Reviews of The Dubliner Hotel & Irish Pub

Hauptstr. 93, Altstadt, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany

#10 of 14 B&Bs and Inns in Heidelberg

Given that the establishment is primarily an Irish Pub, there wasn't really a reception. When I checked in, I had to wait for the bartender to finish with customers before he could check me in (this was a bit of a problem since I was in a bit of a hurry). The doors locked, but there was always a small crack that was open, so you heard everything that happened in the hallway. This was especially a problem the first night of my stay when several people came back late at night and one fell asleep in front of my door. If you want breakfast, you have to let them know by 9pm the day before. This was only communicated on the information sheet in the room itself.

The room was clean and on the third floor with windows that blocked out any sound from the street below. It had every basic need for a hotel room and was directly in the old city on the Hauptstraße.

The fridge in the room was a nice bonus. Staff was very kind and our room was ready for an early check-in. Great pub downstairs with live music the night we were there, perfect stop for a Guinness after walking all day.

Nice room/bathroom. Clean and comfortable. The location is amazing, in the heart of the city. The pub is cool and the food was really good. We would definitely stay here again.

The shower appeared to have mold on it, though everything else seemed clean. Parking was not ideal but manageable.

Comfortable bed. The hotel is above their great bar which was fairly cheap. It was quiet for being located above bar. Great location being on the main street.

• Classic Double Room with City View

It can be very noisy cause of the music from the pub until late night.

Hotel is in city center in the pedestrian zone, but easy to find. Very comfortable big bed, friendly staff and great pub for dinner or just a beer!

the quality of the bed... too many had sleapt in it before...:) For those who need an elevator - there isn`t one. For me it was no problem as I was looking for the ancient spirit of this university town and proximity to Philosophersweg.

The location!!! Just in the middle of downtown. The view from the room window ( upper floor). Very romantic. Everything was calm and silent although there is an Irish pub on the ground floor.

I suppose the only real complaint I can think of is that the stairs leading up to the apartment aren't well lit in a few spots and can be tricky to navigate at night.

We've now stayed here during both of our visits to Heidelberg and I can't say enough about the friendly staff who work here. The apartments enjoy their own entrance next to the pub and provide a very convenient and reasonable place to stay whilst visiting the city. And as an added bonus, those who stay in the hotel receive a discount in the pub where you'll find surprisingly good food and properly poured pints of Guinness.

The one bad point, but it's a big one after a late night. THE clock on the building opposite chimes every quarter of the hour, form 6am. Not good.

Great location,friendly staff with great atmosphere.

Parking was available nearby: go to P8, that will leave you 250m from the front door and is very affordable at €17,50 per 24hrs. No lift available, but the staircase is wide so wasn't an issue.

Location is absolutely amazing. Rooms are quiet (did not hear anything despite live music in the pub), beds are soft and comfortable. Room is small but very adequate.

• Suite

Only drawback - no elevator - 70 steps up to the top floor.

We were in Room 8 at the top which was a double size room with small balcony from which the view was excellent. Dinner at the Dubliner Pub was excellent too.

The only drawback for some would be the stairs. I was on the top floor but didn't mind the exercise😊

It was in a great location. I took the bus from the train station to Bismarck Platz and then walked along Hauptstrasse to the hotel. From the hotel everything is an easy walk. Very nice safe feel to the area.

No elevator, will be quite difficult for people with heavy luggage.

The room is warm and the bed is comfy! Located in the old town center, great spot of you tend to spend much time around there! They allow me an early check in to the room, this helps me a lot!

Room was small and the view is over the inner courtyard/rooftops. Not scenic but much quieter than anticipated since it is over the pub. They actually closed the courtyard area at 10 pm. We could hear the neighboring courtyard into the early morning but it was not bad.

The bed was soft and very comfortable. It was also a standard double rather than two twins pushed together to make a king.

The corridor smells of fried potatoes (but still the room was ok) and the bed was not too comfortable

The position is super central and the pub is really Irish style. Although the central position, the room was very silent.

Room was very small, also as the roof caved inwards felt very claustrophobic and half of the room not possible to use due to ceiling height.

Could not hear any noise from the pub

• Classic Double Room with City View

We knew that the rooms were over the Pub and anticipated the noise. It didn't bother us too much, but be sure you are ok with a late night if you choose The Dubliner on a weekend.

The location of The Dubliner was perfect. It is right in the middle of the old town shopping district. Everything was within walking distance. The room was nice, clean, and looked like it had been recently updated. We also had a city view which was great for people watching.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Suite

To many steps to climb to your room

Great rooms small shower no wash rags but Germany is noted for no wash cloths. No big deal very helpful staff. No parking on site off site and carry your bags isn't a big deal. I'm

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

There was nothing that could have been better everything's perfect

We got there very early we called the manager who let us in check in wasn't until 3 so he stored our luggage for us and cleaned our room first and got us in by 12:30

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Price could be less. They said after checkout you can leave your luggage but pub was closed in the morning and we couldn't find anyone to leave bags.

Location is great. It is close to everywhere. Bed and bathroom are ok. It is good to have a pub under your room, you can always hangout there. Check in time is a little late for me (3.00pm) but we arrived about 1.00pm and they let us in to room.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The wifi signal in the room was low, but still possible to use.

The location is very good. Our apartment had a very nice small balcony and pretty view of the main street. The room was clean and spacious, bathroom is also clean and new. You get a discount in Irish pub, but you should not forget to remind about it before getting the receipt.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Suite

there is nothing I didn't like

The bed was lovely and the view from our little Julliette balcony was superb, A big room with all the facilities we could wish for. A very good place to stay in Heidleburg ,Step out the front door into the cobbled shopping streets , but when in our room it was quiet and relaxing best of both worlds, we would love to stay there again

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

Radiators were turned off which we only realised upon moving out. Rooms were cold no spare blankets or pillows. Bar underneath was very loud which they warn about but the streets were even louder with people screaming and shouting till early hours of the morning.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The pillow was quite loose, only 1 heating by the window so it was a little bit cold.

Great location, located inside the old town. The room was huge, bed was a decent good double. Wifi is good. Staff was nice, luggage storage possible.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Classic Double Room with City View

This is not a hotel. It is a hostel. When booking through Booking.com, the page states that oen of the included amenities is parking. Make sure you check the fine print at the bottom that says you have tp ark in a public car park. I would not call that an "amenity" of the hotel, because it's nothing to do with the hotel! We checked in (in the pub at the bar) at 6pm on a Sunday evening. It took ten minutes to catch the bartenders attention, as he was trying to change the channel on the big screens for the rugby match which was starting shortly. Eventually he saw me, and told me I'd need to wait a few minutes as he has to serve all the customers first, as they were there to watch the game. The queue at the bar was four people deep. Perhaps he could have offered us a drink while we wait, but no, we had to stand there for 15 minutes with our suitcases while he prepared drinks and fiddled with the screens. Duvets in the room are paper thin, and the only hot drink facilities are provided in the form of paper cups with a ready-mix sachet of coffee/milk. The ceiling above the shower was black with mildew. Would not stay here again, and certainly not for £80.00.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Well, it is above a pub (although not directly), and in the evening let's just say that it not absolutely quiet. Still, nothing unbearable!

Great location. Very clean and tidy, all furniture in good condition.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Entrance to rooms along a corridor and up 3 flights of stone steep steps, not well lit. Ok for us but not good for anyone with walking difficulties, not mentioned in booking information.

Excellent location,comfortable and spotlessly clean room, and 10% Off if you ate and drank at the Dubliner. Friendly staff. Room had a hairdryer and kettle, only coffee provided though.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Classic Double Room with City View

Loud and drunk people keeping you awake until 4am. Best day is Sunday as everything closed so nobody drunk yelling and screaming. If you want to party, then you're at the perfect spot! But to relax, stay away!!!

clean and central location

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

I arrived 11:20, hotel door was lock, met a waitress open the door for me, staff said 12 check in, but when I back to hotel at 12, hotel keeper told me check in time was 15:00, so I waited until after 15:00 had a room to rest.

hotel is in old city center.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

They run a pub downstairs, so the "reception" is the bar of the pub. That means that it is closed until 12 a.m and that you have to fight with the bar clients to talk with the waiters for whatever that you need in your room. Next time I will choose a hotel when I need a room, and a bar if I want a drink, but I did not like the mixture of both of them in a single one. I did the booking via this web page and at the time of arrival they did not find my reservation. Anyway, the room was available so I paid at that moment the two nights. Next morning when I came back from breakfast, at 11:30, I found my suitcase open and all my belongings on the floor of the corridor because they did a mistake and at the computer it was written that I was staying only 1 night instead of 2 so, I should have left the room empty by 11 a.m. I can not understand that they let my computer and the suitcase on the floor of the corridor instead of charging me another night if they thought that I was leaving that very morning instead of the next one. That was not profesional neither normal. The staff tried to be polite, but the mixture of hotel and bar was just not working.

The room was clean and it was nice. The shower, the TV, the toilet, everything was fine. There was some noise coming from the air conditioned in the bar until 01:00h or so, but not so much.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Suite

No elevator!!!! Not unusual in Old Town though, but the stairs are a killer!

The location was perfect. Church bells, in the middle of everything. Lively pub, but not too loud.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Suite

No breakfast provided. Housekeeping did not provide tea and I had to ask both days for tea bags and milk from the staff in the pub. The pub staff are not the hotel staff in fact there didn't seem to be any hotel staff. Room was on the top floor and there are no lifts

The staff were very friendly and helpful. It is in a great location and we had a very small balcony which provided a fabulous view. 10% discount on food and drink from the pub. Great food and atmosphere. The pub staff ordered us a taxi for the morning.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

There's no designated luggage storage area, so items left in their care is really at your own discretion. Before check in, my bag was left in the pub. Upon check out its to be left at the bottom of the stairwell. Guests check inside the pub and that's why check in time is set after their lunch rush hour. There's no typical hotel desk, think waaay back in history when people stayed above pubs. The wifi connection is intermittent in the room. I was on top floor single room #5. Not much of a view but it helped there's a window in the room and the bathroom since it was +33C that day. The shower head holder is broken so no hands free showers. The room is as shown in their photos plain and simple. I was fine with that. Just need a place to rest my body after lots of walking. It can be loud depending on which night you stay. It is a pub downstairs. My one night stay was to be uneventful. Unfortunately, on 2 separate occasions the cleaning staff were extremely rude to me for no good reason. When I first arrived, it was 8am. I called as all doors are locked. Luckily one guy answered and let me leave my bag there until the room is ready. I asked to use the pub's washroom to brush my teeth. When the staff saw me downstairs. She got mad at me, yelled at me and told me this is not for dorm use. I explained to her that I just arrived and needed the facilities in German and in English. She was not happy with me. Dirty looks and all. Day of my check out, knowing check out time is 11am. I went out early to enjoy a walk on the philosopher's way. Only to come back seeing 2 cleaning staff standing in my hallway glaring at me after I greeted them in German. The woman taps her wrist to remind me of the time. It was 10am. I told them I just have to pack, in German. She starts saying more things in a rude tone of voice in a different language that's not German or English. The man follows up and grunts at me and tells me that I am to check out.

It's located on the main street in the old city, so full marks for location. But there's many other places to choose from. The one man who answered my call at 8am and opened the door to let me leave my bag was kind and professional. The place is presentable.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

The rooms were very small and limited for it's own outlets such as fan, fridge, tv. I couldn't plug them all in at same time.

The location, cleanliness, and pub atmosphere. Most of the staff were great.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Suite

It is in an old building so there isn't an elevator. Be prepared for some steps.

Location, location, location! The Dubliner is right in the middle of everything. Ellie was super helpful and nice. She made check- in a breeze and had great recommendations for eating. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

If you come by car you have to park the car in the underground parking, few hundreds m away and will cost you average 20 eur/night. If you arrive before 13.00 hours you can't contact the reception (until the bar in the pub will open).

On the main street of historical city center, where you can feel the life of the city. You get 10% discounts to the order in the pub.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

Good price for the hotel located in the heart of Heidelberg. I expected it to be loud as it is located above the pub, but it wasn't. In the room are little kettle and little fridge in case you buy smth to eat. There were also paper cups and few sachets of instant coffee.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Classic Double Room with City View

There's simply nothing I can think of...

I am a repeat customer and must say I just love the Dubliner. It is my favorite pub in Heidelberg and as such I love staying there. The staff is so friendly, everyone working the bar is easy-going and ready for a quick chat. You feel right at home and the location helps of course as well! You have free wifi, a coffeemaker in your room for the first coffee of the day, and 10% on food/drinks in the pub help during the day as well. It's may favorite place to catch up on all Rugby matches and you are just a short stroll away from all public transport or the most important sights. The rooms are clean and have everything you need.

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

• Suite

Excellent location, amazing "fabulous" room, clean, comfortable, cozy. But the view from the window, you can pay a lot ... In addition, for a reasonable price!

Stayed in May 2016

the location is excellent

Check out by 11 but can only store the bags at the bar when it opens at 12.

The place is clean

Check-in was awkward as you have to talk to the man behind the bar who could have been nicer and the facilities were very basic.

Excellent location

Too many stairs to upper floor with no lift

Pub good atmosphere , food good for the price

The room has a heating system that didn’t work properly The room was not so clean.

Excellent location to go around the historical center of the city

Nothing, the place is fecking class

Niall the owner is a legend, the choice of sports on TV is excellent, great venue.

Lots of mold in shower

Location is great

Loved the vibe

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

two flight of stairs to our room

Nice pub with rooms in the centre of Heidelberg, good craic, surprisingly comfy rooms, good breakfast, friendly staff

- very friendly welcoming - Comfortable bed - quiet room - perfect located

The bed was really comfortable. The location was perfect. The Dubliner pub downstairs was great.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

Location is very central and easy to walk to places from. The food at the Dubliner is very good, too!

No AC in room. Right across from the town clock which wakes you up every morning.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Everything was perfect ,if ı come again I wıll certainly stay here.

Excellent location

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

It is a room over a pub so no hotel facilities, only staffed when bar is open . (Despite this it was not noisy )

Great location room was comfortable.

Perfect location, right in heart of old town.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Classic Double Room with City View

No breakfast available, although there were plenty of other places to get some nearby

Really friendly staff, top location

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Very expensive for whats on offer, Not the warmest of welcomings when you enter the pub to check in

A simple hotel with a great location.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

The bed was really comfortable! 😊

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

The hotel is right in the middle of the old town square. It was easy to get to by the bus and the staff are super nice! Would definitely return.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Very weak internet signal

Location, pub is great

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

No parking, small room, towels could be improved

Very good position, in the heart of the old city, nice pub on the ground floor, comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

all good

The only thing was the paper-thin walls of the room I was in.

The bar is great, and the staff were very friendly! Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

Right in the middle of the key tourist district.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Small en-suite

Decent size room, location was spot on

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

We were not told it was in a car restricted area only that there was no parking so very difficult to find and off load the bags

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

Very basic room. Two floors up with no lift.

Bed comfort. Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

The Pittsburg Steelers banner hanging on the wall. GO GREEN BAY!

Genuine Irish Pub with a friendly staff. The food was excellent and great location. Best place to take in some sports during the week, yes, it is going to be soccer or rugby. The balcony room view is amazing.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2016

Internet wasn't working until we complained seriously and the manager got it working on our second day.

Ellie was very welcoming. Gave us a quiet room, extra pillows.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2016

The mattress was way too soft.

The room was simply but nicely furnished. Bed and bath linen were clean. We also liked the wide variety of food served in the pub.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2016

they hurried to clean the room the last day and when i returned to the room at 10am i found my stuffs on the hallway.

good Wifi connection. clean room. location!

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

Rushed us to check out. Had to walk down 4 flights of stairs, out onto the road and back into the put via separate entrance if we needed anything from them. Had to be out of the room by 11 but the pub didn't open until 12 for breakfast. Showed no English football despite 4/5 different TV's showing the same German games. Wifi terrible.

Good location, was clean and fairly cheap.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2016

Everything else, it is a rooming house not a hotel, the meagre linens are replaced every 3 days, there is nothing good about the hotel, besides location.

There are also 37 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.