Reviews of Hotel und Restaurant Löwenbräu Köln This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Frankenwerft 21, Altstadt-Nord, 50667 Cologne, Germany

#124 of 223 hotels in Cologne

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Great old hotel in splendid location

No lift so you have to be fit if on upper levels..

Wonderful location on Banks of the The one. We had a great view. The restaurant has very good food at reasonable cost. Highly recommended *****

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Lovely old hotel on the river.

No lift - so if on upper floors you need to be fit.

Wonderful location - could not be better placed. We had a lovely room looking over the Rhine. Very good food in the restaurant.

Great place, I would certainly stay again!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

The upper room (4th floor) did not have very good air circulation. The window is very small and cannot open very far. It was very hot when I travelled so this was pretty uncomfortable as there was no fan or air conditioning. The staff was very accommodating me and moved me the next night.

The rooms were well appointed for such a small space. I really enjoyed the complimentary slippers! When I first arrived I was placed in the top floor room which was very small and unfortunately hot due to the weather at the time, the staff was very accommodating in moving me to a lower room the second night of my stay.

Cosy hotel above a great local restaurant

There's no elevator (near as I can tell) so if you're on the third floor, transporting suitcases can be troublesome - the location is in heart of the center, so there will be a lot of noise outside even in the early hours - this was fine with me, but something to consider for light sleepers

Fantastic location, friendly, cosy hotel with very comfortable beds (I appreciated the free water bottles and sweets) and comes with discounts at the restaurant downstairs - great food and beer (including traditional and local options) outdoor seating or indoor tables in a very lovely warm pub atmosphere; great lighting and novelty decorations. Affordable and authentic

3 pillows and a nice bed

Tiny room My room was on the 4th floor and there wasn't any lift Spider webs on my window Toilet right next to the door entrance No air conditioning No fridge

3 pillows and a nice bed Free water, coffee, and tea Excellent restaurant

Excellent location next to the Rhine and city centre.

Needs aircon. It was so hot with winter quilts on the beds.

Excellent location next to the Rhine and city centre. Would really benefit from aircon. Great jazz bar behind hotel. Beware if driving. Koln needs the ENV driving permit.

Nice little place

The ventilation on the bathroom was very noisy and impossible to turn of. Continued most of the night making it difficult to fall asleep

Friendly and competent staff . Clean and comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

If you go as a tourist it is a good option but not for a business trip.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

Personnel's attitude. The temperature in the room was high (warm summer day) and the provided fan didn't work and the reception was closed during that time to ask for a new fan.

Breakfast and coffee were really good. The hotel was beautiful and it had a nice appearance.

The staff is really nice and helpful.

I stayed in a single bedroom, on the 4th floor. In terms of space it was quite perfect for me, the only problem was the terrible heat inside the room (there were almost 40ºC). Inside the closet there's a portable fan, which I used , but it didn't help that much...

The staff is really nice and helpful. The location is awesome.

We would definitely stay here again and we loved being right in the centre of historic Cologne.

This is copied from someone else but is exactly what our experience of the room was like. Also when we stayed it was 37 degrees outside so unseasonably hot. If you want to go to sleep before 3 a.m. impossible to do, because no air condition in summer, you want to open a window but it is very noisy, because there is a lot of pubs around. Actually, we quite liked the "noise" some might call it "lively ambience" with live music from street musicians who play "I Just Called to Say I laaav you and I mean it from my bottom of my heart" which amused us greatly. At least they have a fan. Yep, and a hair dryer in the bathroom.

Lovely comfortable bed. Friendly excellent staff and food was better than expected (as in better than the photos on the website). Breakfast served from 7am until 11am and food served until 3am!! Amazing and very handy if you've been out on the town for the night. They also offer 10% discount on food and drinks for guests, really good value for money. Also as we had recentyl got married I'd requested a bottle of Champagne in the bedroom which was served in an ice bucket when we arrived so very happy with this :)

Nice place in a very noisy area, don't book Room #39 unless you are child sized
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

I booked "a single room with a private bathroom in the hallway" so I think at check-in I was "upgraded" and got a single with a bathroom in the room (Room #39). I used quotes around "upgraded", because this room's bathroom - while nice - easily took up at least 1/2 of the formerly available space! There was almost no space then leftover in this room to even turn around in! I am a large guy (195cm) and my shoulders would almost touch both sides of the "hallway" in this room when I enter it. Then in two steps I was at the bed, and that's it. The room has all usual ammenities (little coffee machine, little desk, little wardrobe, and even a luggage rack, but really, it can only be used without laughing out loud if you are a drunk college kid or perhaps a teeny tiny person. I visited during the 2018 heatwave, and while the hotel has no control over the weather, you should know that this area is like NY's "Times Square" and it gets very loud at night especially as everyone on earth who is getting married has their "Hen" or "Stag" parties in Cologne. You will see more than 30 sets of these groups of drunk people all wearing the same t-shirts in the area. So, long story short, if you sleep with the window closed it will be quiet, but you will suffocate, and if you sleep with the window open you need two sets of ear plugs in. In any case, you're not going to sleep.

The location is right by the Rhine, and it is part of a string of establishments all in a row, so there is always a nice crowd of people outside having a drink or something to eat. The restaurant is wood beamed and has lots of interesting pictures and funny signs on the walls to look at. Very good atmosphere. The breakfast provided was top notch - a very good selection attractively arranged. Staff is friendly.

Location is great.

I went in summer. Room was about 10F hotter than Outside, and the building doesn’t get any cooler at night. Needless to say it was hard to sleep In 90+ degrees I’m the room.

Location is great. Breakfast in the morning was also nice

The room was quaint, and clean with nice touches ie Haribo...

With the current temperatures the room was absolutely roasting. They did supply a little fan but it did nothing much more than move the hot air around, not a major but maybe something to think about for the future

The room was quaint, and clean with nice touches ie Haribo and water, location was great, and the hotel staff accommodating. Breakfast was simple but good, mostly continental with a few warm bits such as bacon and eggs

The location is good, on the bank of Rhein, 7-9 minutes walk...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

The place is extremely noisy. A lot of bars, including one on the ground floor, people shouting till 3 a.m. (it was Friday), had to close the window, which brings the next problem - no AC. My room was on the last floor and it was +35 C during the day so I couldn't really enjoy my night sleep. It could be a nice choice to spend a night or two of a working day in autumn, but not a hot Friday night.

The location is good, on the bank of Rhein, 7-9 minutes walk from the Central Station and Kölner Dom. The price is decent.

Room small but cosy, and spotless clean.

Everything is perfect. In order to avoid misunderstanding, people should be aware that the hotel is located in one of the most visited and lively quarters. The rooms are very silent, but people should not request impossible things, such as perfect silence on the street! On the other hand, you may enjoy the place a lot!

Room small but cosy, and spotless clean. The restaurant is a very good one, and the staff is very friendly.

very poor

the room was dirty, the bed was bad, the room was not made up on my last day, had a kettle but only one sachet of coffee and sugar, very noisy at night, breakfast very average, only allowed one orange juice, very disappointed and cannot recommend

the location close to the river rhine

My room was pretty small, but that wasn't a problem...

Because the hotel is located right in the middle of the old town, it was pretty loud outside at night.

My room was pretty small, but that wasn't a problem since I was by myself. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the food is great.

Good location but pricey and inconvenient steps
    • Family Room with Bathroom

There are many steep steps to your room. With luggage it is really difficult. Not always someone available to help. Even climbing up and down every day is tiring. And we are not so old. Very very pricey.

Very good location. Good breakfast.Very neat room.

Perfect location.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

Supertiny bathroom (not attached to bedroom). The restaurants offer only a couple of options for vegetarians, but is great for those who want to try traditional Köln meat dishes. The (single bedroom) was small so I would only want to stay there for short trips.

Perfect location. Clean and beautiful interior given the size of the building. The (single bedroom) room has all the amenities.

best value for money in Køln

staff, location and food was very good, breakfast super good, value for the money. and what is better than have the breakfast outside next to the Rhien/river. :)

Lovely river front hotel:

As mentioned, the shower cubicle was small and Floor was slippery. (I had a broken wrist, so was quite anxious about it)

I had stayed at this Hotel before, so knew what to expect. It is a wonderfully situated Hotel, right on the Rhine Promenade. The rooms are good, well equipped (the fan was a nice touch, as it was pretty hot when we were there) The bed was comfy (pillow a bit hard, but personal taste) Nice also, to have water and a kettle to make coffee / tea in the room. This is always a nice touch. There are also complimentary slippers in the room. We booked an over night stay, as we were seeing someone off at the Airport. Excellent Location to the Station and Airport. It was a warm week night and there were many people on the Promenade. It was a tad noisy, but not for too late. The bathroom is small, and the shower cubicle small, without a handle, to hold onto, which would be nice, as the floor is slippery. We could cope for one night, but a longer stay might be less comfortable. The breakfast is satisfactory, with something for most tastes. Very pleasant to sit on the Patio in the cool morning. Just a word of caution... This Hotel does not have a lift, so it may be awkward with large items of luggage. This did not bother us for one night, as we travelled 'light'. All in all, this is a good, central Hotel, worth the visit. I would definitely stay again, for a short stay.

Jewel on the River on a budget

Request lower room if needed. No elevator.

Small jewel hotel on the promenade, almost an attraction. WiFi, nice breakfast, candlelight restaurant, and in the middle of everything. 10 min walk to train station.

Full marks for location, comfort, helpful staff and quality of food and drink.

An excellent location easily reached from the railway station, very comfortable room. Although there is no lift (elevator) assistance was offered in carrying baggage to my room on both occasions I stayed here. The staff in both reception and restaurant were friendly and very helpful.

Nice generous room with a river view on 4th floor - lots of...

Stairs. Fairly expensive, but not many options left when we booked! Breakfast would be extra.

Nice generous room with a river view on 4th floor - lots of stairs! Situated above a restaurant which was convenient with nice food and a good atmosphere.

Get locks & serve us breakfast in the room when doing renovations; otherwise nice room & view.

There wasn't a lock on the inside of our room door. This concerned us since anyone could enter the room. Then the next day the hotel tv technician just walked right into our room unannounced. My husband was napping and I fortunately was having a cup of tea. We didn't even receive a call from the front desk to let us know that he was coming up to the room to service the tv at that moment. Last but not least, the hotel said they couldn't serve us breakfast both mornings due to renovations and that we would have to wait to be reimbursed through Booking.com

We liked the location, and you have a fabulous view of the Reine! They had a nice tea kettle with good German tea in the room.

Great place, full of character
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

Only the absence of a lift... I was on the 4th floor.

Nice old building. Excellent restaurant and bar. Comfortable room. Very convenient location in the old town.

Breakfast restaurant.

Comfort of room is like from 70's. Dark bathroom with only one lamp and curtain in shower.

Breakfast restaurant. View on river. Close to restaurants

Great location in a great city

I found the food at the restaurant just ok, and more expensive than many (even with the offered 10% discount), and the area can be noisy at night, but this is of course due to the many options for dining (and drinking) nearby.

The staff were friendly and accommodating, and the location really cannot be beaten, especially if one is interested in visiting the many Christmas markets and museums that Köln has to offer.

Great locatlon, basic amenities, overall positive experience.

I selected a room with a double bed, paying more for it, because a single bed doesn't work for me (I'm on the bigger side). However, the bed was not a double bed, but two single beds pushed together, with the bedframes between them, so it was useless as a double bed.

The location is perfect for exploring the old city. While there is no parking on site, there is a conveniently located parking garage just a 3-minute walk away. The restaurant is very good, and as a hotel guest you are given a 10% discount. The staff at both hotel and restaurant are quite friendly.

The room I had was just a single bed with a private bathroom...

The room I had was just a single bed with a private bathroom (not always common in Europe), so its great for solo travelers. The hotel is inside a restaurant, I only had the breakfast buffet which was egg, sausages, various cold meats, bread, cheese, fruit and bread. They also gave me 10% coupons for use at dinner and lunch, but I always away and didn't try but the restaurant was always busy during dinner and lunch hours. I went during December so it was a really short walk to the Heumarkt Christmas market, as well as being a less than 10 minute walk from the main train station/Hbf.

Excelent location at a good price

The location is great. The restaurant is very nicely decorated in december. The breakfast didn't have too many options, but they were very good. I am very happy with it. I had a tiny single room on the top floor and it was very interesting to stay in so little space, I really enjoyed it.

I’ve been overcharged without notice.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

I’ve been overcharged without notice. As the reception explained, everyone accommodates Cologne has to pay 5% ‘city tax’. Amusingly as booking.com mentioned in my reservation, 7% VAT is already included. No matter what it was, what I felt it was compulsion.

I love the old-fashioned charm of this hotel, and would definitely stay here again.

Being a vegan, it was a bit challenging. I had to settle for a veggie evening meal, but breakfast was fine.

Excellent location, charming restaurant, good service, bilingual menu, clean room and bathroom, nice and quiet in my room with an opening window so that I could regulate the temperature myself. There was only the promenade between the hotel and the river, plus it was an easy walk to the opera house, which was then main reason for coming to Cologne. I think I was fortunate to find a hotel which suited my quirky disposition - and at a very reasonable price.

Excellent stay as usual
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

I should have read the room spec more carefully - private loo & bathroom was across the hall - exactly as the confirmation stated.

Comfy traditional hotel in stunning location on banks of Rhine, short walk from the station and the Dom (cathedral), in the old town.

The staff were nice.

i got nothing to say, they were helpful.

The staff were nice. I forgot their names but they definitely care their customers, like they letting me borrow a phone charger during my stay.

Lovely hotel. Perfect for short stays.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

The only weak point is the external bathroom (too small)

Excellent position (5 mins walking from the Dome), very clean room (maybe a little small but comfortable), friendly staff, strong wi-fi signal, and an elegant restaurant by the river Rhine.

Wonderful accommodation.

We were completely taken aback by our view! We didn't know for sure if we'd be able to see the Rhein from our window and as it turned out, we could! We walked in and it just smelled fresh. I walked over to the window and there was the city! It was so wonderful to be able to be in the "hub" of Cologne for the price that we paid! We went to the restaurant for a bit early before heading out to explore more and enjoyed an exceptional meal! And we were provided with 10% off coupons for their restaurant as well which just added to our wonderful stay. I've already started planning my next stay here with the coupon they provide for your next stay with them in the final payment statement.

Relaxing and fun

Being offered a complimentary drink on the last evening (we wouldn't have had it at that point) only to find it on our bill.

Great location, everything was within walking distance, plenty to do for our short break, relaxed atmosphere and staff were friendly.

Very disappointing stay.

No hot water in my room the last day of my stay. told staff and they had no solutions. Not the fault of the hotel but area is very noisy even during the week. Tiny room.nothing like a normal 3 star hotel

Good WiFi,

Fantastic breakfast, so much choice from traditional,...

Fantastic breakfast, so much choice from traditional, continental and local cuisine. My partner would have liked air conditioning in the room, but the fan provided was a nice touch. Brilliant location, lovely to have a room overlooking the river and within walking distance to all the sights.

cozy, but noisy

Super noisy, window facing street with restaurants and bars, people drinking beer and yelling all day. far from train station and the road are all bricks and rough, very difficult to walk to when dragging a suitcase

cozy bed, close to the river, well furnished

Location for visiting city
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

All to small when you are 1.90 cm. I couldnt almost close door of toilet because my knees didnt fit in the toiletroom and at night very much noise because of live music in clubs around location.

Location for visiting city

location close to the center, cosy room, friendly staffs,...

rooms are accessible with stairs (maybe not the best when traveling with heavy luggage) and the water pressure in the shower was so high

location close to the center, cosy room, friendly staffs, and restaurant & bar on the first floor.

Small but clean.

It was too warm in the room but not able to leave the window open at night due to the noise of drank people and also some sort of machinery sound (air conditioner or ventilation?) from the street.

Small but clean. Great location. Walking distance (9mn) to the central train station. Great value for the little price. Clean shower and sanitaries.

Good for a short stay

No lift, small bathroom, extra large pillows, no view from the room.

Clean room, good location near the river, convenient to have a bar downstairs open until 3 am. Good for a short stay just for sleeping.

Centre for Cologne Pride

It was good value for money, but things were a bit dated, which is also part of the charm.

Very convenient to most of the things to see and do in Cologne. The restaurant was great with good service and food.

The perfect hotel for this price

There was a little bit too warm in the room, because one of the wall was heated. During the winter time it would be an additional positive point, but during my stay the weather was quite hot...

First of all, the location of the hotel is great, it's just 5 minutes of walk from the main station and from the Cathedral, moreover it's loceted just near the embankment of Rhein, wonderful! The room was very clean, and there were everything that might be needed. The staff was friendly and always tried to help if I had any problems/questions. On the ground floor there was a lovely restaurant with tasty food, and as a guest of this hotel I had a 15% discount for the restaurant.

Overall good, but noisy at night
    • Triple Room with Bathroom

The wifi is a unstable. It is quite noisy till late night because it's located above several bars.

The location is very good to access the main touristic attractions. There's a nice view to the river.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

The hotel is very central, ideal if you want to visit the...

Our room was at the front of the hotel which had a nice view on the Rhine but was very noisy at night when people were still outside eating/drinking.

The hotel is very central, ideal if you want to visit the Altstadt and the Dom. The central train station is very close too. The room was very nice and clean. We had a lovely view over the river Rhine.

All facilities were clean and it was good enough to take a...

Even though location was not that far from central point of cologne, there was not proper public transportation to reach the hotel. U bahn, tram, and Dom BHF were little bit far from hotel. It was sorry that hotel Wifi does not work on the time.

All facilities were clean and it was good enough to take a rest. Hotel gave me discount coupon for their restaurant. I can enjoy active circumstance near the Rhine river.

Great view and comfortable

No elevator

It takes about 10-15 mins walk from the main train station. As it doesn't have a elevator, we have to walk up the stairs on the 3rd floor. The restaurant serve great local German food and its very popular among the local and tourist. The beer is great too. So are the breakfast. Around the hotel, there's plenty of other choices of restaurants. We have a great view from our hotel room.

Good accommodation for short stay

- Small room - The bathroom was within the room, there wasn't a division between the two

- Excelent location - Friendly staff - Restaurant with terrace in the hotel

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Very lovely hotel with authentic atmosphere

Noisy area due to the amount of restaurants/bars around (with the closed window had no problems)

Very beautiful paintings on the walls, nice and comfortable bed, great location, nice facilities

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Broom closet sized rooms with unfriendly staff!

Staff absolutely not helpful with the luggage. Once I asked if one of the waiters (Dieter) could help me carrying my suitcase to the top floor (no lift!) - he just shouted that he wasn't a hotel bellhop - absolutely terrible first impression! The room was not bigger than a broom closet - you basically enter the bathroom once you open the hotel room door. Unfortunately there was not even a heating in the bathroom - even though it was -2 outside and therefore very frosty in the entire room! Can't recommend this hotel to anyone really!

In the heart of the city
    • Family Room with Bathroom

There are parking places around for the car, but you have to pay. Late check-in.

The location! The view from the room. The interior decoration of the hotel. Good breakfast for a decent price.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Cologne - a gem on the Rhine!
    • Family Room with Bathroom

Christmas markets should not close before the end of year. There was only 1 open market, but very nice and we visited every evening during our stay.

Excellent service, wonderful staff and brilliant city with loads to see and do even for kids. Hotel Lowenbrau is a charming, cosy hotel right in the middle of the city. Will be definitely back xxx

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

OK place for one night near Cologne Main Station
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

Restaurant manager who does late check-ins pretends to know how you log into wifi, but doesn't. I had to go back downstairs three times before discovering a card in my room with correct instructions. Had to turn off noisy dehumidifier(?) in hall. As soon as you stopped moving in hall, lights went out (timer broken?), which was unpleasant when repeatedly locking and unlocking doors to go between room and bathroom. Bathroom cold in morning. Bathroom so small that bath mat lies mostly under toilet.

Quiet room within in big sink with exclusive-use bathroom across hall within short walk of Cologne Main Station.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

It was very nice trip.

There's some night club beside the hotel. For a single girl trip~it's just a little nervous. But not totally unsafe.

Breakfast is very good and rich. Also the employees are very nice and warm

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Definitely recommend

Bathroom was well equipt but so small! No tea-making facilities in the room (small thing really).

Lovely rustic, quiet and excellent location. Restaurant had great range of food.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

The room was nice, cozy and typical.

I had two big and really heavy pieces of luggage, my room was at the 4th floor with no elevator and nobody in the staff even offered some help!

The room was nice, cozy and typical.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

The location of the hotel is amazing.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

I had a single room with a separate bathroom (not shared) across the floor, which was a bit narrow.

The location of the hotel is amazing. Also the restaurant in the ground floor was great. Anytime again.

All in one :)

Rooms are really small as it is converted from an old cottage.

Cosy miniature rooms ( to save you from an initial shock :) ) but very friendly team, fabulous location. Both partying and beautiful rein rive trees and parks & nature in one package. Walking distance from shopping centers, main train station, chocolate factory, sunday flee market, restaurants and bars. Yet You are already in a bar and a restaurant if you are staying at this hotel.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Ideal for a short stay in the most active part of Köln

The smallest hotel room I've ever been in (which was okay for me actually).

Was here for the marathon. If you don't expect the room to be anything else than a place to sleep, shower and keep your stuff: great hotel. If you need a little more space and actually want to spend time in your room you might want to look further. For me it was perfect as the location was ideal for going into the city center. Friendly staf, decent breakfast, hot shower.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Excellent stay for one night stop over in Cologne

Friendly staff, great location.

Nice stay in koln

The set. It seems like being on a wes anderson set for a movie he didn't make yet

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The location was excellent and it was so nice to have a view...

The location was excellent and it was so nice to have a view of the river. Having two bathrooms was also great! The breakfast was enjoyable.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Great value for money

The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was great.

What you see is what you get. No hidden issues.

Very nice and clean room, excellent breakfast...

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Perfect location, Friendly staff, Excellent service, Great...

Room was a bit small

Perfect location, Friendly staff, Excellent service, Great view of the Rheine from the room.

SCHöN

Very Accessible

Great location at Cologne.

Great location at Cologne. Friendly staff, breakfast next to Rhein

Great location at Cologne.

Great location at Cologne. Friendly staff, nice breakfast next to Rhein

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Perfect location near river but very small room.

Room size

Location near river

Had an awesome stay.

Had an awesome stay. Good location. Good food. Good all round.

Good location and a good breakfast.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom in Hallway

Good location and a good breakfast.