Reviews of Hotel Merit This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Tübinger Str. 17b, Stuttgart-Mitte, 70178 Stuttgart, Germany

#98 of 113 hotels in Stuttgart

6.2

6.1

BEWARE: It’s a dump, not a hotel. It smells like mold, the staff is a joke, and most of all, the room is a disgrace. First of all even though they confirmed to us a room with a double bed, they ONLY have twin rooms. The rooms are a schoold book definition of missry: cheapest possible and very old furniture that makes IKEA stuff look like distant luxury, cigarette holes on the small couch, questionable hygene, beds that are the worst... I was shocked to see all of that at 160 EUR per night. A total disgrace!

Location, but even that won’t save the day!

The cleanness of the place is not that good. The carpet in the room smells horrible.

The location is perfect and right next to the down town area where there lots of restaurants.

hot shower water, close walk to many shops and restaurants. Traffic around Stuttgart in general really sucks. If it weren't for the Porsche museum and the Mercedes museum there is no need to go to Stuttugart.

The beds were very small, reception closed overnight, till 6:30 on the morning.

The hotel is placed in a quiet location, very closed to a subway station with excellent connections with the airport and railway station.

The only thing, that I didn`t like too much was, that it was very hot in the room. I came there on a sunny spring day with about 22 degrees, so I am wondering if it might not be too hot in there in summer. There was a fan in the room, that was not working. Other equipment might also not work constantly, like for instance computers or the lift. But again - for the price it was a decent hotel.

One can walk to the hotel from the station, but it is at the other end of the inner city, so it will take about 15 min to get there by foot. The hotel was cheap for Stuttgart and nevertheless totally ok, of course no great luxury, but all was working, clean and proper. The selection of breakfast items was adequate, no brillant buffet, but ok.

It is cheap and clean, but you are short of means to buy bottled water, primary needs like a telephone, and when I asked they were not concerned or cared.. At night they shut the Elevator at midnight. and you have to walk Up five level to get to your room, Specially when you have a knee Problem.

We had a couch with stains (as well as the wall) and it smelled like pee :/ The double bed was two single beds put together... We could hear every word of our neighbours, but during the night it was very quiet. They should give more information online...

Recommended for someone with a limited budget, that wants to stay close to the station and with not many expectations. We got a big room with 7 beds on the last floor. It had a huge balcony with the view of the city and the tower. The bed and pillow were comfortable. We had a late check in (at almost midnight). We were afraid we could not get in as we saw some reviews about that and also Booking says it is closed from 22. The reception is actually closed from 00.30 till 6 or 6.30 (can't remember). FYI during that time you can also not use the elevator. For the price, it was a good stay. Great position (20 mins walking from the train station)

I left my luggage at the front office since I couldn’t check-in since it was early in the morning. I asked them to please bring it to my room once ready and they said it wouldn’t have been a problem. When I came back at 1 am, my luggage was abandoned there and everyone could have taken it. Also, the doors were really thin, so after 8 am it was impossible to sleep: the noise of people closing/opening their room’s doors, walking in the corridor, just speaking in the corridor was incredibly high as if there was no door at all!

Good location and good place to stay! Front office people were kind and the room was clean! The mattress was ok, also the shower was ok.

Unconfortable to get to the room with luggage since you need to carry those several steps. Noisy at night - the windows will not cancel the noise at late hours

It was overly expensive for the quality of the hotel. Through the booking.com site, I had elected to upgrade my room and paid an additional amount. When I checked into the hotel the woman at the front desk said she had no clue what I was talking about and still charged me the higher rate. The rooms were dingy and the hotel smelled.

Location was the only positive, but still not worth it.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

This is a budget hotel, for the money and central position you cannot complain if it is not quite four star.

Helpful staff, excellent breakfast. Clean and extremely good value. Central position for enjoying Stuttgart on a budget.

Wifi did not work the first day. Horrible noise from outside during late hours(party/club/loud ) causing both nights not to sleep properly. Low value for money.

Nice breakfast

The hotel was updated but still a bit drab. It was clean and functional. The location was just OK. About 10-15 minutes by foot to all the sites.

Big, clean room in an OK location.

Poor WiFi connectivity, bad for business travelers. The reception did not seem to be staffed 24/7 which is a problem when you want to check in or check out early or late.

Location, cleanliness.

Rooms are not noise-isolated, until midnight and then between 03am-05am the neighbouring room was having a party, and we couldn't sleep. My daughter was very scared. No receptionist during the night to take matters at hand.

location was good.

afetr 12.00 no staff so if anything happens then you are on your own.

Big room with spick and span clean, in the city center very near to the s Bahn and u Bahn terminals also very near to the tourist information. would suggest my friends this hotel. the staff was helpful.

While the Hotel was in a good location in it is located above a very bar. So you will need extra strong earplugs. We were there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and from 10pm to about 3am there was music blaring from the bar below. The beds were also very basic

While the Hotel was in a good location in it is located above a very noisy bar.

The room felt dated and like it could use a bit of a refresh but was functional.

The hotel was conveniently located and it was easy for us to spend our day in Stuttgart. There was an elevator to help bring suitcases to our room. The bathroom was large with a full-size deep tub, a luxury for all the hotels I stayed in in Europe. This was a steal of a deal and, though we weren't in the hotel very much, I would stay here again.

I read some reviews about late check- in.And I saw a paper on the entrance door about information for someone arrives late. I reccomend to make sure that get information if you will arrive late :) I checked-in at daytime and there is one person at the reception all the time,so I had no problem.

Wi-Fi works well(But setting is bit complicate,I had to ask how to do.) big room,close to the station,big shopping mall. The stuffs are helpful.

all was very bad. 1. we are booked 1 big bed, but they gave us to separeted beds. Moreover they lied that all room the same and tell us to move beds together, although its not possible. 2. all windows was open with 0'c temperature at the street. 3. we couldnt sleep well because of cold and because of very vey loud music (3d floor) from some turkish cafe till 2am. 4. broken shower stand 5. unstable wi-fi. At morning, when we tried to check our train wi-fi just switched off and never appear again. 6. Poor room itself with leaned doors. 7. No luggage room. 8. Strange prices. We payed 79euro although it seems common price for this rooms is 49. and 49 is right price, no more. 9. No proper entrance, just some door at th street. etc etc worst hotel at Stuttgard.

Beds separating when I was after a double.... Passion is hard when on two twins that slide apart. Annoying. But we found a way to enjoy ourselves...😜

Price. Location. Shower. Staff.

The lady at the reception was friendly and nice, the room was huge, clean and comfortable. Great location, great facilities... Great value for money.

The tall guy at the reception was really unfriendly. We asked simple questions and he got very angry. I would never book this hotel again. You could have much better hotels for cheaper . We had the room to the street and it was really loud! No hot water at the shower. We asked them to fix it. They ignored it. Never made a experience like that.

The room was very dated. The view from the room was not good and with lights on others could see into the room.

Due to flight delay we ended up staying at the Hotel Merit. We had read reviews which said that the Hotel Merit rooms were a little dated which was correct. However the bed was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was clean and a good size. The view from the room was not good but it was quiet at night and we slept well. The only facility was breakfast in the morning which was just fine. Coffee was very good with juice cereal eggs bacon cheese yogurt, cake etc. The hotel is perfectly located for getting around.

This hotel needs a serious makeover... the area of south Stuttgart was until recently not one of the better areas. New shops and businesses in the vicinity have made it closer to prime real estate:; however the hotel was likely last updated before 1960! Cracked tiles in the bathrooms, shabby carpets and bed that sank to the floors. On top of the less than comfortable setting, the charge was 400 Euro/night (for a single room!!) as there was a trade fair in the city and no where else for 6 rooms within 20 miles. Too bad... it could have been an awesome place!

The staff were mostly pleasant.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Quality vs price is extremely high compared to other options in the center of the city. Very good option if you are looking for a simple hotel with good location.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Hotel was quite noisy. My room on 6th floor overlooked street. Lift was noisy too. Small room and mattress was not so supportive.

Shared bathroom facilities was very clean. Location is central.

No sound proofing rooms. You can hear everything.

We received free upgrade to biggest room on the last floor. And that was great. That room is with 6 singke beds and one double bed. And we were just two :) Also has huge terace , may be 50 m2 or more... Location is great

Entrance to hotel you are greated with approx 15 steps. Then you have a lift/elevator option to floors. Shower very small as was my room TV was small on a desk Dated carpet and dirty patches Breakfast - 8.50 Euros bread rolls were very soft not fresh and crusty and bread was not smelling fresh. Hot food plate was off with cold egg within and something else maybe sausage?. Asked for fresh rolls and was told they are fresh. Asked for a part refund as only had orange juice and small coffee but was not granted. meats not chilled either or covered.

Location is great , easy to find and near S-Bahn/U-Bahn stations and just a few stops to Stuttgart HBF. Price of room was £39 for 2 beds but basic - Having visited I would not pay more if I did revisit.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The hotel should not be rated 3 stars. Not even 1 star. We stayed in a room with the heater wasn't working while outside temperature was minus zero. Wouldn't be able to sleep at all. The response from the hotel staff was that they would call a technician who would attend approximately in an hour time if he wasn't busy. It was almost 11 pm when we checked in. The staff told me that they didn't have any other room available for that night. I just didn't want anybody working in the room till they fix the system. 3 rooms on that level used one bathroom and toilet facilities. At night, it was always busy to have a turn. I never stayed a hotel like that in my life. I wouldn't call it a hotel but a BACKPACKER HOSTEL will be the right name to call that facility. I am a genius member with Booking.com and very disappointed with it for even listing this hotel as an option on the website. I demand a full refund for my stay. Looking forward to hearing the steps you are going to take

NA

The overall value for money and the spacious room was worth it all. The hotel is also located very close to the main city square (walking distance). Excellent overall.

There is a funky smell in the elevator and the corridor. Facilities somewhat outdated.

Probably the best value for money hotel I have been to in my life. Centre of the city, view on the main shopping street - all for 26 EUR. Some will find the facilities outdated but this is easily outweighed by the price and location.

On the day we had our check in, we received a call that the hotel had heating problems, and that we needed to go to some other hotel (hotel Espenlaub) - a 2 star hotel. The area where the hotel was situated was not as nice as the one we should have stayed. There was so much noise from the streets and U-bahn. Our door did not close properly (it was so broken that i could even see the light from the hallway). I could hear anything and everyone on the floor like they were in our room, so it`s clear to say that we didn`t get to sleep at all.

Dirty carpet on the room floor, the unpleasant smell of naphthalene. Lack of electricity maintenance, a few things are even broken. Missing a small refrigerator and a can.

The good white linen and the clean white towels. VERY GOOD STUFF, for me is the most important along with a clean toilet. Very big room also. Very good location for the price. Every thing is a short walking distance.

Alles gut

Super location, great quality services, best price/quality value. You are close to everything: stores, places to visit.... very nice place.

Special request for the WiFi password needed.

Location is great and rooms are spacious. Bathroom is spacious and clean as well. Employees were kind and helpful.

They could add some amenedies. For the price, there was no coffee, safe, mini-frudge or other shower amenedies.

The location. Close to the Christmas market, restaurants, central station.

It was uncomfortable because the beds were on wheels and moved when you moved and the mattresses were nothing more than some foam on springs.

The beds were old, too springy and soft. The rooms and entire place needs major renovation. Cigarette burns on the sofa and stained carpets were not attractive. Quite loud outside the windows and curtains did not close all the way.

Location! Very near the Christmas Market and downtown pedestrian and shopping area.

We needed a four person room (2 adults, 2 children) and we got a bed that was for 8 or more people and we had to pay EXTRA for such a big room that we didn’t need in the first place. For 8 people it was a good price but that’s not what we asked for so I expected a really nice room for four. And instead we got a dingy unkept room for eight. No parking on site. We had to pay €25 in an off site parking garage.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the city center.

Doors could be thicker as I could hear when people walked pass the room

Comfortable, very spacious room, affordable price, perfect for problem-free stay, close to historic centre

The rooms were cold and the heating was not great. Extra blankets would have been good.

Location was excellent and very handy to get to. Over the two night stay it was reasonable value. Breakfast was simple but good.

no parking on site. 25 euros for 24 hours at the nearest parking garage. located in the walking zone, no place to legally unload your car in front of the hotel. elevator was small.

it was dierctly down town

Very good price/performance. Very polite staff. Very well located close to city center facilities and transit locations. Didn't stay for breakfast so can't rate that

Everything inside is very old (room furniture, floors and bathrooms). We had 3 rooms, and 2 of them had a weird smell. Since we stayed only one night this wasn't a big deal for us, but I wouldn't stay longer. Also, sound insulation is very bad. We could hear our neighbors through the wall. One of the neighbors where actually partying and sleeping was impossible for our sick friend who couldn't get out that night.

The location is very good - you are few minutes walking from everything in the city center. The are parking places on the street - if you are lucky - but there also private parking options (18 euro / day) on the same street.

The bed was definitely not that good. The room was super hot and they places a fan (not making any better). I had to keep window open (with rain) up to midnight to have some decent temperature in the room.

WiFI was working fine

Room size excellent. Quiet in spite of being dead centre of town- Fantastic location 2 minutes walk from train station with excellent Vietnamese street food restaurant next door. Super clean with good bathroom. Solid basic accommodation which is superb value for money. Wifi Strong and reliable on all floors Unfortunately 2 single beds cannot be combined to a double, so not perfect, but for the money I paid a fantastic deal- I recommend!

The wifi did not work at all, when we tried to connect our iphones blocked it as a not-sure line. the room was no soundproof, there was a family just in the room opposite to ours and the were just talking ( not too loud) but we heard everything and I had to get out and ask to low their tone.

very good position, just 1 minute walking from koeningstrasse. Staff friendly and helpful (especially the girl was working on Sunday morning 5/11/17 brown hair she was wearing glasses), we asked for an umbrella and she borrowed hers to us plus she gave us a lot of information in a very kind way.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was a small loft. Heating didn't work properly. We asked for a new room (obviously paying the difference), but the staff told us there wasn't possible to change it.

The location is ok, the hotel is placed in the city center

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

It was represented as a hotel and it was more of a hostel. Little privacy with a shared bathroom and someone walked into our room as we didn't realize the doors don't lock behind you like regular hotels do. The bed was from IKEA and felt like it would fall apart on me.

There were no maps available of Stuttgart at the reception desk. In the room There was no safe One curtain didn’t pull One bedside light didn’t work The overall light was so poor, it was hard to read in the evening The chair at the desk didn’t feel safe There was trim missing off the cupboard AND the bed was uncomfortable. Should have slept like a log as I had jogged and walked over ten miles but it was so uncomfortable I kept waking. Not suitable for disabled people. Steps up from street and more steps to reach reception.

Friendly receptionist. Enormous room Good location

The hotel is definitely run down and not the most modern in terms of updates. That's fine, but it's more dingy than antique in that sense. A hodgepodge of old furniture and lights. The breakfast room unfortunatly had terrible lighting! Made for unpleasant breakfast, although the food itself was okay. Just a few changes would make this hotel excellent.

Great location and pleasant staff. Accommodated our party of three in a huge, clean sixth floor room that had rooftop access and an a superb city view. Pleasantly surprised!

Seems to be a former residential building converted into hotel: there is no hall, need to go through the stairs-hall to reach the reception in the building's small courtyard. the room I staid had old and cheap furniture, old carpeting, pillows and mattress. Breakfast very modest. Not worth and not in the class of an hotel I was expecting for the price I paid.

location is convenient, next to the city center. The toilet, although basic, was clean.

Great value hotel in the centre of town. Nice big room with comfy beds and nice bathroom. Staff great on check in, no complaints. Short walk to subway and central train station. Restaurants nearby

The hotel in general reeks of cigarette smoke. It's overpowering. The carpet in the room was really old and really dirty. The room was in desperate need of remodeling and updating. The bathroom was clean and serviceable. We spent as little time at the hotel as possible.

Booked a family room for 250 euro's. The rooms real worth is not even 50 euro's. Really ugly rooms, with zero comfort. They don't even provide basic facilities like 2 lamps on each bedside. My cubbord didn't open completely because bed was blocking it. Some charging spots were broken and left open which is also a safety hazard. Attached are picture proof Of same.

The only thing Good about it is the location

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom was not inside the room.hotel told us that it is mentioned on the details.ok.mentioned but ı didnt read exactly of small characters on the information. Also we are in 2017 why do you sell the rooms in this condtons?? I travel all the world and ı see first time this condition(WC is out of the room and on the corridor of the hall)

😩

There was construction going on in the street outside which started at around 8/9 in the morning - not great if you want to sleep in but not the hotel's fault. Carpets and furniture could do with some deep cleaning but it was alright for a few nights. Cleaner also left my room unlocked after cleaning it. The hotel has apologised but I would suggest locking up valuables before leaving for the day.

Booked and paid for a single room, so I was pleasantly surprised to be given a massive double room. Sights in the city centre were within 15 minutes walking distance, everything else was accessible from the S-bahn station 5 minutes away.

perfect lcation. 5min from S (local train to get you in to town from the airport) and heaps of shops all round. nice walk down to the castle and parks and not far to the main train station either. huge rooms. comfy beds, great views from top floor!

Only thing was it was about 15 minute walk to the location from the train station.

Excellent sized room, nice bathroom and beds were comfy, staff were excellent. Pretty close to all the sites you'd want to see and very close to transit. Overall great stay.

Entrance hall was musty. There was supposed to be 3 beds. A sofa bed when in bed mode is still a sofa bed. Especially when it doesn't pull out. Infact it's more like a sofa with no back.! The noise in the street lasted all night, talk about a city that never sleeps. Gear change corner for lorries, bikes and cars drag racing, casino emptying out.. Hot weather windows open

Room was a good size for 3.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Everything ! There is no Bathroom in my room, I had to share with the room nearby. A prostitute came for a hour, was really noisy, hot, without air conditioner, the staff were arrogant, not friendly and cynic. I have not been before in so bed hotel! I could not believe it! It is the most disgusting hotel in Europa, I have visited at all. Really sorry, but I had to tell you as it were.

Reception not welcoming. Checking in system was slow. The guy had to keep excusing himself about the slow computer (!).

Location is great. Room is nice size. We had top room so had some views of the back/hills (photo attached).

The cracked sink, carpet heavily marked and thin curtains.

Lovely staff, helpful at all times. On the outskirts of the main area so it maybe is quieter than some streets? I loved having a bath rather than just a shower.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

No air-conditioning in the room. Open the windows is impossible because the cries from the street all night.The city is in the reconstruction and traffic jams are everywhere, GPRS does not show right direction due this reason.

location is good

The room could have had a mirror inside the room, not just in the bathroom. We were preparing for the concert, and it would have been very important to see full-size image. And the toilet pot did not always flush everything away, it got a bit stuck time by time. But even these were just minor nuisances, the value for money was more than one cold expect!

Very helpful and nice staff, excellent location.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Wifi connection is poor (signal is strong, but connection disppears every half hour or so). If you are a business traveller, beware. The facility is badly in need of various repair works.

Great value for money.

Perhaps the wifi could be fixed as every once in a while its went out for about 20/30minutes

Great location, friendly staff, larger room than expected, amazing value for money, quiet and relaxing.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Old furniture, some dirt on dishes during breakfast, there were some blood and black stains on the towel - that was pretty gross

Location is pretty awesome, I had a lot of space in the room. Clean floors and bathrooms

Parking advertised but it is subject to availability on the street nearby. There is however a possibility to park in the vicinity at a charge. We paid 37 euros for one day and a half.

The hotel is terrible!! I wouldn't recommend it at all! We stayed there for 1 night and had to leave at 3 a.m. (At night). The bathroom was clean enough but the toilet and the shower were old and disgusting. We discovered that Wi-fi in the hotel didn't work at night, so we could not make a call and order taxi to the airport (as public transport is not available at night in Stuttgart). We failed to find staff at the hotel, so no one could help us. Could you imagine a hotel without any employee at night? We had to go to the city to find wi-fi, but we noticed that the front door of the hotel closes as soon as someone gets out. I realized that if we go out we would not be able to get in again, and we yet had to leave for a flight! I managed to catch a taxi right in the street while my friend held the front door opened. Awful.

The bed was clean, the room seemed good-looking.

The room: very basic decoration and furniture, I not welcoming at all. Would have expected a higher standard given the room rate.

Excellent location, close to public transport, shopping and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

When I arrived it was approximately 22:30 and I was alone. I had specifically taken a taxi from the station as I had a lot of luggage. When I got to the Merit there was a paper sign on the door asking me to collect my key from their sister hotel, about a 10 min walk away. The streets were very busy and there were lots of men drinking and shouting at me as I walked by. The room, when I finally got there was very student-y, mis-matched furniture and stained carpet. It was very warm and there was no way of opening the window or turning down the heat. I don't feel that it offered good value, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you were perhaps on a stag-do or similar and didnt mind lots of shouting all through the night in the back courtyard. The staff were very grumpy when went to return my key and did not offer information on breakfast so I went without.

Location was good. The bathroom was very clean.

No fault of the hotel, but my overnight was ruined by the fact that the next door room was used as a base for Friday night revels by three or four young women who prepared for the evening very loudly up until midnight, then went out and returned absolutely noisily wrecked at 0530.

good efficient base in the centre of town

Decor was a little dated, but a very minor point.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. Check in was very straightforward with my booking located quickly. When asked about train times to the airport i was given a print our with the best time to catch the train ahead of my flight. Breakfast choices were perfectly adequate.

Browse Hotel Merit traveller photo gallery