Reviews of Mercure Hotel Köln City Friesenstraße 4 stars

Friesenstraße 44-48, Altstadt-Nord, 50670 Cologne, Germany

#92 of 223 hotels in Cologne

• Standard Single Room

The shower water took a long time to warm up and was difficult to regulate.

The hotel is in a great location, especially if you are there to party. Lots of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance.

On departing from the hotel, the receptionist ordered our group a taxi to the airport, he advised it was 35 euro, A black BMW arrived with no signage that it was a taxi and the receptionist told us to get in. the car. On arriving at the airport the taxi cost over 45 euro. If my parents didn't have that money what would have happened? If you advise a cost then that cost should remain not be increased especially with no explanation.

The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was kept immaculate.

• Standard Twin Room

Rooms were pretty warm, and opening the windows let in the noise. Wasn't a massive issue, just a small inconvenience.

Staff were helpful and friendly Facilities were great for the price paid.

Check-in lady suggested that my partner was a rent boy and refused to apologise when requested to do so. Completely unacceptable, especially at an Accor hotel.

The bathtub was a little bit clogged and I had some problems with a shower (not critical).

Stayed in the hotel for 4 days. The hotel is well situated in a quiet place, close to the city center, shops, markets, etc. Breakfast/coffee is good. Personnel is friendly and always helpful. The room was not so big but comfortable.

Smell of sewage in lift area and landing. All a bit worn. No safe, in room or for hire

Very cheerful and pleasant staff Spacious room Quiet, even though in relatively central area Pleasant bar

• Superior Twin Room

The bathroom was so small that the door (opening inwards) would prevent two people from going to the bathroom together ( me and my son) that door should open outwards, considering the space limitations. the lift was slow.

The staff and their willingness to optimally host us was great, we actually got a better room suiting our needs better, which was very appreciated. The breakfast was very good. The staff during breakfast was superior and polite to the point it made me feel it is a 6 stars hotel!

Only one of the two lifts were working and always seemed to be full of cleaning staff and their supplies in the mornings. The single lift was unbelievable slow. One of our party suffers from a bad back so could not use the stairs to the 5th floor. If you need to meet a taxi or something then set aside and extra 10 minutes to allow for the slow lift. The 5% visitor charge wasn't obviously mentioned anywhere in our booking. It may be there but it isn't obvious. This added 25 Euro's to our final account. The noise from the street is terrible. The late night bar under the hotel (under the 203-09, 303-09 403-09 etc rooms), and the bars over the road, party on late into the morning. I think we finally got to sleep at about 4.30am. The hotel says free wifi available in all rooms - don't bother. It is slower than dial up and the three in our party only managed to connect a few times in 3 days. We just used our own UK data packages. Did we bring these issues to the attention of the staff? ..... No, because we found all bar two of the staff to be a little surly and unapproachable. The lady who checked us in was really nice but we didn't see her on reception again. There was a young lady at breakfast who was pleasant, cheerful and very helpful.

The breakfast was quite nice (not amazing but nice). Comfortable bed, warm rooms, great shower, free mini bar (1 small coke, 1 wine, 1 beer, 1 water). It is suggesting I write 200 characters in this section but I can't think of anything else positive. There, I've done 287 characters :)

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel is located just 10/15 minutes walk from Köln HBF. The hotel is on a busy street especially at night with a lot of bars but we could not hear this in our room. The room was a good size and the mini bar was included which was a nice touch. The staff were helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again if I was returning to Köln. Very reasonably priced also.

• Standard Twin Room

WiFi in the room inacceptable as we got no access at all. Bathtub had no non-slip covering, in addition it was a deep bath tub in the corner of the room, quite difficult to get in an out of. Lifts very small and slow.

Two men in a room, which was large enough. Two beds, both comfortable, although for me bit soft. Staff very friendly and helpful. Quiet room in spite of active night life in street below.

• Standard Twin Room

The price for breakfast is far too high (19 EURO) compared to the reasonable other prices in the hotel restaurant. The sound insulation of the bedroom (windows) is mediocre. You can hear a lot of the street noise. You had to join "Le club accor hotels" to check-in before 15 o'clock for free.

Everything very clean, polite staff. The hotel is nicely situated in a lively street for people who like to go out at night.

expected higher quality in towels and bed sheets for a 4 star hotel in the city centre, and for the paid price.

Good location, big room, comfy beds, helpful staff.

All was great

Though of an older style, everything was there and in excellent condition, staff allowed us in early which was very handy. The bar fridge had two beers and a coke with cold water bottle all for free. Most enjoyable feature. Handy to Friesenplatz subway which made city trips a breeze. Lots of cafe places nearby for breakfast at a cheaper price than the hotel. Would stay again!

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel looked a little bit dated and was really really smelly ... the whole hotel smelt like sewage air !!! From the parking garage till up to the 7th floor were we ahd our room!

The breakfast was really good and nice , lot's to choose from !!! Staff were nice and location for us was great because we needed to be in the Sartory Saale ( that's next to hotel )

• Standard Twin Room

Restaurant food very poor standard - dinner inedible. We did not eat in hotel after that. This ruined the overall impression and urgently needs your attention.

Good accommodation and facilities. Reception staff very helpful. Restaurant and bar service efficient and friendly.

• Standard Single Room

On my booking I said I wanted a double bed. When I arrived I was told that there would be an extra charge to put me in a room with a double bed. Staff very friendly ,food was ok for breakfast. Location was good . overall not worth the money over £500 for 3 nights. should be 3 star, not 4

The rooms are small and so are the bathrooms. To park in the garage it's better to come with a small car.

The location is perfect. As mentioned, everything is in walking distance.

It was very very loud. We were not able to sleepqt all. The hotel is in the middle of the bar/club area where they play music all night long. We couldn't close the windows and turn on the airco because it was very old and not cooling at all! The facilities are very poor for a four star hotel, and it is overpriced.

WiFi was bad, disconnecting and very slow

Good location and really good breakfast Spacious and clean room Close to the city center and lot of dining options nearby

• Standard Single Room

housekeeping all the times comes and ask to clean even you put "do not disturb" sign. and you cannot lock your door inside. I had to put a chair in order stop them to come in.

great hotel as other mecure hotels. quality is standard. very pleasant stay. thank you

Small matter but I would prefer the safety deposit box to be in the room rather than reception

-extremely comfortable beds and pillows -well appointed room -reception staff were superb on check in and check out

Could do with a bit more cleaning especially bathroom.

Quiet location but within walking distance to city centre. Spacious room. Mini-bar is free and replenished daily.

poor wifi.

Nice clean rooms, with a airco. Front rooms can be a bit noise at the weekends. But would book there again. Use the carpark around the corner (3 min. walk) for €6,- a day.

First of all, the Wi-Fi connection was terrible. It was impossible to work. Even checking the emails was a real challenge. The connection was strong only at the lobby bar. Second but most important, there are many bars located near the hotel and as the rooms are not soundproofed, it was very noisy all night. Furthermore, the last night of our stay there was a party at the hotel which didn't stop until 6h30 in the morning. For the majority of our group it was impossible to sleep. When we complained, the staff just replied that "there was a special event" and that was all. They didn't even apologise for the inconvenience caused. If we come back again to Cologne, we certainly won't choose this hotel.

WIFI was non existent. Even paid for the upgrade with no joy. Makes it very difficult to do business. Surely this is a standard requirement in 2017!!!

I am very upset and disappointed in this hotel and the management I had a nasty experience and will never stay there again. I was unaware tha I had a double booking And was charged for a stay that I did not use AS I was already in the hotel I could have been informed of this double booking or the hotel could have informed booking.com but they did neither I am a very frequent guest at this hotel and have been for years. I found the woman at the front desk hostile and unprofessional and totally uncaring. and the hotel policy is rigid and not customer friendly. The area around the hotel used to be fun and original. It is now a slum and there are broken bottles and drunk people and cheap food around . It is noisy and dirty and should be avoided at all costs there are better places to stay it is no longer value for money Go to the azimut.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

I paid for two rooms for three nights at a high orice as FIBO 2017 was on in the city. We notified the hotel three weeks out that we would only need one of the rooms for two nights. They informed us that a refund was not available. Fair enough. The second room became vacant after the second night and I asked for a key to ensure that it was vacant when I was paying for it. The hotel had sold it to someone else and would not give me a key. They offered me another room but I wanted the one I had paid for. I will not be going back again.

Bed was comfy.

• Standard Twin Room

Shower was ok but not perfect - jumped from just warm enough to hot; water did not have much pressure

Super nice staff, parking garage in hotel, very central

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

hot room, stuffy smell in the room, bit slow wifi, all in all not value for 200 e/night. 130 e woudl be right price for the room i had. there was no aircon so i had to keep window open all the time to get fresh air and lower temperature.

location, cleanliness, silence, free minibar (though it only had soda and beer and no wine/snacks

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Conveniently located at walking-distance to the Cathedral and all must-see in Koln. The hotel is clean and offers the possibility to park your car. The price of the parking is 18 euro/day

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

The internet is not good at all. You have to buy the premium to have decent internet and even that doesn't work well. It's a little over priced for the area and quality of amenities.

The breakfast was really good and the staff was really amazing and helpful.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Not a bad word to say but English subtitles on TV would have been good.

Helpful staff. Breakfast amazing and nice touch with the free mini bar. Shower was good. Location perfect for cathedral and also Belgian quarter

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Lifts in hotel are very slow to operate so a lot of customers were using the stairs - given that it has two lifts you would have expected them to be more efficient - only a minor problem since they did work - just not very fast. - Area can be a bit noisy at night but since we were at the back of the hotel this was not a problem

The position of the hotel was ideal for the Christmas markets. The staff were all very helpful and the breakfast was very good. Room not large but still comfortable and had everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Pillows are crap, just a loose bag with feathers.

Rooms are big. The mini bar was free. Even though the hotel was in a busy street, we didn't hear any noise.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Staff. Poor customer service. I am surprised as have used this brand many times and have always found to be good value. Check in set the standard for the guest experience, no offer of free city tourism info, basics like we are here' Believe this maps are free from the city tourism office so why not make this part of your check in procedure, costs nothing but means a lot to guest. On staff training much work to be done, chambermaid taking a lift for cleaning buckets while 4 guests have to wait for the next one!! Really is this customer centric service, I think not. Hotel shabby, tired and poorly decorated. No atmosphere, staff around hotel did not generally greet guests, unusual for Germany, where normally the highest level of service is present, constant and done with no effort. Bed valance poorly pressed, certainly not up to standard for a hotel. Drinks bar being offered on a free basis (4 single drinks items) this is not what is required, guest need snacks and full mini fridge to be on offer. No safe in the room - again I would consider this a basic requirement- these may all be minor things on their own but combined made for a very disappointing booking. Would not stay here again and would now have to consider carefully before choosing the Mecure hotel brand

Location as easy walking distance to main attractions

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Very bad mattress, hard pillow, small bathroom (door cannot be opened when someone is sitting on toilet). Above all, very noisy Street. People not friendly. Last time I am staying here.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Standard Twin Room

room not thoroughly dusted/vacuumed the waiter kept asking my room number (quite rudely,) seeming to imply that I hadn't paid for the breakfast.

good location

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Only one pillow

Location was good, plenty of bars and restaurants about and only 15 minutes walk from the central station. Reception staff let us check in early and swap a double for a twin with no problem.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

We asked before coming if they can give us a separate reciept, and they said yes (that is why we have chosen this Hotel). At the end, they said to us that it is not possible - and now we have problems with Money return! Not nice at all!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Noisy stress at weekend - I had difficult to sleep!! At sunday night (and probably week days) is very quiet, but I got friday and saturday night abd it was a nightmare. Bed not confortable and too hot.

Secure street, even with active night life I feel safe walking on street.

• Superior Twin Room

Extremely comfy beds. Very clean. Free mini bar with good choice of ( mostly ) soft drinks. Easy ten minute walk to the central station.

Location loud at night till 3am even on the 6 th floor , room outdated not very clean.

• Standard Twin Room

In koln many different people from the world Breakfast is for Germany people not international food

Extremely noisy if you are not joining the party outside. It doesn't stop before 3 - 4 am.

Location is central for shopping

Pillows were terrible! A bit pricey for what it is, but would stay again

Great location. Great choice for breakfast

• Standard Twin Room

Excellent location close to train station and nightlife.

Bad wifi

WiFi was useless

Excellent location

Staff was really friendly and helpful during my stay.

• Standard Twin Room

It was in the city centre but still quiet. Staff very friendly.

• Standard Twin Room

extremely slow and weak wifi ın the rooms, dirty rooms

The reception were friendly.

No internet, not a bit.

• Standard Twin Room

Location close to station and Christmas markets. Irish pub next door and lots of restaurants near by. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

everthing

couldn't control air con in room 409

No early check in and breakfast

There is some bars/ shops/restaurants very near to hotel

• Standard Twin Room

Very friendly staff, room and hotel were immaculately clean. The mini bar was a really nice touch!

We didn't book the breakfast as it was very expensive. Bakeries nearby serve breakfast for over half the price.

Comfortable bed

the bath room

Noise from the pubs were very loud at 3rd floor

Staff, clealiness

There was a little noise from the clubs along the street, although there is little the hotel could do about this

The bed was lovely

Room was extremely hot, very uncomfy bed and staff weren't great

Good location but on a road with lots of bars - so extremely noisy on a weekend!

Expensive breakfast

Very comfy bed friendly staff

WiFi was very slow and bad

wifi signal in the room was terribly weak. had to stand by the door to have wifi signal

clean hotel with good basics.

• Standard Twin Room

breakfast is too expensive for what it is

Price for breakfast

Except for breakfast, the restauant was closed. The price for breakfast was £19! - we did not take it

Value for money

The breakfast is amazing! It's included in your reservation? don't miss it. It's not included in your reservation? Then pay for it :)

The room had a weird smell

Breakfast was good, so was location.

• Standard Single Room

They nickel and domed us for everything. The staff was not helpful.

Location was decent... centrally located in the bar/restaurant district

• Standard Single Room

The free wifi was terribly slow.

Good location.

• Standard Single Room

Walls are thin, you can hear everything next to u

Very friendly staff, clean

The bathroom was a bit dated.

Good breakfast. Friendly and helpful staff.

Browse Mercure Hotel Köln City Friesenstraße traveller photo gallery