Reviews of Melia Caribe Tropical All Inclusive 5 stars

Playa de Bavaro, Bavaro, 11500 Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

#48 of 97 hotels in Punta Cana

This resort is best for adults and couples.
    • Junior Family Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Check-In was a miserable disaster. 4 hours of wait and the staff was rude, complacent and unsympathetic. The manager was worse. We booked for a family of 3 adults and 2 children. I called Melia Caribe directly and was told to upgrade the room to the Family Jr Suite which would accommodate us 5. Called Booking.com to make the upgrade and they made the annotation for the group of 5 which was okayed by a Melia Caribe staff. Arrive to find out they would not honor the set price. Had Booking.com on the phone and they tried calling several times to speak to the manager with no success. Finally had to get the manager to take my phone and speak with Booking directly. After 4 hours and the miserable humidity and aggravation, we were forced to pay nearly $1000 more for the 3rd adult, my mother with Alzheimer's. Later we find out the rooms are not set up for a family of 3 adults and two children. The two double beds are more like oversized twin beds. I do not recommend this facility for older adults or children with needs. The Kid Zone was under construction, no zip line or rock climbing as pictured when we first booked. If you are heavy in size, you will not be comfortable on the Red train as its too narrow and unless you are a member, you will have a difficult time requesting a golf cart to get around. Tiled floors everywhere and no handles, especially in the bathrooms. Request a first floor! The beach was okay as there was much seaweed.

Most of the staff was very friendly, the drivers, housekeeping. The food was good and plenty to choose from as we had all inclusive. Get to the restaurants early as it gets busy and the wait is not pleasant. The guests lounge around to drink and converse after they've eaten as the staff will not rush the guests.

Based on my experience, I do not recomend this place if you are looking for quality service

I got so many mosquito bites from staying in that hotel, it was a suite room, I caught about 20 mosquitos each night, but it just kept coming into hotel room. I don't know how. First, do not book family suite, cleanness is not even 0, but negative 5 because room wall was covered with dusts and molds, head boarder of bed covered with molds, needless to say, the room smelled like molds as soon as I opened the door. I asked for room changed, that's when they gave me the suite room. Cleanness was okay, but mosquito bites was unbelievably unpleasant experiece. I experienced delayed response from staffs when I request for certain things to be worked out. Average waiting time was 1 hour.

I like French Cousine in that resort.

The resort overall was nice.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Because the resort is so big, you have to take a trolley or golf cart everywhere. This can be annoying when you are ready to up and go because the trolleys take forever and the golf carts aren't always available.

The resort overall was nice. Friendly staff, beautiful scenery, food was good.

Not what I expected
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Had a lot of problems with the check-in. I reserved 1 bed for me and my wife, and they said that they only had rooms with 2 twin beds. Thanks God I spoke with the manager and they gave us the room I reserved initially, but was a really bad experience. The food wasn't good at all.

Really beautiful facilities.

Very unpleasant feeling
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The dirty beach, no water and electricity ( during the night)in the room, the food.

The only good thing is that after the first night without water and electricity in the room, the stuff agreed to make a full refund and we left.

Staff is very friendly, helpful, and patient.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

There are not many rooms with ocean view, but besides that the property and staff is amazing.

Staff is very friendly, helpful, and patient. The rooms were cleaned properly everyday. Some staff knew us by name, dance lessons, pool, and other activities were awesome. There was plenty to do and plenty to eat and drink!

I will definitely be back !
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

I did not like our original room but upgraded to the Level ) which was worth it )I skill

Food was good, staff were exceptionally friendly and went all out to ensure a good time .

Messed up staff.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Too many vehicles movement, i am not speaking of people tranaportation.i am speaking of luggage trucks, maintainance trucks, construction trucks. So many trucks moving you can NOT walk 10 seco ds without being pushed out or being paranoide of getting hit by one. And besides, not all the transportation drivers r nice. And If u need a good room You will need to upgrade and I beleive that Booking.com needs to have this feature directly on this website, Because after I saw my room and the view was on a road outside of the hotel with alot of dust and constructions, I had to pay extra for LEVEL rooms. But it took them 5 hours to do that (from 1pm to around 6:40 PM), and this was a time wasted in the lobby exhausted and the receptionist seemed clueless for more than 4 hours. And by that time I lost lunch, day activities ans dinner reservations of the special restaurants.

The green enviroment

The room was clean.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The customer service was not what I was expecting!!! I called more than 6 times for a blanket and they brought me a blanket after 1:30 hours. The food had a very low quality and most restaurants were under the construction. I used to have a very good experience in Melia years ago but this time I was surprised how bad was my experience and I can say Melia is not the same any more!

The room was clean. And the beach is nice.

Besides check-in everything else was better than expected
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

check in was horrific and we spoke Spanish, it takes front desk forever to figure out your reservation my credit card would not work even though I use it everywhere else

pool was great beach very nice help was friendly food was better than expected getting around once you learned the ropes was easy waiters were more than helpfull maid service was good

Regular.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Buy the holidays by the booking agency and the photos and the description of the room did not correspond with the reality, when you arrive at the hotel the room was old, uncomfortable and with double bed. advertising does not correspond to reality, the room d ela advertising is the LEVEL area that is the top of the hotel, I had to pay the additional to get a better.

DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESORT TO ANY ONE
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Staff are very rude, unhelpful. Most of them don't speak english, so if you are not a native Spanish speaker you would have a lot of difficulty in communicating. When we arrived it was late night and we were really tired. They didn't not have a welcoming interaction with us. First they couldn't find the booking through their system which was quite slow, then the person at register asked us to fill up the forms again and pay extra fees, while wasn't able to find the actual booking, despite showing her the confirmation number. When we wanted to talk to manager another person showed up and tried to convince us we need to pay more and didn't let us to check in before taking our money, we agreed since it was late Saturday night we were tired and no one was responsive from booking .come or their management. Then the next day some other guy told us we are invited for a breakfast in another part of resort and asked us to be ready for pick up at 9:00 Am the next day, which we later found out to be a total scam and they wasted our time by trying to sell us vacation packages for the next 30 years. it supposed to be a 45 min talk which they take your consent at the beginning but the whole thing took more than 3 hours and lots of push to make you buy their packages. Food was tasteless, there is no SPA at the regular section so you have to pass through the LEVEL area to get to SPA. We have been stopped multiple times by their staff interrogating us where we were going ( with a very rude and disrespectful manner) when we were trying to go to their only SPA. At SPA, there was no lock for their lockers and they were expecting us to leave our belongings un attended in an unlocked place!!

We liked the weather, which would be the same if you choose other resorts.

Paradise!
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The people are so friendly, everybody who works there welcomes you with a big smile, had a really good time at this resort. Very good restaurants, a lot of variation. The eggs were excellent, loved the swimmingpool & activities, such as water aerobics and yoga. Very nice experience, and the resort is a real paradise!

They always get it right (for us) just need air.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The primary dining area for V.I.P. guests isn't air conditioned...makes no sense???

Everything was great...this is a place that we frequently book. This was our wedding anniversary and it was, as always, a wonderful experience! Picky people can always find something to complain about...overall, anyone who stays here should be very satisfied!

• Deluxe Junior Suite

The shuttle took forever to pick up and drop off. Most of the time we had to walk.

That my room was near the pool. It made the walking much easier but more complicated walking to the ballrooms.

Need better customer service and more food selections
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

No room service, there were ants in my room, it took me almost 2 hours to check in due to poor customer service, my room key was deactivated 5 times so I was locked out of my room, it was difficult to find food when the restaurants were closed and difficult to get around the facility.

The room was comfortable and pools were excellent. The property was beautiful

Worst Vacation Stay Ever
    • Family Junior Suite

Nothing to like!!!!!First I requested a handicap accessible rooms because my 83 year old mother is in a wheel chair. The room they gave us was not. The room was filthy and the bedsheets had blood on them. The room had not been cleaned after the last guset checked out. They refused to change the room and we had to wait 3 hours while they cleaned the room before we could go to bed. I will never go back there again.

Save your money and look else where don't be fooled by the looks
    • Family Junior Suite

I usually don't do this but ...What a disappointment! And I say this being from waiting 3 hours to check in for a family with young children and having an issue with all of our reservations which were 5..mind you there was many people complaining about that exact thing at check in. Staff is very unorganized and customer service is the poorest I've ever received. Paying extra for the benefit of the "level" and getting food that was cold and not well Flavored, to having to wait 15-25 minutes for a cart to take you anywhere because walking takes 15-20 minutes to get any location . Room service takes 40 mins to an Hour and food is cold when it gets to you. I would highly suggest looking somewhere else for the price you pay to get "the best " and get very poor service. I could write more but this is just half of the experience we had to go through and I would wish this on no one!

The only positive aspect is the beach and most of the waiters in the pool area were very helpful.

the service provided by Ernesto Moreta's team
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The general service, people smoking where they shouldn't, and the transportation from the Caribe Lobby to the rooms or beach and vice.

the service provided by Ernesto Moreta's team

nice , but next time i will check out other hotel
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

the rooms were nice and the beach and pool as well but I went to many hotels in Punta Cana and bavaro an it just did not appeal too much that much. especially looking at the prices they offer they should have faster check in and better food.

Great Time - Once you get checked in...
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Check in was crazy. Waited nearly 60 mins in line to get checked in. While guest walked up to the desk and was served before those of us in line.

Enjoyed my stay to the fullest! Polite and helpful staff. Some rude and intoxicated guest, but staff handled them very well. Food was fantastic. Trying to go back soon.

The front desk was horrible when we checked in I asked the...
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The front desk was horrible when we checked in I asked the guy if we needed wristbands for all inclusive he said no the next morning I went back it took a hour to get out wristbands!

Had a blast cant wait to go back
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Some times wait for train in the evening was kind of long so we would walk to our destination but during morn an early eve ing lots of train transportation avail

The staff were very helpful an friendly they spoke dofferent language but u coukd understand Key wordsthe food great the lobster an steak amazing we did a boat party it was amazing an adfordable cant wait to go back in OCT entertainment every night..The pool an beach lovely

Everyone was friendly and very helpful.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Our beds were tiny, check in was horrible. We got there st 12, room wasn't going to be ready until 3.( we were fine with that) however when we returned we had to wait another 40 minutes. We finally got our keys and when we arrived, our room wasn't ready. The house keeper was still mopping our floors. At least we know it was clean.

Everyone was friendly and very helpful. The property was beautiful. Buffett had a variety of choices. Bar was great! Room was nice for the price. Beach is amazing!!!

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Gorgeous hotel and Great Value for Price!
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The only downside to this hotel was its beach. We have stayed in a different side of punta cana and the beach was definitely better. Other than that i have nothing bad to say about the hotel

The premises were gorgeous. The gardens, the lobby, the rooms were beautiful. The food in restaurants were great and very fun shows in the evenings. The staff were very friendly and overall a great value for the price. I would like to try The level next time. I didnt know about it before arriving in the hotel. The level is a more expensive but also a nicer, more luxurious part of the hotel. But they also get to enjoy the same restaurants as everyone else.

Overall it was a great stay
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

They could not provide us transportation from the entrance guard gate to resort lobby it was a good 15 min walk and once in the lobby 40 min to check in not enough staffed to check in.

The room was very spacious and comfortable cleanliness was excellent

Pretty good AFTER we finally got past check-in
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The check in was HORRIBLE. We arrived early so we didn't expect to check in early although it would have been nice. However even after 3pm our room still wasn't ready. The biggest issue was standing in line for 35 minutes! Then coming back to stand in line another 25 minutes! We travel at least 3-4 time a year to the Caribbean and it was the worst that I've seen at any resort and I've traveled with groups before. It totally turned me off from booking with the hotel group again. The golf cart service can also be a little sketchy at times.

Beach activities available such as parasailing, sea boat and glass bottom boats

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Relaxing place

The entertainment change from previous year. They do not have any more Dominican bands in the lobby. There is three young people that sign regular music.

very relaxing place, great for family

The second time we have been there. Just as good as the first time.
    • The Level Suite- Adults Only

Check in was a little slow.

Comfortable, clean room with excellent service. All the staff in the resort were welcoming and friendly. Excellent choice of eating places; lovely beach and pool. A totally relaxing holiday.

Looking for luxury.... well not at Melia!
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The pictures are not an accurate depiction of the rooms. The rooms need some TLC and were really dingy. The well kept rooms are on the LEVEL VIP side only, but you are not made aware of that at the time of booking. Pictures show cracks in the wall and the lack of upkeep on fixtures in room.

The hotel exterior were opulent and impecccable and the staff was excellent.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Hotel garden nice. But the rest. Showtime nothing als
    • The Level Suite- Adults Only

To much. No space here to take about all

Many sings no good Restaurants The Chefs absolute no good Dominican restaurant terrible Thai restaurant. Nothing about Thai. Only the name International buffet meet strong. Cocker unfriendly Always the same The are special in making food damage! Very sad for hotel

Not worth it
    • Family Junior Suite

The place wasn't as clean as I thought it would be for the money, Nothing on premises was in walking distance. Buffets had weird schedules. Scenery was dark( not colorful enough for price; barely any flowers). Not enough staff.

I liked the location, being close to mall

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

A beautiful stay in a beautiful country...
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Check in was slow, but a lot of people showed up at the same time to check in.

Customer service and cleanliness was top-notch. USB ports and American voltage outlets were a nice find. My Jr deluxe suite room was clean and spacious. (FYI: The bathroom also had a separate bidet in it. The waterfall shower head was also nice). The A/C worked like a charm. The food was good, the property was well-maintained. 8 restaurants, several pools, a casino, tennis courts, golf courts, and a shopping mall were nearby. Lots of lawn/beach chairs to relax and bake and plenty of trees if you are looking for shade.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Pretty good for the money
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The check in was way too long. The bedroom is definitely not a 4 star hotel. It needs a huge renovation.

The entertainments at night were really good. Some of the restaurants were also amazing.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Exceeded expectations
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

One small spot of mold/mildew in shower.

Beautiful landscaping. Excellent beach. Adequate beach chairs. Very good food and most restaurants did not require reservations.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Very good resort!
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Slow check out, even though we were in a rush. poor "honeymoon" gift, was just a little bottle of rum. I would have expected a bottle of iced champagne at least.

The staff was very attentive and very kind. The facilities and services were excellent.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

I love the grounds and the wildlife - peacocks, ducks,...
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The Mattress was soft and pillows hard. The diesel fuels that are used in the golf carts and the Train Shuttles is very potent especially when they are running all the time. This is not good environmentally for the atmosphere or for peoples' health. I hope that you can go 'Green' with electric carts and trains. Save the Ozone and the employees that have to breath those fumes during their shifts and the guests that are exposed.

I love the grounds and the wildlife - peacocks, ducks, turtles, and the gardens are beautiful. The rooms are clean. The food is very good and although most selections remain the same daily, there are hot selections that are different every day. The Agora is not as grand as the Market Place buffet but the location to the beach and pool is great. This was our second stay.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Excellent resort
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The ambiente of the ala carte restaurants. Not very intimate, loud and cramped. Pictures on booking.com are all from The Level not from the Standard resort. Little bit deceiving.

Staff, food, service.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

The resort inself, beautiful garden, a lot recreation areas,...
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

I would like better bed. If was not what we expecting. Also, the beach is nice but you guys have to clean it.

The resort inself, beautiful garden, a lot recreation areas, restaurants, bars, ect saw

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Won't go back, or use booking.com to book any future vacations. They did not help us.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Our first room had no electricity, hot water, or phone. Booking.com emailed us that they had booked for two people but I was in the lobby everyday with the staff having to prove it. Booking.com would not take the time to help us get this cleared up. Miele' wanted to charge us double what we paid for. They were Mean and controlling and ruined our vacation.

The location was beautiful. Weather was perfect everyday.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Too expensive for what you get,
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Staring for the lack of coordination / room availability at the check in process. Room with spiders web, unfinished room remodeling works, still have dust from the construction. Room flooded with water due to the same situation. Request extra towers and took more than two hours to deliver them. TV was in operated. Any MOTEL 8 will provide better room service

Weather was perfect, WIFI service was good

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

The resort is beautiful,clean, well maintained.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Booked 2 rooms, requested next to each other on reservation. When I got there they gave me 2 rooms totally different sides of the resort, had to wait over an hour for them to fix it.

The resort is beautiful,clean, well maintained. The staff were all extremely friendly and so helpful !

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Buffet restaurant right next to the beach.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Hostess at one restaurant pretended to not understand me and was rude (I speak Spanish). Unable to reach the adjacent Cocotal Golf Club to set up a round. Called multiple times at multiple hours, and the Guest Services was also unsuccessful. Frustrating. Check in took 45 minutes.

Buffet restaurant right next to the beach. Loads of beach chairs. Good security. Always felt safe. Bartender found me and brought me the mojito he couldn't make at his bar (from another bar). Nice.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Avoid
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Unlike with other places at Booking.com, the room payment was immediately deducted from my card. Upon arrival, the rooms weren't ready and we waited three hours. Once we got them, it turned out there were single beds, not kingsize beds. Moverover, the rooms were dated (think late '80s/'90s, Communist-style - nothing like on bright, photoshoped photos) and DIRTY!! There were _hair_ and pieces of food on the floor. Even when we finally managed to get one of the rooms changed, we find out FLEAS in our bed - unfortunately it was only the following morning... The transportation around the resort is lengthy and chaotic - when we boarded a 'train' to the reception, we only arrived there 15mins later as we were first driven around the whole resort even though it was meant to go directly to the reception. The restaurants we wanted to go to were close without any prior notice. Moreover, the general standards of food & beverage (breakfast, lunch, dinner) were well-below any of the Dominican places we have previously been to. Cocktails are pre-made and don't taste fresh. Actually, they don't taste at all - unless you go to one of proper evening bars near the reception. What's the point of all-inclusive if it's just not good enough? One of the nicest parts of the resort (a pool with a pool bar) closes at 6pm and you are not allowed to swim there afterwards. At night, there were groups of drunkenly noisy people who woke us up. When checking out, we couldn't even demand a discount as the payment has already been taken prior to our arrival. Some of the staff tried to/were helpful but some had very little knowledge about the place where they work. All in all, I wish I could have avoided staying there and wish my money was returned.

The only positive is that we only stayed there for one night...

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

Enjoyed ourselves
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The room was poorly ventilated resulting in mold and occupants receiving a mold rash. Layout of resort was very confusing and we're got lost when we attempted to walk.

The lobster was amazing and worth every cent. Dinner at the American Grille was nothing less than fabulous. Beach and pool access was very convenient.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Good for Family and Kids
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

The closest bar to the beach is far. Have to walk a lot to get a drink if relaxing at the beach. Maybe having some staff helping out in this area would be good.

Staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. Pool and beach were pretty nice.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Friendliest staff in Punta Cana :)
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Lack of nightlife. Most people to go to relax but when staying for a week, you do want night time entertainment and this wasn't very well organised.

We LOVED the service from the staff. We hope they can be looked after a little more, they work very hard and we just wish they get rewarded for being an asset to this resort. We will be back and its all because of them. They were at hand to help us with anything, they knew our favourite drinks and were always so cheerful!

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

It's a large and eautiful resort with gorgeous beach.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

I've stayed there 4 times now and this wasn't the greatest experience. Of all the restaurants advertised, only the buffet, dominican and Mexican restaurant was open the entire time. What's going on with the rest??? People are paying for something they cannot use

It's a large and eautiful resort with gorgeous beach. The rooms and facility are always very clean.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

I liked everything about this property
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Something the clean were as clean as they supposed to but they were alright

I liked everything about this property

Disgusting manager

Disgusting manager

Wonderful
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Extensive green areas, gave us the Tropical feeling

Its beautiful and clean

Service

Its beautiful and clean

Took 1.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Took 1.5hrs to check in. Poor customer service at the reception.

Great time, can't wait to go back!
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Took really long to check in

Very friendly staff, clean rooms & grounds

Great and relaxing time.

Variety in buffet.

Fine beach and pool. Clean room.

It met my expectations.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Overall it is a good resort and there isn’t much I didn’t like.

The Pool, and the beach. The suites are nice as well.

Awesome!!!!!

Four time in this hotel. I enjoyed my stay there. Very friendly staff 👌

Size of the pool
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Rooms need renovating. Food choices not good. Would be good to inform travelers of the proper procedure for tipping staff.

Size of the pool

Check in system was a disaster.

Check in system was a disaster.It took almost 4 hours to complete check in

Nice accomodation, sad Management
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Nonorganized Reception, the Resort is to big to handle by the very insufficient clerks.

Terrible place to stay, poor communication from staff who...

Staff and food

Terrible place to stay, poor communication from staff who take forever on any request. Food is awful

Stay somewhere else.
    • Family Junior Suite

Rooms are old and some are falling apart. Most of staff was rude if not indifferent. Was not worth the price.

Check in took forever.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Check in took forever. They charged us twice!The first one can only be returned in half month.

• Family Junior Suite

Their customer service stinks. Food very bland.

One of the bartenders was very friendly. Leaving the property to go downtown for entertainment.

I’ll never stay at that location

Service and food

The room

Train

Train

Espectacular

Instalaciones en general

The food was really good.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

I didn't use the pool and the beach because was closed for hurricane irma.

The food was really good.

Very good place overall
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

Everything was good and tasty

I like every thing.
    • Deluxe Junior Suite

I like every thing. the only thing I recommend is to place name in the train stop.

Too much for my stat

Dirty room, 3 hours to check in

The music at night

Check in was ridiculous
    • Premium Double Room

Rest of the food was to simple, the wait while checking in was ridiculous

Steakhouse n lobster and the Japanese food was incridible.

Good but not good