Reviews of Occidental Caribe - All Inclusive (former Barcelo Punta Cana) 4 stars

Carretera Arena Gorda, Bavaro, 10106 Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

#69 of 97 hotels in Punta Cana

I was supposed to have an ocean view room but the rooms was full I had to take the garden view

The food was AMAZING, the staff, I had a garden view room with a balcony, but everything went great .

Service in the Large Buffet (Food) Areas is the worst I have ever experienced at an All Inclusive Resort! There seems to be enough Staff but none to help find a table for you or even help clean a table, once one is found! With 3 Staff standing and watching, I ended up retieving my own utensils and napkins! Staff never offered coffee nor water. This is different in the Speciality Restaurants where you do get personal service. The Resort seems to be more "Self Service" than others, which is Okay if understood upfront!

One of the Best Locations along the Beach!

Even though it says it in the description when booking, there is no free WiFi so that was a bit challenging. Also, 12 USD a day for WiFi is pretty steep in my opinion.

The staff was very friendly, it was an enjoyable stay. The food was great, there was a huge selection to choose from and the bartenders was great as well. Beautiful views and overall it was a great stay

I reserved a superior room (ocean front) that was supposed to have two full beds and pull out couch. However, I was placed in standard room facing the pool and there was no pull out sofa. I know it was a standard room because my sister booked a standard room and our rooms looked exactly the same. Also, there was no Wi-Fi for free anywhere in the resort. I'm used to atleast the lobby having internet connection.

There was a restaurant open really late until 1am and the food was still pretty fresh.

The rooms were very old. Updates are desperately needed. Water pressure was ok but at least we always had hot water. The food was horrible. It's not truly all inclusive because if you order room service it's an extra charge. They only serve presidental beer, so that might be a bad selling point for many. Top shelf alcohol - absolute vodka. Jose tequila and Jim Beam bourbon.

Omar, a bartender at the main lobby bar was top notch. The theater performances were very fun, they aren't Broadway but for the location you are going to have a good time. The beach was very pretty and the pool was nice as well.

My room was dusty and had spider webs. The floors were never swept or mopped while we were there. The toilet broke twice while I was there. The phone didn’t work the first night. Also the room felt old and outdated.

The resort overall was nice. A lot of activities. Food was good. Staff was friendly.

Wifi and a lot of sellers at morning

we faced problems with my bathroom I haved to request more than 4 times fixed, we had a filtration in ceiling, no excuses was presented or something to make up for the issue . The Wifi is very limited and expensive, other customers that pay for it, they commented service is bad.

If you didn’t get to the Buffet right when it opens, the good stuff may be gone. The room smelled like wet clothes were in there for a long time. The bathroom floor was dirty.

There are multiple places to eat. The staff are really nice. You need to speak a little Spanish to communicate.

The WiFi suck make sure you get WiFi with your phone provider.Every ten mins I was signing into WiFi and only one person in your room can be signed on to the hotel WiFi at a time . If someone else in your room signs on , you will lose all service .On top of that once you left your room your WiFi connecting got worst The food was completely disgusting but one thing I can say the alcoholic drinks were good , they weren’t water down or anything.

The staff was very polite and friendly to Americans

clean, service was good except check in process takes too long. pool and beaches very nice. swim up bar was excellent. food was bland. Only one waitress to cover the beach and pool area was not enough.

During my stay, there was a group of spring breakers, and boy, they were loud all day, all night, on the 2nd night they were quieter, i think their staff where told that everyone was complaining.

Food was great

The checking process was badly organized. The food wasn’t that great, not what I expected. Some of the staff could have been more polite and more efficient in their job. We were suggested by the hotel staff (the guys outside) to go to a street mall right outside of the hotel for souvenirs and let me tell you I would not suggest anyone to go there. The locals hassle you and make you very uncomfortable, almost forcing you to purchase things that are completely over priced.

The location of the hotel is perfect, the beach is amazing, and there are always an abundance of beach chairs. The hotel itself is nice. The pools areas are very nice and big. The mojitos were good.

Food was horrible. Not enough variety. Been to other punta Cana resorts will almost better food and service. Entertainment was not as good as other places.

Very clean and well maintain facility and room.

The hotel was pretty noisy. The curtains in the room did not block out a lot of sunlight, so it was hard to get a good night's sleep.

The buffet - especially the ceviche!! The drinks were great - especially "Tom Collins".

WiFi is not free for the cost. Daily room cleaning timing is unacceptable. The shows are boring and the food choices could be better, less sugar items and more Dominican dishes.

The food, the grounds

• Superior Double Room - Ocean Front

I didn’t like that we didn’t get the room we paid for due to them saying they were out of rooms but I don’t understand if we had the room saved for almost 2 months with booking.com. They stuck us in a suite that had no ocean front view until the last day we had to keep wasting time to go to the front desk and argue to get the room we paid for. We paid so much for no reason, when we could of reserved a standard cheap room and got a better view and saved money. Also didn’t like that they round up whatever cash amount and then give you back less

I liked that the food staff was very helpful

There was a slight bit of noise coming from the revelers leaving the casino each night.

The entire experience was superb. The housekeeping staff eagerly worked with my girlfriend to prepare a surprise birthday presentation for me. The property was impeccable. The beach was awesome with plenty of room for the crowd of guests. The on-site office for outside excursions was very conveniently located.

• Suite Club Premium (2 adults + 1 Child)

The staff was not very helpful at all. We needed to contact staff every day by ourselves to receive an invoice. Also the room was not matching with the details of booking ( e.g. room size 365sqm), no really aim to make it a nice stay for us without any inconvenience

hotel location is fine & tidy, nice pools / beach side & some activities for kids.

Most of the front desk staff was rude. We did not get any info on what restaurants were open and their times. The food at the buffet was not good during the dinner. Breakfast was o.k.

The rooms nicely updated. The bed was very comfortable and the ac worked well. A few servers and cooks really stood out and gave us an exceptional experience. I think these are their names: keno-Cook, Pedro-server, all bartenders, Adegenes, Rafael-very helpful in the gym. Williamson, front desk. The Mexican restaurant was the best out of the ones we tried.

The food was ok, not all that good!

Everything was convenient. The resort is so clean and beautiful! The people are wonderful at this resort (all of them) and friendly!

Absolutely nothing that I didn't like about the property. Water pressure could have been stronger otherwise all was perfect.

Nice and clean with plenty of space not crowded. Loved the pool and beautiful views.

The rooms smelled of mildew..the casino was very small..and the "club" was dingy and smelled of old mop water. The buffet was really not that good.

The pools were great! Lots to do! The staff was wonderful! The restuarants were great!

The food could have been a lot better. I had hair in my food. I noticed a bee in the syrup on the buffet. The room was not as clean as it should have been. The air vent in the room had a strong mold smell.

The pool and beach areas are amazing! All the staff that I encountered were very nice. I also enjoyed the excursions.

Very bad food specially in the main dining room. Too many choices, none is edible. bad noise from the theater. none responsive desk staff. Some toilets are broken. broken chair in the room

Very nice facility, nice rooms. beautiful beach. good activity for children. Enough chais for every one on the beach and around the pools and in public areas

• Superior Double Room - Ocean Front

Food is bad specially at the buffet main restaurant. Too many choices none of which is good. cannot chew the meat

Beautiful facility, very nice beach, Enough chairs on the beach and around the pool and in public areas. enough shade on the beach and around the pools

Terrible food. You loose too much money because people fill their plates and none of it is edible, so they dump it and try something else. The meet could not be chewed or even cut with any knife. Fewer edible items is better. The front desk is difficult to deal with. They tell you that we will take care of something and they never do. The noise from the theater make it difficult to sleep. Sometimes the room dose not get cleaned if you wake up late

Beautiful property, beautiful beach, Enough chairs for every one on the beach and around the pools, nice pools and actions for children, many specialty restaurants

• Superior Double Room - Ocean Front

Premium room was above the buffet dining area. Got to hear clanking of dishes and silverware from 6:00 am until 11:00 pm or even longer. Staff working in that area were very loud during that same time frame. One night the noise lasted until after 1:00 am.

Ocean view was great.

There can be more improvments in the room, at the bathrooms to look more mordern. And the smell in the room from the walls is a little bit to strong, maybe from humidity. Overall it's more than acceptable.

Food, drinks and facilities. The beach is very clean, much nicer than other from RP.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

I am not picky, I was clean everyone is nice. How ever my house keeper was the best. Ana Hernández, she went out of her way in awesome attitude and professionalism. Thank you. Muchas Gracias Ana.

They were fixing a pool so there were workers and we didn’t have access to it which was a little annoying, but we had the beach and a second pool so it wasn’t that sad either.

It was such a beautiful beach! And I loved that they had activities all throughout the day. It was entertaining and fun. The food was to die for for sure!

My friend and I booked this hotel for a week long vacation. My friend checked in first and was shown to our room in which she found it was dirty!! The bed linen had stains and smelled funny and there were stains in the bathroom along with a massive puddle of water in the middle of the room! How can a hotel think this is acceptable is beyond me?! My friend complained and had to fight for a new room, the hotel thought this was an acceptable state of a room! The next day, in our new room our toilet wouldn't flush, I called reception 4 times and went down 2 times - nothing. The service to fix a problem was non-existent. Finally, 1 hour later someone arrived and put a new flush in and replaced our light as that also was broken! Then on to the pool view (which was non-existent) - they were repairing the pool and in the morning it was very noisy any time of day! At night, crashing plates and loud talking from the kitchen and then construction workers in the morning - a nice sleep wasn't a given here! In addition to this, I have to call out the RUDE staff at this hotel. I have never experienced such arrogant and rude hotel staff while staying in a hotel before. I asked for help with the ATM machine in the hotel in which the client service lady was rude saying it's broken and refused to get up and help. She said she will help me in 1 hour, when clearly she wasn't doing anything. We complained to the manager and then she pointed and rudely told me to come back in Spanish! Another incident was a waitress rudely telling us to move from a table of 6 people (in the empty buffet restaurant) we pointed out the place is table - in which she replied "yeah whatever" another told me I couldn't go into the buffet restaurant in my swimwear and cover-up (in which I always went in before!) Overall, this hotel was a disaster for us and made our stay unpleasant.

i didn't like the buffet lady attendant because I asked her for a straw and she directed me to the bar out side the buffet dinning room instead of providing me with one. Whether they just don't offer their customers straws or she was just slacking I didn't appreciate it. Also although the bars in the lobby close at 1 am when ever I would ask for a mojito past a certain time they said it was no longer available. there was always a puddle in front of my room. Also they could be better at making staff cleaning up after guest around the pool area there is constantly garbage around.

I liked that on the resort beach they had a lot of water activities. You do have to pay extra but its worth it.

CHECK IN: We arrived at 1400. Could NOT check in until after 1600. Booking.com stated 1500. They were trying to move us to another property and split the 5 rooms that I had booked. We eventually figured it out. BREAKFAST: Lots t o offer but severely bland food. Need to spice things up. Lots of staff but they seem to be walking around then actually helping guests. Had to go pick up my own utensils, tea etc on numerous trips. But we were ok with this as long as they don't expect tips after. RESTAURANTS: The on site places to eat have to be booked on the day itself. That's silly. Other All inclusive lets you book in advance so that you can plan your day. Wish they change this.

Big property with an attempt to offer a lot. They have potential but they are NOT utilizing it. since it was a golf trip with the lads, we were content with the services and what they had to offer. I will not visit this place if I was with my family. I will pay extra to stay elsewhere.

The room was dirty and extremely hard to find. There was construction everywhere which made relaxation nearly impossible. The water pressure in the bathroom sucked. None of the restaurants were included in the "all inclusive" package. And they hassled us about not having a reservation and the restaurant was empty.

The beach was great.

The state of the bedroom. Although it was recently repainted (there was paint left on the furniture) there was mold pretty much everywhere, stains on the sheets and bathtub and a broken mirror. Also, it was hard to find. The directions aren't very clear. The buffet was mediocre.

The beach was stunning. There's a lot of bars and the drinks are good. It offered a wide variety of activities.

the shops in the hotel were tooo expensive malls were to far away no shuttlebus .

The bed was very comfortable the food had extended choices the pools were great we had a great time

The shower head wouldn't turn on, and toilet had plumping issues. Phone would not work and WiFi was very spotty and you had to pay extra for it. There were also roaches and the food was nasty. I wouldn't stay here again. The only thing this place has going for it is the pool and beach view.

The location is great. Pool and beach are very clean and nice.

I know they were mid repair from hurricane season so it was very dirty. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had to pay for wifi which is crazy to me in this day and age. The food left much to be desired. That is my take away from our first stay 10/17-10/19. We didn't even get to stay here on this date 10/23. They didn't have enough rooms so they sent us to the other occidental. No discount for the inconvenience or anything. Food was worse there. But the layout of the resort was better.

The resort was completely under construction and there was rubble and dust all over the place. I couldn't even walk on the path to get to my room because of the rubble on the ground. Our room was completely filthy and there were bugs everywhere. I was very thankful that I only booked this resort for one night because if I had reserved it for longer I would not have stayed one night.

It took the front desk staff an hour just to check us in when we arrived. The food was terrible. Worst food I've ever ate in my life. All of the restaurants were closed except for the buffet and it was almost not even edible. The hotel was very dirty. Sheets were stained, bathtub was disgusting, sink had stuff crusted on it, and I saw 2 gigantic cockroaches in the hallway. Will never stay here again. I would give this place a 1 star review only because the beach is nice, however when I answer the questions asked by the review it automatically says that the lowest rating I can give is a 2.5. Definitely not worthy of 2.5 stars. Invest your money elsewhere.

There was nothing we liked about this place. The only thing going for it is the nice beach and the unlimited alcohol. You have to take advantage of the alcohol to be able to tolerate how dirty it is and the terrible food.

Buffet food was awful. Need more regular drinks to choose from and bigger cups. The property was under construction. Horrible. Woke up at 5:00 am to DRILLING! It was just awful.

I enjoyed literally everything from bedroom to the service, from food to the whole facility, the beach, the staff they are very pleasant and always there to help you with anything...the restaurants even though we just went to the dominican and french one, but they are great....we loved absolutely everything...at the end we didnt want to leave.

since the resort is going thru some renovations is kinda dirty and you wont be able to walk freely because some of the buildings are closed. drinks are not as good as they were before and food was good only one day. we had to make reservations aon a restaurant. Disco DJ was a mess, they had one guy but as soon as the other guy stepped in people walked out. we went there for 2 birhtday celebrations and i was expecting them to put the welcoming sign at the door (the one that says happy birthday) but it never arrived (this was something i indicated on the special instructions when i was doing the reservation. for some reason they could not let our driver go thru until we had to call since they had him stop at the front place for like 40 minutes. the resort bracelet are made of a material that can cause bruises or cut your skin. Also at one time on our stay we were not able to get water since they closed the water line for like 1 hour.

Check in was fast and food was good. Party at the pool was something new and was good.

The hotel was under construction (remodeling) so there was dust in every single corner of the hotel, specially in the room, that smelt like dust and humidity. The lunch at the buffet was not very good. The beach was really dirty but it was expected due to the 2 recent hurracaines.

The restaurants (at dinner time) were fine, the breakfast at the buffet was very good. The staff was very friendly.

some staff could be little friendlier, wi-fi should not be payed, the rooms should be updated

food was perfect, rooms were spacious, entertainment is great, beach is very nice

I didn't like that I requested towels for my room over 4 times and they took an entire day to finally bring them. I also didn't like that my shoes were stolen while on the beach.

I liked that everything was all inclusive and that the beach was walking distance. The food was delicious and seasoned well.

The fact that the public transportation does not reach the hotel and from the bus stop to the facility I had to pay 20 U.S dollars. Too much for such a short drive.

• Suite Club Premium (2 adults + 1 Child)

The food could have been a lot better. Our room and furnishings were totally worn and outdated.

The whole property was amazing. Beautiful beach, beautiful pools.

• Suite Club Premium

The Property inside the hotel was great just the rooms where very out dated bathroom was disgusting our shower door was falling apart we supposedly had a Jacuzzi in our premier suite but there was no way to turn it on we had other suite which had a roach in both room we got change sofabed was broken but the staff inside was great especially pool bartenders food wasnt great but eatable.

• Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The bathroom was disgusting. I took lots of pics of this horrible place! The amount charged was not worth the one night stay. I thank god i booked only for one night although i wish i would have ran out the same day. The bathroom was gross, i caught an allergic reaction the next day on my arm and told the front desk all the guy said was ok!

There was nothing there to like! I will never recommend this place nor go back!!!!

• Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

the check in and the check out bad customer service the girls where mean to us. but I noticed they had favoritism with americans

I like the show and the staff at the pool Doroteo excellent

BREAKFAST! There's a line for any sort of eggs and the selection was kinda poor. Also took forever to get coffee, recommend ordering that at the bars.

Jeremi, the sports bar bartender was the man! The water in both the pool and ocean were fantastic. Staff for the most part was very friendly and understanding. Food available 24/7 was our favorite part.

It was a rough start and we had to switch our rooms because the first one wasn't ready

The beach, the food given at any time of the day and the helpfulness of those who worked there

It was extremely difficuly to get towels in your room. When we arrived there were none in the room. I went to the front desk to ask for towels and they said they would have them delivered to our room...the towels never arrived.

The buffet had something for everyone. The resort itself is huge. You would think everything would feel crowded but it never felt like it. The staff was really nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Too much noise! Music blaring constantly. Everything worked very smoothly, but when we had one request, such as leaving luggage for one night longer (after a 10 day stay with a wedding party of over70 people) there was very little willingness to accommodate. Long waits, lots of shoulder shrugging. Not impressed with that.

Amazingly well organised. Everything works like clockwork. Great beach. Wonderful palms, nice breeze.

• Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

If you don't speak Spanish you will not feel comfortable, because 98% of the guess are Spanish. There were not a lot of Americans or Europeans there. So if you are going as a couple it's a nice hotel, but if you go with single friends and don't speak Spanish you will be out of luck..

The pool, beach and restaurants

The service was bad. Hardly anyone could speak English. I requested to have the room decorated and was told it will be done when I got to the room it was no decoration at all. I also slipped and fell in the tub from conditioner pump being broken and constantly leaking which I did not notice and it was a lot of conditioner sitting in the tub. A lot of the food was very salty, me and my sister was sick throwing up for an entire day. This was her birthday trip and I'm very disappointed

The food from some restaurants was good.

Check in was a nightmare, arrived 2 hours after check in time and overheard someone talking about overbooking. Lobby area was extremely hot and we had to stand during the wait. What about getting a number and wait seated for the number to be called, while staff comes by and offer you refreshments?

Staff was attentive. The property was clean.

Housekeeping would come early (before 8:30), while we were still sleeping, and didn't come back. We went our whole stay (4 nights) without new towels and changed sheets. We had to track down housekeeping to get fresh towels. If we had asked for them to come back, I'm sure they gladly would have, but I guess I feel like we shouldn't have had to.

Room was perfectly comfortable, but we didn't spend much time in it, other than to sleep. The grounds are gorgeous, the pools are amazing, the beach is beautiful, the bars and restaurants are delicious and fun. Always something to do. We were there for a wedding and all of that was perfect as well. Ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, dance floor, DJ, drinks - all flawless.

No towels in the room, a lot of old sheets, discusting odor around the room not worth it the price.

No service to the rooms, very poor cooperation of the staff, they talk to you like you are doing a favorite to them.

The fact that my trip was so short but we made the most out of it.

I loved the fact that I was offered so much for the great deal that I found. I would definitely recommend and book this hotel again.

• Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

the hotel is already very old and worn.The moment we entered the first room we were surprised.We waited for about 2 hours we went to the ready room and called.Used pillows and covers, even if there was no blemish. Bed linen was stained. There was powder everywhere. Completely bathroom was a nightmare. The sand in the tub, hair was full of shampoo residue. Places have not been swept and was filled with hair. And we went all the way across the world were devastated. Hygiene never have.A wide variety of customer quality. I think there was a school camp for us when we were there.Everywhere was filled with teenage students. Was awful. I don't remember how many times I went to guest services and explained the situation. I'd say it's your money shame.

I must tell the truth. Literally everything sucked. The only thing that's beautiful was the sea and the sand.

Checkin was a nightmare! Took forever. Staff not supportive. Found a hair on my food at the Mexican restaurant and when I mentioned that to the manager he said: It happens Sir, but it's not from my staff. Horrible experience.

The hotel to check in is not very organized and have very long wait times since they don't have up to date systems. Plus not all the staff is educated.

Decent resort. Nice but nothing out of this world. The buffet was ok. The restaurants you need to reserve daily are really good though especially the Dominican food one.

• Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Rooms do not get cleaned everyday. Being on the beach, your floors get very sandy!

The Buffet was plentiful! The pools are huge and the beach is beautiful!

• Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The food in the buffet is really bad and always repeat the same menu.bad service in changin food. They put the new food over the old one. This can cause contamination of crossed food. And personal on the guest service in very bad and rude .

I like the people who are in the entertainment. Dj jose, the Robert movie,and the people in the bar.Good job. They make spectacular shows.The better in the hotel.

THE ABSOLUTE WORST RESORT. DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS: • You like waking up every hour between 11 pm and 6 am to people screaming, drunk right outside your door. • You like to wake up to vomit outside your room and all over the property. • You like to be treated horribly by incompetent, uncompassionate, unprofessional staff. • You like dirty rooms with stained sheets, upholstery, unhygienic bathrooms, rusty appliances and safes/clocks/phones that don’t work. This place is a small piece of hell on earth. Everyone was the exact opposite of hospitable, extremely rude, refused to help and the male staff basically sexually harassed us at every moment they got. After much negotiation with booking.com and Occidental they agreed to refund us the two nights we spent in the disgusting room only to say they never said that although booking.com had recorded conversations. They give you the run around when trying to ask even the simplest questions. The service was so appalling I will never stay at a Barceló/occidental property again and have honestly been left with a horrible perception of Punta Cana. I wish I could make my review a zero.

The beach

We had a huge argument when we arrived because you (booking.com) had emailed me and stated that there would be no extra charge for me to have two children with me rather than one adult. They made me pay 60USD per night so 240USD extra for my one son. I was not happy and they made me pay there on the spot. They would not allow me to pay at the end of the trip. Both my husband and I emailed you about this and did not receive any response or help with the situation. We were not impressed with booking.com or Occidental Caribe Hotel.

Pools and beaches

The food was terrible including the restaurant, they had the same Breakfast , Lucnh & Dinner, the food tasted very bad, didn't had any seasoning, the vegetables looked like it was made from the previous day, it was terrible.

I like the attentiveness of the employees, very friendly, but I didn't like the food it was bad, every day the food was the same thing, breakfast, lunch, & dinner and tasted very badly, I wouldn't recommend this property. I visit this property about 4 years ago and it was excellent, but I' really disappointed the resort doesn't provide wide five for the guest but 4 years ago it was freed I don't know what happened to this resorts, but I tell you one thing with God's will I won't be staying at this resort.

Satisfied 100%

Food and Drinks Excellent .All inclusive meant All inclusive. LOTS Of Entertainment for All ages and the beaches we're beautiful. Stayed Ocean Front without requesting.Definitely recommend and planning to go back.Ran out of time before running out of things to do.Staff was also great and very friendly and attentive to guest. Great Experience for first time in Punta Cana

Rooms need to be better. The hotel is 4 stars but rooms only 3. And personal who clean rooms don't really try to clean perfect.

The hotel is very big and convinient. It has 2 beautiful pools and many bars and restaurants. The personal are trying to be frendly. 9 from 10

Check in took over 3 hours - no remorse whatsoever the buffet food was terrible- breakfast was in edible. Screaming kids everyday - was all inclusive but room service was chargeable (even for the simplest of foods) - floating bits in juice and always too sweet and artificial - overall mess.

The bed was comfortable and great dancers at theatre show those were the only things I liked.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

The A/C wasn't too cool

Beautiful scenery.... Food great. Ocean breath taking. Resort kept up very clean. Even though the resort was fully booked, it was not crowded. Great atmosphere

The only thing the fridgurator was broke took 2 days to get it fixed

To to be honest it was an amazing time first vacation I have taken in 10 years I would go back. The staff was amazing

I had no towels in my room or any hygiene products what so ever, had to wait till 5am to take a shower and then get to bed, ridiculous

The staff was great