Reviews of Hotel Monopol 3 stars

#185 of 197 hotels in Düsseldorf

6.2

5.9

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast selection was very limited. Decor generally was very dated and well past its sell by date. Rooms were very small. Glasses in the bathroom were made of glass as opposed to plastic, and were not sealed in hygiene packaging. Unfortunately one of the glasses when wet, slipped from my grasp and smashed in the sink. The hotel generally presented as very worn, and outdated.

The breakfast rolls were very nice, the reception staff were very helpful and pleasant. There was a safe in the room. The lift although very small, was working .

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed was to soft for me, but it is nearly always in hotels. And I did not like rain last day of our stay, but one can not blame hotel for it :-)

The most positive was atitude of all the stuff. We realy felt welcome and all our questions and demands were satisfied with nice smile on their faces. Thank you Jonas and all the team. Very rich and good breakfast for the rate of hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked 2 rooms, request single (separated) beds. We got two little double beds... They only changed one room. "NO PREPAYMENT NEEDED - pay at the property " write this page: the prize was deducted immediately... We didnt get the welcome drink (genius member)

not too expensive

Rooms were too small. Elevator was a problem for luggage too.

Location was good, maybe 20 Meters from U-Bahn Oststraße. 7 minute walk to Hauptbahnhof. 10 minute to Altstadt.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel was very dirty, we have to slleep with open window because the bed smell in room , carpet very dirty, water in shower was blocked ... Staff not very helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The lift to the fourth floor was so small that two of us could barley fit in. When exiting the lift you are met with trolley carts of bed linen that obviously hasn’t been washed. We didn’t take the lift again instead we opted to use the stairs to the room. The smell in the stairways was like boot polish. The room was Out dated and had a horrible feel. The carpet was brown and badly stained and felt like you were walking on concrete. The bed seemed ok until we both rolled into the middle.. neither of us slept. The internet connection was by far the worst we have ever experienced. It was near on impossible to use. The bathroom was very small and would flood as the curtain to the shower wouldn’t keep the water in. The breakfast was ok and it was prob the best thing about that place. We had booked for two nights but only stayed one as we moved to another hotel. We should of left the moment we walked in.

The location... that’s about it

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was in the part of the hotel, where was no lift and only way to go to 4th floow was from very small stairway. There was no ventilation in the room and after showering both bathroom and living room was very damp and unpleasant.

The location was very good - ca 15min walk from main train station and 5min walk from Subway and Tram stops. In the corner of the street was also small kiosk. Breakfast was good. Overall the room was clean, bathroom clean, but carpet floor dirty.

Total Shambles of Accommodation provided via Booking.com , Filthy smelly and well below standard for the cost, Access to the room was via a narrow hallway Obstructed to less than individual access via 6 tall trolley loads of Stale Smelling used Bed linen and Towels obviously from the previous week as there during the day of arrival, following return from a meal out in the evening and also on approach for the so called breakfast the following morning., As down here on business required WIFI and informed not working via the Gentleman behind the counter on arrival and that it may be rectified in the morning, Upon asking for Extra Blankets for the room we were informed yes it is a cold room -2deg exterior on the night of arrival the room temp was +1, handed a small Electric blow heater that proved unfit for purpose, both noisy and constant thermal tripping after 10 to 15 min of use, Not an item you could leave running while asleep or acceptable under Duty of Care! could be classified as Negligence should it ignite while asleep, The Gent accompany me on the business trip happen to be an IT Student and quite knowledgeable regarding communication, also advised me he also could not connect to the Establishments WIFI and there is an issue with its distribution and Server, When informing the Staff the next morning we were informed you have an issue with your Laptops, Tablets and Phones as the system is working, In conversation with 2 personnel attending the same exhibition we were notified they also had issues, Following on from the discussion and abrupt attitude from front of house in reception next morning including the Condition, stale smell and service of this establishment we relocated for our 2nd evening to Suitable and Sufficient Accommodation within walking distance of the Monopol, For prospective candidate looking for decent clean accommodation in Dusseldorf please understand there is far better than this for less money

Departure / Checking out Relocated to a better cleaner Hotel after the first night even though we had paid for 2,

Nothing. Everything was perfect

Staff (especially Gabriella) were friendly and helpful. Room was clean and comfortable. WiFi worked great. Very good location. Buffet Breakfast was delicious and lots to chose from

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Good location. Close to transport links, shopping locations and Altstadt (10 minute walk). Free tea and coffee in the lobby and even gluhwein on arrival!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We could smell cigarettes in our first room, but hotel staff gave us another room without problems.

Friendly staff at the reception, great value for money, good breakfast

Rooms are a bit small, some of the double/twin rooms for 2 people don't have an option, so there is a chance you end up with one big bed for 2 people

Very decent breakfast choices, great location, close to the main train station, shopping malls, and great resturants

The hotel is very dirty. Almost all the carpets are with stains. The photos is very old and they basically cheated us by showing very clean hotel but the fact is something else. We walked in and after few minutes we went back to the reception and asked them to cancel our booking, but they refused and said that we have to pay the full amount if we need to cancel our booking.

Nothing positive that i could remember. Was very disappointed from the first moment.

No safety that it is not equipped with monitors on each floor, and my room was knocked by someone who tried to get in my room at night.

Breakfast is good with fruit.

• Standard Single Room

My room was disgusting and unacceptable. The carpet was stained and dirty. The bathroom had a musty smell that never went away, even with the windows open. No tea kettle in the room.

The location was convenient to stores and restaurants. The breakfast options were plentiful and the breakfast room was elegant. Coffee, tea and water available in the lobby downstairs 24 hours a day.

• Standard Single Room

The room was not 100% clean I was only there one night so it didn't bother me to much

The hotel was really good and was exactly what the description said! You got nothing more and nothing less I would definitely stay again

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom clean but needed updating and rather small(room 407).

Hotel Monopol is comfortable but needs a little updating. However found breakfast had improved since last time I had stayed there. Certainly no complaints and Dusseldorf is a great city.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service was unavailable,we had to rush down from the 5 floor all the way to get plates,spoons,or water.

The generous staff,they did their best to serve us better.undoubtedly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

If you get a room next to the street then it can be noisy, and you might need to leave the window open at night because there isn't any air conditioning, but only 1 of our 4 hotels on this holiday offered air-con. There is an onsite car park, but good luck getting in there as it only has 4 spaces. However, we thought that E12.50 parking was too much to pay so we went around the corner into a covered car park which ended up costing us E22.50 for 14 hours, poor decision by me.

The welcome drink - just a juice but a nice surprise. The breakfast was great. This a hotel that probably needs a good refresh, but everything works, the room was comfortable, the shower was good, and there was even a Minibar. For the price this was probably the BEST of our 4 hotels on our holiday, partly because it doesn't pretend to be anything other than an honest and humble hostelry. Undoubtedly the BEST value of our holiday, well located, and a good stay unless you are looking for trouser presses and other non-essentials.

• Standard Single Room

Bathroom is just about big enough. Had to have door open to use the sink though. Lift door sticks open on the ground floor if not shut by last person to use it. Means the lift doesn't work until someone shuts the ground floor door. Annoying when you have to walk down many floors as you know this is the problem.

Very friendly staff. Comfy bed. Excellent breakfast. Traditional Dusseldorf Alt beer bar 2 mins to left as come out of the hotel. Korean bar almost next door to the right is much better than it looks from outside. Good food, beer and ultra friendly Korean staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is in need of modernisation, though this does not distract from it confort WIFI is not available in all rooms

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful Breakfast was good and there was plenty of it

• Standard Single Room

I usually do not criticise a lot, but this is the only hotel that I have been to in which the workers do not smile nor they seemed happy to have seen a guest. On the contrary, they seemed sad to see a guest walk-in. I'm glad I had to stay in Düsseldorf for one night and did not have to go through the depressing process of staying at this hotel for another night. Checking-in was okay alright though. My single room was extra small. As a matter of fact, it was uncomfortably small. But for the price of 50€/night I did not have high expectations in the first place. My room was "non-smoking" but my neighbor in the next room was smoking, and my room smelled like cigarettes the entire night. The main lights in my bedroom went out by themselves. I tried turning them back on, but it did not work. After approximately one hour they turned back on by themselves. Wifi was disconnecting and very slow. I gave up and turned to my LTE network. I had breakfast and when I was going back up to my room to get my stuff I asked the receptionist to prepare my invoice because I am running on a tight schedule. He confirmed. When I came down, to my disbelief he was nearly shouting at one of the cleaning staff lecturing her how to clean windows right inside the reception office (which is practically two meters away from where I was standing). Shockingly, he looked out and saw me standing waiting for him. He continued his lecture to the housekeeping lady and then came out. I thought it was disgusting to be frank. No matter how bad of a job she did, he did not have any right to shout at another co-worker. He then prepared my invoice and I was on my way. Not even a tiny smile nor a goodbye. It was a relief to leave the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to any one visiting Düsseldorf because frankly it is an insult to this beautiful city. Unless the entire city is booked, and you do not have any other chance.

The breakfast was okay.

• Standard Single Room

The moquette of the entry hall and of the stairs is very old and dirty. My single room was so small that I had to close the door of the wardrobe before entering the bathroom

The breakfast exceeded my expectations despite the fact that the coffee was very, very bad. For the espresso machine "the pads were not available"

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Standard Single Room

Although the staff had free room at quite corner of hotel during the check in and I asked in my booking she didn't gave me that. The lift is in very bad condition.

• Standard Single Room

Kept banging my head on the odd shaped wardrobe doors with sharp angles. Apart from that, every thing was OK.

Only a 10 minute walk from the Main railway Station. The excellent Schumacher's Beer Hall 50 meters along the road for meals. Only a 20 minute walk to the Altstadt but Oststraße Underground station nearby if you want to go by train. Good selection in the breakfast buffet and the bright and pleasant breakfast room. Comfortable beds, good hot showers.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The beds need serious replacement. Room was very small but o.k. for a one night stay.

The breakfast buffet was very good and so was the location especially for train travelling.

• Standard Single Room

Little far out from main attractions if you're a poor Walker but reception booked taxus for us when required

Good, clean, budget hotel. Free WiFi, good breakfast choices

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

We stayed in a triple room which was quite small and badly arranged. They offered a better room when we asked but it didn't have an elevator and with the luggage we had it was impossible.

The location is excellent

Did not like the hotel. We had lots of luggage as we were on a shopping spree but got a room on the first floor with no lift and no porter service therefore had to drag our luggage up and down 2 flights of stairs with little or no help from the staff. The female receptionist was grumpy, rude and unhelpful. All in all, not a good experience.

Nothing much. The breakfast was not bad but nothing to write home about.

• Standard Single Room

I didn't like the old carpet in the bedroom.

I liked the breakfast buffet especially the selection of fruits and drinks. The staff were friendly and helpful. Bathtub turned out to be only a shower. Oh well... for the price it was still quite fine and was very clean.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

wifi slow and not responding sometimes. Tv didn't work , also the little desk lamp.

friendly staff. rich german breakfast! very close to central station. clean room nicely heated.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Single beds in double room, not able to be put together.

Location was ideal for underground for easy access around Duesseldorf, shops within walking distance if you don't want to go underground.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Bathroom heater was broken so until the shower heated the bathroom up it was freezing cold in mid December.

Breakfast was great and the location was excellent.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location was great. Less than ten minutes walk from the train station, and very close to shopping and city sights. It was very peaceful and quiet and the bed was really comfortable. The breakfast was filling and had lots of options. We asked the staff if we could leave our bags behind as we walked around before it was time to leave the city and they were very accommodating!

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

We paid for the 'comfort room' double, but it was still not possible to walk down both sides of the bed. The separate toilet was tiny and the bathroom long and thin, so it was necessary to step over the end of the bath to get in.

The breakfast was good and the staff bright and cheerful.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Boiled eggs for breakfast hardly cooked. Couldn't get hard boiled eggs! Atmosphere was not as welcoming as last time we visited.

Bed was comfortable, room was clean. Very convenient for railway station and the city.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Very dated Hotel, in need of a major refurbishment. Carpets are filthy and a lot of dust behind the built in wardrobes. Bathroom was clean but a little worn.

Instant hot water in shower and comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Standard Single Room

I have stayed here a few time over the last few years and I don't think nothing has changed it needs updating the decor is got to be late 80s or early 90s and the carpets have seen better days hotels around this area have moved on and the Monopol needs to as well.

Location is good

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Standard Single Room

Room I had was quite small, in top floor, & small bathroom.

Free tea & coffee in reception area Good breakfast spread. Good location, near to station & Schumacher brew`pub!

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Comfort Single Room

The bathroom was very bad...extremely dirty and outdated. Mold every where. The shower curtain was dirty as well, see picture.

Breakfast was good. Hotel is located at walking-distance from the shopping area.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Standard Single Room

A little bit cold. Wi-fi slow and with many interuptions.

Nice hotel. Close to the central railway station and a walking distance to the city center. Clean. Breakfast is very ok for the price I paid.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The pictures on your website in no way Room 110, this room has not been redecorated since the early 1970's. The carpets are filthy and the door is dirty, and needs replaced. If we hadn't arrived so late and only staying for 2 nights I would have looked elsewhere. The bedding was clean, which is all that stopped us looking elsewhere. The corridor on the way to the room had a horrendous odour, we had to run to stop ourselves from throwing up, getting from reception to our room. We could not bring ourselves to eat the breakfast, so chose to eat elsewhere although we had paid for breakfast. This hotel had 3 stars, but we could have expected not to trust that rating had we been in Bulgaria or Albania, but not in Germany. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, if our Room 110, is a reflection on the hotel overall

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

everything. For a business trip it is fundamental to have at least wi-fi connection. it doesn't work. bad experience for a ab-normal price.

position for tradeshow is ok. outside that thumbs down.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Standard Single Room

Wifi was slow and with intermittent disconnects. Also, one day staff did not lock my room after they had cleaned it.

Nice decorations! Polite and friendly receptionists, available 24/7. Free tasty tea&coffee at the reception anytime.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Standard Single Room

The breakfast was awful. The room and the bed was small. Room was noisy and the carpet everywhere had a shabby look. It was no value for money. The staff did not even know the main musea of the city

I like the location and the relatively low price

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

• Standard Single Room

The WiFi was less powerful than a slug that had taken a lot of heroin.

Good location, staff were fine. Bed was not huge but pretty comfy. No evil space demons ate our souls.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff were not very friendly and the breakfast was very poor. In addition a watch was stolen from our room during our stay.

Hotel was within walking distance of the town centre.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel a bit on the old side and the bathroom was just okay'ish.

The bed was awesome, the best part of the hotel. It was so comfy I hardly could get out of it in the morning. The staff was friendly and very helpful, that's a big plus.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

They should pay more attention to the cleanliness of the rooms, our walls had tomato spots and curtains were not that clean as well.

The bed was very very comfortable :) Great location in the city center!

room, toilet, lift

the location

• Comfort Double Room

Good breakfast Good location Staff helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It is very convenient location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The floor ia old, and a bit bit dirty. Needs to get changed

Very friendly staff, rooms and breakfast are ok.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very polite & kind staffs;great location;great breakfast; thanks alot

Wi-Fi bad

Breakfast very nice

• Standard Single Room

Very varied menu all tastes catered, in a very pleasant room, dirty plates cleared promptly, a good start to the day.

Rooms are not good

Location of elevator is odd to Carry luggage Floor rugs dirty and smelling unhygienic for habitation

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Convenient for station. Friendly staff Free coffee in reception Good breakfast.

A bit outdated facilities

Location, staff

Room dimension

Wi-Fi

The beds were fine! The room was clean. The shower curtain was a little short. Breakfast was delicious!

Beds ok not super comfortable.

Was exactly what we needed for a lads trip, not glamourous but functional. Staff were great.

No thing

• Standard Double or Twin Room

great location and good breackfast

• Standard Single Room

The lighting in the room was not controllable from the bed and the bedside light was inadequate.

The room was comfortable.

Room was a little small

Great location, good breakfast

Room

Floor in the dining room near the fruit juice was sticky.

Breakfast. Close to the city center, restaurants and supermarkets.

Central area. Nice breakfast

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Poor breakfast. Room dirty and smelling smoke from cigarettes.

Pretty close to downtown.

• Standard Single Room

neighbours were very noisy almost in the night, the bed is very soft

Great hotel when you're on a budget. Room's clean and tidy, staff very friendly and helpful. Good selection of food served at breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

If you're leg-weary and staying on the 5th floor...The lift is very tiny...

Clean and comfortable. Good wifi in rooms. Great choices at breakfast.

• Standard Single Room

The room too small ,bathroom poor lighting,towels cheap,old,room need repairs.

The staff was friendly.