Reviews of Hotel Espenlaub 2 stars

5.2

5.2

5.7

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

1. My bed had small bugs!!!!! i didn'r realized until i left the nex morning when i found that my body had been stinged EVERYWHERE through the night!!! How could they rent a bed like that???? It iches like hell. 2. Bathroom smelled like pee and the floor was allways wet and slippery. 3. WIFI was horrible (like the ones in airports, you have to login like abput every 20 minutes) and the signal was very bad. 4. The windows are directed to the streets and you have no curtains, so people can perfectly see you. I cant recommend this place to go even for a night and even if you are on a budget. DONT GO THERE.

I am actually very upset with my stay in tjis place so i can't think of anything, in exeption of it's cercany to a supermarket and the s-bahn station.

The property is on the main road with a tram line just outside which we thought is good... But we realised the next morning that it is way too noisy and we woke up early even though we wanted to sleep in till late.

The staff was very helpful.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Was one of the worst hotels I have stayed. Very noisy, weird room with a non-functioning sink (feels like it was a bathroom at some point). It wasn’t even possible to close the curtains/blinders, so no privacy. And it was quite costly despite all that.

No hot water in the afternoon, TV was not working in several rooms, Breakfast was in the description but not offered at the hotel. Hotel is quite run down and dated but at least it was clean. Comparing it to a hotel like MotelOne or Ibis, apart of the location you pay way too much for the room.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Honestly from check in to the hotel room had exceeded our expectations for the price we paid. We were minutes away from the center of everything and the room was clean and had a great view. We decided to stay a second night and got a super nice room with a private bathroom for less the cost. The guy at the front desk was so so sweet!!! I will 100 percent recommend.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I made a reservation via booking.com. But while I was on my way to Stuttgart, at the airport, I received an email that the hotel canceled my reservation! Without explanation. It's a very unpleasant experience, when you sit on a plane and go to town, but you do not have a reserved room. When I got to the reception, I got information that there were no free rooms. But there were free rooms on booking, so I made a new booking on site. Now I got a more expensive room without a toilet. Very unprofessional, false behavior. It's not nice when you have an uncertain feeling while traveling, and this was created by this hotel.

Parking can be challenging. We found street parking close

Stayed here when we attended the Spring Fest. Train was directly in front of the hotel, which took us right to the festival. Front desk was very helpful and told us how to get to the festival.

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

The room was next to the train so it was extremely loud. They forgot to put a 3rd bed even though I paid for it. The shower was gross. They need to clean the mold.

Location was near where I needed to be

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I paid 99 euro. I don't think it worth it. It's not like a two stars hotel for me (I remember I saw it's a two star hotel, if it's not then ignore this sentence). The room doesn't have air-condition, and the day I check-in, stuttgart's highest temparature was 27, and the room's heat was on maximum. So imagine the feeling when I first walked into the room. It take hours to cool down after I turned the heat off. And this is the only hotel during my trip in Europe require to photocopy my passport. I understand if they want to see it, but why do they need to photocopy it?

The stuff is kind and helpful.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Horrible!!! The tram keeps you up all night. It is not a family hotel. Electric Cables out, the glass windows are bare so the street lights are on your face. Breakfast? You got to be kidding! No even water. The door lock was not save at all, it looks like it was kick before and patched with some nails. It really was bad but we arrived at night and tired and had to stay.

Great location, clean with friendly staff. Although no breakfast facilities available there is a great bakery just on the corner with delicious pastries. I would stay here again.

• Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Internet connection is very bad! Weird that a hotel in the center of Europe in year 2018 offers such a very slow internet connection!

Awesome Location, clean, awesome stuff, good price!

I stayed 3 days and my TV did not work for 2 full days. The hotel and hotel rooms are quite old. Especially for the price (EUR 100 a night).

The location within the city is good. Friendly people at the reception desks.

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Wifi connection process is badly executed. Just have the same password for all routers in all the floors, and simplify your guests' life. The furniture in the room is old and destroyed, there is mold on the walls of the main room and everywhere in the bathroom. You cannot sleep well in the room overlooking the street cause it is very busy, plus the bed is not comfortable at all.

Room cleaning was done every day with fresh towels. Exceptional location.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was terrible and when I asked to change they said they were full. Only after telling that I wouldn’t stay there they offered another room, and another. This one was better but still lacking conditions.

The location was okay.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The WiFi isn’t good, the bed is not comfortable and make much noise so is difficult to have a good sleep. The heater doesn’t work.

Near to the public transport

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Because I arrived late (after midnight), I had to pick up the key from another hotel on the other side of the city center, then take my luggage to this hotel. I think it could have been better to find a place with closer proximity to pick up the key.

I liked the location a lot, it is really close to the center, with plenty of transportation methods to take around. Also, the value for the money is great, I didn't have higher expectations for the amount I paid.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Checking in is a bit hassle if it is later than 12am, as you need to go to other hotel to get the keys.

Was lucky to have some staff at other hotel to take me to the actual hotel because i only can check it after 12am. The location is great!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Bedroom, bed, terrible places To charge phone, bathroom broken (nobody fixes after I reported), had To change floor everytime I used the bathroom.

Place in the city

The WiFi had an outdated and very poor connection. I paid for a single room with bathroom and I got a single room with shared bathroom.

The staff was very friendly and the hotel is very close to the city center. The bed was very comfortable and the price of the room is well worth a stay.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Too much noise from the street, lack of curtains (couldn't sleep in the morning), thin walls.

Right near the tram station, very warm in winter time (booked in january).

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We received a different room then what we saw in the pictures. The room had 3 walls and 2 single beds beside 2 walls but joined near one corner. We slept with more clothes on because of the low temperature (the window was open when we checked in around 18 PM). There was a mixed smell of food and smoke.

near city center

kept getting woken up in the middle of the night because the doors of the rooms and especially the common bathroom outside my room was so loud. seems like an easy problem to fix...

very friendly staff, had an issue with check-out, staff tried their hardest to accommodate me

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Not too welcoming staff at all (during the entire stay). One single electricity plug, with cables that had to run across the bed. Romantic value of this place is zero on a scale of Richter, or anything else. Felt like a hospital visit.

No fuss checking in/out - very quickly. Excellent location. You're in the centre of town on foot in less than 10'. There's a LIDL supermarket in 2'. There's quite a few tram lines passing just in front.

could be noisy if windows left open (tram outside) but zero noise with them closed.

Good location, my rate was really good for 2 nights. Its not a 5 star hotel, so no complaints re what I got for the price. Quite room (with windows closed) and comfy bed. Clean, and fuss free. This was my 4th or 5th stay here. I have stayed in leMeridian too on occasions but that was 4 times the price for same duration. This trip all I wanted was good location and bed.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Free wifi didn't work, booked a double bed and got two singles, staff were very uncooperative, the room was dirty and there were no blinds or curtains so people on the train outside could look straight in to the room, which was on the first floor.

Nothing about this hotel was good except for its location.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom that needs a renovation. A combination of shower curtain and sliding door are both damaged and don't do the job. If you're lucky there is a bottle of soap in the shower. Rooms are relative small but ok. I've been twice and the TV never worked. Wifi keeps on disconnecting every 5 minutes.

The hotel is located close to the city center, great location. Price is ok for the city.

You should write on the website that the Check in is only until midnight. I had to walk 40 min to get my key and I wrote previously that I would arrive after 00.00!!!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Great location Friendly staff Very close to U-train station, just in front of the hotel entrance. Clean sheets Clean room and the room was cleaned and made up every day.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We had paid online before arrival yet they made us pay again at the door, promising the money had been refunded online. We asked them to check because it hadn't come through and he insisted it was in our account. 3 weeks later, still no money. Booking.com has been helpful but I would never recommend this hotel unless you would like to pay double for a terrible hotel.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Overall, I did not like anything about the property. For the price, it did NOT meet my expectations. All it was, was a place to sleep, and that’s it. Did not feel comfortable walking around there without shower shoes. Also, I had to keep the door locked at all times — which, the lock took about 2 minutes to lock and unlock. Overall, would not recommend for a vacation, unless you’re just looking for a bed.

I did not like anything

The hotels' sanitary condition is extremely bad. Bed and sheets look uncleaned, (some of it has blood stain on it. Some of us feel itch) Everyone on the floor shares the same bathroom out at the hallway. and there is no soundproofing at all, when every time elevator operates, we hear loud rattling sound from inside of the room. Have no closets, no curtains(we do have the shutter but it does not block the cold air from outside.), balcony directly connected to the next room. overall, the hotels' quality is too bad to stay,

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was very small at the back of the hotel. Very basic and in need of updating. Nowhere to hang clothes or put away. No tea coffee making facilities. Shared bathroom. Not a nice environment to relax in.

The beds were comfy. Location for transport excellent. Clean.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Interior is quite cheap renovated or not renovated at all. TV didn't work, curtain fell down, shared bathroom with a shower that leaks.

Great location, within walking distance to the city center and tram station in front of the door.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom is shared and so far from my room, it's terrible for women carry on many things on the hands through of three doors. :(

It was near from metro station and some good places as bar street and shopping, if you like to walk. Location is really good.

The place is really run down - which is not ok for such a price. And they just do not care at all, because people come anyway

This is the worst place you could imagine for unbelievable 140 € per night. Every hostel or youth hostel has a friendlier and better service not not speak of the crazy price.

We will never return to this Hotel Staff was rude and unfriendly We went to breakfast at 08:00 am and there was almost no food on the self serving tables. We must ask several times at least 5 times for Bread and Coffee. Meanwhile the Breafast staff was smoking in the kitchen! At nite loud noises doesnt let you sleep! We paid €660.- for two rooms for two nights, it was like throwing our money away!!!!! Please do not book this nigthmeare Hotel! No curtains on Windows, bad shower And rude Staff! Never ever again!!!!

The moment we leave this house of terror!

There r no proper curtain, but there r quite wide&big windows in the room. So, inside of the room can be seen from the outside.

The room was really spacy.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I didnt know how to review this hotel because I could not find a word to describe HOW TERRIBLE IT IS !!!! Small room that can barely fit two beds, I found hair in the bed. Basically it seems like a hotel that people come and go for prostitutions. SO honestly i really do NOT recommend this hotel.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We arrive at 16:00 and we needed to wait because the change shifts then. (They told me that 4pm never is a good time to go) After that they gave me the smallest room I ever saw for that price.

It's near the city centre.

no air conditioning in any of the rooms we had so it was extremely hot at night; could not open the windows since they overlooked the main very busy and extremely noisy street. strange locks in one of the rooms, didn't figure out how it worked or why it was needed like that. they block the whole due amount on your card well after your stay even if you paid in cash!! very strange. pretty basic rooms, quite expensive for what they offered; the whole building needs renovation; street parking not easy to find at any times.

quite clean and close to city centre.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

My only disappointment was that we booked a 'double' room for me and my partner and was given a 'twin' room that we couldn't even push the beds together as only bed was really high and the next bed was like a low base that goes under a single and the toilet was really waterlogged when everyone had a shower but apart from that it was a great location and the lady on reception was lovely and helpful x

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was SO small !! the photos online on booking.com were misleading, it looked like the room was far bigger... what we were given was a poky little room where the "double bed" (2 singles put together) were squeezed together /diagonally/ in the room to fit!? (at least our 3 sons were in a slightly bigger room next door.) The room was also stifling hot and right on the busy road. (Had to close all windows due to noise and the stand up fan did not cool the room down very much... We were woken up several times by neighbors arriving late in the night and slamming their doors shut :-/ Still, it was just 1 night. i would definitely not want to stay there more than 1 night...

Good breakfast for 7 EUR. And very friendly & helpful staff. That's about the only thing positive i can report...

Old building, elevator didn't go to 4th floor. Breakfast not included. Rooms very old. For the price I paid I did expect more

Friendly and helpful staff

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Room last upgrade in the 70-s. Fairly clean but that's all you can say about it. For the price this is what I expected. Sun proof curtains would be an improvement. Shared bathroom is a bit newer but gets very wet when showering and unfortunately the toilet isn't seperate. If someone else is in the shower you cannot use the toilet.

Single room with good bed, bathroom only to share with 2 other rooms. Fantastic location with S-bahn Olgaeck right in front, or 10 mins walk to Stuttgard city center. Breakfast is decent for only 7 euros, but there are plenty other places around for breakfasting.

The curtains are not very private. The room is exposed to the people across the street with their day jobs.

I didn't know what to expect due to the price, but I was amazed for the cost. It was clean and room enough for two people.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The location is not really in the center but can be easily reached by u-train. Walking distance around 15 mins. Staffs are not all so friendly but ok. Very noisy since we had to open the window because it was a very heated summer.

Supermarkets nearby (edeka & lidl). Hot shower works well, pretty clean room and bathroom.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Reception was closed when we arrived at 11:45, although it was meant to be open until 12. We had to drive to another hotel to pick up the key. No apology or compensation was offered. We got twin beds although booked a double. Very poor, never staying again.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I went here during the summer and it was very hot. The hotel is kind enough to provide a small fan but this is not enough during the height of summer. The wifi is also a bit spotty.

Excellent location. Rooms are always clean. It's right across a tram stop but the street noise can be avoided by closing the windows.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The WiFi was very poor, the room was small and was very noisy when the windows were open which is nearly a must in hot weather as there is no air conditioning in the room just a tower fan.

It was beside the metro which made the main train station and city centre easy to access.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No air conditioning during the summer, although they are kind enough to provide a (very small) fan. Street noise can be a bit of a problem if your room is facing the street.

Decent accommodation, walking distance to the city centre and the old town. It's also close to public transportation. The rooms are clean, the bed linen is good.

The bed was full of bugs. I couldn't identify what the creatures are, but they only appeared during night time. I only noticed it on the second day and I have a few bites on my skin. I even took a video of them crawling on the bed. Stay away from this hotel.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The wifi couldn't reach the room, the hotel is near the main street and the cars and tram noise is very disturbing at night

The hotel locates at the center which is very easy to reach.

It was super noisy at night due to the nearby tram station. The trams also woke me up in early morning.

The room was big. The location was close to the city center, which only 2 tram stations away.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I did not like to share bathroom/toilet, as I have to get up during the night/early morning, a separate toilet would have been a bonus.

I was able to explore the city on foot, as I am a very fit person.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Noise in the night and early in the a.m. From both outside and some guests inside.

Attention to detail, cleanliness, decor, The old square is just steps away. Great location.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Awesome nice place yeah it was very cheap for this price for 43 euros 2 nights with huge balcony tv when I am going to visit Stuttgart I will stay here thanks for all

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

WLAN was not working, I couldnt check in before before they left (before they stated they already were away) and had to walk 1 hour through the city to find the other hotel to pick up the key from some elses hotel. Bathroom was not so nice, lot of stuff is broken and you saw that

it was quite central

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

There were no curtains in the room. The sun woke me up early every day and the heat made the room too hot . I thought id get a double bed but 2 single beds were given ... the wifi kept cutting out every 10 minutes too . I paid 7 euros for breakfast the 1st day but most of the food was unedible . Bread all dried out . Eggs overcooked and just left out there .

I liked the fact that it was close to the center

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We were put in a smoking room because all the non-smoking shared-bathroom were full. It smelt horrible every time we went into the room and all of our clothes stank when we got back to England. The lady at reception was really friendly and helpful, it was just unfortunate timing for us.

The beds were comfy and it was nice having a private sink in the room even with a shared bathroom facility. There was a nice amount of space for two people in the room. Staff were really friendly. Also, a side note- one of the reviewers mentioned no curtains/way to darken room... in Germany outdoor "curtains" (rolladens) are very popular. While the indoor curtains are useless practically (bits of string hanging down), there are little pully things either side of the window that lower black-out rollandens.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I booked a double room, but I found it twin room after I came to the hostel. I wanted not twin beds, but a doublebed cause I was with my girlfriend. The staff said not every double room has double bed... I didn't really know that. I think then they have to write it as twin room.

Bathroom was big.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was supposedly non-smoking but stank of smoke. Dirty marks on walls. Generally bleak decor, two single beds were shoved at an angle into a small room where they didn't really fit. Room looked directly onto tram stop so had to keep shutters closed at all times. Very thin walls. Shared shower was functional but in poor repair. Breakfast was ok, but have had much better for the same price at other hotels in Stuttgart. Wifi was very unreliable. Everything was bearable but definitely the worst hotel I've stayed at in Germany so far.

Central location, friendly receptionist

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The receptionist wasn't very helpful and the reception room, which is right next to the breakfast room, smelled of cigarets. A lot. Like an ashtray. The cleaning could have been done better in general.

A Hostel close to the centrum. Two grocery shops wight around the corner.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Hotel canseled my reservation without any warning (i found this out after my arrival to hotel). After that hotel offerem me a single room without bath (bath was one for whole flour) for the same price (however it had to be discount). heating was turned off (outside temperature was zero). scratched furniture and towels are very old. the price is not comparable with such a service

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

There was nothing wrong with the accommodation but it wasn't the nicest place we've ever stayed.

The beds were very comfortable and the value for money is second to none.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

My heat battery started leaking at night. Nothing critical, but uncomfortable. There is balcon but no door) Breakfast rooms are rather little - it is possible that you come and there is no place to seat. Lift goes only to the fourth floor. My room (and two or three other) was on fifth. No map on the reception.

Great breakfast! Good location, nice personal. At my next stay at Stuttgart I will come to this hotel. Photo from the balcon attached)

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

room was worst and heater was not working well.breakfast is soo poor.bread with fungus are at the table.hot milk was not avaliable.microwave is not there so i can do something for myself.I wasted 7 euros for the breakfast.i will not suggest this hotel to my friends.Except wifi everything was poor.For booking.com please dont add such hotels in your list.lots of things to tell about the bad things but i will comment as below, it is just waste of money instead of search for the other hotels.dont go.

Internet was working well.location is close to the central station.connectivity to all areas is good.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very loud at busy main street and they don't offer correct EU tax declarations/deductions on their invoices which makes you lose 7% of the price as a company.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

very old and tired looking. bedding was also very old. No way my wife would have stayed here.

It is within walking distance of the city center. Staff was friendly

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

If possible ask a room that is not at 1st floor (at the reception level actually) as I think the private toilet that was supposed to be used only by the people hosted in the rooms was used also by other people and each time they entered the entrance door was smashed against the wall with a big noise.

Is located 5 min walking time from the pedestrian street. You get a decent room to sleep in at a good price compared with the other hotels around (off course that for higher price you get also a private bathroom etc).

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Thd hotel switches off the heating over night for the whole building. It was extremely cold and I Coukd not sleep. The person at the reception did not help me to find an electric heater or to find another hotel late in the night. I am extremely unsutisfied. Switching off heating in the night is unacceptable in the winter.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

1. Noise from the street - you have to choose - closed window and stuffiness (especially in summer) or open window and noise from the street and U-bahn. 2. Reception works not 24/7. You have to go to another hotel (about 2 km - b&w map not visible on the night) to get the key from the room. I had a double room reservation, arrived after 00-00 and had to go for the key. When I came back and enter my room... I discovered only one single bed in my booked double room. What to say, I was not alone, with my colleague. It was rain and I had nothing to do because nobody was on the reception. I was really disapointed. 3. Strange payment system. Hotel blocked sum on my card and charged my card once upon arrival. My first payment was frozen for 20 days and I even thought the hotel charged me twice. But in 20 days second payment was unblocked. Strange booking system...at least nervous

Walking distance from central station - just 20 minutes, LIDL proximity

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

You might need to take a tranportation if you carry lots of back and stuffs with u From main station to hotel Wifi was not so properly connected in the room Also to connect the wifi you would need to enroll yourself into some weird web page I was worry for that so gave up to use the wifi It was hard to bear that inconvenient

Kind and friendly accountants

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

You might consider requesting a room away from the street for a few bucks more if you notice that sort of thing.

Nice "catch" on an older building. The best "slumming" accomodations I've had this year. Too often these low buck places have no elevator and poor cleaning. Or poor neighborhood. Not so here. Everything was "small scale" including the elevator, but hey, great place for a genuine bargain. I would definitely go there again.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Small and noisy room, no curtains and lots of city lights out of the window, very unhelpful staff, we didn't check out yet, but found staff in my room gettin it ready for next guest...with my stuff in it; when I asked the guy why, he wasn't sorry at all, and started to talk roughly, so I left

Position, but no good if you've got a car...

Browse Hotel Espenlaub traveller photo gallery