Reviews of Catalonia Royal Bavaro - All Inclusive - Adults Only 5 stars

Playas de Bavaro, Cabeza de Toro, 71450 Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

#13 of 97 hotels in Punta Cana

• Superior Junior Suite

The lobster night was not worth it. The only thing we paid more for but the quality was not good.

Selection of food and drinks was broad. Staff were really attentive and friendly.

• Superior Junior Suite

This was my 3rd time here. Me and my boyfriend love this place!! The food is amazing, the staff are so polite and always remembers us each year. This time we got the room with the infinity pool. Perfect!!!

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

The beach area was not very clean due to the season period of end of April

The relaxing atmosphere, perfect service and availability for any kind of requests. A real adult only area where everything is well managed, bar and restaurants are wonderful and various with all needed tastes

• Superior Junior Suite

The beach at the resort is not great due to the seaweed, but honestly the resort is huge we do not have enough time to spend time in there. Close beaches in the Caribbean side are close and those are perfect.

The service, the food and beverages! Great experience in this hotel, we were in our honeymoon and everything was perfect. Staff is great! Thanks so much to the great people we met there that made our experience so much better! Jean, Angelina, Obispo, Carlos at the Pool Bar! Thank you. Great options in food with different restaurants, everything was delicious. Clean rooms, with room service available 24/7.

• Superior Junior Suite

The food was not excellent..I rate the food 5 -10.

The staff was attentive.. Jaycee , Os parie Angelina at Thalsa Restaurant The bartenders at Sea blue were all excellent they made us feel welcome..Cecilia was an excellent server.. She has a warm beautiful smile.. The entertainment at the other hotel ( the family side) is excellent! Every night after dinner, we go dancing.. The music was excellent!! Salsa, merengue, Reggaeton , Etc....

Golf course, food, drinks

Overall the resort was a B- in rating. It’s a very beautiful hotel. The down sides include food, drinks, and activities. Although the food was pretty bad there were some places on the resort that served “Okay” food. The Dominican Chicken at Sea Blue Grill was great. The burgers are good on the resort as well. Breakfast was okay. The Japanese Grill on the Family side of the resort was good. The people are kind, minus one incident at the Sea Blue Grill where the waitress was rude to me and my husband. The drinks are all bottom shelf alcohol. I couldn’t drink that cheap liquor. The drinks are better on the family side. Our room was beautiful except the shower light was out and the jacuzzi tub did not plug. We set through a 2 hour presentation and was offered to join a club for 26k up front. The massages were great... except there was no questionnaires about health risk and the massage therapist broke my birth control implant in my arm. We came here for golf but the course was barely beautiful and the cost to play runs a pretty nickel. It’s suggested that you bring your own golf clubs and balls. You’ll pay $20 for 3 golf balls here! And if you need more it’s really $20 for 3 balls each time. As far as the activities go it was pretty boring. Most of the activities on the resort were workout schedules. That’s working out in the heat??!! However, the excursion with the cars and cave was cool. Parasailing was fun as well. And they accept only card or charge to your room. But you can pay cash for the charges to your room when you check out. Would I return??? Probably not. But overall it was a nice resort.

• Superior Junior Suite

We got upgraded to a better room category but had to change room because of a generator noise. We got the most quiet nice room immediately which we enjoyed very much. The waiters are excellent, attentive, friendly, very service oriented. The menues at the different restaurants are great, the food portions have the right size. Also the Thalassa restaurant with the buffet in the morning is very well organized, despite of many people eating there. There are two very nice and clean pools. We preferred the beach area which was well maintained and quiet. What we would like to recommend is to be able to change into smaller dollar/ euro bills to be able to tip the staff more often.

• Superior Junior Suite

The only thing I wish they had more was typical Dominican food. I'm from the Dominican Republic and I have been living in the United states for 20 years. I was hoping to get more local foods and dishes, I miss that. That was the only thing I did not like.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro; it was a great Resort. The staff were so friendly and very helpful. Julissa helped me with my check-in and she was great at explaining all what the Resort has to offer. The servers at the restaurants, the bars; were excellent. The staff at the Spa were so nice and friendly; my partner and I enjoyed the massage by the beach. I highly recommend this Resort to anyone that wants to have a great relaxing vacation. Loved it.. The entertainment staff was great as well. I love the parties at the beach, so much fun.

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

I have arrived about midnight - no welcome drink. Awful beach!!! The beach is enclosed with a barrier, yellow-green waters are full of seaweeds no matter how deep. The beatiful ocean is very far away. The thermostat of ACondition was broken. The staff is friendly but hardly speaks English. Average food. Tiny gym. The hotel is pretty overpriced. I had to move to another hotel in the middle of my holidays.

- beautiful territory - nice swimming pool area, yoga and puddle classes

• Superior Junior Suite

2-story suites with own pool need renovations! They need more modern and newer furniture.

Excellent service and excellent, beautiful resort! Definitely exceeded my expectations after paying such a good price, and esp when compared to what other resorts cost. I stayed at a junior suite and also a 2-story suite with my own pool. Both excellent accommodations. However, i must say i loved the modern and chic style of my newly renovated Jr suite. The fancy suite actually needed renovations. Beds are extra comfy. Bathrooms are very nice and always clean. Very attentive and friendly staff but yet not annoying or invasive. Just an awesome experience overall. Oh, lastly, I strongly recommend staying at the adults-only side of their resort (if not traveling with kids/teenagers) and you'll have access to both sides, but of course, that's my personal preference.

• Superior Junior Suite

My husband and I enjoyed our holiday very much. We didn’t want to leave at the end of our two week holiday. We liked the beach area, calm sea, pools, restaurants and cocktails 😊 Staff members were friendly too. Colour scheme of staff costumes were interesting. The sister hotel had good shops with reasonable prices. Overall, great memorable holiday 👍

• Superior Junior Suite

It was nice that we had the experience to eat at the other resorts next to us but the food was average.

The staff were amazing! Everyone seemed to have a great mood. Whatever we needed they made sure it was done and would checked to make sure we were satisfied. I really enjoyed my stay!

• Superior Junior Suite

Kitchen should ask weather you want condiments!

The eggs were good. Fruits were good. Did not like local bread...it gets hard quick. Didn’t like sausage.

• Superior Junior Suite

On arrival, we decided to upgrade to a room with a small pool for 500 USD (which was not offered to us but we had to ask for this possibility seeing the sign for different upgrade options). However, the AC was broken it that building (villa no. 40) and it was freezing (16 degrees celsius) in the room. The only solution they offered was to shut down the AC and open balcony doors... Which is unacceptable even for one night due to humidity and air quality. It took the staff four hours to find us a solution for the first night. We changed rooms four times in total that night, as one of the options offered had the same AC issue and in another room I got a severe electric shock when plugging in my adapter (villa no. 18). We ended up spending the night in villa no. 19, which is very old an worn down compared to villas 40 and above. I would not recommend staying in villa 18 or 19 for the same value as 40 and above, the difference in quality is remarkable. It is indeed a bit shady that for the same amount of money you might either end up spending your vacation in a lovely, clean, fresh room or a worn down shack. The resort really needs to upgrade its older villas. The next morning we changed to a room in villa no. 42, which was wonderful. Our stay started in a horrible way though, with no apologies or understanding from the front desk staff. We had been traveling for 24 hours to get there, paid more to be upgraded, and ended up having to argue with the staff to get a decent room where AC works and the electric system is not life-threatening(!). The rest of our stay was lovely. I would have expected a bit more quality and taste for the food, can really only recommend the Royal side restaurants (Tapas place and Thalassos for dinner). Wines included in the All Inclusive packages were disgusting, we paid for decent wine when we wanted to enjoy a good meal. Staff, especially in reception, seemed very apathetic and did not seem to understand the concept of quality customer...

The location is beautiful. I loved the attention to detail and the design of the resorts. The beach is breathtaking with white sands and turquoise waters - staff clean the beach each morning, we only had one day with lots of seaweed (it was a very windy day). Beach chairs are comfortable, drinks are excellent. Pool area by the beach is wonderful. Many fun activities available, my husband enjoyed golfing in the nearby two courses. Most of the staff at restaurants/bars/beach very friendly and smiley. All in all, we had a lovely, relaxing stay.

• Superior Junior Suite

The beach is not nice vs the other Punta Cana resorts. It is shallow and full of algue

Exceptionally well trained staff always smiling despite very long shifts/shirt breaks between shifts. The quality of the offer vs the hotel next door(same group). The à la carte orders vs the buffet in other places where too much food is wasted.

• Superior Junior Suite

The resort exceeded my expectations!! It was my birthday celebration and we asked for a bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival. Not only they did that, but had a “Happy bday” sign at the door, a lovely card and fresh fruits to accompany the bottle. The resort is well taken care, the restaurants excellent , the variety of a la carte menu awesome!!! The service is top notch. We had a fantastic and lovely weekend. Cannot wait to go back!! If you want a relaxing time with your couple, quiet and no loud music, this is the place.

• Privileged Exclusive Suite

Don't bother going over to the neighboring resort to eat or drink. The restaurants and bars on the other side of the resort are inferior and even the quality of the wine/liquor that they serve is not the same. We thought this after a night spent in the "Family" section, only to have it confirmed by one of the bartenders at the Adults only area. Also, the rooms could use a little better upkeeping - wall paper stained, or in some cases - even peeling. If they want to call it luxury, then make it luxurious!

We had one of the privileged rooms that came with a private pool, and this was wonderful! Also, each of the restaurants in the adults only section were good, and it was not a problem to get a table.

• Privileged Exclusive Suite

No hot water, we had to call three times almost everyday for clean wash cloths/rags, maid was very rude. Cooler in room not cold enough. At the food shack no ice so sodas were flat. They gave us a ice bucket but no ice machine was near us,

Everyone at the service desk were excellent.

• Privileged Exclusive Suite

The restaurants in the part of the resort that allows children were not good at all! Stick to the Adults only area to eat and drink in.

The property was nice and the rooms very comfortable. The adults only section is really the only area worth while.

• Superior Junior Suite

The food was not good at all. The restaurants are very scare to choose from. The resort allows smoking everywhere- which is great for smokers but not so much for non smokers. The staff expects tips which isn't necessarily a bad thing we just weren't use to it with experience from other resorts that won't allow tips. The food was awful- we had to leave the resort to find some decent food. The pools closed so early for it to be an adult resort but are nice when they are open. The activities are limited so if you're looking for anything other than relaxation, excursions may be necessary.

The room was very accommodating. The bed was a little hard but still very comfortable. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was nice. We enjoyed the Jacuzzi tub that was in the room although it was not clean. The staff was amazing and so nice. The breakfast at Thalassa was o.k but there were often flies around so you have to quick.

• Superior Junior Suite

The water did not stay hot too long in the shower but it wasn’t a big issue. Also the ocean water where the resort is located isn’t the cleanest.

The staff was AMAZING and so helpful

• Superior Junior Suite

Everyone in the staff was very attentive and smiling. Food and breakfast was delicious. The two main, indoor restaurants served higher quality food than we expected! We had the Juniorsuite Superior room (the standard room) in third floor facing the back, and it was great. We loved the bathtub in the room and the hammock on the balcony (super for reading of a good book in the sunset)

• Superior Junior Suite

The staff was super available. They accommodated our request of a two separate beds instead of a king size without questions. They welcomed us with rum bottle and fresh fruit and offered us a special dinner with lobster. I cannot find the name of one of the managers that especially took care of our special dinner on the beach, but he was extremely caring. All the restaurants have amazing food and the margarita bar at the pool is just what you need for your holiday. We had dj playing on the beach one night and we decided last minute to arrange an excursion to the Caribbean.. well the concierge immediately found us a spot for the day after and for a price cheAper than what proposed to us on internet or other agencies. I would definitely recommend this venue.

• Superior Junior Suite

The staff is just okay, you always have the feeling they are looking for tips... And you can see a clear difference with the person that tips them so it just doesn’t encourage you to do so. Stay away from the “maravilloso” staff they will piss you off and try to sell you things with a vacation package for 20000$ and instead of the hour and half tour, they will waste 3,5 hours of your precious time.

• Superior Junior Suite

pool not heated. very cool when rainy&windy. need more indoor activities for inclement weather. should provide microwaves in room. bathrooms little small.

close to the airport. next door to casino, shops&cinema. nice private beach area. very quiet& relaxing. beautiful spa. comfortable beds. very accomodating. great for couples.

• Superior Junior Suite

In the reception people are chasing you trying to sell you either a membership in the Excelllence club or to take you on tourist tours. I didnt enjoy every time I had to pass by, I had to say NO at least twice. The person trying to sell us the Excellence club membership lied to us saying that the breakfast area was full (not true) so they invited us for a VIP breakfast and then they were going to make a presentation of the benefits of becoming a member for this E club and it would take total of 90 minutes. We lost nearly 3 hours while the sun was shining and it was our second last day so it was very frustrating and upseting. I didnt like the fact that all the sun beds are ¨booked¨ by placing a towel and either you go at 7am to book one or your chances of having one are very slim.

Great relaxed area compared to the ¨Cat Bavaro¨ and the restaurants have a better food than the other one. Really nice at night.

• Superior Junior Suite

The room we stayed in was very nice and roomy, but some maintenance is really due. Bathroom door will fall of it´s hinges soon if left unattended and the front door required a very solid slamming (sometimes several) to stay shut. The salesmen trying to sell membership in the travelers club were a bit of a nuisance too.

The friendly staff, the cleanliness, the food, just about everything was perfect.

• Superior Junior Suite

I did not like the fact that most of the staff was not bilingual. Most only spoke Spanish and no English at all

The property is beautiful and very clean. Luxury feel

• Privileged Exclusive Suite

Worst hotel in the Caribbean. It started off from day one, we arrived before 3 to check in at 3, we were told that our suite was not ready for another 30 mins, having paid for our stay a lot of money we would of expected to check into our suite on time. The first night we called the room service to get some pineapple juice but we were told that they can not offer any juiced for room service and that we had to walk to the piano bar which is 10 mins away from the suite, I find this disgraceful as we were premium guests this didn't feel like premium treatment. On our second night the room was cleaned and my wife's private hypoallergenic pillow was stolen by one of cleaners, my wife is allergic to any other material so we had to go to the pharmacy and spend our own money for medicine whilst my wife was suffering instead of enjoying the vacation, it took them 2 days to find the pillow and they even asked us to pay for the taxi to send it back to us, this was a health matter but but they didn't care just took their time, and we had to speak to them 25 times every time telling we're looking into it. Now let's get to the food the resort has 8-9 restaurants and you'd expect for the food to be really good for a 5 star resort but now everywhere you go the food was shocking bad like I wouldn't let my little puppy eat this, horrible absolutely horrible, this the seaweed at the beach tasted better. One of the days the room service didn't come until 9 pm after having called 7 times during the day to get the suite cleaned and when they did some, no clean towels were left and the fridge was still empty and not re stocked with new snacks and every day we didn't have new shower gels, yet again we had to call to request them. In the premium suite the tub was broken, they managed to get an engineer out after 6 calls from us. Also we heating was broken on on of te nights agin after 6 calls they managed to fix it.

• Superior Junior Suite

Pool pizza place: you need to dress up to eat there, but the rule applies for some people but not for others. (Annoying).

Food was excellent in the Thalassa Restaurant. Great service and help from the Room Service team of José Soriano, Victor Urbaes and Michael Polanco. Very helpfull Ambrosia and Cristina from the Thalassa. The beach is perfect, don't pay attention to those who say that there is too much seaweed. It's normal to have a strip of it after the high tide in the beach. The pool was always clean. The weather in January is perfect.

• Privileged Exclusive Suite

Initially we had booked a suite with pool , the ones that are 2 floor apartments but when we got the room a strong smell if humidity was all around. We asked the manager to check and after he realised the issue we had offered a smaller suite with the option to get a same suite next day. As we were staying just for 3 days we refused changing again so additionally we were offered a spa and a Romantic dinner. Even in the 2nd suite the humidity smell was there but not so strong. So i suppose that this is a general issue for the resort. Staff was in general rude and NO ENGLISH SPEAKING . Just 1 out of ten could hardly communicate in English witch is strange The worst thing was the food. We tried every restaurant in the resort and the food was terribly bad. As the resort is an all inclusive we had no other choice so that spoiled our vacation. As an example We got a Club sandwich with the bread Not Toasted !!! (Never seen it again) The beach is amazing with white sand and trees but the water not good for swimming so we preferred the pools.

The resort is beautiful and the surrounding area really great . We enjoyed swimming at the pools and look at the amazing surround with trees and white sand. The villas are nice and offer much space for accommodation

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite (3 Adults)

The food was plentiful and there was variety. We had a few “language barrier “ challenges with ordering but we laughed it off & had no worries.

We enjoyed mother /daughter time. I recommend the privileged status as the check in/out was seamless. The concierge staff were all extremely accommodating. We especially want to thank Jennifer for her friendly check in welcome. The pools were nice & clean. There were plenty of chairs & towels. Pool side service was attentive & friendly. The beach was quiet & relaxing. There were plenty of activities and the staff did not pressure or annoy you to participate.

• Superior Junior Suite

I did not like the lack of entertainment. There were no daily announcements mentioning the daily activities ( which were far and few) and they will try to get you to buy into their exclusive member program for 10-20yrs!! A huge turn off!

The atmosphere was romantic and great for older couples simply wanting to relax.

• Superior Junior Suite

There are 3 big issues (at least for me): 1. Wi-fi does not work at all in 50% cases and it's extremely poor in the other 50% cases (like in 1-2 * hotels) 👎 2. There is no bidet in the bathroom and there is only one sink 👎 3. They haven't heard of HD TV 👎. Any channels (even from US like HBO) in such quality like we are in 1985! All that is a shame for a hotel that poses itself as 5* luxury hotel.

Very good food variety especially for the breakfast and the dinner. Rather less than average lunch food variety. Very nice and spacious rooms and the hotel property itself. The beach with a lot of corral riffs and all kinds of beautiful fish including a lot of different moray eels, smaller rays and stingrays, lobsters, few snakes and octopuses (if you are into snorkeling). Just take a bottle with soaked bread with you.

• Superior Junior Suite

Staff not speaking much English. Being served a lot by staff who were training. Slow service for a simple cup of coffee - which was luke warm all the time.

The Asian restaurant. The sushi bar on the beach. The golf courses: both the 9 and 18 holes.

• Superior Junior Suite

The beach could be more beautiful.

I really have to point out that the stuff were always happy and super friendly. In addition the food was really delicious. I will go back onetime.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Superior Junior Suite

There are lots of food choices. Staff was very friendly and good customer service overall. The room was cleaned twice a day. The beach was also clean. I would definitely recommend to other people

• Superior Junior Suite

The beach had a lot of seaweed. Unfortunately this is an issue which can't be solved by the hotel, but there were other beaches on the island which did not have seaweed.

The food was great and I really enjoyed he activities in the hotel.

• Superior Junior Suite

The Casino closed the roulette table even when it had 4+ people looking to play (and this was at 22:30, which since the Casino opens at 19:00, is ridiculous). The woman who was running the table at that time was extremely rude about it too, and that's just unnecessary. Several game tables were closed, and if this is an all-inclusive resort with a supposedly fully-functioning casino, they should keep their promise. Also, the service and dinner (yes, dinner, not diner) in the Catalonia lobby general restaurant (forgot the name) were not good. Breakfast was the only good meal at the Catalonia lobby restaurant, but the table service at the Catalonia lobby restaurant was awful consistently (I used to be a waiter in college and rarely complain about service, so this is saying a lot coming from me).

The restaurant menus and buffet on the Royal side were excellent -- the Thalassa and Cata Tapa served exquisite food with great service that merits its place at a 5-star resort. The dinning and shows at the restaurant by the beach, next to the Thaslassa / Cata Tapa was also very, very good. The bar tenders at the beach were lovely people, always singing and chatting with guests, while serving delicious drinks that you can have made specially for you (e.g. I ordered a Bloody Mary once and it was delicious). Apart from the culinary aspects, the hotel has a lot of charm with beautiful fauna and flora.

• Superior Junior Suite

Very little beach area.....communication with staff was next to impossible for English speaking. .....had to switch rooms due to no AC.....food quality was mediocre at best....lack of information regarding restaurants at check in , created issues

Pool area and outside bar staff.....Daniel at bar was excellent

• Superior Junior Suite

The check-in took around 2 hours! And we arrived 4 hours after the original check in hour- no reson the room wouldn't be ready.

The staff, the facilities and the food are very good

• Superior Junior Suite (3 Adults)

The food

Awesome customer service ! From checking to checking out. I’m still shocked by how nice the staff were. They go above and beyond to ensure all our needs were met. The only negative was the food. It was okay ! Nothing to go crazy over . Great place !!!!

• Superior Junior Suite

Certain paths were flooded and created a slight inconvenience. Restaurants could offer a little more variety.

Room 3308 was spectacular. The view, the private pool, the Jacuzzi, and the ambiance were all amazing. Management was very attentive and accommodating.

• Superior Junior Suite

The rooms have some moldy smell but wasnt very bothering, the cleanliness in the bathroom was not excelent but after we told the staff all was fixed very eficiently In our first days we didnt know the restaurants proper etiquete so at lunch we went in a swimsuit without cover-up in the blue sea restaurant and didnt go to the hostess to be seated but went right in and we were corected by the hostess a bit too agresively and unpolite. Make sure u get to the hostess first in every restaurant to tell the room number so u avoid humiliating situations. Also in the night men need to wear long pants in a la carte restaurant or u will be sent back to the room to change. The restaurant/bar staff is much nicer after your tip so be prepared with some 1 dollar bills and u will get a much better service

Amazing concept. Me and friends stayed at the royal only adults part and we could eat also in the restaurants from the sister resort where the families with kids are located wich was cool. Had a huge variety of restaurants to eat and the food was really good. The rooms are big and beds very confortable. The drinks are great quality and variate People are in general nice and helpfull Last day we had flight at 10pm and they sugested late chekout if avaialbility with 60 dolar until 6pm but in last day no room available so we had kept the luggage in a storage room, let use all the facilities and eat for free all day and at 6pm we were alowed one shower also for free at the spa wich we higly apreciated!! The beach was nice and sunbeds very confortable and the atmosfere in the beach and pool was very positive and fun Many activities were happening everyday like pilates yoga and others all included. The birds and fish are soo cute especialy the flamingo, we fed them with some bread nobody said anything against it wich we apreciated alot bcz we had soo much fun with them. A la carte restaurants are very posh, the plating is elegant, the staff are profesional and do their job well , the atmosfere is high class. I congratulate the people who made this concept. It shows they had the best interes of the guests in mind and took care of details wich made a huge diference from other resorts i been before.

• Superior Junior Suite

nothing, we had a perfect holiday!

great location, big rooms, overall structure is very clean and modern, nice pools, gorgeous beach, good restaurants, excellent bars. The staff are absolutely amazing very friendly, professional, helpful and make you feel catered to 24/7. Would definitely stay here again.

• Superior Junior Suite

Noise level was elevated due to one of the buildings being remodeled. So their is current construction. This also caused one of the main water pipes to be broken. Their was no water for one full day! Food is a hit or miss. Depending on what you order and which location you eat. Sometimes for example, the steak was too hard. Other food variety such as some salads tasted bad.

Overall, this is a good location. The staff is very helpful, friendly and accommodating! Great Spa!

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

On our first night someone tried to force themselves into our ‘Privileged’ room overnight. We did not feel safe and had to change rooms. There was no mention of an additional charge of a currency exchange fee which was applied to my cc. The food was not as good as we had expected.

Staff was very friendly and helpful overall. Rooms / bedding are very clean. Pool areas are kept very clean as well. Property is beautiful.

• Superior Junior Suite

Beach had too much algae however that was only due to seasonal issues (we went during algae season)

Rooms were cleaned twice daily, service was great, staff friendly, food was all around great

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

The staff service was at times inconsistent. Some staff were absolutely lovely and would go out of their way for you, while others did not seem interested at all. The majority were very lovely though. If you're looking for good nightlife and entertainment then it's probably not the ideal place for you as we found it to be a bit quiet.

The location was perfect - very close to the airport and close to many excursion areas. The hotel and room were spotless at all times; very clean and bright and fresh looking. The staff service was overall fantastic. The staff paid great attention to detail and were very welcoming, friendly and helpful.

The gym is a bit small

This hotel is great! The crew are really nice and friendly , there is a lot of activities- we really like the yoga lesson with maria and the bingo, the bars and the restaurants are very good.Each room is like 3 minutes walk between the beach and the restaurants

• Superior Junior Suite

The sea isn't great, beach was nice but the sea is full of weed. Make sure you take plenty of single dollars for tips (the service is better)!

Fantastic hotel for the money! Very impressive, food was great, the grounds and facilities were kept in perfect condition... Couldn't fault a thing! Would reccomend to anyone.

• Superior Junior Suite

Concierge harrasing you to buy packages from them. Too much harrasement. It literally ruined couple of morning for my wife and I. We had to use the longer route not to go by them. They great you nicely and as any descent person you respond back and they take that as a welcoming statement to sell you stuff. The more you deny the more agrresive they get. Also we had our cousin and her boyfriend stay in another hotel. They couldn't visit us for a coffee or a drink. They force you to buy a daily pass that cost 70$ and it does not include anything. Very little change if you want to break a bill either for tip or taxi..

Staff, excelent and friendly not just friendly because that's their job. Friendly because it's their way of life. Excelent

• Superior Junior Suite (3 Adults)

The staff weren't the friendliest, we would be seated for dinner given water once and a drink once and then literally never see the another staff member approach us for a refill or just to check up, we would often have to wave them over which I didn't like doing. Also I got food poisoning my 3 day there from eating their "Salmon Triadita" at the Thallssia(may have spelled that wrong) restaurant and I literally thought I was going to die, no dramatics I will spare you all the gorey details and when I called room service to ask for some tea they told me I can only get what is on the menu for the specific time of day, they had no consideration for my illness. The bathroom in my room was outdated and could use some TLC I was in villa 40, we also killed two roaches in there. Upon arrival we wanted to upgrade to their exclusive suite that features a private pool but the additional cost was $1900, when we inquired about possibly just doing it for our first two days they weren't willing to do that either but instead offered the last day of our trip which seems silly as we would have to repack to move for one day only to unpack and re-pack again. I work in the airline industry and I give recommendations a lot to customers and friends on places to visit and stay and I can honestly say this place will but be one of my recommendations, they need to seriously work on their customer service training. Now if the issues I mentioned above are trivial to you then my all means book this property.

The property is beautiful and well maintained, loved the size of the rooms, and the mini bar that was refilled daily, it also featured a hot tub. The balcony also had a cool hammock. The food selection was varied and delicious with the exception of a few dishes. The Adults side we stayed at had about 5 restaurants but the sister family resort is in walking distance and featured a ton more restaurants, disco and casino. You can walk over through the shops or have a staff take you on the cart. The drinks were delicious and fairly well made as long as you stuck to the basics. There were a few staff members that deserved all tips we gave and a shout out such as Zuleta, juan carlos and joel they were friendly and attentive.

• Superior Junior Suite

This place was phenomenal, there was a suite available and I got upgraded to that so I had my private pool and the suite was two floors so the view blew me away.

• Superior Junior Suite

Airconsition stinked.. but it was not necesary to use it - the temperature in the room was ok when the airconsition was of. TV signal was scrambled but we stayed mainly outside the room so not such a big problem. The toilet has door from smoked glass - not very privat if you dont want to share your toilet "stories" with your partner.. But still it was an amazing hotel!!!

It was our honeymoon and we couldnt chose a better place. Amazing Holiday for couples or for group of friends. No children. 5 restaurants, 5 bars. Great food, drinks, good entertining program - dancing, Yoga, foam party in pool, beach party, barbecue, karakoe... Wonderfull rooms.

• Superior Junior Suite

On the first day of our stay mi watch was stolen from our room, that was the only item we didn't put in the safe but you never expect that in you room somebody from the hotel is going to steal something, well we did all the procedures that the hotel told us but nothing happen and the management was not on top of the situation of asking us how can they help, it was us every day going to the front desk to see how was the investigation going, we know that retrieving the watch was nearly impossible but at least they could on the day of the event give us more help and be more concerned about the situation. One of the lady's of the staff was very kind but they didn't go the extra mile after a very uncomfortable event in you trip.

The tranquility of the property is perfect to rest and enjoy the beach

• Superior Junior Suite

We couldn't understand initially how this place is so cheap for an all inclusive 5 star, especially as we had stayed in many similar ways paces in the past. After about an hour we discovered why. This is my first negative review of a place but needs to be said. We had no running water one day and two other days no hot water in the room. The room smelt damp all week and one day we had to leave due to smell of gas. Many staff members were unprofessional, on phones while serving you in dining area and got rude/angry if you didn't want a drink at the pool as they missed out on tips. The most disappointing aspect was the food and the beach. We travelled all the way from Ireland for the Caribbean experience yet the beach was tiny and covered in seaweed. You have to swarm past about 2-3 metres of seaweed before finding clean water. They try to harvest this daily with a tractor but it doesn't work. The food was our biggest disappointment. The week felt like the hotel was trying to constantly cut corners. The only edible food was the pizza place for lunch, the rest was very very poor consistently. Many people complained regularly every day. Such a pity. You get what you pay for, our biggest regret was not paying a little more for an actual 5 star experience near the better actual punta cana beach. Ps: the wifi rarely works. The hotel has a lot of potential as the rooms are genuinely great but basic services have to be improved, especially the food

Good size rooms, nice pool area and general resort area was very clean and modern (They are going for a very "Instagram worthy" look, picture encouraged areas everywhere where it literally tells you to take photos).

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

Dinner meals had too much salt! the A/C went out 2 nights during our stay. House keeping took too long to respond to requests!

Everything!! The pools the breakfast amazing everything!

• Superior Junior Suite

Pushy with the time share, rooms available went out last night causing us not to get any sleep, my top to my bathing suit was stolen and my makeup, didn't like Americans too well. Upgrade for 300 didn't give us anything special and was being given to others that didn't pay for it.

Was a beautiful time met some nice people and had a wonderful 10 year anniversary with my wonderful husband.

• Superior Junior Suite

The food with the exception of Thalassa restaurant was okay nothing special. Be careful at the pizzeria. We didn' t like that the beach was not cleaned on a daily basis from all the seaweed. You would expect it from a 5 star place. Maintenance of the rooms could be bette; plus they shouldn' t forget to clean the curtains as well...there were molds on it.

Punta Cana is amazing and Catalonia Royal Bavaro is overall a great hotel and resort. The stuff was amazing, everybody was really kind and always ready to help. Our favourite were Ana and Enrique from the reception. The hotel offers many activies,oranised programs for it guest which is really nice - you don6 even have to leave the place to have fun. It was an extra surprise that at the beach they provde you with free divin lesson and you can learn how to sail. The breakfast in Thalasssa is 5 star quality!

• Superior Junior Suite

old furniture odd smell in the room priviledge package was not worth it the feeling that they want to get extramoney from you at each step

wonderfull propriety nice infinity pool nice bars friendly staff

• Superior Junior Suite

Food is ok, but they can do much better. Asian restaurant was vers salty. wifi is slow, electrical cuts, beach has lots of seaweed and not cleaned properly. Bring lots of small bills for tipping they tend to run out of it at the reception.

We were upgraded to the exclusive suites with the private pools, gorgeous room, beautiful clean pools and restaurants. Many bars with great service, staff is very friendly. There is an area in the beach where u can walk through and get to a kind of natural pool in the middle of the water! A must do. Carmen and Yinna from the reception were great with us!

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

Thsi was our third time going and this time they seem understaffed so there was less attentinveness in pool and beach. They changed the juice bar by beach. It was not as food and little choices unless u wanted banana

Ac worked very well. Staff super friendly and accommodating

• Superior Junior Suite

Massage team tried to cheat me with a 20% off bonus, hospitality rooms doesn't exist, staff sent us to take a shower in the spa & they doesn't give late check outs...

Beautiful installation, adults only was perfect, nice food, cata tapa restaurant delicious, Pearl Beach Club awesome!!

• Superior Junior Suite

Everything was more than fine, maybe just the beach was pretty narrow (but all in all it is a great beach so this isn't a big minus). Food was good, but no restaurant did really perform excellent, everything was tasty and that is the best I can say (but this probably is a result of the fact I am not big fan of resort type travelling).

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

It is a quite and romantic place perfect to share a good time with your couple,the restaurants have a special enviroment to have a romantic dinner as well as the food is delicious and balanced.

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

It's allowed to smoke and one of the staff in the restaurant Cata Tapa named Marina was rude with everyone.

We were in Catalonia royal as it's only for adults and wanted to disconnect completely from children. Very relaxing and perfect to chill out. The restaurants are good and the food is good quality. Nice area.

• Superior Junior Suite

Can't really recommend their coffee but there is a coffee shop 5 min. from the hotel which offers proper coffee specialities (included in the all inclusive package). If you need to have a shower on you last day before the flight, ask for a room or late checkout. Otherwise you have to use the spa facilities and they don't have an air condition there which isn't really refreshing.

We had a great stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro! We just wanted to relax and the hotel is perfect for that: no kids, mostly couples or groups of friends and more boutique hotel character so not as many people as in the neighbouring hotel. The hotel is stylish, modern and offers a lot of services. Not much animation except from sports programme which was good. Everyone is friendly and helpful and you can see that they put a lot of effort in keeping the resort and the beach clean. The food is amazing and on a high standard which we didn't expect. There is a choice of different restaurants from Thai to Tapas but they also offer very healthy food and drinks like salads, smoothies... We loved the beach area with two bars and palm trees everywhere. Lots of sunbeds available at any time of the day so you don't need to reserve them in the mornings. We can highly recommend this hotel to couples who search a stylish and relaxing atmosphere.

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

The mildew smell it's smelled like real bad mildew in the room that's the reason we left a day early couldn't take no more

The food was good not a lot of seasoning though my only problem

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

We were on our honeymoon and the property was doing construction which interfered with our relaxing after a stressful planning of a wedding! I don't understand why they would place us in such a room with construction going on right outside of it! I even recorded it on my phone and let the front desk hear! They didn't even move our room! Next time I'll be staying at another resort!!!! Move out room

We loved the food and the easy of booking the excursion at the resort! The drinks were delicious and kept comin!!

• Superior Junior Suite

Language barrier, food and particularl restaurants inside the faculty, peddlers were very persistent and frequent.

Staff, house keeping, activities outside hotel (excursions like monkey land)

There is a "concierge" service that is actually for selling shared time and EVERYDAY they approach you in the lobby or in the hotel. We didn't want to go thru the lobby as they are always there. Didn't like that at all.

They had a lot of detailsfor my mom's bday

• Superior Junior Suite

The hotel manager was not helpful. I had issues with the TV and room A/C and I could not be moved. It took 4 attempts and 5 days to repair the A/C which was so loud I could not sleep through the noise. A nice looking resort but with very poor guest service and non responsive.

The pools, and the layout of the resort were good.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Superior Junior Suite

Everything about our stay at Catalonia was great, the staff was exceptionally pleasant. Thanks Alba at the bar, whom went out of her way just to get antacid for me. We had a great stay. I highly recommend this all inclusive resort.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Privileged Deluxe Junior Suite

The rooms smelled a little stale to me when we first came in but overall very clean rooms and nice employees. The room service food wasn't the best. Just don't get hungry in the middle of night. A handful of workers speaks English

Nice clean resort. Restaurants were great and employees were nice