Reviews of Boutique Hotel Palacio 4 stars

Calle Duarte 106, Ciudad Colonial, Colonial Zone, 10211 Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

#26 of 76 hotels in Santo Domingo

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Staff were friendly
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room and hotel was damp and smelt of mildue. The bar was understocked, only 1 beer and 1 coke. Our front door opened directly onto the restaurant seating area.

Staff were friendly

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

A pleasant colonial experience
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel need maintenance. Toilet flush was not functioning inspite of many requests to fix it.

The colonial style gives the hotel a beautiful atmosphere. Very well located. Staff very helpful , warm service, smiling.

not good at all.

I stayed at the hotel 2 years ago and I really liked it, it is why I came back but it was not the same. the rooms were not well kept. I had to change the room because it smelled and the sheets were dirty. the second room was not that great either and it needed to be repaired. the bathroom sink was clogged. The breakfast was the same every day and the staff was not pleasant.

Super lage
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

18 hour no water since 2pm to 8am, well a hotel need to have 24 hour service, first no water in the tank and then according pump not working no water to till in the morning, bad Communication from the Management also there is a Pool at top floor connect temporary a fexible pump and fill temporary water to the tank and no worrys

Super lage

It was a great stay and the gentleman at the front desk made it more hospitable and welcoming!

There was a mix up with the room I requested at check in and there were no other terrace balancing rooms available. I was accommodated by the front desk manager without another suite which did meet my expectations though not what I requested. There were no other terrace balcony suites with Jr tubs available.

I have stayed there on two other occasions and I find that housekeeping needs more instruction in how to leave the appropriate towels for the bathroom. They seemed challenged about detailed service in the bathroom. They never leave adequate towels and wash clothes. It may be that they have not been trained in that area, but it is annoying to have to ask the front desk and housekeepers for things they should have left.

Great location but disappointed with the state of disrepair of the property

The facility is not maintained properly. Many things are broken horn in a state of disrepair. I was promised a deluxe room with a king size bed. The room that I was in was definitely not a deluxe room even though I paid a very high rate for a deluxe room.The fan in the bathroom was extremely loud. In general the property is not well-maintained.

I like the fact that it is located in the centre of the Colonial Zone And that it is an old historical building. The staff is very nice.

Staff is great and is pretty close to all the attractions in...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The wifi is weak. But they were very kind to change us to a better room with better WiFi.

Staff is great and is pretty close to all the attractions in the colonial zone.

First time in S.D

Is in great location, secure, awesome front staff and cleaning staff as well as the breakfast. Beds are very comfortable and room is beautiful.

In zona colonial, parking available, 24/7 security,...

Our room's AC wasn't functioning properly. I had to request a fan in order to keep the room cool.

In zona colonial, parking available, 24/7 security, quiet, historical building.

Internal multi-floor garden-like sitting areas.
    • Queen Room - Smoking

Ongoing noisy construction by either hotel or immediate neighbor; didn’t know about when I made reservation.

Internal multi-floor garden-like sitting areas. Nice breakfast included

Make sour we have the copies of reservations to proof
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We reserved includes breakfast but in final bill they charged us for breakfast. We email to tell them and they will look at my reservation and they said they will refund if they find out. But I show them my copies and mention to them before check in.

Inside hotel decorated beautiful not far from the center just walk out from hotel evening things just on the corner.

Quaint hotel with friendly staff, private parking rooftop pool.

Wish breakfast was included, but overall was great.

Friendly staff. It's bigger than what it appears from the outside. With plenty of outdoor space and rooftop pool. Beds were comfortable and room was clean.

Wonderful conversion of several old colonial mansions.

Breakfast room was very hot,but ok on an outside table. I do not like being charged for drinking water.

Wonderful conversion of several old colonial mansions..common areas are delightful and well maintained. They have improved the bar and car parking .

Great location in the colonial district.

WiFi in one of our rooms did not work and did not get fixed as promised. Met two cockroaches in the bathroom.

Great location in the colonial district. Hotel is beautiful and in that style, has nice rooms and even a (small) swimming pool.

Cozy, well decorated, clean hotel , ideally located!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Lovely boutique hotel, Colonial decor ideally located in the Zona Colonial! Staff excellent, very clean exceptional value for the money! Would recommend!

There was nothing that I didn’t like. Excellent
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was nothing that I didn’t like.

I liked everything about your boutique hotel very unique perfect location just total class, staff was helpful. I enjoyed my stay wish I could’ve stayed longer maybe next time.

beautiful romantic weekend in a Charming boutique hotel

Gym was tiny with limited options but for the price the place was great.

location was great, rooms were comfortable and clean and the Colonial style was super cool. Staff was good will special props to the door man Julio - he was great- always with a smile.

I would definitely stay there again
    • Queen Room - Smoking

The people in the street asking for money all the time not the hotels fault though

The atmosphere was great the people were great it was a good place to stay I'm happy with my decision to stay there

Great, will recommend and visit again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Is not a problem because it was very clean, but they should change the toilet seats for new ones; it had signs of wear.

The pool, is better than the pictures, and is open until 7 p.m. The place is beautiful, spacious, and on walking distance of the historic part of the city. And is the best one in that price range that I know of.

Old world charm
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The shower made a big water mess because there was no curtain just a wall that wasn't large enough to contain all the spray from the shower head. And the hot water took about 10min to be hot.

It is an amazing old building in a great location. We had a room with a vaulted ceiling and an awesome iron chandelier.

1st timers
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My husband and I loved everything! We especially loved the historical charm, felt "castle- like", beautiful court yard area. We did not eat there, but saw many people that did. The concierge service was awesome. Everyone seemed to speak English well. Loved having a "guard" at the front of the hotel to greet us day and night. We enjoyed to pool area also. We were right in the center of the colonial zone, only 1/2 block from the main tourist street. Felt safe walking everywhere even at night.

Quaint, clean, lovely boutique hotel in a great location.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was nice with a variety of foods. The setting for the breakfast was a lovely courtyard. The hotel was well located and within walking distance of the attractions in the colonial district. It was clean and comfortable.

Free parking.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

A lot of issues with hot water... really annoying. The Colonial district itself was a bit disappointing... rooms was a bit noicy, it was at neighbouring the court yard.

Free parking. Central in Colonial district. Spacious rooms. Friendly staff. Nice garden.

I’ve stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

From time to time, there were issues with hot water in the room. This continues to be a problem for this property.

I’ve stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions. It is a great location and a nice, old cultured property. It’s an average place and it’s location is it’s greatest asset.

Beautiful colonial space, lots of pretty interior gardens...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Beautiful colonial space, lots of pretty interior gardens where groups could talk. We had a large group. In town for wedding, and it was the perfect place for us— thanks!!

My stay was excellent

Most of the persons spoke Spanish and I am English speaking

The bed extra comfy. The breakfast was very good and healthy. The bathroom very clean and the way the toilet paper was styled like a fan I was very impressed

Oh so close

My room, and of course I can not speak for the others, had the hardest mattress I've ever encountered in any hotel.

The location was great and the staff was very friendly and the breakfast was good.

Overall a great place ....
    • Budget Single Room

This is my second stay at the hotel and it seems that I always get a room that is smaller than I am accustomed too. My very first stay from booking online with Booking.com for a very great discounted price I was placed in a small room in the back of the house in a corner with no view with the exception of the view of the rear of another building under construction. Despite I was just returning from my wedding anniversary form Peru with my wife. I did ask for another room if possible. I was told that there were no more room. Oddly for the time of the year and knowing it was a Sunday and for general observation I could tell that this hotel still had room. Anyway so again for another stay and attempt to give it another chance. First room smelled wet. I did ask for another room but the receptionist again was about to fix her mouth to say the hotel had no more rooms. Thanks to another attendant that brought to the receptionist attention that there was another room available. In my own opinion this is a great property but customer service for booking the best price available online they tend to penalize you with the accommodations.

The location of the property and that it also provided room service for dinner.

Great location for a stay in the capital . The best part of hotel was security night guard mr. Aria!

The door made a loud annoying siren sound 2 seconds after it was opened and it was also very hard to close without making huge bang sound. Impossible to get out without waking up anyone in the room. We wanted to go to hotel restaurant at 9:30pm but forced to go else where as hotel checkin papers said it closed at 9 but later we found out it was a typo and it closes at 11!! We wish the hotel staff at least told us the correct info so we could have saved ourselves a trip.

Location was excellent and garden in courtyard was beautiful and miraculously mosquito free. Very impressed by the building maintenance. The check in staff were not so warm but the night guard mr. Aria was the best and went above and beyond call of duty to help us boil water for baby’s formula at 3am! Very nice hotel.

Highly recommend
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Hot water was almost absent a few time. Gorgeous bathroom and shower but poor plumbing fixture in our room - needs new shower valve and shower head in room 124

Ambiance .. historical building and feel .. great location for exploring and shopping in Colonial Zone

Beautiful place in the heart of Zona Colonial
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Cleaning was not great, found a lot of hair in the room which was quite disgusting. We stayed in two different rooms during our stay, and one of them was a bit worn down. Seems like the ones close to the main courtyard are better kept.

Beautiful historic building, nice breakfast. Big plus for the rooftop pool! Staff member Julio and the female bartender were really friendly (the rest of the staff not as much).

My second stay here. Very peaceful and relaxing. Beautiful courtyard.

Hard to adjust the AC. Colder than I would have liked. No microwave or coffee pot.No tub in bath but it had a nice shower .

Nice quiet and comfortable. Great location in Colonial Zone

A quiet Haven in the Heart of the City
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Located in the heart of the colonial area the place was quiet and secluded. And they offer free parking in an area where parking is nearly impossible to find.

Elegant, relaxing, costy stay in SD centre

Price of the hotel and the breakfast was high, but still affordeable.

Very central location, in the heart of the Colonial Zone. Clean and comforteable hotel, with big rooms and beds, with elegant bathrooms. Underground and safe garage. Good and reach breakfast.

Location was good;

There was a lot of humidity in our room; and one night there were other guests partying right in front of our door until at least 2am.

Location was good; and the rooms were big enough.

The staff.

Your question here is "what didn't you like?" My answer is ...........Booking through booking.com, period!!!!!! There was one major problem which was traced backing to crooking.com. And if it weren't for the top notch staff at the front desk the stay would have been a near disaster. Do yourself a favor, don't ever use booking.com just grind through all the rip off 3rd party booking sights until you find the actual hotel sight otherwise you subject yourself to untold problems.

The staff. The facility-------just about everything!!!!!!!

The hotel made the stay enjoyable by their friendly attitude.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was actually not very good. It did have a variety but the food was either not well cooked or overcooked depending on what you had. The service was great but the ammenities were not great. Never the same number of towels and never had hot water.

Our room was large though with a large bathroom and very clean and comfortable. The location in the Colonial Zone was great. Easy access to restaurants and shops and to the church we needed to attend for a wedding.

Don’t go there if you want to be respected!

The night shift treated my wife ( she is colored and Dominican, I’m white and European ) as a prostitute; while we were collecting the room’s key, asking me in a very bad manner if I wanted to register her in my room...!! ( the booking of 6 nights was made under her name....!! And at the check in she paid with her credit cards the room..., So I was the accompaining person...!) it is embarrassing to see people in hotel treating their own citizens only because woman and colored in a such orrible manner!!!! Shame on them! We will never be back!!!

A gem in the heart of the Colonial Zone
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This place made us feel like home, pretty nice facilities, the location couldn't be better and the staff was always there to help, the team was on top! We had the swimming pool only for us most of the time which was brilliant <3 Thank you Ana Yasmin for making our visit to SDQ unforgettable!

New management picking up threads...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The lighting...Great on the exterior, cheap energy savers in the rooms spoil general aspect and romance of the rooms!

As a client at El Palacio for 25 years the staff continue to be welcoming and smiley! In the centre of the Colonial zone of Santo Domingo with two great Patios to meet people surrounded by a unique sense of tranquility...25 years says it all!

What a stay for a QUICK GETAWAY!
    • Budget Single Room

Not much that I didn't like. Nothing comes to mind as my experience was great! The only thing I would change would be the pool times. Sometimes staying in the pool later is better than the day.

I enjoyed the STAFF over all! From the time I arrived though the time I departed, the staff was courteous and most helpful with any requests. Always greeted me and always asked if I needed anything.

Typical colonial building, fascinating atmosphere, perfect location
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Perfect location on Calle Duarte, few steps from the colonial area of the city, fascinating colonial building adapted to hotel; the inner courts and stairs and balcony create a lovely atmosphere. We were in a large room with balcony that was very comfortable and nicely furnished, bathroom was large but not recently restyled. Breakfast was nice to have in the inner court with fruit, eggs, coffee and toasts. Swimming Pool is a plus (not all the hotels around have it) to relax after having been around visiting the colonial area of Santo Domingo that shouldn't take more than 1 day in any case...

Good welcome good night sleep but breakfast let the overall experience down.

The room was for three adults not enough towels etc the shower head was broken and breakfast was poor as we needed to keep asking for items which left us wandering how would the staff team cope if it was busy.

The size of the room

You can't beat the location of the hotel, it's right...

The décor in the rooms could use a facelift, and the astro turf around the pool felt a little low-end, but neither of these was a show stopper.

You can't beat the location of the hotel, it's right in the Zona Colonial and one block from the main pedestrian walkway, calle Conde, near Parque Duarte. It's a quaint property with a delightful breakfast. The staff was courteous and the hotel was clean and quiet. I would recommend this hotel to any seasoned traveler.

Bar never staffed and restaurant closes at 9pm and lighting is very dim and no music. I can see it is a challenge for the property to operate the restaurant. I would recommend including breakfast and 1 dinner with every stay. Or at least have that option at an enticing price to drive some traffic and energy. Good little property! Thank you.

Great place to stay

The wait time for dinner was extremely long and not everyone's dish was ready at the same time, however, the food was delicious! They were faster with room service also. There are lots of restaurants within a short walking distance.

A very central location for the Colonial City in Santo Domingo, easy access to visitor sites, shopping and restaurants - all within short walking distance. The staff was friendly and helpful. Kids get free breakfast buffet. Food was delicious. Family felt safe walking around - lots of tourist police can be found as well.

Reliable Property-Beware of Mosquitoes

The staff can be a bit unresponsive at times but overall, it's a nice, close reliable property. The housekeeping staff keeps the doors open when cleaning and mosquitoes are in the room and no doubt you will leave with mosquito bites so take repellent.

The property is close to Zona Colonial which is nice.

Nice hotel in a great location- but heads-up, they charge for the breakfast.

They charge $10 per person for the breakfast, which we felt was a rip-off. It was just a standard mediocre hotel breakfast, nothing special- for this caliber of a hotel, we felt the breakfast should have been included for free. We only ate there the first morning, but after finding out they charged us for it, we went out for breakfast the rest of the days because it was not worth the charge.

The hotel is beautiful, clean, and comfortable. Everything was nice; there's a gorgeous courtyard you can eat in, in the center. The pool was sparkling clean, though it would have been nicer if there was some shade there- umbrellas or something? The location is perfect for spending some time in the zona colonial- close walking to everything.

It works
    • Queen Room - Smoking

The staff customer experience was not the best one, in my own point of view, comparing it with other DR hotels.

The reception staff were not that friendly at least with me, as they were in other places I was during my DR trip, the woman attitude was not pleasant,.

Excellent hotel in Zona Colonial district with beautiful architecture and friendly staff!!
    • Budget Single Room

This place was great. We're from the U.S. and this was our first time to Santo Domingo (one night trip before heading to Samana). The staff was very friendly and helpful and very accommodating of my limited Spanish. The hotel was a beautiful blend of old country architecture (the courtyards were beautiful) and new amenities, particularly A/C. The young woman in the hotel restaurant cooked to order our meal, which was delicious and homemade. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Zona Colonial district. Great job!!!

The room was big and the bed confortable.
    • Queen Room - Smoking

Quality of wifi connection.

The room was big and the bed confortable. Good location close to everything in the city centre. Staff was professional and efficient.

Charming hotel, good location

The beds were kind of hard and are probably due to be replaced. Our AC didn't work properly our last night, but to be fair, I didn't bother to report it. It wasn't hot enough for the hassle.

The building is older, but charming. The courtyard area where the dining is located is very beautiful. I liked the "feel" of the place. It reminded me of some of the places I stayed while spending time in Spain. Also the hotel is a half a block from "El Conde," a pedestrian street with shops and restaurants for tourists, and is close to several of the historical site in the colonial zone.

Clean hotel, wifi is a lie

The wifi never worked during my entire stay. I complained to the staff every day, but it never got fixed, and no one really seemed to care. This was a huge inconvenience since I needed to be in contact with my employer during my trip. Also the gym is a joke, and the pool area is very disappointing.

Spacious, clean room with good A/C. The hotel looks nicer than expected.

The hotel is in the center of the Colonial City.

The hotel is in the center of the Colonial City. Staff were very helpful and the hotel is tremendously cute. I loved the views of the city. Did not use the pool but it looked nice too. Very clean, close to all historic sites.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Great location in the colonial zone
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The property could offer complimentary coffee/tea in the room, I missed a bar where I could have coffee in the morning without paying for full breakfast. I am not sure if the property offers an airport shuttle or tours, I missed the information about it in the reception.

Great location, beautiful building

Hotel with potential!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

$10 for buffet breakfast seems high. Sound traveled into our 1st floor room, making it hard to sleep. Pillow and bed weren't very comfortable. Also, we asked the receptionist about the pricing of a tour and she called the tour guide, who was extremely aggressive and way over priced - did not appreciate being cornered like that.

Easy to walk to all the historical sites, beautiful courtyard, clean.

BEAUTIFUL and SERENE

It was a beautiful building and the rooms was wonderful. Enough space and a huge bathroom. Such a nice escape from the busy on the street. Very quiet and serene.

Hotel oasis right in heart of Santo Domingo's busy Conde shopping and resturant area.
    • Deluxe King Suite

Had problems with toilet a few times.

how peaceful and quiet hotel was. The décor of hotel. The tropical fell inside the garden area. I also loved the room I choose especially the balcony.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Solo traveller
    • Budget Single Room

I saw a roach one day but only one but it seems there was nets flying around in the room bathroom small water runs all over the floor and it had to run a min or to get warm and it was not hot as I like it but tolorable this was the second room I had to change too the first room was totally unacceptable air did not work not good for a country that has 80-90+ degree weather as a norm and the late night bell man always begging weather you coming in or leaving

good location. Good security.

My weekend at Hotel Boutique Palacio

Closet space not great ; poor quality image on TV ; staff friendly but lacked "service attitude" : they couldn't care less if you stayed with them or stayed elsewhere

Big rooms with big bathrooms ; confortable bed

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Breakfast Not Included and Rooms Expensive

The breakfast was not included, when we paid a lot of money for the room (there are other hotels in the same area much cheaper and nearly as nice), and this was not mentioned at any point until we checked out and had to pay $10 each for it. Also, it was meant to finish at 10am but they started to pack away well before that, meaning that we had to rush to get the last bits and pieces of what was left at 9.45, which wasn't much. And then we got charged for the privilege. The staff were not sympathetic.

The beds were very comfortable and the location was good.

Had a wonderful stay!

Had a wonderful stay! Beautiful property and close to all the important sites in the zona colonial. Have stayed here before and looking forward to going back :)

Interesting place if you like old style hotels
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

2 staff I encountered at reception really unfriendly. Slightly overpriced. I am still looking for the perfect place to stay in Santo Domingo

Interesting place if you like old style hotels. The location is really in the heart of the zone colonial which is perfect.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Worth visiting

Parking. great that we had it, but very awkward.

The history and architecture of the hotel was amazing! And we could walk everywhere in the colonial part of Santo Domingo

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Fine except for no hot water and bad attitude by front desk staff
    • Budget Single Room

There was no hot water. when I asked for some amount to be taken off the bill, I was told the manager "was not in". I mentioned that reviews are important to a hotel and behold! the manager appeared! I was told I would receive a refund of some kind but of course, that has not happened.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Good for one night in the Colonial City

Internet wasnt working. Not enough towels ready in the room. Breakfast charge additional and not worth the money. Pool on the roof isnt as nice as it looks on the photos Everything quite old and used. Some rooms very small.

Nice colonial building. Good location in the Zona Colonial.

Beautiful rooms and amazing location!

The air conditioners were really noisy and didn't cool.

The room was very large and beautiful! The bathroom was really nice. The view from the balcony was nice. The breakfast buffet had great variety and the food was delicious.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Nice and old spanish style building in the Ciudad colonial

The old spanish style of the building gives a Nice cachet tout thé hotel. Thé location in the Ciudad colonial is perfect. The staff is efficient and kind. The room was clean.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Definitely recommend this hotel as value for money .
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Can't think o f anything

Very good ambiance right in the centre of the old town of Santa Domingo: we could walk to everything. Comfortable rooms with good air conditioning and even a small pool on the roof. An old building rather than impersonal modern one.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

Simple breakfast, interesting old Building

AC smell, breakfast simple and expansiv, Price for the Rom relatively high, old is old

Central in Old city, garage, old interesting Building, for this age in a good Shape

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Lovely relaxing atmosphere in the center of Zona Colonial
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I would have loved a booklet or guide to the surrounding area - for instance, local restaurants, where is the closest Catholic Church, where to change money etc. guests were loud at night and due to the courtyard design, it kept me up

The room decor, having a mini fridge, breakfast was good, location was great. Pool was nice for an afternoon cool down

Fair for 1 night

Unfriendly staff (long and tired faces). Room furniture is outdated and bathroom vanity broken. Too much dust under the beds. TV's image way too noisy. Trash along sidewalks outside.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Nice, well maintained and centrally located hotel

Don't expect a smile from the receptionist (all of them, we stayed for three days). There was a car alarm going off several times during the night interrupting your sleep.

Nice hotel. Well maintained. Large, comfortable triple room. Elevator. Very clean. Private parking with a guard (a must if driving!). A couple of blocks from all the sights.

Good

I believe at least water bottle should be given to us for free as a courtesy. We should not have to pay for it since food was not included. Breakfast buffet should have more food variety to choose from.

The room was big, clean and confortable. The hotel location is convenient and close to other attractions. Staff was very professional and helpful.

I would stay here again.
    • Queen Room - Smoking

Although the restaurant menu in the room says it is open from 3 to 9 p.m., the restaurant was not open in the evenings. There are many excellent restaurant options on El Conde and surrounding streets but if you are tired of being out and just want to stay at hotel for dinner or a drink, this hotel is not really set up for that.

The location is excellent for anyone wanting to spend time in the Colonial Zone.