Reviews of Hotel SportSchloss Velen This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Schlossplatz 1, 46342 Velen, Germany

#1 of 2 hotels in Velen

It was very convenient for the short stay that I was there. It fulfilled expectations.
    • Castle Comfort Single Room

The room was comfortable if a little hot. There was a small air conditioner.

The staff were very helpful. The breakfast was very well presented and very tasty.

Wonderful stay, although a more 'castle-atmosphere' in the rooms would have made it excellent
    • Castle Comfort Double Room

Overall we absolutely had a great and enjoyable stay, but there are a few things that didn't meet my expectations. We initially booked a Double castle comfort room, but the we one we were given was so small that we paid extra for an upgrade to a premium castle room, in the end paying around €225 a night, including breakfast. I know you also pay for the location and surrounding park, but I expected more 'class' from the rooms. But I really missed a 'castle atmosphere' in the rooms. It looks pretty business-like, the bathroom is dated and there are clunky, eighty's style, plastic(!) door handles. As you may have guessed, to me atmosphere is very import and when I stay in a hotel for that price, I expect a fuller 'castle experience'. Something else that I noticed is that there was nothing arranged for the dog, even though I had mentioned us bringing ours, when I booked. This was confirmed and agreed to a price of €16 a night extra. That's fine and probably also includes potential extra cleaning cost. But it would have been nice if there was a welcome treat for the dog and a water and food bowl or something. Some acknowledgement that we booked and pay for a dog to stay.

The location is beautiful and so is the castle. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. The gardens/park around the castle were great for a nice morning walk with the dog. We also enjoyed Restaurant Querbeet's a la carte menu on the first night. Great food and friendly service. And we were pleased that we could take our dog with us. The SchlossRestaurant was good, but not as special or high quality as I expected. But good nonetheless and - again - very friendly staff. The sauna and swimming pool facilities are also better than I have seen in most hotels. A shame we didn't take out enough time to fully enjoy it.

Attention - not all rooms are inside the hotel's park area
    • Standard Double Room - Annex

The location of the building in which our room was located was disappointing - it was not just 3 walking minutes away from the main building but also it was outside the park and to reach it, we had to cross a busy main street. This was problematic for us since we were travelling with young and very active toddler. So everytime we wanted to go the parking place, to the reception, to the restaurant or the have breakfast, we had to cross this busy main street and then go through the park till we could reach the main building. Fortunately the weather was good but I don't want to imagine what it will be in winter or when it is raining heavily. And in the room there was even no kettle or option for preparing tea, coffee or boiling water for the child. The air inside was sticky ane we coyld here clearly the traffic outside and all the movement and interractions in the corridor. In addition, to enter the building we slept in, we had to everytime carry our child's pram 4 steps up and down , luckily we found out that there is back entrance with a ramp. But here we come to the worst about the hotel - the service at the reception. No one told us that there is entrance with ramp. When I complained about the location of the room, the only help we got offered was upgrade which would have costed 40 euro extra and no mentioning of offering help with carrying our luggage or providing information that would make our stay more comfortable. We weren't informed there is swimming pool and spa area, but to use them we had to go all the way from our building to the main one anyway. So overall it was disappointing stay and I don't recommend the hotel to families with small children.

We liked the main parts of the hotel within the park - very beautiful from inside and from outside. Our room was spacious and with qualitative furniture.

First class in every way.
    • Castle Comfort Double Room

The property was first class, really 5 star. The staff were excellent and very professional as were the amenities and our room. The setting and surrounds were totally relaxing and the scenery superb.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Super
    • Standard Single Room - Annex

- Paying for the public parking € 7,50 per day. - There are no lifts in the outside buildings, no problem and logical but something to take in consideration when you book

- superb breakfast - Great Bar - Great staff - Good working airco - Breakfast also available half an hour before opening officially, this is a great plus because most hotels make a huge problem of this,...

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Fantastic 60th birthday celebrations!

The weather - it was very cold but I guess even the German Gruendlichkeit cannot help that!

Everything was great, made even better by the very friendly, efficient and helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. It made the 60th birthday celebrations of my sister extra special.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Good place to unwind but room for improvement
    • Castle Comfort Double Room

Restaurant menu is "middle of the road". From the hotel's description on Booking.com it's not clear that some rooms are located in separate buildings, which is an inconvenience when you want to go swimming or have breakfast during winter. Room size is small for this price level.

Nice location and atmosphere in beautiful surroundings, good place for relaxing and unwinding. Friendly staff and clean, good quality facilities.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Room was not inside the Schloss instead of that we received...
    • Standard Double Room - Annex

Room was not inside the Schloss instead of that we received a room across the street outside the property which didn|t have any thing to do with the Schloss. Breakfast on Sunday is finishing by 10.15 due to a public brunch which is following.

Historical castle with wellness.
    • Standard Double Room - Annex

Personnel under pressure. A bit too strong on rules.

Historical building, nice location.

breakfast, bar and swimming was great
    • Castle Comfort Single Room

breakfast, bar and swimming was great

Wonderfull place!
    • Castle Premium Double Room

Wonderfull place!

Comfy, quiet, beautiful castle hotel.
    • Standard Single Room - Annex

Quiet, charming little town. Great area if you want to drive and explore German countryside.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

room was very nice
    • Standard Double Room - Annex

staff was friendly but not very accurate

room was very nice

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

An excellent place to visit.

Nothing to speak of.

The facility was clean and very well taken care of. A place I would definitely recommend. A beautiful setting.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Very nice ambiance.

ËThe syports schedule was

Very nice ambiance. Crossbow shooing was well explained, fun to do and the materials were good.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

This place was fantastic!
    • Standard Double Room - Annex

Wish we could have stayed longer.

This place was fantastic!!

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

Very romantic, nice breakfast, good food, nice personell.

Good only if you travel by car and like to be in the nature, not much around. Service in the restaurants has obviously some room for improvement.

Very romantic, nice breakfast, good food, nice personell. Lovely escape place for a weekend.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2016

There for a friend's wedding, my stay was perfect from...

There for a friend's wedding, my stay was perfect from start to finish. Staff very attentive and went that 'extra mile' - looking up bus timetables for me and lending me an adaptor. Food - divine. Great pool and sauna area - nice and clean with views out to the grounds. Comfy room - good night's sleep.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2015

The castle is beautiful, in large gardens in the centre of a...

The check-in and "welcome" at reception was the worst I've experienced for a long time. My room was in a house that was quite a long outdoors walk (including across a public road) from the reception, dining room and all other facilities. When I arrived, I had a long walk from the car-park, in the rain, to reception. I was given a map to find my way to the house where my room was. I wasn't offered any help with my luggage or with an umbrella. When I got to my house, I discovered there was a small car-park for guests - but no-one told me about it. There is no room service in the rooms that are away from the main building. When I checked in, no-one told me you had to ask at reception for wifi access - so I didn't walk back to reception again. They also charge for wifi - it's only one euro - but why is it so complicated? This is a "wedding hotel" (Hochzeithotel) - they don't really care about individual travelers.

The castle is beautiful, in large gardens in the centre of a small town

• Reviewed: 7 July 2015

We stayed at the suite housed in the main castle.

None!

We stayed at the suite housed in the main castle. The room was very spacious with a luxurious bathroom. The amenities at the hotel was also very good. Clean swimming pool, excellent sauna and gym. The area around the castle is also very nice and we had a good time strolling through. We loved our stay here and are sure to return.

• Reviewed: 14 June 2015

The hotel was very well equipped with facilities and the...

The Internet was not a constant feed in the hotel and you needed a code after every timed allowance.

The hotel was very well equipped with facilities and the staff were very friendly. They spoke very good English. The food was fantastic and good selection of wines and quality beers.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2015

The surroundings, the friendly staff, the restaurant and...

The surroundings, the friendly staff, the restaurant and breakfast.

• Reviewed: 30 May 2015

Beautifully restored old castle;

internet access akward and slow

Beautifully restored old castle; fabulous wellness area (sauna, pool); nice breakfast; wonderful surroundings

There are also 5 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.