Reviews of Hotel Friedrichshain 3 stars

#470 of 579 hotels in Berlin

Based on 1947 hostel reviews

6.2

• Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

The Wi-Fi was alwful, I had to try whole night to get connected to it. There wasn't an air conditioner in the room, so we had to leave the windows opened which didn't really help. In the area around the hotel you can see a lot of homeless people, but what is good is that they don't do or try to do anything.

The room was great, we were able to see the TV tower from here. The staff was friendly and helpful. There are a lot of places from where you can buy food or cosmetics. Also the subway station and the tram stations are close. If you want, you can buy breakfast in the hotel.

The hotel was brilliant! Everyone was so helpful and our room was great!!! After check out we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel so we could enjoy the concert we attended without worries!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

noisy patrons up to 12 pm / lots of work noise at 4:30am / no possibility to cool down other than open windows / felt dirty and dilapidated /

friendly staff / small, but cozy room / free wi-fi /

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

This is really a budget place. Cleanliness is only ok. In summer it gets really warm in the rooms, warmer than outside, and when you open the window It's usually loud, so bring your earplugs. The staff were friendly enough to lend me a fan, but it wasn't available the first two days. The breakfast is not worth 8€. The mattresses are old and not that comfortable either. It was almost half the price of other 1-room hotels when i booked it, but for a reason!

The place is very close to Warschauer Straße station, from which you can easily go to Berlin's main spots (it takes around 20mins).

• Standard Single Room

Biggest drawback is that there is no kettle in the room and no way to get hot water outside of breakfast. Annoying that the wifi had to be logged into each time one came back to the hotel from a trip, but it was straightforward and free.

Its a good location with a supermarket immediately opposite. Breakfast is extra but at 8 Euros, good value for money. Accommodation is basic but clean and comfortable.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

i usually stay at hostels and thought i wanted to upgrade from that to a hotel. i realized when i came that its both hostel and hotel. we had a room with shared bathroom, we shared with one other customer. But he was staying there long term. he was no fun. complaining, pedant and he never saw me but called me stupid girl through the door. the personal seemed to be very bored. felt more angry than happy. i have been to better places. but the location and cleanliness was good

It was very Close to the festival and bars i go to.

• Standard Single Room

Beds were exceptionally firm, the area around the hotel is quite rough.

Very clean and smart hotel, with good access to the u and s bahn in an interesting area

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Extremely basic, thin walls and noisy rampant neighbors. No privacy at all for shared shower, not helpful with pervy pensioner. Bed gave me my first ever bad back.

Excellent location short walk to transport links, excellent places to eat on your doorstep with a few vegan places too. Very cosmopolitan area but still feels very safe.

breakfast: really boring, cheap groceries, only had it ones. 8€ waisted. If that is the standard, set the price accordingly to below 4€. Instead of disappointing the customer. One really negative thing is when using the VISA-card to pay. Asking a customer if he wants to use the ”service” to pay in one own currency. If an unknowing tourist does this that will cost him like 10% extra. And it doesn't make him a happy guest. Think of that. And stop offering customers this ”service” or inform them how much it cost extra.

free umbrellas, friendly smile at the desk,

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

There were problems checking in. The hostel didn't seem to have a note of our two room bookings, only one room and said they only had one room available. I proved our two rooms with our email booking receipt. They sorted this out by offering one of us a larger room. Later on however, one of the receptionists approached us about a bizarre situation. He explained that because of their mistake they were now fully booked and they had other guests who now didn't have a room. It could have been due to a language barrier as we didn't understand what he was asking us at first, but eventually we understood that he was asking us if we would mind sharing our room/bed with the guests who were without a room. I was not at all comfortable with sharing the room with male strangers and so declined - he then said in that case they'd have to charge us extra. Of course we were not happy with this as these mistakes are entirely due to the hostel and not our fault at all. Throughout this exchange the staff member was incredibly rude and implied that we were being difficult. It was a horrible exchange and handled really badly by the receptionist, and made the rest of the stay very uncomfortable. In addition to this, the upgraded room bathroom wasn't as clean as we'd like, and there was a real problem with the shower drain - it seemed to be blocked so having a shower meant the bathroom would flood.

The location was good for us. The bed was comfy and the room was spacious, it was upgraded due to a mistake with the hotel's booking. Unfortunately this led to problems, see above.

• Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

We could not stay longer.

What was a big plus for us was the location as we went to the festival just around the corner. Staff (ALL of them) was extremely friendly and helpfull!

• Standard Single Room

Some rooms with small square bath tub with curtains .instead they would have put glass curtains

Central location and nice staff . Quite inside hotel and nice access outside hotel.

Bed was so unconfortable. I booked room for two people with Queen-size bed, but there were an two beds pushed togheter and one extra bed and room wasn't cozy. There were no carpet on the floor. It also taked me two hours to get in the room!

Various first impressions from the outside. Disgraceful state of the matress and pillows. Sunlight coming through the curtains. Poor decor and overall cleanliness. That there was no mention of it being a hostel online. Online pictures are false.

Helpful and friendly staff.

• Standard Single Room

The Italian guy at the front desk was particularly nice. Checking in earlier was also great considering the weather outside. Good for a one night stay.

Great location, close to the very best places in Berlin - from the Berlin wall to the clubs. Very clean and quiet hotel with nice & helpful staff, pretty awesome for people travelling on a budget. Great surroundings, amazing value for money. Definitely recommend.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I got this time at this hotel a single room at the 5.floor (just below the roof). It was not that warm. The light switch of my room was strangely located out of it!?, i.e., on the corridor side. The check-in took quite a while (40´) because the room was not ready.

The hotel´s position is pretty good. The price is not that bad as well.

• Standard Single Room

It would have been helpful if I was informed that the location was under construction upgrades, noisy. The information book in the room stated that the Low season for my room was 30 euro and 40 euro during the high season, I paid 72 euro per day. The website was misleading regarding the room accommodation, Booking.com has obviously never been to this hotel to vet. The TV. Channels did not match the in-room information book provided. The in-room book also said that they had an iron service for my clothes with an extra charge, they do not have this service. I will no longer use a booking service moving forward.

Some of the staff was helpful in understanding the area.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I don't mind staying in a humble accommodation, but this time the room was too expensive for what it was - especially when building works going on on site. I had the room 57, on the 5th floor. It was nice to have a room my own and I didn't mind sharing the shower room and the toilet. However - the floors were really dusty in the corridors, because of the builders. First morning I woke up to the noise of loud drilling - it was before 8 am in the morning. There was a big hole in a wall under my bed ( wiring) - I could hear everything from next door - you could see through it. The light switch was outside the door - so people kept turning the light on and off thinking it was a corridor light. The window blind was stuck. No coat hanging hooks.

The location is great. Nice customers - everybody doing their own business. No nonsense basic room. Clean shower room.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It was a bit awkward to share a bath room with a male. I hope the hotel would make an effort to book rooms with the same sex guests.

It was a exceptionally cold week - I would have like to have an extra duvet.

The shower was rather small & had a curtain round it so water escaped on to the floor

A decent sized room with ensuite , our room was at the back so relatively quiet the bed was also comfortable , a clean hotel and really friendly staff

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I couldn't pay with a card which was totally unexpected and hotel couldn't fox this problem during 3 days!!!

For some reason there was no information about my booking at the reception but hotel stuff was really nice and kind to find a good room for me and I really appreciate it!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The breakfast time is over my expection. It starts from 6:30 AM which is nice for me take it. The room size and the light is much comfortable, compared with others.

The bathroom smelt a little bit sulphurous but a very minor issue

Large room for the money spent, great bed (very comfy) and a brilliant location on Warschauer Straße

The double bed that we booked was 2 singles pushed together with a big hard wooden plank right down the middle. No toiletries were provided despite it saying on booking they they were. We over paid the front desk by 50 euros by mistake and the girl at reception was fully aware we had done so but chose to take the money and say nothing. 10 mins after arrival when we realised what had happened we went back to ask and at first she tried to say we didn't then suddenly when we asked her to check the camera it was suddenly 'Oh yes there was another 50 extra' so we got it back in the end but she was obviously trying to keep it for herself. The decor was poor but the place was clean and quiet.

Good location, clean and quiet.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The hallway so was a bit dull, and it would have been better if there where English channels.

The bed was super comfy, looking outside my window I had a really beautiful view of the ther flats.

The staff were rude and accused me of not paying for my stay, even though it was entirely paid for through booking.com. The shower was blocked and when it finally drained left a bad smell. There were holes in the ceilings in common areas and the pictures on the wall were just frames without pictures in them.

The beds were really comfortable and it was a good location.

• Standard Single Room

There were noises from outside for some reason and they were really really loud!! I think some one at some point was drilling something??? It was crazy. But the noises didn’t last long so it’s ok.

• Quadruple Room with Shower

The floors could have been cleaner and the pillows could have been better.

The quadruple room was really spacious with large windows and its bathroom had a great size. Very warm room and we had hot water at any time. The location of the hotel is excellent and the price is totally a bargain.

The design of the hotel is a bit weird (ugly).

The rooms was quite spacious (bigger than what I expected for this price) and clean. Great price to value ratio. Good location. The breakfast was great, much better than what I expected for 8 EUR.

Shower is a bit strange. Shower curtain is very close your body, water a bit splashes on the floor.

Very good location. Very good transportation. Price. Large room. A lot of bars and breakfast places around.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Stayed here on numerous occasions now and always pleased with the service. Rooms are brilliant, had ones with shared bathrooms and our own bathrooms and both are fantastic! Will always recommend.

Room 103- very poor sound insualtion when considering sited next to lift access/entrance to floor. Door to corridor requires a slow self closer, as was awoken by early morning or late night users by banging door. Sign is ineffective. Bed too low and knackered- uncomfortable and creaky shower set up caused flooded floor. Noisy pumped water system to wc and shower etc Laminate floor makes easy cleaning but make for noisy room for user damaged door and walls

Location to surrounding area and my reason for being in Berlin

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The heating gets turned down at night, and it was way too cold in the morning!

Friendly and relaxed staff, good Wifi, fast check-in, very fast check-out, great price.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Do not book this hotel ! They have totally ripped me off ! 3 days after our stay, they informed me that they charged me 150 euros because according to them I used the floor, the bed and the dustbin as toilets !! Of course it is false. I contacted them, they had no proofs, no photos and it was impossible to block the debiting. They found the perfect way to make you pay twice the price of the room, and it is impossible to stop them. So avoid this hotel, no matter what !

Do not book this hotel ! They totally ripped me off. 3 days after our stay, the hotel informed me that they've just charged me 150 euros because according to the room service I used the floor, the bed and the dustbin as toilets ! Of course, it was false, I contacted them, they had no proofs, no pictures and it was impossible for me to block the debiting. They have found the perfect method to take you twice the price of the room, so avoid this hotel no matter what !

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It´s as basic as basic can be. It is just a room with bunk bed, nothing else. Calling that a hotel might be an overstatement but if that is enough for you then it is. Shared bathrooms have no privacy at all.

The location is fantastic. Tram M10 stops right in front of the hotel, S+U Warschauer strasse is 100m walk. Grocery store just across the street and all the amusements of Friedrichshain around. There is a bar in the lobby.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

bit outdated, bed was noisy and pillow to fluffy.

Excellent location next to subway and S bahn. Excellent quality/price ratio for a single room Nice staff

• Standard Single Room

Beds are really comfortable, the room clean and spacious. Wifi works well. Staff is very polite and helpful. Big adventage is being close to public transport and different atractions. Many shops and places to eat nearby. Overall, a great stay.

The bathroom was a little oldish. The elevator was slow, we sometimes had a feeling that we were stucked between two floors. We nearly run out of air in the mornings, even the windows were opened.

The staff was very helpful. Everything was clean and the wall paintings were nice. Breakfast was also tasty.

• Standard Single Room

To start with, the staff from night shift did not speak english, so it was a little difficult to do my check in. Getting to the room was easy and the room was ok, but not really what i would call "new" - some parts of the wall falling, and the bed is a thick mattress on a concrete block, the shower has a plastic curtain that sticks to you since the bath area is not big enough. Plus to that, the place is very noisy - doors slamming all night long. The neighborhood is not that nice, as well. As you leave the subway, people on the streets offering drugs, and some guys even trying to talk to you in a very inappropriate way - to be honest, i felt very insecure walking around alone at night.

The place is ok - very close to public transportation.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Wifi didnt work in the single room on 4th floor. Staff was very friendly and helped me to print out a boarding pass. Recommended to stay there. Very central location

A hundred Euro per night for basically nothing in an area that is unpleasant. The only hotel during my one week trip through Germany that used a shower curtain (Dirty/filthy) instead of a shower cabin. When asking for an extra room key we were told we can have one for an extra €15. Seriously, the €100 per night was already expensive for this crap hotel. The room had two beds, a desk and a bathroom, that was it. No fridge, no coffee or tea or even percolator to make your own. Normally get that and more for a room at half the price.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Wifi didn't work in my room

Close to transportation especially only 6 stops to Main Tain Station! Great area of restaurants and grocery stores at reasonable prices. Only 10 minute walk to the last remains of the Berlin Wall with many paintings. Always felt safe more a genterfied area

• Quadruple Room

Quite basic, no fridge or amazing extras. Need to use public transport to get to the centre.

Nice size room and good shower with one vey comfortable bed. Location was good for clubs but not great for city centre

The pictures on the website do not match the real place. Bedrooms are horrible. Spacious but old. Looks more like a cheap hostel rather than any type of hotel. Views are discouraging. Pillows were not real pillows. They were some sort of folded blanket inside of a pillow case. The shower is ridiculous. There's no way of preventing the water to fill the whole bathroom floor while you get a shower. I could go on forever but the very WORST was the fact that our room was next to the laundry room and they decided to put the washing machines to work at 01:00 in the morning :( The bed is right next to the wall with the machines so not only the sound is really loud but the wall and therefore the bed vibrates the whole time. We complained and the noise stopped from 04:30 til 08:00 in the morning, when they decided to put the machines to work again. We complained again and they literally told me that i had to understand that they need to wash towels and sheets in order to change them the next day. First time a give a bad review to a hotel/hostel but this one really deserves it.

Is quite close to the metro station, bus and tram stops. There were 3 different receptionist during our stay. Two were rude and very unhelpful, only one called Juan was very nice and tried to help as much as he could, though we only met him when checking out.

Although booking.com list this as "Hotel Friedrichshain" it is actually the Hotel & Hostel Friedrichshain. The "hotel rooms" are just a private hostel quality room with the worst pillows I have ever slept on. Emailed a week prior to organise early check in and never got a response. Staff were indifferent to our presence and when we asked them to call us a taxi they couldn't because their phone was broken. If I had booked a hostel I would have considered it adequate but they are definitely not a hotel.

Decent location.

There was mould in the bathroom above the shower - not just a bit! We didn't feel to good when taking a shower. There was no hot water the first day (although it was said that it will be turned on 21.30h). Staff tried to help but they couldn't really do anything - there was construction work. But they didn't check at 21.30 either. Plus there was construction work on the tube line leading to the hotel so it was quite complex to go to the city centre.

Staff was very friendly, 24 h reception, could deposit our luggage twice. Room quite clean and nicely decorated in a pleasant style. We booked the hotel with a special discount - so it was ok what we paid and what we got but for the normal price I would have complained.

This hotel was not a pleasant experience. First they do not have a luggage room, they store your luggage in some kind of manager's room but we were glad at least we could drop them off. When we got our rooms we were shocked because the room was not even close to booking photos. It was all old furniture, not clean, walls were falling apart etc. and guess what? They gave us a disabled room which we didn't ask. So toilet was higher, shower didn't have cabinets and only had a curtain. So if you shower once, all bathroom room would be all wet. And it had mold everywhere in the shower. So when we saw this we immediately went to reception to leave the hotel next morning they were aggreed (only positive thing about this hotel). And we had to call booking just in case. But when booking called the hotel for clarification, they didn't answer so we had to go to reception again. But she said "she is about to leave soon so she cannot answer Booking" when we insisted she called them back and it was all done. At 8 am someone was knocking our door like crazy and we woke up in a panic. But guess what? Another guests( probably high or drunk) were saying they have an headache and need medication!!?!?! (I can understand it wasn't hotels fault but we were so irritated by this) When we were checking out, another girl in the reception was so rude. She said she heard that we didn't like the room. And i explained her and showed her the pictures in Booking website that room is not even close. She said what do we expect beacuse all hotels post over there old pictures and 1 kind of "triple room". So we can only get what is in our luck. As i explained her i almost always stay in hostels and never had a problem like this and this is not even a hostel. She also said "i hope you can find a room that you like" , as i said we already found it. So do not stay in this hotel if you want a pleasant time in Berlin.

They were okay for us to leave earlier than we book.

• Standard Single Room

I asked for late check out which I was told would be free until 1pm, at 12.55 I checked out and a different staff member tried to make me pay 20 euros saying 12 was the late check out time. This was unfair as I'd been told 1pm. The staff member became aggressive and would not listen to me. It was a difficult and disappointing situation.

-no fridge in room was a bit annoying - cleaning service wasn't great, we understand we where 3 quite untidy girls getting ready for nights out but friends bed was made over a couple of things she'd left on her bed, could have put them on the sofa and then made the bed, or just not made it.

Room was huge for the price, 3 single beds a sofa a desk and loads of space for 3 girls to have their suitcases wide open on the floor and still loads of room. Great place if you're young and couldn't find a good hostel as its right beside some of the best clubs in Berlin and transport was just a couple minutes walk. - transport -room size -staff where lovely -decent sized supermarket across the road -lovely area for young people- wouldn't recommend it for older people who don't enjoy clubs as there is a lot around the place, ideal for backpackers looking for a bit more comfort for the same price as a bed in a hostel. -room size was amazing

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It is a bit industrial and rough, with graffiti on the walls of the ground floor bathroom. I personally could really appreciate this edgy style.

It's location is perfect if your intention is to explore the nightlife of Berlin with clubs such as Berghain and Watergate in comfortable walking distance. Rooms are clean and spacious.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Great location for a group of young adults. Right in the middle of most of the best clubs in Berlin and near lots of cool food places. Great facilities for the relatively low price.

The front desk staff were unhelpful and rude and didnt speak english I would definitely not stay there again when considering that for the same money I could have stayed in the Savoy. Much more a hostel than hotel I think.

Was in a good location and the room was clean

It was a little noisy but that was others who were staying there not a fault of the hotel. The tv was as my daughter called it 'a dinosaur' but we weren't there to watch TV so it didn't matter to us. The surrounding area had shops etc but some may find some of the people that hang about a little intimidating as they ask for money etc but we were unaffected and had a pleasant stay.

It was handy to the train station, large room, staff were helpful as we arrived early they looked after our luggage and the cleaning lady was very friendly and helpful too. The wifi worked in our room eventhough on other reviews it was said that it didn't but you need to login in the reception area first.

• Standard Single Room

It was very dirty and in a very bad place. The bad was not clean and the room was very small without refrigerator!!!!!! also, there are a lot of pepple near the hotel that make the place very danger for family and also alone.

The staff was good person

• Standard Single Room

It is ok for a night if you need to be in the area and you do not want to spend too much. Single rooms might be the step children in the hotel, saw a double room which looked much better than my single room..... Room smelled, the shower is one of those where you have to decide if you want the curtain sticking to your body while having the shower or flood the bathroom. Instead of a bath matt, they offered a towel to step on....the towel looked exactly the same as the one you dry yourself with ...uhhhh...

The breakfast is a rather large buffet with all you wish for (eggs, fruits, sausages, veggies, fresh bread, cereals, etc.) and not expensive. No Espresso though ;-)

Only thing I disliked was the interior design as the way upstairs and hallway looked a little outdated, but besides that everything was fine.

Very nice staff, comfortable stay overall, decent location with basic restaurants and supermarkets near.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Booked a 'double room' and was given one single bed, then when I notified staff I was given keys to a twin room with two single beds for me and my wife. We're pretty laid back so we didn't say anything, but that wasn't very good. The room was warm, but it was a warm few days in Berlin - better ait conditioning would be nice though. The curtains allowed all the light in which meant we were waking earlier than we'd of liked.

Good location, bed was fairly comfortable, staff were pleasant.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Fifth floor rooms (3-4 persons with shared bathroom) were quite hot in sunny days, some of those lacked window curtains.

We travelled in group of 20 people. All rooms were good and big. Hostel is well located: market, bakeries, many restaurants, tram and s-bahn stops near. Wifi worked in rooms.

• Standard Single Room

Some guests were very noisy during the night so I could not sleep well, the bed was a little short for me.

Good position, close and well-connected to the city centre. Clean room. Kind staff

We stayed for 3 nights and room was not cleaned for the duration of the stay. I come to Berlin often as I love the city and the people, but I found this to be unacceptable. Probably won't stay here again.

Location is excellent. Close to S & U-bahn and to trams. Surrounded by lots of great restaurants and bars.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No sound-proofing. We can hear almost everything from the neighboor chambers and even from the shared-bathroom.

Nice location and facilities. Friendly staff. Very nice prices.

Check in time is from 15.00 but my room was not ready at 15.00 :(

The hotel is situated in the center of the city. This is a basic hotel. Warschauer Strasse is so eclectic and special.

• Standard Single Room

minor issue - curtains very thin and didn't quite cover whole window

Really great hotel/hostel. Stayed in a single room with high ceiling and plenty of space. great location for bars, restaurants and travel throughout Berlin. Staff really good.

• Standard Single Room

Economy class hotel. Staff was very friendly. Room simple, but ok. Very good and safe parking. Good place to stay who want to visit Berghain or other places in Ostbahnhof area...

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

I would advise anyone not to stay in this hotel. It is infested with bugs. They should have refunded my stay which they didn't as my body was filled with red welts due to the bites I got. Even though I complained they didn't do anything. I had to cut my stay short and go looking for another place. The health authorities should be notified re this so called three star hotel.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Sparse, cold, unfriendly, utilitarian rooms. Grubby bathroom flow. No tea or coffee in room. Tiny CRT. Hard bed, enormous pillows.

If I had to find something to recommend it may be that it is quite close (10 min walk)to East Side Gallery.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The staff in the night he was not at his station an was unpleasant.

Great location, near public transportation. Great staff in the day, really nice guy.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Small singel room with bathroom where i stayed. Liked the room more bigger.

The people who work there are very kind and helpfull. Thats really what you need when you travel alone.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was very narrow, no curtain on the window and lino floor in corridor and thin walls meant at times it was noisy. As a hostel fine but should therefore be cheaper as it's not really a hotel.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Floor mats in the shared bathroom could have been better. However the bathroom was generally in a good condition.

Great location in the heart of a nice area with lots of bars, pubs, cafés etc. Basic, but good value for money.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Wifi only in the lobby Simple furniture Wooden floor making noise Room was very cold when we arrived. We had to turn the radiator on.

Friendly and helpful staff Public transport, shops, bars, etc. in walking distance. Cleanliness Elevator

The mattress was super soft which I personally don't like. The walls are surprisingly thin for which the noise in the hallway at night can be annoying.

Location was great, breakfast was nice and the room was quite spacious.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

There was not a heat unit in the bathroom.

Good location, next to train stations. Plenty of food choices and 24/6 mini market nearby. Friendly staff and very clean, with every day service.

Browse Hotel Friedrichshain traveller photo gallery