Reviews of Hotel Pension Dahlem This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Unter den Eichen 89a, Steglitz-Zehlendorf, 12205 Berlin, Germany

#89 of 107 B&Bs and Inns in Berlin

5.9

6.2

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Nothing like the advert, avoid at all costs!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

If you look at the pictures and then what I got they are a world apart. My room consisted of two beds with a VERY thin duvet and pillow on each. They were low and not comfortable. The duvet was stained on one bed so I swapped over for the one on the other, not much better. Did get changed after a couple of days but still not satisfactory. The floor was not carpeted in the room, there was a smell in the room that I could not pinpoint - wasn't horrific but not pleasant. There was no facilities in the room e.g. drink making facilities, phone. I would expect accommodation in a prison to be similar to what I experienced. How they can claim this was akin to a 3 star hotel is beyond me, it is blatant false advertising and something should be done. I'd have complained to the management if I'd got to see them. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worse enemy This is for room 208 Staff are conspicuous by their absence, reception desk is not oft staffed. Reception also looked more like a building site with materials on the floor in the reception area.

There really was nothing to like about this hotel, breakfast was edible and the food area clean. There said something

Only location

Breakfast is rather poor: poor selection of hams and cheeses. Shampoo is absent (staff helped giving some shampoo that was left by former clients). Noise from the street was rather strong in the morning

Only location

The Lady at breakfast was friendly and breakfast was OK.

Room needed attention. Lights above desk did not work and the room could have done with a good clean!

The Lady at breakfast was friendly and breakfast was OK.

Clean and big room whit balcony.
    • Family Room

No boiled eggs on breakfast, very poor breakfast all food out on warm, cheese, ham etc. Staff seem not to care.. store close by to go and get more eggs for customers but no.

Clean and big room whit balcony.

Cheap room, good for one night

The lady at the reception seemed a little grumpy, the room was clean but could be renovated. Overall impression was slightly shady.

Room and bathroom were very clean.

The bed was big enough for 2 people
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Breakfast wasnt good. They had just bread, cheese and salami. We had to share bathroom and toilet with other guests, The hallway light is very noisy when it comes on and i comes on everytime someone stepped into the hallway. Also, the staff were not so friendly

The bed was big enough for 2 people

A really old and basic infrastructure on a high price. Friendly people and ok breakfast.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The infrastructure of the hotel. I was surprised that it could be that old and not really maintained. Everything was extremely used and reminded a building/decoration of the 1970, the bathroom was shared, the room doors were a joke etc.

Stuff was pretty helpful and the breakfast was ok. The WIFI was really good for a hotel.

The room was very spacious and bright.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Nobody from the staff spoke English, which made communication a little difficult. Still, they were all very helpful, so everything worked out.

The room was very spacious and bright. I had to work at the Free University, so the location was excellent for me.

Only stay here if the location is really good for you and if you can sleep without curtains.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

- only transparant curtains - the light in the hall turns on automatically, but the sensor is too sensitive and goes on-off-on-off-on-off, which makes a very annoying sound - the atmosphere in the room is a bit like a hospital (not cosy at all) - the breakfast is minimalistic

There was a safe, so late check-in was rather easy.

Okay for a short stay, but possible first and last.

The room smelled strongly of old smoke. The bed was rather uncomfortable with a very thin blanket. In the whole, not a room where you would spend hours and like it.

The breakfast was excellent. The heating worked well. The room was clean and alright in size. It was good to have a single bathroom.

The room was really spacious and equipped with everything...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The hostel wi-fi was not working during my almost whole stay. I believe that's a problem which is not complicated to fix, so that should definitely have been better.

The room was really spacious and equipped with everything necessary; decently clean, pleasantly warm. The staff was very simple and clear with the instructions about everything regarding the stay, and very non-intrusive. Although room didn't have its own toilet and bathroom, but a shared one, there were more than one of those facilities on the floor and I personally didn't experience the situation that everything was occupied and that I had to wait. Both toilets and bathrooms were very clean as well.

A not inexpensive flophouse.

It is a very old and sleazy house and you hear everything from outside, especially from other guests. The room is next to the floor facilities, so I knew right after the first evening how many guests took a shower or visited the facilities and at which time. The room is equipped with a small cupboard and a French bed, which is really old and outworn - every single movement was accompanied by noises at it seems the bed would actually yelling on me like "one more time and something bad will happen..." There is also a small niche with a window and a chair, there is also a bigger bookshelf mounted in the heigh of about 110cm of the floor so it is a bit weird using it as a table.

The hotel was close to the University and it was the cheapest accommodation at this time and in this area.

Very good value for money
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Facilities and furniture are a bit run down, but not to the extent that it breaks down. Security is a bit of an issue, although I had no incident. The main door to the hotel seems to be open 24/7 (I arrived midnight, and it wasn't locked), and there is usually no one at the reception; doors for every floor/hallway are often not locked either (although that is also the fault of the other guests who apparently can't be bothered shutting/locking the door when going back to their rooms). The other guests (including women traveling on their own), didn't seem to worry though.

Room was big and comfortable enough. Furniture is a bit shabby, but is ok (bed, table, wardrobe), there was also a TV and a sink. Shared bathroom also ok, while basic. Location is superb, close to S-Bahn station (Lichterfelde West), bus station and main road. Shops, pharmacies, bakery, restaurants also nearby. Breakfast buffet is a basic continental one, but everything you need: coffee, tea, yogurt, rolls and bread, eggs, cheese and spreads. While not the most luxurious breakfast you'll ever have, it is more and better than what you get at many budget hotel chains (where you usually have to pay like 7 Euros extra for the pleasure). I didn't have much interaction with staff, as I paid online, but the interaction I had was friendly. For this kind of money, I don't think you'll have a reason to complain really. I am always a bit baffled by reviewers who apparently expect five star comfort for one star prices. You get what you pay for!

The breakfast was good and it was enough time for it from...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We heart the TV from the neighboring room. They switched on the TV already before 6. a.m., so we could not sleep enough in the morning. The bed was too soft.

The breakfast was good and it was enough time for it from 6:30 till 10:00. The location was good for us, it was close to the Botanical Garden.

Good place for two nights

The front desk staff did their job but didn't really make us feel welcome. Breakfast was ok but lacked variety.

The room was very individual furnished and spacious. The hotel is close to the S-Bahn which runs straight to the city center.

The location is good, and the hotel seems clean.

The reception may be an issue for business travelers, unfortunately. The check-in time is only up to 8 pm. When I arrived at 9:40 pm, even I rang the hotel bells 4 times and woke up other residents, no hotel staff came to let me in; I also tried to call the phones printed in their name card, no any answer after trying 5 calls (and I ran out of mobile battery)! Firstly, it is my mistake that I was not aware of it. The reception lady phoned me when I was on the train heading to Berlin. She spoke only German. When she realized that I don't know German, she immediately cut the phone. She may have tried to call me again (by having someone who can speak English), however, I was on the train, and the telecom signal was not at my side. I wrote her a message saying that I will arrive about 9:30 pm via booking.com, however, it seems too late ... so, it may not be fair for me to review this hotel, I could only say I think the reception could be an issue after all.

The location is good, and the hotel seems clean. But, to be honest, I do not have a chance to live here because when I arrived for checking-in, there is no one at the reception so I could not get my room at all.

Average but fair

At Breakfast a staff member couldn't deliver customer service and did not remove her face from playing with a mobile phone whilst making a conversation to customers. Had a loud knock on the door requesting payment before we even settled in. I would request to retrain staff.

Location and was clean. Room maid did a good job.

No English speaking staff, no elevator, no soap or shampoo,...

No English speaking staff, no elevator, no soap or shampoo, the room smelled as if the windows were never opened (even though I did opened them every day)

A good budget option in Steglitz/Dahlem, but byo soap and shampoo!

The breakfast was very basic (rolls, ham and cheese) and there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, nor any toiletries in the bathroom other than a soap dispenser on the wall near bathroom sink (not shower).

The hotel was very clean, the room was huge and the shower was also large with very good water pressure. The bed and bedding were all comfortable and the property had some original features. very good value for money, as long as you realise it is room and basic breakfast only. Very handy for the University and also Lichterfeld West train. Good eateries, supermarket, shops and 'village' atmosphere within 5 mins walk. A good budget option.

The stay made me want to come back to this place and use it again.
    • Family Room with Shared Bathroom

Overall, their service was impeccable. It would've been nicer if there was another key, for there were three of us in the group, but there was nothing really to complain about.

Only good as emergency not to end up in street.
    • Family Room with Shared Bathroom

Too basic, too far out, staff can only speak German, very tired 'hotel'. No lift. One night there was enough. Booked this place as emergency as for some reason most hotels were sold out.

great value for money
    • Family Room with Shared Bathroom

no english. shared bathroom facilities

great value for money. nice area. decent breakfast buffet. beds very compfy. balcony with the room overlooking a nice garden. close to public transport

You get what you pay for
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Carrying bags up 3 flights of stairs! Curtains that blocked no light. WiFi signal weak. Manner of staff not helpful at all.

Room was spacious. Beds comfortable. Facilities not far away. Breakfast was good.

I'd stay again!
    • Family Room

The hostess was a little brisk but the accomodations definitely made it worth it.

Beautiful structure, curved staircase, large room, clean bathroom, with a nice private veranda

excellent choice for me, better than what I expected.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

the receptionist lady is very rude and idiot, she is so irritable and doesn't understand English, she is a terrible communicator.. she asked me if I want to pay in cash or by visa and I told her in cash within 3 days as we agreed, on the third day she just withdrew the money from my balance without asking me and when I asked her why, she shouted, yelled and said she used to do that with all customers!!! Also, although the hotel is quiet, some guests and staff members speak loudly without consideration to other residents, I would say posting some clear signage for keeping quiet would be a good idea and staff member especially who are in the kitchen near rooms should be instructed to work in silence.

i like the location so much; being quiet although it's close to city center, close to FU Berlin and Wheliem Shreiber plaz for shopping is amazing, there was a bus station just in front of the hotel which I appreciated so much in addition to few surrounding cafes, restaurants and a supermarket which supplied all my needs without having to go so far... my room was clean, tidy, quiet, and very cozy..

Good location although very far from city center, bus stop...

Weekend breakfast starts too late if you need to leave early for the airport.

Good location although very far from city center, bus stop almost in front of the entrance door, S-Bahn station quite near (ca 5 minutes).

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Do not stay here.

The staff speaks only Russian and very little German. I could be forgivable if they were helpful, but they were not. I traveled with a little baby and asked for a place where I could store and / or heat food for her and I was told that nothing can be done. The bathroom in my room was not cleaned up even once during my whole stay, it means - for 13 days! Last day I was told that I have to leave the room before 11.30, despite the fact, that their website sais check-out to be at 12. And there is also no parking place in the hotel, one has to park on the street. WiFi was unstable and offered no steady connection to the Internet. To sum up - I do not recommend this hotel to anybody.

Definitely better than expected. I would consider this hotel/pension again.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

- Two nights of having to endure someone snoring through the walls - 9 rooms for 1 bathroom (1 toilet, 1 shower) on the floor my room was located

- Closeness to Charite campus - Closeness to Metro - Closeness to Aldi, Rossmann, Nahkauf etc. all within 4 min. of walking) - Street parking was basically a non-issue - Fairly big room

A mixed bag of sweet and sour experiences
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Rude lady(probably the owner) at the reception, gave us an earful (quite aggressive) for a whole 5 minutes as to how important it is to have a printed booking confirmation and that an electronic confirmation is no good (although I've been using electronic confirmations for the past 6 years for all bookings that I've made with booking.com). My 2 year old daughter got so scared (as she was with us at the reception when we were being shouted upon) that she cried every time she saw that lady and the first evening she wouldn't even get into the hotel (another long bout of crying) after we returned back from a trip of the city center. We kept quiet throughout the whole ordeal as I knew I'll have my opinions to express later in a review ;)

Location is great if you're visiting Berlin with your own transport. Quiet and clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Decent stay if you have business at the university

Slightly run down due to it being an old house, there was quite a bit of mold on one wall. Front door is open all night, and no night reception either. Breakfast ok, but very basic (good for 5€ though). Lady at reception was very nice but not very professional ...

Clean and reasonably new bath. Breakfast ok, but very basic (good for 5€ though). Comfy bed. Quiet in spite of the large street in front of the house.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Room size was good.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Our train had delayed and we arrived around 11 PM, the reception lady was very unpolite and literary through my card on the reception desk while paying. Shower drain wasn't working properly. We also asked for a taxi for next day morning and reception lady told us to ask the breakfast lady, but she said she can't do that.

Room size was good. Bus station very close by. The breakfast lady was nice but not helpful. Having breakfast is an advantage.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Adequate and relatively close to S-Bahn

Our room was not serviced for 2 consecutive days. The excuse was the housekeeping staff had run out of time. Breakfast was adequate. Sometimes no eggs or cucumber and tomato were available.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Mixed feelings

Foam pillows,shower holder and hose broken, smell in the toilet, noise from other guests during the night, no local information pack,no allocated car parking had to park on main road.

Breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The batroom looked like fron the 80's.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The batroom looked like fron the 80's...

value for money
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed was squeaky which made me awake.

Clean room Convenient for the University

Poor at best

Broken bed, staff didn't speak a word of english and the owner was extremely rude.

Very dirty hotel with highly unfriendly hosts. Never again.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Dirty room and incredibly dirty common shower Unfriendly host Poor breakfast Noisy rooms

Poor experience even for the price.

Staff didn't speak English. Very uncomfortable bedding materials. Bad smell in room. Poor selection and food items running out at breakfast.

Great room, clean & comfortable

Lovely big airy room and super sized shower, also great location for what we wanted. superb breakfast choices and great coffee.

Good location close to the station and to the Freie...

Good location close to the station and to the Freie Universitat.

Nice!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The staff didn’t speak English at all.

Breakfast was nice. Rooms were clean. It was a nice location!

OK

Stairs, not for person with legs problem

Very clean an quiet place

I loved the warm egg and fresh bread in the breakfast.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The bad is not facilitied well enough.

I loved the warm egg and fresh bread in the breakfast. So great!

Very rude receptionist

Very rude receptionist

The wifi was good.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The wifi was good. The room was nice, they are rebuilding the whole Hotel... I like the variety of food on Breakfast.

Minimalist, and internet problems, but still worth the low price

WLAN hat nicht funktioniert

Receptionist was quite unfriedly and was wearing a dressing...

Receptionist was quite unfriedly and was wearing a dressing gown at 3 pm.

No shampoo. Body wash WiFi not so good

The room was quite big and comfortable.
    • Family Room

Sometimes the wifi did not work, and no reception staff.

The room was quite big and comfortable. The breakfast was also ok. Good value for the money.

Decidedly average, but fine for a night

The beds were old and uncomfortable, the room, particularly the bathroom, smelled of cigarettes

Good location, close to US embassy

It was a comfortable stay overall
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff was not able to understand English at all.This was a little discomfort .

Rooms were comfortable ..Bathrooms were sharing ....

Satisfactory
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

In ability to communicate in English

Price

T
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Nothing. I don't have any how thats can be a hotel.the worst I have even experienced.

honestly nothing!!

Good breakfast service.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The reception treatment is far from good.

Good breakfast service.

Cheap and cheerful!

It is fairly basic.

Cheap accommodation.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Value for money, great location for U-Bahn

Old style but big and clean room with own bathroom. Very helpful owner.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Great hotel at Berlin

Wifi unstable for iPhones, bed too soft.

Large and beautiful room, close to subway and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

the atitude

breakfirst

• Reviewed: 23 May 2016

+ great breakfast

- private parking doesnt exist, but on the street park is free

+ great breakfast + next to S-bahn station (15 min ahead Zentrum) + clean and big room

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

The room was very clean and bright.

The room was very clean and bright. The decorations were beautiful so much so that at first we thought we got the wrong room for such a good value-for-money. The breakfast was delicious and healthy and the atmosphere in the hotel was so pleasant. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The hotel is 3 mins from the S1, so easy to travel around Berlin from there. We had a great time here and will definitely return for our next stay in Berlin.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2016

no blinds for the window, I didn't realize I no shower...

no blinds for the window, I didn't realize I no shower when booking, Internet is available but the Information about it is hardly locatable (when arriving late and nobody at the reception)

• Reviewed: 2 January 2016

Bigger size room, closer location and cheaper rates...

Old and broken furniture, shower handle, unavailable front desk staff, unfriendly breakfast service staff

Bigger size room, closer location and cheaper rates including breakfast

• Reviewed: 21 December 2015

The room was really big and comfortable.

The staff is pretty rude, the lady at the counter was really annoyed when I said that the bell was not ringing, but it was not my fault.

The room was really big and comfortable. The breakfast was also good.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2015

The price & the breackfast.

The common bathroom seemed to be have a nice shower cabin, but with improvised connections (all the pipes were visible, which gave it a shabby look). Also there was a dead cockroach near the toilet for the whole 3 day I was there.

The price & the breackfast. The room was clean, with basic amenities, correspondig with the low price. Nice selection for breackfast, even hot bread rolls.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

Breakfast in the rental price.

Long waits at the reception desk . The staff does not speak English. Everywhere, specially in the breakfast room could be more cleaner.

Breakfast in the rental price. Good location, close to city center, some good restaurants and market.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2015

Quite close to U-Bahn.

A bit far from city center (both from West and East Berlin). Breakfast could be better

Quite close to U-Bahn. Room was OK. I checked-in after midnight, though the lady at the reception was unhappy with that. Personnel speaks German, English and Russian.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2015

We had read a lot of bad reviews before our trip but were...

The bathrooms were a bit dingy, and two bathrooms per floor might be difficult to share at busy times. The staff were perfectly friendly and kind but communication was a bit tricky due to the language barrier (their main language seemed to be Russian and we only had English and extremely basic German).

We had read a lot of bad reviews before our trip but were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The entrance and stairwell had a 'Scooby Doo' mystery hotel feel (especially thanks to the Great Dane sculpture at the door) and the room was basic but clean and comfortable. Despite being a 20 minute train ride from the city centre (on Berlin's excellent public transport), the hotel is situated in a very pleasant area of Berlin - we even found incredible pizza at Marinella's only 3 minutes walking away.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2015

Very easy to find, close to the autobahn.

Could only stay for one night. No tea or coffee making facilities available.

Very easy to find, close to the autobahn. Parking outside hotel on a slip road. Regretfully we could only stay for one night. It is a lovely area on Berlin. Plenty restaurants nearby. Train into central Berlin just a short walk.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2016

The room

Alot if light through the window from outside

The room

• Reviewed: 23 February 2016

Nice design of the inside of the hotel

Poor breakfast, small bed in a single room. Also I am not sure if the room was cleaned during my stay.

Nice design of the inside of the hotel

• Reviewed: 22 February 2016

The staff does hardly (or not) speak English

The staff does hardly (or not) speak English

• Reviewed: 25 January 2016

Breakast, room was clean and spacious.

Wifi was horrible on 2rd floor, there is no elevator in hotel as well.

Breakast, room was clean and spacious.

There are also 31 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Pension Dahlem traveller photo gallery