Reviews of Hotel Schwarzwälder Hof This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Herrenstr. 43, 79098 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany

#15 of 50 hotels in Freiburg im Breisgau

• Large Deluxe Double Room

The lack of Tea making facilities in the room - we are English!

Loved the location, & friendliness of the staff. Also quirky chest of drawers in the entrance hall.

• Large Deluxe Double Room

Difficult to find even with gps by automobile.

Great breakfast spread in a lovely dining room. Family hands on management was especially appreciated. Large comfortable room with great views and very modern bathroom. Great location...close to everything.

• Business Single Room

My room was a little spartan, and really needed a fan to help with the heat.

The location and breakfast were excellent. Freiburg is a lovely city, and the location of the hotel in the old city (but with available parking) is fantastic.

• Small Deluxe Double Room

The lift didn't take us up to our room level, had to go up some winding steps. Nonetheless, would surely recommend and stay in this hotel next time round.

Location good, shopping malls nearby and very clean. Staff at reception very helpful. We were given a card to use local transport for free though we never used it as hotel not far from main train station.

• Classic Double Room

The breakfast was really early in the morning and I never got to try it out.

The room was very clean, the view was pretty and the bathroom was very chic!

• Small Deluxe Double Room

This is a superb hotel. Everything perfect for a very relaxed and comfortable stay. Brilliant location in the old centre of Freiburg. Will definitely return here!

• Business Single Room

I asked one of the staff members questions on two separate occasions and he was not very helpful in either instance. Also, my room was quite small given the price paid.

The location was excellent, most of the staff was very friendly, and the bed was very comfortable.

• Classic Double Room

This was a great hotel! I was right in the middle of the old town - and everything is accessible by tram - which is the hotel gives you FREE use during your stay. The staff always answered my questions and helped me when I needed directions. The room was super comfortable and clean.

• Business Single Room

At the beginning it is a bit difficult to locate the hotel and even though I called from the phone number they gave, they never opened the phone! Secondly, they gave me a room in another building with no reception. There was not anything explanatory (the receptions number etc - 0 and 9 did not work) in English in the room so if you want to call reception (because it is in another building) you never could have reached them! There was only one pillow which was very thin so I couldn't sleep! The room was very cold. There were not shampoo or body wash in the bathroom (only soap). I really do not recommend the hotel. It is very expensive when you think all of this!

The location was perfect and I love the breakfast. Also they gave my room earlier than check in time.

• Business Single Room

Should have been extra duvet or blanket available as the one on bed not really warm enough for winter

Loved the breakfast room as rare old style... good breakfast as well. Loved location in old town and feel of hotel and even though in annex it still had some character

• Classic Double Room

Double bed was (typically mind) two singles pushed together. (Subsequently) there were two bed covers...

Room was well designed and the location is unbeatable, especially when traveling by car. The restaurant used to be good - we didn't eat there this time but assume it's remained a nice place to eat.

Parkeing: we weren't informed beforehand where we could get a discount on parking.

Hotel was friendly, warm, comfortable and right in the centre. Breakfast was excellent.

• Small Deluxe Double Room

That parking is in a parking garage, and that isn't shared during any of the booking or communications with the staff. The extra small pillow that was left for my head; others were too high to reach without climbing;

The closeness to the center of the city; the fact that we got a surprise entertainment during dinner that evening- a regional jazz band; the fact that the staff helped iron out issues with my friend's room/stay; and that they were able to give excellent directions of how to get the car closest to the hotel

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Information on check-in could have been a little more. Details were in the room, but in German only.

A nicely renovated, tasteful and peaceful hotel in the heart of the old town. Lovely. I will return.

• Large Deluxe Double Room

I found the mattress too soft. It would have been very nice to have been able to check in earlier as had been traveling since 4am

The atmosphere, the candles and the staff were lovely

Nil

Good Church view, lovely front desk guys are nice especially the old man, restaurants for breakfast is classic and grant environment! Wifi is good and room is clean !

• Business Double Room

If you stay in the annex--bathrooms very small

Very good breakfast--wide selection. Staff very helpful and knowledgeable. Location very good--beautiful town

• Business Double Room

Nice breakfast included in the price. Looked newly remodeled. Bathroom had a glass door with a hole in it for a handle. Kind of odd and not soundproof.

• Business Double Room

we didn't have hot water!!! also when we checked in, no info given about the WiFi so we ended up stealing from the neighboring hotel- even after we finally got the info- b/c the neighboring hotels signal was better. back to the water- it was pretty chilly when we were there 55 F and windy so we were looking forward to a hot shower. but the water would only get to tepid- slightly above thru the shower handle. we tried to slowly fill a bath (the water was a little warmer out of the faucet) but it was coming out like a trickle and wouldn't fill. there was ZERO warm water left for the second person in the room. we notified them- they came to the room quickly (thank you) but they were like make it work b/c we don't have any other rooms. so that was not awesome. AT ALL. so beware of room 100 - or make sure they have fixed the water before you settle in. i will say when i checked out i complained about the water situation again and they knocked off $30 EU. that was very nice but the hotel is already a great deal- i would have rather paid the full price and had a nice shower.

the room was very spacious and in a nice location. however our room (100) overlooked a courtyard that was over a restaurant so it was a little noisy- not terrible but just a little louder for the very quaint area. nicely decorated and mostly comfortable stay. breakfast was nice but not remarkable.

• Business Single Room

Breakfast spread was really good, bed was very comfortable. And the hotel also provides a free travel card to places in and around Freiburg which helped me save a lot of travelling cost while doing sightseeing there.

• Classic Double Room

There was street noise but shut the windows which solved the problem. Had trouble finding the parking location.

Staff was very helpful. Breakfast was good. Location was very good but hard to find parking location. Made a mistake in booking but staff solved it.

• Classic Double Room

Being in a pedestrian area and due to one-way streets , this hotel is difficult to reach. Although I knew it, the only way to park the car is to drive it to a multi-storey car park, which is rather close, but the first time seems so far to reach.

This hotel boasts a long tradition and its position smack in the historical centre is its bigger appeal. Although the building is old, the rooms are stylishly modern if a little minimalist. My window was soundproof and the bed comfortable. The hall where breakfast is served (very good) doubles as restaurant in the evening. I tried a 3-course set menu and it was excellent. The hall also features jazz performances occasionally. WiFi is OK.

• Classic Double Room

I loved the style of this hotel. It has been upgraded, bit it still feels quaint. It is in a great location, just 2 minutes from the Münster. The room was clean and peaceful. The breakfast was excellent and the staff very friendly. I would definitely stay again.

• Business Single Room

The rubbish truck which came at 6:50 a.m. and made a lot of noise for 20 minutes or so right in front of my window but it's not the fault of the Hotel.

It was close to everywhere, almost perfectly located. The breakfast was more than enough with variety. The building is a beautiful one and the staff is excellent. They always smile in a sincere way. I had a very comfortable stay in all terms except the building I stayed in was at the back street which was a little noisy. I don't mind the noise but if you do, they'll help you with yoir wishes for sure. The Hotel gives a free tram ticket for your stay. I'm also very much pleased with the little gift they gave me on my first day 😊 It made me find more than I expect to see in the city.

• Large Deluxe Double Room

Room was a bit small and although there was plenty of parking, which was easy to use and near the hotel, it wasn't on the hotel premises but a short walk away.

The rooms were lovely and modern. Breakfast was good. Location was superb.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Business Double Room

The toilet door didn't have ant lock and also it was made by glass! The pillows were not very comfortable for me and my friend.

It is in a great location as its in the heart of old town. The room is big and clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

The location according to our gps was a parking lot. We had gone around for a while until we parked in that parking area and tried to find the hotel walking. The hotel provided us with a discount for parking there but it still costed 12euros. The mattresses felt quite old, but for one night it was OK. And the shower was very, very small, but if you're not staying long it's fine.

Very old building, gorgeous restaurant with great food (we couldn't get enough of its decor). The hotel is nice and our room was simple, but at perfect location to explore the old town.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Bed was comfortable but having only one pillow was not. The shower head was like an out of control fire hose

Hotel lies very central and you can easily walk around. Staff was very friendly and helpful and served a nice breakfast. The hotel has a very authentic look, gemütlich!

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

Wifi was free but I had to reconnect and answer connection questions every time I opened my phone (it was not always automatically connected after the initial connection).

Walking distance from the train station, close to everything in the downtown and breakfast was included.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Nothing really

The staff on reception were very friendly also the girl on the breakfast tables she made us welcome the rooms were clean and the bed was very comfy

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Small Deluxe Double Room

On the opposite side of city center as the train station. It's not a bad walk if you only do it twice, but perhaps a bit far if you're making a lot of day trips out of Freiburg. Shower wand would not stay in position.

Very close to the cathedral. Great location for walking around the old city center. Typical breakfast. Very polite and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Large Deluxe Double Room

Stayed on the third floor and had no wifi. Reported to reception but never corrected.

the place had good charm and had an authentic German feel to it. Whilst old school charm it still had modern amenities and everything you could want in a short stay hotel. Room was very clean and bed was super comfy. Had a meal at the restaurant downstairs and enjoyed a Schnitzel.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Small Deluxe Double Room

It is not a real minus, but having some english channels on TV (like BBC or CNN) would be a plus.

People at reception are very friendly. Bed is really comfortable. Room is big enough.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

n/a

Exceptionally helpful and friendly reception staff. Ideally situated to walk to all the Old Town's sites. Onsite restaurant offered wide choice of evening meals.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

We were sad to leave.

The hotel has an excellent location within Freiburg and the staff were always polite and extremely helpful. We stayed in the apartment which was just around the corner from the main hotel and this had everything we needed and more. The Schwarzwalder Hof was perhaps the main factor in us having such a splendid holiday in Freiburg.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Business Double Room

We arrived at the hotel around 10:30 pm. There was a note that they left the keys in their neighbor hotel for the guests who arrived late. However, the neighbor hotel didn't have our room key but others, and we had to stay in the neighbor hotel paying them instead. When I visited the hotel next morning, the old man in the reception didn't apologize me what happened the night before. He rather blamed me of late arrival after their check in time. He asked me what the matter was if they didn't charge any to me. I was shocked at his manners and attitude. I told him that at least he should apologize me first. Then he yelled at me saying sorry sorry sorry. He was extremely rude. What if the neighbor hotel had no rooms available that night? I am an Asian woman and the hotel left the room keys for all other groups except us. It was the terrible terrible experience while traveling so far.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Small Deluxe Double Room

The room was a little on the small side but beautifully presented in a historic building. If you're not fond of church bells you may prefer to stay further out of the old town but we found it charming and the double glazing does make a big difference.

Great location within the old town and close to secure parking. The staff were very helpful and organised a courier for an ipad that we had accidentally left behind. This is a pretty hotel in a lovely setting and very close to the old town square, cathedral and restaurants. We would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Large Deluxe Double Room

Nothing except for the bells !!!

Very central location - except for the very, very loud bells from the Cathedral every 15 minutes through the night - even with windows shut !!

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Very hot and no air conditioning. Band in hotel restaurant very loud as were people sat and walking outside - had to sleep with windows open because of heat, and noise went on into small hours and made sleeping fitful.

Breakfast was good. Plus the hotel was fairly central (although quite a hike from the train station!)

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Very conveniently situated in centre of old town. Only a couple of minutes walk to a tram stop and tram is only three stops away from train station. The hotel met our requirements well.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Large Deluxe Double Room

The location is fantastic. Large room which was extremely clean. The bed was huge and so comfortable, had the best nights sleep whilst there. Breakfast was definitely 10 out of 10. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends with no hesitation.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Because there was no air conditioning we had to sleep with the windows open. So none of us got any sleep because the streets were noisy, the clock tower seemed to bong every 15 minutes. Woman running breakfast rolled her eyes at me when I didn't understand her German. That was shocking.

Very well located near the heart of old Freiburg. Spacious family suite. Breakfast included.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Our room was ridiculously hot,no aircon and no portable fans either. We left exhausted after a terrible nights sleep. Elderly man in Reception's first words were not Good morning, but "how do you want to pay?".When I raised my complaint that they need to invest at least some cheap fans he was brusque to the point of rudeness.

Just the location

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Business Double Room

The internet was in the room really bad. It was so slow we were unable to work from the room. Two single mattresses were put together instead of one king sized bed which was a bit uncomfortable to sleep on.

The location of the property is stunning, tucked away in a fairytale old town that is stunningly beautiful. The breakfast was hearty and generous. Rooms are clean and no frills. Staff was also very nice.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Business Double Room

On first arrival, a clearer explanation about the parking would have been helpful (i.e. that the hotel provides you with a special card which gives you a discount).

The room was fantastic, and hotel in great location.

Noisy They need a fan in the room Very warm already in early June

Excellent location

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Staff was very good, nice breakfast , good location

• Small Deluxe Double Room

The bed was super comfortable, the room very clean, very centric hotel close to parking. The breakfast was great!

• Classic Double Room

wash basin , it is modern but function doesn't work.

close to the Munster

• Business Single Room

No tea or coffee making facilities in room

Very good breakfast

Excellent staff .

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Two-bed room is small for 2 persons stay.

Breakfast is excellent!

• Business Double Room

The breakfast should be a little more diversified.

Locations

• Business Single Room

no parking for me car, you have to request on purpous, without knowing the price.

everything was as I expected.

All good

Great location. Nice testaurant

• Business Single Room

Very welcoming, and with an attention to detail that many 5-star hotels could learn from

• Large Deluxe Double Room

Great hotel with an exellent bar/restaurant attached. Perfectly located to explore the old town.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Immaculate rooms, great city centre location but very quiet. Staff with very good command of my language as my attempts at german is very poor

Very small shower

Very pleasant staff. Fabulous location. Very clean

• Business Single Room

the location in the old town and the breakfast

The room was small.

The hotel was very well located. The rooms were quiet and updated. The hotel itself was quite cute!

Everything is perfect ~

Very good!

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Beautiful place to stay in a perfect location. Very friendly staff, delicious breakfast and lovely room. Will definitely return.

• Classic Double Room

Fantastic location; charming hotel; friendly staff; great breakfast; car park (18€ for 24h) close by. Would definitely stay there again!

• Large Deluxe Double Room

Very central and in nice location. Staff smart and friendly. Good breakfast. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Well spacious room.

• Large Deluxe Double Room

No a/c, so the windows needed to be open - alot of street noice and the church bells!

Excellent Breakfast! Great location

Parking very expensive

Aamzing location, very nice hotel room

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Classic Double Room

The amount of stairs to get to our room.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Excellent bathroom, comfortable, clean and good location. Bear in the hall.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Great location. Great old hotel with modern updates.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Small Deluxe Double Room

In old town setting. Close to platzs and social scene. Fine restaurant.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Small Deluxe Double Room

Large, new and clean room with a feel of Schwarzwald

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Parking nearby with the hotel nestled in a quite street of the old town. Breakfast was plentiful.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

The weather...

The bed was super comfy, the shower was amazing and the staff were wonderful!

• Business Single Room

Lovely place and people, and a great restaurant