Reviews of ibis Aachen Hauptbahnhof 2 stars

Zollernstr. 2, 52070 Aachen, Germany

#30 of 41 hotels in Aachen

Based on 1955 hotel reviews

Bath/shower difficult tp get in and especially out of!

This is a comfortable, conveninet place to overnight when going further in Germany. I have been staying for years and always found it good.

- Small parking, but all in all OK - There is a weird smell in the hallways, however it's all fine in the rooms. - Employees did not warn us that it was a national holiday in Germany, so we walked a lot just to find out that everything was closed...

- Great price - Location is good - Friendly employees The bathroom is small, but it doesn't bother us. For this price that's totally OK.

Hotel operates in an inflexible manner and is somewhat customer unfriendly. Breakfast must be paid before being abailable-no exceptions apparantly.

Good parking facilities at a reasonable price. Breakfast is very good and the waffle station is fun to use. I requested a room with a bath and the staff were very happy to oblige. Thank you.

Noise in the room even though window is closed at night due to the building beside the main road. I requested for a quiet room but I think they don't have any quiet room. The bed foam becomes warm at night. The TV in the room was not working. The lift from parking to room was not working.

Location was walking distance to center. Parking facility was good and reasonable price.

Due to location, it can get slightly noisy. As we stayed only for 1 night, it wasn't too bad a situation though.

Quick check in process, and availability of parking

We asked for a handicap room. Had to pay 20€ xtra for a room with a tub. Thier was no electricity plug next to the bed, for my breathing machine. Had to go get extension cord. The elevator from the basement to the lobby was out of order, had to take the stairs. Not even a free coffee in the morning, (sad), 20€ xtra for a bath tub and you can't spring for the morning coffee. While driving around Aachen we seen a Hamptons by Hilton, checked it out as far as price goes, just that bit more, but I'm sure it will be of more value. Hope this will help you, help others. Rudy De Bie

There is no provision for drinking water and for making tea/coffee. This is now a standard.

Location is very good.it is quite hotel. Staff was friendly.

No coffee or kettle in room, Pillows not great , uncomfortable .

We were up graded because Internet site, did not pass on info we wanted bed for our 4 year old ?? , upgraded free of charge, Breakfast choice great. This hotel should be a higher star.

We had to pay extra for a parking place and the alternative of parking on the street is quite difficult. The room equipment could be much better, the quality of the room resembles more to the quality of ibis budget hotels.

Kind stuff and quite good price-value ratio.

Ibid is known for the small rooms, and this one is no different. But as expected

It's a great location, close to the train station and walking distance to the old centre.

Very poor Wi-Fi. Should warn in advance that the parking is extra. Should warn in advance that the breakfast is extra.

Great breakfast, very nice staff working in the breakfast room.

Smoking and non-smoking rooms in the same floor. Sound-proofing of walls is non-existent, you can hear everything from the corridor or other rooms. People smoking marijuana and the smell spreading in the corridor. I know, not related to the hotel, but smoking in hotels should be banned anyhow...

Location is perfect to explore the city of Charlemagne

• Apartment

Only problem was the bath in the apartment was leaking there was no way to keep the water from draining.

The breakfast is the best I’ve ever had at any hotel and I’ve been to a lot of hotels in my time, when I laid in the bed It just about knocked me straight to sleep it was so comfy. The location is so perfect, beautiful walk down theatre street to the centre.

It said that there was 24/7 service to order sandwiches, but when asked did not have it. But the bar staff offered us some breakfast items at no extra cost. Bathroom too tight

Close to central train station. Easy access to public transportation. Parking on site. Pets allowed with additional cost.

The Hotel is very good postion, It is situated just 5-10 minutes from town center and 20 min by walk from Eurogress. "bad part of it; it is on an angle of cross road so the first floor it a bit noisy only during traffic jam. After 21:0 the traffic jam is over and it is calm . What cna be improved? as There are laws in germany which does not allow car enter in the city, or there isa special tax or stamp to be bought. It can could be an agreement between City hall and hotel that tourist coming with car will pay that tax directly at hotel. regards Massimiliano

They gave me a smoking room and I did not ask for this. As I was late arrival, there was no alternative. I m kind of sensitive for polution, I had a very bad night. In the morning reception told me that I should just indicate it in reservarion. But I just booked a normal standard room, not smoking room. In the morning I found a dirty creature on the floor, kind beatle that live from human blood... so I would definately not recommend this place to stay!

Staff rude, bored, not helpful at all. Weak wifi, very cold room, smelly room. Worse than other Ibis Hotels...

Like every Ibis you know what you get for your money...

Rooms are quite noisy even on the upper floors, since the hotel is just in front of a large street. Would be good to provide the rooms with one or two bottles of water.

Good wifi Closed car park Breakfast is nice

1. Single layer glass in winter with -10°C (14°F) in the street makes the bathroom quite cold when you step out of the shower... because heating has timed out. 2. One light was stubbornly out. 3. The sofa / suitcase support being hidden by the desk, so impossible to sit / put your suitcase on half of it.

1. Having travelled alone, I appreciated the possibility to have my double bedroom changed at the last moment into single big bedroom. 2. The Ibis promise : you will sleep well, and yes, I have slept very well. 3. The 24/7 bar is also nice, after a long journey or long day at work.

• Apartment

There was an emergency during our stay. The emergency announcements came on, there was no indication about where we should gather etc. When we finally got out and found that there was not a physical fire, we were in the reception area for about two hours, with no information for people who do not speak German! For a hotel so close to the Bahnhof and the city of Aachen, I consider that quite unacceptable. No one said a word to us, yet we had paid like everyone else and on average, spent more time than most people.

The quiet room was quiet, the location was perfect

The room and bathroom are a bit on the small side. We more or less visit Aachen every year and stay at Ibis. When we are allocated a bigger room it makes a big difference to our stay. We will stay there again on our next visit.

The bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. The receptions were nice but not very helpful in giving information about the city, the thermes and what was going on during the Carnival festivities. Would have appreciated a bit more effort in giving out information.

The location is excellent, very close to the statio but also only a 10-15 minutes walk to the historic centre (and 20 minutes to the Carolus Thermes). The bedroom and the bathroom are both very spacious, and the bed is very comfortable.

The room that I received had really bad cigarette smoke smell although I have asked for a non smoking room. So I had to ask for another room and I got the disabled room which was better. But the personell was not at all friendly.

Small yet spotlessly clean rooms, with a nice comfortable bed. Really friendly and welcoming staff. Not the widest breakfast range but plenty to eat, and with a hot selection; I never go hungry!. The small bar serves light meals in the evening, so I never need to go looking for a restaurant if I don't want to. I have stayed at this hotel in Aachen many times because a consistent level of good quality service is maintained.

This was very close to the train station which is why I picked it, but there did not seem to be any nearby restaurants and the hotel had a very limited menu - paninni only! However this was acceptable and I slept very well in the comfortable bed. The room and bathroom were very clean. Breakfast in the morning was full of delicious choices.

• Apartment

I got woken up twice one night saying that the person in the next room said I was disturbing her with my music and I had no music on. I did not appreciate that at all!

The fact that I could get a quiet room and the central location

Been here before but got a room with a very small bathroom this time.(Rm 237).

Good value for money. 15min walk to Aachen city center. Clean room and friendly staff and late check is no problem. Parking is easy in garage but not included in price of room.

Our late arrival to the hotel was slightly overshadowed by the fact that my room reservation via the booking.com service didn't come to hotel's system, so they could not see the confirmation. There was a moment when I wondered whether we would have a room eventually. The only disappointment was a restaurant - the coffee was not very delicious, and on the second day there were no pancakes left.

What I love in the Ibis hotels is that, despite the cheapness and the limited facilities, I am confident that I can expect a renovated room, having everything necessary and in more or less fresh condition. Very cheap private parking (about 5 euros/day) was pleasing. The staff was most friendly and helpful to all requests. I thisnk it's a best option for its value.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

The room size was small and bathroom specially very small I hardly have chance to sit properly on the toilet.... Reception desk service did not informed me I need to take a coin with me down the garage in order to open the gate. I have had to return from the garage to hotel reception desk to get the coin. Widows were dirty. Parking space in the garage very very tide.

Breakfast is realy good and service at the bar is very helpful. Location was good, about 1,5 km away from the Catedral and main street.

Breakfast 11 Euro, no cups, rolls everything depleted and only one person seemed to be clearing tables and topping up. Had to keep waiting for cups plates bread. Very poor and very expensive. Only paid £8.95 at ibis in thurrock and much better. Drinks very expensive. Paid 3.90 Euro for a shandy when a beer was 3. ??? No room in bar area had to sit in restaurant for a drink.

No toast at breakfast, no jug to make a cup of tea. Bed was lumpy and uncomfortable. Bathroom very small, had to sit sideways on toilet, as it was so close to the wall

The staff were lovely and it is close to the railway station.

Not much

The staff were very accomodating, and the breakast is a very good spread of fresh food. Location is great, for being near station, near the city centre, and also 5 mins the other way from Exil and DuMont, which are really worth checking out

Small rooms, door to entry to hotel is heavy.

Free luggage storage if you are going to go to other city. Hotel has very good location if you arrive by train.

My wife and I greatly enjoyed our stay in Aachen. The hotel was very nice. It was close to the train station and to the Cathedral and other sights. The breakfast was excellent.

Building doors are not suitable for wheelchair. Rooms is so basic, that it doesn't ecen have a trash bin. It could have been cleaner.

Location Friendly staff

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but we did order a toasted sandwich each on our first night and sadly these took half an hour to reach us. Staff was very apologetic and gave me a free drink, but as we were hungry, it didn't give a very good impression, especially as we were the only people ordering food and the bar was not busy.

We had an enjoyable stay. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was good and the location was great - an easy walk to the train station and to the city centre.

Very small room, especially bathroom but adequate for our needs. Tea and coffee making facilities would have been a welcome facility but unfortunately there were none. Room too warm at night with no decent air conditioning.

Good location not far from the old town and train station

Very helpful and friendly staff. Secure garage for our motorbike. Central location near shops and supermarkets. Good variety for breakfast - Fresh waffles were amazing!

Very cramped room with a bathroom that was more like an aircraft toilet than hotel standard. Also the bar advertised a limited range of food and the literature in the rooms provided the menu. However most items were not available and no reason was offered - just a polite shrug. There are not too many nearby eatinf establishments so this was inconvernient as well as false advertising.

A clean room and a location near enough the Cathedral for those wishing to visit

Bath room shower had an obvious dark spot of mold or mildew in the grout between the tiles. It needs to be cleaned with a brush and disinfectant or mildew remover like 'Clorox' bleach. Because of the mildew we did not take a shower.

The staff was courteous. Overall a good hotel. Room was pretty clean and the bed was good.

Room was too small and too simple,quite expresive for how it looked like. NO heating when12 degrees outside during the day. We received an electric ventilator but we had to stop it during the night and it was cold.

15 minutes walking to the city centre Good breakfast,but for 11 euro/person

The website advertised that parking is available, but did not say that it costs 7 euros a night. On 2 occasions when we returned to the hotel after 11.00 pm, the hotel tried to shut us out of the carpark because it was full! Very old air conditioner - v. noisy, but puts out very little cold air.

Good location. Clean facilities.

Good standard typical budget priced hotel. Provides all creature comforts at basic level. Clean and with central location, close to railway station and town centre.

There was a little bit of street noise, but it is a city centre hotel!

The breakfast buffet was refreshingly different - you can make your own waffles or porridge. Helpfulness of staff. Free fruit!

Soundproofing is not so good. Towels and furniture look old.

The location is perfect, close to Central station and to the city center. Rooms are clean and fresh. Personnel is very helpful, polite and caring about guest's needs. At breakfast there is a good variety of choices: healthy food (smoothies, juices, oats, chia seeds...), as well as traditional ham & cheese, everything is fresh.

Bathroom too small if you are a larger person wouldn't have got in it had to sit sideways on toilet as was so close to wall. Was unpressed with bar staff as I paid for drinks as I purchased them and then was charged again for two drinks I had already paid for.

Hotel was nice most of staff very helpful good selection for brekfast

Parkinggarage looks very odd with those lifts. Not very inviting entrance via the parking garage. At night when we came back we had to call te hotel before someone opened the nightdoor.

The room is rather small, and the bathroom is just tiny... but it is all very clean, so if you wan to enjoy Aachen and you are in the hotel only to sleep - no reason to complain.

If you need to stay close to the train station - this is the place for you. I had my train at 5.51 am, so it was the best location for me, only 4 min walk from the station. Even better - breakfast is served starting at 4.00 am, so I could grab some food just before I left!

It was very noisy, too much traffic on road, impossible to sleep. Also when I booked it showed me 11km where I was. When I start driving it was 40km. So it's not first time about distance, I never spoke before about this but there are lots of lies in this website. I am not happy at all.

• Apartment

It's a budget hotel - extra comforts are not included.

Great location, fantastic staff, great price! In particular, I liked how absolutely unproblematic it was to get a toddler bed into the room.

When we arrived back at the hotel after a long day, the staff member was incredibly condescending and accused us of losing one of the hotel's luggage storage cards (he claimed we had been given two cards for our two bags, but we were only given one). He even threatened to withhold our extra bag from us, but settled for giving us a stern lecture.

The price is obviously a deal and the room was small but clean. The staff members we checked-in with was friendly and very helpful. Even though we do not know German, she told us valuable information and volunteered to store our luggage in a secure room since we had arrived early and our room was not ready yet.

We got a really small room. The window would open completely, which is quite inconvenient on hot days. Not a very good value for the money. I've been to ibis Budget hotels that were cheaper and more comfortable.

Very close to the train station, with very good public transportation possibilities. Staff was very nice and helpful.

• Apartment

5 minutes to Hbf, but a bit far to city center considering summer days.

Everything is fine. The air conditioner works well in summer. Rooms facing to the street is noisy if the windows are open. There is no noise if keep windows closed. Check in and check out are fast and staff are friendly and welcome.

The cleaning lady came every morning at 8:30 and knocked the door... perhaps it was because i stayed at the 1st floor.

The bed was comfy. Close to the train station

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

I knew what I was getting into, but when I got to the Aachen HBH found that there were two Ibis in Aachen and the other one was closer to the station, was it better?

I have previously stayed at Ibis hotels in Normandy, France so I knew that the premises would be rather spartan and short in space but it fitted my requirements. The hotel is within walking distance of the HBH and also the historic centre of Aachen. The minimilist food and bar facilities were appreciated.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

bathroom is a little bit too small

near Hbf, easy to travel especially by train. Kiosk across the street was open at 1am, which was extremely great when I wanted something to drink

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

One of the lifts was always out of order and the main doors of the hotel are tricky to navigate with luggage.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The central location is ideal for business travel as there are great transport links to other parts of Aachen.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Rooms & Bathrooms are very small... Especially bathroom... It is a challenge to do "basics" in it. I visited lot of hotels in several cities in Germany, therefore I can say this is not the most clever choice "value for money". On the other hand, everything was clean, location is great.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Its an Ibis. It serves very well as an overnight or short stay hotel. Never yet been let down by Ibis-OK the rooms are small,but the shower/toilet is fine,the T V is OK,the Wifi was good,the bed was comfy and the room was clean and v.quiet-and it cost about £50 for the night. 5 minutes easy walk to Aachen main Railway station. Excellent shop/takeaway at station-Yormas. I was satisfied,did you guess that?

The breakfast was nothing to write home about, but there are quite a few great bakeries near by so that should not be a problem.

I like the location, very close to the main railstation and citycenter. The room was inexpensive so I didn't have high expectations, but it had good beds, and all you would expect. A bit tight but comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and if you are on a relatively tight budget, this is great bang for the buck.

Rooms are very small, the internet connection is slow and the breakfast is overpriced (11 euros per person)

The staff was always helpful and well trained

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

the size of the room was a tad too small but we knew that in advance.

the location is superb. about 10 min from the city centre. it is cheap and the bed is very good and comfortable.

The receptionist man (didn't get his name) was not friendly.

The receptionist lady Sarah was extremely friendly. The location and the room were all good.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

The hotel offering was very cheap, the hotel is just at walking distance, we used however our own bikes, what is more handsome, also to discover the rest of the city and area. The parking under the hotel was good

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Its location is excellent - I went to the Christmas market in Aachen and my elderly mother could easily walk from the hotel to the centre. Very efficient and friendly staff; cheap parking; no noise from the street in spite of being located on a busy crossroads next to the train station. Very affordable.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

• Apartment

In general our stay was good, but: On our arrival the room was cold because a window was left open, and it was December.. We had to push very hard the door to close it. The hotel looked to me a bit understaffed: just one person (always kind) at the reception and we had to wait anytime. The bells of the nearby church woke us up at 8 am everyday.. Expensive, but in line with other hotels in December.

The room was big and exactly the same as the picture we saw upon reservation. Good position, 5 minutes from the station and close to the old town. Good idea to offer apples in reception, it was appreciated!

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

A very good city centre budget hotel. It was an 8 minute walk from Aachen hbf and easy to find. My room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Plenty of hot water for showering, and a small - but well equipped bathroom. Friendly and helpful staff too. Great for a long weekend stay.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Nothing fancy but it is what you can expect from this kind of hotel. Therefore, it's a good deal.

Nice hotel close to the station. The room was ok even so a bit tiny. Ideal for a short stay. The city center is nearby.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Room lock didn't work properly, I couldn't get into the room from the first attempt

A very friendly guy at the reception, who helped my with my room key

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Nothing. Perfect for a business trip.

The staff were friendly and spoke English. Although the breakfast is pricey at €11, there is a lot of it. Great location, close to Aachen centre and on bus routes.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

All the staff were extremely rude.Not a good experience at all with the hotel staff.It would be very helpful if there were tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms

THe rooms are quite spacious.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Shower place has mold everywhere. Room was full of dust. I requested a room change. The new one was not any better. Both the rooms has mold in the shower area. Not a little bit, but in considerable proportions. For the money, one pays, I guess there are better options.

The staff were friendly. Good location.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Unable to connect my tablet to the free wifi, though my phone was fine?

Excellent maid service and breakfasts..Staff always available and totally helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Not many dining options close to the hotel, but the city center is a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel.

Clean and efficient, and fairly close to the train station. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

City map was a very poor photocopy & difficult to read

Sarah booked us in - we were early but she was very helpful with information & assistance

Browse ibis Aachen Hauptbahnhof traveller photo gallery