Reviews of Hotel Schaum This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Gustav-Pönsgen Str. 63, Friedrichstadt, 40215 Düsseldorf, Germany

#181 of 201 Holiday rentals in Düsseldorf

6.1

5.7

5.5

It’s a calm place and close to train station.

Climbing to its fourth floor through stairs is killing. It’s not a cleaned room and bed. There is place to hang your clothes. It’s totally waste of money.

It’s a calm place and close to train station.

Budget stay\ horror - not recomended

The room was awfull. I did not care it was old, but it was extremly used and could have been cleaner. The Windows could not be closed totaly. More of this, the night I slept in the room started to rain and the wind openned the windows at night...like in horror movies. The shower did not function properly: the hot water barely flowed and only in certain positions of the shower. And of course the bathroom was dirty and smelly (the smell is maybe not the hotel fault) Okay, i did not expect much, but Keep it basic and functional... The zone was odd, at best, a lot of pimps and hookers, damaged cars and odd looking immigrans. Well I don't recommend this hotel to lonely travelers, only to tough guys (as a girl I would be scared to death). Budget choice - but not worth it, pay 10 euro more and get decent clean room, or pay less an choose a decent hostel. Should not be listed on booking.

The proximity (relative) to the Main Train Station, that was the only advantage of the hotel.

Parking was easy in front of the hotel.

Not clean and new Looking. Noisy for sleeping next to railway. Staff did not speak good English or German

Parking was easy in front of the hotel. Not too far from the center.

Worst hotel I've stayed in Germany.

There were 2 dishwashing scrubs left in my room, one in the toilet and in the lavatory, I don't know what was that for? The bed sheets don't smell new. I told the reception to arrange me a taxi at 5:30AM but the taxi didn't show up so I have to find a solution to it on my own. And lastly, there's no elevator, so if your room will be on the 4th floor then you'll have to carry your 20kgs luggage by yourself.

Great location, just a few steps from the train station.

On the site hotel ask credit card and promise do not charge...

On the site hotel ask credit card and promise do not charge it, but in fact it was charged what makes lot inconveniences bcs I marked that will pay by cash. Also I made special request about 3 single beds but in fact it was 1 single and 1 double and I had to press stuff about what I asked. Room was dirty, no trash bin.

Nothing specific as such

Bathroom was too small. No floor mats provided in bathroom. Room heating was very mild even keeping after keeping the heater at max.

Nothing specific as such

good and clean room for this money, but its cheapness...

very noisy

good and clean room for this money, but its cheapness attracts young people. We did not sleep all night, as the young people climbed through the window to the fire escape and yelled.

Big headache

We booked 2 double room. They gave us 2 rooms terrible, heatings were not working, rooms were not comfortable, bathroom was too small to move and frequent electricity failure. Both rooms were on last (4th) floor and no elevator and no support by hotel to carry our heavy luggages to rooms. 1st day we had to stay in freezing rooms, after our complain they sad we do not have free rooms to change. They gave us finally 1 room for all, and they said they would charge back one room but they did not. They only charge back 400 euro back after long discussion. One room cost was 1145 Euro and they did not charge back 745 Euro. It was business travel and it affect us badly for our motivation. I never suggest anyone to stay in this hotel(!).

NOT RECOMMENDED

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed. The room was so smelly that in the morning we had pain in our throat and taste/smell that we smoked full package of cigarette The stuff was trying to be helpful, when we complain about the room they showed us other rooms, and actually we saw 4 rooms, they all had the terrible smell and all of them had another problem, either the heater did not work or the electrcity etc. It was very cold in the room as well. Beds were very small not not comfortable

overall was not good stay....

room was not comfortable, lot of disturbance by other room local people were making lot of drama in other room which disturb our peace of mind.

nothing to like much there

bad bad very bad

The Room was very noisy due to trains and the staff was very discourteous only caring about their money. no lift tothe room and very narrow stairs. Rooms very small and bathroom even smaller with no facility. Kitchenette was not usable. Breakfast was with no options so we chose to eat outside. during checkout in the morning we shouted for half an hour when a girl came out with sleepy mood and ask to drop the keys and go out.

nothing to be liked

Cheap, but not particularly cheerful.

There was quite a lot we didn't like. The major problem was our room being on the fourth floor and there was no lift. No help was offered and the journey, with heavy cases, up eight flights of stairs was arduous. There was only one coat-hanger. The room smelt a little when we entered and so we left the windows open and bathroom fan on extraction while we went out for dinner. The toilet pan could've done with a scrub too. This hotel is a little run-down.

The hotel was relatively cheap and the morning desk staff was quick and efficient in getting us a taxi to the railway station. He even helped my wife carry her case down the steps at the front of the hotel.

very nice!!

the Hotel was very clean and comfortable the staff was very friendly and helpful, I will defenitley stay there again , I am already planning my next stay! thank you ..Alison Agangi

Charged for there mistake
    • Quadruple Room

The window broke because it was not open and they tried to take 300€ saying it hit cars after agreeing the. It's before that it was no problem agreeing it was a fault

Clean

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Don't ever try! Noisy, dirty, no service at all! It should be rated -1!

It's not a hotel, it's just a hole. And it's next to railway, you won't be able to sleep because of the noise, unless you drink up a whole bottle of vodka.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Good value for money. Free reliable wifi

They look to be modernising the hotel so some carpets were missing on some floors as I climbed the stairs

I was pleasantly surprised by this place. It was an easy 10 minutes walk from the train station. The room and en-suite bathroom were clean. There was even a fridge in the room. WiFi was free and reliable. Lovely new marble stairs. I would stay here again

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Average

Our room was on 4th floor. We cannot connect wi-fi from our room. Cleanless of the room was on average.

Location is good and bed is comfortable enough.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

If all else fails, this place ain't too bad

Breakfast not good Room was old and bed worn

Price was ok for during trade fair (cheapest in dusseldorf that night) Location was ok, 15 minute walk to main station or Sbahn direct next to it Room was big and pretty clean Friendly reception

Price-quality.

Bad WIFI connection, not only on the 4th floor, where our room was, but also in the entrance. Some hairs on the mattress and rubish in the bin. Works on the staircase.

Price-quality. Two individual beds and not a double bed. Private bathroom inside the room. We could leave the luggage in the reception after the check out.

Would have been much better if the Wi-fi worked.

The Wifi was not working. Initially I thought it could be due to the room, so I requested for the change of room, which the staff was willing to accomodate. However, in the second room, the wifi was not working either. The wifi worked on the ground floor, but even then, I was not able to use it to get information off the internet.

The close location of the hotel to the central train station (Hauptbahnhof). It made it really convenient to get around. The staff was helpful and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

you get what you pay for, perfect for a weekend away with a group of friends
    • Quadruple Room

nothing really, for the price you can't get any better.

it was clean and cheap. the reception arranged a cab for us and was friendly. perfect for a weekend out with friends. i would go here again

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Excellent price-to-value ratio

The first day we didn't get our breakfast. If there were more furniture (a few cupboard, a table with some chairs), and more kitchenware, the apartment would be more comfortable. There were no elevator.

It is a quiet place, the main station is only a 10 minutes walk.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Dirty, disgusting and expensive hotel!!! Should be closed by the german authorities!!!!

It was a real nightmare!!!

The hotel was dirty, it should be closed for works and some renovations. It was too expensive! Please don't go to this hotel!!! ever

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

I was not informed that this is smoking room and smell would...

I was not informed that this is smoking room and smell would stay, it was unpleasant surprise. And on one floor there was renovation during my stay, so it was dirty on stairs. But as for price/place it is OK, 20 min walk and you're in center.

Good location, surprisingly big room.

The room was stinky: looks like someone was smoking there for a long time despite of the "no smoking" sign. Not really clean. The balcony looked like it's about to collapse soon.

Good location, surprisingly big room. No annoying service from the staff: you just pay and stay. No need to feel any forms. Small kitchen with a fridge and a stove in the room.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Stay away disgusting!!!!!

The disgusting dirty carpets in the foyer, steps and the cracked tiles in the room, we bought a newspaper and walked on that, the bathroom are so dirty the windows in the entrance to our room were so cracked and dirty, the breakfast were so awful, the worst hotel we've ever stayed in

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Better than expected
    • Quadruple Room

Wifi is not working properly, walls are a little thin.

They have renovated the hotel, I was expecting an old hotel with basic stuff but I was surprised so they are studios now and everything is new and in good condition.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Great Locations, Super fast Wifi, Value for money.

No heating was turned on and my room was on the 4th floor without a lift. Also I came back to the hotel at 12am on a Saturday night and the main door was locked ? I didn't have a local number as well to call them. A couple who were stuck with me in the cold outside were very helpful and called the owner who didn't bother to help but a guest who was staying on the 1st floor heard us talk and ended up opening the door. Something should be done about this. Otherwise everything was fine.

Location, very close to Friedrichstraße station. One stop from central station. Awesome Wifi. My room also had a gas to cook food, it was a mini studio though I didnt use any of it coz i was staying there for a night only.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Good location friendly people.

It does not look fancy at all. The stairs look too old, the room is clean. As you put your head down to sleep it's ok. It was expensive for what was given.

Welcoming and the friendly people at the reception to help for the luggages upstairs- Transportation.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

The best for this hotel is location.

Hotel rate is not worth with room and food provided. I am understand that there would be surcharge and room rate increased during the fair , but triple charge from normal rate is a bit crazy.

The best for this hotel is location. It is very easy to reach the train status and 10 minutes walk to Dusseldorf main station.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Basic hotel, don't expect anything fancy. We enjoyed our budget stay.

First impression..

Worth the money you spend. Which isn't much, so don't expect much. It's a basic hotel with basic facilities. Want budget (read: budget budget)? This will do. Kind staff. Toilet and shower were clean. Beds were cleaned nicely. We were too late for breakfast, so can't tell you much about that :))

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Do not stay here
    • Quadruple Room

This place is not a hotel it's more of a shelter. Everything about the place was disgusting but thankful we had clean sheets. Tiles ripped off the walls pipes showing smashed windows and as for the breakfast it was a total waste of 30 euros for a bread roll and a cup of tea. Please please do not stay at this (hotel)

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

The place is supposed to be open 24h and I got there at 11pm...

The place is supposed to be open 24h and I got there at 11pm right when the people were closing the place,they told me the next person will come in 2h if any questions,so if I would have been there late 5 min,would wait in cold outside until the next person would have come.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Close to the train station, good connection to the airport...

Quite far from the city centre - about 25 mins on foot

Close to the train station, good connection to the airport and the peculiar Red-Light “District”

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

OK if the whole day you're outside

Room very small, rather far from the city centre - about 25 mins on foot

Close to the train station (so also good connection to the airport) and the Red-Light “District”

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

You get what you pay for. I'll pay more next time!

It's a bit grotty, really needs updating! I imagine prison beds are comfier, so resorted to sleeping on the sofa instead. Shower stinks of cigarettes. Cleanliness is questionable. The street doesn't look the most welcoming

It's cheap. You essentially get what you pay for. It has a bed and a shower so it's ok for a group of friends. You'd probably want a bit more if you were taking your other half or your family! Walkable distance to HBH

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

it could be fine for a very short period.

The staff is not so friendly, the stucture of the hotel is old, not clean (stairs, doors, pavements dirty band Dusty.

The room was big enough, not noisy, bathroom ckean and bed was confortable. Close to the train station, notte so far from interesting places by walking.

Cheap is Cheap

Heavy noise coming from train tracks that are just outside the window . Smoking is not regulated so all building is filled with cigarette smoke. Electricity breakers are tripping very often.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Very basic , you pay for what you get

1 coat hanger in the wardrobe for a 3 night stay .

Location and staff were good .

spacious, good value for money, location

spacious, good value for money, location

Lads holiday
    • Quadruple Room

Great value for money. Very basic. Good option for a lads holiday

Excellent stay

The rooms where very clean

the stuffs very friendly and helpful

the stuffs very friendly and helpful

Meh

Having to explain several times that the booking was paid upfront and them insisting I pay again.

The Hotel costs its money.

There's no lift.

Check-in is very fast.

Very very close to the train station

Very very close to the train station

good

cleanliness and there is not any elevator available.

location and staff

Great weekend
    • Quadruple Room

The stairs in the room where very vertical

Location and price and relaxed atmosphere

cleanliness

Used hotel for Xmas markets

Noisy neighbors in other room.not the hotels fault

Great value for money.excellent breakfast.very friendly staff.

Convenient stop over location

the room had been smoked in, unpleasant smell

very affordable and very basic hotel, for a stop over more than adequate

Not good property... No basic utensils provided in the apartment/property.
    • Quadruple Room

Not good property...There was only two plates and dishes provided. There were no basic utensils provided in the apartment.

Super good

The bed extra comfy. The cleanliness was super!. And the lighting on the room was perfect. They were kind

Basic overnight for central Dusseldorf

Car parking a challenge. Needs a bit of renovation / upgrading

Well located for train, tram & underground yet the room was quiet.

it was a convenient, comfortable and the owners were friendly
    • Quadruple Room

the rooms need to be more clean.

Staff were extremely helpful and very friendly.
    • Quadruple Room

Staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. Any issues and they would have them resolved.

Dirty,not recommeded for friends.
    • Quadruple Room

Dirty,not recommeded for friends.

no noise isolation of the rooms.

no noise isolation of the rooms. the property is bad for sleeping.

Good stay for a few nights

If check in at night, staff doesn't speak English. Sometimes wifi doesn't work

Pretty good room, good location (two subway stations)

Close to everything!

The cleaniness The smell of the room

The position Friendly staff

The FlyBe of hotels! No frills but okay value

Holes in walls and doors

Price

A very nice hotel

Everything was fine

Excellent hotel. The staff is polite and friendly, the room and bathroom are clean.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

4.5
    Near

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

It's good place for such price

It was not so clean :(

Our beds were comfortable, a bathroom good.

Totaly Amazing.for all am I RISH /Brish resident in N.Ireland

Noting one can think off

They got it all,friendly,Trees Trains.plus location.Totaly amazing.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Pretty decent stay...no concerns

Maintenance of the room

Spacious apartment!

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

WiFi mostly doesnt work on the last floor.

WiFi mostly doesnt work on the last floor.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Position

Position is ok

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Only choice, otherwise no way
    • Quadruple Room

Mould smells, cold and dirty room in January

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Everything.

Everything. I am just surprised we paid Euro 200 per night for a room in 2 start hotel

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Not too good.

No toilet roll. Dodgy area. Lights hanging through ceiling.

Early check in

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

The bad hotel that i've ever seen

Everything.

There are also 50 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Schaum traveller photo gallery