Reviews of IBB Hotel Passau City Centre This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Bahnhofstrasse 24, 94032 Passau, Germany

#24 of 34 hotels in Passau

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

6.0
    The receptionists very lazy to work.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The receptionists very lazy to work. I booked the room through booking and I was showing them the confirmation what I get by email and they were telling us to wait until they will get also the confirmation and they went out to smoke. So when they came back I went to them again. They took my ID card and this from my partner and they were taking pictures of our IDs and I asked them why they are taking pictures and they told me because the copy machine is not working. And to the guest before us they could copy there's ID. Very unfriendly staff.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Great breakfast for the cost.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location was a long way from Old Passau, fine when busses were running, but otherwise not. Dining room closed.

Great breakfast for the cost. Parking was very reasonable.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Good place if you dont need to be in the center.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing, except it is a little far from the center.

Hotel is 300 yards from Railstation and must be the biggest in Passau. Probably mostly for Business Travelers because the Center of tows is not close by. I think they have a pool but not sure. The room was the largest I ever had in any hotel, like a family room with 2 large beds. The only Hotel which had a bottle of water in the room of the 4 hotels I stayed in this time in Germany and Austria.

This was my fourth bicycle trip through Passau and I have...
    • Executive Business Double Room

Sorry, nothing comes to mind.

This was my fourth bicycle trip through Passau and I have stayed the 3 last times in this hotel. This should be a clear sign that it is worth of trying at least for people traveling with bikes. They have a good garage for the bikes just next door and the breakfast in superb. The old town is a short walk away but after a long day on the saddle it just what you actually need.

Good value for money

Lobby and rooms are a bit dated, yet quite confortable.

Superior rooms are big, beds are huge and Breakfast was great. They even have gluten and lactose free options on demand. Location is good if you need to be near the train station. Staff is really friendly. Secured bike storage.

Value for money near train and bus stations
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast room manager on the morning we were there was positively obnoxious. We couldn’t find a cleared table and I drew this to his attention. He just walked away! We eventually found a table for two which was ready, and we settled down to our breakfast. I was mid mouthful, when the young manager rushed over and babbled frantically at us in German. I replied that we didn’t speak German and he said we had to move as the table was reserved. There was no ‘reservation ‘ sign on it. We dutifully moved all our breakfast to another table and continued to enjoy a good meal. The irony of this story is that the young lady and partner, who this table had obviously been reserved for, arrived and didn’t like it at all and insisted they be moved to another table which happened to be next to us. We have not stayed in an IBB hotel before and we were very impressed with the standard of the hotel. It was just perhaps the training of the staff that was lacking.

The bedroom was a good size with two large single beds, and both the bedroom and the bathroom were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was extremely good with plenty of choices of hot and cold dishes. there was a dedicated garage for bicycles. the reception staff were very helpful and charming.

passau
    • Executive Business Double Room

Couldnt find the door to the lift togo to the parking, wouldve been handy if there had been a sign.

Everything was clean and very comfy, the location was easy to find and had great parking with access to the hotel, great view on the river Donau as well. It was very quiet.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

A very lovely and comfortable hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel was a short walking distance from the train station so was very handy. Staff was friendly and helpful and the room very comfortable and clean. Breakfasts were very hearty with a wide selection from which to choose.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Bike friendly Hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel facilities are very good and the personal is very kind they offer me a place where to store the bicycles. I recommend to everyone this hotel !

The breakfast selection was great, the room was comfortable...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel overall seemed like it needed refurbishment, it is a bit tired.

The breakfast selection was great, the room was comfortable and well furnished but felt a little worn.

The breakfast was very good indeed.
    • Standard Single Room

Compared to other places I've stayed at a similar price, the room was not modern and looked a little shabby. There was no safe deposit box in the room. On check-in, the staff were inattentive. It was better on check-out.

The breakfast was very good indeed.

Staff gave us early check in.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Trains a bit noisy in the morning

Staff gave us early check in. Motorbike parking aloud at front of hotel, off road. Excellent gluten free options for breakfast.

good for pitstop and morning stroll through beautifull Passau
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The evening receptionist must have had off day, no hello and no explanations. The morning staff made up for it 100% though.

Easy to reach from the A3 highway yet very close to city centre for a morning stroll before travelling further. Public parking at the back, nice breakfast and good size room and comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Good location, near the city center and the river, large...

Old dated furnished rooms and bathrooms, lack of diversity at breakfast, no fridge in the room, no toileteries, no slippers. The parking costs 4,5€/ calendaristic day, not per 24h, so one has to pay for the entire day even if parks the car late in the evening.

Good location, near the city center and the river, large beds, good parking location, under the hotel.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

A delightful city break enhanced by a good hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Access to the hotel by car is difficult at the moment due to roadworks immediately in front of the hotel

A well run hotel which was perfectly located for a short stay.

We got the room with a river view, which we requested.
    • Executive Business Double Room

We booked the room executive business type from how it looked in the picture with 2 queen beds. But we got the room completely different from the picture with one double bed. The room looked old with the old style of decoration. We saw big spider web at the ceiling too.

We got the room with a river view, which we requested. That was very nice. Breakfast was very good with variety of food.

Relaxing start to a cycling holiday along the Danube path
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Stayed here with friends, as it was very close to Passau railway station, where we were arriving. It also had facilities to store bikes, which we were using to cycle along the Danube path. Quiet, despite being near road and railway; extensive breakfast with everything you could want.

The location close to city centre
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We paid for a family room (2 parents and 2 children) and got a double room with 2 single beds. We had to ask for towels, pillows, blankets and slept in very small beds! The carpet was wet and not very clean. The hotel is old and should be refurbished

The location close to city centre The night staff very helpful to try to solve the issue we had

This is not our first time stay in this hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

This is not our first time stay in this hotel. It is located just near Train Station and few minutes walk from Danube River (we arrived by boat from Linz). Good breakfast. Fine rooms and everything. Near by is also the modern shopping centre where one can buy necessities for the next leg of the trip (like the bottle of good wine in our case). We definitely are recommending this hotel for travellers. We will stay here again when we are passing Passau along our travel paths.

Very disappointing.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

(1) The hotel is in a major building site (July 2018) - loud construction noise all day from 07.30hrs. No prior warning was given about the construction when we booked. The development work involved heavy road machinery, drilling, construction traffic etc. Despite discussing the noise with hotel staff, no attempt was made at a solution. At check-out we were offered a 20% discount which was totally inadequate - our stay in beautiful Passau had been ruined. (2) The Hotel Restaurant was not open for dinner on three of our four days - not what we expect from a 4 star hotel.

Very good Breakfast Buffet. Very good location in Passau. Very convenient car-parking.

Passau is a great place, I wish we had stayed longer.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was massive. Layout a bit like a motel with linoleum floor. But really nice bathroom and so much space, a big family could have stayed there. Breakfast was fantastic. So much choice. Outside terrace was nice, however, the smoking everywhere spoilt it. Location opposite Rail station was perfect. I expected some noise, but it was really quiet. Passau is a great place, I wish we had stayed longer.

Great location close to the train station and yet quiet
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Maybe because they had room to do so but they gave us an “executive room” which was excellent. The location is very good and so was breakfast. The front desk staff and many of those in thr breakfast room were friendly and helpful.

Central with fantastic facilities.

Nothing it was tremendous

Central with fantastic facilities. The guy at the front desk was the best in the whole trip. Accommodating, helpful with impeccable command of colloquial English

Great location with good amenities
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I did not like the fact that the baggage room was not locked and anyone could go in and out without any checks

Great breakfast at a good price. Evening meal was nice too.

Near the train station... nice stuff ....
    • Executive Business Double Room

We booked one of the best rooms in the hotel , but it was quite disappointing. The room was located next to the main road, so it was loud . The room haven’t been renovated for a long time and you could see almost everywhere the damages and dirt .

The friendly personal who help me with my paperwork.

Disappointed by the lack of internet and indifference of the staff
    • Executive Business Double Room

The internet never worked, when I asked I was advised that I could purchase a premium connection which was neither advertised or worth the charge for an overnight stay.

The breakfast is superb

The extra bed in the room.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The aircon in the room was not working and made my stay at the hotel worse as it became too hot in the room. I did complain at the reception regarding the aircon issue but no one was bothered to look after it.

The extra bed in the room.

The room we stayed in was a bit worn out but very big, with...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room we stayed in was a bit worn out but very big, with a lovely view on the Danube. Perfect stay with pets. There were better kept rooms but smaller. In overall, I was happy to be in a bigger room with an entrance (which leads to another room, to extend it to a suite)

Very central. Good for some days
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel and rooms a bit old fashioned. Old air conditioning. Old tube Tv. Some of the Staff are not very attentively and invitingly. Value for money is ok but could be better.

Very central - next to the train station and closed to the centre. Big and tasty breakfast (until 11am). The room was clean and had enough storage options. Wellness area was ok. Room with view to the danube was nice and with closed windows quite calm.

It`s a very good hotel with perfect location and comfortable...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It`s a very good hotel with perfect location and comfortable parking. Everything was great about our staying there. They serve a big amount of unbelievably delicious food for the buffet breakfast! We would like to come back to beautiful Passau again one day because we stayed only for 1 night there which is obviously not enough and we would stay at the same hotel without any doubt.

Ok for a transit stop

The location of the rooms were too far from the entrance which made getting the three dogs and elderly mother in and out

Proximity to center of town. Good breakfast

one quick overnight
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would like to say the front desk staff was not so friendly upon check out. I waited with both the receptionist on the phone and neither of them acknowledged me. I just placed my room key on the counter and left. I think it would be courtesy to at least say she would be with me in a moment. The check in receptionist was nice however.

I really liked the breakfast. The juice was fresh, the croissants were very good and flaky. The view from my room was very nice with a view of the river. The internet was fast and useful.

christmas eve stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would like to say that changing the television to other languages would have been a plus and also the use of the sauna and steam room would have been nice but the facilities were not open during our stay.

The breakfast was delicious with many options of juice, pastries and cheese and meats. The coffee was fresh and good.

close to the center, big room with large beds, very good...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

old room equipment, old-fashioned bathroom, shower with not very good waterflow, old TV

close to the center, big room with large beds, very good breakfast (till 11 am in the weekends, perfect), check-out till 12 am :)

3.0
    Expensive but disappointed
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

On booking.com say car parking free but is NOT FREE , you must to pay becouse they said the parking is not theirs Because of the room's furniture and carpet the room appears old and sad.

We had a great stay.

none.

excellent location, right across from the train station. A huge high volume hotel. Room was impressively spacious and clean. Breakfast was excellent.

Good hotel for the value. Don't forget to ask for a room with backyard view to it, it's quiet there!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The carpet in the room was not clean looking and seemed like it was very old with stains. Internet connection was free but the strength was not good. We had to reconnect every time we came back to room as it didn't connect automatically.

It's proximity to railway station and the city center. The breakfast had good variety to it and breakfast room was spacious. Room was spacious and the beds were quite big and nice. It was peaceful for us as we had our room towards the backyard. The staff's response to queries was very quick. Like it.

Greeat for a short stay.
    • Standard Single Room

Restaurant in hotel was closed. After long driving, would have liked to get dinner in the hotel.

Room was fine. No noise in the room from railway across the street. Breakfast was ok. Reception was professional and helpful.

Beautiful art, delicious food, comfortable room
    • Executive Business Double Room

Front desk staff quality was uneven: some knew everything and were cheerful and helpful. Others were less sure, less cheerful.

Very big and delicious breakfast buffet in a room overlooking the river and the hills. Generous executive room. Silent. Beautiful original art on the walls. Train station and tourist information right out the door.

Great location, very good breakfast, fair price.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel has seen better times but there id nothing special to report.

Good location in the main shopping street and right across from the station. Wellness and pool looked fine, too. Very good breakfast with variety of food choices.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking confusing and staff did not explain it well. We were told the restaurant would be open after a concert, but we return to the hotel and it was not. Had to go back out through the rain to find a restaurant back in the city center.

Practical but not pleasant.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I spoke to the receptionists on three occasions and found them each time to be miserable, unfriendly and unwilling to be helpful. On one occasion, having read in the information in my room about hiring a bike, I asked at reception, only to be told very bluntly that they don't have bikes to hire, and "Alles in Ordnung" with a downward intonation: "So that's that settled". She clearly didn't want to advise me on where I could go for a bike, and so I left it there. Perhaps the receptionists should read the information provided to guests?

Decent hotel for practical purposes. Conveniently near the station.

Not very much exciting
    • Executive Business Double Room

Air-conditioner was not working and they did not fix it for 6 days !!!! Every day I called the reception and they have acknowledged, but did not fix it during my whole stay.

Close to train station.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very busy reception, you could hardly find a slot to talk to someone there. Very small pool. Horrible pillows.

Close to train station. Storage room for bicycles. Close to shopping mall and other shops. Nice parking. Built myself an almost acceptable pillow using the regular pillow plus another pillow available in the hotel self-service cabinet on the hallway.

Great big spacey room!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Free parkingspace would be appreciated, plus sattelite tv was poor, fell down quite a lot.

Great big spacey room! Good bathroom, great location near citycentre and trainstation!

Overall would recommend, but take a fan in the summer as gets very hot and air con useless.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very old CRT TV, unable to connect computer to watch videos and no English channels. Air conditioning didn't work, very hot. Very bizarre, but no stairs to second floor, had to use ifts, which meant long unnecessary waits. Fridge in the room locked closed. Parking hard to find and rather expensive given the room prices.

Great breakfast, large breakfast room with outdoor seating as well. Excellent location, just over the road from the station and very close to the city centre. Great to have a pool, although it was a little small. We had two large beds, also nice, and very spacious room. Also apart from kids running up and down the corridors, nice and quiet.

Functional room, typical of a modern hotel, it means well...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Twelve euros for a breakfast finally rather ordinary -common bread, only bananas, fat salads- is undoubtedly too much. Another consideration: the welcome luggage room may be opened by anyone. As the reception desk is fifteen meters away, people less or more always moving in the lobby and clients less or more anonymous, all of this making difficult an efficient watching, it might be easy to be stolen...

Functional room, typical of a modern hotel, it means well equipped but without any special atmosphere.

River view proximity of rail station
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms need renovation. No minibar safe and coffe/tea facilities. Bathroom marbles are dirty and broken.liquid Soap dispenser is installed on the mirror not the wall.bed matrice were not hard enough.the room fee 89 euro is quite expensive for such poor facilities.

River view proximity of rail station

reasonable hotel to stay in Passau

Not really

The hotel is in front of main station. You may use public parking of main station, which provide you space for hotel guest. It takes 20 min for you to walk to the church and 10 min more to 3-river spot.

Passau stopover
    • Executive Business Double Room

You needed to keep the windows closed at night because of traffic noise.

Good location within easy walking distance of old city. Car parking underground below hotel with lift to reception. Also opposite train station. Spent a pleasant half hour in the swimming pool. One of the best breakfast selections that we had on this holiday plus they have a terrace area so there is also the chance to eat outside if the weather is good.

So very close to the centre, best breakfast you could have,...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The parking,,of course the reception girl didn.t how to explain..witch is the hotel's parking, and we ended up carrying the lugajes trough the street..wich it.s not ok at all.The beds ae very hard.

So very close to the centre, best breakfast you could have, very much variety.The beds are very big. The airconditioning works ok, it.s clean.

Easy Passau stopover before cruise
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No mini fridge or coffee facilities in room

Breakfast was lovely, you could sit outside in a courtyard. Staff were very helpful. Close to train station and easy walk to old town.

• Standard Triple Room

One flight of stairs after the third floor elevator. Otherwise perfect.

Room 340 is a suite with a huge sitting room, bedroom with king-size bed, small twin room and huge bathroom with sauna and whirlpool bath. And air conditioning!!!! Wonderful during the heat wave. Very good breakfast and excellent restaurant. Should be 4 star.

The bed was awful !
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was awful !! Way to soft ( same on pillow not enough stufing ) The hotel has elevator only in one place, and to walk to the room like a 1/4 mile run ! First morning the breakfast was wanderful planty of everything. Second morning very poor selection. Every leftover put together from the day before !!!

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Convenient Budget Style Hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Well I didn't mind too much sorting out the parking, but it is a little unnerving to be told that you can park for a few minutes outside to unload luggage and check-in, when the space outside the hotel has a sign clearly indicating that the parking there is only for disabled people! The next challenge is to remember when you get to the garage that has two entrances which one you were told to use. One is for the hotel guests and the other is for the railway station users. But the most disconcerting part of my stay was the Hotel Information manual signed off by the Hotel's Director, Christian Bonk. The manual, with a warm and wonderful welcome from Herr Bonk, contained several errors. It referred to a fee of 5 euros per day for Wifi access. "Nein, Herr Bonk, it's free!" I checked with the desk and with a wise smirk they assured me that there was no charge, despite what was written in the manual. The issue proved to be a rhetorical one anyway as my phone which picked up WiFi elsewhere in the city could not connect to the hotel's system. The hotel staff also tried to connect for me, but with no luck. I notice the hotel is now stating that 'Guests can use the hotel's internet terminals for free.' So they must have now given up on trying to get access from other parts of the building. The manual also states that guests have the option of securing valuables by using the safe in your room or the safe at the reception desk."Nein, Herr Bonk, there is not a safe in every room, including room 273!"

To be honest, I'd camp in the forest just to be anywhere near Passau. But not everyone is going to be as relaxed with their first impression of the IBB Hotel Passau City Centre - The exterior is exceptionally drab. Also it's not really the City Centre, but the Old Town is a fairly short walk away and so are shops and dining venues. The hotel is across the road from the bus and rail hub for Passau so it's ideal for backpackers or for travellers wanting to unburden themselves of their luggage quickly, without far to walk from their train or bus stop. For people arriving by car, there's underground parking just down and around the corner if you're good at following directions. The room we got (273) was spacious and there is a basic supermarket on the same level as the front desk. The old Grundig TV was a nice relic of old technology, but adequate for our needs.The staff at reception are friendly and helpful - they need to be, considering the confusing information contained in the room Information Guide to the hotel. So the choice is obvious. If you are prepared to pay more for style, comfort and views, go elsewhere. However, if you just want the basics and are happy to stroll a little to see the amazing city that you've arrived in, it could be just fine.

IBB PASSAU - For a good sleep
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The internet connection has flaws and at this time and age, one should not pass through the password and identification process.

Large room, clean, and pretty comfortable.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

A nice hotel at a good place, good value for the money.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The pillows were a bit uncomfortable, small and too soft. Maybe can request bigger pillows, but we did not tried. Old CRT TV :) The drink vending machine did not worked (at least on 3rd floor)

The location is perfect. Breakfast was OK.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Good transit hotel but staff and wifi both need training in customer care
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Wi if was toatally inadequate and kept failing, this made contacting my work through internet impossible, wifi was the only reason I booked it

Proximity to city centre

We will book again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Too soft beds. Parking fee is calculated in cycles 2am-2pm so if you stay as hotel guest, you pay 2 cycles oer day - instead of 4EUR > 8 EUR.

Clean and quiet hotel with great location and excellent breakfasts. Cleaning service every day.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Warmly recommend!!! 10/10
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The price was very very low. I got a double bed room. The beds were big! The room was clean. No credit card needed, the check in and check out was fast! Everything was perfect!

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Convenient hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

WiFi didn't work for us despite a little help at the desk. Staff need to be trained in giving assistance with WiFi. Had no problems in any other hotel in Europe. Bed bases and carpet stained. Room 250. Old TV. Fridge now non-existent.

Didn't do breakfast but supermarket next door was handy. Hotel in good position and very handy to station. Great views over the river from our room.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Satisfied
    • Standard Single Room

I travelled with my dog and there were bowls, treats and a mat prepared for her. Also the proximity of the train station as I had to catch the train early in the morning.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Best hotel to stay comfortable in Passau
    • Standard Single Room

It was a very pleasant time. The staff was very kind and tried always to help. The rooms are very large, the bathroom includes a very comfortable bathtube, and for breakfast I could choose from a wide range of food - both regional and international. Well done! See you again there :-)

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Swiming pool, breakfast, nice staff, location, price.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Non-smoking rooms smelled cigarette smoke, curtains and drapes need clean, for non-smokers very uncomfortable.

Swiming pool, breakfast, nice staff, location, price.

Terrible stay!
    • Standard Triple Room

The hotel facilities definitely need modernization. It's like coming to a house of your grand-parents but for the price of the modern hotel. When we asked to change our room, the other one was no better. During the night drunk people were running and screaming in the hotel corridor. At 5 a.m. someone started knocking violently at our door. Poor value for money!

Location close to the city center

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay which included breakfast and that we could make early morning tea.

The fact that the left luggage room was not locked.

Overal, we were generally impressed with the IBB hotel.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

It was nice journey to the place were Danube river is beginning.

Great Hotel location and transport connection.Train station and Bus station terminal in close distance.Beautiful city.Amazing Danube river cruise.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Great location and great value for me :)
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Great location and great value for me :)

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Noisy street and very noisy neighbors

Noisy street and very noisy neighbors

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Chain hotel, good for an overnight stay

Pet friendly

Nice! Great breakfast!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Fantastic breakfast selection, best of our trip! For a standard chain hotel was better than expected.

Location very good - right near Railway Station, only stayed...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Location very good - right near Railway Station, only stayed for one night - the rooms were huge, bit dated - bed great.

Good location close to train station and downtown

No air conditioning

Good location close to train station and downtown

Good breakfast and comfort bed

Good breakfast and comfort bed

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Was to short the stay

I didn’t have nothing to tell

The variety of food at breakfast and the hotel is tidy and clean.