Reviews of Hotel Berg This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Brandenburger Strasse 6, Altstadt-Nord, 50668 Cologne, Germany

#35 of 40 B&Bs and Inns in Cologne

5.9

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Old carpet on the floor, no elevator, small and very hot room at the roof

Helpful and sincere receptionist, late check-in, sink in the room with toiletries, as a presented good tasty water.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The mattress was dipping in the middle but otherwise I have other complaints.

I like how close it was to the station and how quiet the area was. The place was clean and pleasant and Alex was very friendly and nice.

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The reception needs to do better (information, plan of the city...). Beds needs to be changed.

The room was clean. The hotel is near to the train station and monuments

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

- strange smell in the room, maybe bacause of the carpet - very small bathroom - without sound proofing - I've heard my neighbors from the early morning - starvation rations on breakfast

- great location, very close to the Dom - nice room

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

WiFi was terrible and very slow - it could barely handle email. It was 2 single beds pushed together with 2 single duvets and called a double room. Should be a double bed with double duvet.

Simple room and functional. Great location and quiet.

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Terrible beds, the hotel should definitely think about replacing them. Cracking, noisy and the mattress...

Location is great, people are nice, great price for the location.

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

No lift available; our room was on the 3rd floor & we have to carry all the luggage on our own to the room. Also the WiFi signal was very weak. On our floor there was no private bathroom; only a single shared bathroom to be used by all the guests staying on that floor. Not worth value for money.

Location and reception staff.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Not a problem for me, but there is no lift in the property, so if you have mobility issues you might want to consider that your room may be up three flights of stairs. Also the WiFi on the top floor is a bit temperamental as the signal isn't great - on the ground floor it's super fast and stable though.

I've now stayed a second time at Hotel Berg and this time chose a room with a shared bathroom. It's still one of my favourite hotels in Cologne. The rooms are nice and clean, as are the shared facilities. The owners/staff are incredibly welcoming and nice, and the location is perfect, within less than 5 minutes walk from Central Station. Will happily return next time I'm in Cologne.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff indicated payment was cash only below 100€. Very surprising. Eventually card payment was accepted. Shared bathroom :(.

Convenient central location.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom is outside the room, but that's fine.

The reception was open until very late at night. Some hotel in the area did not propose this service.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

A very straightforward hotel at budget price. Nothing I didn't need and I found the single bed comfortable. Friendly staff. The location is minutes from the Hauptbahnhof and the centre of the city but it was quiet nonetheless.

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Creaky bed. A smoker had been in the room previously. Nasty remarks (which did not match our experience) written in the booklet for guests left in the room.

The breakfast.

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The door is still locked so the smoker must still ring at the door opening door.

Behind the main railway station. Great staff, nice room changed us. Clean hotel near attractions.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

I was particularly frustrated by the internet connection which kept cutting out and at times totally unusable. When I brought it to the receptionist's attention his only solution was to let me use the breakfast room, which was not great when I wanted to do some R&R last thing of an evening. The towels were like sandpaper and the shared bathroom not very pleasant if had just been used by someone else. For what I paid it was definitely not value for money.

The only thing that I can recommend this hotel for is its location; ideal for the railway station and a short walk to the river and the old town.

The wifi did not work very well in my room most of the time. This was solved by working in the breakfast room downstairs, which had better wifi.

This hotel is very close to the main train station. I was travelling with colleagues staying in other hotels and my hotel was by far the most convenient, very welcome when coming back from dinners late at night. The owners are very friendly and helpful, they allowed me to send a package to the hotel by courier a few days before my arrival.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The owner was so rude an mean and he talked to me in a very bad way . He insulted me with no reason . May be some things about racism I wish I wasn't there

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Close the hotel is the best solution .Poor service and shared bathroom .Credit car is not acceptable when the amount is less than hundred Euros .Rude staff and owner,absolutely no service

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Owner very aggressive, shouting Without any reason! Not helpful. This man have mental issues breaths like a rino while shouting/ talking ! Don't want to answer a question without getting annoyed! Worst hotel experience ever Beds are very hard, noisy. Had back pain in 2 days I slept there. Towels like sandpaper , bath without shampoo, bad foam. Even for free I will not return Pls read other comments /reviews at other web sites! Be warned!! CHOOSE OTHER HOTEL .

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

they could have kept our luggages a little bit longer after check out but it was only possible until 6 pm although the reception is 7/24 open

location is great, the room and the shared bathroom was perfectly clean.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The owner could well have been a lovely, loving man - a good husband who cared for the sick in his free time. Equally, he could have tortured corpses for the pleasure of others. Generally uncommunicative, he seemed just polite enough to appear slightly unnerving. We'd booked a room with a double bed, for instance, and when we found it had two single beds his "No, sorry" when I asked if there was another room we could move to left me in no doubt that this case was closed for good. Basil Fawlty would at least have asked Polly to offer us an apology. The toilet on our floor had one of "those shelves" in it, so we had to use different loos when we went into the city (seriously, have you ever used one of those? - God bless you my son if you have); the room walls were pretty thin, so the guy snoring next door kept my girlfriend awake for an hour; I have a problem with my knee so being put on the third floor with no lift just added to the party-like atmosphere of our stay there; and the shared bathroom stank of cigarettes (as did our bedroom when the people downstairs were smoking). The "non-smoking" option may well just have been there because booking.com required it, we guessed (but obviously we can't say that for sure, because it was impossible to read the mind of the manager, who was enigmatic and came acros as impervious to human interaction). Breakfast was basic, and with nearby cafes offering great value and excellent food you'd think they'd provide more than they did for six euros apiece. But Alex, the guy who worked there in the evenings and greeted us as we arrived, was fabulous and friendly, and made us feel very welcome indeed as much as he could. Well done Alex!

The location was excellent. Literally two minutes' walk from the station (with a glimpse of the cathedral from our bedroom window)

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

For the 1st time in my life I met such a incredibly rude treatment in hotel!!! I knew that check-out time is 11 am, and in that morning I was trying to get access to shower and toilet from 10 am (the room doesn't have private facilities, so I needed to use shared bathroom which is one on each floor). I got access to that at around 10:40 am and after at 11 am I was still in my room making last preparations to leave and make the check-out. At 11:05 there started to sound the ring from loudspeaker just mounted inside the wall next to the rooms door. In 5 minutes the man from reception knocked the door of my room, I opened, he was so angry and said in very unpolite manner that I must be already outside. I said that I understand, but due to waiting for the bathroom I am delaying just few minutes, that I am almost ready. He said very rude that if I am not leaving the room in 5 minutes he will charge me an extra night. OK, in 5 minutes I was already downstairs in reception to check-out and to leave the key, it was 11:15 am. After that I just went to the chair next to reception as I needed to send message via whatsapp using the hotels wi-fi. The man came to me and started to shout that I have to leave the building immediately. I said, that I just need couple of minutes to use wi-fi and I even have right to leave my bag for all day (as my flight was in the evening) but the man from reception said that they are not taking my bag as I don't follow hotel rules and if I am not leaving the building immediately, he will call the police. I was really in shock!!! Police?? For 15 mins delayed check-out?? Really, for the 1st time in my life I met such a rude treatment in hotels! And threatening with the police - this is just NO COMMENTS!! I asked the name of the receptionist and he said he is THE OWNER of that Hotel Berg. Can you imagine that???

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Beds are awful. Really prehistoric beds with an inch-thick mattress. Pillows are as thin as a blanket and blankets are dirty. Room does not create an impression of a clean place. Smell is terrible. Shared bathroom is a mess.. Worst bathroom I've seen.

Расположение.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The boss or the guy who were in the reception.. so unfriendly, yelling at guests... I would highly say NO! To anyone willing to stay in this hotel!

The staff who work at night! And not the boss who's there most of time and in the morning!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

No iron, no hairdryer.

Very clean, comfortable bed, breakfast ok, free parking for bike, central location with easy access to train/bus, close to the Dom and city center. Fair for the price.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The hotel manager or chef was quite rude and therefore made me feel very unwelcome. The hotel itself is old and dirty and does not meet the standards of a room for this expensive price.

There were very kind night concierges. I believe they were from India.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

My bed was not comfortable and I could hear people going to the shared bathroom throughout the night.

Nice Staff and 24h reception. They were kind enough to keep our luggage after the check-out, while we visited the city.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

I have nothing to complain.

On an overnight stay in a friendly, clean and comfortable hotel very near the station and the Dome and the old town, at a very good price; what else could one ask for? Our room was very quiet towards the inside (a very thick door) and the outside (a quiet street). The breakfast was standard and pleasant, the people friendly. Cologne has much to give and I would stay here again on another visit. Free WiFi is a bonus.

Location and quiet

Toilet cleanliness

Location, bed comfort

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The location is very close to Hbf.

Soundproof is terrible

collective wc ...

Very quiet and cheap.

Poor wifi

Very near with station

No breakfast

Bathing room blocked up.

Breakfast and the staff are quite good. And it is really close to the train station, about 3 min.

• Double or Twin Room

Door rattled during the night every time someone came in the front.

Very central location. Friendly staff.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Good position. Everything fine for one night stay. Friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

a super small shower room

clean room and fine reception

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The bed was terrible. The bathroom is really small.

very central and close to central station. Really friendly staff

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The WC is Tiny and Shared, and wi fi conection is slow, weak, and goes out a lot

The staff, friendly, Nice and supportive.

Pocket friendly

Great place, close to central station

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Bath shower suddenly very cold and suddenly very hot! Very Cold in the midnight and cold to wake up,the heating system stopped!

good service

Price

Good place, just 2 mins from the main train station and Cathedral

Staff prepared suggested sites to see and wven prepared the best train schedule to Munich..

• Double or Twin Room

The light from outside needs to be moved because you are not able to sleep also if you close the curtains.

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

The beds are really very uncomfortable

Very good location and very kind staff

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Other thanks location and wifi, nothing else. Too expensive.

• Double or Twin Room

Perfect location, clean, quiet and friendly.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Great hotel, always clean, very kindly workers. Location in the center. Recommended staying in this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

No lift, small old tv hang above cabinet, no telephone in room. Tv images not clear.

Cozy, family run, safe.

• Double or Twin Room

a bit rundown very keen to get paid as soon as I checked in

secure bike storage friendly night porter who also sold beer close to station

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Bed and pillows were not very comfortable.

Location was perfect.

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Friendly and helpful staff.

The bathroom is very small

The staff is very gentle and nice and we can arrive at any time someone is here

Don t have aircondition

Very clean

• Double or Twin Room

Late booking meant paying a huge premium on the room.

Friendly staff and nice continental breakfast

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Cleanliness, bed very uncomfortable, old furniture, price

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

the location is good and breakfast is very good as well

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

A little bit dirty

Nearness to train station

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Hard bed. Not comfortable

Next to the central station. 15 minutes by train to the airport. 2 minutes fron the Dom and other actractions.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

the attidute of one of the staff /boss

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

no parking available, street parking not allowed, police will tax you or pick up your car, very bad...

very central location, good for short stay..

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

No friendly staff

Nice location

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Rate is too high for the size of the rooms. Ovehall it's good.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

We would all agree shared bathroom is evil. It's way worse when not clean.

Convenient location near the train station and the Cathedral.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Bed very hard . It was noisy

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Old and smell bad

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Double Room or Twin room with shared Bathroom

Needs at least a fan in room for hot weather. Towels felt like they we're starched

Very clean, staff helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The owner manning the reception/lobby could have been more polite.

Breakfast was okay

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

Reception staff

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

common toilet

price

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

staff was super unfriendly, especially the owner of the hotel. Didn't greet me and he didn't let my friends enter my room to pick me up at 10am...rooms are very bright and the walls are very thin, which means you get woken up my housekeeping at 7am...

central and clean

• Reviewed: 4 February 2016

Hotel Owner was too rude, very small rooms, Dirty toilets, very poor. Better to book through hotel.com or HRS. it feels like cheated with booking.com

I wish if i could have said anything positive.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2016

The attitude of the hotel owner is horrible. He was shouting at us since we come inside on -10 C.

Then owner is the most unfriendly person that I have ever met. He should be working in mining industry and not in tourism.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2015

the staf was really unpleasant! uncomfortable to talk with them at the reception or ask them for whatever! never more! they saw problem almost in everything! neither our friend could enter just for a chat with us!

breakfast was good, and we also could left our luggage after check out.

There are also 33 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Berg traveller photo gallery