Reviews of El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel "Newly Renovated" 5 stars

Sarasota, 65, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

#20 of 76 hotels in Santo Domingo

The Embajador was built long ago but it was totally...
    • Executive Jr. Suite

I can't think of anything

The Embajador was built long ago but it was totally renovated in 2017 and for me it is now the nicest hotel in Santo Domingo (hotel and neighborhood are quieter, prettier, safer and less expensive than most 4 and 5 stars and I stayed at all of the top ones in the city except the JW Marriott which is in the Blue Mall). The bathrooms (with lovely shower and tub) and all the electronics are new and state of the art—e.g. the hall lights go on when you exit the room and all rooms have a large lighted number you can see from far away. Tile or engineered wood floors so none of the disgusting dirty rugs you get in most hotels. Only rug is the huge one in the lobby bar. I stayed over the weekend at the peak of the summer season and it was not crowded or noisy. There is a small adjacent casino. Excellent meals but there are 5 other restaurants on the short street leading to the hotel including a natural foods place (along with dentists and cosmetic surgery offices) and a small pharmacy and market across the street. Lovely spacious grounds with large deep pool, and inflatables are prohibited so even when kids are present they mostly cling to the edges, so its useable for swimming (unlike so many places). Nice new gym with treadmills etc. and free weights but only one other machine and one bench. Super attentive staff. Large grounds include meeting hall and wedding facilities. Highly recommended.

Very nice hotel ,,, could be better with some little changes
    • Executive Jr. Suite

CNN channels are the only news channels available.And if you find, like I do, CNN unbearable it is quite ennoying They change robes only when client leaves ... so if in a long stay you will keep the same robe ...

Beautiful place. Nice confortable rooms Excellent location

Excellent hotel for couples, tropical modern.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The staff at the reception was not very helpful solving our needs, which we requested in advance. They don't clarify in booking that rooms with a sea view are charged extra.

Excellent rooms. The bathroom is outstanding. They tell you in the Reception that the room has a whirpool but it is not true, it is an oversize bathtub, that's it. The Pool and garden are outstanding and they offer you sauna free of charge.

Perfect !!!
    • Executive Jr. Suite

NOT BEEN ABLE TO STAY LONGER!!!!

EVERYTHING IS BEYOND EXPECTATIONS AT THIS HOTEL. THE BED, THE PILLOWS, THE CLEANNLINESS. THE FOOD AT THE RESTAURANT, THE POOL BAR....EVERYTHING !!!!

Fantastic hotel, their service is amazing. Will book again!
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The air condition was too cold and I wasn't able to tone it down as it exceeded.

The room was very comfortable and clean. I also loved the politeness of staff and food.

Above average
    • Ambassador Executive Junior Suite

Whatever they are putting in the water is making it heavy - Should consider looking into that

I did like the renovated room, they have done a great job there.

disappointed and angry
    • Executive Jr. Suite

we wait for 2 hrs for our check in because they doesn’t had the confirmation untill other guy of reception say to us send the mail and he printed then at list to get in 3 hrs

the room was realy nice and clean the food and the room service as well very nice.

Very nice vacations there,
    • Ambassador Executive Junior Suite

The water temperature was impossible to regulate, we couldn't take showers without getting cold or burn. The lights were very complicated to handle, no possibility to get a smooth lightening. The room service is a joke. Some guys from the hotels are very disrespectful when they see a woman.

The team is wonderful, most to the people are very nice. The jacuzzi in the bedroom is very romantic

The rooms, the garden, the lobby
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The road to the entrence to the hotel there is trash station where the restaurant throw their left over. That was stinky. That is a negative point for the hotel.

The rooms, the garden, the lobby

Our stay was great.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The negative thing is the road entrance to the hotel. There is a waste dump station, where the restaurants in the neighborhood are throwing their waste and left over. Passing by there by feet was very unpleasant due to the bad smell and the flies. The other negative thing was the douch water was too hot on both side of the crane. We call the maintenance. They came immediately but the problem was not solve. They said may be the problem was with the broiler. The next day we had to douch again with too hot water as this was the day we had to check out very early in the morning.

The beautiful pool garden give a tranquility feeling. For using the lift we had to use our roomcard, which gave the feeling that we were save. Size of the room was ok and the bed was very confortable. In the surrounding there are enough restaurants to choose. We were adviesed by a staff not to walk to late far away to prevent to be attack, what we appreciated a lot.

Overestimated, Overpriced for the Value

Boring hotel, overpriced.

Overpriced, overhyped. There are a few better options at the waterfront which are substantially cheaper and have a significantly better location

Good hotel, but some staff issues - Royal Level is not an unnecessary luxury
    • Ambassador Royal Junior Suite

- not all staff is as motivated or courteous - English is not widely spoken throughout the hotel - hygiene in some parts of the hotel (i.e. restrooms at Royal Level lounge) could be improved Unfortunately, the difference with the staff at the Royal level lounge and the rest of the hotel could not be bigger. When ordering room service, it was very hard to get our order across, since English was hardly spoken. We had to wait over an hour and received cold food. At the outside bar, both the bartender and waitress looked bored and weren't too friendly. They did not speak a single word in English. When ordering an ergonomic foam pillow from the pillow menu we first received a down pillow (while being allergic to down) after 30min of waiting. After having called twice we then received another pillow from the menu that we didn't request, but since we were tired we decided to settle for that. Let's be honest: not a huge problem, but not quite the service you expect, nonetheless.

+ booking the Royal Level is highly recommended + friendly staff at Royal Level + beautifully decorated Ambassador Royal Junior Suite w/ whirlpool and pillow service We stayed at El Embajador for two nights and booked a junior suite, at Royal level. This being the highest service level available, our expectations were accordingly. At arrival, we were escorted to the Royal lounge on the top floor, to get a personalized check-in. We were welcomed by the lovely Carolina, who was courteous and friendly - and spoke almost impeccable English. She was our go-to person for the entire stay and every time we entered the lounge, to have drinks or for breakfast, she made sure we received a warm welcome. Jhomercy, the hotel's guest relation manager, was very kind and keen to hear our findings and suggestions. Waiters at the Royal lounge, serving drinks, snacks and breakfast were friendly and service-minded.

You should pay better attention to availability of taxis.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

You should pay better attention to availability of taxis. There are no taxis congregating in front of a hotel and if a guest needs one, a doorman will call a taxi by phone, from his short dial list, obviously. When you already in a cab, you can't negotiate with the driver and it creates an opportunity for some drivers (not all) to take advantage of guests. One of the drivers attempted to charge 600 pesos for a trip that usually costs only 200 pesos, saying it was expensive because I was coming from a hotel. I understand that taxis are not part of the hotel and have their own pricing, but the current setup creates environment for predatory practicing. The hotel can do better to organize the taxis and and protect the guests from rogue drivers trying to overcharge.

Best hotel I've ever stayed in.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The service was amazing. Asked for Apple juice at breakfast. They didn't have any so they actually went and juiced apples. Breakfast was amazing. The ambassador lounge was a great place to get afternoon snacks. Staff was extremely helpful and attentive. Amenities were top notch. Splendid hotel.

Excellent hotel
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The hotel was excelentissimo! but Booking.com was horrendous. After clicking by mistake and realising my mistake thirty seconds later, the cynical Booking.com said that I could not cancel! They cheekily added that if I should want to cancel, I would lose the whole sum of the room which was a whopping 153 USDollars! Thank you Booking dot com for being so unfriendly to your customers. The reason for not allowing to cancel was laughable! A message came up saying you cannot cancel because the rate you have paid is so cheap! The conclusion is the following: you fool me one time, shame on you! You fool me two times, shame on me! I won't give you the pleasure of a second time!

The hotel is old, but the renovation restored it completely...
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The hotel is old, but the renovation restored it completely making it probably one of the best places to stay in Santo Domingo. The breakfast restaurant was excellent, with a nice view over the beautiful garden and pool area. I would certainly return to this hotel in the future.

Incredible, stylish, impeccable service & excellent food!
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Once or twice room service rang the door bell at 9.20pm. Why? No idea. I had been asleep for an hour and a half by then.

The bed was like a cloud! The room was modern, classy, bright, fresh and super clean! I stayed there after having an operation and the staff were incredible attentive, genuinely caring and helped any way they could. The hair salon was superb. The pool and restaurants and cocktail bar felt like a private oasis. I honestly cannot speak highly enough about this hotel.

I enjoyed my stay, the facility is nice and I would consider staying there again.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

My bathtub was dirty, the room didn’t have any washcloths and when I called for some, they never arrived. The room smelled musty and of mildew. The hair salon was dirty and there was hair all over the floor even though I was the first customer that day. The tools used for my manicure were dirty and unsanitary. I asked the technician not to use them on me. The footspa was broken and didn’t work once plugged in. The plates were not replenished at breakfast. Upon check-in, the representative didn’t inform me of the amenities or hotel services. At check-out, the frontdesk had a difficult time processing my tax exempt letter. They actually refused to honor it until I pushed the issue further. I’ve never had a problem using the letter as I am a Diplomat. I experienced a one hour checkout process and the representative gave me an incorrect bill three times with the math and total amount being incorrect. I had to explain the math to him several times until he finally achieved the correct amount.

The establishment is very, very nice. It has a resort feel just without a beach. The room layout is very nice and it was perfect for me as an individual. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was relaxing. I got a express massage and it was amazing!

over all place is excellent
    • Executive Jr. Suite

main lobby furniture is old and cusions are very poor, uncomfortable to sit. gives very poor impressions.

Very nice big rooms. nice decore, good hot breakfast, smiling and co operative staff. beautiful lawn and decorations .

Beautiful modern rooms but still no service
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The service has not been upgraded. I stayed at this hotel a few years back but left because of the lack of service. The telephone in my room wasn't working, nobody fixed it. The reception was slow and not really motivated. The guys at the bar prefer less over more work.

Fantastic new rooms! The hotel was taken over by Barcelo and they have upgraded all rooms. The result is astonishing. The swimming pool and the beautiful garden make it complete.

The grounds were beautiful, the beds comfortable and the...
    • Executive Jr. Suite

I didnt appreciate the cleaning staff ringing in at 9.30am, they should have a schedule letting them know if you are only a 1 night guest and just clean after youre gone.

The grounds were beautiful, the beds comfortable and the breakfast buffet was delish.

Rooms are great​.
    • Ambassador Executive Junior Suite

Sometimes it is not perfectly cleaned and the gym is poorly equipped for an hotel like this.

Rooms are great​. the staff at the lobby bar is super friendly

beautiful rooms
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The restaurant's food was HORRIBLE!!!!! we ate at the restaurant and ordered room service and we were very disappointed

The room was big and beautiful

Perfect stay! Best hotel in Center of Santo Domingo.
    • Ambassador Executive Junior Suite

There wasn't not a single thing I did not like. It is truly a perfect hotel.

I loved the esthetics of the hotel. One of the best hotels in the center of Santo Domingo.

Would continue being my hotel choice in Santo Domingo
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The breakfast was certainly lacking. For 15USD the options are very limited.

The rooms are espectacular. I have visited the hotel before the renovations and was very happy with the facilities so decided to come back here and it was a great choice!

Wonderful as usual. Staff is friendy and welcoming. The best.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The redecorated rooms are fantastic, modern with everything you could want in a room. The rooms are modern but the hotel keeps to its original charm and elegance.

Expensive, poor value
    • Ambassador Royal Junior Suite

The staff was friendly but inefficient. They didn't know how to help you. Any questions I had they kept saying *I'm not sure* They confused my reservations with someone else, and they double charged be for breakfast!

The location is prime. The new rooms are ok.

Very high level of furniture and Staff, except cleaning...
    • Ambassador Executive Junior Suite

The Cleaning woman comes in your room when you are not there and changes your settings, for ex. close the window + switch aircon on. But I wanted the way I did and not a freezing room. Very annoying. And there is a construction on the site a lot of noise during the day. The elevator was stuck because of workers, come on!!!

Very high level of furniture and Staff, except cleaning staff is very obtrusive.

Not Worth It...stay elsewhere!
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Under construction. Casino and one of the 2 restaurants closed. Air conditioner in the room not cooling properly. Expensive for what is offered compared to other hotels. Breakfast should be included at $200.00 (not including taxes) a night under these conditions. Will never stay here again...

best hotel and i come always back - a bit cheaper would be even nicer
    • Executive Jr. Suite

if there are weddings or Events in the Hotel the staff is very helpful and you can easily change the room as in some rooms you can hear the music etc.

half of the Hotel is already redone and the second part is under construction. in the bathroom all is Swiss made - so very exclusive. the view is fantastic and the pool just great - never too many guests as in big Resorts. the breakfast is excellent and offers all you want. the staff is very helpful and friendly. for me still the best Hotel in town also because of the fantastic park and the pool. Within walking distance is an italian restaurant IL GIARDINO. this one i really can recommend ad the other is just a joke.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Great hotel
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Hard with building workers and noise during day. I was unwell and had 2 days in bed ,that was difficult. One of the restaurant tables had a shattered glass corner, my skirt got caught, does a small hole, only got sorry, thought at least an offer of free lunch or something to cover but nothing. Only 2 things that bothered me.

Loved everything! Great staff, service and food. Even with a language barrier, would definitely recommend and stay again if ever in Santo Domingo again.

The room was very update.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Our room was on the fourth floor and you could hear the work being done over head. Also had breakfast in our room and it was almost cold.

The room was very update.

The reservation with Booking.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Reception and reservation team It was raining inside lobby's most part

The reservation with Booking.com was lost. 45 minutes at the reception at 4 am in the morning to look for it.

Design, location and environment
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The hotel was under construction. I had no cold water during the shower. We asked two times for expresso café during the breakfast and they served american coffee.

Staff very kind, rebuilded rooms very comfortable, design and facilities.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Excellent until We got stuck with no power on the elevator because of the remodeling issue
    • Executive Jr. Suite

They are still working on the renovation and the electricity comes and goes constantly....Me, my husband and another lady got stuck in the elevator with no help to get out....I felt i would faint any moment......

Excellent rooms, breakfast and staff.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

amazing room
    • Executive Jr. Suite

They took the balconys to be part of the room so there is no outdoor space The casino and half of the hotel is closed and under renovation five times Maintanance person came to my room to fix a leak The price that was advertised in your site didn't include %28 taxes

amazing room

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Best Hotel in Santo Domingo
    • Royal Club Room

In my opinion right now the best Hotel in Santo Domingo. Great Pool area - and this is a pool not just a small one. Excellent rooms. All in the bath comes from Switzerland :-) Fantastic parc and a nice Spa

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

almost nothing, only the room
    • Superior Room

Location, price, old style of the hotel, bad private lounge offer/service (cheap food, no drinks, not even water free)

almost nothing, only the room

Fantastic new rooms-wow- probably the best in town
    • Royal Club Room

Mister Martinez please contact me

Fantastic new rooms-wow- probably the best in town Location with a great old tropical garden in the middle of the city. Very good size of a hotel health club. Free use of sauna, what is not a standard in the Caribbean. Free parking, super bell boy/concierge. Don't miss to see the historical pictures in the lobby.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Front desk staff was great.
    • Superior Room

Didn't care for the breakfast but didn't want to travel for breakfast so I just tolerated it. Tough time getting a coffee refill with very few people in the restaurant pretty much each day.

Front desk staff was great. Very friendly and attentive. Grounds were very well kept.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

It was Ok
    • Superior Room

I didn't feel like a guest, it's lacking customer service, employee's in general from the lobby to the bar were more into themselves than the guests.

The Staff at the Breakfast Buffet were very nice, very attentive.

Not bad
    • Superior Room

Waiter takes absolutely ages to come round and serve coffee in the mornings. Sometimes I felt I was even being avoided. Very strange. Would be much easier to have decent espresso machines/self-serve.

Reception staff were great and the rooms were very clean, indeed.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Thanks El Emabajador for a good stay in Santo Domingo.
    • Superior Room

The Casino is not much of my interest, but I understand that is part of the optimization of the space.

The spa is spectacular and the staff is so friendly.

I love that hotel, and the give you all you need with a...

they just have 3 elevators

I love that hotel, and the give you all you need with a lovely face.

AC wasnt cold enough

AC wasnt cold enough

The hotel is so beautiful and good location
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The food all services excellent hotel

I like everything the location expetacular

Clean and beautiful
    • Executive Jr. Suite

There wasn't more of it. The lobby furniture can be updated.

Clean and beautiful

Bed was extra confortable.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Bed was extra confortable. Room was very modern. Lighting impressive. Bathroom beautiful.

My stay was totally relaxed.

Not applicable

It is a hiotel that provides a mixture of both business and relaxation. Rooms are immaculate and surpass my expectations.

Wonderful time in Dominican Republic!
    • Executive Jr. Suite

I don’t have any complaint

I really enjoy everything

Amazing

I like everything

The service was excellent and have beautiful rooms.

nice hotel but far away from touristic attractions

breakfast could be improved

spacious and nice rooms, nice garden and faicilities

😍😍😍😍♥️♥️♥️♥️

Nada. 100% perfecto 😍😍

😍😍😍😍♥️♥️♥️♥️

Pleasant
    • Ambassador Royal Junior Suite

The lobby and other areas haven’t been changed to match the rooms

Rooms are nicer than you’d expect !

Vi dico solo che c era la regina

Good

Good

The fruit at the Breakfast was poor compared to the quality...
    • Executive Jr. Suite

The fruit at the Breakfast was poor compared to the quality of the Hotel, facilities and the rest of the Breakfast

Incredible. I was in Dan6p Domingo 4 some work meetings. Incredible amazing

Professional luxury staff

everything is perfect
    • Executive Jr. Suite

bacon and other meat has to be saparete area because i am muslim we dont want to touch it

everything is perfect

They took,very good care of me

Everything was wonderful

Room and breakfast

Room and breakfast

Every thing was perfect !
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Every thing was perfect !!!! The breakfast was really good too !!!

Amazing

Nothing. Everything was first class

A few minor problems and they upgraded me to a royal junior suite

Great place to stay

size of pillows too big

room and the ambiance

Beautiful rooms and garden, best hotel in Santo Domingo.
    • Ambassador Royal Junior Suite

Beautiful rooms and garden, best hotel in Santo Domingo.

Great hotel big room excelent service

Big rooms

Get here!! you will not be disappointed.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Best Hotel , Staff and Kitchen in all of Santo Domingo, you cant find anything better than this. Specially the renovated rooms!

Big room.

Big room.

An incredible hotel
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Nothing was by far one of the best hotels I have stayed at.

I absolutely loved this hotel was incredible

Dinner low quality

Quality of food

Dinner low quality

Excelente
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Customer service is very important to me and they over exceeded my expectations... I will definitely stay again, and again...

Excellent!

Lobby

Room interiors are beautiful!

Best in Santo Domingo

Best stay in Dominican republic

Clean

It was an okay stay.
    • Executive Jr. Suite

Front desk was disorganized. They added all these extra charges by the time I checked out.

My room was beyond spacious and comfortable.

I will return but will try (again) to get room on pool side
    • Ambassador Executive Junior Suite

car alarms going off in parking lot at all hours, keeping me awake

the grounds are beautiful