Reviews of Munkebjerg Hotel 4 stars

Munkebjergvej 125, 7100 Vejle, Denmark

#6 of 17 hotels in Vejle

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The staff were miserable. There's no tea/coffee in the room. No shelf in the shower so your constantly bending up & down to get shampoo etc. The sauna was out of order as was one of the hot tubs and the one working hot tub was full so I couldn't enjoy the spa at all. No dressing gowns in the spa either. The cafe near the beach accepts cards but not MasterCard so make sure you have cash if your a MasterCard user. The staff just seem to disappear, I was eating lunch and dropped my knife on the floor, I couldn't find anyone to get a clean one so ended up eating with just my fork and fingers! Not good.

The food was amazing (except the Cockerel which was far too salty) the breakfast buffet had everything you could want and more, the freshly baked bread and Danish pastries were amazing.The bed was so comfortable (although I'd booked a double and ended up with 2 singles and kept falling down the middle as they weren't attached)The surroundings are stunning beautiful Forrest and fjord. I went running got a little lost but it all adds to the adventure

• Double or Twin Room

I forgot my bikini in the room and I was not informed. However, I rang after 2 weeks and they had kept it, that was a relief! The staff is polite and helpful, and they will arrange for it to be delivered.

The breakfast was the most amazing I've ever had, and I travel a lot. In addition to having lots of choices, the views are very relaxing. The spa opening hours are perfect, I was able to relax in a spa with a jacuzzi and a pool all for myself, even though I arrived after 9pm. If you arrive even later, you can still enjoy the facilities from 6am before going to your business meeting. I would love to go back and enjoy the hotel further. It is a great value for money!

• Family Room

A “family room” means a bed for the parents and two spare beds in the same room for the kids. The walls are thin, some renovation needed also.

The pool, the services, the food was fantastic.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Only detail I did not like were the beds. They were way too soft. I am 54kg and I felt completely drowned and woke with a sored back / neck For the price I would expect beds MUCH MORE solid and comfortable.

Facilities were well cleaned. Staff was pleasant Breaksfast was very good with variety

• Double or Twin Room

I got the room next to the entrance which was fairly uncomfortable as of the frequency of incoming/outgoing people. The saua is very small, The heating was noisy.

Quit location

• Double or Twin Room with Fjord View

We order room with fjord view, but could not see the fjord. Ask to change room. Staff say fully booked. Then I ask to cancel and will leave the hotel as it was not what I have ordered. Suddenly there was another room with fjord view. Very bad to have such a problem.

After change room have fjord view

• Double or Twin Room

nothing except leaving ! We shall return next year !

We were .in a Tree Tops room which is the exclusive part of the hotel. It was very well designed and equipped with iron,mini bar etc We have stayed here before and it is so clean and we had a wonderful balcony to enjoy. The food was fabulous and beautifully presented. The waiting staff and restaurant mangers do an excellent job. The young blond receptionist was so charming to us.The view of the fjord is stunning.

• Double or Twin Room with Fjord View

It is located out of town - nice if you want peace and quiet, but expensive by taxi.

Stylishly designed in the typical Sandinavian style. Comfortable and quiet room, with a view to the fjord in the distance. Nice bar and we were given a free glass of wine each evening. Excellent breakfast, served overlooking the fjord.

• Family Room

The room had a bit of stuffy air and a slightly worn out feeling even if very clean.

The surroundings are beautiful. The facilities are excellent as well as the Panorama restaurant.

• Double or Twin Room

The complimentary toiletries were the only thing not to my liking, but that of course is just a matter of taste.

This ever so lovely hotel, Hotel Munkebjerg was recommended to us by a Danish friend. We were travelling in Denmark for a couple of days and were ever so glad that she had recommended this luxurious hotel in the woods close to Vejle city. We stayed there for one night and would have loved to stay for another night, but had to move on to Germany. The price was reasonable for such a luxurious country hotel and we absolutely loved our stay. Our room was big and we had a balcony. We could see from the balcony that the hotel has a casino, but it was quiet and no noise from the casino. After we checked in we went to explore Vejle and the UNESCO site at Kongernes Jelling in the vicinity, where you will see the famous rune stone of Harald Bluetooth. Everything was up to par, the service was excellent, the room was really clean, with a spacious wardrobe and a big desk and free Wifi. There was a golf museum, so I guess this hotel is golf related? We found an inside swimming pool and would have loved to take a dip, but we were at the hotel late so it was closed. Jewellery and clothes were for sale in the spacious lobby area and everything was really posh and nice. On the ground floor was a big playroom for children. The restaurant had beautiful views with an outside area with steps leading down into the woods. I read in the hotel magazine that here had once been the largest escalator in Denmark and people from all over Denmark came to Munkebjerg to try it out - there was even an entrance fee to the escalator. Highly recommended.

• Double or Twin Room

When I checked in (c.22.30) I was given the wrong sort of room key so had to traipse back to reception and join the queue again to get the right one. Was woken early by contractors outside in the corridor setting up to change all the door locks. To get to breakfast I had to run the gauntlet of tool kits etc. laying on the corridor floor. No notification given. Knowing that work was planned they could easily have given me a different room at check-in to avoid me being affected. Very poor customer relations....felt like I was an inconvenience getting in the way of work that the hotel wanted to get done. Breakfast buffet not re-stocked. I stay over 100 nights per year at hotels....I know what good looks like and what indifferent service looks like. Maybe fine for leisure but not for business based on my experience.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

No hairdryer in the room. Next to the hotel is a casino.

This hotel is very nice, good architecture and details in rooms. Furniture is sophisticated. I just stayed one night, but the surroundings are looking great. Pleasant personal. Breakfast superb.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Staff at main desk were not exactly friendly. On 3 occasions did not even respond to "Hi" or "good morning". There is no shelf inside the shower, so all the shampoo etc. falls to the floor. Basic stuff. Breakfast should start earlier than 07:00

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The pictures of the hotel room were not accurate at all. My room was a little dated and the carpet was not very clean, stains on the chairs and bedding, etc. There were also holes in the walls along the corridor to my room (ground floor). Not sure if it was due to an on-going renovation or they were just never repaired. It was a little disturbing. I was up most of the night and actually left as early as I could the next morning. This is a pet friendly hotel, but it would be good if rooms are kept strictly separate so that there are dedicated rooms for those with pets and those without or have allergies.

The bar area on the ground floor was very nice and serves great food. The views and surrounding areas are beautiful. The staff are very helpful and warm.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Staff could have been friendlier, although mostly the staff were helpful, especially in the main restaurant. The Treetop restaurant had a world class selection of wine albeit at a high price! The inclusive Breakfast buffet was excellent but lunch and diner were disappointing. A car is essential here as the nearest town (Vejle) is some 5 km away. In room facilities somewhat sparse, eg. no facilities for coffee/tea making.

Great views across the Vejle Fiord coupled with some lovely walks in the woods surrounding the property. Ambience in the hotel was typically Scandinavian and the pool and fitness area was excellent.. The hotel has an interesting and extensive golf museum, and there is a good golf course close by.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

TV connection had a problem& kept cutting off every 1.5 mins but they tried to fix it; hot tub turned on only 1 time

Nice room with comfy bed, big buffet breakfast, nice indoor hot tub & pool with cozy atmosphere, good staff, ice machine in hall

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

My check in lasted 1 minute. No smile - no information on anything. The girl was annoyed when I told her that I left a message for a special touch as it was our anniversary celebration . Answer was: you get what you paid for ( 1100 Danish Kroner per night). I was stunned. Room ( with at parking lot view !) very small - walls are not isolated- soft beds - fluffy pillows - no slippers and no bathrobes are provided despite is a SPA Hotel. Check out was even worse: no farewell greetings and immediately calling the next on line like a supermarket. Staff definitely need a customer service course ASAP.

Hotel has a stunning view of the fjords shame the personnel. Breakfast was good and varied.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Lack of leadership, lack of customer orientation, unfriendly staff, bad quality of bed, very limited choice in the restaurant.

Some staff are really friendly, but most are absolutely not customer oriented and even unfriendly.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Asked for a quite room but was given room over the entrance - woken at 1.30am the first night with the sound of a lorry being unloaded! Awake for 2 hours!! Asked for a family room which was just a double room with a double sofa bed pulled out!! A lot more money for very little space! A real cheek!! I did mention it to the receptionist who wasn't interested in helping me! No offer to move rooms or apology!

Food tasted good although a la carte menu very small with only 3 options of main course and pudding. Buffet on first night was good with lots of options although the steak was horrible - both my mum and son said it tasted like rubber and was inedible!! Staff were just ok! Not great service and it took us 2 hours to be served a 2 course meal!!

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The lack of service, the food, the disorganized breakfast. This hotel lives on its reputation - it should wake up and get into the modern world.

The position, the view.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

lack of comfort in rooms sometimes due to late night guests noises, who either uses the casino or who sits in balcony drinking, smoking and chatting until 2 or 3:30 am.

Excellent location, good staff, good food.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Cold water at the pool, and not a gym.. Just couple stepper, runningmat and bike... Nothing sweet at breakfast for glutein free person. Our youngest son is glutein free person and everytime get so sad because older brother get all different sweet things at breakfast 😞

Lovely jogging forest just behind the Hotel.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

We were expecting a minibar in room but there was not one there.

Food was very nice. They provided washing machine and tumble dryer. Swimming pool was a nice Size and open late.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

no airco, broken safe, fridges/mini-bars removed from regular rooms

quiet location in the woods, free parking, friendly staff, decent beds, big bathroom, big TV, balcony, decent breakfast

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

a 4 star hotel should have an air conditioning. It was really really hot in the room. The restaurant had only one option - buffet that was quite expensive for adults and kids. We would have wanted just something small and simple but insted were forced to pay and eat a lot. No fitness facilities in the spa

The place was beatiful and the view stunning. Breakfast was good and kitchen staff very friendly to help with our food allergies. Playroom for kids.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Apart from location there was not much to be impressed about. We had no view and were put as far away from the reception/restaurant area, next to the rubbish bins with "miles" to carry our luggage.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

More of a 3 star feel, very vintage also in the decor and furnishings and restaurant for breakfast makes me think about school camp, beds too soft, pillows rubbish, swimming pool is good but water bit too cold for my taste compared to other 4 stars I have been to...noisy because of casino opened until 4am, no weights in gym, only cardio machines

Good wifi everywhere, breakfast just ok, good swimming pool even if very cold water, nice warm jacuzzis, gym good enough for cardio, lovely view from the terrace, good for dog walks

• Double or Twin Room with Fjord View

The room was very hot , no air condition.

Really soft bed.

Really comfortable hotel with nice swimming pool. Comfortable parking. Nice staff.

Weekend retreat

Nothing to dislike.

Excellent variety of quality food and very comfortable room. Reception and Bar Staff very friendly and efficient.

I had to live

Fabulous wow great staff breakfast Food in the restaurant fastistic; )

• Double or Twin Room with Fjord View

Very warm in corridors & room and too little ventilation. No airco

Location, beautiful views, nice facilities, friendly staff

Old outdated hotel, extreme expensive restaurant

Red bull revving their engine at 6.30 a.m and waking me up

• Luxury Double Room

Menu was limited for vegetarian options.

The architecture and furnishings were so true to era.

expensive drinks

Staff a bit stiff.

Facilities, location, food.

Great accommodation, the hotel restaurant was fantastic!

• Double or Twin Room

Little flies in the bathroom.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Det var lidt for ofte at der mangle juice, kaffe, tallerkener o.a. v morgenbuffeten.

All good - maybe a few more work-out tools in the gym

Cool hotel with a great and very pretty location - love the free washing machine!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Small Double Room

The location, the staff's friendliness. Excellent Tree Top restaurant of very high quality.

Bathtub in the room, mini bar and ice machine.

Location, the view and the surrounding area.

Beds- old windows

Breakfast- casino-view

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Expensive

Pool & Spa's

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The Price on booking.com was not correct.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Luxury Double Room

Nice menu and food excellent. Casino with very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room

lady in reception when arriving

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Fjord View

The check-out was already at 10:00 hrs. Otherwise you had to pay ekstra.

Surroundings The spa The view from our room

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

The room was hot.

Breakfast was good, spa was out of order, parking and location was fine.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Beds were a bit too soft for my taste.

Very nice breakfast. Nice restaurants overall.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The hotel lies in beautiful surroundings, and the staff is competent and polite

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Fjord View

We like the casino, food, room (everything!)

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Very nice breakfast. A lot of choice. Nice swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

Staff service, food, location

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Low capacity in restaurant. Had dinner in bar.

Good clean fasilities Good size rooms and adequate service

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Nice hotel in a beautiful place. Room was comfort and good facilities.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

nice place to stay, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Double or Twin Room

I booked a kingsize bed and got 2 single beds!

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

Not at all friendly to non-Danish speaking visitors. No tourist info in English at all. For the price I would have liked tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

The view is really beautiful over the water and took some lovely walks in the surrounding woods.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2016

Thin-walled rooms and therefore extremely noisy, first time visit but poor information on facilities nor great welcome.

Location must be beautiful on fjord, but unfortunately arrived late and departed early. Breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2015

Drinks and snacks etc are very expensive. Since no shops are nearby, this is an irritation.

Nice quite room, nice natural surroundings, nice "fit and relax" facility, good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2015

-Staff behavior at restaurant for dinner service -Cleanliness of swimming pool

-Great location, lovely view of Vejle fyord -Red (hard) and green (easy) walking paths in the forest -Friendly staff at reception -Breakfast

• Reviewed: 26 June 2015

My room was not clean and it had a cat smell all over ... even the curtains were hairy after a cat. When I asked for some help regarding the third bed I did not meet a welcoming attitude of the staff. After a long day at work, arriving late to the hotel I asked for a meal as it should be available until 11:30 ... the young willing to help waitress had to argue with someone in the kitchen to get me a meal.

A great location and a great architecture. Short distance to Vejle and a great location in the woods.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2016

No quick food options.

Excellent breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2016

The steam room was out of order

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Very good restaurant, Great breakfast

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

Super morgenmad. Super personale. Super spa område. Tak for upgrade.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2016

I got food poisoning at the restaurant!!! And was ill for 2 days afterwards.

View, setting.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2016

Nice place with great views

• Reviewed: 13 January 2016

slightly oldish rooms

Great restaurant (tree top)

• Reviewed: 6 January 2016

Great pool facilities, and several amazing on-site restaurants!

• Reviewed: 18 December 2015

Excellent location overlooking the fjord of Vejle. Nice room and excellent breakfast.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2015

The view is amazing. Free parking, which is rare at hotels in Denmark

There are also 41 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Munkebjerg Hotel traveller photo gallery