Reviews of Hotel Windsor This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Von-Werth-Str. 36-38, Altstadt-Nord, 50670 Cologne, Germany

#163 of 223 hotels in Cologne

The staffs are very helpful.

You can hear your neighbour talking from their room. We had very noisy neighbour and every morning someone upstairs did some noisy things such as knocking, carrying sth.

The staffs are very helpful.

Good hotel near to city centre.
    • Economy Double Room

Not to much to fault, lift small but adequate, greeting on arrival was okay but could have been better.

Our room was very good, spacious and with a comfortable bed, television and shower room.

This is my second stay at this hotel and I will be staying...
    • Comfort Single Room

This is my second stay at this hotel and I will be staying here on my next few visits. The rooms are a good size and it has English speaking TV channels..

The location is central with lots of variety of shops in the...

Some of the bathroom towels were not clean on both nights we stayed! The management should keep a close eye on hygiene and sanitation! Also, there’s a small fan in the room, which literally has no effect when the temperature is 30+ with 3 people in the room. This could be a suggestion: having a minibar/fridge in the room to store drinks would be very helpful

The location is central with lots of variety of shops in the nearby. Staff was helpful and friendly. I booked the 3 beds room which is convenient for 3 persons.

A nice hotel!
    • Economy Double Room

Clean, modern, comfortable beds, spacious room. Nice breakfast, friendly staff. We had a room in the basement but this is fine as we only stopped 2 nights.

One of the staff member was constantly on the phone despite...

One of the staff member was constantly on the phone despite knowing there were guests waiting to check out. Knowing I had park in the garage, he did not hand the garage key and had to walk back to the hotel to ask for the keys and yet again he was on the phone and I had to wait until he realised I was there waiting.

I would come back for sure, this place has great quality/price ratio!

The bathroom was pretty small, but decent - the only problem with it was the fact that after any shower there was a sauna effect, because it hadn't any ventilation. But if you keep the door open for a few minutes, everything is ok.

The staff was very nice and helpful - we stayed here for 2 nights and every time we went to the reception there was another stuff member, but all of them were very friendly and polite, with good English skills. The room was bigger than expected - although we asked for twin beds, we got a large bed made of twin closed beds, but we were able to separate them and there were no problems. The cleanliness was ok and we really appreciated the complimentary bottle of water found in our room, after a long road it was just perfect. We liked that the hotel had a very good location - is in a quiet area and pretty close to the central area, you have a 15-20 minutes walking distance to the Cologne cathedral and commercial area, food places and the Rhine.

It is really good value for money!
    • Comfort Single Room

It is really good value for money! Room is clean but very small especially the bathroom - but for a weekend is perfect! Breakfast is much more than I expected for the money I payed! Very friendly personnel! Very close to the city center!

Absolutely terrible stay
    • Family Room

Night-time staff doesn’t know English and not helpful Smoke detector was faulty and kept on ringing The room was dark and not clean Door locks were faulty

Location is fair

The accommodation was perfect and the staff were lovely and...
    • Comfort Single Room

Unfortunately the wifi didn't work. The staff were very nice about this and said they are addressing the problem for future visitors.

The accommodation was perfect and the staff were lovely and informative. Location is great and suited my needs perfectly. Nice and clean with great housekeeping staff too.

Good location and friendly staff

The bathroom was very narrow and the sink and shower was very basic with curtains and a low barrier, would expect a better bathroom for that price. At least it was clean and got cleaned daily. The double bed was actually a twin bed, not very nice to have a small gap between the beds.

Great location, just 10 mins walk to Cologne Cathedral and we enjoyed our stay with good breakfast services and with the help of the friendly staff.

Bang for your buck!
    • Comfort Single Room

I think this is a general problem with most European hotel showers, but the water can get outside the shower door and onto the floor even when you try to fully close the shower door. Not a huge issue as it seems to dry pretty quikcly. There is also a floor mat to help soak up the water.

This place isn't glamorous, but it has a great location! Pretty affordable and easy to walk around the city from here. The breakfast was also delicious. I don't think you'll find many other hotels in the area for the value.

The quality of internet was horrible, don't rely on it for anything, disconects often or is very very slow. Our room was facing the wall but yet was noisy all night long, music, chatter and so on.

That was our first time in Cologne and in the Hotel Windsor,...

Main complain is about that whole hotel looks quite old and all stuff should be updated.

That was our first time in Cologne and in the Hotel Windsor, we have been 3 nights. We can sum that is a good choice if you are looking for not expensive accommodation around the city center. Quality was quite good, a lot of old style furniture, looks like even from another century, very pretty decor.

Amazing stay for the price.

Amazing stay for the price. Very good and friendly staff, good breakfast, location is amazing - very quiet and only 15 mins walk to the Koelner Dome.

Great location and excellent value

would like more tourist information available

Excellent location within easy walking distance of city centre but in a quiet neighbourhood. Large room with plenty of storage space. Good breakfast in pleasant surroundings

Koln is a very nice city where one can walk at leisure.
    • Economy Double Room

The way that the receptionist has answered my request immediately. I had booked a room with 2 beds but was given a matrimonial. But when I asked they offered me immediately another room, which was an upgrade even if I had to pay E10. It was very much worth it.

Comfortable stay, great breakfast!

The room door did not lock properly so was not safe to leave belongings. Staff suggested to pull the door closed strongly in order for it to lock.

Breakfast was great value for money and good range. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Didn't like it at all

There was a bunch of things, but the worst is that there was no proper ventilation in the room. Every night I could feel annoying smell of cigarette smoke. And I couldn't do anything about it because the windows were impossible to open. As guy at the reception said "for the security reasons". So there's no fresh air at all! My gosh, I thougth I'll suffocate there. Thankfully, I stayed only for 2 sleepless nights. The stuff didn't help me with this problem, so I am really dissapointed. Next, the doors are very loud and the walls are paper-thin. So everytime someone's closing a door, taking a shower or flasing a toilet, be sure to hear that. I think the price is high for that kind of service.

It was clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable. The furniture is quite new and good looking.

Good value for money

Bathroom could have been cleaner and shower leaked. Booked as a double room but was single beds pushed together with separate duvets. A double duvet would have been better.

Great breakfast, room warm & comfortable

After I made booking hotel blocked 10 euro on my credit card.

After I made booking hotel blocked 10 euro on my credit card. When I was checking out, paid the whole price of the room and administrator told me that 10 euros will be returned during a week. Two weeks went by, and it’s nothing. Didn’t get any answer from Booking.com or from hotel, even though I was writing them directly. I know that it’s trifle, but the general impression is spoiled.

There is a large parking garage around the corner, which is...
    • Family Room

There is a large parking garage around the corner, which is really nice. Also, the room was nice and luxurious and the beds were very comfortable. It is close to the city center, approximately a 15 minute walk, but also very easy to reach by car from the highway. Highly recommended!

I like the service of the personnel.
    • Economy Single Room

The heater was broke down. I put my sweater when I was sleeping and I could not take a shower at my last day during my stay.

I like the service of the personnel. The rooms in the basement are so dark, there is no window and fresh air.

Nice, clean and simple.

You get what you pay for, no complaints from me.

Clean and easy; underground station is just a street over and only a couple of stops from the centre.

Highly recommended place for tourism on a budget!

I don't think there is anything to complain from.

Very clean - maid cleans everyday; Friendly staff; Excellent location; Very good value for the money.

Super friendly staff and a spotless room
    • Economy Single Room

The room was located in the 'cellar'. This confused me a bit at first. But the backside of the building is lower so you have a window that can open.

Super friendly staff and a spotless room. I booked a single room and got a small room that seemed recently renovated. It had everything I needed. A comfortable bathroom and bed for a very reasonable price.

Great for a cheap few days away

Curtains broken and no tea /coffee making facilities.

Central location, 5 min walk to train Hansaring train station, 1 stop to Central, 5 to airport. Room was basic but clean.

Good location, pleasant stuff ,easy to find from Cologne...
    • Comfort Single Room

charging 5 Euros daily for internet(optional),even you can log in to free city hotspot for few hours every day...

Good location, pleasant stuff ,easy to find from Cologne city train station...

Good value for money

Beds a little hard. Air conditioning would be nice.

It's about a 20-minute walk into the centre of Cologne not too fate at all and public transport is good and nearby. Plenty of food outlets close by and a few bars. Staff are friendly and speak good English.

Freshly renovated room in a friendly hotel.

Our rooms were in the basement so they only had a little indirect natural light. This is fine for a night or if you're out all day, but would get depressing otherwise.

Our rooms had only just been renovated and were in excellent condition, with very comfortable beds. The rooms were very spacious, including the bathrooms. The breakfast buffet was perfectly adequate and a bargain at only €6.50 (you couldn't expect more for the price). Staff are friendly, especially the owner. Hotel parking spaces are available (at extra cost) in a multi-storey car park next door. The main station is just a ten minute walk away.

Convenient location for Koelnmesse but not top of my list for comfort.

Furniture, furnishings etc. very old fashioned, the bathroom extremely small. The lift was quite fantastically slow. The room had some rather grubby corners and no air-conditioning. There was only one access key to the garage so you have to bring it back after fetching your car, or wait if someone else is using it.

They were very flexible when I wanted to add on a night before the booking.com booking. Some of the reception staff were fine, others less communicative.

Great small hotel!

The elevator was too old.

Bathroom was huge! Bed was comfortable and the room was big. Everything was clean. Location was good. Staff was super friendly!

The location of the hotel was good and the check in guy was...
    • Queen Room

As we were checking out, the old man was extremely rude! He complained and gruntled that he was making breakfast and we should've paid in the evening when our flight was at 6am. He continued to be rude and tried to turn the attitude around on us when he greeted us with a snarky noise. I am appalled at his behaviour and his lack of customer service.

The location of the hotel was good and the check in guy was really nice

Good value in central Köln

Slow and unreliable wifi in room (with complicated log-in every time when connecting), meh coffee. Single room is quite small (but I barely spent any time there, as I was very busy at a conference, so it suited me well).

Simple room, good value, clean, close to everything in the city center (~10 min walking distances), good breakfast.

Average stay. Good place to just sleep.
    • Economy Double Room

Doors are so thin in the basement rooms. Woken up every morning at 6 by the cleaners turning up for work. Areas of the room needed to be touched up as paint was flaking or missing

Room was a decent size, and was clean and comfortable

Great value for money.

Room didn't have any air conditioning. Entrance area of our room has a slight stuffy smell. Our room was next to a housing complex and we could hear the residents watching tv on full blast at 1am in the morning.

Great value for money. Clean and comfortable. Friendly staff during check in and breakfast service. Offered parking, which was great.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Good location, pretty good price/quality balance
    • Economy Double Room

I don't think I have many things to say here: Wifi range can be improved first of all, it doesn't offer a well coverage. If you're a Telekom DE customer, mobile signal is very poor. Also, you might want to avoid the Economy/cheap rooms: those are located in the basement, with poor air ventilation, a small window that you cannot reach to open.

Convenient location, especially for business around the MediaPark offices, which was my case. Also, you can find a lot of restaurants, pubs and so around. Close as well to touristic attractions, if it's the case. Very friendly and helpful reception persons.

Very big and comfortable room.
    • Economy Single Room

Very big and comfortable room. The hotel is in nice neighborhood. You can find a lot of restaurants less than 15min afoot. Good wifi. Good breakfast

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Nice, simple, comfy room close to the centre of Cologne!

Nothing really - it was just what we expected for the price.

Nice, comfortable, quiet room that is quite close to the Dom and central area of Cologne (about 15-20 minute walk). Decent sized room and bathroom, where we could open up our suitcase properly and still walk around.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Clean room, quite place, nice location, good parking, communication problem with the reception peopl
    • Queen Room

As we arrived at the Hotel there was a younger man who couldn't speak English at all. Luckily, I was accompanied by a German speaking person so it was possible to do the check in easier. The man didn't inform us about the basic things such as breakfast information, how we can reach our room, where the elevator is and so on. He had a lack of communicating with people in general. After having been asked he told us that the breakfast was till 11 o'clock in the morning. Next morning we went there around 10:30 and the breakfast had already been finished at 10. There was a lady who is in charge of breakfast and she was angry with the reception people because we had been wrongly informed. She was really polite and let us eat since there was a plenty of food, just she couldn't bring something new. She told us that those things happen and due to that the hotel gets negative comments.

We had a quiet and cozy room on the last floor for one night. The room was really clean specially the bathroom. The WiFi was working properly and the TV was ok, just a bit smaller screen. The parking was behind the hotel in a big garage with a lot of free parking spaces and we paid it as it had been stated while booked. The location is really good, 15 min walking to the city center. The woman is the breakfast room was polite and helpful with all breakfast issues. The check out was easy going compared with the check in.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

There is no value for money.

Almost, there is no sound isolation. You can clearly hear what is going on next to your room. No smile no greeting at the reception. Wifi speed was poor.

The room was clean.

Superb value for money

At that price point, could not ask for more. Of course there are more luxurious hotels to choose from but the Windsor comes highly recommended for the price.

Helpful staff, more than acceptable standard for a very good price. 15 min walk to the centre of the city.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Not worth for such price.

Room costed 160 eur/night, size of the room was 2,5x2,5 meters, absolutely bad noise isolation (could hear every step outside), no proper internet connection.

2 single beds to be a double and single duvets.

2 single beds to be a double and single duvets. Shower curtain and carpet could do with being updated. Great location friendly staff and very clean. Cologne lovely visit at Xmas. Market in heumarket brilliant.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Very nice comfortable hotel in a great location.

Nothing I didn't like

Very nice comfortable hotel in a great location. Friendly staff and very helpful :) I would stay at this hotel again in the future and would recommend it to friends

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Location is good, a 10 minute walk to cathedral and main...
    • Economy Double Room

There were no tea making facilities...aside from that you get exactly what you pay for.rooms were spacious, warm and clean.

Location is good, a 10 minute walk to cathedral and main shopping areas...good value for money considering prices of other places.

• Reviewed: 3 December 2016

I love this hotel 😊

I absolutely loved my stay her, our room was lovely and so clean, breakfast was gorgeous aswell. The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough to make our stay pleasant 😊 there was one I think his name was horst well I loved him and appreciate all he done for us and I'd highly recommend a visit 😊 thank you so much .

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Two good nights sleep but no coffee
    • Economy Single Room

There are only two downsides for me, one is that travelling by motorcycle there is no on site parking. But the indoor public car park is only 100 meters up the road, so my motorcycle was out of sight and though parked for 2 days nothing happened to it on both visits. Two, no in room Coffee/Tea making facility, instead bottled water supplied.

Though perhaps not the prettiest hotel from the outside, its clean, quiet, comfortable and was ideally placed for my needs. Staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was worth the extra payment. This is the second time i have stayed and would recommend it to my friends if they wanted to visit Cologne.

Staff is very friendly and the renovation is well done for a...

Staff is very friendly and the renovation is well done for a historic hotel

Clean and tidy, just a 15min walk to the Cologne Cathedral...

Clean and tidy, just a 15min walk to the Cologne Cathedral and town center.

Old fashioned hotel a short walk from centre

Slow lift, rooms could be cleaner, furniture was dated

Friendly staff, quiet neighbourhood but lots to do nearby

Excellent Clean freindly value for money hotel
    • Queen Room

No tea or coffee making facilities, no bar

Very helpful staff, great breakfast, quiet room

We enjoyed our stay
    • Queen Room

There is some noise on the street at night

Good breakfast, helpful staff, clean, Good location and good value for money

never stay again
    • Economy Double Room

I'm not booked in Basement room

All rounder

A perfect little hotel in the centre of everything . Will definitely book again 🙂

Staff were really friendly and helpful

Staff were really friendly and helpful

Very Nice room (5)

Very Nice room (5)

Great for a weekend trip to Cologne

Clean and comfy bedroom and only a short walk to Cologne centre.

Location, friendly and helpful staff

Weak WiFi

Location, friendly and helpful staff

Super position for Koln sightseeing

Small rooms and bathrooms, no climate conditioner

24/7 reception, great breakfast, helpfull staff, excellent position 5min from catedral

No AC and location

Excellent enjoyable stay

Breakfast was good, staff was very friendly and helpful.

Nice hotel

The internet was poor.

Lovely staff. Good breakfast. Our bikes were kept secure in a courtyard.

Parking is not on the premises and is additionally charged.

Parking is not on the premises and is additionally charged.

Confi bed ,nice place to stay,breakfast was good too.

Confi bed ,nice place to stay,breakfast was good too.

Far from airport and no airplane noise
    • Family Room

Twin beds leaves no enough space to pass bed end

Far from airport and no airplane noise

Good for money

Shower area is so tiny

Perfect staff, Huge room,

A good hotel in a convenient location.

A good hotel in a convenient location.

Very good Close to undergound station. Walking distance to the cathedral Staff excellent
    • Economy Double Room

I struggled to connect to WiFi

Breakfast was very good.

Clean

Quite far from public transportation

Clean

Didn’t live up to our expectations
    • Queen Room

Paid extra for a Queen Room, but found it very plain and view from window was rooftops

Everything connected with this hotel was average

nice room

the room is in -1 floor

near to central station. nice room

Good

It will be better If you turn on the central heating in the room before check in.

The breakfast is beautiful!

Service

Service Garage

Friendly staff, good breakfast, clean rooms

Parking is not free, this should be mentioned

Friendly staff, good breakfast, clean rooms