Reviews of Stadthotel Schall & Rauch This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Gleimstraße 23, 10437 Berlin, Germany

#540 of 579 hotels in Berlin

6.1

The entrance to the room was little confusing and the room is small unlike it is displayed in the pictures.

The room is good for one night stay. The bed was very comfortable and WIFI was quite fast. The location of the Hotel is very good and there are bus, tram, train and metro stations near by. We paid extra money for the breakfast and it was good.

Amazing location/super close to main U Bhn U2. Friendly team and they are speaking good English. Room is very comfy and very nice interior design!

• Family Room

The TV in the master bedroom was a bit old, the TV in the other room did not have a remote control, not all light bulbs worked. It could have done with coffee/tea making facilities.

It was very spacious and my daughter had her own room.

• Standard Single Room

the man at the desk did not help at all with my suitcases..he let me carry both my cases while I was obviously struggling..it was really odd.

Practical, simple, good location

• Standard Single Room

Breakfast could have included more choices. Also, better information about when or the amount of times new/fresh towels were being placed could be improved.

The security, through token based, worked very good. Also, the WiFi connection was extremely well too.

• Family Room

Checked into a very dirty room. Complained and got changed but with a party of six we now had rooms for only 4. Double checked about a solution the next morning but nobody cared. And nobody ever got back to us. The new rooms were better but still not really clean and comfortable. Rooms do not look anything like on the pictures!Bathrooms were really yuck.

• Standard Single Room

The rooms are very small and rather basic, although equipped with all essentials.

The hotel features a very nice and relaxed restaurant. Late check in was nicely arranged by the owner. The location is in proximity to a public transport hub.

Room was not ready on arrival and was smaller than expected. Felt it was a little expensive for the room wee recived.

Location was really good and close to the transport links so form hotel it was really easy to get around.

Room was dirty (cotton pads behind bedside table), towels provided were stained. Staff entered the room without locking the door back without cleaning / redoing the beds. Unknown reason to enter the room at all! Staff was not informed about property's rule (e.g. check-out time). Place is understaffed - at the reception it took on average 15 mins waiting for someone to show up. Booking 3 months in advance for 90EUR per night and getting this type of service is outrageous!

Location, close to means of transport

• Standard Single Room

They need to get reliable internet. They use a coupon system with login and passwords that are supposed to last 24 hours, but they disconnect you after 30 min use or less. People are the help desk are unable to help with this. Not a place to combine work and leisure. They don't do your room every day. Even if you request it.

Big room, nice neighborhood.

Unfortunately, our room (16) was not clean at all. The floors were dusty, the bathroom very dirty even with some yellowish spots on the toilet, behind the room door there was some electricity outputs that were fully covered in a layer of dust. The only clean thing was the bed and the towel. Since we were on the first floor, we could always hear the door of the building slamming when it is being closed. That needs fixing too.

The staff is super friendly, the location is awesome.

1. The room needed a general cleaning - after the first night in the room my white cat turned grey and the bedding was covered in specks of dust. The bathroom was clean though. 2. Wi-fi did not work.

The localization was perfect, with cosy coffee places and restaurants around. The room was big and quiet with a nice garden view. Also the staff was very friendly and breakfast was ok.

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The bathroom needs small renovations.

The atmosphere of the room: as it was a former Berlin flat it can tell a lot of history. The room looks to the backyard, so ist is very quiet although it is in Prenzlauer Berg. The breakfast room is comfortable and with vintage atmosphere.

We stayed for five nights, but the towels were changed only once. Extra clean towels would have cost 2 or 2 and half euros each, depending on size. That just sounded stupid.

• Standard Single Room

-The bed had wheels and would roll around -cigarettes everywhere in the backyard -one of the lights were broken -couldn’t close the bathroom door -found a jacket in my room, means someone hasnt cleaned it properly -there was no 'pls dont disturb' card -when ever I tried to pay they said their System isnt working and made me come back later

Property is located in a really great area

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Didn't like the fact it was overpriced, and the fact the bathroom was down the hall away from our bedroom. We originally booked for what we thought was ensuite to find out when we got there that it was an external bathroom, thus being very uncomfortable. The staff were also very quick to give me and my partner constant dirty looks anytime they seen us.

Was close to public transport, and a really nice park, that is all...

Rooms could have been cleaner. The staircases are dark and really dated, some smell from the waste bins in the walkway (small yard), and the sight of course not the prettiest as well. But overall good experience for affordable cost.

Location adjacent to the sports hall. Close to urban train line that brings you to central Berlin hot spots. The price really competitive. Breakfast EUR 5 per person - you do not see that often elsewhere. We always felt safe in the neighborhood. Some good cafes and eating spots around the place.

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Separate bathroom, but we did know that on arrival. Bathroom was very tiny!

Really good breakfast - definitely worth the extra €5. Friendly, helpful staff and good location.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The bathroom was not clean, there was soap left from another visitor. The sheets were torn. The room was very very noisy. I didn't sleep much.

The staff is very friendly. The bed is great.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Bathroom had almost no light. Not good for putting on makeup. Shower was difficult to keep the water in. But it was ok.

Great bed! Very friendly staff. Room was also quiet, on the courtyard. Easy transport access to the main sites as well.

• Family Room

Some of the lights in our room didn't work, which made it a little dark. The door to the bathroom, likewise, wouldn't close and the shower was a little small and prone to flood. Only other downside was that we could hear our neighbors upstairs when they got up at 6. But these small things were outweighed by the good space, cleanliness and good atmosphere.

We stayed in the family room, which is actually two rooms -- a large one that sleeps 3 and a smaller one with a twin bed. Perfect for a family. It had a nice vibe and was clean. The breakfast couldn't have been better - the restaurant is cozy with a nice atmosphere with a great selection (and a great deal for 5 euros). Very close to public transport and in a very nice neighborhood with lots of stores and restaurants all around.

Cold and damp room with mold and bad air. Got ill from staying here. No cleaning the days we had the room. After 2 nights we realized that it was the air in the room that made us feel terrible in the morning. When we reported this, we were offered another room, but the trip was kind of ruined, so we decided to leave the hotel two days earlier than scheduled. Afterwards there was understanding from the manager and no economic compensation whatsoever. We paid full price for 4 nights – even though we only stayed there for 2 in a lousy room. Advice: If you decide to stay here anyway, do not prepay your stay, as they demand, when you checkin.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Family Room

It's not luxury but very decent, the family room has actually an extra room and plenty of space. We enjoyed our stay. The staff is super friendly and the breakfast is great.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Pics shown before reservation do not match with reality. Even though the hotel entrance was warm, cosy and nice, our room (No. 10 in the neighbouring building) had nothing to do with the pictures. The bathroom was outside our room, ok, but it needed to be refurnished asap because the piles were slighty yellow, the drain was blocked after 2 min having shower and it was really small, no place for two people at the same time (unless you work in Circ du Soleil). The stuffing of the pillows were not uniform, but made of "feather-balls".

Only location

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The room was thick with dust under the beds. My boyfriend has an allergy to dust and we couldn't figure out why he couldn't breathe until something dropped under the bed and then we saw that the floor was thick with dust it was disgusting. We also weren't informed until it was too late to cancel that the bathroom was external. The room was also freezing cold and the blankets were insufficient for this time of year. I've never had such an unpleasant stay anywhere in my life.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

The accomodation didn't meet my expectations. Wasn't like on the photos. When I arrived a staff member took me to a neighbouring back house ( 2 houses further away) I wasn't given any explanation to why I was not staying in the guesthouse. Probably I wouldn't have minded too much but the house my actual room was in was in very poor condition in terms of cleanness of the stair case and entrance. The handrail of the stair case was filthy and untouchable. There was no sign of the hotel at all, it seemed to be just a room in some house with many others tenants. The room itself was okay. Also, there was a price list in the room showing the price for a double room used by one person 18€ less than what I payed with booking.com. I did ask for a explanation a couple of times, but the staff said it was a old list, that they didn't know anything about a list and that the owner wasn't around. I said I would only want to give this feedback and that it wasn't very professional to not remove old price lists if true at all. After asking for someone I could talk to a few times I expected that Schall&Rauch would contact me but this didn't happen. In the overall this experience didn't satisfy me at all leaving a lot of questions open. I am not a fussy person I just found the handling not to be professional and bad customer service. It was my first time booking with booking.com and it left me with the unpleasant feeling that I payed more for this room in some random house then I would have had to according to the list on my room.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Tea & Coffee making facilities would have been good. If it was raining you had to walk along the road to reception & breakfast (continental only)

bed & pillows comfy. Good location close to trains, shops & restaurants and music venue.. Helpful staff. Good heating (Nov) Nice bathroom Breakfast ok.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

I ordered a nice room and got a hole in the wall. They moved me to a better room, but it was still not what I had picked out. The last day my car was broken into outside the hotel and the dashboard demolished. There should have been some designated parking available. It was not what it was made out to be on Booking.com and was overpriced for the quality

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The floors in our room were unbelievably loud (as in, squeaky) which isn't that big of a deal, but really sucked at 4am when one of us needed to sneak to the bathroom. I understand, however, that it's an older building. Also - we could have used a few more towels!

Our room was nice, but our bathroom was downright INCREDIBLE. I did not expect an enormous corner tub and such aesthetically pleasing features from an otherwise small, older place! The whole hotel is really well styled, and thought has been put into guests' comfort and happiness. The staff was also very friendly, and patient with my sometimes horrible German. :)

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

The bathroom was so small two people couldn't fit in it, and you had to climb over the toilet to get to the shower. The the "qeeen" bed was actually two beds pushed together that kept rolling apart. The floors creaked badly!

Close to the metro

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Old building which has been converted so rather odd having private bathroom opposite with another guest staying in adjacent room. Shower might be tricky for overweight or person with physical disabilities and didn't drain well in heavy rain. It suited me fine !

Friendly helpful laid back staff! Excellent and inexpensive breakfast. . Balcony in room was lifesaver for solo traveller who could watch the city below when tired out ! Room clean and comfortable. I would definitely go back. Good budget value.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

We found the shower gel/shampoo and tissue boxes empty when we arrived and they were not refilled during our stay. Little bit disappointing. The street was quite noisy early in the morning, too.

Convenient location, typical Berlin flat style, room had a balcony. Room and bathroom were very spacious.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

We sat down for a drink at 22.00 - the barman said we close at 23.00 and was generally miserable - unfortunately he was also serving at breakfast - we had to ask him for orange juice which wasn't on the buffet and once we asked for a 2nd time he gave me a look enough to say you cant have it - he topped everyone else's coffee up apart from ours - but we were the only non-germans there. The room looked out into a courtyard and was on the ground floor

Decent location out of the centre of Berlin. Room was OK and breakfast was just about OK

It’s quiet simplicity and comfort.

The external bathroom

The room was comfortable, the breakfast was great and the location was fabulous.

it took 2.5 days to fix a light in my bathroom although staff were apologetic

location and staff were friendly

• Standard Single Room

Super hotel. friendly staff. good wifi. good breakfast! i would definitely recommend it.

The room was a little dirty with trash an hair from the previous guest

The location was good and very close to the trainststion

More light in the room

• Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The television was an old portable one.

The bed was very comfortable.

• Standard Single Room

Tiny room, very noisy (thin walls), no space for a bedside table, no rails to hang up wet towels.

lovely staff, old charming Berlin house.

Small rooms, paper thin walls.

Location, breakfast and staff

• Standard Single Room

Blood stains on wall next to bed.

Cheap buffet breakfast with decent food quality

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

The breakfast used to be much better

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Inflexible with breakfast (starting from 8:00 only) Shaky wifi in room

Good location and nice and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Rooms are very poor like prison so I couldn't stay there for more than 1 night

Breakfast (for 5€)

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Old building, old rooms. Squeaky floor.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

It looked absolutely NOTHING like the photos. It was very "student-y" and make-shift.

The girl at the front desk was very nice and friendly. It was quiet. It felt secure.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2016

My only complaint would be the pillows really need to be changed, it was like sleeping on lots of cotton wool balls. we asked for another one which the staff happily obliged, however it was the same pillow and i ended up with a very sore neck by the end of the trip.

Staff were friendly and very helpful. Very good Aperol Spritz and freshly baked croissants :-) bed and room were very clean and had all the facilities we needed for the trip. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 28 April 2016

Public transport to city center and airport nearby. Very quiet rooms. Excellent breakfast. Friendly and helpful staff. Absolutely top. Many restaurants and bars within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 19 April 2016

The double bed consisted of two single beds pushed together - the two bed had different hights and level of softness. Not very comfortable. Also the internet was very very slow, and you had to sign up each time you had left the room - very inconvenient.

The location is excellent and the decor is lovely. The room was spacious and cozy. Breakfast was decent, but not overwhelming.

• Reviewed: 6 March 2016

It's in the middle of Prenzlauer Berg, close to S-Bahn and U-Bahn. The room is lovely with original wooden floor, spacey and very quiet. Bathroom is spotless. Wifi works well. The bistro has a marvellous ambience.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

not all the rooms are same. walls very thin, not the cleanest

friendly staff, price, location, my first room was small and had a strange toilet but they changed it asap.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2016

Internet connection in the room often did not work.

Very nice breakfast, friendly service

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

The wifi was horrible. So was the reception of all handy phones.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2015

The room is not very big and the bathroom is small as well

Great location and quite good room and pretty silent

• Reviewed: 12 November 2015

Bedroom was great, very comfortable, though I would have enjoyed a small fridge. Otherwise great.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

basic stuff, wireless to be improved not easy to find the rooms

location, big rooms, clean

• Reviewed: 7 October 2015

Good location in " the berg" .

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

Spacious apartment, balcony, everything u need around

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

Nothing that I didn't like. It was all good.

Great location, excellent staff, very helpful, Highly recommend

There are also 27 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Stadthotel Schall & Rauch traveller photo gallery