Reviews of Hotel Klosterhotel Ludwig der Bayer This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Kaiser Ludwig Platz 10 - 12, 82488 Ettal, Germany

#1 of 8 hotels in Ettal

This is a little long but we were seriously dissatisfied. We arrived at 14.15 and were told that the room was ready. We went to the room and it had not been cleaned from previous occupant. We returned to reception who said "yes but you could leave your bags in the room and it will be cleaned later" as if this were normal. On enquiry we were told that it would be 1 1/2 hours before it would be cleaned. The food in the restaurant (half-board) was awful. On being seated we were told that we would be served salad and to take soup from the urn. The soup urn was empty and was only partly refilled when the table next to us complained. The salad only arrived after a long wait and asking twice (the table next to us walked out). The main courses were a choice of cold meats with bread, a vegetarian dish which was bulgur wheat with mozarrella which I thought was a side dish, some dry looking fish and some boiled beef that was served with plain boiled potatoes and stewed veg. It put me in mind of a 1970's English school canteen but not as appealing. We took the beef which was almost tasteless. Probably the worst hotel dinner I have eaten anywhere. We had to wait to be seated at breakfast but apart from that the buffet was adequate.

Room was large and comfortable.

Unfortunately I was there on business and did not have the time to experience the area’s historic sites. However, the property is very well located in the foothills of the Alps. All around it is a beautiful property with very friendly staff. I highly recommend!

I was traveling with a colleague of mine and we wrongly left the towel in the sauna (advices in German language only). When we asked the staff for a fresh one they refused to give it to us!

Not much to do in the evening. The spa is quit poor and closes at 21:00, would be nice to be able to go there after dinner. In our room the bed had two single mattresses put together which were constantly moving apart. Why not put one double mattress?

This hotel is located in Ettal, 15 min drive from Garmisch-Partenkirchen and 30 min drive to Zugspitze (when there is no traffic), with beautiful scenery around it. Breakfast was really nice, and the rooms and hotel were clean. It has a good restaurant that serves traditional German food, and a bar with great beer, too bad there is no music at the bar so you just sit there in silence drinking your beer. The free parking was convenient and big.

The music playing on the bar & restaurant didn't add much to the ambiance.

Beautiful building, beautiful interiors, elegant, relaxing, unpretentious, delightful hotel, across the street from a stunning Benedictine Abbey, on a small village street.

The restaurant was in my view too heavy meals. More vegetables (not over-cooked) would help

I was there for cross-country skiing - and it was brilliantly placed! The breakfast was good choices in muesli, fruits and other.

We booked the hotel because of the options for wellness treatments we even received discount vouchers at arrival but we where not able to get any time for treatments (skiing from 9-16 !!).

Friendly staff, nice big rooms and god breakfast (missed fresh orange juice)

N/a

As a mom of a young child and into health and go fitness I love having a kitchen/kitchenette available when I travel so I am always covered with food and beverages. I truly loved this hotel. The only thing I suggest is having some dumbbells in the fitness room. That would be perfect! Other than that everything was GREAT

Our rooms were immaculate. Breakfast was very very good. Croissants were seriously amazingly, delicious. Schweinbraten for dinner was outstanding. The wait service was excellent. The folks at the front desk were incredibly helpful and informative. Pool was lovely and immaculate. Would definitely return. P.S. convenient parking

Nowhere decent to eat in Ettal except the Hotel Restaurant. Great for breakfast but it is not highly recommended for dinner. Some staff were rude as our German was not fluent.

Benedictine monastery is fabulous.

Everything! Luxurious hotel in a great location! Food and beer is fantastic. Set in a hundreds of years old, still working monastery where the monks brew their world famous beer and many different liquers as well.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

I honestly can't think of thing this hotel needs to improve.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel and its staff. We stayed for the last two nights of a two week journey through Bavaria. The room was spacious, spotlessly clean, well appointed and the staff unbelievably attentive. The on-site restaurants (there are three) offer a delightful variety of foods all of which were exceedingly well prepared and more than ample in their portions. The included breakfast was simply the best we saw during our trip. The property boasts every amenity one could think of - indoor pool and whirlpool, spa, quiet room, steam and sauna. The view of the mountains from our balcony (beautifully decorated with flowers) was breathtaking. The hotel also sports a playground for children, recreational space for pets and makes the words "family friendly" seem inadequate. Ample hiking, biking and walking trails abound in this beautiful part of Bavaria The town of Ettal is a true hidden gem. My wife and I both agreed that if we had our trip to do over, we would make this hotel our base.

Restaurant staff seemed stressed and working hard. We were there during holiday weekend.

Beautiful and historic building, quite large resort in Bavaria.

We were directed to an elevator that required stairs that we had to lug our suitcases down, when there was another elevator available. The room was plain and my husband kept hitting his head on the slanted ceiling. We were supposed to have a sofa but had a roll away bed instead.

The location was great. I really felt welcomed by the staff. Our dinner table was reserved and included a welcome sign with our name.

Extremely cold water in hotel's pool, small spa area, a bit worn furniture and equipment.

Good breakfast, perfect cleaning service (even washed up the dishes), spacious room (apartment), perfect location.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

The staff is fully unprofessional. I ordered a box of champagne from German company with a delivery on my name to the reception of the hotel. The parcel was delivered by DHL. Beside that I called to the reception that I would be a guest of the hotel and that I was waiting the delivery. When the DHL delivered my order the lady from reception refused to take my order and said that I was not working in the reception of the hotel. DHL returned my order back to the sender. It was a real mistake of the hotel - they didn't informed their colleagues about my call. I asked to send my order urgently once more and hotel refused to cover my expenses despite of their fault. I will never stay at that hotel. Their staff and management are not honest people.

The location is good, the building looks rather nice

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

It is 50 miles from Munich city center but there is a motorway most of the way. There were no snacks or a fridge in my room. The shower cubicle was small but you can still enjoy a good hot shower. You will need to have a car to get to this hotel and to move around.

Warm and very professional reception - arrived at the hotel around 03:30 hours and they still made arrangement for my keys, was very late for breakfast but the lady in charge made me a special breakfast. They have heated external car parking for the extreme cold weather, the room was very warm and comfortable and wi-fi was excellent. Heard that they have a very good traditional German restaurent. It was lovely to see the snow covered hills from my room - will definitely visit again. Charming place.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

On my first day there I made a booking at the reception desk for myself and two family members to have our evening meal at the restaurant that night but when we turned up for our meal we were told at the restaurant that they had no record of the booking. This should not have happened but luckily the situation was quickly rectified by one particular waiter who managed to sort out the problem in what was a very busy and full restaurant

Pleasant Hotel to stay in. It has a very nice ambience and attractive decor. The room I was in was modern and very clean. The breakfasts were fantastic. This hotel has a very good restaurant with deliciously prepared food.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

A waiter at the restaurant was very rude. He slammed the menus on the table when approaching our table and became very angry when we attempted to pay our bill in Euro coins (it was our last day in Europe and we had very few “paper” Euros remaining. The bill was less than 6 Euros). The hotel and staff were excellent other than that. Unfortunately, an angry outburst from an employee can leave a lasting impression on an otherwise idyllic facility. I would recommend this facility, but the waiter needs training on customer service and anger management.

Excellent hotel and location.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

It would have been nicer to have a microwave oven in the kitchen. But really - no major complaints!

The friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the facility were impeccable. The indoor pool was warm with towels and robes provided in the rooms. The double bedded room with a kitchen and stove was very nice. The single bedded room (no kitchen) was also very nice. The hot tub near the pool was also very clean and enjoyable. Well marked hiking trails were very near and quite beautiful to walk. The location, directly across from the beautiful old Abbey Church was perfect.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

Located in a quiet area, the hotel is a perfect place for your holiday. Opposite to the Ettal Kloster, which has a long history and reputation. Food in the hotel restaurant is more than good. Above all, we enjoyed ourselves very much staying here.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

They assign you seats during breakfast. One morning I was seated at a big table by myself, and then they sat a couple right next to me. There were single table available. It was very awkward.

Great weekend escape.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

As the hotel is right on the Alpine Road, roadside rooms can be noisy with the windows open, especially in the summer.

Great location across the street from Ettal Abbey. Close to Linderhof, Oberammergau, hiking, etc. The amenities at the hotel are also nice with a pool, spa, restaurant, biergarten and more.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Spotless, comfortable room, pleasant staff, nicely located to visit the Kloster, Oberammergau, Garmisch,and Mittenwald. Very lovely area. This is the 5th or 6th year in a row I have stayed at this hotel when visiting this area of the world.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

Everything was just perfect. This was our second visit to this hotel and I´m sure not last. Staff was nice, room was very clean and food in a restaurant was very good. Very nice place to hiking and relaxing in a wonderful mountain area.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

some awkwardness with restaurant staff regarding dinner arrangements, but was soon clarified, things just got lost in translation.

Lovely location and hotel. We stayed in a spacious refurbished room with balcony and mountain views. Lovely swimming pool and spa, hot rooms a little small but not busy during our stay. Perfect for walking, cycling and touring of this beautiful area

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

The restaurant was a bit busy and took a while for our order to be taken but the food was excellent.

A very well run hotel, clean and good level of facilities - pool sauna etc. The best thing was the bowling alley - not very well advertised but we enquired as to using and were allowed a good hour for €10 - we had the alley entirely to ourselves.

Amazing location

Amazing location, free parking and great beer.

Location, service,staff. Everything was perfect.

I found it a bit difficult to communicate in English with the staff (the waitress)

Didn't like is not the correct expression, but my room was at the street side and in the morning you could hear the noise from the traffic.

Every thing was excellent: the room , the breakfast, the staff and the parking. Very clean and quiet. Good place for endless tours in the area.

Great location right across from the Abbey. Nice room with great view. Pool was great to relax in after a long day of travelling!

It was realy fantastic hotel.. very clean, wonderful staff, more than comfortable..

True 5 Star!

Lovely village with this hotel bang in the middle

Wi-fi didn't work

Staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was great! Room very nice and location is beautiful.

Hotel location in very quiet village with nice backyard

Swim pool could be better

great options of restaurant and nice sauna

Check in is already organized , take a very short time to get a key card! No complicated and relexing stay, friendly and very good breakfast

Sauna and pool closed early!

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Service was not great. The staff seemed disinterested.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

location. Exceptional staff

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Fantastic breakfast. Friendly service. Amazing location.

Clean, comfortable, very nice and helpfull staff..excellent..

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Room did not have a refrigerator

Great Restaurant

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Spa area and a la carte menu food. The receptionists are very kind and much of a help

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Spacious room overlooking Ettal Abbey

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

The front desk staff was rude!

Amazing breakfast included!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Extremely good restaurant

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Convenient location for day trips in the region.Our room was very comfortable. Excellent breakfast presentation.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Location location location Area is very calm and comfort

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

air conditioning..i’m an american :)

loved the breakfast buffet and the rooms were lovely and not tiny...

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Staff were extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

The additional third bed was a not comfortable sofa bed

Quiet location and free parking. Breakfast and restaurant very good.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Two separate beds

Breakfast Location

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

The bed - to small

Large room with superb bathroom

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Superb building and location.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Nice place to have a rest and visit sight

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Great location, service and rooms, lobby and overall facilities. Comfortable parking

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Excellent! Many thanks for all services.

Beautiful view!!!

Linen changed daily

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

Excellent location. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were spacious and restaurant was the best food we had while in southern Germany.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

Noise from workers in the building behind the hotel until late at night.

Good location for day trips to the surrounding area. Excellent restaurant.

• Reviewed: 29 May 2016

We had an excellent stay in this most comfortable hotel. The staff were most friendly and helpful and the facilities were excellent. A very good breakfast with the most delicious croissants we have ever tasted. We can certainly recommend the hotel to everyone.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

The water in the pool could have been a little warmer. It was snowing outside, although it was almost May.

We stayed in a wonderful apartment, we had everything we needed there. Although we stayed in a different building, we had an indoor access to the pool. Great breakfast.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2016

Breakfast was a little expensive and there were no immediate other options in the area. The hallways had a certain smell that was weird, and you still had to carry suitcases down/up some stairs in the hallway, even though they had elevators to get to the different floors.

Beautiful setting and very clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2016

Noise outside hotel as some construction was going on. No Kettle , all tv channels were in German , except bbc ! it's 15 minutes drive to Garmisch center , so you better have a car . Breakfast was ok but not wow.

Room was specious. View from window was beautiful overlooking mountain. Car park facility behind hotel free of charge.

• Reviewed: 10 April 2016

One waiter was very rude and unfirendly at night and morning. The whipped cream we got for dinner was awful.

Nice location, good facilities, and good beer (Eteller).

• Reviewed: 18 February 2016

Nice place. Staff was polite, room cosy, cleaned. Sauna and swimming pool free of charges. we liked everything and would stay again. Breakfast is good.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2016

What I disliked that you did not have wifi in the room (only an extremely weak connection) and even when you had, you could only connect one device, when you connected another one the previous one was disconnected

Breakfast was really good, with a lot of vegetarian options (some vegan as well)

• Reviewed: 12 November 2015

Anyone who writes a negative review has exceptional imagination!

Wonderful hotel, all of the components at a very high level. Clean, comfortable, quiet, cozy, etc.

There are also 27 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.