Reviews of The Westin Grand Berlin 5 stars

Friedrichstr. 158-164, Mitte, 10117 Berlin, Germany

#93 of 579 hotels in Berlin

• Deluxe Double Room

My room was a long way from lift. Just a half shower glass curtain so toilet can be flooded after a shower. No doorman at front door when I arrived in taxi with all my luggage.

Close to a major shopping street and historical square. Comfortable bed and pillow. Aircon working well. Business centre can lend you an adaptor for British plugs.

• Deluxe Double Room

A tad expensive. Sauna not included. Breakfast very expensive at 32 Euro PP.

Size of the rooms, complementary coffee, great interior, friendly staff, good location, comfortable beds.

• Deluxe Double Room

Lack of service at breakfast & no tables available. Having to hang around trying to grab a table as it became free. At €32 per person for breakfast the least we expected was to be shown to a table.

Amazingly comfortable beds

• Deluxe Double Room

Noise in the room and wrong reception service. Room was located in the 2nd floor over the supply receiving gate thus too much noise was in the early morning and late night when truck arrive, park, upload food and hotel supplies. I have arrived 1 days before business trip dates and stay 3 nights per business after it. There were two reservations. reception reserve amount for whole stay from personal credit card without asking ((

• Deluxe Double Room

Location was fantastic, within easy walking distance of check point Charlie, brandenburg gate and museum island. Hotel was high standard and staff competent and polite. Rooms were decent sized and clean.

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

They requested my credit card via email and when I refused to give it because email is insecure they canceled my reservation - one day before my arrival! Eventually I was able to reserve again via booking.com but I lost my company discount :(

facilities are great

• Deluxe Double Room

Restaurant was overpriced, but local options available, close by.

One of the best breakfast buffets I've been too. Property neat and clean. Staff was excellent. Housekeeping met all are needs. Room had excellent bathrooom fixtures. Bed was "heavenly".

• Deluxe Double Room

Only downside was some black mould at the end of the bath.this a pet hat of mine and is so simple to cure with a spray.

Beautiful hotel in good central location near Unter den Linden.very helpful and friendly staff.

Nothing much

This hotel is centrally located, so the central area of the city is within walking distance. It is indeed a grand hotel with comfortable spacious clean rooms, although I found clothes storage facilities a bit lacking. Breakfast is excellent and there are plenty of restaurants close by. Staff are very helpful and speak English. I stayed five nights and would be happy to return.

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

There is a big difference between the Hotel photos and how it actually looks in realty. In realty it's very old style Hotel, antique furniture etc.. As for shopping, i would choose different location. It's located on main shopping street but it's more luxury street, prices are very expensive comparing to other shopping streets/center. In addition, the're nothing interesting to see as a tourist on this location comparing to other city centers.

Breakfast is great. Location to major tourists sites & subway is great. Pretty quite. Great service.

• Deluxe Double Room

A couple of the staff were a bit off, my wife thought it was because we were British.

Breakfast was superb. Hotel very tasteful. Staff helpful. Centrally located. Armenia guy serving at breakfast was super.

As above

The issue is that there is effectively NO restaurant in the hotel which is highly unusual for a 5 star hotel. There is an outdoor and lobby cafe, a mezzanine informal area for breakfast dining (breakfast is expensive) but no regular hotel restaurant. A hotel such as this should have at least one more dining option.

• Deluxe Double Room

Water in the pool in the spa area was chilly. Breakfast was very expensive. We ate outside the hotel.

Location was great, beside the U Bahn, 3 minute walk to buses on Unter Den Linden. 7 minute walk to the S Bahn station. Bed was really comfortable. All the staff were very helpful. Spa area was very nice to relax after a day's sightseeing.

• Deluxe Double Room

Pool was a bit cold in the spa. Food was really expensive in the hotel which was a shame

Good location- close to the historical sites all within walking distance. Staff were lovely.

• Deluxe Double Room

Non-German (I am also non German) waiters at breakfast caused chaos across all the clients. It was so bad everyone near us was commenting upon the poor service. Apart from this, the service and stay was superb

Hotel well located. Room clean and spacious

• Deluxe Double Room

It felt a bit tired, the rooms, whilst clean and comfy could do with being updated Rear garden, though beautiful, had no service in the afternoon

Hotel was very nice and a great location Staff were very friendly and accommodating

• Deluxe Double Room

Ridiculously expensive amenities They charged twice and didn't refund, had to sort it out later Rooms are regular, no 5-star feel at all. Not worth its money Slow reception (always lines)

Good location at the very center of the city Large luxuriously looking hall

• Deluxe Double Room

Payments - a bit strange practice - amount for the staying was debited twice with different sums, but reserved sum hung up for more than a couple days

Perfect location, good breakfast

• Deluxe Double Room

Location of the hotel, ease of access to the city attractions, staff were very helpful, rooms were very good and maintained to a high standard, Location of room was very quite with no noise disturbance from other quests or external noise

The air conditioning needs improving, it was ok during my stay because it was April but I’m sure the room won’t be cool enough during hot summer days The bedding needs an upgrade, the mattress was hard and the bedding fabric were a bit rough

The location was perfect Staff were sweet and helpful Room service was fast Room was spacious and quite

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

House keeping standard was inconsistent. There was a day when the room was not made up despite us being our touring the entire day. And the standard 1 bottle water replenishment was also inconsistent throughout our 7 day stay. Perhaps they were busy with various conferences but we were left a little underwhelmed.

Location was great for accessibility and visiting the various museums and historical sites.

• Deluxe Double Room

Everything was overpriced I think 10 euros for a bottle of water is too much. The wine was pricey for the type and quality and food was overpriced.

Nice clean hotel

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

I booked for the double room , but they gave me the twin one and said their information was twin then I showed my booking information in my IPhone. But useless they said now no double room availability.

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

Staff is a pot luck as to how they treat you. Some were professional, others were absolutely downright rude (not German mannerisms rude, just plain rude). I nearly ended up paying for someone else's breakfast due to shoddy keeping of their records and then they tried to charge me city tax which is inclusive as part of booking.com. At each point they made me feel like I was a liar, even though I had evidence to the opposite. The rooms were roasting hot and although they advertise air conditioning it doesn't really achieve anything. The beds were far too soft and uncomfortable and they had a plastic sheet on them(!) which meant overnight you were cooked in the heat.

Location is absolutely fantastic, brilliant base for exploring Berlin and next to some of the best shopping experiences in Berlin. The twin rooms are a good size for two people and the bath is wonderfully deep and perfect for soaking in.

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

The pool smelt bad. The room was too hot all the time, and ages away from the front entrance. Didn't feel like this was value for money.

Location is good.

• Deluxe Double Room

The bath towels in the hotel were a joke for a 5 star hotel. So small and not particularly good quality. We experienced similar in another SPG 5 star property, so it's probably a group policy. It needs to change. There was a small amount of black mould around the bathtub. Not good for 5 star hotel The price of breakfast at hotel was extortionate, even for a 5 star property, so we didn't bother. Lots of very good cafes near hotel that did breakfast. The Volkswagen Drive cafe across the street was excellent

The location was excellent. Great hotel for visiting all the main sites. Check in staff were pleasant. However, we asked concierge a question regarding hopon hopoff tour bus and the time it would take to get between stops. The information he gave us was more than 50% wrong. The bed was very comfortable. The lounge area was very nice The pool was nice although the spa locker room was a bit basic

• Deluxe Double Room

The menu was a bit unusual. Not a typical restaurant menu - hard to discribe, called Relish, seems to be a new style of dishes.

The food was very nice.

• Deluxe Double Room

Could have done with a couple more coffees in the room.

The hotel lobby was beautiful and was everything I expected and more, service was great would definitely stay again.

• Deluxe Double Room

Check in is so slow that I would be very sad if I just arrived from a long flight. A hotel such as this should be more efficient. The cleaning staff was in my room when I returned and the body oder of the cleaning person was so bad that the entire room was filled with a foul smell. The beds are extremely hard as well.

The location of this hotel is very good and is a luxury hotel.

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast staff weren’t always in a good mood. If we came for breakfast around 10:00, we got the feeling of being rushed.

Excellent breakfast. There was plenty of choices for a range of needs.

• Deluxe Double Room

Room was on second floor but there was no stairs only lift access which would concern us in the event of a fire. Both ourselves and another family got locked out on first floor garden as the door was self locking. Had to call reception to come and get us. Thankfully I had my phone with me.

It was our anniversary and they had a bottle of champagne and strawberries in our room. Breakfast buffet wad excellent. Bed and room very comfortable. Spa area and pool very nice. Very central location walking distance from all interesting sights.

• Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was the best stocked continental breakfast I have ever seen but on a negative-it was very expensive.

The location was excellent, within walking distance of so many places. The attention to detail at the hotel was great and they really looked after my 8 yr old daughter. The rooms were so quite and the beds were ridiculously comfortable. The indoor pool was just the thing after a day's sightseeing. Even had spa facilities.

• Deluxe Double Room

Location of the hotel is perfectly central. Staff of the hotel was really attentive and friendly- whatever question we had, they were able to help. Breakfast was really good- lot of choices for everyone!

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

Staff could have been a little more friendly and welcoming. The rooms were extremely comfortable but a little hot.

Fabulously located, stunning building, VERY comfortable bed. Breakfast was excellent.

• Deluxe Double Room

The beds were too soft for our taste. Also, it was very uncomfortable not to have the A/C on. Our room was very warm, too warm for us to be comfortable.

• Deluxe Double Room

Excellent hotel right in the center of Berlin in easy walking distance of major sights and places of interest and a metro station at the door. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the facilities were first class. The only complaint was the breakfast price at 32 euros which we didn't use as we only like a croissant and coffee for breakfast. all things considered a first class hotel to stay in Berlin.

• Deluxe Double Room

Small bar & staff very busy so took a while to be served & a bit rude at times. Breakfast too expensive.

Beautiful hotel, very clean & most staff very friendly!! Nice toiletries in bathroom. Quite expensive however for breakfast & beer at the bar, better to go out for these. Concierge & reception helpful with recommendations.

• Deluxe Double Room

I didn't like having to pay for the sauna and don't see why it was charged. I didn't like the atmosphere in the leisure centre, and this is separate from the fact that I had to pay for the sauna.

The breakfast was the best I have ever had, in range and quality. The location is the best in Berlin; the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful.

This is a fantastic hotel. The staff are extremely nice and helpful especially the concierge. The rooms and bathrooms were spotless and regularly cleaned. There is a lovely comfortable atmosphere in the hotel. I will definitely return.

• Deluxe Double Room

Information about the pool wasn't clear. We didn't discover we had free use of it until the third night of our stay. We would have loved to have used it from the first day!

Extra service in the room was excellent, I requested extra earl grey and found it waiting for me that night as well as a sewing kit

• Deluxe Double Room

As we were on vacation, we wished to leave the room daily, at our convenience. We felt pressurized to leave early, to allow the staff complete room cleaning. On the night of the opera, we could not get a sitting for an early meal. A bit of a disappointment.

Beds are great! Pool is beautifully, serene. Location is perfect if you wish to see Berlin in all directions: north, south east and west. Proximate to all public transport enabled a lot of variation on our itinerary. Directly beside an opera house, super.

Way too expensive and not worth it. Room wasn’t ready upon check in. Pool not heated as advertised. Valet damaged our car.

Walking distance to big sights, but not near good food. Comfortable bed. Big Rooms. Sound proof windows.

• Deluxe Double Room

I would like to comment that in my room 201 when it is raining there is a strong noise due to rain drops falling on a metal roof- only when it rains. i am sure you heard about that from other guests and i recommend that you pay attention to it. anyway i plan to pick up this hotel again on my next stay in Berlin.

extra comfort bedding

• Deluxe Double Room

The concierge service was not as helpful as expected but nothing out of the ordinary just compared to some other hotels we stayed

The staff were very helpful and the food was good, the breakfasy better than the other westin hotels in the rest of the trip

• Deluxe Double Room

As there was only one option for dining in the hotel (the hotel bar/lobby) we would have liked a more extensive menu. We ate out most evenings.

Breakfast is excellent Location superb Beds comfy

• Deluxe Double Room

Spa facilities poor, no hot tub and small pool that had an exercise class on. Pool was too cold. Massage was brutal and expensive. The room was dated and bed was far too springy! The restaurant had no vegetarian options on menu so chef made a pasta for us and on starters left the meat option out of the parsnip soup. The pasta was literally pasta cooked in butter with tomatoes on it.... for $150. It was a very expensive hotel and the staff were absolutely lovely.. no complaints there but poor facilities and poor food choice.

• Deluxe Double Room

A bit of luxury without too much expense close to all the attractions. Didn't pre book breakfast but on arrival offered us a good deal. Well worth it with loads of vhoice

• Deluxe Double Room

Arranged at 10am and agreed for late checkout at 1pm, but electronic lock not working after 12 noon, so couldn't open room door and had to go back down to reception to get new electronic key.

close to shopping street. comfortable bed. quiet room. large open lobby cafe great for informal meetings. Helpful conciege. will come again.

• Deluxe Double Room

Nothing , it was a great experience staying over the weekend.it was a pleasure. Pool water was a bit cool !

Everything was great from booking in till we checked out, lunch great, dinner Great, breakfast excellent,staff excellent,

I liked everything

From the minute you arrive you feel very welcom. The hotel has a great atmosphere with very friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast was perfect and as soon as you are seated coffee and tea are offered. We had a beautiful evening meal with excellent choice of wine. Location is perfect. I'd highly recommend this hotel

• Deluxe Double Room

Location. Leisure facilities. Breakfast . Pleasant professional staff. Particularly at breakfast a more than helpful and efficient gentleman from Bangladesh who gave us a lovely conversation about tea.

• Deluxe Double Room

Pool area was a little chilly though the facilities were excellent

Perfect location for visiting the key tourist areas of Berlin. Breakfast was excellent and room facilities made for a very comfortable stay.

• Deluxe Double Room

The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. Perhaps cleaning staff should be advised to spend less time folding triangles on toilet paper and looking out for (very) dusty headboards and tops of bed side lamps. Also to vacuum food debris in between the single beds. It was there all of our 3 night stay. I would suggest installing a hot tub/jacuzzi at some point in the pool area.

Stunning entrance/ reception/ seating area and bar. The staircase is amazing. The staff were efficient and polite.

The spa was very expensive and it would be good to have sauna facilities available with the pool without having to pay extra.

Excellent location, easy to walk to the Brandenburg Gate, Cathedral, museums. Very comfortable bed. Very helpful and attentive staff. We all enjoyed the breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room

The bed was unconfortable because the double bed was two single beds and easy moved. The gap tried to grow always between the two sides. Too much wait in the restaurant and some staff member is not enough lovely.

It’s a beautiful hotel in the center of the Mitte in Berlin. The most of the attractions are very close to the hotel. Luxury rooms, great services.

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

We opted for a garden room. In reality it was just a balcony overlooking a lower roof that had been planted up. In the summer it may have been nice but in February there was no value in it for us.

All staff were very polite without being unctuous. The room and hotel was were exceptionally well appointed. Breakfast had a great range of foods. The hotel is perfectly situated to access local attractions and public transport for places further afield.

• Deluxe Double Room

Having to pay for extras e.g. went to pool but had to pay extra if I wanted to use sauna. For price of the hotel just add this in please.

Hotel was well situated.

• Deluxe Double Room

One large king bed booked and twin bed given. This was changed when asked but cost a lot of time. Sauna has to be paid for additionally, but is a great sauna area!

Very good breakfast, with a great variety of options, including healthier ones. Great bed!

• Deluxe Double Room

The entrance to the room is quite dimly lit which made it quite hard to see in that area of room (especially when looking in full length mirror)

The beds were super comfy and location of hotel was perfect!

• Deluxe Double Room

Nothing negative about the hotel! absolutely loved it.

Great customer service, very professional , yet friendly, and they paid extra attention to the special event for which I stayed in the hotel (I had informed the hotel beforehand). They really went the extra mile to please us. Best bed ever in a hotel room - Super comfy. Amazing breakfast - great service there as well. Great location, too.

• Deluxe Double Room

Noticed that German guests were treated differently to other. We asked for Green Tea at breakfast and was told to get it ourselves, yet when I German couple asked on the next table the waitress served them with their drinks. Same happened when we wanted to sit at a particular table. It was late on and we were going to sit at a table set for 4 and were told we couldn't and had to sit at a table for two. Yet, when a German couple came the waiter was friendly with them and allowed them to sit at the table we were refused.

Really good choice for breakfast and most of the staff were really friendly. Room was spacious and comfortable. Hotel was lovely and the staircase was fab.

The real problem is the service staff at the restaurant and bar, obviously some want you to have the best stay possible and could not be friendlier. But others, possibly most, are not that interested so service is slow and unfriendly. They would be happier cleaning the tables than serving. And with the price of the hotel this is unacceptable. Now everything else is great, but not at the current price. We will try somewhere else next.

The room staff were great. Things like room service and cleaning that was all wonderful. The location is second to none. Most reviews have been saying that the decor is out of date, but in a few more years it will be considered retro to see such 90's 00's carpet and furniture still in use.

• Garden Deluxe Double Room

The hotel decor in general is dated and old school; the room & bathroom was very small and felt a bit grim; the air con didn’t work well; my room key stopped working - which annoyingly meant I had to queue at reception to get it fixed twice; breakfast was lackluster- better to pay to eat out nearby

The lobby area is nice enough to sit in, thankfully, as the room I stayed in was not

• Deluxe Double Room

When checking it, they didn’t want to use the card on file. I understand that that card wasn’t mine (my mother’s) and they have to check to make sure they can use it, but booking.com should not have the option to book for someone else if the hotel won’t let you use that persons card upon check in. I had to email something to my busy mother just so they could use her card upon check out. Also, the check in assistant gave us the wrong type of room. A queen bed instead of two doubles. It was an honest mistake. The reason it bothered me was because when we checked in, a couple right next to us was checking in as well and got the same room as us and we didn’t know it until we got all the way up to the room and their keys didn’t work and ours did. We were given a different room. This second room had only a queen and I was traveling with my brother so I need the two beds, so we switched rooms for the third time. Again, it was an honest mistake, but a mistake I’d expect out of any hotel service other than Westin (the top hotel brand). There was also a morning I tried to have breakfast in the lobby and everyone else near me was greeted except me. It was just a little frustrating after traveling all morning. I hope to have a better experience

I love how comfy the beds were. My dad actually helped design and distribute the Westin Heavenly Bed in the early 2000’s. I loved how there were sounds of music coming from the lobby every night. It wasn’t annoying, yet peaceful.

• Deluxe Double Room

Nothing that comes to mind

Great property, with a great location. I would highly recommend this property. It is also close transportation hubs and is tucked away on a quiet street compared to other hotels around.

• Deluxe Double Room

My only quibble was that the beds were a little too soft for our taste.

The hotel was located in a charming part of East Berlin, very central for tourism activities and nearby shopping. Staff were courteous and helpful, the facilities were excellent, breakfast was extensive and the lobby was very inviting. Our room was comfortable and included all expected amenities.

For my husband and me, the bed was far too soft

Staff were very attentive (albeit not always fluent in German, which caused some minor misunderstandings)

• Deluxe Double Room

We reserved and were confirmed a room with a king sized bed and a tub. When we checked in we were given a small room with 2 single (twin) beds and no tub. When we complained we were given a similar small room with a king sized bed and no tub (there was a shower), however we were forced to pay a surcharge of 60 euros per night for each of the 6 nights that we were there.

Staff was great. Service was great. Concierge was ultra great. Breakfast was super. Charges for the room that we books were ridiculous as we had to pay a large surcharge for the bed type that we had requested.

• Deluxe Double Room

When we checked in the Hotel took a guarantee of 900.00 euro from our debit card that had been converted from Australian Dollars to Euro before we left Australia. This means we we converted cash into a debit card that had been calculated to cover all Hotel costs for our trip. On check out they took another 900.00 Euro from our card now totalling !,800.00. When checking our balance of available funds the first 900.00 is still being held by this Hotel now almost 3 weeks later. On return to Australia our Bank is helpless to release our money, while we emailed the hotel they refuse to release our money. My advise to any traveller is give this Hotel a miss. Rex Andrews

Very little it is an very average Hotel

• Deluxe Double Room

Very crowded breakfast room - Warm food (scrambled eggs) and salmon were not very good, although the breakfast is expensive. We tried the restaurant downstairs once. Horrible service and food overpriced while not really good.

good value for money

Not enough drawers/ storage in the room for clothes. No bath. Rooms were too warm despite adjusting AC it didn’t cool down. Not enough spa facilities eg no jacuzzi/ functional steam room.

Very organised, child bed was set up before we arrived. Staff were excellent.

• Deluxe Double Room

Over priced lots of hidden extra charges, the hotel room was far to hot had to open the French doors then cold not sleep due to the busy road noise. Staff did there job but don't ask for anything more sole less and miserable. The swingpool was cold and you had to pay an extra €8 to us the sauna... I can't say I would recommend there were lots of equally well placed hotel for the money

Great location, well presented

Extremely friendly staff; fantastic location - really couldn't be better for accessing so many parts of Berlin, by foot and public transport; good rooms; amazing (if expensive) breakfast. Would recommend.

• Deluxe Double Room

The hotel takes 150 euros as a deposit upon arrival which is normal and acceptable It's been 24 hours since checkout and the 150 euros taken has not been credited back to my credit card yet which is unsatisfactory as I'm still travelling. I assume that this would be given back by now and not be withheld.

Ambience, lobby bar. Breakfast provided an excellent choice and variety of foods. Staff were friendly and courteous. Room was comfortable and large enough for the two of us. Good facilities and appreciated the extras like the fruit, nuts, chocolates left in our room over the time of our stay

• Deluxe Double Room

Had som issues with room key cards though they tell me they are in the process of resolving this

The breakfast was amazing and a wonderful start to the day. Evening in the bar enjoying a nightcap listening to pianist

Browse The Westin Grand Berlin traveller photo gallery