Reviews of Hilton Mainz City This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Münsterstr. 11, Altstadt, 55116 Mainz, Germany

#16 of 30 hotels in Mainz

4.7

I would be happy to go back to this hotel.

Breakfast costs were out of line with other hotels I used (and where I did buy breakfast).

Excellent location, although a little difficult to find from the Hauptbanhof.

Comfortable and convenient hotel in Mainz city centre

The breakfast is expensive; nearby you can buy breakfast for half the price. The TV did not offer BBC World. The only English language channel seemed to be CNN.

The room was well-sized, nicely furnished and the bathroom was very acceptable.

The bed was very comfortable.

Thought the price of breakfast buffet was very high - that is why I ate it only once.

The bed was very comfortable. Ate breakfast only once - a broad selection. Good location is a middle size town; short walking distance to everything; quiet street.

Useful base for public transport touring.

Paying for the internet was exorbitant and will have to go in C21st. Also there was an odd E 25 extra for something I don't recognise which I will have to chase up.

The breakfast was interesting and the location great for our train holiday. Large bath was good and toiletries etc excellent. iron and ironing board much appreciated.

Restless trip filled with inadequacies of the Hilton.
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

The door to the balcony was broken, and would not fully close. The key card entry for the door had a dead battery and needed to be replaced. There was elevator music that could be heard in the hallways. The King bed had twin bed comforters instead of a king (mildly frustrating, if that had been the only thing then it would have been fine). The view from the balcony was unimpressive Don't stay in room 507 if u ask for a balcony, maybe room 508&509 might have a better sight. Such a useless breakfast, completely unimpressive for a Hilton. Everything had a mediocre taste, fruit was bland, bacon was burned and then chewy, eggs was gross solid mass. The price that one paid for this hotel is not reflective of what one receives. I would not recommend it, and will reconsider my trips to the Hilton in general.

Easy check in and out.

Receptionist needs training in people skills

The receptionist on arrival was very rude, so much so that had we not been in a group, i would have left and found somewhere else to stay. First impressions are so important

Breaky good, staff good, great central location, comfortable rooms except pillows which had little filling, we asked for extra.

Not up to the reputation of Hilton

Curtains were dirty... literally could see spider and dust.. Duvet covers were torn. Bed wasn't too comfy either.. Paid wifi in 2018!

Good location. Pleasing staff.

Comfortable, quiet.

Carpet dingy looking. In all fairness , room was clean, just worn looking.

Breakfast was very good. Lots of variety. Staff very helpful. Everything I needed was in the room. Good water pressure.

The location near the old town.

I requested a same day reservation. The rate that I was quoted on Booking.Com was 209 Euros . When I checked out of the hotel on the next day, I was told by the front desk clerk that the room rate had changed ( in one day) from 209 Euros to 339 Euros because there was a convention in Frankfurt that caused a demand for hotel rooms, and an increase in prices.

The location near the old town.

Nice hotel in great location, Terrible pillows!

The pillows are absolutely awful! The worst pillows I have ever used, or seen, in my entire life. They are thin and lumpy. We had two rooms and both rooms had awful pillows. We requested more pillows and they were all the same. This Hilton needs to invest in all new pillows.

The staff was very nice and helpful.

Nice but could have been better.

Pillow very minimal. had to ask for another one each. room far too hot and our room 104 had no windows. and we tunred the heating off.

Very Convenient for the town centre and train station

Great location for sure and price was great— it needs a makeover and a gym

Hotel a little tired— used to stay here years ago— bar downstairs used to be cozy and inviting—- No Gym! What the heck? If I had known that we wouldn’t have chosen— rooms were uncomfortably warm-even the hallways were like a sauna—

Location location—-rooms cleaned nicely- front desk very helpful especially Christoff

Nice breakfast and hotel in the city center with enough...
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

Tiny room for 3 people even I remarked during the booking that it was for 2 adults and a kid. Complementary bed to be fitted in a small room, Tetris!

Nice breakfast and hotel in the city center with enough space in the nearby streets to park the car (and spare the parking robbery of the hotel)

Location excellent, room very clean and quiet.

Breakfast overpriced, you can get something to eat within walking distance of hotel for a quarter of the price. For the price you would expect free wi-fi in the roon.

Location excellent, room very clean and quiet.

Good location, spacious rooms

Wall-to-wall carpeting in the room always makes my nose run. I would prefer wood, laminate or other allergy friendly flooring.

Good location, spacious rooms

After a long travel this hotel was a great respite.

Shuttle service is always a plus.

Location was near nice sites to tour. Nice ,safe area in general. Staff was very attentive. The restaurant was excellent both for dinner as well as breakfast. Front desk and wait staff, amazing.

recommended for leisure and business travelers.

rooms a bit run-down, about time for revamping. a bit boring room design, similar to other big (boring) hotels.

good facilities, close to old town/cathedral/shopping area, good breakfast easy parking

Needs urgently a renovation.......avoid it.

Long overdue refurbishment needed! Room was not very clean,I got a room with 2 single beds,the narrowest I have ever seen! Very uncomfortable and "dark" room with furniture from the 90s.Thank God I stayed only one night. Poor breakfast,the whole hotel looked outdated and old.

I liked nothing.

I enjoyed my stay but my room was overpriced.

I did book late but paid over 230 euros/night for a delux double room (incl breakfast). The room was spacious but "dated"looking and the carpet looked old. The bathroom sink was cracked. The room was clean but i expected more for the price. I had friends stay in a standard double room for half the price.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The hotel was within walking distance of the City Centre/Theatre/Museums/bars and restaurants.

Stay here if you visit Mainz. We certainly will if we return.

One window in our room couldn't be opened, and the room safe didn't function. Neither of these was a big deal, though.

Great hotel, room, location, breakfast, restaurant, and wonderful, helpful staff. In particular, a young lady named Yasmine, who worked at the desk, figured out how I could connect to wifi on my iPad, after it was thoroughly messed up at a previous hotel, and then figured out how to print our boarding passes at the hotel, which turned out to be a very complicated process.

Good location on quiet street in the city centre.
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

The hotel's underground car park was very convenient but quite expensive - 20 Euros overnight.

Good location on quiet street in the city centre. Large and comfortable room with a little balcony.

Disappointing.

Charging hefty prices for Wifi access is outrageous and equivalent to hidden fees (unless you become a member). We traveled 3 weeks in Europe and used various 3-5 star hotels in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and Hungary. All provided free and stable Wifi for the simultaneous use of multiple devices. Free Wifi is what one should expect from any decent hotel in a Western country these days.

Staff was excellent.

I like the location, the hotel is standard not like Hilton in the US

The staff did not inform us that we could have had breakfast at the property The bed was the worst bed ever!!! Hard as a rock, the cleaning staff wants to clean your room when they want to clean it, not when you want to clean it

Location proximity

Good hotel but a little bit expensive

Our rooms was so cold, the air conditioner didn't work! But when I told to receptionist, they provide our rooms with heaters! So good!

The rooms are big enough. Breakfast is so good, the staffs are so friendly and the facilities of the rooms are so good (coffee maker, tea maker and ... ) The location is in Altstadt (GREAT)

Restaurant cafe was nice.

Wish the bed was a little softer

Restaurant cafe was nice. Although I didn't have any food, a glass of wine on the courtyard terrace was very nice after a long day of travelling. The location was ideal. Very quick walk to major tourist sites, transportation lines, and businesses but on a quiet street.

Comfortable and enjoyable.

Internet access can sometimes be a bit problematic.

Staff are really welcoming and this makes a lot of difference when your living in hotels most weeks.

I strongly recommend this hotel to tourists looking for accommodation near Mainz Altstadt.

The restaurant for breakfast was crowded and the restaurant staff were less than attentive.

The location was superb. The staff at the reception were very kind and willing to provide useful information.

Extra charges are exhorbitant

At these prices charging an additional 15 euros per 24 hours for wifi is a rip-off and 25 euros for a buffet breakfast is ludicrous

Large comfortable room. Good location between station and old town, and on a quiet street

Some problems but handled well by staff
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

We made our reservation one day in advance. Upon arrival I was told that there was no bed in the room for our son. When I showed the desk clerk (Adam)the screen shot of my reservation clearly showing 3 people he said the bed was not in place since I had only reserved that morning which was not true. Even if it was true it takes 10 minutes to set up a rollaway. He also implied that the King room was not big enough to handle the rollaway which also turned out to be untrue. We had been driving throughout Germany for 15 days with no problem having a third bed. That issue was resolved but then the AC was broken. They were reluctant to move us but finally did after we insisted. New room also had non working AC. We slept in a hot room. The next day we were moved to a third room that finally had working AC. While we were not happy with these issues we felt that two of three employees handled the problems well and tried to make us happy. We had reserved at this property for two days to take a break from being on the road. All the problems and lack of a cool room the first night were frustrating but we appreciated being comped breakfast for two days and having our parking also comped.

The breakfast buffet was huge with many options and beautifully presented. The breakfast area had a lovely outside dining area. The location was close to dining and the river. Rooms were clean with comfortable beds.

Ageing American chain hotel with great location
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

The breakfast was extremely expensive. We found several restaurants just blocks away with breakfast buffets for less than half of Hilton's price. The mini fridge was packed full with different drinks, leaving us no room to put our own water bottles in. I chose the King Hilton Room with Balcony but our room was much smaller than the picture on booking.com. It was VERY difficult to get out onto the balcony with heavy drapes, several steps up, and a door handle that was sometimes difficult. The card to open the door to our room worked with difficulty: got stuck in the slot and wouldn't then turn the green light on to open the door.

Several short walks from the train station. Near to Schiller Platz and not a far walk to Marktplatz. Beautiful view from our balcony which was equipped with a table and chairs. Two very fast elevators. Mini fridge. Amazing choice of TV stations including MANY in foreign languages. Very friendly staff who were comfortable speaking in German or English. Huge breakfast buffet (baked beans??)

Good location, mislead by online promo

I booked room online which included breakfast. At registration, I confirmed that breakfast was included. Yet, the next morning, I was told the room only included breakfast for one person. We were charged 25 Euros for my husband's breakfast -- way overpriced for what was offered. I should have been told at check in that breakfast was 25 Euro additional. Disappointed

Friendly front desk person

Super Location

We loved the location. It was so convenient to the centre of Mainz. The breakfast buffet was very nicely presented and there was a great variety of food/ beverages on offer. We found the staff very helpful and attentive.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Location was perfect

Hate a duvet and square flat pillows. Prefer sheets and a blanket and full form pillows. Had a king with 2 duvets. Miserably uncomfortable. May as well had a twin. Room was unbearably hot. No way to control temperature

Location was perfect

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

Breakfast was excellent with interesting variety of food.

Breakfast was excellent with interesting variety of food. Location was just perfect and staff very helpful with my special questions regarding motorcycle routes etc.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Comfortable and convenient hotel in Mainz city centre

It seems there may not always be a clear line of communication between the hotel and booking.com, and this can lead to misunderstandings and confusions over pricing and room types.

Friendly, engaging and helpful staff, who made every effort to make our stay comfortable; and when a couple of things went wrong, they were addressed promptly, appropriately and without any fuss.

Disappointing for a high cost hotel

No heat in room. Shower over bath. Cracked washbasin. Limited and expensive dinner menu. 15 euros for wifi in room! Couldn't get wifi in public rooms. Room key dodgy. Only one armchair in king size room.

Good breakfast

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Not up to Hilton Standards

No wifi in room, parking was very expensive, breakfast wasn't included, only 1 pillow provided

Check in was great, location is ideal for exploring the city

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Old Town access

The "bath" towels are big enough for children. The pillows are thin and flabby - no support. Fifteen Euros /day for internet is bizarre!

The bed was comfortable. I would like to see a cover less warm than the duvet, especially in summer.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Great Hotel and staff in a great city.........needs WIFI in room at no charge

wifi should be available in room for NO charge. Hilton needs this fixed asap it is a irritant for a hotel of this caliber to have charges for WIFI, or have to go to lobby for service. Need to get modern on this.

Quiet and convenient for our purpose. Breakfast was superb. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Decent sized rooms in a quiet location but only 5 mins from...

Breakfast was extremely expensive, should really be included in the rate ideally.

Decent sized rooms in a quiet location but only 5 mins from the square and 10 mins walk from the train station.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Mainz Hilton a perfect location.

The bed was very comfortable; the mattress and the bedding nice. It was quiet and the room temperature was comfortable. The curtains did a great job of blocking out light. The staff very courteous. Great location.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

We will probably return

Limited menu. Requested extra towels housekeeping took them back. Would have liked a real coffee maker in the room. Mold in shower.

The young lady working in the bar, restaurant, and room service was exceptional knowledgable, friendly,and helpful. I think her name was Romina. She is the type of employee every business wants.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

A wonderful stay.

Breakfast and wifi are very expensive (wifi in the lobby is free though). We got great breakfast at two nearby restaurants for only <10 euro.

Spacious room, comfortable beds, large and clean bathroom, quiet, air-conditioned. Overall a wonderful stay.

Excellent location, at walking distance to the center of the...

Excellent location, at walking distance to the center of the city, and very easy to drive to and from outside the city.

Great location...next to the Old Town!

Location, breakfast, quiet room, option to open a window

old, brown carpets, brown sink, brown furniture, price is to high, air conditioning

Location, breakfast, quiet room, option to open a window

I hope to change everything in the room because old

I hope to change everything in the room because old

Staff really tried their best
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

Poor location. And it is „only“ a City Hilton. Rooms are far too small. Paid Wifi a no-go!!!

Staff really tried their best

Felt oldish the room.

Felt oldish the room.

not good
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

old furniture ,pay for internet,much dust in the room,

good location

Coca Cola @ Lobby Bar

Only paid WIFI in hotel rooms. Who charges for WIFI any more?

Coca Cola @ Lobby Bar

Perfect

Room is very nice

We were waiting l lot of time to get our room.

We were waiting l lot of time to get our room. Wen we get our room there is so cold!

good breakfast

a little old funiture

good breakfast

Clean and feels like home
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

No lift for the rooms .perfect for young family no kids

Clean and feels like home

Except for the hold on the credit card almost a month later, most enjoyablegreat location and staff

Put a hold on our credit card which is still there after checking out and paying cash for the stay.

Breakfast is a meal fit for a king!

My room was amazing 😉

My room was amazing 😉

Estancia agradable

Todo en general

Maintenance work during breakfast in breakfast area.

Maintenance work during breakfast in breakfast area. Drilling and sawing the bar area.

10 minutes walk to everything in the center.

No cream in shoes-cleaner on the floor

10 minutes walk to everything in the center. Comfortable bed

Super location.

Wifi to be paeyd for.

Good breakfast, excellent C/P value

Good breakfast, excellent C/P value

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Excellent location and breakfast.
    • King Hilton Balcony Room

Excellent location and breakfast. Convenient garage

Everything was good except room door lock, which wasn't...

Everything was good except room door lock, which wasn't open right away unless reactivated by reception and it appears old model.

Great breakfast--staff were friendly helpful and happy

We were given a room with no possibility to open the windo.

We were given a room with no possibility to open the windo. We did not sleep well.

For a weekend in Mainz and being able to walk everywhere it is great.

Carpets in rooms a little tired and the shower head kept falling off

Unbeatable location

Ok for a night.

Expensive breakfast

Location and bicycle park

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Service is Hilton quality.

Interior definitely need an update.

Service is Hilton quality.

Good breakfast convenient parking

Single beds and only 1 pillow.

Good breakfast convenient parking

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

exactly what you expect from a good hotel chain but better than the average Hilton

Good location near the city centre but not noisy. Nice size room. Helpful staff. Very nice pleasant breakfast

It was a comfortable overnight stop during a holiday in...

It was a comfortable overnight stop during a holiday in Germany

very good stuff

very good stuff

All the staff were very helpful, exceptional in fact and all...

All the staff were very helpful, exceptional in fact and all of us commented on this.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Key card to room does not fonction well.

Key card to room does not fonction well.

Browse Hilton Mainz City traveller photo gallery