Reviews of Centro Hotel Hamburg This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Kirchenallee 53, St. Georg, 20099 Hamburg, Germany

#294 of 323 hotels in Hamburg

6.2

4.8

5.9

For the price of 255 euro for 2 nights i expected a room bigger than 9 foot x 7 1/2 foot . cracked sink basin, hotel very dated. Didn't expect air con but a fan in the room would have been nice. pictures on the web show reasonable size rooms , just not the one we had, even the door had to open outwards as the bed wouldn't let it open inwards

Good buffet breakfast , very good at weekend smaller selection in the week

It's just weird that they don't use window screens in Europe since they don't use air conditioning either and there are mosquitoes. Some got in my room and it was a pain. Oh well.

This place is right across the street from the train station, so was very convenient for me. I just slept there one night before taking a train to the airport the following morning. There was some noise from the crowd at the train station, but it wasn't a problem. Lots of places to eat nearby, although they seem rather "touristy" to me. I would stay here again provided the price was right.

- Photos of room do not provide the original room interior; - As a bed was huge, it takes around all the room place; - Very noisy inside(!!!) and outside(!); - As we arrived stuff did not manage to give the keys as they became lost and it takes around all the day to get the extra-ones.

- Nice breakfast; - Good location for sightseeing/travelling (city centre and main train/bus station nearby); - Bed size.

Breakfast very nice, with many different choices. Kind staff. Small room, but if you stay few days it's all right. Perfect position close to main train Station.

My room was tiny & wasn’t expecting it to be so and the carpet around the walls was quite grubby, so could perhaps do with a carpet clean? You have to weave through restaurant diners to get to the front door, when the restaurant is open. Smokers right outside the front door.

The staff were really lovely, friendly, helpful and so professional. They let me leave my bags there while I ventured into Hamburg with a Hamburg Greeter & friends and also let me know my missing bag had arrived safely when I came to check in. It’s soooo central, close to the central rail station and easy walking around the many amazing food offers Hamburg has! It is great for anyone on a tight budget and ok with just literally having a room that has room only for a double bed. The bathroom was clean and well presented.

Limited space. Tiny shower cubicle. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Very basic bed with thin mattress. Curtains were 10" short with light streamimg in at 5am!

Great central location opposite the railway station with plenty of bus stops, Some good bars/restaurants along the road.

No air-conditioning....It was stinking hot and no way to cool down....It was noisy being right opposite train station with live/loud music and other entertainment. street was also very busy, but we should have expected this I guess.

Wow, easy to find, right opposite train station....staff were friendly on arrival and the breakfast was way above expectation (we thought only continential and we got that +++)

Badly designed room. Little floor space due to a massive bed 3metres by 2 metres. Less than 30 cm to the wall on either side of the bed. No apparent consideration for the comfort of guests. Information booklets in the room written in German - no info in English.

The central location - ideal for sightseeing.

The only thing I got a bit of problem is the fact that the hotel has 3 branches.. so I got to visit all of the 3 because I got to settled to my room. My suggestion is make sure that the guest understands them which hotel to go. My mistake was i didn’t ask which hotel he wants me to go. But at the end they were all good and helpful so it’s good..

The location of the hotel is really good it’s just in front of the Main Station. The staff are also helpful I didn’t stay much at the hotel because I have an event to strand but my over all stay is good convenient for leisure and business travelers like me.

I have never seen such a dirty room and hotel. There are small rooms that need repair for a long time. On the carpets is sand. Very dirty hotel.I do not advise anyone to live here. Very dirty.

Very good location Breakfast was included

The whole hotel stank! Bad smell everywhere. Hotel in need of serious refurbishment. Great location to railway station but in the local redlight district with hookers and drug dealers everywhere! Room small and dirty. Over priced!!

Standard double room was in 4 th floor, a size of 5 sq m... We are 2 tiny persons and felt there was no space. We had to undress one man at a time. I had to keep a cabin size siutcase in bathroom. The noise of outside Kitchen fan was annoying all night though we had a window shut. Can not recommend this type of room for 2 persons. It was very dusty in drawers under the bed and behind the pictures on the wall. The wardrobe pin for hanging jackets fell out, we had Heavy coats and it would not hold. No value for Money!

Hotel is just outside the railwaytation and a Central to most attractions. Good breakfast, Nice restaurant. Good wifi quality and a spacious bath. good beds.

Not much room around the beds A double bedsheet rather then two singles would of been better

Good value of money, location very close to station. We only paid around 60 Euro a night so for that fact it was good just for a base.

Average hotel, nothing exciting about this hotel. Hard bed, Mold bathroom, carpet dirty, linen however clean.

Position across from train station excellent, nothing else going for it.

I need hotel payment invoice, Due to early check out i did had it.

On top floor shower is always with very slow speed, need more heating in the top floor rooms.

Small room. No staff to check us in. No hot water. No curtains in the bathroom. Smelt funny. Carpet wasn't clean. Thin walls heard someone else having a wee!

Checking out & breakfast

The shower fitting was broken. We asked for a quiet room and ended up facing the noisy street! There was insufficient space to move around the bed. The map of the location of the hotel needs to specify: "directly opposite train station" - we had difficulty locating the hotel.

The bath was good. The breakfasts at the next door restaurant were good.

weak WiFi (sometimes does't work!) In Winter : I waited for hot water so long in the shower and the Heat it not enough !

fair price great location good breakfast near to transportation close to down town (city center) ita about 15 mints walking

It is very dated, not totally clean, some people may turn their noses up at the place.

The location was fantastic could not have been closer to everything.

The hotel is very easy to find from the train station, which is the easiest way from the airport. The room was small buy very comfortable and as it was snowing outside the hotel and room was very nicely heated. The staff are very friendly and will help you with most things. We arrived to early to check in so they looked after our bags and if the hotel isn't staffed they leave a note a reception and you go 2 doors down to the sister hotel and they will help you. The breakfast has a good selection for continental breakfast and the quality was very good. We cannot recommend this hotel enough and would stay here if we go back to Hamburg again.

The site could have given us the address for the public car park. Which was close but quite tucked away . The actual address would gave helped to locate it via satnav

It was so good for walking the city and for public transport

3rd floor elevator out of order and I suspect it has been for years. Very steep steps and dangerous when carrying trolly cases. Very small room but clean. Unable top plug in TV.

Buffet breakfast had a good selection.

The room was extremely small, the WC was rusty. We stayed just one night and wanted to rest a couple of hours before the checkout. The cleaning staff was already in a room near to us, so we put a “please not disturb”-sign on the door, allthough we were checking out in an hour (which the cleaning service is supposed to know). However, the guy still knocked at our door and shouted “cleaning service!”. We said “no, thank you”. In 15 minutes he was back and knocked loudly again. We said we don’t need it as we are checking out in an hour. The “not disturb” sign was also still there. The guy said “Sorry man” and went away. Another funny moment happened at the breakfast lounge. We were asked about ur room number, we showed the key and the manager said “This cannot be true, we don’t have such number”. We insisted that we obviously do habe this room number, so he had to ask kitchen staff and someone confirmed that it exists :)) Do I need to say that no apologies were said? In general: the room was ok for just one night to sllep over, but not for the price. For 20 euros more we could get a 4-star property. The elevator was also out of order. So for those who have troubles with high curly stairs, pick up some other property.

The breakfast was good, just a normal continental breakfast. The location is great, just in front of the railway station.

The lift was out of order. we had two cases each. our room was on the third floor. No one to help with our luggage...had to carry our cases up three flights of steep stairs. rooms are plain and bare and not very clean. Expected a little bit better for 89 Euros per room per night !!! put an official complaint in through the hotel reception. we have heard nothing !!

THE BED

You get what you pay for. Easy accomodation if you need a bed to sleep during a trip from a to B. Surprisingly good breakfast. Friendly staff. The bed was a nightmare, you need to change the madrass!!! Coolest Hamburger Kneipe with a Seebaer bartender just around the corner.

Staff - not there most of the time. Bedroom originally allocated grubby and too small. Second bedroom offered not cleaned. Bags left in full view with free access to anyone all day on day of departure.

Location near railway station

Lift. Not working

Room was Small but clean with white linen Lift was out of order and lots of stairs with luggage a huge disadvantage if you are on the 3rd floor Breakfast. Great

The reception was closed upon my arrival in the morning. There was a notice at the closed door but not in English. So have to seek help from the neighboring restaurant. I was referred to a hotel at the corner of the block where I was to leave my luggage and come back to Centro at 2pm. Finally got my room after 2pm. The receptionist told me breakfast is 6-10 in the morning. The next day I went to the restaurant for breakfast at 6 as I had an early train to catch but the restaurant was locked. I saw on the door saying breakfast is from 6.30 am to 10.30 am. How could the receptionist give wrong information? Anyway the breakfast was disappointing. Everything was cold, and so was the face of the restaurant operator. Another thing which bothered me was the restaurant beside, they had chairs and tables laid so close together in front of the hotel door. With big luggage I had to squeeze through the chairs where diners sat and they could not bother to give way when they saw me.

location is superb and convenient, just opposite the railway station.

Room was narrow so difficult to walk round bed.

The young man on reception was very helpful. Our cases were left behind at Dusseldorf airport. Hares loaned us a phone charger.

The room is too tight and small, there is no space to open your luggage. The hotel entry is too tight and through the restaurant. There is no slide in the entry stairs for the luggage. Noisy. The front desk is after 2 buildings.

The location is good.

The hotel check in shuts at 10pm and as our train was late we didn't arrive until nearly midnight. We had, more by luck than judgement, been directed to a nearby hotel where they manage the check ins for Centro after that time. The receptionist at the nearby hotel didn't know where Centro was as it was his first day at work. Not a good start. When we eventually located the hotel and got in, we found that the room was tiny. There wasn't even room to put our bags on the floor. The room was delapidated and grubby. The whole thing was an unpleasant experience.

The location, right next to the station. The breakfast was reasonable.

Room number 19 is a broom cupboard. It's more than a disgrace to sell this room to paying guests. I was absolutely horrified- and so was the receptionist. The room is 1.5 mts wide !!! And no more than 3 or less long.. in 70 years around the world in hotel rooms, NEVER have I paid for or seen such a space in a hotel. This should be reported to hotel association in Hamburg. I will do it myself. I was truly horrified with room 19 I will never return

Location from airport - near to all shops- transport- testaurants

For over 90E I would expect more, but it was for only one night, it was clean and I slept well so I cant really complaint. Didnt really like the breakfast coffee but the breakfast was very good.

The hotel is located just en-face to the Hauptbahnhof, which is very handy coming and going to the airport. But there is always a not so nice crowd around all train stations... Its a short walk to the main shopping area and to the Town House area. My room was not that small but it was very basic, the bathroom was tiny but clean, but I found a nail on the floor next to my bed :) It was clean, quiet (except for some door slamming in the morning) and the breakfast in the restaurant is enough good to keep you going until afternoon.

Television was not working throughout the 4 nights we stay though we informed upon checking in. No kettle nor hot water. During the Check in, staff did not tell us adequate information and no one to enquire at certain hours. Have to walk over to neighbouring hotel to ask. Have to leave bags along cooridor when the check in time is not yet available- not very safe as the bags are not visible when the staff sits in the counter.

Location is good. Bed is big and comfortable.

The room is very small. The gap between end of the the bed and the wall is less than 6 inch. It is very difficult to get out from the other side of the bed. No kettle for hot water.

The central train station is just a few minutes walk. The location is excellent. Breakfast is good.

Tiny room, narrow bed, shower fitting loose and did not spray overhead but to side.

Central location opposite Hauptbahnhof and to key Central City sites Operable windows

No parking Have to pay approx 10e in local car park

Basic room provided every thing for a quick stay Room fairly small but overall ok clean ect Requested twin rooms but none available When we got there

The double room was extremely small making every movement in it difficult. Only one bedside cabinet, no bedside lamps. The room overlooks a backyard with some noisy machinery operating 24h a day. The entrance is almost completely blocked by a crowded restaurant area. When we arrived, there was no receptionist on duty.

The good location - just next to the Central station in central Hamburg. For breakfast they offered a good variety of foods.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

No sound isolation and very small room (even difficult to move inside). Bathroom almost bigger than the room. Breakfast corner very simple for almost 300€ (2 nights).

Staff very friendly incl. room cleaning personnel.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Old room, curtains that do not block the light and a terrible bed. Not confortable at all.

Good location, wifi works well, nice breakfast, lift to the rooms.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

A thermostaticall controlled mixer tap in the shower. They will probably save money with such a thing, I used long time to find the right temperature, waist of water, hot and cold.

The location, got a key and keep it at all time, breakfast from 06,30 - 10,30 and again the location.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Overall this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, in terms of confort. The photos lead us to have a different perception of the hotel: all looks so clean, beautiful and spacious but, believe me, it is not. I already stayed in better 3 starts hotels cheaper than this one. I will list all the bad things I experienced: - The staff were not very friendly or engaged; - I have requested to change to another room because the first one was even worst that the one I end up with; - The entrance door almost touches the bed when opened. There are almost no space in the sides of the bed; - There were a lot of humidity in the room. My window was pouring water; - Besides being a double bed, there were two single blankets to each person, and not a large one for two; - There are no extra blankets in the closet. I felt cold in bed in the first night, and I had to request another pair of blankets to each person. There was simply a sheet between me and the mattress; - There were no extra pillows. Only one for each person. And they were the worst pillows I have ever slept on. Despite asking for extra pillows from day one, they never showed up in my room during my 4 day stay; - They advertise they have heating, but they simply have a lukewarm plate, which barely heats the room. And the heating of the bathroom was not even working. I actually felt cold in the room; - The floor was dirty and the furniture was dusty; - The room was nothing isolated. I could hear the people in the adjoining rooms and I could hear perfectly the huge noise the hallway door made when closing. The maids did not care if the person was resting or not. They just made a big noise early in the morning when they vacuumed;

There were only two things that I liked in this hotel: the breakfast and the location. The breakfast is varied and for all tastes to a normal diet. You just do not have any options for people with some dietary restrictions, such as lactose intolerance for example. The hotel is located right in front of the Central Station. We just catch the train in the airport and exit there. It was very pratical.

The wifi connection was very poor. The hotel should improve that!

The room (room no. 11) was bigger than expected. Very big bathroom. The breakfast was delicious. Kind staff.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

staff were very glum and unwelcoming. Room was way smaller than in the photos. Pretty much a room that only just fit a double bed and wardrobe. Not worth the money

Breakfast was ace

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

The second hand furniture, painting over patches of dirt. The bathroom was dirty and there was no space to get around the bed. Strange noises from the water pipes.

Free WiFi

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

I did not stay in the very small room, ,we wanted 2 beds,i asked 3 days before...... when we arrive the recepcionist said no rooms with 2 beds but then he found one and they charge me more 20 euros for a room with 2 beds, so the price/quality was not good. You can listen the people walking above you. hotel is old.

Location, in front of central train station, and 2 min from the bus station that you can buy a ticket for all major citys in Europe, Breakfast good , good restaurants near by. Budget hotel

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

It took 15 minutes for the hot water to warm up. Given it was -2 outside having the window open when I turned up late in the evening was not good and the window would not close. The room was freezing all night.

Close to train station and cheap.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

No change in breakfast menu

Great wifi Helpful staff One of the best coffee that I have ever had Just 100m from hauptbahnhof, so easy access to S,U and intercity trains

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

I don't mind small hotel rooms, but this one was just too small. From the foot of the bed to the wall, there is just 20 cm, so you had to turn sideays to walk by......

Good breakfast.....

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

No Issues.

Proximity to Hauptbahnhof. Bonus was the two excellent restaurants adjoining. Amazing value for money. Staff very helpful with information and luggage storage.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Not at all worth for money.Feel like I was staying in an old house.Not much comfortable. The images they have posted are not same as what I got.It was really disappointing.Even to get an iron box I have to inform them several time.

Staff was okay.Location is very near to centrel station and most of the restaurants and public within few minutes walking distance.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Dirty fling insect in the room. Too tight no room to open laggage. Smell bad. Every thing bad except location.

Only location in front of Hamburd Hbf. Thai it !

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

We have to waiting til 2.00 o clock to Check in 😞

Die location is perfect, and the price super 👍 We found really ideal place for short visit in Hamburg 😊

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Room very sparse- would a coat hook be too much to ask? And somewhere to sit? (Only a stool , or the low bed to use... I ended up sat on the floor a lot) bathroom was not too clean and looked unfinished. A tired, dreary little room all in all. Also- reception desk not always manned. WiFi code not provided in room. Hotel stank of old smoke. Security concerns - doors very flimsy, no deadlock. Room key could be used to open the hotel front door which presents a frightening possibility - are all the room keys the same? Didn't feel safe at all.

Great location across the road from Hamburg HBF. Functional room. Decent breakfast. Staff, when available, were lovely.

- The bed broke and I had to put the mattress on the floor not to fall down! - The reception was not occupied when I arrived, I had to go to a neighbour hotel to pick up the keys

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

The room was tiny, almost not possible to move inside.Bathroom needs renovation-taps and shower doors were old and ugly. Doesn't look like a 3-star hotel.

Very good location-just steps from the main station.A lot of restaurants around.Close to the shopping area.Breakfast was good.There is a lift in the hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Everything else. Small, dirty and noisy room, the fan from the restaurant next door sounding all night. Way too expensive for the hotrible standard you got.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Room much smaller than advertised and shown on the website; couldn't move around easily. Room also didn't have a safe, fridge, information leaflet/brochure and tea/coffee making facilities. In addition there was no international news or English speaking channel available on TV. I was surprised the hotel insisted taking payment on check in rather than on check out, something I never experienced elsewhere. This was perhaps done to preempt earlier departure out of dissatisfaction.

Hotel is located close to the train station and shopping centre.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

No Wi-Fi in the room. Only in the lobby and restaurant.

Had everything what we needed for our one night stay at a reasonable price comparing to other accomodations in the same area . Very close to central train station and to main commercial street. Although we arrived late, nearly midnight at the hotel, the guy at the restaurant was friendly and served us the food that we ordered, quite quickly. Also, at our request, they kept our luggages at the reception desk for five hours and gave us information about directions and transport in the city, very kindly.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

The room was awfully too small. The carpet was stingy and when someone would take a shower the water filled all the bathroom and half of the room floor. The breakfast was not satisfying. The bread was a couple of days old and there was no omelette.

The location was amazing. Having to travel from Berlin to Hamburg by bus, and having to use the U- and S- Bahn every day, the location was very convenient. Also, despite the fact that it is located in S. Georg (the dodgy area of Hamburg), the neighborhood was quite safe because it is on Kirchenhallee (a very main road of Hamburg). The staff was willing to help in any way possible. They were very helpful giving us advice about places to visit and nice tips for dining or drinking.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

Noise at night but that is what comes with choosing to stay centrally. I one night in particular wS interesting as Germany defeated Northern Ireland 1-0 so Hamburg people were in the streets cheering and honking car horns for hours. At least there was a reason

It was Crntral and we were travelling by train

Very outdated rooms.

Nice staff. Location - just across the street from main station. Breakfast was ok.

The double room was small,bathroom poor.

Helpful friendly staff and nice breakfast

There was a bad smell on the ground floor as you entered the lobby. Otherwise everything else was fine.

Grubby. Dated. Weak wifi.

It was a very tiny space

Location was excellent

Very very small rooms

Very near to train stations

Non existance of property reception hence I have to walk to a partner Hotel for any inquires

Location and cheap price with Breakfast

dirty carpet,old walls ,slow internet

indifferent room.

Service was absolutely great, but I would recommend to renovate this place soon. For german standards rooms are unacceptable.

Probably needs a little updating

Very clean and comfortable. Great breakfast and staff were friendly. Super location.

everything was fine.quiet room although was faceing the railway station

Excellent location, really comfortable bed, good wifi, helpful staff

elevator was not working