Reviews of Hilton Cologne 5 stars

Marzellenstr. 13-17, Altstadt-Nord, 50668 Cologne, Germany

#86 of 223 hotels in Cologne

5.5

Bed wasnt as comfortable as I met in another 4 and 5 star Hotels before, but you can at least sleep there

Breakfast was great, lobby bar with starbucks coffee, rooms were nice, one of the best locations

• Twin Room with View

Since 2018 wifi is not free; for guest park is not free; .. so many missing in room... so many 2-3 stars hotel better then here. Next year we will back Koln for same exhibition i think my and my friends’s choise will be not here.

Location, breakfast... nice

• Twin Room with View

We paid for Don view room. The girl in the reception gave us a room with view to the block. She said they don't have any more view room although we ordered this kind of room 2 weeks before arrival. Moreover, be careful that the price they charge isn't even close to final. You have to pay 15€ a day for wifi. 28€ a day for parking and 28€ fees or tax.. So 2 nights become 550€ instead of 350€ . Be aware.

Almost nothing except breakfast

Air conditioning could have been stronger given the warm temperatures during our stay. Housekeeping should use a checklist to make sure everything has been refreshed. Had to call for hand towels and coffee cups because they had not been left in the room after cleaning.

• Deluxe King Corner Room

All pictures shows a sofa, huge room with no sofa, all family sitting on bed and two chairs. Towels not white and fluffy, needed to ask for more toileteries.

The location. The breakfast was good but serving was a three star hotel level.

• King Junior Suite

I booked a suite and was assigned room 724 on arrival. For the suite I paid 339 euro. Room 724 was a converted attic space. After getting into the room I realized that the regular rooms for which I did not book that were priced approximately 30% less at around 220 euro were in fact approximately 30% larger in area and much nicer appointed. This practice of selling a "suite" which by the name implies it is supposed to be larger and better appointed than a regular room and charging 30% more and then providing a converted attic space which is small, cramped, no view because it is an attic space, etc...is dishonest, misleading advertising and genuinely sleazy and reminds me of some used car salesmen I have met in the past. I will not stay in this hotel ever again and I will recommend to everyone I know that they do not either. I will also not stay in a Hilton ever again if they endorse such misleading practices as a sales technique at a corporate level. Further to the room issue - the breakfast restaurant serving capacity was designed for a restaurant with approximately 10 table seating 40 persons. In fact the restaurant had approximately 100 tables seating 400 people thus there was no room....it was crowded and uncomfortable like cattle shoved into a box car... food serving constantly empty- people waiting in line and pushing each other because there is no space to walk around...generally miserable. Never again with a Hilton and certainly NOT this one.

absolutely NOTHING!

• Queen Room

My only minor complaint is that there was not excellent water pressure or excellent water heat in the shower. It was acceptable but not excellent. Perhaps, it is a neighborhood issue.

quiet, clean, modern, efficient staff, good location

• Queen Room

The fact that you have to pay for decent wifi is ridiculous. Cologne city supplies decent wifi for free to all visitors. Hilton needs to review this policy. Also, I am not happy about the fact that I do not earn points because I booked via Booking.com.

The hotel is very well located to experience the old town.

Housekeeping just barged into our room, while we were still in our room, without even knocking first

The environment and ambience is awesome, friendly and comfortable. Staffs are helpful and friendly

Find European beds hard and pillows are not the same.Joys of travel!

Handy to Cologne Dom,good clean room for night,good telly.Good sized bathroom with all facilities.

One thing that I really did not like about my stay was that there was only free wifi it you got register to the Hotel fidelity card. For me it is not normal that you cannot have free wifi at a Hilton Hotel in a city.

The breakfast was amazing. Everything was really good and the breakfast room was not noisy at all. The location was great as it is located 2 minutes from the city center, 2 minutes from the central station. The room was also really nice, very clean, quite, the bathroom was big, with a great shower. The bed was perfect. There was even a starbucks bar in the lobby. Which is amazing!

• Queen Room

Wi-fi is like an air now and there should be no difficulties with free wifi and here it was really worst than in a bus. spa hours was so bad that it was unposibble to use it if you really want to see the city ( from 12pm till 22pm)

Great localisation, nice rooms and very friendly stuff.

• Queen Room

Both me and my Husband thoroughly enjoyed our stayed in the Hilton Cologne, we stayed for a total of 3 nights and our friends joined us for two nights as we were away celebrating my 30th Birthday. The hotel was lovely and clean and the rooms were lovely too, a little smaller than expected but were still nice. Our bed was a little bit too soft but I suppose that is just personal preference so not really a disadvantage to count towards our overall stay. We would definitely re-visit Cologne and the Hilton is in a perfect location to discover the city and easy to access from the airport on the train.

• King Room with View

Wifi only free if you become Hilton Club member. WiFi should be free of charge. It is 2018!!! Shower not properly cleaned.

Good breakfast, great location.

I am amazed that a modern Hilton charges € 15 for internet access which is in 99% of all the hotels we use now common practice to provide free as art of the normal service ! Appalling trick to charge methodology and not at all simple to assertion

• Queen Room

Evidently, someone made fraudulent charges in the Hilton's name on the credit card I used for this lodging. My bill was 257.26 euros, which was room + taxes + 40 euros breakfast. My card was charged $265.81 US + $341.10 US + $61.51 US. I have stopped payment on the last two charges.

• Deluxe King Corner Room

The whole building, and especially our room, was very dimly lit which made the mood quite gloomy

The bed, the bathroom and the fact that the air conditioning worked well AND it made an even noise, not a humming or mechanical noise. I slept straight away and all night. Fabulous! And the room was REALLY quiet! Yippee

Have to remind several times to housekeeper To bring water, laundry bags, etc Price was not very competitive during my stay

Excellent location , good size room

Very noisy rooms! Music from next door was like in our bed! Kingsize bed for 3, this was not really kingsize...

Staff was friendly. Great sauna! Very good breakfast!

• Queen Room

Basic room with a queen bed was way too small and claustrophobic. Had to upgrade at a reasonable charge but the new room although better had absolutely no view and no sunlight exposure.

Very good location close to the cathedral and the central station.

WIFI is not free, bottle of water costs €3.50 in the room, I booked a king sized room and asked if there was a possibility of having one with a nice view.... we were given the bottom floor and it was dark. The king size room they advertise on booking.com was larger than the king size room given. Not a party area of the city of Cologne, for people wearing heels. Breakfast is quite steep at €30. There is a city tax that gets added onto the end price.

It was very conveniently located beside the Cathedral which is one of the main tourist attractions. It was about a 5 min walk from the train station (only €2.90 from airport to station), very near the shopping area: Michael Kors, Max Mara, Louis Vuitton & Douglas (like Sephora) etc. Very quiet area, comfy beds, clean room, tea making facilities. The Ice Bar is part of this hotel and the bartenders make amazing cocktails. Room service was tasty and efficient.

• Queen Room

Some rough sleepers locate themselves next to the hotel and that could be a problem.

The hotel is two blocks from the Central Station, convenient located. There are some bars and shops around that are open at night as well. The Cathedral is very close as well, and you cn walk to the centre of the city as there is a pedestrian zone. Sauna is great, and the bar serves good cocktails.

Stars are not according to standard expected. Free wifi only available in reception area. Nowadays the majority of hotels provides free wifi in all the rooms/hotel facilities.

Distance to the old city and cathedral

The cost of breakfast was very high at 27 euros, which we avoided.

Right in the city centre, just a few mins from the train station. Staff were very friendly, even at midnight when we checked in. Bedroom was very large, beds were comfortable, and air conditioning worked well.

• Queen Room

Nice location with easy access to the city center and the Dom. A lot of famous food around here and great sauna area as Honors never miss it.Would like to recommend to come next time.

• Queen Room

I feel they need to upgrade and include some features to make a hotel stand out. Although it wasn’t a bad experience but I think Hilton is a big name but they haven’t kept the luxurious standards.

There was nothing special for a 5 star hotel

• Queen Room

parking was 28EUR, It would have been nice to know upfront how much all the additional prices are. There is no free parking in a 2 mile radius near the hotel.

Great Hotel, Great employees, great service. We felt welcome and very comfortable.

• Queen Room

Lack of advertised facilities.

When I booked my stay I used your filters to locate a 5 Star hotel with Spa facilities. The hotel does Not have a Spa or associated facilities. I was disappointed and complained to the hotel directly. I would not have selected this hotel based upon no Soa facilities. As a regular Booking . Com user I am not happy on this occasion and ask for an explanation on why the filter was inaccurate?

• Queen Room

Not having free wi-fi in the room in this day and age i think is unacceptable. This is the first hotel in ages i have stayed at where the wi-fi in the room is paid for.

Hotel is clean and comfortable and a good central location. Breakfast is great and the staff are all very friendly and helpful.

• Family Room

Very poor staff. I think they really improve their attitude,it makes me very uncomfortable. I dont think I will choose Hilton again. It very disappointing me.

• Queen Room

The pillows were extremely uncomfortable, too soft.

Brilliant location just round the corner from the station and the cathedral. Lovely varied breakfast!

• Queen Room

Unfortunately, on the last day because of carelessness of one of the hotel's crew, our child's carriage was broken (in front of my wife's eyes, he threw it out of room). As we had to go to the airport quickly and my baby was sick, on that time we couldn’t follow it. This issue caused a damage around $ 4,000 for us.

• Queen Room

Lobby looks a bit warn out, outdated

Good, spacious room, the hotel itself lies at the heart of city centre. Excellent bed. The hotel is near all necessary shops, cafe's, restaurants, several steps from the famous cathedral of Cologne.

• Queen Room

Paid wi-fi, sub-standard lobby because it was cleared out for Carnival the following day, no atmosphere in social areas.

Location to the central station

• Queen Room

Room was small No one helping you to carry the luggage from the lobby stairs. No real lobby to have your meeting there. Instead you should sit in a very noisy bar.

Location was great. Room was clean

• Twin Room with View

My room was not cleaned. I asked for new bedding it never came. Very disappointing.

Staff on reception were really friendly and welcoming. Porter was extremely helpful.

• King Room with View

Empty minibar was not very welcoming...No standing shower either. Only one of the two usb bedside ports worked. In room slippers would be nice and on par with other 5 star hotels.

Excellent staff and service. Breakfast was pretty good too as is the Grab and Go shop next to reception. Free wifi for Hilton Honors members. Opportunity to waive taxes for business travellers is good too.

• Queen Room

Charge for our Pet was 40 euros - we stayed for one night. Most I have ever paid before is 15 euros. Internet is chargeable unless you are a Hilton Honours member. Room was quite tired and scruffy - not what I would expect from a 5 star property.

Good location and friendly staff.

• Queen Room

The room (queen) is too tiny and dark. Totally empty fridge, even not turned on! Never seen this in any Hilton or other 5-star hotel. No drinking water in the room - only one lukewarm bottle with water with gas. Nobody meets or greets you at the door or even in the lobby. If there was no sign of Hilton I would never suggest that this hotel belongs to the chain.

The location is perfect. The breakfast was very good.

Only thing we didn’t like was that we had booked way in advance but they gave us a room on the fourth floor with not such a nice view. That was the only complaint..

• Queen Room

Breakfast was great, the ambiance was nice and everything was fresh. The Sauna was excellent, just the lockers' system was a little bit complicated. Other than that, just relaxing. The location was perfect. Will definitely come back again!

• King Room with View

we were not made to feel welcome. we had written to you twice re a room extension, both ignored and no apology from desk staff. Male staff at front desk unpleasant and unhelpful. wi-fi extra for standard quality??

Breakfast, location

• Queen Room

Double bed could be bigger in the queen room; 180cm width instead of 160cm. Noise from outside can be heard.

Breakfast was excellent. Spacious bathroom. Location was perfect.

• Queen Room

Wi-Fi is not free unless you join some club. Difficult access to lift due to stairs - a nuisance with a heavy suitcase.

Convenient location. Great room service. Comfy beds.

• Queen Room

Key cards didnt work at times, real pain to go back down to Reception. New Years eve band not very good, nobody dancing

Staff were very friendly and effecient

• King Room with View

Room was not ready when we arrived and we waited nearly an hour for it to be ready. The corridor leading to the room was having some damp related work done it looked like and gave a very poor first impression, however the room,when we eventually could get into it was lovely

Smokers (pillars) at the entrance welcoming the guests with an ashtray smell. Pots with mediocre coffee and non-fresh juice served standard at breakfast, fresh juice available at buffey, but very acid. Availability of espresso not mentioned, but served on request. Coffee and tea in room very basic.

Good rooms and breakfast, very good location.

• Queen Room

Parking was full but no problem as told and so parked around the corner in Am Dom

We were upgraded to Queen size bed and complimentary fizz-it was much appreciated. But David the breakfast waiter was a real star when we asked him places to go for a beer. He came back with a map and marked out places easy and also where he goes with his Father-thank you David!!

• King Room with View

Would have been better if steam was working Sauna opening times is limited would have liked

Lovely ambiance Professional staff Clean room Excellent beds and pillows for my fussy husband it more

• Queen Room

Terrible bed, terrible pillows, no free wifi, room only had one towel for two people, no consent to large hold on credit card and been told it's going to take a week to get the money back

Close to Christmas markets

In the room was extremely cold, the heating didn´t work, especially in the bathroom. We called the technical department but no one showed up. The service is really impersonal, by check-out we haven't been asked if our stay was good or not. We haven't felt welcomed and won't never book this hotel again

Breakfast buffet was good

• Queen Room

Room was uncomfortably hot and small. Wifi was very expensive, as was the car park.

Great location right in the city very close to Cathedral and Christmas markets

• Queen Room

Security deposit (50 Euro) has been taken during check-in ??? & not return during check-out??? Free Wi-Fi very low speed everywhere.

Good & clean room. Nice bed. Very good & delicious breakfast.

The staff was not so lovely, friendly and hotel is very poor condition compared to Hilton standart. I really wasn’t expecting the staff to be so unfriendly and incompetent.

Location is very close to HBF and Dom, This is one and only advantage for this hotel

The walk to hotel across plaza from central train station took 4 minutes The breakfast buffet, although pricey was excellent The room was top quality

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Breakfast buffet looked very impressive....however, all hot food was cold, bacon was very under cooked, salmon tasted awful, very disappointing.

The location and our room for 3.

The television didn't offer much variety. All English channels were news stations and the only two Italian stations that we could follow didn't have good reception. We complained about this at the reception and she we were informed that get the reception from a provider although she would send the technician to check the set. Until we left we still had the same problem and nothing has changed. This was the only thing that disappointed us during our stay since we were not staying in a 3 star hotel and then let's face it, this is the Hilton and the provider excuse wasn't sufficient to us. It was a pity we couldn't watch any television considering the snowing weather outside and that we had to spend more time than we planned inside due to that.

Rooms are really clean and soundproof. We never heard a sound now from the those staying in the rooms next to us and neither coming from the corridor. Breakfast is super abundant and simply delicious. The hotel is very close to the city center that you won't need any public transport. The hotel restaurant, Konrad Restaurant offers excellent service and delicious food. Eating there is good value for money.

Wifi in the room was of very poor quality, even though I was assured that it should work fine. It actually only worked late at night, meaning that the hotel probably needs to invest into some upgrades there. There was also a plumbing problem in the bathroom, which I reported to the reception and got assured that it would be dealt with immediately, but never got fixed during my short stay.

Superb location, a few steps from the Dom and the vibrant old city centre (filled with Xmas markets this time of the year). Very comfortable bed. Quiet and spacious room with some of the best light-blocking curtains I have ever seen in a hotel room. Soundproofing must be excellent, I could not even hear the cleaners working in the next room.

The payment method. You pay your stay the first day wit a charge of 10% (approximately). The return you back the charge a week later. I don’t know what kind of guests the usually have but I found this payment method unappropiate.

The view (we had a great offer so did not expect too much either). Oh, and too many mirrors in the bathroom - but that's complaining on a high level. Nothing major to complain about.

Great Location Close to the Dom and the trainstation with plenty of restaurants and bars close by - and of course the Shopping street. The bed was REALLY comfi (not too soft) and the room was clean with kettle, glasses/Cups (incl instant coffee and tea), hairdryer, iron etc. Staff was nice, although we did not see too many of them as we only stayed 2 nights and did not have breakfast there (a lot of nice coffee places around to have breakfast).

• Queen Room

I did try and go for a sauna but it wasn't hot and there was no-one in the leisure area to ask for help

The room was very comfortable and larger than we expected and the location of the hotel was perfect, everything was within easy walking distance

• Queen Room

The room was very badly designed . Very cramped for 2 people considering it's a queen room .Very little room for clothes and luggage . Lighting was extremely bad in bedroom , very atmospheric but of no practical use .

The breakfast was very good .

• Queen Room

No mini bar in room, slightly unusual in a 4 star hotel / telephone did not work, advised reception / insufficient supplies of milk for the tea and coffee in room but reception did arrange for further cartons.

Very good restaurant, comfortable and quiet bedroom and excellent staff. well situated for city centre and public transport links.

• Deluxe King Corner Room

No Executive lounge. Our room was not as good as friends room and theirs was supposed to be a lower level. Felt we had paid extra for nothing.

• Twin Room with View

The beds were very hard, not giving a good nights sleep. The room only had one chair, so one person would have to sit on the bed, although when we asked they did give us another one. The air conditioner fan was noisy. The lighting was very poor.

Good location, excellent for train travel

• Queen Room

the bed was uncomfortable. the covers and pillows were not comfortable. the room was small. wifi was charged and although the reception staff said they would give us free wifi; the connection did not work

the room was clean, reception staff friendly. location is good

• Queen Room

we had a very unpleasant experience due to attitude of the door guards. Human sensitivity needs to overrule routine protocols. They were rough and arrogant. They apologized later, of course. But their mentality became evident. Hence I have rated this hotel as less. Else everything else was good.

Good rooms, location, ambience, food

Hotel is a little tired long way from reception to main lift through conference area. Strange thing had limited door keys could only allow one per room due to shortage as room was double occupancy this was not Hilton standard.

The hotel was fantastic. Staff were welcoming and friendly, the bar was excellent and the breakfast in the morning was lovely. When I come back to Cologne, I will be sure to be book here.

• Queen Room

Staff was extremely friendly. I met a few who weren’t front desk staff in the lift & corridors and they all smiled and spoke to me. Never felt so welcome

my needs were fullfilled

comfy beds, friendly stuff, even thought i’ve had some difficulties we managed to get out of problem thanks to the great staff, quiet rooms, alot of space

The rat running around in the lobby bar made the experience unpleasant. The staff showed no alarm and seemed to be used to the experience.

Rooms are comfortable.

• King Room with View

Cost of breakfast was beyond expensive at almost 54 euro or $70 US Dollars for 1 adult and 2 children. Hotel reception would not take my Hilton Honor's member number or give a military member discount. Parking was 28 euro or $40 US dollars. Room was small and had only a king bed. I asked for a rollaway bed for my son who is 10 years old and was told that the room was for only 2 adults. I traveled with my 12 year old daughter and 10 year old son so I was out of luck. I travel for work and leisure alot and I can honestly say I will never stay at a Hilton Hotel again.

• Twin Room with View

Staff at the check in on arrival, assigned wrong room, keys exchanged. Not very helpful. Paid € 690 for 1 night for a normal room, I was asked € 25 for 24 hrs internet. A total shame!!

• Queen Room

We were there for two nights. When we got back to our room at 8 pm we discovered they had not made it up.

Breakfast was an amazing buffet. Location is perfect - near the main train station and Old Town.

Browse Hilton Cologne traveller photo gallery