilation were not very good in our room -Minibar empty

-Good Location -Comfortable Bedding (no square German pillows)

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Big difference in service attitude among workers, unpersonal service. The rooms are not soundproof as I thought. You can hear people walking down the hall. Expect better breakfast in executive lounge. Serving dry-looking sausages and processed eggs?

Good location. Easy access to the executive lounge.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room is old and small, and advanced pay is a lot (3 days is more than 1000 EURO), I booked two room for 3 days, the money still come back to my account after left 5 days , dispointed.

No complaints!!!!

Super pet friendly. Absolutely adorable Hotel. I loved it to stay there. Bed was amazing, I slept so well. Thank you Marriott Team!!!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Reception was very unpersonal. Nobody cared if we needed some instructon or even a map. Nothing about how to use the facilities or even the breakfast hours. There was 1 shampoo and 1 duschgel mini-bottle for 3 people. Also, 18€ for a movie ?!?! daaaaamn

The bed was very confortable

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The restaurant is really bad, both starff, interior and foodselection. If you stay eat dinner somewhere else.

Love the Pianobar and hotel is perfectly situated. Have stayed here several times.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Thought breakfast price was expensive.

Location was excellent, room was spacious quite comfortable and clean. Piano bar in the evening was an added bonus

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Toilet paper made my bum bleed and was all cut. Was heavy when you was trying to sit down but to be honest it wasn't helped by the fact a brass was wiping my arse with a leather belter the night before.

Clean fresh bedding all the time an a good location

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We had requested an extra bed which wasn't there upon arrival. We didnt need it as the beds were larger than expected but would have been a problem had we had to wait to have it set up. The pool could have been a little warmer. The wifi and tv weren't included. We didn't want to watch television anyway but paying for wifi at a hotel was quite unusual and added up each day!

The bed was one of the comfiest I've ever slept in and the room heating was lovely. The shower had really good pressure. The staff were all friendly and always very helpful. The sauna, spa and swimming facilities were good.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

for a shopper this hotel has a great location! room is pretty good with comfortable and really good bedding. however room seems not as soundproof as exoected as I could hear the sound of the tv of the neighbor room.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

No complaints!

Excellent location, very clean and luxurious hotel , awesome staff and service and good food.... everything was just excellent, will definitely stay here again

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Room is a bit old.

Everything looks a bit worn out. Clean but clearly aged. Toiletry provided in the bathroom is very minimal. Not quite the marriott standard in my view. Location is perfect. We arrived before 9am but still was able to check in.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Expensive internet. Rooms were outdated.

The hotel has a great location. The beds were comfortable. Pool area nice, but water could have been warmer. Piano bar staff and singer were excellent.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No free wifi at the rooms, which should be mandatory in 2017. The price is 10 € daily, which is a complete scam. Also the breakfast is insanely expensive, and costs a whopping 28 - twenty-eight - euros. If you want to rent a movie via the tv, prepare to spend 18 euros. In sum, most extra services are extremely expensive.

Service-minded staff. Excellent location close to city center.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Confusion over breakfast being included in price. Website stated breakfast was included for four people. Hotel had no record of this. However when we produced booking printout there was no problem.

Central location. Nice rooms. Six of us travelled and we were accommodated with an interconnecting room even though we only requested it at check in time.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No free wifi in room only in lobby. We only got it cause we were on first floor but I thought free wifi meant all rooms got good connection. We had very low wifi connection

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Should have a bigger breakfast room. The shower kept changing temperatures from warm to cold to really hot which wasn't good especially with kids.

The location is fantastic. The hotel itself is nice and cosy. Very good for families.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room with Lounge Access

The precooked element of breakfast - sausage, egg etc in the warming containers was slightly cold. Either they were not set at right temperature or the contents were put in them too early. The quality of the breakfast elements/ingredients themselves were excellent

I would give this hotel 10/10 for everything but I am going to give them only 9.5/10 for breakfast because they were perfect in every other way.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Check-in time is late (16.00h) Hotel restaurant serves nice food, but too expensive for quality and ambiance.

Spacious room, clean and comfortable. Clean bathroom. Very nice bed!

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No services normally associated with 5 star hotel in the room at all (no robes, no slippers, no minibar, etc.). Rooms are not clean. Check in at 4 pm. earliest is quite unusual.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Unfriendly staff at the check in counter, empty mini bar, blood stains on bed sheets, hairdryer only providing cold air (i.e. not workimg properly). The pool temperature could be higher.

The location is ideal. High quality products are provided in the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My booking reservation went 3 times through the system to confirm my stay ! That cause some confusion with the fort desk ! And they confirm it's only one stay and the other 2 been cancelled by the hotel and confirmed to me by mail without any extra charge nor issues ... Hope you would accept that as simple as the hotel did without any extras charges . Regards, KF

The staf is really nice and helpful all time

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE to put anyone in a room with an inter-connecting door to another room unless they are travelling with those people. Every single sound, every single word was clearly audible through the door. The staff clearly knew about the problem, as they agreed to move me (the staff were very good), but ON WHAT PLANET do the management of Marriott think that it is acceptable to let out a room on such a basis? There was no mention of this at all on the website and I would not have booked the room had I known about the inter-connecting door. Even if I had been paying a fraction of the price, this would not have been tolerable. For me - never Marriott, ever again.

Location, breakfast good, but expensive

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Having to pay for wi-fi, overpriced breakfast which we avoided by going to the piano bar downstairs instead. Other people said the hotel is old-fashioned looking but I thought that was part of its charm.

The room was spacious and comfortable, good bed. Staff friendly and helpful. Really great location in Hamburg, right beside the Alster and the Rathaus. Lovely cocktail in the piano bar.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

general impression that the hotel is not client oriented or so to say client friendly -fully prepaid stay was on top double preauthorised for extra charges - cash at checking in and automatically card preauthorisation for 1 nigt stay-261 Euro total !!! card preathorisation was at 04-00 a.m Sunday morning! By mistake! since cash deposit was made at check in! card preaithorisation was cancelled but request for written credit note print out has been fulfilled only in 2 days( after plural requests) and finally slipped under the door the final hours of stay. No explanations, no apologies!! more surprises! 1/empty mini bar substituted by shop in lobby-One arrives in the evening , pays deposit and is forced to run for water and snacks-in 5 star hotel! Or hostel? 2/cold swithed off sauna during peak of working hours in the evening-one arrives from a cold walk in the evening and finds that he has to wait 1 hour for sauna to get warm - Economy is good but notice on sauna work order for the client is a must! 3/ Noise from inside- protection from external noise is nullified by alarming inside noise- through the doors presumably not all wooden- one hears everything from out doors and has a feeling of sleeping in the corridor!!! 4/ Free internet in the lobby ( in room internet is payable) explanations are only in German-. one needs intepreting. Mariott is an international brand however-at least +English notes are desirable. Etc.

Location is ideal for all travellers-business or leisure Rooms are clean and well protected against external noises

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room with Lounge Access

I was staying in the executive room and I had hoped for a better executive lounge with more food options and more seating places. Room service had forgotton to place slippers in the room. Wifi should have been free for the executive room

Room was comfortable. Location too was convenient.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Some customers not very pleasant and polite in the pool in the evening; staff very patient with these persons

Situation; pool; staff very friendly and professionnal

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

some of the staff at the front desk were friendly and some were not so ...still raw and more room for skills development in customer relations, hospitality.

Locations was excellent

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

old facilities/rooms breakfast bread was old nothing pretty/charming/comfortable or special at all this is an average 4 star business hotel - not sure where the 5 star rating comes from lots of Russian guests excellent location

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I found little to question.

We liked the outdoor bar area, and also the quiet location just fifteen minutes (for two 75 year old people) away from the Hamburg Rathaus. We could easily walk to both the center of the city, and to nice local restaurants. The local museums were wonderful, the Rundfarttour was outstanding. We hope to bring our grandsons to Hamburg, and we will stay at the Marriott.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Despite my special request for a quiet room, the fact that the hotel was semi full and there were available rooms overlooking the inner yard, I was directed to a room overlooking the street where road works were going on and where the street traffic was quite intense. I was given a room on 1st floor more over! The room was old, smelling bad and was screaming - "refurbish me"! Totally overpriced for the service provided!

The location was not bad, but there were road works on the street in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

You had to pay for wifi connection in the room which we were not impressed with. There was also bottled water left for us which we had to pay for. The room felt soulless. More for a business trip than holiday.

The lobby was nice, good for business trip

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

- The staff is very friendly and helpful.. Specially Ms Janine at the check-in desk.. She didn't spare any effort to make our stay a fantastic, exceptional and a worthwhile experience.. Also, Mr Alessio Femia at the checkout desk was very welcoming and nice - The location is superb - Rooms are spacious and comfortable - WIFI at the lobby was amazing

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Parking price. TOO Expinsive. 28Euro per day

The hotel located in excellent area where u can walk to everywhere , shopping , restaurants or cafe shops not more than 5 min Hotel staff are nice and helpful The room which I stayed in was big enough. (Family Room) Very good breakfast

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The rooms are very small and the Internet cost much in the rooms ( they charge me even I didn't used the Internet I just tried to connect)the free only in the lobby.the parking very expansive, they discount the amount not in euro and its cost much in changing three times.

Just the location close to the active area

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was no free wifi. The entertainment center in the room was outdated. The soap and shampoo provided in the room had this weird strong lemon smell.

The location was perfect in the city center.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We were two people, but there was only one bath robe, slippers, etc They asked to sign that I will not smoke, but the room we had was for smokers, hence it smelled bad in the room. The elevator's floor was dirty. The swimming pool very noisy, kids were jumping in the water (although there is a sign that forbids it) and there was no staff to make a remark.

The location and bar were good.

Browse Hamburg Marriott Hotel traveller photo gallery