Reviews of MEININGER Hotel München City Center This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Landsberger Strasse 20, Schwanthalerhöhe, 80339 Munich, Germany

#286 of 349 hotels in Munich

Based on 2035 hotel reviews

We stayed 3 nights. Towels were not provided by house keeping staff. Had to go down to get them on all 3 mornings. Sheets were not changed. Couldn't take the complementary guided tour since the guide wasn't introduced to us though we were waiting at the reception before time.

Location was excellent. People at the reception were polite, smiling & helpful.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Dirty rooms, you have to pay to leave the luggage, the smell is not good, it looks like a hospital.

Good staff. A little bit far from the center but 10’ with train.

The entire property is under renovations. There’s no air conditioning or fans and you can’t even open the windows. I wouldn’t come back here.

• Quadruple Room

Shortage of staff. There’s one poor guy at the counter managing breakfast coupons, check-ins, checkouts and coffee/bar counter. Breakfast buffeet could have been better.

Very centrally located and the staff is super helpful.

No AC. Very noisy if your room is facing the street front. It was very difficult to get into our room with the design of the door. The bed was not comfortable.

The location was great and the staff was very friendly. Extremely clean bathroom. Budget friendly.

• Bed in 12-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I enjoyed my stay with you, as the concept of a hybrid concept Hotel/Hostel is an excellent development. When I was perusing the internet to find out about budget accommodation in Munich, I was impressed by the twin bed room which was dressed in a red blanket/sheet over the white bed sheet's. The room appearance caught my attention, and I inquired further on the Meininger Site. I was unaware of the Meininger Company, and I noticed that you are expanding to a lot of major City's including Dublin, which is marvellous for economically priced weekend trips. I am thinking of returning to Munich for the Oktoberfest on the weekend, end of September this year, and I like the discount which you are offering on residing with Meininger in Munich and other locations in your system. I do not have Photograph's to hand as I use a disposable camera, and I do not have a Smart Phone.

I do not consume much at breakfast, cereal, tea/coffee slices of bread, spread and marmalade suffices me. The bunk bed's are clean well presented with a soft pillow. Your Staff are well mannered and friendly, and the facilities are excellent. I like the range of pocket sized information packs displayed at the side area at Reception and adjacent to the lift. The guest's who I met during my stay were well mannered and pleasant.

The elevator was unreliable and the room seemed smallish. There wasn't much room around the beds for luggage and walking.

The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. The location is very convenient, being near a local shopping center and the subway, and close to the central station.

• Quadruple Room

dusty room! the room size is adequate, toilet is small, hair dryer broke down. Room is dusty. otherwise the room is pretty basic, no drinking water provided. no air conditioner, a bit stuffy when window are closed, can be quite noisy if the window is opened.

the room size is adequate. relatively near to the train station, about 7-10 min walk. near to a highly recommended restaurant with nice food and good beer ( just opposite )

• Bed in 12-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

It was spacious and cleaner than I expected. The mattresses were also quite comfortable. Great price! Not too far from the city center, very close to bus station. Perfect for flixbus users! The reception was also very nice :)

• Bed in 12-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

für das Geld alles war sehr gut!

for this Money is absolutelly must have! very cool place in the City centre. If anyone wants to have a Party or just sleep this place is perfect!

• Bed in 12-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

- There's only one bathroom per 8 beds but that's quite okay for me and it's really clean. - I don't think they have the common where you can store your food and stuff at the fridge etc.

- The room is really clean and the bed is comfy. - The staffs are very friendly and helpful - The location is about 10-20 mins walk from the main train station and super easy to find. Also there's a tram stop nearby. - Don't worry! There's elevator.

• Bed in 12-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I was on a long trip to Europe. Traveled to several countries and stayed in hostels. The most wired thing that I just saw in this hostel was that there was charging facilities beside your bed. Nowadays, your mobile or power bank is the most integral part of your travel especially when you are traveling to new places. In a room of 6 or 8 beds, there are only 3-4 power outlets which must be shared among all the people. Otherwise, you have to leave your mobile, power bank or laptop in the middle of the room to get it charged... only if the power outlet is available. On more thing is it's not extremely close to the city center. You have to take a tram or a train to reach there. tram and trains are not very easy in Munich, a bit confusing to understand as a very new person in that city.

Clean and tidy property. Not a bad option for a short stay.

• Bed in 12-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Only a few wall outlets in the corners of the room. Elevator was not very reliable. They charge for using lockers downstairs. Staff are not very friendly and check-in had a long wait.

Comfortable beds, reasonably quiet, location near the s-train, nice (small) guest kitchen. Lockers under bed were convenient and reasonably large, but won't hold fat backpacks.

• Bed in 12-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

8 people room was in fact divided in two smaller rooms which I found great. There was a toilet and separately the shower. The room and bathroom looked nice, bed was comfortable. Location is good as well - 15 minutes walking from the main train station. Overall I am satisfied with my stay and would recommend this hostel to my friends.

• 5-Bed Room

The curtains in the bedroom could have been a bit bigger and darker. The early morning sun really came into the room.

Room was very clean and well presented. Beds were very comfortable and toilet facilities very clean .

The rooms are very noisy due to bad now proofing... Leading to disturbed sleep...

Or was very close to the train station and can reach any place within 10 min

The room was not properly cleaned after the previous guest. Noise in the night, but this in acceptable, as the hotel is more a hostel, full of young people.

Reception staff

The rooms are very basic. The bed mattresses were very low quality. I even felt pain when I woke up in morning . No ventilation in rooms which makes then a bit stinky. The staff was friendly and tried to support but because of such low quality standards, they could not help much. I surely do not recommend this hotel for a family or couple.

The location was great. Very near to main station and city centre .

• 5-Bed Room

Street traffic was noisy. Problem with toilet not flushing had to be reported twice before it was attended to.

The location was convenient and the facilities adequate.

Breakfast was expensive for what it was so we went to a cafe the other mornings.

Fantastic location. Ideal for groups. Friendly and helpful staff. Clean facilities. Great bar.

Room was really bad. Looks like has been not renovated for ages. Beds not comfortable at all. Don't want to have such experience again.

Nice location. Cool reception stuff.

• 5-Bed Room

Needs recycling in community kitchen and shampoo/condition in the rooms.

Community kitchen was an excellent feature. Room was so clean! Staff was extra friendly and helpful.

• 5-Bed Room

The location was okay. Parking was easy. We really enjoyed having such a large room. Within walking distance to the train station and grocery stores. There is also a bakery very close.

• 6-Bed Room

Building is a bit older and parking can be challenging. It's about a 5 minute walk to the S Bahn and a 10 minute ride to Marienplatz.

A basic but clean hotel with friendly staff. It's sort of one step above a hostel but quite pleasant. Our room had a nice hot shower and breakfast was great.

• Quadruple Room

one staff member who had an attitude problem

We had an incident with a member of staff When reported to manager it was dealt with very professionally and we were compensated with complimentary breakfast and a drink at the bar

• 5-Bed Room

Maybe kind of noisy for some people, but ok for us. No breakfast. Only soft drinks in bottles and sandwiched available in the late night.

A youth hotel. The facilities here are satisfying. Beds are soft. Toilet and bathroom are clean and separated. Good wifi quality. We 4 people ordered a 5-people room and there're 6 beds in our room which is good. Enough space for suitcases. Nice staff at reception.

• Quadruple Room

- wifi very slow - beds made, but not the bunk bed (too much work? too less salary? nobody knows) - one towel pro person for the whole stay (they dont change it every day) - room for 4 people with a very tiny wardrobe

- wifi - low price - central position

• 5-Bed Room

Very good price for what it is, comfy place, very clean, breakfast ok. I really enjoyed my stay, it was way better than what I expected! I’d go back!!

• 5-Bed Room

they should write in the facility that the storage luggage are locker not a store room, so we know it does not fit a group of family to stay in this hotel.

• Quadruple Room

I booked for 2 nights here which I've been paid. I came to checked in on the 2nd day they told me that i do not have a reservation room due to I checked in on the 2nd day. My booking will be cancelled automatically. I assumed we(guest) who paid for the room have the right to hold the room as we has been paid for it no matter the guest coming or absent without any notice. The receptionist told me I'm lucky enough there is a room available, but i would said it supposed to be a room for me. From this happen and the storage its really give me a bad experience. I will never choose Meininger Hotel anymore in my future trip which couldn't full filled my need. thank you for the service.

We were 9 and shared 2 private rooms. Everything was perfect but we didn't understand we staff only set the bed sheets for the lower beds but not for the upper of our bunks.

Extra clean! Great location great price!

Rooms are way to small,double bed is actually 2 connected twin beds and it was not good to sleep there at all.Check in took forever and price changed when we arrived even that we booked in advance.Its noisy.i would not recommend.

Location was ok

• Double Room for Single Use

First night: ok Second night: a group of young people arraived. They ran between the rooms the whole night. Unfortunalty the doors are closing with a VERY anoying and loud sound so you hear it even many rooms away. Practically it makes a good sleep impossible. In theory they have secrutiy which should take care of this but in fact they didnt. Later some guy started to play gitare in the middle of the night and no one told him to stop. Third night: i asked for a room away from the group. They staff is helpful and they gave another one - the only kudos goes to the staff. The room seemed to be ok. I only understood somewhat later why i can hear the street so well - the insulation of the windows ist just a crap. Air can pass between the frame and the window without any problem. If you push the window you can really hear that it gets quieter and the airflow stops. I have been to this hotel 4-5 years ago and had no problem. I visited other hotels in the chain - and they were all decent. It seems to me that they did not invest in this one for many years and it just got somewhat "worn out".

The staff is very helpful

• Double Room for Single Use

Being from India, I did not find any suitable option in breakfast to eat. The menu can be planned better to cover the guests.

Staff was friendly and considerate. Was treated warmly. Thanks!

• 6-Bed Room

Only one slight issue was the pillows were very soft and didn’t offer much support

The price was superb, the staff were very friendly and the hotel was clean. There was free WiFi and you could get drinks and snacks from reception.

The female staff was not very welcoming and friendly. She gave us the smallest room with a broken toilet. Thankfully, the other staffs were very helpful and helped us changed the room.

The location was great. It was not very far from the train station and the city center.

• 5-Bed Room

Bit noisy at night with street noise. Curtain kept falling off the track

Easy enough walk to the city centre (although a bit further than we originally thought). Excellent begs and facilities. Good breakfast for an extra €6

• Quadruple Room

Although the room was for a group of 4, there were only 3 chairs in the room. Left my watch in my room accidentally but the staff were not able to recover it for me as the next occupants have moved in already. Totally understand the rationale though.

We had a really lovely stay at Meininger Hotel in Munich! The location was great as it was just a mere 5 minutes walk away from the central bus station in Munich. The staff were really friendly and welcoming, and made check-in and check-out hassle free. The room was really spacious for a group of 4 and was really clean as well. The beds and blankets were really comfortable to sleep in as well and we had a great rest throughout our stay. If you ever have the need, there is a laundry room as well! Lockers to store your luggage were also available for a small fee (4-6 euros).

• Quadruple Room

My bed had a spring that was sticking out and that was uncomfortable

Liked the fact that it wad affordable and still comfortable and located near to transport.

• 5-Bed Room

Hotel doesn't offer meals other than breakfast.

The staff is great, they are friendly and very helpful. The hotel is clean. The location is good, near the train station.

• 5-Bed Room

The hallway and street was very noisy. Each time a door across the hall would close it would cause our door to rattle.

Excellent room for a group of people, we had 2 sets of bunk beds and 2 twin beds- able to fit 6 people although there is only 1 bathroom but the shower and toilet are separate doors which is helpful for accommodating all guests. The location was nice, right across the street is Augustiner Brewery, good beer and food. Walking distance to city center, approximately 15 minutes or public transportation is accessible as well. Room was clean. Staff was friendly.

• 5-Bed Room

The shower was extremely small and the window was somehow broken and the voices of cars on the road was quite loud.

The staff at the reception was amazing, he was very helpful and kind.

• 5-Bed Room

A bit expensive for room of its type but it comes with quality

Clean, comfortable, good location. Just a bit far from Hbf but close to s-bahn and tram stattion. Very quiet. Bathroom was good. The shower and toilet was separated which was good for travelling with group. Would recommend to anyone

• 5-Bed Room

We are a family of 5 people (2 adults + 3 children). There were 3 double bunks in the room. It was like a ship's room. When we arrived, the 3 bunk beds had been laid down and the upper ones were without linen. when we complained we were told that we must make them ourselves !!! After a pressure from us came a boy and laid the linen. We slept for 3 nights and every day laid down the lower beds and not the upstairs. maybe it was not high enough .. The staff does not speak English well. But the strange thing was that some did not even speak German well !!!!. The elevator is one for all floors and in peak hours you have to wait several minutes.

Secure parking, but with extra charge. Close to tram and train stations.

• 5-Bed Room

I've asked for early check-ib but didn't get it. I've asked for late check out and it was an extra charge. Drain in the shower was almost completely clogged so one person could take shower for two minutes before waiting for long time for water to drain. Kitchen for guests was very dirty.

• 5-Bed Room

The room was small and the beds were not comfortable there was no view from the room

The breakfast good the staff very nice and friendly near to tram and bus station

• Quadruple Room

Housekeeping needs improvement. We had a family room with a 2-tier bunk bed for the kids but the bedsheets for the upper deck was placed at one side and not even done up when we checked in. Our towels were not changed during our entire 5 nights stay and the room was also not sweep.

Very friendly and helpful staffs at the front desk. Excellent wifi signal in the room. Hairdryer was available in the room.

• 5-Bed Room

We got a private room with bathroom for 6 people. There is only 1 separate toilet and 1 bath. There is also just 1 small elevator.

Location is good! It was almost across the the street from the famous Augustinian Brewery. There is also a tram station about 50m from the property. The city center is about 10-15 mins away by tram. And the central bus station and some trains are just 11 minutes away by foot. We were also free to use their guest kitchen anytime we liked. The laundry self-service is a little bit cheap too. And the New Europe Sandeman’s Free Walking Tour picks up from their reception everyday at 9:45AM! How convenient! We got a private room with bathroom for 6 people. There are at least 5 big windows in our room!

Room service would not replace towels after cleaning the rooms. Needed to be constantly reminded. Always reminded to add extra toilet paper. Tv didnt work.pillows we too soft a d shower handled in a weirdspot. Burn yourself when in shower because u would accidentally hit it and make it really hot.not expecting 5 star for what we pay but basic changing towels isn’t that hard. Also our room keys wouldn’t let us into the rooms. Had to goto reception a few times to reset.

Great location, close to train station and trams.

• Quadruple Room

Ventilator in bath room could not be turned off (noisy). Computer in reception area only for money- strange Hotel has free WiFi. Limited bar time, would be nice to have it extended.

Location is great, very central.

• 5-Bed Room

They didn't give us towel when it's included in the description in booking.com and their own website. We also found 2 small bugs in our room and told the people in reception. They gave us free drinks after telling them and said that they will take it seriously and clean the room

It was neat and close to the city center. Considering cheap for one night

• 5-Bed Room

They gave another person a key to my room before I had checked out. One hour before my ckeckout, an unknown person barges into the room, unannounced, eventhough I paid for the whole room for myself... That's just unacceptable to me.

The staff at the reception was nice and helpful. Their breakfast is really good for the price. The room was neat and clean.

Clean and tidy budget stay. Staff were friendly and eager to help. They gave me tips on how to make the most of my 2 nights and the christmas market. Located close to public transport. However I choose to walk the 30mins into town as it is a pleasant walk. Friendly atmosphere.

• 6-Bed Room

The beds were not as comfortable - a double bed is made up of 2 single beds. The location was not as near to the city centre - approx 20mins walk. Had to pay for baggage storage and safes to keep your valuables. Parking around the area was hard to find.

The staff were very friendly.

• 5-Bed Room

Property was a 5/10 mins walk from the train station which is just a few stops from the centre of Munich. Rooms were large enough for the group to stay comfortably. Comfortable beds, bar area with reasonably priced drinks. Would definitely recommend, excellent value for money

• 6-Bed Room

Really wonderful staffand location just few minutes walk to central station and tram, very clean and confortable. Breakfast very good too. First experience in a Meininger Hotel, but sure not last!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• 6-Bed Room

I booked 6 bed in one bed room. The first day I stayed, the 3 beds on the top didn't be made. We have to did it by ourselves, pillowcase, duvet cover and bed cover. The second day when we back to our room, it did not clean and the 3 towels did not change. I used to stay in the same hotel in Salzburg, it was clean and better than in Munich.

The location is good.

The staff was polite but not really professional. I have an impression that some of them sometimes enjoyed themselves too much, instead of concentrating on the jobs or tasks before them. Not very impressive. There was a construction site nearby so some of our friends were effected from the noise nearby. The lift was broken for two days, had to take the stairs. The decoration was tasteful, yet old and rather dated. If have to come back, I might re consider.

The value for money, I think. The facility in the room is enough. The location is acceptable.

There is only one elevator in the hotel which is insufficient for the total capacity of the rooms . Room size is kept to a minimum for 2 full size beds and 1 full size sofa bed so the furniture is small ( one half size table and one half size wardrobe closet ). Big group of teenagers was staying on the same floor, making noise in the corridor even after midnight.

Location is very good in the main street going to the city center with tramway station only 50 meters away. Underground parking has easy access and parking capacity for ten cars. Bathrooms is very big with standard size shower cabin and a hair dryer. Glass cups in the bathroom are available. Full size beds and full size sofa bed are comfortable for sleeping. Restaurant offers all you can eat standard cold meals and salads with a variety of bakery products for breakfast. Heating in the room is good. Good value for money budget hotel/hostel.

As a solo female traveler, the only thing I require from a hotel is that I feel safe. This property is perfect for my needs EXCEPT there is no way to lock/bolt yourself inside. It is keycard access. While I was inside the room, hotel staff opened my door 3 times.

Super convenient location, easy to walk from the train station/central bus station (with a heavy suitcase) to the hotel. Very clean, simple, nice facilities.

I wasn't sure about towels' cleanliness. Room window was near the construction. A little bit small room for 2 adults with 2 suitcases.

Room was clean. Hotel is very close to subway and bus station. Very close to Lidl. Staff were very kind. Cost/value is very good. Wifi was great. There were a lot plug socket at the room for phone and powerbank batteries :)

• 5-Bed Room

The room lighting can be brighter, as it was dim. Also would suggest to combine double and bunk beds, like in our previous room in our stay on 22nd Nov, rather than all bunk beds.

Value for money, near by ZOB, Munich Hackerbrücke train station, tram stop and slightly distance to Munich main train station. The shower and toilet are separated, no longer queues for having more than 4 people in the room for showering, etc. Many thanks to the lady reception who advised me to take train S28 which is straight and lesser time to reach Munich airport.

• Double Room for Single Use

The hotel can’t really be blamed for this but the walls are a bit thin so it was a bit annoying when drunken people staying in rooms on my same floor would return late at night since you could hear all the noise they made in the hallway. It woke me up a couple of times.

Great location, one of the best beer halls is literally across the street. Very close/short walk to Hackerbrücke station, which is one stop away from main station and three away from Marienplatz. Staff was very kind. Train tickets are sold at the front counter, which was convenient.

• 5-Bed Room

Very small shower room. Be careful when opening the shower screen door, it may break if hitting the shower mixer too hard.

Large room to accommodate a family. The bedroom, shower and toilet are clean. Really value for money if you travel with family. Just few meters away from the tram stop.

• 5-Bed Room

The parking is quite difficult to drive in. The elevator is pretty small. Its location is too far to walk to Hauptbahnhof. We stayed 2 nights. Day one we got quad room which had one double bed and 2 bulk beds but day two the hotel provided us the different room which had 6 bulk beds He said I booked 2 reservation numbers that let him unable to provide us the same room. I made 2 bookings because of no room 4 persons on day two if booking directly on owner website.

Had issues with the shower water getting out and took 2 days to get it sorted.

It was not too far from the city center. Breakfast was available. Beds were comfortable.

Bunk beds.

We booked a room for 4 person but insteed we got a room for 6 person which is great because extra room is always freat. The room was basic but bathroom and toilette were seperated. We liked that. The hotel is close to the bus station and the location is ok. Great for spending one night.

The lift is too small, only 3 people with luggages can be packed into it for each time.

I stayed in triple bed room which is big enough for 3 people. The heater worked well, wifi signal was strong, room and bed was clean. The location is in walking distance from S-bahn station. There are a nice beer hall opposite the hotel. Staffs are very nice and helpful. They also provide locker room as well. This place really value for money.

When we arrived the extra bed was not ready, the gentlemen at the reception tried his best to help us and as he was not from housekeeping it was hard for him to make a bed for us. i think it is a bit pricey for what got.

it is close to the city center, it a few tram stops away.

• 5-Bed Room

The decor & carpet was dated, both in our room & in the hallway. The bathroom was small & the shower had draining issues.

We stayed in a family room that fit 5 comfortably. The location was good with easy walking access to restaurants, grocery stores & public transportation. Parking was offered. It was one of the more affordable locations.

• 5-Bed Room

It was quite dirty (found dirty tissues under our beds). The beds were also very uncomfortable, the shower was just about hanging on the wall and was either boiling or freezing. The bar was never open and the pool table was out of order, they also stopped serving their over priced alcohol very early. Lift took ages to come and was very small and felt unsafe so ended up sweating up the stairs.

Staff were polite and helpful. It was easy to access and a fairly decent location, as a bonus There was a really nice beer hall across the road.

if you need to use luggage room, you should pay for that

Good location, clean room, friendly personal. We have early flight and staff propose us early check-in.

The lift is small with only one unit

Affordable hotel within Munich . Just about 5 minutes walk to the intercity bus station ( ZOB Munich ) and a walking 10 mins walk to the Central Train Station. The room is size is acceptble to the European standard and very clean. Very nice and attractive bathroom.

• 5-Bed Room

The cleaners came in our room in the morning and left the door open. It was ok as nothing was taken but it could've. The member of staff on reception at night was quite rude.

Good price, good location and very welcoming. No reason not to stay again.

The worst thing is if you get the room facing south during summer as one of our rooms. It is VERY HOT and NOISY then, as soon as you have quite busy street down there and no a/c in the room. Another thing is parking. Despite the fact that it costs 10€/day, it is very hard to reach the hotline to reserve it and they just don't care about messages at booking.com. Good thing is that one can use street parking nearby for 6€/day. The elevator is tiny and definitely not enough for such a big hotel.

It is a hostel-like place not far from the main station and city center. The rooms are clean, good equipped. There is a big open terrace on the second floor. The staff onsite is helpful. If you're lucky, everything can be okay (see cons).

Browse MEININGER Hotel München City Center traveller photo gallery