Reviews of Stadthotel am Römerturm This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

St.-Apern-Str. 32, Altstadt-Nord, 50667 Cologne, Germany

#106 of 232 hotels in Cologne

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Business travelling in Cologne

It was all ok, unfortunately the price is really high for a business traveller

This hotel is the perfect one for who travel for business (as i do). Clean room with modern design, bar opened 24/7 and easy-to-go services.

nice business hotel

everything was ok

very close to the centre also excellent for shopping I asked for an additional pillow and they send 2 big ones and a small one for me to provide more comfort .I really enjoyed that.

Great Location

WIFI connectivity wasn't very good. Had to tether to my phone.

Location is fantastic. Single rooms are small and basic but have all that is needed and appear to have been remodeled. Very clean.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Great value, great location

There’s no refrigerator.

It’s at a great location and provides parking for a reasonable day rate. The room was quiet and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Air conditioner worked excellent and coped with heat +37!

No refrigerator in the room. Very expensive breakfast - the price doesn`t match with quality and assortment of food

Air conditioner worked excellent and coped with heat +37! Very friendly stuff and nice comfortable room

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Location was good, nice places around.
    • Queen Room

Bed was very uncomfortable, it went down in the middle and the curtain was not fully blocking the light so very bright early morning. The pillows were very uncomfortable either, too big for the bed size.

Location was good, nice places around. The room was clean Quiet location

Centrally located

I stayed here 3 nights and it was very dissapointing. The hotel is going through a huge renovation at the moment: summer 2018. Therefore were the floors in the corridors dirty. Labour people working, which causes unrest and loud noises. Also, the airco did not work properly. Actually did not work at all. Pffff. It was 27 degrees in my room. Too hot! I got another room, which worked out better. But the last night it was again incredibly hot. At reception they could not help me, because the technicians left. Another issue is that reception is often unreacchable. Either nobody there or they did not pick up the phone when I called them. I think they should inform about the renovation. And make this clear on their and other websites. And offer a discount! Rooms on the front are a bit noisy. WiFi is not working well. Often disconnected.

Centrally located. I could check out a bit later. Printed my train ticket. Great shower. Good beds. Clean rooms.

Nice but Expensive
    • Queen Room

The hotel was being renovated. The breakfast was too expensive 15€. The TV only German channels. And we found stains on the bed sheets.

The room was very nice and bathroom perfect. The hotel was central and a short walk to the center.

Proximity to the city center

We expect a standard queen bed but instead have a 140cm x 200m bed frame (the hotel called it “French” Queen bed). Maintenance onsite during our visit, drilling sound early in the morning.

Proximity to the city center

Decent value for money
    • Queen Room

Even though the internet was marketed on booking as being available throughout the hotel, during our stay it didn't work at all.

The rooms are big enough for 2 persons, with nice furniture. The bathroom was also spacious.

Great city hotel
    • Queen Room

The location is very central. Our room was small, but comfy and we could see the cathedral from our bed. There’s a very nice bakery just around the corner with great outdoor seating called “Bastians”, so we were happy that we skipped the hotel breakfast.

Perfect location and parking
    • Queen Room

I like to feel to be at home when I am booking a 4-star hotel. The hotel doesn't have a coffee machine through which you can pay and take your coffee. It was 10 pm, I ask the reception to give me a coffee (I would pay), however, she said NO, although she could easily give me a coffee from the coffee machine in the restaurant and charge me.

Location Parking

Only good location and nice hotel.

Staff - very unpleasant and not polite. We didn't feel welcome. Price - I payed more then on booking. They charge me 35€ extra, even I show that the booking confirmatio/price is different. Parking - 13€ day.

- Perfect location - Nice and cean

King size bed was promised, I asked for twin beds, in the...
    • Queen Room

King size bed was promised, I asked for twin beds, in the end got a standard double bed, rather small and uncomfortable. Room was small, bar at the hotel also unimpressive. All was clean, but not sure if worth 4 stars.

It isn’t a 4 star hotel.
    • Comfort Double Room

The bed isn’t as specified in booking. we got a double bed with two twin mattress and also two single duvets. Also, no slippery and bathrobe as we usually find in good 4 star hotels. Also, the staff wasn’t polite to fix the problem and inconsistent with the answers (different périplo, different answer).

The location is 15 min from the old market, which is a good place for beers

It could have been better if there was a fridge and a coffee making facility in the room.
    • Queen Room

Reception and house keeping staff, excellent in doing their jobs. Fast in responding to our requests whilst we are there. Location and quality is Superb for the price....close to high street and night life. Quiet area in the heart of Cologne. When we got our bearing, we just walked from the hotel to the train station going to the airport. We rented cycles and left it outside the hotel. We feel safe in the area. It is just at the back of Pullman Hotel.

Good location for city break
    • Queen Room

Paintwork in the room was tired and scuffed and could have done with a refresh

Great location central to museums/shops/cathedral. Fairly small room and bathroom but adequate for our needs.

Great for staying in the City!
    • Queen Room

The beds were too hard for my liking.

Really close to the city, very nice rooms, quiet even on the weekend. Good parking lot just outside of the hotel.

Great facilities!
    • Queen Room

The shower could have been a bit more powerful, but that's being picky. It's a cheap taxi or long walk to the centre, but still a good location with accessible food and drinks nearby

The rooms were lovely and had all the nice touches. The hairdryer was good and powerful unlike most hotels, there was a nice plate of fruit and cakes in each room, haribos on the pillow, tea/coffee/kettle all good. Comfy beds and big thick pillows. Cleanliness was good.

Comfortable and central but I will never stay here again.

Staff tried hard to book taxis but the hotel processes are simply inadequate; they can't even tell if they have successfully booked a taxi or not. The wifi was good in terms of reliability and capacity but I will NEVER stay at this hotel again because they censor websites, presumably because of their Catholic history. But it is not the place of a hotel to try to exercise moral authority over its guests. VERY POOR.

The bedroom was small but well designed and perfectly adequate so long as you didn't want to spend a lot of time in the room. The bed was very comfortable; very firm. Shower and bathroom facilities were very good. Breakfast was the same as the hotel of a large chain and the coffee was particularly good. Some lovely touches - e.g. a plate with some fruit and sandwich on arrival.

Meh hotel. Nice staff

Draconian, poorly communicated (at front desk not online) booking policy. Policy should make allowances for emergencies

The staff were super nice and helpful

Could have been better
    • Queen Room

Bed could have be more comfortable. The cleaning staff didn't clean half the room during our stay, which made us wonder how clean the room was before we checked-in.

Great Location

great location
    • Queen Room

The staff is super friendly and location is perfect! Rooms were cleaned every day very carefully, however the the bed is kinda small not so comfortable. The bathroom is not the best either, a bad smell comes from the shower.

Poor value for money, unhelpful staff, non working facilities
    • Queen Room

Booked a double room with queen bed for myself and my wife, arrived to a room with a small bed with one pillow. All staff can do is give us an another pillow. Had to argue to get a bigger room in which the heating didn t work and we had two single blankets in December, was a horrible night. No apologies from the manager in the room. Ps. 20 euros charge for parking for 1 night. Definitely not deserve to be a 4 star hotel.

Great location but improperly trained staff
    • Queen Room

The lady checking us in, insisted I dont know my name. They had a problem with their system where the last name was listed as first name. The lady was extremely rude and basically telling me I dont know my name. Rather than checking both columns of the table, she had the audacity to be upset with us. Completely sassy for no good reason. That person should never work for the reception

great location but definitely not a 4 star hotel by anyone's standards
    • Queen Room

uncomfortable mattress, too few towels provided i.e 1 for 2 guests, lack of facilities in room, in room safe not working

Great location but I have found better standards in 0 star, low budget hotels

Not great
    • Queen Room

4 star hotel and rooms don’t have the basics... no mini bar / mini fridge, only in the junior suites they said... no kettle for tea or coffee , usual basics like hair conditioner , not in the room. Very annoying gair dryer , need to hold button for it to work ... so if u are like my friend with long hair - good luck! Asked to clean the room as we left 2pm, came back around 7pm - not done. Bought coffees and brought them to our room, it took lots of space on the table , left outside the room, found same place in the morning. Not sure , maybe understaffed but deffo not 4* hotel. Not to mention , no gym or other facilities

Location is great , veey central ... receptionist with a beard was lovely

christmas mini-break
    • Queen Room

The greeting was friendly and we had already been offered an upgrade (for a little extra) and it was worth it. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff are very helpful and attended to a problem efficiently. We felt they cared. Great stay to visit the shops, markets and the local brauhaus!

Adequate

Bed too hard. No room service. Bar small in reception

Facilities good for conferences, not so good for independent travellers e.g. Bar and lounge area part of reception

That the TV would be in English if that is the language that...
    • Queen Room

That the TV would be in English if that is the language that you choose, as I found that the German would be still be the main language you would hear.

Very nice place, will definitely recommend to my friends.

Hotel is situated on the small and very quite street, and is 10min walk to the Dom and close to all the main attractions, including Christmas Markets which were the main reason of my visit to Cologne. If you want to be in the city center but feel yourself like being in a suburb, you should choose this hotel.

Good Central Hotel
    • Queen Room

Total lack of English language channels except CNN. BBC world service was advertised in channel pack but not available

Good location for centre but also quiet.Room was very comfortable with a good shower. Very vkean

Nothing better for the price and overall experience
    • Queen Room

Incredible quality of construction and you see it the second you step into the elevator. I only have great things to say about this Hotel . The location is 2nd to none , the rooms are immaculate and it's extremely quiet. I would stay here again and recommend to other guests visiting cologne that want to be right in the action

Clean hotel located just minutes from Dom (Cathedral) and Bahnhof (train station)
    • Queen Room

WiFi was horrendous - I had room # 318, which was located farthest from the elevators. I barely had any WiFi reception, and when it did connect, it sucked big time. Not much to cheer about in terms of facilities, and the room can definitely be a bit cheaper for whats on offer.

Located just 10 minutes from the Dom & train station, its perfect location for those with limited time in Cologne. Quite a few restaurants/bars within walking distance from the hotel.

The hotel is in a Conveient location and is a reasonably good value for the money.

I liked the hotel & cannot really think of anything I did not like.

The hotel is in a good, central location. There are also two very good Italian restaurants within a very short walk.

Nice location, but bad value for money
    • Queen Room

Value for money. There are other hotels that offer amazing rooms for less money. The room was too small, and lacked air. Decoration could use an update.

Very nicely located, and pretty clean.

Good overall

- The transaction machine was at fault. I had to pay with cash. - For this kind of price (143 Euros), they could have at least given a breakfast in the morning... Unfortunately, for breakfast, it costs another 30 euros. I had to just eat packed food from home.

+ It's close enough to Gloria Theater. If you are a Star Citizen coming to Gamescom, you may want to consider it. + Fancy room with a desk and a TV in front of your bed :) even though I did not watch it. I was too tired from Gamescom.

Great Place to stay, cetnral, friendly staaf -have stayed...

Great Place to stay, cetnral, friendly staaf -have stayed before. This time around I have had some kind of generator going on whole night so did not have had a good sleep. i could ask for another room but since it was only for 2 night Idid not bother

Great location but overpriced single room

I didn't like the sound proofing, it was very easy to hear other rooms including snoring neighbours. There was also a speaker in the room which was buzzing every so often, very annoying. The small single bed rooms are not worth the rate which I paid.

The hotel is in a great location very close to the shopping street and fairly close to tram stops, its also very clean.

Nice hotel close to everything
    • Queen Room

Parking and breakfast are on the expensive side. But there are so many cafes in the neighbourhood that serve coffee and breakfast for a cheaper price, so that is a good alternative.

Nice room, good location, very helpful staff.

The room was really nice, comfortable, quiet, fresh in these...

The internet connection was good but got disconnected regularly, every ten or fifteen minutes. This was a bit unexpected in a hotel of this category. I needed a good functioning internet, this was just minimal.

The room was really nice, comfortable, quiet, fresh in these summer days. I was even allowed to check in earlier because my room was ready, and a later check out was possible. Thanks for this. The reception was helpful for all my questions.

Great hotel and staff located in Cologne!
    • Queen Room

I requested 2 beds (twins) instead of a double bed. They mentioned they don't have rooms with twin beds.

I was there for Gay Pride Weekend, and I was surprised the parade passes in the corner of the hotel, so handy! If you need bathroom you can go to hotel, and at the end of the parade you avoid of the people and you can be at your room 2 minutes later to refresh and rest.

Good hotel in Cologne center
    • Queen Room

For a 4 star hotel in Cologne center, the room was not very equipped (no mini bar or iron)

Very comfortable bed, great breakfast selection and amazing location

Nice hotel but kind of difficult access in the rooms

Room is overcrowded, looks more like labyrinth and it's not easy to walk inside it. Bathroom is small but ok. Very long corridor and complicated so it's was hard to find out where is elevator because of it. Only ONE elevator in a big hotel like this one, was hard to get your turn to use it!

Hotel is modern, very clean and in one of the best locations in Cologne. Staff is endless friendly. Room is nice, good bed, good wifi, free bottle of water in the room. Working AC. Nice chapel on the top floor.

THIS HOTEL IS NUMBER ONE IN COLOGNE!

Nothing at all. Everything was perfect.

This hotel was amazing. Ms. Amira on the Reception is very much helpful to me and I think she is the best working person that a hotel can ever has. She was representing the hotel in the best way. The location is also perfect, easy to walk and shop all around. As a guest, I will recommend this hotel to all the people who will come to Cologne.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The hotel was the worst experience I have ever get in my...

The hotel was the worst experience I have ever get in my life. They have huge problem for organization. The mattress and pillow was awful. I have stayed at many low cost hotel, never seen this type before, but really disappointed!

Don't miss out- excellent staff, location, room and facilities

There is nothing that I didnt like.

The hotel was excellent, and especially the front office were so accommodating and supportive. Excellent place, walking distance to the shopping and restaurants, middle in the town, but in a really quiet corner. If I go again, I will definitely stay in the hotel. The front office manager Frau Hipp did know how to provide superior customer service. Lovely place, great price point. I had even a view to Cologne Cathedral, what a treat.

Lovely value for money hotel close to the centre of Cologne!
    • Queen Room

A minifridge and an electric kettle in the room would have been nice!

The staff was extremely helpful - when we accidentally forgot the combination of our safe and panicked, a lovely lady from the reception came to our aid with a smile! Very, very reasonable price for dry-cleaning and ironing a pair of trousers Beautiful artistic photos of Köln as wall decorations View of the Dom from our window! Nice comfortable beds

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

No waow, but a reasonably nice and clean place with good breakfast

Rooms are nothing fancy, a bit outdated, but very clean and well taken care of.

Friendly staff, good location, nice and complete breakfast. Perfect for a night on business.

4 Star Hotel in Germany

At 74 I walk with a walking stick for added support when needed.I was surprised on arrival by taxi that no ramp or lift was available beside the outside steps leading to reception.There was a locked lift beside the steps but no controls to operate or enter the door. Had it not been for the help of the taxi driver I would have had difficulty in reaching the reception desk. I am surprised that a 4 star hotel in Germany is allowed to have inadequate facilities for such help, it is after all the largest economy in the EU! Another surprise was to be told that the restaurant was closed on the Saturday evening!

Room was spotless, furniture very modern,lighting and electric sockets plentiful and well placed. Bed and easy chair very comfortable with TV easily adjusted. Breakfast in the dining room was lovely plentiful with a wide variation in taste. The security safe was well positioned and easy to use!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Nice quiet location, but still close to all
    • Single Room with Queen Bed

Tiniest guest room I've ever seen and no choice of another room without paying for an "upgrade". No shelf space in the bathroom for toiletries.

The hotel looked much nicer on arrival than the pics online. That said, the room was microscopic - even by European standards. Lobby lounge was lovely with an espresso machine free for guest use. Breakfast was top-notch. Front desk staff varied, but the one who checked me in was VERY nice and helpful. Nice plate of goodies waiting in the room. Amazing view from the room. Pics of room and view posted here.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

very short stay but clean room & good wifi!
    • Single Room with Queen Bed

To start with, I used to work as a receptionist myself so I would think that I know what is important for a good check-in. Honestly, in my point of view, there is potential for improvement in this regard. E.g. I was not asked for any ID upon arrival, the room type / length of stay was not confirmed upon processing the payment (btw please note that your credit card will be charged upon check in - some properties would only authorize the card and charge upon check out). Moreover, I would suggest to provide information about breakfast option and wifi before the guest has to ask for those details.

When I arrived at the property around 1:30 pm I was not able to check in yet. However, the receptionist stored my luggage until I returned to the hotel later that evening. Moreover, after asking about wifi access they provided me with the necessary log in details which was very much appreciated. The lobby is quite nice and the comfy seats invite you to rest a little bit before heading out. The room itself (single room with queensized bed) was not very spacious but good enough for me travelling alone. What really surprised me in a positive way was the nice view as I could see the famous Dome. Besides that, the room was clean and I got a good night sleep. Another nice touch was the complimentary large bottle of mineral water on the desk. Furtherore, the wifi was working very well as I could not only check my mails but also watch Netflix. In the next morning, I asked the receptionist to call me a taxi as they explained me the evening before that they cannot prebook any. The cab arrived 3 minutes later so that was fine. Finally, if you like Sushi, you should definitely have dinner at "sweet sushi" which is located literally around the corner of the hotel (note that you can only pay cash).

Kölner Dom is in walking distance
    • Comfort Double Room

Parking costs are not included into booking price and are extra. That is standard approach for most of the hotels in Germany though

Kölner Dom is in walking distance Staff is polite and helpful Room was clean and ready nothing to complain about :)

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Very narrow and hard bed.

Very narrow and hard bed. It is possible to get something from lobby- bar only after all guests are checked in , because the same person serves in the reception and in the bar. I had to wait more than 20 minutes.

Good but not great.
    • Queen Room

For the price and being a 4* hotel I expected a little more; Wifi coverage terrible in the room. Would only work at the desk. Kept dropping anywhere else in the room. Lack of basic amenities such as kettle, toothpaste etc. Bar available downstairs at the hotel (but expensive, 16e for gin&tonic + bottle of water for the room...) Single duvet on a double bed. I like to use the whole bed. Otherwise I'd book a single. No introduction to breakfast/dinner/other possibilities at the hotel upon arrival by the staff.

Room was nice and tidy, quite comfortable. Free wifi for up to 3 devices.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

My City hotel also for a next visit.
    • Single Room with Queen Bed

Only one elevator for a 6 floor hotel is a bit poor. There is an uncovered parking at €13/day. breakfast is very good but cost €15/day

Nice spacious room. The hotel rooms are very quiet. Nice and easy access to the city center.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Comfortable hotel in the center
    • Queen Room

The bed mattress is a bit hard

The hotel location is excellent, very central and walking distance to most places you would want to see in Cologne, it is also fairly accessible through public transport. The rooms are fairly sized, and it is generally quiet so it is easy to sleep comfortably. the staff are super friendly and helpful. The li

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Absaloutley rubbish
    • Queen Room

Beds staff attitude no breakfast included price building works at the door No English channels on tv small covers on a small bed very uncomfortable

Very little

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

1-shop stores are within walking distance
    • Comfort Double Room

1- has only one elevator 2- housekeeping was insufficient 3- the largest Christmas market takes around 15 mins walk

1-shop stores are within walking distance 2- one of the newest hotel in the city 3-parking 4-wifi

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Very comfortable, very clean, helpful friendly staff
    • Queen Room

No coffee making facility in the bedroom

Location was ideal. Hotel was spotlessly clean. Staff went above and beyond to be helpful and friendly. Rooms were very warm and comfortable

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Don't be scammed, luxury price for hostel
    • Queen Room

The staff had given us the wrong room - incorrect size for number of guests, then were rude and demeaning when we pointed this out, saying it was our own fault for not knowing the room we would be in. Eventually - several hours later - a manager agreed the error and upgraded us to a larger room, with twin beds and a camp bed in the corridor! Which we took as checking there were no other vacancies in the area. Upon checkout though we found we had been charged extra for this 'service'!!!!! The hotel is plain, battery style basic accommodation with absolutely no facilities but charging luxury prices, must be avoided!

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Enjoyed the breakfast selection.
    • Comfort Double Room

Would have liked sachets of instant coffee in the room.

Enjoyed the breakfast selection. One of the waiters was extremely helpful translating the menu for us. Delighted with the Christmas treats left outside the door and at breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Super
    • Queen Room

Very nice and helpful staff. The bed was really comfortable. My room was quiet. Cold shower water in the morning, but I was offered a free breakfast while the problem was being fixed.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

Yes...but
    • Queen Room

For a four stars hotel you will expect a room a bit more comfortable. The bathroom is small and there is a little shelf (too little) to put your stuff on. The towels are a bit dated

It is in a good position. 15 min walking to the cathedral. Very quiet. Soundproofing is good. Air conditioning perfect Clean

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

Lovely stay!
    • Queen Room

Rooms were on the small side but we were using it as a base so wasn't a problem however a king size bed as standard for couples would be nice.

Nice hotel, well decorated, good location

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Location -good, far from noise, Breakfast-diverse and fresh

Most of the hotel employee speak English very poorly. The bathroom tower were torn in pieces.

Location -good, far from noise, Breakfast-diverse and fresh

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

I've seen better in Germany for less
    • Queen Room

Very boring interior, reminds a hospital. Squeaking bed, psychedelic illumination in cold white LED of the bathroom. Yet expensive. Not really worth even 3 starts.

Breakfast was not bad. However, it would be nice to have it longer on weekends. 10.00 is too early to close the buffet.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Good central location.
    • Queen Room

Narrow bed. Duvets overlapping was a bit awkward. Room a bit small.

Clean, comfortable. Excellent location for our trip. Quiet.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Very comfortable, clean and functional.

Very comfortable, clean and functional. The Check in staff member was incredibly helpful and made a great first impression.

Best place in Koln

Nothing everything was perfect

The location close to the resturants and bars, the staff very friendly

Great friendly staff, lovely quiet location, close to subway...

Great friendly staff, lovely quiet location, close to subway, comfortable bed in clean room.

in the rooms there is no refrigerator.

in the rooms there is no refrigerator. and there is no slippers for using in the room.

Köln trip 25 August, 2018
    • Queen Room

Didn't have a fridge in the room or tea/coffee facilities.

Easy early check-in and approachable staff.

Good place

Elevator works if you have a key

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018