Reviews of Hotel Am Flughafen 3 stars

#218 of 223 hotels in Cologne

6.1

5.5

5.5

The bathroom is too small. For later hotel check in, you have to call an remote staff - it may be not comfortable.

Very close to the airport. A lot of good restaurnts (italian,spanish, german...) are near. Free wifi works fine. There's no problem with a public perking on the hotel front.

It is next to the main road, what is quite busy during the night. So it is hard to sleep with all the noise from outside.

I liked the location, it is easy to find, friendly atmosphere and you can pay when you arrive at the hotel. The price and quality are good and for a short stay, I do recommend it. It has a good connection to the airport.

It’s a 40 minute walk from airport I only had small bag so was ok Hotel Am Flughafen could not be further from the truth - it’s a 40 minute walk at best almost everything could have been better, staff lacked customer support it started with payment gave cash that was not possible they had no change used credit card I had to type the card number in – modern technology has yet to visit this hotel bed was hard pillow lumpy may as well of slept on a sack of coal no shuttle, had to order taxi came late in the morning asked a different member of staff in the morning to check booking they could not do not allowed to make calls breakfast only from 7am I booked taxi for 6:30 it arrived just before 7am luckily got to airport in time I won’t be back!

thankfully the shower was ok

The hotel's age was obvious. Good for 1 night stay (few hours sleep). The lady at the reception was willing to help,, although a bit grumpy.

The hotel was chosen based on its location - near the airport. For that it was great. 1 night stay, did not expect much.

Bathroom was clean but had a nasty smell of urine coming from the toilet

Liked that the bed was comfortable, room was clean and a lovely sized tv, however room was very warm but this was fantastic because it was very cold during our stay,

The bedroom was boiling, even with the radiators turned off (they were still warm), probably because there was heat coming through the floor. We slept very badly because of this. There was no receptionist to speak to about this, as one was sick and the other couldn’t stay. There was a phone number but it was too much hassle to get dressed, go downstairs to get the number, call and then wait for someone to turn up.

Clean, good location, quiet with windows closed, close to a few eateries, comfortable beds, good size room, windows can open wide, plenty of plug sockets

Pretty much everything. Needed a taxi at 5am. Reception said to go down and they would book. Went down at 4:50, reception closed. Nobody anywhere to be seen. Not even anywhere to drop the key. A disgrace really. Would probably have paid a bit more and stayed somewhere less horrid in hindsight.

Close to airport

We saw insects in the bathroom. We asked for the taxi and the taxi did not arrived (we waited 10minutes outside and called another taxi). This is crucial moment when you need to get to the airport. Awful smell in the hotel. Does not worth the money.

Its relatively close to the airport. 10minutes by taxi and 15 euro to pay

The room was as expected but there were a lot of noises from the central heating which kept me awake most of the night.

Good location and warm welcome on arrival

Reception is not manned, someone has to come over from another building, so you have to be very specific about what time you intend to arrive. Have e-mailed the hotel twice and called once requesting a receipt for my stay with no response. While the room was clean, it was very dated. Parking is "free", but only after 6pm.

Close to the airport.

Noisy, poor/tired facilities, too hot, not the nicest area.. Shower temprature impossible to control.

Nice Italian restaurant next door (not hotel restaurant which was closed the night I stayed at least) reasonably close to airport.

Too hot in the rooms, but an opened window was the resque :)

We arrived at midnight, but there was noone in the hotel. Glad we found a tel number, they said where the keys were and how to get to the rooms. In the morning we departed and still there was noone there, we put the keys in the same place and went to the airport. It was fun.

Dirty, run-down property, window without curtain or any blinds, wallpapers coming off, a single light bulb for a large triple-bed room, furniture from the 50s, smell all over the entire building.

nothing except the location not far from downtown Cologne

The room was the worst I've ever stayed in. There was no key card, just an old fashioned key so I didn't feel as safe. There is carpet glued to the window in the door. I found trash on the floor from the previous guest and the bathroom trash from the previous guest hadn't been emptied either. The walls are thin and I could hear the man next door every time he coughed. The windows into the room and bathroom didn't have proper curtains to give you privacy. Instead they were see through and only partially covered the windows. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but on the other side of the windows is a balcony that is shared by the guests in the rooms on either side. This means that if you're on the toilet and one of the guests next door decides to visit the balcony they will totally see you. Because of this lack of privacy I got up to shower at 5 am and left the lights off in the bathroom and left the light on in the bedroom so I'd at least have a little light to see what I was doing. As soon as I turned off the water and wrapped a towel around myself, the man next door went to the balcony and turned around and looked into my bathroom. I dropped to the floor and pushed myself up against the wall so he wouldn't see me. He then proceeded to walk past my bathroom and over to my bedroom where the light was on, I'm assuming to look into that window as well. Eventually he went back to his room and I dressed in the dark. This was a really unpleasant experience for me and left a bad taste in my mouth as this was my first night in Germany. I paid $125 USD for what ended up being a really ghetto hotel. The next time I was in Cologne I spent $40 more to stay at the Marriott and it was well worth the money. The Marriott was luxurious and best of all, made me feel safe. I would never recommend Hotel Am Flughafen to anyone.

The staff employee that checked me in was really helpful when I needed help finding which buses and trains I needed to take to get from the hotel to Brussels. He even printed out a schedule for me with train info and transfer info.

Well the place was very dirty and smelly. My 7 days in Cologne 6 I spent in Ibis Budget the price was almost the same, but very clean and worthy the money, this hotel near to airport was a disappointment but it was just for 1 night.

The Internet connection it was very good.

Breakfast was cheap. Coffee was German coffee, disgusting. Rooms very loud from staircase, elevator, neighbors. Bed old and uncomfortable. Toilet hat disgusting smell. Shower not hot water at all. Fotos at booking.com are not from this hotel!

The hotel advertised itself as being next to the airport. It was an 18 euro cab ride- not so close. We had told the property in advance that we would be arriving late; they said no problem. When we arrived, there were 2 different notes on the door instructing us to call 2 different numbers. The first didn't work. The second connected us to a grouchy woman who spoke no English. She finally barked "5 minutes." We stood on the sidewalk, in the rain, with all our luggage in the middle of the night for 15 minutes before the woman showed up. She acted like we had inconvenienced her by calling. The front desk area was very old and mildewed. It smelled like must and pee. We were very worried about what the room would be like, but we were pleasantly surprised that the room was very clean and comfy. While the room was good, I don't think that excuses the misrepresentation of its location and the terrible service.

The room itself was clean and comfortable.

The checkout day, the elevator didn't work so we had to carry our baggage downstairs.

Near to the airport, the room is very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. Indeed a good place!

Stale smoke smell in our rooms. Could do with some refurbishment especially new mattresses for the beds but was generally clean. We stayed only one night.

Price

The costs of taxi in one way from/to airport is 15-16 EUR.The public transport connection is inconvenient -bus+ train,no shuttle bus. We didn't meet the staff -neither at the arrival,nor at the leaving. Nobody to ask to order a taxi.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

front desk barely there, no coffee facility in the morning, only fast food open in area. if you don't have car, only taxis. buses very sporadic. should be only one star.

quiet, good wifi, room adequate and good size,balcony if you're a smoker.supermarket next door, not far from airport.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Unfortunately, the staff really didn't speak English, which was pretty frustrating when we tried to cancel the first time. The hotel was also kind of far from the airport and we had to get a taxi.

The staff was nice and the room was a good bargain for the money.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

neighborhood a bit run down, the hotel building too, though they did try to make the best of the situation.

Near the airport. Ok for a short stay (1 night in our case, after arriving by plane at night). Friedly staff and clean.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

As soon as i went to check in the incompetent staff did not know which is my room it took them 15 min to check me in despite that they had all vouchers and documents ready from me. the room had no conditioning and it was hell hot. Location was so far away from Koln city centre and not so close to airport either.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Room overlooking a busy street + no aircon = difficult to sleep at night. The room is either hot or noisy.

Friendly, responsive staff. Room was quite big.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Our group has been tricked by the receptionist, who said that breakfast would have been offered by the hotel on the 2nd and 3rd day of our stay (out of 3 total days), in spite of the fact that we had booked a room without any meals included. We have asked for it twice, in order to be extra-sure (and one of my colleagues is an Italian to German interpreter, so there is 0% probability she has not understood correctly). On the last day, the bartender asked us to pay breakfast for 3 days (instead of paying it for the 1st day only, as stated by the receptionist upon our arrival); we tried to point out the situation, but there was no chance to make her change her mind, also because the receptionist was not there. We had to pay 40 EUR more than expected, cash, and NO RECEIPT was issued for that extra charge. Stay away from this hotel, unless you want to be tricked as we have been.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

When we arrived the property/reception did not worked, it was locked...we had to wait and knock on the door, when we finally gave up after half an hour and called the number from the confirmation email, woman responded and sent some man to unlock the reception, so we waited another hour. The room was like a sauna, no aircondition, no mini fridge, the windows were huge and had no dark curtains, the noise from the street was unbearable, and there was construction work going on right next building. Horrible!! Dont go! Booking should deff remove this property. Its prepaid listing, and its not worth it at all!!

Clean room, friendly staff, good location.

There was nothing not to like i just needed a bed 😀

I was in transit for one night in koln so it was practical for me, not too far from airport

Dirty Hotel

Worst hotel ever!

Í will never stay there again

If you look for a short stay hotel near the koln airport its perfect.

Further from the airport than I expected, needed a taxi both ways.

cleaning and service

No hot water, dust in the room room , bad smell

Flexibility

Really comfortable bed, hot shower and friendly staff.

It’s appearance seedy

leaving it

great location good eating places near by

The wifi did not work during the entire night. Also, the lady that receive our keys for the check out was extremely rude.

terrible.not clean.code to enter not correct.must call at midnight very long to enter

Room was rather hot

Good bar

We only met the receptionist once throughout the trip. The cleaner smoked in the room while we were away.

The location was good.

The bed was comfy. The room was clean. You get a free wlan access too.

Very gente reception

It was too warm and had an strange smell.

Easy access by train station.

No 24hr concierge facility available. Receptionist doesn't speak English

Proximity to airport- within 7 minutes

same as above

nothing much the hotel does not deserve 3 stars

The good service

This property is cheap and there's good reason for that; while clean it smells musty and is some decades behind schedule for refurbishment.

Reception

Vicinanza aeroporto Colonia-Bonn

Closest hotel with reasonable price to the airport, Great for a nights stay

They said that hotel is in Cologne, but actually they are 15 km away from Cologne

Not too expensive

Location of the property only

The worst arrangement/ Poor House keeping

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Classical 70' years German old hotel style. It's a pity

Position and price

Small, uncomfortable and a little dirty. Overpriced for what you get.

Close to airport that's the ONLY plus.

Doesn't worth to comment on

I booked Bed and Breakfast and didn't get any so I have been in contact with Booking.com

Just a place to kip that's all I paid for and got.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

cold, rude worker, no reception

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

WLAN codes not working. Bathromm was not so cool, but the rooms were very nice.

Very nice rooms and localization.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Walls are very thin so you can hear almost every other guest on the level.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Very friendly stuff, near to the airport, nice location

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

Brilliant little hotel, lady on reception was so helpful and nice

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

Room was not cleaned properly and smelled cigarettes

Not too far from airport but this is cheap one night stay hostel only to sleep and go and for people who don't mind of not properly cleaned rooms. I tried to get to reception in the morning and it was locked I was knocking for good 5 minutes and no one opened the door.

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

Staff not helpful. Bed totally uncomfortable. Very thin mattress. Toilet smelt of urine. Not very clean. Radiator dripping water all night. Could not sleep. Curtain in bathroom was dirty. Do you want me to continue?

Nothimg

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

Single and separate beds even for couple.. we were not even able to combine both single beds..

I like location.. its 30mins journey by train and less than 30 mins by cab from koln hbf.. the location is quiet nd peacefull.. but u got to take 160 bus from prez station of 10-12 mins travel. Not a very great place but its in budget...

• Reviewed: 31 December 2015

the attitude of the staff

Unfriendly staff, the lady behind the reception is a real freak.The hotel was advertised as a dog friendly hotel but she didnt want to let in..bad service for an average accomodation

• Reviewed: 22 December 2015

It s a Hostel/ Motel, not a Hotel. Booking.com: please check at least the hotel before proposing us!!! Indeed, they had 2/3 stars and they don't event deserve one! It did not smell good, hot waters did not work and I booked in December and for 3 nights. I tried to ask the reception, they sent someone but it doesn't work ( attention please : I use presence). So for 2,3 days, I always had hot waters in 1' and then nothing for my bath. There's no one at the reception most of time. We don't know how to contact them : door closed, room doesn't have telephone. It s long away the city center. But the airport is juste right 10' by taxi

It 's always warm in the room

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

the Furniture is so old .and the woman in the breakfast you think that you eat here food .not the hotel food and she very angry when she see body come to breakfast and the bathroom no door is only close cover I do not believe that they still have something like this. .

nothing to like in this hotel

• Reviewed: 14 October 2015

It was far from the city center The room was too cold The window was open all the time The money was extremely too much for this hotel and I think was the worst I've ever visited...

• Reviewed: 13 September 2015

Breakfast with not many options (I didn't even have bread to eat), the room had an award smell, and there was no hot water in the shower. Reception does not work overnight, there was no phone to contact and ask for anything!

The hotel is close to a bus stop and about 20min walk from the station, not to mention that is close to the airport.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2015

The balcony was connected to all the other rooms from that side witch does not give any privacy if you do not close the shades. Some rooms of the neighborhood were too loud and some other were smoking inside.

It was close to the place I needed to be and it had nice restaurants near. It was clean as it can be for the money.

There are also 68 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Am Flughafen traveller photo gallery