Reviews of Renaissance Hamburg Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Grosse Bleichen, Hamburg Neustadt, 20354 Hamburg, Germany

#41 of 323 hotels in Hamburg

5.1

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I can not think of anything that

Everything is great Frendly staff, big room with comfortable bed and satin linen,have not slept so well for a long time. Great central location with lots of shops and restaurants( Brauhas Joh. Albrecht )great beers and food

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I don't like paying with credit card. Booking lounge expenses to the room could only be done if I paid by credit card. It makes sense, and it was just a minor inconvenience.

The service was good. The hotel is just the right amount of modern, amenities are excellent. Location-wise it's somehow in a quiet area, right in the middle of where you want to be. The lounge, both inside and out, has good service, and is very comfortable. Breakfast and breakfast service was impeccable.

• Superior Room

No parking available, although it says on the page that reservation for parking is not needed. Also I didn't like that our room was right next to the parking lot. It was said to be a superior room (large room), but the view was horrible. Can't open the curtain at all.

after check out they charged me around 800 € without any information, still waiting for the proper explanation....

location was good, hotel was very clean

Breakfast comes in 3 categories: continental 18.- euro, healthy 24.- euro and full for 28.- euro. The healthy cereals are all corn flakes and thats NOT a healthy choice! In the VS you choose from a menu - which means you don't pay for what you don't eat and consequently less food is thrown away!

the location and the staff

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was hard to get to the property by car sometimes because of construction and heavy traffic (cars, taxis, pedestrians). It is only temporär and not the Hotels fault.

It has a Great location in the middle of the City. Close by the Town Hall and the Laster Lakes. The facilities are also very beautiful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Getting bombarded in the lobby area by a bunch of noisy people who just free loaded on the wifi to watch a soccer game. Very disruptive, noisy and rude for all guests of the hotel, not just me.

Room was nice

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The staff was inexperienced and at check out was very unprofessional. I complained about several small problems to the manager on duty, Rebecca, and instead of apologizing she said that trainees need to learn and it is ok that they make mistakes. Moreover, she said that if I don’t like their hotel, then their hotel chain does not need me as a guest! Completely unprofessional!

The location and breakfast were excellent!

• Superior Room

There was bee in the room and be sure that it was not small. First day I thought it it come by luck then ı put it to out. Second day there was another bee which makes me uncomfortable.

location. breakfast.

room 706: standard double room where bed stands in a corner in front of window. only accessible from one side or front, hence only one bedside has nightstand and lamp. not appropriate for two people and shouldn't be reserved like that.

• Studio

Not a big deal but the wallpaper was coming in glued. Not a great fan of the key card to power the room- we thought there was a blown fuse! Did not like that there was nowhere to sit in The lobby. If you sat down, they expected you to order something. You need seating for waiting and checking wifi.

Great interior design and three gorgeous palladium windows that could open and tilt. Love the TV as a room divider. The glass desk was sleek and modern. Rebecca at front desk gave us great suggestions. Best advice - when in Hamburg and looking for a hamburger - have the staff make a reservation.

• Studio

Fab hotel, attentive staff in the restaurant both evening and breakfast. Fantastic egg man on duty at breakfast! Good choice of wines and beers. Location good. Easy to find, even in a hire car!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Every thing bad smell in all rooms comes from bathroom which I have to keep window open also what is written in the policy is not right. There is no parking. Otherwise request it on booking time.

• Studio

Very well received at hotel. Kids (12 and 15) also commented very positive ( which is an achievement) Felt car parking service was particularly convenient. Really appreciated this as not overly common in Germany.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

All brilliant. Didn’t find a shoeshine in the room, but got it at reception upon request.

Check in was highest possible level. Additionally received an upgrade.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I thot the location is somewhat nearer to the main central station. We got ridiculously lost in getting there especially since all the cab drivers at the main station refused to send us here :(

We love that the room is very spacious, very comfortable bed and adorable complimentary toiletries. They provide coffee and tea as well as we check in. We also noticed that the housekeeper did an excellent job in always keeping the place in order (even replenished our used glasses although we went out just for a short while). And also I LOVE how the hotel is very near and strategic to all the shopping stores!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The location is super, right in the city center. Also the staff at the reception are all very professional and super friendly. The room is spacious compared to normal european standard. And there are slippers in the room, which is the first time seen in Europe Hotels.

• Superior Room

I had an early flight and i called room service at 4 a.m for espresso coffee and yoghurt. I was told that the coffee machines are closed and the chef comes at 6. They only provided me an american coffee which was not good.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was a glitch with the cleaning of the room. When we moved into the room there was trash under the bed. Fair enough, we raised this with the staff but the same evening the trash was only removed partially. That means that it was not vacuumed under the bed before we moved in and also not the next night after we raised the issue of trash under the bed.

Arrived early morning from an overseas flight and got an upgrade for 20 EUR more per day to check in the morning.

The hotel is very modern and nice. The reservation staff was very helpful helping us with changes at last moment. The breakfast menu is super complete and very good.

• Superior Room

Parking charge very high... but includes valet service.

Fantastic bed, large room, superb location. Staff very friendly -- from bar to reception to the cleaning staff they were all-smiles, helpful and well-spoken. Rooms very large and very comfy.

• Superior Room

A kitchen staff whom preparing egg dishes is rude! Instead of getting plates by himself he asked me to bring a plate for my ordered egg, usually I have no problem with selfservice, but the tune he used and how addressed me is absolutely not acceptable.

The staff in the reception area are very friendly and attentive. The room is spacious and the hotel is situated in a very convenience location.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We were there over New Year when much is closed and the hotel had very little to offer. The seating in the bar / lobby was totally under-dimensioned. The employees are children who are not live up to the service in a 4-star hotel. The restaurant had no special menus for New Year's Eve, just the standard menu (with limited choice). Extra charge for Wi-Fi in the rooms. We expected much more of this hotel.

Comfortable bed, clean room, good location

Hotel should not claim that they have disabled access. The ramp to get to the lifts is very short and very steep, unsuitable for a wheelchair user or mobility scooter. Also the only toilets on the ground floor (where bar and restaurant are) are down a big flight of stairs. In this day and age, paid wifi is just ridiculous. I only booked this hotel as I live in Europe so my mobile plan does not cost me anything when I travel to another European country.

Lovely staff. I ate at the restaurant for dinner and the food was excellent. Location is very handy, close to main shopping areas and attractions. Room was comfortable and had all necessary amenities, although small. Coffee and tea in room and iron and ironing board was a nice touch. The bar area and library on the ground floor are very nice.

At departure ( December 20 ) a man at reception desk demanded me to pay cash Euro 472 for hotel services in spite of bank confirmation /remitance ( checked by a nice lady at arrival -December 18 ) of Euro 318t. It was as well enough schocking as not professional.

I did not like to stay at 7th floor as you have to change elevator to reach your room .. Rates could be a bit cheaper

Location,you can walk to anywhere ..silent,comfartable Room

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Big discrepancy in staff (friendliness and capabilities) You have to pay for wi-fi! Come on it s 2017!! lobby bar needs a refresh (furniture etc)

Rooms are modern location is great building is beautiful

Very bad hotel, The walls are so thin we could literally hear what the people in the room next to us were saying (at 7 am in the morning). Breakfast is really bad, We took the breakfast with the room because we read some good stories about it, Please don’t do it, Nothing is fresh, No fresh Orange juice, No good coffee, Also it was very busy we had to wait for a table. The building really needs a renovation, Especially the breakfast room, Only the rooms got a little touch up, There is a dirty carpet in the room, I don’t understand hotels that still has carpet in the room, Also the shower standard was broken, So we couldn’t take a normal shower. There is also no free wifi in the room ( are you kidding me it is almost 2018??) they make the building look good on the photo’s I really don’t know how they did it.. But they did. Also they ask 29 euro a day for parking, There whole parking lot is empty, We had to go outside to take our own car when we left, For 29 euro’s a day. Please for this kind of money take another hotel!

The only good thing was the location and the bed is comfortable

• Studio

Staff at breakfast ( 0645 when I asked for milk for my child to take to the room) was a bit unfriendly, it seemed to be to much work, as she was in the middle of counting money. Sorry breakfast started at 0630, she should have finished counting her money by then. She gave me milk out of the coffee machine and it was cold. So she sort of got grumpier and said someone in the kitchen would have to do it. Told them and walked off not saying a word to me. I then spotted a female chef heating up the milk for me and she was lovely and really friendly with a smile on her face. Unlike the waitress.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

First they gave me a tiny room far below what I had reserved via Booking.com (which was flatly denied by the receptionist; the picture of a sample room on their city plan proved that she lied). The next morning, a much nicer person at the reception immediately transferred us to a better room, more or less what I though to have reserved. But in that second room the heating didn't work..... No free Wifi. Limited choice room service (but excellent quality).

Excellent location. After complaining a very nice room. Nice lobby & lobby bar. Most staff (except first receptionist), very friendly and cooperative. Although limited choice, nice room service.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I cannot think of anything that

Everything . The location is great . The hotel is so comfortable with such a warm ambience but it's also modern and cool. It's in the centre of everything. The rooms are much bigger than normal hotel rooms and really tastefully decorated . The soundproofingin this hotel is excellent even though it was busy there was no noise from outside or from nearby rooms . One of the nicest hotels I have stayed in in Germany . I would highly recommend it .

One of the employees called Mr. Tobias Andrtsch who was a very stiff in communication with us, refused to exchange the dollars according to the written rate although his colleagues exchanged for us a day before and the day after according to the written rate.

The breakfast was amazing and the location was excellent. All the stuff were cooperative except Mr. Tobias Andrtsch who was a very stiff in communication with us, refused to exchange the dollars according to the written rate although his colleagues exchanged for us a day before and the day after according to the written rate.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The free internet is super slow. For faster internet you have to pay. I was only informed that there is an extra cost for the breakfast on the check out. No one mention on the reception of the breakfast area. I raise a complain but no help provided at all what so ever.

The room was really awesome, and their bathroom kit was amazing as well. Their biggest plus was the day we travelled was my girlfriend's birthday and they have prepared a little birthday present for her. It was really amazing and kind of them.

• Superior Room

The hotel was way too pricy for a 4 star hotel; I had to pay €349 for one night which was indeed exorbitant and completely unacceptable. The interiors and facilities were nice but no way luxurious enough for this price. The guy at the bar was just not willing to serve; not just me but to others as well. I wanted to eat something along with my drink and I could see some leftover plates by other guests on the bar, but he simply offered me some extremely salty crisps. He could have earned hotel some good money from me or should have simply directed me to the restaurant - perhaps he must be a disgruntled staff.

The sofas in the room were very comfortable and so was the bed. The level of cleanliness was very high. Staff at the reception was very helpful and courteous. The hotel is located very close to all the premier shopping areas though of course reaching the hotel by car/ taxi during rush hour can be a huge challenge. Major areas of the city including station and Balindam are at walking distance.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Great hotel in Down town Hamburg. If you want to shop, this is the place to stay. Very good restaurant, we had breakfast and dinner. The bar area is very nice and they serve small snacks to fair prices. We are coming back!

• Studio

Completely shocked by the location of this hotel; central to just about everything and most importantly the SBahn. If you want Cosmopolitan shopping, this is the place to be. Just a couple couple of hops to the Reaperbahn for the night life and all of the other things that you would probably want to do on a weekend break. Hotel was fantastic; we arrived finding that the suite that we had booked was only set for two people and it should've been for four; it took the staff less than 5 minutes to rectify the situation and couldn't have been more apologetic. Breakfast was superb and at a sensible time having had a night out on the Reaperbahn the previous evening! A superb place to stay at a sensible price; highly recommended!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Small rooms, with a noisy air circulation system, I had to change rooms as it was so laud on the corner rooms. I had to leave one day earlier, (11:00 AM) and they didn't give any kind of money back, not even for the parking or breakfast!!

Parking is over priced 28 € Public parking available 1 minute walking price 20€

Very clean bed and bathroom Helpful stuff Comfortable bed and pillows They provided us with a fan because the AC is not cool enough Near everything Every thin was great

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I had a connecting room and my neighbors were noisy, the doors do not provide proper sound insulation.

The rooms are spacious and newly renovated, the bathroom is good. Check in and check out were very smooth.

• Studio

I need to call them to do make up my room No too much staff Avarage clean room Smell in the room

They bring the breakfast to your room with no charge Excellent location, for people who likes shopping and restaurant Good price

Great location in central of Hamburg you can walk through. Impressive reception, valet service. Rooms are superb especially studio for family with children, comfy bed and perfect bathroom.

Our short stay.

WiFi was free. the breakfast was really good. Staff really very sweet and helpful. well located hotel. just walk around, for site seeing or shopping for branded stuff.

Very unpolite waiters in the bar, there is no mini bar in the room and no welcome water. The first room had a very bad smell. The hotel takes a 150 euro deposit and then charges a 2 year old child for breakfast.

• Superior Room

Can't think of anything. It was a pretty sweet place.

The breakfast was good for the price, the bar area was a really nice place to sit for a drink at the end of our day once the kid went to sleep! The room was so pretty and different from the marriotts at home. It was a great exeperince and location! :)

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The wait for our room was quite long but to make up for this we were upgraded to a better room!

One of the staff, Kurt, was really helpful and did his best to make everything perfect for us during our stay. He also arranged for someone from the sales and marketing team to meet us at the hotel to discuss further business trips.

Wifi was not included and expensive

Free upgrade given on check-in. The room had a great bed, very comfortable, it was big with a modern bathroom and good amenities, the decoration was tasteful. Excellent bar with live music in lobby as we arrived. Excellent location in the middle of Hamburg. Super friendly staff. Loved it. Will be back.

no complaints at all.

We liked the location near the opera house and several good eating places. Public transportation was easy to access. The staff was very helpful.

• Studio

Staff overloaded . Long line for checking in and out. Not all information about the stay was giving at the checking in, the lady was in a rush to move to next customer.

Room is spacious for family of four. Very clean and organized

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The sound insulation of the rooms. One could hear clearly people speaking on the corridor every time they would pass by within the proximity of the room.

Breakfast and the comfortable rooms.

The room service food is not varied, for a Peruvian guy like me, food variety is very important.

Rooms are excellent, neat, clean, good view. People are very kind and effective attention.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Poor sound insulation to next door room, staff not particularly friendly/helpful, WIFI in room costs € 100/day, unloading of baggage in front of hotel very poor (car has to be double parked, blocking all traffic)

Excellent location, nice bar, clean rooms, comfortable beds

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No bathrope or slippers (as promoted on booking.com), no radio, breakfast well over-priced (unless you are a grizzly bear), no "coffe machine" as advertised on booking.com - just an ordinary water boiler

Perfect location, very helpfull and friendly staff, nice room, very clean, comfortable beds, nice bar

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Gym could use more training matts for floor stretching and training as i only saw two???

Fresh Fruit and yoghurt everyday. Great selection at breakfast to suit anyone's tastes. Always consistent and friendly staff at the breakfast section.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Everything was perfect!

The location of the hotel is great- in the center of the city, with beautiful surroundings, shops and galleries around. The lake is just 500 meters from the hotel and the main square is 1 km from it. The staff - special thanks to the whole team!!! Everything was excellent - starting from the reception, rooms accommodation and service, the bar! We travelled with our children and found the perfect attention to each of them also! The Hotel is beautiful! The rooms have great modern design! We found the best comfort in the bar and in the rooms after our each great emotional day in Hamburg! Our best thanks to all the staff of the Renaissance Hamburg Hotel!!!

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Superior Room

I got shocked when I noticed that the WiFi in the rooms are Not free in such a high ranked hotel with high cost which should be already covered. I know that it is mentioned about this in booking.com , but during my reservation I wasn't expected for such type of hotels to not have this cheap and easy facility and I did not checked about it before I reserve.

I liked most of the things in this hotel from the good service, location, cleanliness, buffet.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

SPA was in other hotels and out of the hotel's building. and the services was not good. As 5 STAR hotel , Brake fast could take benefited from more variety .

Reception people and Bar man and his staffs were very friendly ant polite and the behave was great.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Had to pay for WiFi which I think for the price of the rooms should be included. Also building work started at 6.30 am in the morning.

The hotel was a great location and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Charge for internet in room, in 2017 that's just silly and mean.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Warm atmosphere in hotel. Nice bar and lounge area, not too large or clinical.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

For the price breakfast should have been included as should Wi-Fi in the rooms. Wi-Fi was only free in public areas.

Lovely hotel with great location, comfortable room, very comfy bed, good bathroom, nice lounge area.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Parking was weird, we arrived by car and drove to the hotel parking entrance. There we were told to park in the public parking garage first and get a parking ticket at the reception for the hotel parking. We ended up keeping the car in the public parking garage (right next door) because it was much cheaper

Very friendly and helpful staff, great central location, good rooms

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Huf ,the breakfast.!4-5 years ago was really great.Last year,now looks poor,out of the hotel breakfast for 25euros looks "for kigs"!!!!

...bed like a cloud,...location close to Hanse Viertel Pasage...lobbybar evening

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast room and bar area rather small for number of guests. Sometimes had to wait for a table at breakfast. On arrival the fee ring-fenced from my debit card account was not returned until at least two weeks later - very poor for travelling public like myself. Did not like the condescending attitude of the Accounts Office staff. Hotel allowed pets and some dogs were a thorough nuisance for paying guests. Staying in a room next to a dog is NOT what I expect for the price!!

Ideal location. Good choice at breakfast. Welcoming bar staff.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

The worst hotel i have been lately.. No wi-fi. No drinks on the mini-bar. Not even a bottle of water in the room. got poisoned by their famous Brick burger.. no value for the price

only location is good

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Our mini bar wasn't stocked. 24 hour room service would have been nice.

Location was excellent. Staff was so accommodating. The lounge and bar had great atmosphere and great servers. Turn-down service was very cleanly. The navigator service so helpful and we didn't have to worry about a thing! Dinner reservations were already made and a taxi was waiting at the door!

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Well thanks I was a member of J.W.Marriot rewards as this was quite not good for a well-known hôtel to make the customers paying the wifi per day... As I did most marriott chains from india, dubai and asia I did not pay for wifi but thanks the lady at the front desk did ask me if I was registered so if you have mariott card you will have free wifi.

I firstly love the welcome of the staff think it was Miss Myriam and a blond long hair guy at the front desk both were extremely nice and helpful... Secondly the location of the hotel as it is near to alster mall where you can have all the shops if you are a shopaholic and if you want a nice cafe or wine in a good restaurant. It is near all the facilities 5min walks to Europa passage mall, 25min walk to the main station ( haupfbanhof ) .. Third amazing restaurant too in the hotel if you don't want to move in the cold weather , you will have good food and good drinks.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Studio

Internet for 10 EUR per night. I have not been charged for WiFi in past 20+ hotels I booked (in 2015-2016). Moreover, the connection did not work well in the room (even to read newspapers!) and I had to go to the lobby to have a reasonable speed.

Great location in the heart of Hamburg. Friendly and professional staff. Excellent breakfast. Comfortable room. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I did not like, that you had to pay extra 10 Euro per day for WIFI (Internet) in the room.

The bed was very comfortable and the room spacious. The location is perfect for discovering downtown Hamburg.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

The bed was a bit hard for my taste. But that is just me.

Very nice Hotel in the Centre of Hamburg. Town square is within 5 minutes of slow walking :-) Lots of things to look at. We spend the night at the x-mas markets having a bit of Glühwein mit Schuss...

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We had to pay quite a lot extra to bring our dog, although we weren't told this when we booked - and we told them we were bringing a dog. The water was turned off 10am-4pm, no effort to compensate us for this was made - not even offered a free coffee. Internet not included, and very expensive to pay for.

Newly renovated, good location, good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room temperature was quite hard to control. TV channels were mainly german only the news was in English (not really a major point). Expensive extras; expensive room wifi & entertainment.

No noise issues. Very clean room. Had everything we needed. Great location. Nice bar/lounge area.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Tea and coffee facilities were a bit sparse even as a solo traveller. Minibars weren't being used although you could purchase items from reception but it was 7 floors down!

Great location and staff were very helpful. Food was reasonable in the Bricks restaurant. A great place to base yourself for Neuer Wall and even walked to St Pauli and the Reeperbahn although it may be a bit far if you don't enjoy a good walk.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

As a hotelier, I was shocked about the lack of a warm welcome from the team. It wasn't busy at the time, and yet not one of 4 team members showed any interest, until finally the gentleman on the Navigator's desk spoke to us. Later we enquired about restaurants and again felt that it was too much trouble for the young lady. Check out on Monday morning was excellent, a complete contrast with a different team member. However, late afternoon we returned to collect our bags only to meet the same less than enthusiastic team.

The central location was excellent with good transport links. Our room was spacious and the faculties were very good.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

No Wi-Fi in rooms although the room rate is quite high and the daily rate for Wi Fi is also very pricey. and as I was sitting in the lobby to use the Wi-Fi (not 30 mins has passed) and I already ordered a drink , a staff member (concierge I think) came and asked me "are you checking in-out?, I said I am a guest then he said exactly those words "then can you please go up to your room as it doesn't look nice to sit laying down like this" I of course left him and headed to the front desk to complain she confronted him he lied and said he didn't say any of the above, and she asked me to wait until she finished check in for guests. Then came back she was gone(shift ended) and so did the concierge. this is was very disappointing and humiliating to myself, I am never coming back to this hotel.

location Breakfast Rooms

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Studio

The room wasn't set up properly for 4 people and we had to call reception to get additional towels, coffee and dressing gowns. The TV was slightly confusing as it seemed as though you had to pay for not only movies, but for music etc also. Prices for drinks at the bar seemed expensive, 10 euros for a brandy!

The room was lovely and had lots of room. The hotel staff were very friendly and were able to assist with directions to the markets and local restaurants.

Browse Renaissance Hamburg Hotel traveller photo gallery