Reviews of Stadthotel Freiburg Kolping Hotels & Resorts This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Karlstr. 7, 79104 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany

#36 of 50 hotels in Freiburg im Breisgau

Runners Paradise/ Great Value and Friendly !

The room was 'quirky' with a large pillar in the middle. The weather was warm (Mid 20's) so the room was hot in the evening. I slept with the window open as wide as possible, but the construction site immediately nextdoor made for an early start about 6am they started banging scaffolding. I was lucky enough to view another room of my friends who paid the same. Their room was much larger (for the same money).

Despite a few nights broken sleep - its a nice venue. Close to everything and ideal to settle for a couple of night. Running: I had a fantastic 7 MILE run/ look for the river path that takes you to 'Stadium - Schwartzwald' Of course finishing the run with BEER at the 'BlackCat' Swartzkaten Bar - was a highlight.

Old fashioned, overheated but good location...prob ok in the colder months!

The room was unbearably hot overnight. There was a see through curtain only so we had to lower the shutters at night to keep out the light or get undressed which meant the fan simply circulated increasingly hot air. Even walking out of the room the temp dropped noticeably in the corridor. Bathroom was equally hot with a dodgy shower screen that the plastic trim kept falling off whenever you opened or closed the door. Bar area very grim and is really just chairs in the foyer. We had to go find someone to ask for a drink at 9:30pm. No hot drinks (machine broken apparently).

Good location. Easy to walk to centre in five mins . Nice little bakery two doors down did lovely coffee and pastries.

No air con

Quite noisy, only had a fan in the room and it was hot in August when we stayed no air con so left the window open but very noisy early in the morning on the street below. There was an empty beer bottle in our mini fridge on arrival which I told them about then I was charged at the end of my stay (they did take it off again) and a young lady receptionist was uninformed about some of the local area and sent us off on a bit of a wild goose chase.

5 minute walk to town centre and trams out of town. Comfortable room. We did not eat here, but breakfasted in the little bread shop next door, lovely coffee.

Great little hotel near the old city

We traveled in August, during a heat wave. There is no AC. This would normally be a small challenge for us but we would open windows and be ok. It was HOT in Freiburg. The rooms were outfitted with a fan, but it was still a challenge. It would be nice to have more than one fan in the room to try to circulate the air. We accepted it had no AC when we booked it, but that was before the heatwave hit. Be advised, August could be uncomfortable. I would stay here any other time though. It was a very nice hotel. I would also caution, you should probably not plan to walk alone. It is a rather dark street at night.

The staff was very kind and helpful. We were searching for a tour (which apparently none were available on the week days) and for places to eat. It was a quiet week and they helped me search for info and made multiple phone calls trying to see if any of the online tour companies we found were available.

A quality hotel in a good area
    • Economy Double Room

The small room was only just big enough for two people and luggage. Get a bigger room if planning to stay for more than one night. The heatwave conditions when we visited made the room almost unbearably hot and stuffy, despite being able to open the small window. A fan was provided, but could not do much to help. The open window also meant that we were awoken at 4am by some local loon practising a Germanic Reveille and Amazing Grace on trumpet (together with shouted responses from other neighbours). Altogether not the best night's sleep, but for reasons largely out of the control of the hotel.

The staff were polite and efficient, as befitted the standing of the hotel. Location close the the old town and major shopping areas was also very convenient. Parking was a bit difficult in general, but early arrival meant we were able to get relatively cheap access to the small area behind the hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Business hotel for city sightseeing
    • Economy Double Room

Hotel very close to the city center, good private parkingood breakfast. Business hotel, nothing typical but a very good starting point to visit the city

5.5
    I liked that they had a small fitness room and I got to do a...
    • Economy Single Room

It was pretty far from the station, it was incredibly dated and very hot and they had a fan in the room but not anywhere else. I had to check out at 6am to make a train and the staff didn't know how to close my bill

I liked that they had a small fitness room and I got to do a workout

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Well positioned but not so good

The room was supposed to be a double, instead it was a twin with the beds next to each other. No air conditioning in the warmest city of Germany. Instead there was a very noisy fan impossible to use during the night because it was too loud.

The staff is nice and the hotel is not far from the central station and very near to the old Town

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Good location for visiting Freiburg and Europa-Park
    • Economy Double Room

Room rather small, no air conditioning with the summer heat. Parking is a nightmare nearby. We paid for parking in the street but in addition you need an "environment sticker" which is not mentioned anywhere. Coming back to your car to find a fine due to this is not very accommodating for tourists.

Clean, modern, comfortable

The location was next to the Altstadt.

The location was next to the Altstadt. From the outside the building didn't look too inviting, blending in with the surrounding apartment blocks. However, once inside, it was an amazing surprise. It was one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in. I didn't bother with breakfast as we had to get on the road early.

Position
    • Economy Double Room

Very unpolite staff! We asked information about the route to city center and about the room and the guy at the reception was extremely rude! He didn’t even say hi when went back from dinner although he for sure saw us! We asked why the window in the room didn’t open (it was really warm and with no AC so sleeping with a closed window was not good at all) and he just laughed at my face. I was really disappointed about this! The bedroom is really small and not comfortable: we were two ppl and couldn’t even move. The window, as said, didn’t open (sincerely I don’t understand why). The structure is really old and absolutely not corresponding to the pics on booking. I usually don’t like to complain and I adapt really easily but my experience at this hotel with this staff was really awful! I wouldn’t suggest anyone to go there!

Position The cleaning lady was really really nice and kind when we asked for information!

Stay here!
    • Economy Single Room

If I return to Freiburg, I definitely will stay here. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and immaculate, and the hotel had its own, very inepensive parking lot. The breakfast buffet was amazing and low-priced for what was offered. After eating salmon, prociutto, melon, croissant, and cheese, I made a sandwbich to take for lunch and took sweets for a late snack! I love this hotel!

Probably not to bad at a lower price but there's no value for money at all
    • Economy Double Room

The room was far too hot the hotel did their best by providing a small fan but for the prices the hotel charges they should have air conditioning, Far too expensive, Room doesn't match the pictures was expecting a nice double bed and ending up having two singles which I kept falling through the middle of, The bathroom floods everytime you shower

The location, Nice view of the black forest from the top floor

The room was simple but had everything I needed.

Inexplicably the bar- late night snacks was closed indefinitely- didn’t mention that Whe I checked in.

The room was simple but had everything I needed. Appreciated the open window and shades that blocked the light.

6.0
    The rooms were good

The Business Service to print out the documents cannot be done at all. All are in German and no English in everything, not user friendly.

The rooms were good

Good location. Okay for a night or two if nothing else is available

Bed really uncomfy. No AC so had to leave window open, the street was very noisy. Overall standard a little old. Renovations on the corridor.

Staff was friendly. The hotel itself was quiet. Didn’t see a lot of other guests

Had a great time 😊
    • Economy Double Room

The room was a bit small, the electricity in our room wasn't working properly (everything kept turning on and off), and our double bed was just made out of two single beds which lead to my boyfriend always falling through the crack inbetween 😅 but still we enjoyed our time 😊

It was Nice, clean, cheep and had very friendly staff.

Not what I was expecting. Too noisy and not enough privacy.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Not enough blankets, no top sheet, no blind or curtain on bathroom window, blind on bedroom window did not block any light, construction site across the street with very loud noises at dawn, room 201 right next to stairs - VERY NOISY. Housekeeper barged into room without knocking.

Large room

A nice room in Freiburg
    • Economy Double Room

Breakfast was not included in the room rate and was quite on the high side. A bottle of water from the hotel cost €5 which is way too much. Train station is not that close on foot. Every time we got up and went out early to catch an early train, the staff kept asking whether we were checking out which was quite annoying. As if I'm going to to run away and not pay!

Comfortable and clean room. Bathroom also comfortable. Clean. Overall staff were friendly.

perfect to stay in the city center
    • Comfort Double Room

Very clean hotel with a very confortable and quite room . Placed next to the city center you can count over all services that you need to stay into the center.

Some staff at the hotel was extremely unfriendly and...

Some staff at the hotel was extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. There is no way to make phone calls from rooms particularly when you have an emergency ie. lost mobile.

City centre is conveniently situated within 5 min walking...

There is only a limited amount of parking slots provided by the hotel. If it's fully booked, you need to find a place on the streets which is quite difficult. It was also very noisy according to construction works in the hotel.

City centre is conveniently situated within 5 min walking distance.

Five-minute Walk to Freiburg Weinfest was Great!

Because our reservation was for a room that was undergoing renovation and not available when we arrived, we were upgraded to a larger room and were given complimentary coupons for breakfast. That was great.

Many choices for breakfast, including fresh fruit.
    • Comfort Double Room

It was 35°C outside and no air conditioning in the rooms. I could only sleep with an open window, noises outside woke me up several times during the night.

Many choices for breakfast, including fresh fruit. Only tried the salmon once, not the best quality. Rooms were ok, staff very nice and helpful.

Best hotel for Freiburgh Weinfest stay
    • Comfort Double Room

Continental plumbing (bath room and shower and tub) much better than in UK. Much more like in US (spacious). But similar to in UK, no complete shower curtain or door. Difficult to prevent getting floor wet. This is minor.

The booking.com discount was great. Staff was excellent. Astrid at front desk very helpful with check in for additional day. Everyone spoke English.

StadtHotel - Could do better

Rooms were not as pictured, were pretty basic and a bit old and worn looking. Every part of the hotel from the lobby to the stair case, hallways and particularly the rooms were very stuffy (poor ventilation) and quite hot, even more so than outside (June 30C)! My biggest disappointment came from the room assignment. When we checked in, I noticed that the building next door was under construction. As construction noise at been an issue at other hotels I went to the desk to inquire about the construction and my concern about noise. I was coldly informed that that building was not under the control of the hotel. My concern about the next building was not realized as the workers at that building didn't start the next morning. However, some workers in Stadthotel started tearing out portions of the wall in the hallway outside our room and in the adjacent stairwell at 7:00am! The Stadthotel should not have rented rooms right next to an active remodeling location inside the hotel. There were certainly other rooms in the hotel they could have put us into; there were no other residents on our hall and few that I saw else where in this large hotel. This is particularly disappointing after expressing my concern over noise to the clerk at reception. Not a good experience.

Very near the old city center, a easy walk to get there so good location. In house restaurant seemed nice but we didn't eat there and never saw anyone else either.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Great location and good value for weekend Freiburg and Europa-Park
    • Economy Double Room

Heat: it was boiling in the room on a hot day (28 Celsius outside). No air con, only a fan. Windows: there are no blinds, only small shade on the window. Problem is with the heat if you open the windows for cool air at night and it gets light at 5.30am, it's broad daylight in the room. Or you close the windows for more obscurity but then it's too hot. Parking: parking in the street is free from 7pm to 7am. But no guarantee of finding a parking space. Then you need 9 euros cash to park during the day. Shower space was tiny.

Location is perfect for accessing the old town of Freiburg. The room was modern and clean.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Great accommodation for solo travellers
    • Economy Single Room

very comfortable and cosy room. The location is very convenient for walking to the tourist spots in the city, while being quite quiet and peaceful at night.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

High price/low value
    • Comfort Double Room

The facilities are quite old, needs some major renovation. Staff was not very responsive. The room was cold, and outside was freezing cold, so it was a major issue. There was no central unit to control temperature in the room. The bathroom heater was turned off.... On top of this the Wi-fi just did not work.

The location is very good. Very close to the old town

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Happy Stay at Stadthotel Freiburg!
    • Comfort Double Room

My stay at Stadthotel was a very comfortable and nice experience. The staff was quite responsive in replying my messages before my arrival at the hotel. Every detail on the Booking.com was met. Completely a stone throw away from the city centre. To top it off, the breakfast spread every morning was the motivation to wake up early for!

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

No No No NO
    • Economy Double Room

Parking was not on site and walking with cases and a dog is not good. First room smelt of drains second smelt of sewage. Very surprised they charge 10 euros per night for the dog - POOR SHOW

Very central

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Very nice but don't have dinner there.
    • Economy Double Room

No parking lot and the restaurant of the hotel is not very good for dinners.

The position of the hotel is few steps from the city center. the structure is pretty new and the hall is very warm and nice! Clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Excellent staff in a good location with very good rooms and food
    • Comfort Double Room

The breakfast plates were cold. Your self service warm breakfast was no longer warm by the time you got to your table.

Excellent service. Excellent staff. Good and full breakfast.

Good choice
    • Comfort Double Room

I found the price for the night, especially as they are required for the breakfast almost 15, - € too high.

Everything as you would expect in a hotel of this category.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Great Hotel!
    • Comfort Double Room

Internet speed. Both bar and restaurant are closed on Mondays and public holidays.

Room was very confortável and clean. Location, just right in the city center.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Good location just outside old town but staff could be more welcoming

Staff were not really helpful. Would only allow wifi for one device per person. Were reluctant to give us a keycard each.

Bathroom was large and had a huge bath. Good location in quieter area just outside the old town but still a short walk to everything.

It was amazing to stay with my family but the services not good while the resort was beautiful
    • Comfort Double Room

The air condition was very bad and they tried to satisfy me by getting fan to help

All the above

Car park was small, no air conditioning im the rooms.
    • Economy Double Room

Car park was small, no air conditioning im the rooms. Third floor room that was 2 hot to sleep in

Reasonable

No comment

No comment

More than satisfied
    • Economy Single Room

An electric jug. Also a light bed cover. The duver too hot for the temperature

Overall feeling of the place. Easy to be there.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Great locality
    • Economy Double Room

The fan was faulty in the extreme heat at the time.

It was conveniently located.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Very nice & friendly staff

Restaurant was closed and no airconditioning in the room

Very nice & friendly staff

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Newly renovated rooms are very nice.
    • Comfort Double Room

Entrance and reception area are quite dated.

Newly renovated rooms are very nice.

Bit Dated

Bit Dated

Easy to get to eating spots.
    • Economy Single Room

Small room in heat and fan faulty.Had to pay for hotel parking.

Location excellent.Size of room

I enjoyed the good location and the clean new room.

Lobby and reception need improvement.

The hotel was newly renovated. It is very modern and the location is fantastic.

Modern bright bedroom

Public areas look dated

Modern bright bedroom

Good location but a basic room is very basic and small.
    • Economy Double Room

Room was quite small and shower even smaller

City location

The room is hot though there's a fan provided, but we...
    • Economy Double Room

The room is hot though there's a fan provided, but we still feel hot during our sleep.

They went on and beyond to help . At the reception, they were very kind

Clean elegant room.

Located near the Town.

Located near the Town. Parking available. Confortable room. Delicious breakfast !

In walking distance to mayor attracctions

In walking distance to mayor attracctions

Nice hotel but expensive!

Bit pricey for what you got! They even wanted an extra €14 to park my bike in their courtyard!

Nice hotel!

Great staff and location

The pictures did not represent our room at all, so I was a little bit disappointed on that end.

Great staff and location

Because the ceiling not even especially night you must be...
    • Economy Double Room

Because the ceiling not even especially night you must be too careful not to hit your head

Location .
    • Comfort Double Room

Location .. very clean nice room .. they have massage service also

Great location for a short stay.

Public areas needed refurbishment.

Good location, nice bedrooms with great bathroom!

Clean.

Noise. Price.

Clean. Location

Nice weekend

The mattress and pillow could be more comfortable.

Great location in a quiet street close to city centre. Staff was very friendly.

There should be more Space around the bed.
    • Economy Double Room

There should be more Space around the bed.

I was not disappointed, the hotel was just perfect

the bed was perfect

very good

room was quite small

location, close to city centre

Nothing really stands out.

The hotelier needs to spend a couple nights....place for only 1 suitcase, no place to stage things in the bathroom.

Nothing really stands out.

most beautiful hotelbathroom so far with triangular bathub...
    • Economy Single Room

the carpet looked woren down

most beautiful hotelbathroom so far with triangular bathub and dimmed lighting

lost a nights sleep
    • Economy Double Room

The hotel is just off the main walkway in town and the drunken kids walking past and yelling till 5AM kept us from getting any sleep

the room was bit small and very warm with no aircon
    • Economy Double Room

the room was bit small and very warm with no aircon the hotel was being decorated and work started early.

the bathroom

the bathroom

I stayed on the third floor and the room was very hot.
    • Economy Double Room

I stayed on the third floor and the room was very hot. No aircondition, just a little fan. The bath tub was around 0,40 m2. I almost fit in it.

Five minutes to the center and to the park.
    • Economy Double Room

Five minutes to the center and to the park. Friendly staff, tasty breakfast

Really fantastic breakfast even by the high standards of...
    • Economy Single Room

Really fantastic breakfast even by the high standards of German hotels.

Clean and lovely location

Clean and lovely location

6.0
    poor wifi

wifi

The wifi was bad. had to step into the hallway to get reception

Big rooms.
    • Comfort Double Room

Building work still ongoing.

Big rooms.

Rooms were very hot with no air conditioning.

Rooms were very hot with no air conditioning. Bed was very uncomfortable

Location was excellent to visit points of interest.

No A/C, but that is normal in a lot of European hotels

Location was excellent to visit points of interest. Lots of restaurants close by.