Reviews of Marienlyst Strandhotel 4 stars

Ndr Strandvej 2, DK 3000 Helsingør, Denmark

#3 of 14 hotels in Helsingør

Good if you’re on a business expense account. Poor value for anyone else
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

This was an expensive hotel and we expected more. Although we paid for a superior room it was small and cramped. The pool facilities were at additional cost. The brasserie was seriously overpriced. We paid 145 kroner for pre dinner snacks which comprised one small fried fish ball, a sip of tomato juice and a tiny teaspoon of raw minced beef. The service was slow due to delay in the kitchen and we were not told that we would be charged 50 kr for the carafe of water placed on our table.

The reception and brasserie staff were very friendly and helpful. The view from our bedroom was a lovely sea view. The décor was very tasteful. The 20 minutes walk to the station was pleasant and allowed us to visit Copenhagen by train

Lovely Resort But Some Work To Do

The Brasserie restaurant was overpriced, and the staff left much to be desired. Lousy dinner in all respects.

Staff was helpful. Comfortable room at elegant rates.

We were not let into the restaurant without reservation,...

We were not let into the restaurant without reservation, even though there were plenty of empty tables. Eating at the bar with small child was not really an option for us. Room service didn't pick up.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Wonderful ocean view/breezes
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Staffs at other danish hotels have been more helpful with suggestions and directions. The hallway to my room smelled of fish.

The bed was really comfortable. The sea breeze off the ocean was awesome and the view wonderful. The slot and small park were just across the road.

Comfortable, welcoming - easily a 'stay again' kind of place

There wasn't much we didn't like to be honest - we just wish we had had another night to stay there to take advantage of the spa.

Staff were very welcoming, rooms were comfortable and spacious, location was great, breakfast was wonderful, facilities that we were able to make use of were good. We were very happy overall. I saw in one other review a comment about the size of one of their single rooms and I think our teenage son stayed in that room - he seemed to like it - I think his comment was that it was 'neat'. But I can see why an adult might not have appreciated it. The hotel also has a pretty 'neat' roof deck from where you can look across the strait to Sweden and watch the ships ply up and down the channel.

Great as always !!

Maybe lack of AC during the unusually hot nights--

Great hotel all around--and, yeah, the breakfast is sensational!! Stayed in the new section and it was super!!

Lovely old style hotel on the sea front .
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Very tiny space to hang clothes, perhaps some extra hooks would be useful. The smelly cigarette ash container on the balcony.The use of a stone to serve butter in the restaurant, may look good, but not user friendly.

Lovely old style hotel on the sea front . Room was very modern with open style bathroom and small balcony overlooking the sea. Excellent meal in the restaurant - Brasserie 1861, and friendly staff. Enjoyed relaxing in the bar. Easy car parking. Very good breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Excellent restaurant with nice seaviews.

Lack of ventilation. No air conditioning and yet no open windows in hallways or stairs.

Excellent restaurant with nice seaviews. Our finest dinner on our Danmark trip. Nearness of and orientation on sea is impressive. Problematic building around hotel creating vast parking lot on land side. Friendly staff, finding a twin room even if there wasn't one available...

Having booked a room with seaview, we were delighted with...
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

There was no aircon in the room, only a fan. Neither was there an aircon in the gym, therefore making use of it wasn't an option since due to warm weather the climate was unbearable in there. Breakfast was a massa event. The room was recently refurbished, however, the drainage didn't work in the shower. So that meant someone had to stand guard to avoid any flooding of the room. And off course there was the obligatory shower curtain which is very vintage and done with to us west europeans.

Having booked a room with seaview, we were delighted with the view. The room was recently refurbished and nice to look at.

Good Location & Facilities!

Was given a non-smoking room, which was clearly, previously, a smoking room (with an obvious strong smell of smoke)…asked for a change and was given another room the following day. Overall, it feels like the room furnishing are ‘aging’, and likely in need of an ‘upgrade’.

Overall, very helpful, kind and skilled staff! By far the best feature of the hotel; the outdoor pool and the gym are great and very well equipped; the selection of restaurants is of high-standards, in-particular, the Japanese and Thai.

Nice and relaxing short trip

The breakfast could be a bit better - more selection - it gets a. Bit boring after 4 days

The location was awesome and the staff totally friendly and nice!

Birthday stay in Marienlyst hotel

The design of our room, we had a superior room with see view, it could have been beautiful, but there was bathtub and basins in the room/bedroom, toilet and shower separately and of very strange construction, very tiny and not comfortable. My daughter was staying in a superior room without see view and the room was much nicer, spacious, with proper bathroom and shower. We had dinner twice in the Brasserie, first evening was just fine (those we asked for a table outside and we mentioned that it was my Birthday in written reservation two weeks in advance ) no outside sitting and no one even bothered to wish me "happy Birthday", very unusual when you stay in a hotel. Unfortunately the result of all additional visits of the Brasserie and the bar & lounge, was very, very slow service, the staff was not particularly friendly and with big lack of professional service, the food was good, but the staff attitude spoiled the pleasure. The weather was again beautiful, but the dinner was again strictly served only inside. The sun chairs in front of the hotel were of cheap quality, many of them broken.

The staff at the reception was very friendly, the view from our room was beautiful, the bed was comfortable. The Spa looked very nice as well. Location is perfect, nice beach and we walked easily to the centre.

Great spa, wonderful location with seaview from both spa and...

Great spa, wonderful location with seaview from both spa and restaurant. We got a room with seaview even though we only had booked a room overlooking the garden.

This is the place to stay!
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Am missing a few items at breakfast. Pickles, salad, tomatoes, mustard etc

Super comfy beds. Very friendly staff. The hotel is just lovely. :) Excellent gourmet restaurant.

My favorite place to stay in Denmark!

The rooms were a little warm on the day we arrived. My view was a little disappointing since I was facing the parking lot, but it really didn't matter since I just spent more time on the other side of the hotel!

We loved it all! The location of the property is perfect; a short walk into the cute town and quite accessible to Kronborg. I'm still thinking about the breakfast. They had everything, including the best danish we ate while in Denmark! Our evenings were unforgettable, sitting near the beach with our cocktail, enjoying soulful conversation while capturing glimpses of Sweden. My brother and sister-in-law were mesmerized!

Beautiful and clean room, very nice spa area, both in side...

Beautiful and clean room, very nice spa area, both in side and outside. And that view from the breakfast terrace - Breathtaking, I could sit there all day!

A fine stay
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

The petsonel misplaced a plant I had bought as a birthday present to a friend. First they told me that I couldn't have it back, and perhaps they could just buy another. I told them to find the plant, which had been placed first in an office and then in the kitchen. Later after giving me a headace of worry ( I could not just go out and buy another - it was a special chosen plant), they had found it in another kitchen, so everything ended well. Only it took the joy away..

The view, the interior decoration and the comfort

Great view of Kronberg Castle and the sea.

Pillows not good had to sleep on a cushion instead. Don't like bath in the bedroom.

Great view of Kronberg Castle and the sea. Room was very hot, but this was due to exceptionally hot weather. I personally don't like the bathroom in the room itself - toilet was separate with a door but bath and sinks were in the bedroom. Room was large with a balcony (we had a deluxe sea view room). Small but good gym at hotel, there was also a spa but I didn't use it. Meals were good in the bar and restaurant albeit a bit pricey. The buffet breakfast was good with hot and cold options.

The location for a visit to Elsinore, or in our case to...

Prices were high even for Denmark. The Brasserie menu, while very impressive perhaps lacked some simple offerings but having said that the bar menu had these.

The location for a visit to Elsinore, or in our case to participate in the Ironman event was perfect. Big breakfast spread, comfortable lobby and bar area, terrace and rooms were big, bright, airy and clean.

Very pleasant environment... Yet it could have been so much more if my issues were resolved...
    • Small Single Room

Upon check-in, I immediately noticed my wifi & refrigerator not working. Tried unsuccessfully for an hour to ring the reception, eventually had to make my way down to speak to them in person, and was regrettably told that they were really busy. Reception noted my issues, informed me that they would have someone to assist me "as soon as possible" and again mentioned that they were really very busy (I truly believe they were but I just could not imagine why I need to have my expectations managed that way). After an hour or so, I noticed no one tried to contact me to resolve at least my wifi issue. I placed a follow-up call to the reception, had my same issue noted down again and received the same assurance that someone will assist soonest. But yet there was never a follow-up what so ever. I gave up pursuing this the 2nd day (was also curious if there might be any eventual offer to help at all). So I spent 3 days 2 nights without wifi in my room. First world problem or not, it was a painful hassle when you were on business and needed to work in your room after dinner. I am still stumped by what happened (or rather, did not happen).

Location was beautiful, meals were very fresh & delicious, the staff were generally very polite, courteous and friendly.

Great Location with waterfront!
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Service and reception employees were very unfriendly...at arrival we waited 10 minutes as Möbius HOTEL persons were there....a complete booked HOTEL without anybody behind the reception is not acceptable...I was not the only guest who was dissappointed and angry:-( The Price for the small HOTEL room and service is not ok!

Great Location with waterfront!! The Dinner in the Brasserie restaurant was delicious!

Did absolutely not meet my expectation! (which were quite high)

We have visited the hotel on a regular basis for many years. However, after the closing of the swimming pool and opening of the new spa (which i guess is fine), the hotel is no longer an alternative for families with children below 16. Alle key facilities at the hotel is practically not available for us as a group. Which is too bad for a potentially nice place. I'll still consider to use the hotel for business meetings. PS. The reception could also not help us with an extra tooth brush we needed and lunch offerings should be upgraded

Very nice location and generally a good standard both of facilities and staff

Relaxation central

Fantastic breakfast buffet. Heaps of variety and everything was fresh and delicious! Spa was excellent. Well worth the price of admission. You get a full 24 hours access, so you can still use the spa until 2pm on your day of checkout. Felt like your were really getting your money's worth.

Lovely stay but expected more from a 4 star hotel.

Cleaning of room was not satisfying, flexibility from hotel staff could be better (late checkout eg). The coffee was poor quality mashine coffee. Filter coffee and tea water was cold 09.00 at breakfast.

Breakfast on the Beach and the out door pools

Nice for romantic getaway

It's not really child friendly. But right now, it's perfect for a romantic getaway.

Beautiful rooms, spa facilities, great breakfast. Great location and wonderful setting.

comfortable stay, nice location

1 - SPA charges for guests are higher than standard prices in other parts of Europe 2 - Use of swimming pool is not free, which is very surprising. It is free at most other hotels

clean rooms, modern infrastructure, good breakfast spread, helpful staff, nice location

The room was great.

The staff was very friendly but not very clear when explaining what was included in the spa pack. We asked three people and they all said different things regarding whether or not we would get towels, robes and slippers for using at the spa.

The room was great. The new spa area is awesome. The breakfast buffet is also very good and varied.

Very nice hotel but room for improved customer service
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

No response from the hotel to pre-arrival request despite sending several emails - very disappointing, especially as this is a 4 star hotel and it ain't cheap! Breakfast staff was very slow in clearing tables - we had to do it ourselves as there were no clean tables when we arrived.

Great location, comfortable, excellent facilities and wonderful views.

5.5
    Terrible - disturbed by noise of a band playing.

There was load music from a conference reception and had to move my family to a new room at 11pm so we could sleep. The staff should not place a family in a room immediately above an event venue, especially when there were many other available rooms in the hotel. Not up to standard for a four star hotel.

Styling of the rooms were very nice

Ideal for some quite days in Helsingor at a location with beach and perfect view. Nice property.
    • Small Single Room

- Small single room is really small. But the quality of decoration is nice. = SPA for one day is 300 DKK. 150 DKK would be a perfect price - as then I would have definitely tried it out.

Location is excellent. The property is beautiful. Breakfast is very nice - the idea with the 2 DYI waffle machines is superb and the result is fantastic! Coffee quality at bar is great and location with sea view is perfect. Food is nice. Staff is great. What I loved at this hotel is that the common areas (bar, breakfast area, lobby and adjoining rooms) offer PLENTY of space and are high and representative. Really cozy and relaxing. The spa looks impressive on the outside but I did not try it out.

Welcoming staff.

Little bit dissapointed that SPA is not for kids. We have traveled a lot with our 4 year old. And SPAs that we visited had small time slot for little kids

Welcoming staff. Specious and clean room with nice design. Delicious breakfast.

the very beautiful interiør, made me in a good mood until I...

The noise from the elevator and an electric cord that was hitting the wall outside the room during the hole night and made sleep impossible. Very very dissapointing and I felt like leaving in the middle of the night.

the very beautiful interiør, made me in a good mood until I reached bed and could not sleep.

magical, amazing, perfect!

The fitness centre, swimming pool and spa were closed due to renovations and it would have been great to see more of them (and less of the building works) but they look like they'll be a great addition when they open in early 2018!

This hotel is in an absolutely stunning location - the restaurants and bar have a clear view across the water to sweden and the view is absolutely beautiful. The food - especially the breakfast - is amazing and it was really a fabulous place to stay. The best hotel in the town!

Comfortable but expensive
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Poor value for money- the spa was closed for renovation (with workmen on site) and other things like the ice machine weren't working. The restaurant, although good was very 'experimental' in its choice of dishes with even the staff not knowing what was in them.

A comfortable hotel located in a good position

The hotel has had a lot of refurbishment since the last time...
    • Small Single Room

The hotel has had a lot of refurbishment since the last time I was there. I very much liked that the feel of the old hotel has been maintained. The room was excellent. Perfect for me and one of the few times I can say I slept properly on my first night

Just about the friendliest hotel staff I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

We had a poor meal in the bar on our first evening, so we did not eat at the hotel for the rest of our stay.

The staff were fabulous, nothing was too much trouble, the rooms clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. Overall highly recommendable. We used the hotel as a base for visiting Copenhagen, and it was much better value, the train to Copenhagen was the same price as parking our car for the day in the capital.

Lovely room with view and comfortable beds.
    • Double Room with Sea View

The room had a noisy fridge and one of our rooms didn’t have a bath but these are very small issues.

Lovely room with view and comfortable beds. Amazing breakfast.

Great hotel in lovely location!

Nothing really!

This hotel is in a lovely location with an easy walk along a coastal path to the station, maritime museum, castle etc. Lovely rooms, with an interesting layout! Views over sound to Sweden are lovely! Staff were lovely and very helpful.

Lovely surroundings and nice interior design.
    • Small Single Room

Very nice surroundings and nice decor inside the hotel. Nicely decorated rooms, comfortable bed and overall very clean. Nice breakfast buffet as well. There was no safe in the room, all though it said so on booking.com, but the front office staff handled this in a very professional and courteous manner. I asked for late check-out which was granted - another big plus.

I like the hotel in general, ad I used to stay there many...
    • Small Single Room

I've got a single room with a bed upstairs on a board. There were no air, if I opened the window I felt falling out. Not enough room around the bef, the ironing machine falled down on my leg when I tried to walk to the bathroom in the dark.... next time I will ask for a double bed instead of this kind of room....

I like the hotel in general, ad I used to stay there many times.

I wouldn't go back as it was really catering for corporate team building trips.
    • Double Room with Sea View

The swimming pool and spa area was shut but this was not obvious on the booking.com site. The check in was 15:00 which is very late and they were not flexible with this which I found rather unfriendly.

Great view from room, although we were in an old room which was rather disappointing. The staff in the bar and restaurant were great, friendly and helpful. GREAT BREAKFAST!

Potential is there but totally disappointing and a lot of improvement needed.
    • Double Room with Sea View

The staff made several mistakes with our booking and we were almost charge for something we did not ask for. There were also other mistakes made at the reception. Additionally, the rooms look very old and need urgent renovation. There was a lot of noise from the bar after 22.30 and the rooms are poorly insulated so it seemed like we were at the bar while our bed was vibrating. The hotel has an old charm but it needs modernising. We expected something way better for the price. Totally overcharged and very disappointing.

The breakfast is very nice and the hotel is located in a very nice place.

Historic

No baggage help was serviced to us when we arrived, 11:00 o'clock check out time is terrible, there wasn't AC in the room which could be hot in summers.

The hotel was first built in 1800's which was nicely renovated, bed was comfortable. The view was nice, parking was easy.

Great and newly furnished hotel with proper bath and beach hotel atmosphere with view of the Castle
    • Quadruple Room

Reception staff didn't manage to record our restaurant reservation with the restaurant itself so if the head waiter hadn't been accommodating when we shied up we would not have been able to get our dinner without leaving the hotel.

When the reception misbooked us for the pension dinner, the restaurant quickly solved it by getting an additional table set up to accomdate all 4 of us although being fully booked and we only had to pay for the beverage. The food was complementary due to the mixup!

Great hotel, best in Helsingor now after refurb.
    • Small Single Room

The pool and spa area were being refurbished which was a shame. Apparently will reopen next year.

This hotel has been refurbished and the rooms are now to a good standard. Excellent breakfast overlooking the Oresund. The single rooms are small but fine for 1 night. Tea making and safe in room.

Nice location, but sure charged!
    • Small Single Room

I absolutely dislike that I am sure charged because I do not have a domestic credit card. Tourists in general should think about this when they go to Denmark. Danish establishments are giving preferential treatment to Danes since they are not sure charged. I think Booking.com should indicate on its web pages if the hotel uses sure charge or not.

Nice location.

Nice room with veranda actually on the beach.
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Photos suggested a small hotel when it is huge. Renovations meant our beach view was spoilt by skips. Some staff excellent and friendly, others clearly annoyed by having to be at work. Food expensive and average in the dining room.

Nice room with veranda actually on the beach. Reasonably good facilities without being excellent.

Nice location, very large hotel.
    • Junior Suite with Sea View

Very large hotel, so the service was not always good. Tables did not get cleared at breakfast and many stations ran out of food during breakfast. Our coffee and cake that we had on the terrace one afternoon was still there in the evening.

Our junior suite was very nicely decorated. Beautiful location on the beach. Friendly reception.

Very comfortable seaside hotel! Ideal for couples!

The only thing worth mentioning here is that it was from time to time difficult to find a parking space. The hotel has quite a lot of parking slots, but they are not enough since a great number of guests arrive by car due to the location of the hotel.

Really great breakfast with a good variety of food! A very good coffee, which is not that common in that part of Denmark. We had a very nice room with a balcony, everything was clean and the room interior was pleasant. The bar and restaurant staff were so friendly and helpful and provided us with everything we needed. The hotel is located directly on the beach and thus has an astonishing sea view, as well as on Kronborg Castle! We had a lovely stay and would definitely come again!

Splendid stay by the Orestand sound!
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

We were surprised that the menu in the restaurants didn't change.

Though our view of the sound was partially obscured, we loved sitting in the very comfortable chairs for reading, chatting, having a drink.

Poor service!

Staff service very poor. Reception staff change our rooms reserved. Reservation of dinner table were neglected by the staff. We wanted dinner from the menu, we were informed that only BBQ was available when we arrived for dinner even though we told the staff at the reception upon arrival that we wanted the menu and a table at the window was reserved and neglected by the staff at the restaurant.

Breakfast was fine.

A wonderful place to relax and unwind.

There was nothing to complain about

Everything. One of the nicest hotels I have stayed in recently. The staff are excellent and friendly. Breakfast was wonderful with lots of choice and the dinner BBQ the first night was great.

Traditional resort in beautiful location
    • Double Room with Sea View

The rooms were dated, but comfortable. It was obvious they are in the process of upgrading the property, but had not yet gotten to all rooms.

Beautiful dramatic coastline location for this historical hotel

Lacking ambiance

The charmless atmosphere

The general lack of ambiance was a tiny bit compensated by the very good waffles one can make by oneself on two well working waffle machines.

Relaxed stay in nice hotel with room for some small adjustments - such as availability of pool
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Smoking on balconies which allowed smoke to enter room; lack of attention to minor detail e.g. Keeping tables clear and clean; no pool and ongoing works with some areas of beach scruffy and too small ie for children and too close to rooms (kids playing game below balcony and naturally being noisy). Staff pleasant and polite but not connecting (may be a culture thing). No tea and coffee facilities available in room or elsewhere during day.

Setting, layout, beach, decor, good furniture

Great hotel right on the sea.

The refurbishment that was taking place meant we had to hear drilling in the room above ours. Thankfully it moved on during our second day.

The beds were lovely and comfortable. The restaurant was fabulous. We had the menu of the day which was delicious and very reasonable. The bar was friendly with a great view across the sea to Sweden. I just lived sitting in the deckchairs reading in the sunshine.

nice sea view and rich breakfast good parking facilities
    • Double Room with Sea View

Bathroom and room oldfashion and worn out. It would be great to renovate that wing of the building.

nice sea view and rich breakfast good parking facilities

nice place to visit on the Danish coast

Unfortunately the Swimming pool and the spa were under reconstruction which was not very clear on the website (only after having booked you were informed about that), which made that the Price was slightly more than could be expected now that These Services were not available. Very good Restaurant, but not easy to reserve, seems all tables are already taken before hotelguests arrive.

Fantastic hotel by the sea

The breakfast can be better. But it´s not a reason for not staying at this hotel :-)

Fantastic hotel by the sea! Can highly recommend this. We stayed in a Familyroom where we could se the sea and the sunset. For dinner we want just 800 m to the italian rest Ciao Ciao.

Excellent! Can't recommend enough

Everything was perfect

Excellent! Manager accommodated early check in! Fantastic property and location can't be beat. Maritime museum and kronberg so close!

Never ever

No hot water, bad experience in restaurant

No hot water, impolite staff, incredible bad experience same in restaurant 1861. Promises but nothing done to solve the issues with water.

From a one night stay

"Double Bed" was two single beds pushed together that would split if you laid in the middle. Prices for drinks were very high, but that was expected.

Location was easily accessible by local train. Very clean and well kept. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

A nice stay.

Kind of odd design with open wash basin, counter & bath tub, situating right next to the bed! Adjacent rooms all share the same balcony, making one feel not too safe. Privacy could be an issue if you have insensitive neighbours.

Room spacious even when 3 adults shared a double room, very clean. Very comfortable bed. Breakffast very good.

• Small Single Room

I do have to say that my tolerance level is generally quite high, but so are my expectations when staying at a luxury hotel like the Strand- & Badehotel Marienlyst. The hotel was fully booked during my stay; I would expect there to be more than one person at Reception to deal with guests and phone calls to minimise waiting time. My shower was not 100% clean; however this was sorted out within minutes of me going down to Reception (I would have phoned but weirdly, my room didn't have a phone). The hotel brasserie was quite expensive and short on snacks and non-meat options so I had to walk into the town centre in search for an alternative place for dinner. During the night, there was repeated noise from other guests walking past my room and talking loudly, probably belonging to one of the wedding parties who I ran into when wandering around the premises earlier in the evening. I'm not big on breakfast but as it was included in the room price (I think there might have been no "no breakfast" option when I booked) I was quite looking forward to feasting on several kinds of Danish pastry, this being Denmark after all. The buffet was quite sparse though and not labelled very well, although I did eventually find some mini pancakes and nutella in lieu of any pastries.

Having come to Helsingor especially to visit Kronborg Castle, I was very pleased to see a statue of Hamlet from my window, and the castle itself when having breakfast - quite a view! Walking along the beach promenade towards Kronborg was a great way to start the day. The town itself was very busy because of the Ironman event, but the hotel had informed me of this a few days prior to my visit so I was mentally prepared. I was however glad that I had taken time to explore Helsingor and the immediate castle surroundings in peace and quiet on the night before (it was still light at about 11pm) as this wouldn't have been possible during the Ironman event. The hotel is a great place to stay in if you want to treat yourself and don't want/need to be in the city centre near the train station. I would probably book it again and make use of the spa facilities once they open later in the year.

No customer orientation/very poor service
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Front office staff was very unfriendly and not customer oriented at all. There was construction ongoing next to our room (new spa area). Room was not clean (full with dog hairs from the previous guest). Overall a very disappointing stay. It's a pitty because location is very nice, just at the seaside.

Pleasent Express Weekend
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Water temperature was uncontrollable in the shower. (Room 442) WLAN (WiFi) didn't work, good signal but useless when connected, it was better closer to the center of the hotel. (Room 442 at the far end) (that despite being a Professional Network Engineer since 20 years...)

Clean, light and fresh room with en excellent view overlooking the sea.

Great location, comfortable beds, very expensive, no hot water
    • Junior Suite with Sea View

The was no hot water in the shower one day, really poor for an expensive junior suite, my wife couldn't shower or use the bath tub because of cold water. They didn't clean the rooms or change the towels at all. We had the "do not disturb sign" on until 11 am, but not thereafter. Funny thing was that the cleaning lady woke us up at 8.30 cause she was vacuum cleaning outside our room, constantly "knocking" the cleaner at the wall. The room was above the restaurant and bar and there was loud music until 2 am that made it difficult to sleep. Breakfast was OK, but not as good as an average 3-4 star Scandic hotel in Sweden. Not too many things to choose from. They had scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon. One sort of cheese, ham and liver paste. Overall an average hotel with great view, but not worth the money. When checking out, they gave us about 10 % off the total price, but still it was a rip-off. And since I paid a lot extra for the suite with the bath tub, (since the entire SPA area is closed for renovation) I think it felt extra bad not to have warm water, i.e. not being able to enjoy the bath tub. A double room without bath tub would have costed me less than half the price I paid...

Nice location just by the sea with great view over Sweden. Walking distance (1,5 km) to Helsingör city centre. We had a junior suite with sea view. The room was nicely decorated with amazing view and a nice balcony. Bath tub in the room. Comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

apalling !!!

the service from the staff was totally unhelpful as we emailed before our visit to get some information on taxis, the reply we received was totally unhelpful and if it wasn't for the fact my sister was getting married at this hotel we would have cancelled there and then. When we arrived we were made to carry our own bags up 3 flights of stairs as no porter and the lift was broken. The room I booked was a superior double room with a garden view but our view was of the car park and building work, the lack of towels in the room and the fact that the table in our room was dirty and even though we asked for it to be cleaned it never happened. The food in the restaurant for my sisters wedding breakfast was appalling, then the breakfast the next day was mediocre with no Danish pastries or croissants. We expected more from a supposed 4* hotel. So overall there was nothing positive to say about this hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The hotel is perfectly located - the beach is just around...
    • Small Single Room

There's a fee for credit cards (Visa, MasterCard) issued outside Denmark. Use Maestro to avoid the fee.

The hotel is perfectly located - the beach is just around the corner. You can have your breakfast outside, enjoying the sea view, ships and seagulls (the latter will try to steal your food if you leave it unattended - so don't!).

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

great location, walking distance to the town, and fabulous...
    • Junior Suite with Sea View

there are renovations taking place at the moment. The bistro restaurant was closed on the night of our stay, so we have a very limited menu to choose from.

great location, walking distance to the town, and fabulous sea views (worth paying the extra for this in our view)

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Great, friendly and efficient service.
    • Small Single Room

The bedroom was very well-heated, and has only one window -- JUST beside the bed (which is raised on a sort of stand against that whole wall). The window cannot be locked open a crack: it's either wide open or securely shut. Except that some fresh air would have been nice -- but the window gives onto a public outside walkway. Noise, cigarette smoke, and not safe enough feeling to sleep with the window open.

Great, friendly and efficient service. A very comfortable and well-designed single room, with one exception.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Quiet luxurious charming old hotel in beautiful seaside location

The towels were not on par with the rest of the facilities.

The Buffet Breakfast was of very good quality and extensive. The rooms comfortable and bedding luxurious. The location is close to Kronborg castle - we walked there and into the city centre. I would recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

It could be better
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

Room are really small, extra bed very uncomfortable, old carpet in the hallways, old rooms are not as good as the new ones, some rooms are classified as with sea view but the view is almost all on the roofs.

Location and food

the location, bar & room

Breakfast area was crowded on 1st day of stay, only 1 vegetarian option in the restaurant!, triple room is a "double room" with an additional bed on the side

the location, bar & room

The incredible see-view is probably the only nice thing about this place.
    • Double Room with Sea View

It was a bit unfortunate that the "double bed" in our room was two single beds pushed together with separate blankets too small to share. The place also seems to be understaffed (we chose not to have dinner there because of previous bad experience and not so impressive food), but already at the bar one has to wait a really long time to get attention. At breakfast buffet one could also see that the staff really struggled to fill up the food, since there were too many people for such a small number of staff. Also, the place in general seems a bit dirty. For example the glass walls that let in a lot of light to the bar area were just incredibly dirty and full of bird droppings, which made the view a bit less nice to look at. It seems like it used to be a nice place but now they're really trying to save money on staff.

It is very nice to be that close to the sea. We really enjoyed sitting on the balcony and listening to the waves through the window.

Browse Marienlyst Strandhotel traveller photo gallery