Reviews of Schwarzes Lamm This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Detwang 21, 91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Good traditional hotel

A traditional hotel offering good basic facilities. Good restaurant serving traditional food. Nice country location 2km from Rothenburg. Although busy the hotel gives a relief away from the tourisdts in Rothenburg.

A great location, good food and value for money.

Nothing really.

All good , staff were communative, facilities were very good, room was vast, food was great. An equivalent hotel in the United Kingdom in this setting would cost at least double.

Good location for Rothenberg.
    • Comfort Double Room

There was nothing we didn't like.

Good location for Rothenberg. Nice walk...although up hill.........downhill on the way back however Rothenberg is a stunning place.

Nice room, wonderful location, great service.
    • Quadruple Room

The only disappointment was that the room had no tea/coffee making facilities. After a long day driving, we were desperate for a hot drink upon arrival... and the restaurant was closed too (Monday evening).

Acceptable room and beautiful location, both in the vicinity and in nearby Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber, which was very nearby. Breakfast and service was great!

I liked the hotel location as it was quiet and away from the...
    • Comfort Double Room

I liked the hotel location as it was quiet and away from the city center (note, it is a 15 minute walk up hill to Rothenburg).The accommodations were clean and traditional to the location. The staff were super friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good. We will stay here upon a return visit.

We drove out of our way to this hotel because we’d stayed there a few years ago, and it was excellent. This time however, was a very disappointing experience. We had a good welcome from a male member of staff, then went to our room which was dark, dingy and stuffy. Temperatures were in the mid 30s, there was no air conditioning, no fan, and we couldn’t even leave windows open due to the number of flies and wasps finding their way in. We went down for a drink, then asked the waitress if she would kindly ring us a taxi to take us into Rothenburg. She made no comment, and the first we knew of whether or not the taxi had been arranged, was when it turned up for us. We have never liked eating outdoors, so when we went down for our evening meal, we sat in the restaurant, which was empty. She flew at us, saying that we had to sit outside, but I told her we wanted to stay inside. She looked really annoyed, and obviously told one of the waiters, who also tried to get us outside. Again I said we do not want to eat outside-because of all the flowers and other shrubs in the garden, the place was inundated with flies and wasps. The meal was really good, I must say. But when I asked her for the bill, again she said nothing, but was using the till. I assumed she was preparing a bill for someone else. I was just about to tell her how good the food was when she slammed down a receipt on the table, I said,”is that for me?” because I couldn’t believe her behaviour, she said yes, so we paid and walked to another guesthouse to have a few drinks where we had a wonderful welcome. In the morning, the owner asked if we’d enjoyed our stay, we said no, and told him about her rudeness and behaviour to which his reply was,”it’s difficult to get waitresses “

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Highly recommended!
    • Quadruple Room

Highly recommended! You can feel that the family running this place has the heart for making your stay a good experience. Very nice staff. Excellent breakfast, e.g. home baked cake. Instead of staying inside Rothenburg ob der Tauber then consider choosing this place, just a short walk away from the old town in R.o.d.T. Absolute svalue for money.

Recommendable for visits to Rothenburg and surrounding areas.

No elevator to get to 2nd floor. No fridge in room.

Lovely, well kept hotel. Restaurant - food and service therein excellent. Great location, just a short drive to old city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Nice location, short drive to the Rothenburg o/d Tauber...

Nice location, short drive to the Rothenburg o/d Tauber (we were to lazy to walk). Private parking. Comfortable and spacious room. Rich breakfast. Kind staff.

It was very enjoyable.
    • Comfort Double Room

There was a Church nearby that rang bells on the quarter hour 24 hours a day. Took a little getting used to.

The property was located out of the city but in a lovely little village. The food was good the staff very friendly and there was free parking.

Charming hotel close to Rothenburg
    • Quadruple Room

Bed mattress was too soft. Think was too old. Not comfortable Bus groups also patron here and were rude and pushy. Detracts from our overall stay

Big room, close to Rothenburg

Okay place to stay
    • Quadruple Room

Beautiful location. Rooms are quite dated. The waiter at night was a bit rude and avoided us when we tried ordering or paying. The lady at breakfast was super friendly. Breakfast was a very nice German breakfast bar. Stay would have been better if the waiter at night wouldn't have been so rude. The dated room probably wouldn't have mattered to us then.

Excellent stay just 2 min. drive from P5 parking
    • Quadruple Room

Fantastic stay just 2 mins drive from P5 parking, Rothenburg. Quiet. Clean. Comfortable. Sinks are outside of the bathroom. The bathroom had a shower, tub & toilet with a door. Lighting for the mirrors weren't the best but doable for a high-maintenance gal. Excellent German restaurant and nice outdoor seating. Fantastic breakfast, included with our stay. Good coffee. Friendly staff. No problem with English. Good rates for Rothenburg.

A wonderful family run in.

Outside restaurant staff were not the friendliest. We had our two dogs with us and they did not offer them water once when we ate outside. They almost seemed bothered we were there.

The shower was amazing! After living with small European shores, having a huge walk in shower with a rain shower head was wonderful! Made the entrance a little slippery though. Front desk staff very friendly. A nice walk/hike to town (worked off what we ate). Bed was very comfortable and the room was mostly soundproof. Breakfast was basic but filling.

Peace and quiet in beautiful surrounds!
    • Quadruple Room

Location and facilities to the rest of the city is really good, besides the small town where the hotel is located is beatiful, that small church behind is beyond words!

Very good, clean accommodation, good selectiin at breakfast

Cannot fault the hotel, it is a 15-20 minute walk in to Rothenburg odT uphill so would not suit people with mobility problems

Very good, clean accommodation, good selectiin at breakfast

It was overall a good stay

The breakfast was not that great. The room was not having an electric kettle with some tea coffee arrangement. But the staff was very good and friendly. They made omelette for us on request. The vegetarians with us had a tough time. Some more cakes and grilled veggies would be great.

*****

I didn’t like that my trip was so short, I was only able to stay one night. Will recommend!!

My puppy and I slept comfortably in your cloud like bed and got to fall asleep with a lovely meal catered to my vegan diet and woke up and enjoyed a fabulous, big breakfast! You all were very accommodating for creating a vegan dish for me, thank you again.

The hotel is a very cosy, comfortable and romantic place with lovely hearty German food.

We had a wonderful stay. The room was very comfortable and big, especially the shower was awesome. The staff were very friendly and the food was heavenly. Will definitely come back here!

Overall worth it

Pillows and bed.

The staff was very friendly, and accommodating. The room was cozy the pillows where way too soft and thin but the view was absolutely amazing very short walk to the market. Overall I would recommend

Christmas Markets in Rothenburg

Loved the property. We had a great stay. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean, beds comfortable, breakfast was great, location was good. Loved Rothenburg and if I ever return I would stay here again.

Comfortable, great value, but a pest issue
    • Quadruple Room

We saw a mousetrap in the room and, sure enough, were awakened at 2 am by the sound of something in the garbage. We watched a little mouse scrounging our garbage, and dart back and forth between the garbage and its hole in the wall. It made it very difficult to sleep after this, as we weren't sure if the mouse would choose to explore our belongings or beds. Mice may be difficult to keep out of these old buildings, but it still turned us off.

The room was comfortable and very spacious, particularly for European standards. It fit our family of 5 quite well. Location wasn't as close to Rothenburg as I would have liked (15-20 min walk), but the cost of the room reflected this. The breakfast was fabulous and the staff was very nice. I felt this hotel was a great value.

Simple and Incredible

I can’t think of one problem I had. Staff was great about accommodating my family in every way.

Room was good sized and very clean. The restaurant downstairs was fantastic, amazing lamb! The breakfast was included and far exceeded my expectations! This stay was exactly what a foreigner would expect a Stay in Germany would be like. I couldn’t ask for a better night stay and an amazing hotel!

Great place for a Christmas stay and amazing price for value!
    • Quadruple Room

Great place for a Christmas stay and amazing price for value! Nice rooms, great breakfast, and super-friendly staff. The hotel is walking distance to Rothernburg odt (1.2 miles - ish). We will most definitely stay at this hotel again.

I was very impressed on how inviting the place and the staff we're, will definitely return!
    • Comfort Double Room

The room size was great and the bed size great but a little to firm for me.

The location may have been a bit far from weinachtsmarkt, but the staff were very helpful and taxi inexpensive and easily accessible. So location better than expected since out of the chaos.

Great breakfast and location in historic, quaint village

quite a dark room but all OK generally

Great to have a lovely breakfast included and friendly staff on check in. Restaurant downstairs was good and convenient. Loved the history of the building and location in a beautiful little village of Detwang

Staff friendly and helpful.

Staff friendly and helpful. Was difficult for me to carry my suitcase upstairs. Staff did not hesitate to offer and take suitcase upstairs for me. Very clean room. Quiet. Right next to delicious restaurant with very reasonable prices. Their breakfast buffet was excellent. Highly recommend.

Good choice to stay away from walled city though not too far.
    • Comfort Double Room

Staff seemed always too busy to dedicate time for our questions, a woman was too insensible to our request for changes when paying for the staying.

Hotel is located on a very quiet neighborhood not far from the walled city. Room was excellent, good size, wonderful view, very comfortable bed.

it is great & quiet place for living

inside room there's fly, wandering around me from time to time. feels un-comfortable. Other than this, all is perfect

the room i stay is quite big with 2 large individual sofa, and the hall outside room is very special with local decoration, feels warm.

Beautiful place, attentive staff.

I loved the place.

First of all, as you can expect of Germany, the property is very quaint and well maintained, very in line with what I expected to see in the vicinity of Rothenburg. Second, the staff was not only very attentive and polite, they also proactively tried to help me with my small child's needs. The room I stayed was a bit on the small side, especially with the baby bed, but it's probably because I deliberately chose a cheaper room, so if you are coming with children, choose a larger room. The vicinity of the hotel also looked very nice with lots of trails and woodland to visit, which I, unfortunately did not see, so I will probably be returning there.

Staff was really kind and helped us a lot.

The wall of room is slightly thin.

Staff was really kind and helped us a lot. There is a historical restaurant inside the hotel, we enjoyed a lot its atmosphere and delicious meal and beers.

Fantastic!

That time didn't allow for a longer stay

Our room was perfect. Your hospitality was warm n personable n the breakfast was beyond superb. My husband, son and I had a wonderful stay. Thank you

Nice hotel, comfortable room.
    • Comfort Double Room

Our windows looked at the beautiful old church,and the bells rang every 15 minutes rather laudly. Ask for the room looking at the other side or take earplugs!!!

Nice hotel, comfortable room.

Great location for the Romantischstrassa
    • Comfort Double Room

Great location for a visit to Rothenberg, just a short walk, mostly uphill. One huge benefit is that the gastehaus has ample parking to the rear, which is hard to find in the main town. Also has the option for secure parking for motorbikes in large garage Ice cold beers and soft drinks which were good value for money. Our room had a small enclosed balcony with seating, which was a great feature. Breakfast buffet good selection of hot and cold options Staff were extremely helpful.

Romantic & Historic.

Wonderfull place to stay. Just a 20 min walk from the Historic town of Rothenburg O.D.T. A Lovely old building. Very well renovaited. Good value for Money. Nice Food & good breakfast.

1 night stopover

No kettle in the room / no iron available / no fan available

Conveniently located for a walk into Rothenburg- all uphill and need a reasonable level of fitness, after sitting in the car all day it was good to stretch the legs properly. Didn't eat in the restaurant but food looked and smelt very good - really good breakfast. Staff helpful with any requests. Room a good size with a small seating area also.

Location is bad.

The location was totally bad. It's not in Rothenburg ob der Tauber as it seemed when I booked. So we had to take the car to drive to the city and with a 1 year old it's a real hassle. I wouldn't recommend the hotel just because of the location. The lady at the check in was not friendly, she didn't mention anything about extras- about internet or parking, which hotel actually has at the back but we parked in the street. The check out lady was much friendlier and the breakfast was good.

Medium to low quality apartment.
    • Quadruple Room

The room was poor. I visited the place when the external temperature was high and the room was very warm and there was no air conditioning.

The breakfast was good.

Lovely place!
    • Quadruple Room

As guest we would have liked to sit outside for dinner, but we weren't told that we should make reservations. But the seating inside was lovely as well!

Such a welcoming atmosphere, beautiful building, nice little town.

Good place to visit Rothenburg and also to stay for w while to take a rest.

This is a very nice place. Good localization, even better than in town, friendly and professional staff. Our room in the attic was spacefull and comfortable with very comfortable bed. Reach breakfast and parking included in price (very rarely happens now).

Charming German hotel near walled city

Walk up to the castle on the walking path was significantly up hill but well worth the hike.

Adorable and spacious room. It was a warm day but with the many windows in the room it was well ventilated.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Just a skip away from downtown!

No complaints :)

Great location, friendly staff, great food, lovely rooms! Parking was easy, the neighborhood was quiet and beautiful. We had a wonderful time!

Short stay

No a/c so the room was very warm. Pillows were very very flat not comfy

It was I detwang which is a quiet little area but.very close to old town of rothenburg. There were marked paths which were lit at night. Not sure if local buses take you to the town. Food great. Staff lovely. Area nice and quiet :)

Great hotel with long history

nice breakfast. Also have a dinner in this hotel.It has long history about 400years ago. My room has a fancy balcony. There is a walk path to Rottenburg old city about 20mins.

quite & clean and close to the city center.

early check-out was at 10 am, while it should be 2 pm and allowing late check-out 3-4 pm.

room facilities, e,g., tea pot, tissue, easy shoe ... need to be improved.

Not as advertised!!

The property was not within walking distance of Rothenberg inside the walls. The bed was extremely hard. The towels threadbare, the room dingy.

This was our second visit to the Schwarzes Lamm - previously...

There is absolutely nothing to complain about - a perfect hotel for a pleasant stay

This was our second visit to the Schwarzes Lamm - previously (4 years ago) we gave it a rating of 10 and we see no reason to alter our earlier view. This hotel embodies the best features of an excellent provincial Bavarian hotel. We were a party of four and both our rooms had a sun-lit sitting area off the bedroom, which was a real bonus during our stay. We used the hotel restaurant on both nights of our stay and ate two excellent evening meals in comfort with good service. When visiting the area, the Schwarzes Lamm is our preferred choice of hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Wonderful Visit

There was nothing I can think of I didn't like

We had a wonderful visit! The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and professional. Our room was accommodating and the beds were very comfortable. Our breakfast was delicious and made us feel as though we were "home." Thank you for adding a delightful experience while we traveled and visited your beautiful city.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Staff very friendly

I was expecting a better breakfast after all the reviews that I read. Breakfast is not very good, has only a few choices of food and drinks. It ends very early, I got there at 09h30min in the morning and almost all the food was gone, they brought me a small plate of scrambled eggs. The room has one of the worst showers that I have ever seen (think it was broken). Far from the city, you must have a car if you stay at this place.

Staff very friendly

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Family Friendly
    • Quadruple Room

Only thing this hotel lacked was an elevator but we knew this before booking. Not a deal breaker and we will be coming back this summer.

Friendly staff, large room was perfect for 4 kids under 8 and 2 adults, good breakfast and close to the Christmas Market.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Breakfast is good.

When we checked in, the staff could not speak English,we were group of 8 persons we book 2 quad room (for 3 person in each room), 1 triple room (for 2 persons).She gave us 3 triple rooms (one double bed+single bed), we tried to explain to her, but she could not understand.We have to called booking.com office in London for help. The room that she gave was small with funny shape, there are big pillar in the room with big supporting on the ceiling,made such uncomfortable when you walk in, not only thinking about sleepping for a night, no place for luggage.Our rooms were on the 3rd floor, the stair case is very high and not suitable for elderly guest.We are over 65, can you imagine how hard would be for us.

Breakfast is good.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Beautiful old building with unique old furnishings.

Nothing -all good.

Beautiful old building with unique old furnishings. Very comfortable and spacious room. Delightful!

Location and traditional design of hotel

There was no refrigerator in the hotel

Location and traditional design of hotel Location was excellent

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Great breakfast buffet

Great breakfast buffet

Good stay for on our trip from NL to Austria

Room a little dark

Easy Parking Nice environment: view to river an tracks to the very pretty town Pretty good breakfast

Location, size of room, nice staff

The bed was uncomfortable. It was hard and lumpy.

Location, size of room, nice staff

Couple from South Africa

Uphill walk to old city

Nice place with a bit of history. Well maintained and a good place to stay.

Staff was very friendly

Staff was very friendly

Good food with good service

Good food with good service

Quiet, friendly, and very restful.

Bed was too firm.

Rural Setting. Very quiet and peaceful!

Great location, lovely walk along the river into Rothenberg.

Great location, lovely walk along the river into Rothenberg. Good breakfast. We had a fantastic meal at the resturant one evening.

The acomodation is very nice
    • Quadruple Room

Not possibility to latte checkout (1hr)

The acomodation is very nice

Lovely and relaxing.

Nice peaceful location. Great breakfast.

Driving around Bavaria

Very pleasant with a great breakfast (only place in 5 hotels across Germany to have sausages for breakfast)

Our stay was so much fun. We were welcomed and made to feel at home

Not having washcloths

Ambiance was delightful. Breakfast was very good.

Cute hotel. My kids had a blast here. A short drive from the city (maybe 4 minutes?)

Lots of space for our family of 6. It was like two rooms joined by a hallway and was plenty big!

Super friendly staff, great breakfast, the restaurant offers the dinner also-was excellent!
    • Comfort Double Room

There is no fridge in the room, but its not a big deal:)

The room was quite good!

Comfortable, quiet.

The decor is a little dated

The breakfast was included in the rate and it was delicious.

Breakfast was excellent.
    • Comfort Double Room

Breakfast was excellent. Nice view from our room #29.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Rooms are new and nice

Rooms are new and nice

Old but clean rooms, fantastic breakfast.

Old but clean rooms, fantastic breakfast. Nice cosy atmosphere.

Heating system

Heating system

Everything.

Everything. The restaurant was very delicious.

Nice and clean apartment, hall of building had a urine smell.

See above

Nice and clean apartment, hall of building had a urine smell.

Lovely place with friendly atmosphere!

Very friendly helpfull staff!