Reviews of Novum Hotel Holstenwall Hamburg Neustadt This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Holstenwall 19, Hamburg Neustadt, 20355 Hamburg, Germany

#219 of 323 hotels in Hamburg

Based on 2058 hotel reviews

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Room was a bit smaller than we expected, but we were mostly there only to sleep and shower, so it wasn't a huge issue for us.

Great breakfasts included. Across from a large park - excellent for runners/walkers. Good location - 5 minute walk to harbor/St. Michael's. Bedroom small but very clean. Staff incredibly helpful.

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

The rooms to the street are very noisy. I asked for a wake-up call and they never called me. The breakfast is below average

Convenient location and clean

Bathroom doesn't have a lock inside (see photo)! Also other issues with a tiles on a wall in bathroom. Rooms are small and there isn't enough space even to put and open your luggage. Breakfast is poor, only warm dish - boiled eggs. Coffee tastes as instant mix and is served from the vacuum flasks.

Location is great. Stuff is helpful and responsive. Beds and sheets are clean and comfortable.

I’ve put the sign on door to not have anyone enter while I’m not there. It was disregarded 2 days in a row, 1st time i got in and found a couch that wasn’t there in my check in, 2nd time the couch was changed to another+ a table was brought in. The room wasn’t cleaned, they just changed furniture resulting to piling all my things and papers on couch then table. Both times i found the window open, i come to a cold room. The staff is friendly, I’ve met around 4 of them changing shifts, but twice i ran into a young girl at the reception that I wouldn’t call friendly. Nevertheless, she wasn’t able to answer the most common question of a tourist “where can I exchange money?” Nor she tried asking around. She handed me the key to pick up my luggage from the storage on my own saying “you can bring your bags” even though when i left it there, the other receptionist put it in himself to insure other bags were safe and untouched.

Quiet area, clean place, nice breakfast, good location

• Comfort Double Room

It took the staff way to long to handle the check-in procedure. During Check-out I had to provide the same information again just to get a proper invoice. Besides of that I had to pay the hamburg tourist tax even though it was a business trip and I had provided the according information here at booking.com while booking, then during the check-In (written form + business card) and again during the check-out... They told me I should have given that info at the check-in... kind of stupid, unorganised and disappointing

The hotel is well located

There was a misunderstanding with the room, as we did not get the one we wanted first. But the problem was solved next. The manager was very helpful and polite and did his best to find a way out. All the rest was great, good value for money.

The location is great, and most of the staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Economy Single Room

There's nothing can complain about it!

Very convenience to reach any place and especially there is a train station straight to airport. Many choices of breakfast as well which has been included in ur stay!

• Economy Single Room

If you need to take the metro when it's dark you have to go through an area that isn't illuminated and does not look safe at all. Breakfast had a limited amount of food variety.

Everything was clean and nice, the staff was always kind and talked to me in a very good English.

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Breakfast is busy at certain times, however they do warn you about this and if you go at the recommended times it is much better. Our double bed had two separate duvet covers which was slightly odd, it could be the norm locally but unsure. The bed was comfortable enough and we were plenty warm enough in the room.

We went to Hamburg for the Christmas markets for a long weekend. The hotel was nicely situated for visiting the various parts of the city, you can walk to most places or there is a bus stop right outside the hotel and metro station a few mins walk.

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Our neighbor on the next room was so loud that we woke up and was hardly able to sleep again.☹️

It was a good place to stay when you are on a tight budget. It takes 10-15 minutes to walk to reach the subway. The staff were nice and helpful.

• Economy Single Room

A little far our of city centre but close to UBahn at St Pauli and walkable to Reeperbahn and museums of Hamburg and St michael church

Clean convenient and good breakfast

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

The room we were in was quite small including a very tiny bathroom. Our room was overlooking the main road so we could hear all the traffic.

Friendly staff, quick easy check in- check out. Clean rooms. Short walk to underground and local areas. Lovely park located next to the hotel

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

There was some unpleasant smell in the hallway but it did not disturb me in the room; lack of free fresh water (the bottle of water from the bar costed 4 EUR)

The location is good; given the prices of other hotel and booking only 2 days in advance, I find this hotel a good value for money.

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (3 Adults)

We had ordered a baby crib, but when we arrived there was no crib in the room and there was none available on our first night.

The room was really big and the bathroom was very nice.

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

The availability of coffee or tea would have helped as the machine was out of order for the duration of my stay.No proper snacks available and no local cafes or restaurants.

There were no croissants!! Room very small and basic ,breakfast ok.The hotel lacked atmosphere but was close to city centre and park area.

• Comfort Double Room

My room was located in the basement with very insufficient lightning . Either there was anything about it in my reservation confirmation or I simply missed it. Another thing was the most complicated room locking system I ever seen.

The bed left a lot to be desired, very uncomfortable.

The breakfast was excellent. The location was perfect, walking distance to the Reeperbahn, Planten un Blomen and Hamburger DOM.

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

The room I booked was really small for two people. Staff for the breakfast wasn't that helpful when we asked support for a specific morning.

Helpful reception.

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Bathroom wasn´t clean at all. Breakfast was without bacon what was odd for me, but everything else at mornings buffet was top class.

I liked that staff was friendly and everything was well organized.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Rather simple hotel wich could have better beds. The breakfast was poor, not bad (except for the coffee, wich was horrible) but could definetly offer better variety and service.

It was clean and quiet. I think it was good value for the money.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Bad breakfast, less choices I found a spider in bathroom Some bugs on the floor Disgusting smell I don't recommend this hotle at all

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (3 Adults)

When we arrived 7 drunk men entered the elevator (meant for 4 people max) at the same time and got stuck in there because of the exessive wieght. That broke the elevator and we had to walk up 4 flights of stairs with our luggage ... not the staffs fault though, and the next day it was working again. The third bed in the room was unacceptable for an adult, it was lop-sized, so you slided off it. When we pointed it out the staff fixed it. No mini-fridge in the room.

Very friendly staff but seeemed to be a little over-worked. Nice breakfast. Nice clean room.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

pictures make room look slightly bigger,(but that is normal in places) bathroom in photos looked much more up to date with tiling in photo I saw for room.(but maybe that is other rooms). a small kettle for tea/coffee in room would be good, rather than a bottle of water costing €4. I would defiantly stay again.

Lovely hotel, nice & clean, friendly & polite staff from reception to maid. Breakfast was nice. Bed comfy which always makes a difference. Vending machine in lobby which is good when coming in late at night. Close to reperban & closer is St Pauli stadium. Which we went to St Pauli game.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

I really enjoyed my staying in your hotel withvery good manner and polite staff and everything and all your services satisfied us.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Economy Single Room

Unfortunately when I arrived at the hotel I found they had double booked my room. They organised another room in a different Novum Hotel on the East side of the city center. I didn't have to pay anything extra which was good. The other Novum Hotel was perfectly ok. I was a little dissapointed as chose the Holstenwall Novum because it was an easy walk to the Millerntor.

The gentleman at reception was very helpful and organised a taxi to the alternative Hotel which they paid for. The facilities in the alternative Hotel were fine so I could say that the Novum group of Hotels in Hamburg seem to be of a reasonable standard across the board. My German is very poor but the staff at reception all had very good English. I couldn't really fault the reception staff.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

maybe the photos were a bit better, than reality. However it is absolutely good place to stay.

The location was really good for us, because there was similar distance to the city center and to the place with a concert!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

We found that the lighting in the room wasn't very good making the room quite dark

We had a good experience in the hotel. It was central to the places we wanted to go in Hamburg.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

No soya milk (or other non dairy option) at breakfast

Good sized bedrooms, nice breakfast room with lots of choice. Excellent location, in walking distance to the city centre. Check out Zwick rock & roll Kneipe nearby.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

WIFI signal cyclically was too weak to be able to connect to the web then coming back again. Annoying.

Basic furniture and fixtures, but of quite convenient design and in excellent working condition. Impeccable.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

We were put in the basement and it was a super low bed. No ventilation in the room so we had to open the window when it was -5, and while it was next to a place where people smoke. It was nothing like the pictures from the hotel and absolutely way too costly.

Good breakfast, lots of choices. Staff was helpful and kind.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Tea making facilities in each room would be nice, but hot beverages are available in the entrance lobby via a vending machine.

The bedrooms are basic but clean and the beds are comfortable. The Breakfasts are tasty with plenty of choice and you serve yourself so can go back for more should you need to, A computer is available for guests for that all important Airline check-in and Reception will print out your boarding passes if you prefere good old fashioned paper copies. English speaking staff do make the experience more pleasant, as I speak very little German. My wife and I have used this hotel on more than one occasion because it has an excellent location and is very affordable. Situated at the end of the Reeperbahn its only minutes away on foot, from the best of Hamburgs night life. The busy Harbour is a mere 10 minutes away, and the historical Warehouse district a 15 minute walk. Directly outside the front door is an very large park should you be a runner or walker, and other attractions within the park (Museum, Skating Rink). We love this hotel, because we want a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed, and a good breakfast in the morning, before we go out and soak up Hamburg. We do not book in to "stay in doors". The Hotel will accomodate special requests, Our last visit was for my wifes Birthday, I requested flowers in the room on arrival for my wife, They were exactly as I requested, and she loved them, She enjoyed them for the week we were there, but we doubted they would survive the journey home, so presented them to the Reception who displayed them for other guests to enjoy. Whilst this may not seem special to some, I must point out that untill we actually checked in, The Hotel had recieved no payment from me, but had paid for the flowers. Hamburg is one of my favorite destinations, and I will visit it many more times, and will always book this hotel. A good bed, a good Breakfast, and an excellent location.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

There was a different address at the website. And there was nobody at that address. So we called like 10 times, eventually somebody answered and said that is the wrong address. They sent someone to take us , who didn't help with the luggages. Kind of rude behaviours. Also neighbourhood isn't nice. And balcony was full of cigarette ashes.

Kitchen and balkony

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

I specifically asked for a room at the back. I had booked 3 weeks in advance and prepaid. Once I got there I got a room on the street. My conclusion is that either no body had read my request, or once paid in advance who cares, and I had no option than to be stuck with it. Now ask me if I am happy about this ? Will I ever go back to this hotel, absolutely not, you know it and they know it. Now I wonder what is the benefit of booking in advance, through you, if something like this can not be followed through... I am now eager to see if someone will get back to me about this comment as I assume no one will since no one will read this. I bought earplugs instead so that I could sleep better the second night.

Despite my complaint, the staff at the desk was polite. They tried to help me the following day, but this would have needed us to cut the day's activities and come back at the hotel around lunch time to change room.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

There was a lot of Graffiti in St Pauli, but look beyond this and see Hamburg.

Ideal walking location if you want - the Reeperbahn, The Hamburg Dom, Hard Rock Café, Underground, Waterfront, St. Michaels Church and the Miniature Wunderland. The Zoo/Aquarium is not that far away on the train either.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (4 Adults)

Room was warm, air con would be good. Couldn't keep the windows open at night as was constantly woken by the church bells every quarter hour throughout the night. No facilities at the hotel, no bar/communal area. Price high for what was on offer.

Breakfast was excellent, staff friendly and room clean. Fantastic location for the Dom or Reeperbahn but within walking distance of shopping areas.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Behind the beautiful entrance is hiding a steep staircase you need to climb on your own with your suitcases in order to reach the reception desk. The staff was particularly unpleasant during the whole stay, the breakfast was more or less rich but with really the cheapest ingredients available on the market. The room was very hot with no air conditioning and also the law-quality curtains didn't stop the sun from shining brightly from very early in the morning - 5:30-6 a.m. and making the room even hotter. The hotel is not cheap at all, so it was really a disappointment.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

I did not like the room they gave us as in the pictures it looked more spacious than what the value of money they charged me.

The location was right near reeeperbahn & close to St pauli station.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (3 Adults)

TV in our room did not work - which was quite nasty during the European Football Championship. Fortunately Internet worked.

Were helpful staff at reception.

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Lights I think lights should be more

Everything was good Specifically i should mention breakfast It was amazing. Complete, fresh, and calm area.

Parking could be easier

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (4 Adults)

Not comfortable couch in 4-person room.

Big clean bathroom

Nothing everything is okay

Price

There was nothing we didn't like

A comfortable sray

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

The place itself is a little tired and dated

The breakfast was great. Plenty to choose from.

breakfast without diversity

Little bit large space

small rooms

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Massive room keys, which you have to leave at the reception every time you leave. Poor breakfast.

Nothing too special, good hotel for a short stop

Very noisy

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Very good and comfortable Hotel close to the Reeperbahn Street!

very little choices for the breakfast.

the rooms, though not that spacey but is clean, organized & comfortable. The toilet is very good.

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (4 Adults)

Reception staff incredibly rude and unhelpful. Family room located next to main road with constant traffic noise throughout the night.

Sewage smell.

Carpets old, a little damp and in the bathroom sewage smell.

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (3 Adults)

No parking Breakfast is very poor

Lovely breakfast, friendly staff

there were no umbrellas

Good location, quite calm

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Breakfast ok but coffeenwas terrible, waiters at the breakfast could have been nicer and polite

Good staff at reception, very helpful

Breakfast was good.

• Comfort Double Room with Sofa Bed (4 Adults)

No ventilation and as it was street view room it was impossible to open the window

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

No kettle in room. Breakfast was very basic.

Staff were friendly.

Room was very small!

Location is good!

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Only vending machines for refreshments. Only sparkling bottled water in the room no still water. Which was 4 Euros

The breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Economy Single Room

Noisy room because of the thin walls. The bed was uncomfortably soft.

Good breakfast, good value for money and good location.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Unfriendly staff, room really small

Good Wifi & breakfast, near St Pauli station

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Not every staffs but few are very unkind.

Everything was great.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Nothing else

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Last refurbishment must have been done 10 years ago.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Very central location. 10 min. walk to harbour

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

• Economy Single Room

Shower alcove size very small Room only ok

Staff from reception to the cleaning lady very pleasant and helpfull

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

• Economy Single Room

The position was perfect and the staff always very welcoming and smiley and helpful!

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Everything was perfect: from the staff, as the personnel is absolutely super kind to guests, to room clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

VERY much noise from traffic.

Walking distance to most of the city.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Highly overpriced. Paid 225 euro for what should have been no more than a 100 euro room.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Economy Single Room

No restaurant facility. Breakfast room looked a bit rundown.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

insects/silverfish in bedroom

personel at reception/breakfast

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double Room - Queen Size Bed

Too expensive, walls are paper thin

Location was excellent