Reviews of Hôtel du Train This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Herzog-Wilhelm-Str. 23, Altstadt-Lehel, 80331 Munich, Germany

#166 of 349 hotels in Munich

• Deluxe Single Room

The soap and the gel was just for the first day. I had to buy it at the shop. The bedroom is small but It is comfortable. It

The staff at the reception is the best at this hotel. They are very nice, helper and polite. The bed and the toilette are comfortable. The hotel offers breakfast. The position is excellent. The taxi driver knew about this property.

• Deluxe Twin Room with Courtyard View

Great hotel with a quirky feel. We stayed in a room resembling a train carriage complete with bunks. The staff were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. Would definitely stay here again.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Very helpful staff. Professional, yet friendly. I would like to highlight the personalized approach of Oliver from the front desk. Very kind and service provided was of high level.

• Deluxe Double Room

No air conditioning, and had to shut the windows to sleep because sometimes there was yelling at night. There was a ceiling fan so it was OK most of the time.

Hôtel du train is in an excellent location, 5 min walking to Karlplatz and 5 more to Marienplatz. Also close to main train station. 10 min walk to hôtel du train after getting off the S-8 bahn from the airport. The rooms are clean. The staff member Steve is also very nice and helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

If you go during the weekend, be aware that there can be a lot of noise from the park oposite the hotel. there are a lot of Young kids drinking there. No much negative about the hotel, as we got more than we expected.

Very Nice rooms, a bit warm as there was no aircondition but the ceiling fan weighed up for that. Very comfortable bed, and Nice New bathroom. Staff is very helpful and help in any way they can. you feel like home when you stay here. Very Close to city center, just 5 minute walk to Karlsplatz if you come by Train from the airport. 5 minutes to Marienplatz. you have Trains in all directions from 2 U Bahn stations, both within a 5 minute walk.

• Deluxe Single Room with Courtyard View

The Cleanliness was underwhelming... there were some spots on the bathroom floor and the towel was duty... For almost 100 Euros I was definitely expecting more. Amenities should be improved as well.

The staff is really friendly, you can see they are trying to give you the best service possible. The location is totally perfect!

• Deluxe Double Room

The room certainly seemed smaller than average and the bathroom was definitely small and tight space-wise. That fitted in with the train theme but was not so practical or luxurious. Due to the good staff, location and having had no problems, the hotel was good but not exceptional value - mainly due to the small bathroom and room size and having just basic facilities. However, we expected this might be the case when looking at their website so that should be quite clear for potential guests.

The staff member who checked us in and out of the hotel was very welcoming, friendly and helpful with info about sights to see, how to travel around and restaurants. Provided us with a city map. I am sure he would have been able to answer anyone's questions. He also sold us a ticket to use the S-Bahn from the city to the airport which was almost exactly the same price as it would have otherwise been (to our limited knowledge) so that saved us having to use a machine or speak to someone at the station. Good hotel if wanting to spend a little less and especially for a shorter stay. Breakfast costs extra if desired.

• Deluxe Twin Room with Courtyard View

Lack of parking spot despite being advertised there was one. Availability only of a public parking for 20 euros per day. Buffet breakfast is only cold-cuts/croissant/yogurt, may be a little disappointing for 9.50 euros. Small rooms.

Excellent staff and location. Very cute set up (train-style)

• Deluxe Twin Room

I stayed 4 nights and I had to change 3 rooms. I was obliged to have my suitcase prepared for room change twice. Hotel Du Train had thematic, small rooms, like a train wagon, without Minibar, and no place to unpack the suitcase. The beds one over the other. I stayed one night. Fortunately I was sent to another next door hotel TANENBAUM, which had bigger normal hotel rooms. The room 312 (I stayed 2 nights) was nice with a fridge, and the personel kind enough to bring a boiler for coffee. Had only coffees for 3 cups. When I asked for more, they had only tee available. There was no more coffee in the hotel (I was told). The day before the last, I was obliged to officially check-out from room 312 at 11am. I was moved to an opposite room (310), but I was obliged to enter at 3pm!!!! And of course my staff were packed in the suitcases, waiting at the reception. There was a price difference. Hotel Du Train was 20 Euro more expensive per night. I should have been returned 60 Euro. I was given back 40 Euro and also offered a breakfast for free.

The Hotel location and the friendliness of the personel

• Deluxe Twin Room

Hotel is under renovation but didn't bother me. It's something reasonable and they informed you about it and it's for the best for all.

It was a great experience and the design reminds an old wagon. Also, the staff was very great helping me about tips from the amazing city. Very great location close to downtown and stores. Recommend.

• Deluxe Twin Room

There are still some noisy repairs going on, but the administration has warned about that beforehand. Some small details spoil the overall good impression. I really missed a small detail — a shelf in the shower — that was absent, and it was really astonishing.

A stylish train design. Good location. A large underground parking is near. A lot of good places to have breakfast around. A lot of places to dine around.

• Deluxe Single Room

Excellent location, very central but not noisy, close to the train lines also. The staff are super friendly and the hotel is well presented and clean. I recommend this hotel for a city break stay and I hope to revisit it.

• Deluxe Twin Room

I didn't have any hot water for two days and thus having cold showers was a lot fun. The staff were quite apologetic and to be fair it wasn't their fault. Still though I would go back.

It was centrally located and I thought the train decor was pretty cool.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Every evening there was a lot of noise coming from some people that gathered in a park outside the hotel

Perfect location, close to everything. Very caring staff, nice hotel concept. Also very clean.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Would have liked to have the option of a shower instead of having just a fixed rain shower. Other than that, all was fine!

Liked the theme of this hotel - train cabin themed. Room facilities were great, clean and comfortable beds and bathroom. Great reception service! Excellent location just on the perimeter of the old town which is a nice walk to the main city attractions. For those who prefer to use the metro, Sendlinger Tor stop is only 2 minutes away from the hotel. Good value for money!

• Deluxe Single Room

my door did not close properly, it would not lock. I had forgotten to ask for wifi password, would be nice to have the password written in the room somewhere instead of having to go back to reception. no phones in the rooms. TV light was shining quite bright into my eyes, couldnt be turned off.

very nice friendly welcoming staff. great breakfast. perfect location right in town, close to my destinations of interest. quiet surroundings. check in and out went quickly, received invoice right away without having to ask for it

• Suite

The manager went above and beyond in making us feel comfortable and giving us information about the area. Everyone was friendly and the location was excellent. Would definitely stay again.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Stayed in room 502,the toilet is newly renovated and the hotel is undergoing further refurbishment for the comfort of the guests.I would like to extend my gratitude towards the staff of the hotel for being so helpful and kind to me.I had a wonderful stay in Munich thanks to the hotel staff for being so accommodating!The drainage in the shower room was a bit slow however I reckon this is due to the renovation taking place in the hotel.After informing the hotel,they were quick to help and gave me extra towels for the wet floor.A+ customer service!

• Deluxe Twin Room

Very small shower compartment, no adjustment, the shower is ceiling mounted, no adjustment possible, water hits you on the head (hot or cold!). Needs changing!

• Deluxe Twin Room

Considering the price and location all was very good.

The staff were excellent and as it was our first holiday in Munich they were marvellous giving us vital tips on where to go and how to get there. The position of the hotel was also fantastic so not much walking to Marienplatz under the snow. We loved our stay there!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Maybe the breakfast should be a bit better.

Management and staff very friendly. Super central location, Very Clean. Staff super helpful Maybe the breakfast should be a bit better.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Deluxe Single Room

We need kettle and coffee facilities in the bedroom, no minibar, internet a bit slow but still ok

The bed was nice, all wood bedroom very clean and nice decor, super super friendly staff, very close to the HBF

• Deluxe Twin Room

Check in at 15:00 and check out in 10:00??? That's ruthless! Besides, ı'm pretty sure that breakfast is included but they said it's not.

Great location and perfectly clean rooms

• Deluxe Double Room

The room was a little bit dark due to the amount of mahogany on the walls. The heater was a separate device but asume that this will be replaced by ordinary heating as soon as the revovation is done. No bar att the hotel.

If you like train interiors from the 60 ties and an overall retro style this is something for you. Very nice cocktail bar neigbouring the hotel. (The hotel does not have an own bar)

• Deluxe Twin Room

Nothing to complain about. However, tea/coffee facilities in the room would make the stay even more enjoyable.

Staff very helpful Very Clean. Spotless! Very cosy room Amazing rain shower Ample storage space in the room Quiet room

• Deluxe Twin Room

The breakfast was amazing for 8 Euros. It was a typical German breakfast with a choice of meats, cheese, boiled eggs and spreads. It filled me up for the day. I also like the location of the place as I was able to access the major attractions as well as my business appointments. I also would like to add that Oliver (manager/owner?) was very welcoming and accommodating. This meant so much to me after a frazzling trip in Italy.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Breakfast is rather minimal, but it's ok.

Rooms look great, I liked the style. Very friendly staff. Great location if you are looking for restaurants, shopping, bars, ...

My Glasgow Celtic team getting beat 3-0 by an excellent FC Bayern Munchen

Staff on reception were excllent and very friendly at any time of the day or night. Hotel is very close to Kennedys irish bar at U bahn station Sendlinger Tor. Great atmosphere and clos to all amenities in Munich city centre. 5 mins from Marien platz and 10mins from Hofbrau haus etc.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Rooms where small Bunk beds Charged me for two breakfasts that we didn't have , didn't notice till I was back in Canada Expensive even though it was Oktoberfest

• Deluxe Twin Room

The breakfast was feeble, thankfully I didn't order it. Down the street is Woerners cafe and they had proper breakfast.

The hotel staff were wonderful! Our room had just been renovated and there was a teething problem with the water in the sink being the wrong way around, but they got that fixed quickly.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The hospitality of the staff was amazing! We arrived quite a few hours early for check in and thought we would just be dropping off our bags so we could explore. To our delight we were offered to have our room swapped over so we could check in on the spot! After an extremely early flight this was very much appreciated. We would definitely recommend to other travelers, as the staff were great and the location was fantastic! A short 15 min walk to the Oktoberfest grounds.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The staff were very helpful. I arrived early for check in and they helped by moving my booking around to allow me an early check in! Close to Munich centre. Would definitely recommend!

• Deluxe Twin Room

Aircon machine kept switching on and off when heating got to the right temperature - it was noisy when it clicked on and kept waking me up.

Cool rooms in shape of a train carriage. Newly renovated bathrooms. Very friendly from desk staff. Better overall than I had expected.

• Deluxe Double Room

It would be nice to have a shower caddie to hold the toiletries as well as more mirrors in place. (there was only one in their small bathroom) The room space is small for the price.

Its an okay hotel. Very quiet.

• Deluxe Double Room

We liked everything here.

We liked everything at this hotel. Steve from Florida at Reception gave us a warm welcome and lots of knowledgeable tips and advice to ensure we could fit in all the Munich highlights in our short stay, plus location and travel suggestions that made everything go well.

• Deluxe Double Room

The reception made a mistake and took the price twice. They canceled it immeditaly and made a favor by upgrading our room. So kind.. And one should also try the breakfast. It was good and cheap.

• Deluxe Double Room

Expensive. There was no fridge or kettle in the room, although I was told other rooms had a fridge. So luxary price not justified considering that the hotel was undergoing refurbishment and breakfast wasn't provided within the premises the first two days of my stay.

Its location in a quiet street, just 15 mins from the main square. Staff very friendly and helpful, specially Bettina.

• Deluxe Twin Room

the windows do not have adequate curtains to block the sunlight and you can hear all the sound of the streets, even with the windows locked.

The Hotel is new

• Deluxe Single Room

Still some renovations going on but on a lower floor. Train type panelling might not suit all tastes.

Staff very helpful and welcoming. Brilliant location with shops, cafes, train and tram all a minute or so away but a quiet street.

• Deluxe Twin Room

I know this hotel is listed as in the Altstad, but it doesn't seem like it. 7 or 8 minute walk to Karlstadt training station, but the street the hotel is on is very unattractive. I have a few major disappointments with this hotel, even though I enjoyed my time here. While I was here, this hotel was a major construction zone. Massive improvements ongoing. Big trash dumpsters on the street. This really should have been listed in their hotel description. This is unfair for a guest to arrive and find this out themselves. Should have been some sort of disclaimer like other hotels provide. Breakfast room was being built, but was not available. A few safety deficiencies I noticed. In the hotel room itself, there was no phone, so If someone had an emergency, they had no way of notifying the front desk. There is no evacuation route posted on the back of the door like all other hotels have, and the main staircase near the elevator was blocked by the construction people working on the upgrades. This would have been a major issue whether I stayed or not, but there is an emergency escape just outside the window. Now, onto the bathroom. This bathroom is very new and appears to be a nicely constructed bathroom with high end amenities. But, on the sink, there is no shelves and no room anywhere to store toiletries. The shower is not functional either because there is no shelf so shampoo, soap and anything else, has to be stored on the floor. I also didn't like the rain forest type shower head, but that's just my personal preference.

I really enjoyed my stay here, but please see my other comments about where things could have been better. Very unique hotel, and it actually looks like you are on a train. Hallways are painted very nicely, and the room itself is also decorated very nicely, and quite enough space. I had a two person "bunk" room, and was very comfortable with a large window that opened. Bathroom was brand new, but their were some issues I had, that will be listed in detail.

• Deluxe Double Room

the hotel is in renovation, with workers ,painting ... just the 4 th floor operational, rooms are news that the only good point, but bathroom are very small, street noisy with drunk people in the garden in front the hotel, no breakfast,

• Deluxe Single Room

I know this doesn't exist in most Munich hotels but having no ac was really hard for a stay in July

Breakfast was really good with lots of varieties, staff was super friendly and even though there were renovations in the hotel during my stay, I had a pleasant stay.

• Deluxe Twin Room

We had a room with bunk beds. They were comfortable, but we should have been told at check-in. We didn't have time to go back to ask for a room with double bed because we were already late for a meeting. The rain shower is great, but it would be nice to have a shower cap provided.

Very frienly staff, clean, had all that was needed. Would definitely stay there again.

• Deluxe Single Room

There was lots of construction happening at the hotel when I was there. However, the staff was very apologetic and added a free breakfast for the inconvenience.

Room was newly remodeled

• Deluxe Twin Room

Hotel under construction, in my room there was not curtain and wifi signal was so weak due to it be the last room of corridor.

Staff, localization, bed.

• Deluxe Twin Room

the shower in my room is too narrow!

Lovely and very friendly staff! great location! acceccable almost to everywhere in munich! i would love to stay in this property again if i visit munich!

• Deluxe Twin Room

The rooms could be warm at night. Opening the windows worked but due to the park across the street, it could be noisy. So it was either leave the windows closed and be a little warm or leave the windows open and put up with the noise.

The staff and in particular Oliver was outstanding. They were very helpful in helping us to locate attractions in and outside of Munich. They were extremely friendly.

• Deluxe Double Room

There were a few issues. First was the lack of A/C and it being very hot in Munich during the time of my stay. Also, when I took my first shower, the floor flooded. To their credit, the staff, lead by Oliver were able to provide a fan and to resolve the plumbing issue quickly.

The staff. Oliver is a very experienced manager, he is building a very good team, as this hotel is going through a bit of a renovation. That staff is very helpful and they do focus on customer service.

• Deluxe Single Room

I would have liked a phone in the room and a refrigerator.

The hotel was clean and tidy. Oliver was the best host there. He was helpful and apologetic when needed.

Amenities are scarce.other than that all are perfect.

Location.quietness.staff friendliness.

• Suite

Pillows were pretty flat, but other than that the place was amazing!

Great location! Friendly, helpful staff! Amazing value!

• Deluxe Single Room

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the location is perfect.

Outside the property noisy

• Deluxe Twin Room

Expensive, the elevetor too small

Staffs

• Deluxe Single Room

Train wagon theme of the hotel and room. Very quiet at night. Super clean.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The location was excellent. And the staff where very helpful.

Fabulous place. Second stay (2017 first time

• Deluxe Double Room

Oliver was an amazing host and gave a lot of great information for our stay!

Tea/coffee facilities and/or refridgerator

Very clean

Shower leaked

• Deluxe Twin Room

Loved the welcome, and the theme is just great. Very warm welcome from reception

Perfect location

• Deluxe Double Room

Very small room and bathroom, no parking, 20 euros was the parking nearby, 3 hours without electricity (and heat) in winter time.

No eggs for breakfast

Very helpful and friendly staff Great location Homely room

• Deluxe Twin Room

Great location and super friendly and helpful stuff. Unique style is cherry on the top)

• Deluxe Double Room

Small shower (almost impossible not to get the hair wet)

Great location, close to touristic places

Could be cheaper

Room confort and hotel location, we even got a free upgrade to the suite.

• Deluxe Double Room

Munich has its price, but with the location, charm and cleaning, this was a awesome hotel.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Heating system: not efficient and very laud

• Deluxe Twin Room

The heating in my room did not seem to work

Great hotel in a central location, good breakfast and nice retro rooms

• Deluxe Twin Room

Size of the sink, the breakfast!!!

The layout of the room, the staff, location

• Deluxe Double Room

For the price of the paid breakfast, I expected a little more.

Great selection of drinks for the breakfast

• Deluxe Twin Room

The hospitality of the stuff, they were really very helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

Didnt see any sign of the train theme in the annexe i stayed in

• Deluxe Twin Room

Very close to the Ubahn, then straight to the Messe!

Browse Hôtel du Train traveller photo gallery