Reviews of Novotel Köln City This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Bayenstr. 51, Altstadt-Sued, 50678 Cologne, Germany

#94 of 223 hotels in Cologne

• Standard Triple Room

Expected 2 double beds but got 1 double and a sofa bed. Didn’t have long in Cologne and I was quite tired on arrival so instead of negotiating with reception we just got out to see some sights. The sofa bed was a bit hard so not the best nights sleep for me but the other two were ok in the double bed.

High quality hotel, very clean, friendly efficient staff, parking under the hotel, good location, contemporary decor, soundproofed rooms.

• Standard Triple Room

there isnot super market and food near to hotel

staff is very kindly the room was clean . good size. hotel is modern. easy access to city center. in front of rhain river great breackfast toys for children

• Superior Queen Room

Bed was not so good and very noisy with clinks and clunks every time someone stands or lays down. Very irritating and disappointing from a hotel of this level. Bathroom ventilation was also poor.

Hotel was generally clean and nice. Shower was good.

• Standard Queen Room

The bar and snack/drinks at reception were really overpriced.

The room was amazing. Bed and TV massive to relax after a day sightseeing. Clean and modern also. It is 10/15 minute walk into the centre of the city which was ok in the daytime but was a bit off putting after dark down the dark streets with not many people being around. Staff were amazing especially as we had a flight in the early hours the night manager was super helpful when our taxi didn’t turn up in sorting one to get to us ASAP. Wish I had taken his name to send some feedback straight to the company.

• Standard Triple Room

At the reception when we checked in, the receptionist ask as to pay for the parking, and we payed 51€ for three night and then when we checked out they said we didn’t payed it. The receptionist ‘forgot’ to give us the invoice what is a shame. Because of this we were needed to pay again 51€ for tha parking... without asking us, they just took the money from my account. Future guests, be careful...!

Nice hotel with good rooms.

• Standard Queen Room

Maybe some more choices on the menu for dinner...after long journey or meeting session, a tasty/good quality main course with good wine is always more than welcome. Next time...

• Standard Queen Room

Internet was not great at all.

The room was clean, good size, and comfortable. The breakfast was fantastic; best I have ever experience at a business hotel. Bed was comfortable, easy sleeps.

• Standard Triple Room

Front desk would not answer the phone and did not have any ideas or suggestions for late night food. We were 30 minutes away from room service ending and they would not serve us.

Clean, modern, newer. Easy 15 minute walk to city center.

• Standard Room with twin beds

They couldn't satisfy me for a welcome, and most important another. The subject is, according to the price I booked my hotel via booking.com. I am the member of Accor hotels but in the Accor hotels system, the price was high even for members. As I reserved 3 rooms for 4 nights by booking.com they didn't give me any points to my loyalty card!!!! For my stying, they must give me the points so as they didn't do finally I will leave the Accor hotel group anyway. It is better according to my selection the hotel in this group they give me my points so for next times I will check the prices in the other hotels not only in the Accor hotels group in the booking.com. Point is Point for staying and it doesn't relations to the discount of the hotel to the booking.com. Best

Welcome drink was only for 2 people!!! We paid by cash for 4 other guests,

• Standard Queen Room

Was informed by the front desk that the refrigerator in the room was not a refrigerator, but a cooler. But it was putting out more heat than it was cooling. It is strange that the non refrigerator in the room looks like all of the other in room refrigerators in other hotels. I started with 2 glasses in the room, but ended with one glass, after informing the staff about the shortage. The breakfast bread selection though vast, the majority of the bread was hard (and gummy). The bread was not fresh or properly baked. The policy of the Accor Chain is that they will not acknowledge any reservations that are made through a second company (Booking.com, etc) to receive loyalty points. So please beware!!

The location of the hotel was excellent.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast could have been offered with the price of the room.

Bed was comfortable and the room was spotless. Smart TV 55 inch adds to the pluses.Bathroom was great too. Appreciated the bath gels and shampoo of Fair Trade. Room has a kettle and mugs which is great for coffee lovers.

• Superior Queen Room

The ladies at the reception did not even smile when you pass by. Mostly racist I guess or they just don’t care. They do help when you ask questions. However not proactive.

The food was good and the location.

• Standard Triple Room

Mattresses were so-so. Breakfast buffet was not bad, but there’s opportunity for making it better.

How everything was new, clean and bigger than expected. Also found location ideal.

• Superior Queen Room

Booking.com mentioned a bath in the room, which wasnt the case. I checked at the hotel and they dont have any baths in tooms. Not the hotels fault but an error on booking.com’s part.

Nice staff and great breakfast. A babybed was ready for us and nice toiletries.

• Standard Triple Room

Nothing needed to make it better.

Absolutely brilliant - nothing was too much trouble. Room spacious and clean. Our room faced the front on the very busy main road - window shut out noise completely and air conditioning available for warmer nights. Kettle, hairdryer, TV all there. Chef was contacted both nights to ask for a specially prepared meal - delicious and large vegan meal prepared with no hassle. Chef spoke to us at breakfast as we couldn't work out which bread was vegan - he showed us and went to get soya milk for us. Underground parking was reasonable price.

• Standard Triple Room

We didn't use the facilities much so nothing much to say. A little further out of the city than we would like, but it was difficult to get a family room anywhere else.

Very clean modern hotel, comfy beds, a small fridge in the room, massive TV. The bathroom was ultra modern with a good shower and well lit mirror. We had breakfast in a local bakery which was 5min walk away and cost less than 5euro pp. (19euro in hotel).

• Standard Queen Room

The temperature was too high. I tried to regulate it with the thermostat, even at 10° celsius to no avail. I can work thermostats very well by the way. The man at check out i think can't smile, i would like a smile, need a bit of understanding of public relations.

Breakfast was very good. The room was very bright and the view of the neighbourhood nice. Clean.

• Standard Triple Room

The hotel location was good and everything in the hotel was as described in the booking.com. No surprises. I noticed a long quque for breakfast, I was happy that I booked without breakfast so it didn't affect me!...

• Standard Queen Room

It was very busy at the breakfast room.. waiting line was long at the weekend

Family room with minions drawing at the wall, even a kid towel... kids were thrilled:) Walking distance (10 minutes) to downtown

Breakfast was too expensive at €19 per person. We had breakfast out of the hotel.

It was clean,modern & rooms were a good size.The beds very comfortable. The Staff were friendly & helpful. We would definitely stay in a Novotel hotel again.

• Standard Queen Room

the staff are busy with themselves more than with the hotel guests. One of the young women (the bossy blond in her 30s) even felt it necessary to continually overcheck her colleague (i.e. interfer) and was also most unhelpful to us, even rude (she needs retraining or firing). The elderly gentleman was polite.

good breakfast

Staff were not that friendly Didn't want to swap a variety of tea bag given in room (telling us if we wanted a normal cup of tea go buy it in the bar) No room service menu in room Rang to request Told to come and get one When refused they said they would bring one and they never did The menu was very small - in main restaurant - limited choice No swimming pool

The most modern and chic Novotel I've stayed in in terms of decor Easy parking Food was good

It is a modern city hotel totally "Novotel" standard. At the time I booked no really reasonable package was available with breakfast. I think this is not intelligent from the hotel as they only loose revenue. We found a very, very good bakery near the river 200mts from the hotel where we (5) had very good breakfast for a little bit more than the price for 1(!) at the hotel....

Very well located within waliking distance of city center as well as the new dock area

• Standard Triple Room

Staff were really unfriendly, didn't bother telling us about the check out time so I had to call down to find out. It's a nice place if you're staying with family, as it caters for that, however it really did not meet my expectations.

Speaker system in the bathroom linked to the tv, bed was comfy and all the linen was soft.

• Superior Queen Room (3 Adults)

All was lovely. I have no negative comments.

Friendly helpful staff. Fantastic facilities. Clean, modern, air conditioned therefore excellent for hot weather. The location is within walking distance of sights. Walking the river path (across the street from hotel) would be the most scenic. The breakfast was absolutely fabulous. They had the largest breakfast choices and variety of options that we have experienced in our travels in Germany. Delicious! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Standard Triple Room

I didn't like the price they charged for using the parking it was very expensive two half day car park and I paid €17. I found out the parking cost in city centre it for cheaper than the hotel

What I like it was the area which it was close to the chocolate museum and town centre

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Superior Queen Room

The bed making for the second day was halfway, they did not change towels, sheets anything and glasses.

The breakfast were good, but as the accimodation fee is not so reasonable.

• Standard Triple Room

The staff dint accommodate slightly early check-in. (Check-in was 1500hrs and we reached 1300hrs). no 'xtra mile' effort taken for good hospitality

Very clean and tidy. Good Wifi Paid parking

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Bed for children was a little small for our 13 & 9 year old boys. Breakfast was overpriced.

Yes, free wifi! Massive TV. Very quiet room. Nice view of river.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The staff were unreal and pretended they had no booking for is from Booking.com. After 25 mins on the phone they produced ALL our keys already written out. Cost of call down to us. They were tryingnto make us pay the "just walked in rate" dispite us booking over 2 months ago. After this they tried charging us for spilling a drink accidentally in the communal area. Something i am sure happens in every hotel in every city every so often!! We (17 in total) will NEVER stay at a Novotel again. This upset our whole experience of Koln. Totally disgusted.

Not too far from the city centre stil cost €30 in a cab lots of closer hotels.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

At the first day gave us only one card for 3 persons in the room, but you must use room card even to go up with lift or upstairs, but in the same time, when you take off the card from the slot, there is no electricity in the room.

Breakfast is excellent, everything is new, our room conditions included sauna and minibar. Location is very good - 15-20 min. by foot to the Old town and 5 min. to the Chocolate museum and bus stop for line 133 to the Central Rail Station.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The service, the drilling noise every morning when trying to sleep, had to ring 3 times for towels, everything, wouldn't stay again.

The location was good.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Superior Queen Room (3 Adults)

The rooms were about the modernised and you could tell. Ours was out-of-date and smelled of smoke. On our day of check-out we had no electricity while they pulled out the tvs from the other bedrooms. Packing in the pitch black wasn't much fun and we couldn't use the TV, hair straightners or boil the kettle. When I ask reception to help they said to put our room key into the power source by the front door, only we didn't have one of those in our room! We were also interrupted with regular visits from staff, who would often enter the room without knocking.

The staff were very friendly and spoke good English. The late check-out option at 5pm for 20 Euros was a handy with a late return flight.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Bad wi-fi signal, using the computer in the lounge was time-consuming, requesting registration with each entry. In general, hotel was cold - not frienly enviroment. Although requested during booking, breakfast not included in the price. We are not going to book again any Novotel hotel!

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Superior Queen Room (3 Adults)

well easy change the bad in the list to better and ....

unfriendly staff at the reception, while taking full price for the third person at room the bad is a real uncomfortable foldable sofa, the room sold as a superior triple room but consists in a normal small size double room. Newly designed room with extra uncomfort design unusable toilet and a basin that drip all around, this is just to complete the over all design which gives you the feeling when you arrive there that you are in a kindergarten, crazy high expensive parking cost makes the whole experience a very bad one, never again !!!! n.b. to do not mention that during our stay the hotel was under works with noise and painting odor ( this would be acceptable if nothing from the rest wouldn't be )

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Standard Triple Room

Building work is currently ongoing at the hotel. Unfortunately this was not mentioned to us prior to booking our stay here, or even a week prior to arriving. When you arrive at the hotel you will see a large sign letting you know this, so if like us you arrive at 11pm and have nowhere else to stay, be prepared to be woken up bright and early with hammering and drilling at 8am. We were then told we could cancel and go elsewhere, but nothing else can be done apart from a free breakfast. We were not travelling on business and not planning on being awake at 8am every day of our vacation. Work is still ongoing and not planned to finish until the new year. Take my advice and book something else until then.

Decent location and facilities. Very good food.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Staff really not friendly - most unfriendly check in we've encountered in many years of travelling.

Nice location in quiet area. Free WiFi with OK connection.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Standard Triple Room

Reception staff need to be more smiling and more interacting. They didn't even bother to check if there was a room available for early check-in (noon apparently doesn't qualify as early check-in!). They disregarded the request which was placed when the room was booked breakfast could be included in the price

the hotel was overall good. loved the location

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Great location, very clean rooms with everything you need and plenty of room for a family of five. Parking very handy too. Hotel close to tram and easy access to centre.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Superior Queen Room (3 Adults)

The night staff, or one particular guy, who was a jerk and lied to his boss about what had happened when confronted.

Great breakfast, clean room, comfy bed. Friendly staff (mostly).

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Standard Triple Room

A pretty good distance by foot from main areas of town. Didn't feel the location justified the price.

Nice rooms and lobby. Beds were comfortable and room was very modern and clean

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Superior Queen Room (3 Adults)

Not enough wardrobe space or drawer space for 3 people for a week. Too much desk space - a mirror on the desk would have been better so that you could at least sit down when doing hair and make up. Fan in bathroom didn't seem to work properly?

Bed comfy. Breakfast choices great.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Standard Triple Room

The carpets in common areas on residential floors were really filthy. Same in the access from the underground carpark. I didn't expect to see something like that in Novotel. Certainly not 4* quality. Later I learnt that the hotel was under refurbishment works, so I guess no one really cared about the cleanliness. By the way Booking.com should have advised about this impediment at the moment of booking!! Way, way overpriced breakfast for €19, considering the very "budget" feel of the place.

The location is quite reasonable, in close proximity to Rheinauhalfen.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The room could have been a little bit bigger. My sheets had some stains. There was a redecoration going on during our stay and a wall drilling could be heard in the day time.

The room and the bathroom were very clean. Additionaly, a cleaning lady appeared every day to make our beds, change the towels and replenish our tea supplies. Tv, safe, kettle, tea, and coffee available in the room. The windows were really soundproof and it was fantastic since we had the room with a street view. A very nice staff. A pretty good location, 5mins away from the nearest underground station. It was a very pleasent stay, I would recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Standard Triple Room

The hotel was renovating the bathrooms when we stayed and were woken every morning at 8am by drilling noise and banging. I videoed the noise - shame I can not upload it.

Modern bar and restaurant.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

• Standard Triple Room

Just feel that the staff was impersonal when I requested to borrow cutlery. I was asked to come down myself to collect it when there was someone in the restaurant which could have brought it up as an additional service. When we requested for additional coffee packets for the room, the girl sending it was unfriendly and no smiles. Strange that when we asked coffee, she just brought 2 packets and didn't bring sugar along. Do we really need to detail our requirement? She also didn't bring any creamer. We booked the room for 3 persons thus we would expect that the condiments would be enough for 3 but it clearly wasn't. The coffee bar were not at all stocked on the second day. The toilet hand tissues were not re-stocked.

Services from front desk was sufficient. Room service was prompt. Hotel design and ambiance was great. Check-in and check-out was a breeze and smooth.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Standard Triple Room

No swimming pool. I was sure I saw a swimming pool in the ad of this hotel, but turned out there wasn't one.

Cleanliness and professionalism were spot on. Staff were great with exception to 1 missed request. other than that, perfect.

Reception staff not friendly

Typical business hotel on the rhyne

• Standard Triple Room

Staff, location, room, food, all is perfect.

• Standard Queen Room

Not enough TV channels, extremely few in English, no slippers.

Nice big TV, comfortable bed, clean, quiet.

Pricey breakfast

Modern hotel

• Standard Triple Room

Nice hotel good location.

Excellent breakfast.

• Standard Triple Room

Breakfast buffet was of a high standard. Plenty of choice both hot and cold.

Location wasn’t ideal if you don’t drive. But 20 minute walk to city centre

Very clean hotel and friendly staff.

Very comfortable beds

Exactly what you expect en need. 15min walk from Altstadt. Nice hotel.

• Standard Queen Room

The Location is very and great breakfast buffet! Also clise connection to City Center

• Standard Queen Room

-limited toiletries in the bathroom - damp ceiling - drinking water bottle was 4.50 Eur extra

• Standard Queen Room

no hot water in showers! shower head broken dirty bathroom

• Standard Queen Room

Location was a bit far off but manageable

Clean and modern

• Standard Queen Room

The gym could have been a bit larger.

There is a gym at the top of the hotel with a view on Rhine.

Location was a bit of a walk from the city centre but not too bad

Rooms were excellent. Really big, clean and new looking.

• Superior Queen Room

Came late at breakfast and the buffet was not proposing eggs anymore

Very nice hotel and rooms.

• Superior Queen Room (3 Adults)

There was no tooth brush/toothpaste provided.

The room is very clean and the TV is really large. The breakfast was decent.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast was very good, lots of choices

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

staff at reception

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Standard Triple Room

We stayed in the triple room and the couch folded out into a bed and it was surprisingly comfortable!

• Superior Queen Room (3 Adults)

The location is excellent especially for the Christmas markets. The furthest market is around a 25 minuet wall. Such a beautiful city

• Standard Queen Room

The pillows not comfortable.

Everything was really good.

• Standard Queen Room

Small bathroom. Poor room service. Price.

Friendly staff

• Superior Queen Room

very bad old male receptionists who are not ready to assist client especially when your young.

English break fast

Very good location.

• Standard Triple Room

Bed and pillows are not the most comfortable that I’ve seen

• Standard Queen Room

I had wrong address in my bill and was surprised that it could not be corrected immediately but had to wait and then sent me the bill as scan

Browse Novotel Köln City traveller photo gallery