Reviews of Hotel Lyskirchen 4 stars

Filzengraben 26-32, Altstadt-Sued, 50676 Cologne, Germany

#50 of 223 hotels in Cologne

As with our other hotel in Basel (the Schweizerhof) I cannot really come up with anything against this hotel - I had to ask for a pot of blueberries one morning at breakfast, but that was as bad as it ever became.

We were treated very well at this hotel. I booked a superior room but we were upgraded to a junior suite and, wow, was it great! The room was very comfortable and all it's facilities excellent. The breakfast was good as was the choice. The swimming pool and gym area were great and the hotel's location couldn't be bettered - exactly opposite the Jet d'Eau and we had to watch it every morning while taking breakfast- how we suffered! We travel by rail and the hotel was approximately an easy and enjoyable ten minutes walk. The staff were very friendly and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Standard Single Room

The swimming pool was a very good size for the location - and though slightly cold I had a lovely swim. The sauna wasn't switched on which was a slight disappointment. The bedroom was comfortable and very clean. I didn't have breakfast so can't comment. The common area at the entrance was slightly disappointing...a bit functional. Nice staff.

Parking and breakfast was far too expensive considering the amount spent on the room itself. The shower rail was broken,there was hair on the pillows from previous occupants. Also, the towels were dirty.

The location of the hotel was perfect and almost at the heart of köln. The hotel staff were friendly .

The noise coming every hour from the nearby church was very inconvenient. I recommend to use plugs during the early morning

The bed was comfortable. The room cleaned everyday. The staff was very friendly. We used free of charge swimming pool, however the water was cold to stay long.

Window view was poor. 15 minutes to the train station.

Bonus coffee and water were good. Nice facilities and swimming pool. Friendly staff(helped to check-out very quicky)

It will be perfect to have some special fares for loyal customers (more than 5 stays year by year) as price paid for this room are competitive with another hotels in same location with same stars and breakfast included.

Perfect location, perfect staff (helped with keeping booking updated, helped with changing room with one bed to room with separate beds by request), wonderful breakfasts, perfect location near Reihn river, nice swimming pool and very close to FIBO(KolnMesse). Too many restaurants and shops near hotel.

• Apartment

The swimming pool was very cold. Many guests just put a foot in and left. Room service/cleaning maids knocking on door before 9am both mornings

Excellent location and very clean room.

• Standard Single Room

The only thing I can think of is that the bed was a bit hard/ferm, but the fluffy duvet made up for it.

The pool was amazing. The rooms were so pretty and clean. The staff was helpful and the cleaning staff was so friendly and sweet, especially the woman from Thailand. The water guy was pure happiness to chat with. Everything was PERFECT.

- rude staff - dirty bathroom - if you take shower, be prepared to fload all bathroom - extremely overpriced - close to gay area, full of cinemas and shops dedicated to the subject - late check in ( 2 pm) and if you want it by 1 pm there is extra charge of 20 euro ! - you can check out by 12 am but service room will try to get in your room many times before that time and do not even knock at the door - breakfast ( not tried) cost 19 euro - no parking available - asked a thermometer cause i did not feel well and was replied rudely they are not apotheke

- internet connection stable but not very fast

Room without separate bathroom. Sink and shower was in room, near to bed. We have booked the room in November 2017, ask about late check out. Receptionist said that it's no possible. Internet Wi-Fi very slow, we can't normal work. Hotel very expensive, but service quality was really poor. No recommend.

Very comfortable bed.

To start, receptionist could be friendlier, since she works in customer service. Be ready to pay a lot money for the parking. We paid total of 30 EUR for staying 24 h in Cologne. Even though we paid 18 EUR for the hotel parking, we had to move our car to the another parking next day at 12 pm, because the parking was reserved for the guests who may came before the official check in time! (3 pm) So for 18 EUR per day they hotel does not allow you to stay at their parking for even 24 hours! Hotel looks ok but definitely not 4 stars. Rooms are very small however functional. Do not forget to place "don't disturb" tag on your day on the day of departure, if not, the cleaning lady may knock on your room at 9 am, (what we where told they do not have any info about which rooms are empty and which are full...) We did not try the 20 EUR breakfast, for much, much less you can eat in one of the nice Backerei or Cafe everywhere around.

Location. Old building but in good shape.

• Apartment

The €19.50 for breakfast is a bit steep for what you get. For families, the apartment was a bit non-family friendly. There was no elevator and we had to walk up 4 flights of steps with our kids and luggage. The apartments are in a separate building so each day for breakfast we had to get coats on just to go downstairs, outside and into another building for breakfast. With no place to leave our stroller, we also had to leave the stroller near the reception and go outside again and up the flights of stairs. With two kids (toddler and a baby) this was not super helpful.

Location is very good.

• Standard Single Room

breakfast was pricy so I picked up stuff in Lidl instead. Swimming pool was out of action but was not told this on check in.

my room was great - comfy bed, amazing shower, water, coffee machine. The location was within easy reach of the city centre but pretty quiet and the staff were all lovely

I didn't like that fact that the pool, gym, sauna were closed which is why I booked this. I also didn't like the fact that they didn't tell me this when I checked in. I also was incredibly offended when after trying to resolve this issue, the woman at the front desk reprimanded me for being upset that she never told me when I checked in and tried to make it my fault. I would NEVER in a million years recommend this place to ANYONE. Bad hotel, bad service, dirty!

There was nothing about this hotel that was likable. It was very misleading and I would not recommend this to anyone.

- I spent a little extra on this hotel to have a pool and sauna, only to find out that the sauna had an extra charge (not sure how much, but be aware) - The room felt smaller than the pictures showed

+ Great location. A few minutes walk to the main Heumarket area so not noisy + Very clean rooms & efficient staff

The washing and toilet facilities in the room were very ‘open’. A curtain to pull across for privacy when showering. An opaque door on toilet but could still be seen through. Had I known this I would not have booked this room also the cleaning staff appeared rather early each day to refresh room.

Room was clean, bed was comfortable, free pool was a bonus.Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel was situated for easy access to Christmas Markets.

At first we were a little bit surprised with the open shower right in the room, but for couples it's ok. (It has also curtain, but still). They don't have complimentary tooth pack. We forgot our toothpaste and they just suggested us to buy it in hotel. Usually in 4* hotel they give it for free, but it's not a big thing.

Nice hotel at the quite street. Nice and clean room, there is capsule coffee machine, comfortable bed with very soft blanket. Breakfast is very good. Also we enjoyed the pool, which was very warm. Most of the must-see places are just 5-20 minutes away. We stayed one night and were satisfied with the hotel.

• Standard Single Room

I wasn't able to use the complimentory wifi so I bought extra data from my provider in the Netherlands, however certain areas in the building insured that I had no service at all on my phone. My travel companion had the same and he even has a different phone provider. I approached the hotel manager about it upon checkout, not to complain about it, but rather to flag it to him before other guests complain, or even worse, don't complain about it and never come back. The manager's reaction was complete denial, "we just upgraded our wifi a week ago to be faster", "it must be your provider", "our wifi is free". I won't stay at this hotel again, not because I didn't have wifi, but because of the lack of acknowledgement when a guest has a legitimate complaint.

Good location and clean

There is a church right behind the hotel. Every day from 7am to 7pm, which means disturbance to sleep especially on weekends.

Location is within short walking distance to all amenities.

• Apartment

We had a apartment/room off the main hotel facing the street. With Your Own private entrance, It could get Quite noisy but nothing to severe, just the odd loud exhaust or siren screaming past. Wouldn't bother with breakfast, bit expensive.

The pool is great and the location of the hotel is perfect for discovering the city and relaxing in the evening. The pool could do with a rail for the kids to grab, as the bank is a good distance from water but great all the same.

Maybe could have used bigger towels on the floor in front of the shower. Due to the open floor plan the shower door swings out off the tiled area and onto the wood floor.

Beautiful rooms with really comfy beds. Unique bathroom layout in a tiny space made the room feel much bigger than it was. Located right across from the lindt chocolate museum!

Its a nice place, no complaints but expectations should be set - this is a not super high end hotel, just a nice business-style hotel.

Good quality hotel, nice location next to the river, absolutely no complaints.

• Standard Single Room

It is more a three-star hotel, despite it claims to be a 4 star one. Indeed the rooms are renovated and modern, totally non smoking. But they are small for a 4 star hotel. The free internet is there but at unacceptable speed, or you pay for a faster connection or you simply can't use it. The hotel claims the the speed is enough for basic needs, but the needs of today are much different from what it used to be some years ago, so the speed is absolutely insufficient. I can't say anything about the breakfast as at an outrageous price of 19,50€ I did not take it, you have better options outside. But it is not with the 200+€ that they ask for a night, even if there were exhibitions in town.

Position: Located at 5 minutes' walk from Heumarkt and at 10 minutes from the center, the position is fine. In 15 minutes you can be at Koln Messe. Had no problems with noise, nor from the repair works nor from the neighbours, good and quiet sleep

The staff were very efficient but I felt they could have been friendlier. Didn't ask if everything was ok with our stay or really show any pleasantries. Didn't affect the quality of my stay so I would still recommend the hotel but its the little things that make the stay that bit better.

Great location, lovely facilities.

Not too much ligth in the room during the nigth, nigth staff not too kind, but ok

It is in front of schokolademuseum, 24h recepcion, the bed its amazing

• Apartment

Breakfast for 19.80 EUR per person for kids age 12 + is extremely expensive! Roadworks early in the morning at 7 am, unable to sleep. Did complain and got 1 day parking for free which I consider a bit poor. Did not want to complain more but would have appreciated a more considerable commercial gesture. Staff at the reception was a bit grumpy on arrival, not the most helpful friendly type of welcome.

The location is perfect.

Building work going on outside room so scaffolding by window and builders working from 9am. Weren't warned about this by reception when we checked in. Car park very very difficult to get into - not sure if this was as a result of building work as only one of the 2 garage doors were opened and opening the other would have made it all much easier.

Large pool and also had gym Coffee maker with decent coffee and replaced every day in room Very close to city centre - ideal location for seeing Cologne.

Coffee machine in room a bit fiddly.

Nice location for Cologne Altstadt, clean, comfortable bed, very handy for trams across to Deutz, Messe, LanXess Arena. Close to bars, restaurants and clubs. Easy walk to the Dom. Very friendly staff, a well-run hotel. Would stay here again.

• Apartment

Having to carry our luggage up 3 flights of stairs. I would expect a porter for a 4 star hotel especially as there is no lift to the apartments part of the hotel.

Great location and facilities were lovely. Fantastic breakfast.

• Apartment

Only minor point was there was building work going on which the hotel did not tell us about prior to arrival. This woke me just one morning and the hotel resolved the matter quickly.

Excellent location near to the Rhine and the old town. Cathedral 10-15 mins walk away. Good sized indoor swimming pool. Staff very friendly and helpful. We stayed in an apartment (no lift just stairs but knew before booking). Apartment was well appointed and had plenty of space.

Wifi would drop you off and require signing in a lot, also crap. Breakfast was a rip-off and the “to-go” option which promised coffee as one of the things in the breakfast had no coffee. Church bells nearby never stop. Every day of the week we were there, from around 7am. The divider between the shower/bathroom and sleeping area, was not a wall, but a curtain.

Good location to nearby shops, restaurants, and markets, just not so much to the train station.

• Apartment

Parking at 18 euro a day was a bit expensive. Family apartment was 1 room, so might not suit everyone.

10 minute walk from old town. Located in a nice area. Friendly staff

It would have been nice to know in advance that extensive building work was happening to the outside of the hotel which prevented sleep past 8am for two days of my stay.

• Apartment

Didn't really affect us apart from being difficult to see the hotel's name when we arrived but the front of the property is being renovated

Clean and modern. Short walk to the main shopping street. Nice indoor pool area which we didn't use

• Standard Single Room

Hotel undergoing external renovations, I was given a room with a connecting doorway and the neighbors were noisy. No tourist information in english. Small bedroom. .

Good bathroom facility, good breakfast buffet

• Standard Single Room

No fridge in room (which would be practical if you want to buy your own breakfast instead of paying €20 for the breakfast offered by the hotel) Slow internet if you don't pay extra

Central but reasonably quiet location Clean and comfortable Amazing breakfast buffet, but very expensive

• Apartment

Would have wanted to be told when booking, that the hotel property was under renovation and there would be workers drilling and hammering after 8 am every working day. Was pleased with the big discount that I had when booking but understood why after my first morning.

Nice staff, great location

The hotel inside and the room were a bit warm.

The location is perfect for walks, right in the center in close tot the river. For cheap parking; there is also a 4,- Euro p/day parking two blocks away under a bridge (the Severinsbrucke bridge).

The hotel was unable to recommend a car hire firm, but that is really a very very minor detail as we managed to sort it for ourselves.

Our stay at this hotel was great: the staff very friendly (they even let me practice my rusty German!), the room comfortable and well kitted out, the breakfast very generous and delicious. To crown it all it had a swimming pool, open from 6am till 11 pm that hardly anyone used, except me, so it was like having my own private pool. The hotel is a pleasant and short walk from the main tram lines, the river and the centre of town. The hotel was undergoing a refurb so all the rooms were newly done.

We missed a fridge.

Nice and comfortable hotel in walking distance from old town citycenter and Lanxess arena. Quiet surroundings (apart from the church bell). We liked that there were a coffee/tea machine, comfortable chair with coffee table, a working desk /chair, comfortable beds and a safe. We also liked that we could open the window. Good cleaning

They charge 19.50€ pp for breakfast, too steep by anybodies standards I would think. Plenty of well priced restaurants around to choose from tho!

Fantastic Hotel, staff very helpful, lovely pool, perfectly situated, every other positive review I previously read definately lived up to the expectation. Fab.

Nothing really

The hotel is in the walking distance to the train station and the dome. The room was very comfortable. I didn't had the change to use the pool or the fitness center. The staff are very friendly.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Standard Single Room

In a single room the shower is really next to the bed, The hygiene paper smells a bit... ...don´t know why

The staff was really helpful, the gym and swimming pool are nice.

• Apartment

Free Wifi was very weak and a bit frustrating at times. We had the choice of paying for high speed but we didn't bother. Could do with a kettle for making tea, tho the coffee machine did also allow for tea sachets. 8 flights of stairs so not recommended for anyone with mobility restrictions.

We stayed in an apartment which is located beside the main hotel reception entrance. The apt was on the 4th floor, with no elevator, which we thought might be a problem, but it was fine. We were rewarded for the climb up with a huge room! A large King sized bed at one end and a large double sofa bed at the other. Lots of wardrobe and storage space, large bathroom, great shower, desk, table and chairs, complimentary mineral water, coffee machine, microwave, fridge. Tons of light, large balcony, great ventilation. Very quiet. We only heard birds and the bells of the Cathedral! Excellent, friendly and helpful staff who spoke perfect English. Great location by the river Rhine. Chocolate museum around the corner. 10 mins walk to Cathedral. Cafes and restaurants all nearby. Recommend Marco Polo for Pizza, rolls, coffee, cakes.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

As with every hotel they have you pay them at the end of the stay!!

With over 50 years experience of staying in hotels this hotel has the best pillows that you could hope for. The hotel is approx a 10 min walk to the centre of Cologne but is very quet

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Apartment

Didn't select breakfast, as expensive. 18 euros per night to park.

Modern, comfortable family suite, with spacious bathroom, and a well equipped mini-kitchen. Decent WIFI, friendly staff, and central location.

• Standard Single Room

Nothing, suited my requirements perfectly.

Excellent location near to city centre & central train station by walk along river. Clean & professionally run. Nice swimming pool.

Small choice in snack bar near reception, week wi-fi signal.

Perfect location, close to Kolnmesse and Dom, nice river shore. Perfect staff, ready to help on any questions. Clean and nice rooms.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Standard Single Room

The no of coffee and Tea sache was 1 each on checking in. This doesn't get replenished and needs to be paid for at reception. It is just inconvenient. Charge is only 1 euro/ sachet. going down to get it isn't convenient. This is a small thing but hotel should look at.

Location was in a nice quarter. Close to the river so great place to stay if you want to use the cruise tours.

• Standard Single Room

room was extra small with an extra small wc wich had a very noisy fan yht would stay on long after you turn the lights out.the bed was cramped between 2 walls with a very uncomfortable bedding so not much sleep.paid a fortune for a complete disappointment...

breakfast was nice .

I didn't like the double beds. They moved around a lot.

The chocolate museum is right across the street and so is public transportation which made it very easy to get around.

• Apartment

Car park a bit expensive,too tiny and no access to our apartment by elevator...

Great staff,Great Hotel,nice and clean.Nice city,clean Country.Love Cologne,Germany

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

the breakfast was overpriced. the food was fine but 8 or 9 euros would be more reasonable.

Staff was friendly and helpful and the location, near the river, is good for runners and walkers. not super charming location, but convenient

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

• Superior Single Room

Nothing to fault really.

Good central location with secure parking. Close to river and an easy walk into town. Swimming pool and spa facilities were excellent.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Booked a double bed but instead got twins beside it other.

Great comfy mattress, location about 10-15 min walk from the centre. Pool was great - big and no-one in!

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

The prices at the bar were very expensive, as was the hotel breakfast.

Excellent City Centre location. The staff were very friendly & the hotel was so much better than we had initially expected. The bed was extremely comfortable & the shower was HOT with amazing water pressure (such a blessing after some really awful hotels we stayed at the few days before) & all of the facilities were very modern and chic.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Standard Single Room

The Internet connection wasn't always the greatest. Not bad, but not great either.

The location was great. Located in the Old Town, where lots of shops, restaurants, bars can be found.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

It's a little bit away from the center of town. Not bad, but a longer walk than other places I like in Cologne.

Comfortable bed, clean room. Very nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

• Apartment

The kitchen utensils were a bit lacking but nothing that couldn't be overcome with creativity

The staff were very helpful the hotel clean and the pool and sauna very nice.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Shower in the middle of the room with just a curtain for privacy. Not a great thing when you are traveling with friends, no privacy at all.

location, location, location

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

• Standard Single Room

The toilet flush stopped working both evenings and the water in the toilet was running throughout the night... that said, the hotel acted quickly to fix this after I reported it

The bed was extra comfy and I also liked that the hotel provided designer sample aftershave in the bathroom (lovely touch!)

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

The wc was dirty and the ventilation in this separate wc room didn't work.

The location. This Hotel is very confortable and has good beds. The shower was excellent.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Standard Single Room

Quite noisy, door banging at all hours. Couldn't open my window as small group of residents congregate outside Hotel front door and smoke which wafts up. Drunk lads ' actually grown men' in their late 30's/ 40's shouting and swearing drunk in hall way at 4AM - had it not been for this would have been almost perfect.

Great location, nice staff and very clean.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

The staff was nice but some off them were only "correct"in an small Hotel this makes the different. Room was nice,comfortable and clean but Toilette had spots.No dirt spots but already time to change marks. Coffee machine in the room seems to be broken,instead of going immediately to fix it they started to question what i did .This is not a correct behavior in an 4 star Hotel.

The breakfast room is cozy and you can order a big or a small breakfast.This was very nice.The staff was very friendly and helpful. Also the housekeeping staff was friendly and the place is very clean.It is a good location,walking distance to the Rhein ,shopping area and metro station.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• Apartment

They advertise as a spa hotel, but this is not a spa hotel. The water in the swimming pool was so cold that it was impossible to swim there. The staff said they would call a handyman to repair it, but nothing happened. In addition to that, they charge the use of sauna!?! I would never recoomend this hotel as a spa hotel.

The location and the room size

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

The rooms were really small and I am not really used to having a bath with no lock on their glass doors! Not a very private bathing experience...

Nice stay. Clean. Great value for money. Great location as well.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Apartment

Nice Hotel in a good location. Close enough to area attractions, restaurants and places of interest. This was a quiet safe area. The room was compact, nicely updated, functional and comfortable. The facilities are good. There's a small pool that i didn't use, but it looked clean and refreshing. There is also a small exercise room with exercise equipment. All looked clean. Breakfast was not included in my rate and i thought the cost was a bit expensive for especially for breakfast, but i ate breakfast there one day. The Freshness, selection and variety of food was good. Staff were nice friendly enough and helpful. The manager was very kind and helpful with my reservation. There was a little mix up and he personally resolved the booking issue.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Standard Single Room

the pillows too soft and a bit of musty smell which is offputting, a shower cap and slippers would be good for the rate . the rug was a bit dirty and the cleaning lady kept forgetting to stock up the coffee, milk and left dirty linen w spots unchanged... Front rooms to the street very loud ,especially if you want to open window evenings for fresh air

The bed was great, got a double for the price of a single despite exhibition. of course the rates are a bit high during exhibition but the room was very nice.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Even if it was a marathon weekend and many guests were runners, it was not possible to use the sauna during 12-15 o'clock, as the swimming pool area needs to be cleaned exactly at that time every day. No exceptions, not a very customer friendly attitude at the reception!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Standard Single Room

The staff is not always friendly, especially Frau S.S. at the reception. The room was not cleaned properly - hair was left on the floor and walls from the previous inhabitants. The pool is a bit cold, but nice to have this option.

Very Good location. Relatively spacious room. Excellent mattress. The breakfast is very good but expensive.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

I saw some hair on bathroom floor from previous people and some dust under the bed.

It was quiet and peaceful, we had a good night sleep. The breakfast was really good with wide range of rolls, pastries and salamis. The location is also good, just right in town center.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Apartment

No lift at the apartment house.

We slept at the apartment house, located next-door to the hotel itself. The room was huge, with a fully equipped kitchenette. The staff were very friendly. The hotel is perfectly located - a few minutes walk from the river and from the shopping area. A new bottle of mineral water in the room every day was a nice touch!

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

I was put in a ground floor room with no air-con - the booking said that the room would have air-con. I had to ask to be moved (after I had connected the 'phone cable to the 'phone so that I could actually call reception). The room on the second floor of the hotel I was moved to had some rather weak air-con, but, thankfully, there was a door onto a kind of balcony that I was able to keep open all night. The mini-bar fridge in the second room was switched on, but it was empty and had the internal rack lying diagonally across it top to bottom. I wrote down my company name on the registration form on arrival and said that I needed it to be on the final receipt, but it wasn't added.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Bed comfortable and bathroom adequate. WiFi worked well.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Apartment

Not sure if other rooms offer a shower, but ours was only a bathtub with a showerhead and we have yet to get used to this. Restroom and entire room was clean though.

Perfect location!

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Apartment

The space in the car park was very tight, parking spaces were difficult to manoeuvre into and the ramp up and out of the car park incredibly steep, with little space to pick up any speed in order to drive up it. I had booked car parking through booking.com and this was included in the price in my booking confirmation, however, on checking out at reception they insisted that I had to pay for parking again for 2 nights (at another €17 per night) and added it onto my bill again! There was little I could do, but pay it and this made me very cross. Although the kitchenette was good, there was no cutlery, pans, kettle or toaster and I had to request these at reception, and when I did so I was told it was not included in my booking, which seemed very strange. Also the dishwasher switch was broken, so I could not even switch the dishwasher on.

Apartment very nice and clean, but beds quite uncomfortable. Kitchenette was good in that it had a hob, microwave, dishwasher and Tassimo coffee maker. Location was excellent for walking into Cologne Centre and the Cathedral. Swimming pool facitilities were fantastic. The pool was very clean and well maintained, with good shower facilities and a good supply of clean towels.

Browse Hotel Lyskirchen traveller photo gallery