Reviews of Hostal Astoria 2 stars

Carrera San Jeronimo, 30-32 5º, Madrid City Centre, 28014 Madrid, Spain

#133 of 372 B&Bs and Inns in Madrid

A great discovery!
    • Double or Twin Room

Hostal Astoria was a great discovery. We stayed there for 6 nights, in a double room with an amazing terrace and en-suite bathroom. The location is fantastic, it was very hot in Madrid so we could literally go everywhere we wanted and go back to the hotel incredibly easy. It is quite close to all the most important museums (Thyssen, Prado...), you can get there with a 20-minute walk. It is also close to great restaurants, the staff is fantastic, and also we forgot something in our room, and after the checkout the cleaning staff managed to get it back to us!

Amazing location and good value for money.
    • Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning didn't work in our room and instead of admitting it and changing the room they lied to us. At 2 am in the morning we had to complain again and was at that point when they changed the room. Very disappointing.

Amazing location and good value for money.

The rooms were basic, but very clean and adequate for my...

The rooms were basic, but very clean and adequate for my needs as only there to sleep. Location was excellent and I felt very comfortable and safe being female travelling solo.

Hotel in center even if a little small
    • Double or Twin Room

The room is very small but for a couple of days, it's fine.

This hotel is in the center of Madrid where it is noisy but we didn't hear anything in our room. The room was clean.

Great location and super clean!

According on the directions of how to get there, the nearest metro station is Sevilla; however, the station is closed due to works as I was advised by the train station staff. A notification would have been great! Room could optimise the space a bit more. I had to move the night table to be able to get a plug to charge my mobile. Shower is compact, there is a shower curtain that sticks to your body when you're showering; not great! Also, there is a hair dryer from the seventies.

Location was great and the room super clean & quiet despite being in the centre of Madrid!

Great location in the center of Madrid
    • Double or Twin Room

Amazing location! We did not use tube at all, you can walk from here to any central point in Madrid. Tube Sol is stone throw away from Astoria. Room has all you need and was clean enought. Good basic hotel to explore the city and around.

The room was clean .
    • Double or Twin Room

I booked room with two single beds , but there was only one very very small doble bed. So we change thre room - The new room with single beds was very very small, next to reception - so we listened all phone and bell ringing and every person who was speaking in reception desk.

The room was clean .

If looking for a good location, it is the perfect place to stay.

It was noisy at night as you could hear people coming and in and out of the corridors. Also the noise from hoovering could be heard in the morning as well.

The location was excellent. It was on walking distance to most of the tourist attractions in the city.

Nice !
    • Double or Twin Room

WI FI should be improved in room, quite low signal, but outside room is excellent Unfortunately the wi fi is not availble on terrace, it would be very nice to get wi fi on the terrace

Excellent location, very close to Porta del Sol, the hotel is in historical palace, quite nice, and room has a nice terrace room is little small but it is good

Perfect place for a weekend, great value for money (no...

Perfect place for a weekend, great value for money (no luxury not you have all needed), good location within walking distance to any major point, also not far from Sibeles - connection to the airport

Clean, modern hostal in excellent location to stay a coupple of days in Madrid
    • Double or Twin Room

For the price that we paid, it was an excellent experience. It s in kind of an office building and the lobby is not that nice, but it s excellent if you are looking for a comfortable and well located place to crash a couple of days in madrid.

For a two star "Hostal" I expected a small, humit and old room. Astoria was nothing like that: the facilities are new, comfortable bed, new and quite nice furniture. Excellent location and cleaniliness, the room was quite big and comfortable. The staff is not very friendly, but they respond to all our requests.

Never again!
    • Double or Twin Room

Greeting was terrible. Ladies were too busy chatting with the assumption I didn’t understand their Spanish. I did. I was almost turned away because I didn’t have a passport (I hadn’t travelled any borders for my stay). My booking said 2 persons, when I asked I was told this is because I had. Double bed only to find I had a twin room. I asked to change and this was done. The room bedding was thin and had to ask for an extra blanket. Shutter doors wouldn’t closed properly which meant a lot of noise from the street. The walls were so thin I could hear from My room other guests yawning, shaving etc in their rooms. I was not shown to my room and had trouble given poor signage and two sets of stairs. I had to ask to be shown my room after getting lost!

Great location though very noisy st night.

Closeness of Retiro park for the morning jogging.

It's a bit noisy. Door ring is loud, and people keep coming in till late night (it's Madrid). Elevator, air-condition, lavatory...I heard all in my room.

Closeness of Retiro park for the morning jogging. It opens at 6h so no excuse.

A place to lay your head

The room was fine, but there was a funky drain smell coming from the bathroom.

Great location right in the centre of Madrid. Who can complain about that? They did not have the heating on, which is great for me, but might affect someone who likes it warm.

Friendly staff and clean room and inside room no so noise...

Room with view to a patio. Too high to see the patio, just view of other windows.

Friendly staff and clean room and inside room no so noise from street

Excellent location and value for money!
    • Double or Twin Room

The smell of the room. The smoke extractor of the restaurant underneath was very close to my window.

What I like the most was the location and the value for money. It was very clean and overall convenient. I would recommend it for a business trip for sure.

Very (very!
    • Double or Twin Room

It might get a bit noisy because the lounge is petty close to the rooms.

Very (very!) well located in the city center. Everything about the hotel was good, the staff, the room.....

The staff was kind and the room was clean.
    • Double or Twin Room

When I took a long shower, hot water ran out.

The staff was kind and the room was clean. From the door to the room, there is a kind of short corridor so that it seems to keep the room more private.

It was my/our first experience with a riad as a building...

The room type was changed from Jr. Suite with fireplace to a reg. double with an added single bed (not a rollaway.) They were very skimpy with towels and the toilet seat was broken.

It was my/our first experience with a riad as a building type and the staff were very friendly and engaging. They seemed well-connected with car services, local tours, etc. and accepted everything as room charges: It wasn't necessary to use cash for anything bought from or booked through the riad. It was a cultural experience: Strictly viewed as a hotel accommodation, it frankly didn't rate very high. But as an opportunity to experience life in a Kasbah, it was really good.

Nice little place, fantastic location.
    • Double or Twin Room

The single beds kept sliding apart! It would have been nice to have an English channel on TV (BBC or CNN News). But other than that it was all good!

The location was very central and my room was at the back so no traffic noise at all.

Disappointed with this room
    • Double or Twin Room

I am not sure that you get the best rooms in this hotel when using zBookings .com It something that Bookings.com should look at. When we return to Madrid we would not use this hotel again.

The location was great , with lots to see and plenty of places to eat

Good old style, clean & central

ras

Good old authentic spanish style, no fancy useless things, no need for a restaurant for on the street there are hundreds nearby. Very central location.

Great location!
    • Double or Twin Room

The room had a strong cigarette smell. A/C was not fantastic. Got a bit warm during the night.

Location, location, location. Price was also decent considering all other options available.

Good value for money and well located.
    • Double or Twin Room

We arrived on a Sunday and dropped off luggage and parked the car in a car park, We left Monday and collecting our luggage was really complicated as the road outside was parked wall to wall with delivery lorries. There was just nowhere to stop even for 30 seconds. For this I would not recommend the location for people arriving by car

Good value for money and well located. Room was recently decorated and had a nice terrace. Good bathroom and plenty of hot water.

Great location and clean, but loud noises at times

The bathroom is good but a bit small. I could hear any sound from the hall. Especially in the morning, the noises disturbed my sleep.

The location is great, right near the very centre of madrid. The room is cleaned everyday. And of course the air con is a big plus given the temperature

Simple and affordable hotel, good to enjoy Madrid all day long and have a place to sleep

the entrance to the building is rather dark by night

- booked it before taking the flight to Madrid, got there at 1AM and everything was ready :) - right in Madrid's center!

Great quality/price for Madrid. Location, location, location.

Although well equipped and comfortable, the room was claustrophobically small. The air conditioning of my neighbour was making a soft but persistent humming noise, which caused me some problems with falling asleep. In general though, I think it these are relatively irrelevant things if you travel alone. I probably wouldn't recommend it for families.

The hostel is at the top floor of one of the buildings around 300m from Puerta del Sol - excellent location. The single room had everything you need. It looked like a miniature version of room in a good hotel. The staff was nice and helpful whenever you needed it. Quality/price ratio - awesome.

The airconditioning didn't work.
    • Double or Twin Room

The airconditioning didn't work. They said that you´d fix it, but they didn't. Also, we could smell people smoking in other rooms and sometimes the smell of their bathrooms.

Short distances to attractive locations.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room service unnecessarily took away our bedsheets on every occasion, despite the reportedly short suppy of water in the City.

Short distances to attractive locations. No trouble checking in or out and very capable AC.

Great place, close to everything we wanted to see
    • Double or Twin Room

At night outside was little loud so we had to keep windows close al night, but with air condition working it was ok.

Nice, quiet, clean hostel, in the center of Madrid, close to all museums .

Central location, rather pricey for what it is, not entirely clean
    • Double or Twin Room

Close to the Puerta del Sol, i.e. the place has a very central location and the room was big enough. However, I was missing an iron, found hairs in the towels twice, and found the room rather pricey for what it was. Also, it would be difficult to access the room we had with a baby carriage. This is why I didn't give it maximum ratings.

Quite bad experience with this 2 star hostal
    • Double or Twin Room

Extremely poor wifi service, intermittent. Room toilet has very strong toilet smell, actually Hostal corridor had strong toilet smell as well. Got real tiny bugs on floor that feet got bitten. Air conditioner - too cold at night that we could not adjust temperature, Gor real unlucky with my large storage luggage for 2 days damaged with a small dent.

Just location is close to Sol metro, provide 24 hrs reception

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

All you need for a short stay in Madrid.
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is on the fifth floor and the elevator is very small. The room is quite basic and has a very small bathroom. But don't worry: the room is clean and not at all noisy. You just have to get used to the airco (and you will need that: Madrid can be extremely hot). The hotel is not really suitable if you travel with small children.

Good value for money. The location (right in the Centre of Madrid) is excellent. Close to the museums (Prado, Thyssen), the Metro and many restaurants. The hotel does not serve breakfast but there are plenty of options (from cheap to a little less cheap) in the street, close to the hotel. And there is a bakery next door!

The location is very good, near to Sol subway station.
    • Double or Twin Room

Wifi connection was not really good, and as our room was near the laundry room it was quite difficult to rest.

The location is very good, near to Sol subway station.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

unbeatable quality price ratio

Real good quality price. Although its a 5th Floor "Hostal". Rooms are good hotel rooms. It's central, walking distance from down town and main central attractions. Also, best Spanish traditional Jijona Turron (Almond nougats) are on sale in a superb old shop just next to hotel entrance.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Good location and value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

A little difficult to spot. 2 entrances - best to use the first one as you go up the street. We had a few problems with the wi-fi.

Very comfortable beds. Friendly reception staff. Very clean. Good shower. Excellent breakfast cafe a few doors up the street.

Plaza del Sol

I stayed very little bit in the room in the only one day spent here. Location is the best, personal and room was confortabile. I will return when I can!

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Don't take a room with double bed - not worth the money.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room too small , bathroom FAR too small, The small room with double bed (407) should ,in any case,cost less than the larger rooms with twin beds. No indication was given at reception that there was such a large difference in the quality of the rooms ( We saw the other rooms the next morning) Very unhappy with this. Definitely will not return.

bed was comfy.

I paíd $250.

I paíd $250.00 per night, while the room next door to ours was paying $100.00p/n. They also have a triple room and made the reservation by Booking the same week..

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Location is great - 2 mins walk from Sol, central Madrid.
    • Double or Twin Room

Air con in room wasn't effective. Quite easy to hear noise from rooms across the hall.

Location is great - 2 mins walk from Sol, central Madrid. Helpful & friendly staff (and English-speaking), proper twin beds (not two singles right next to each other).

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

Loved the location. Place is very clean . Receptionist very helpful and spoke good English. She helped me print my online check in info. A gem of a place tucked away and value for money. Has even a pulley type clothes line out of the window over looking a tiny open air courtyard. The shutters are kind of one of a kind. Elevator unique and old but functionality very good. Would stay here again. Very close to Cibeles fountain where I took the cheap airport bus to go to airport. It felt like I was staying in someone's home.

Comfortable and nice room

You have to do many stairs to reach the hotel. No lift or elevator.

Tiny and comfortable double bedroom that I got instead of a single room. Nice and smiling staff. Located in a great area in the centre of Madrid.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Great hotel in perfect location to enjoy wonderful Madrid

Everything was perfect

Great location (1 minute to Sol and 5 minutes to Prado), spotlessly clean, good wi-fi, friendly staff. Our room was ready for arrival time (11.00 am) and secure room available for luggage on last day. No breakfast provided but so many local cafes - try Museo Jamon. Great value for money.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

very nice!
    • Double or Twin Room

Very small, but still nice. had a coffe mashine in the hall but didnt work! should be repeared if it s already standing there, dissapointment to find it not working in the morning,

Great comodity, bed and shower excellent! Doble balcony.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Great location, good clean accomodation but unhelpful staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff we not very helpful and didn't seem willing/able to speak English. The drinks dispenser was often out of order and not in the same location as our room meaning we had to enter the hostal on the floor below.

Very nice bathroom and spacious bedroom.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

N

Great location. Central to most of Madrid's major attractions. The room I had was a single ans it did the job for the 2 nights I was there. The staff were nice.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

my stay at hostel Astonia Madrid Spain

I like the location its perfect for a tourist and if u on holiday. Sightseeing historical places are walking distance. The rooms are always clean and the hostel is surrounded with restaurant and bars. Metro only 2 mins walk.

The bed is ok. Book for a single bed but was upgraded to double bed.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Good price-quality value, but unpersonal

Staff is helpfull but not passionated about their city and job. I missed people who love their city and want to make tourists a part of it.

Comfortable room but small bathroom. Location in city centre. Metro nearby ( 10 min walk).

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Great location but sullen staff with limited facilities

Having absolutely no hot drink availability wasn't good, and if the staff attitude had been better it would have given the whole place a better 'feel'.

Great location in central Madrid and clean - but stuff sullen and not overly helpful. No food facilities (but very close to many cafes/restaurants), no tea/coffee/water in room - hot drink machine in foyer broken (cost of 1 euro when working), cold drinks machine working (again at cost 1-1.5 euro). Hostal on 5th floor (lift available), room small cramped some lights not working and decor 'tired' looking. There was a lot of maintenance going on (painting etc) when I stayed so decor may be getting an upgrade. Saw many many other accommodation options right next to this one and left feeling there's probably better value for money elsewhere - it wasn't a disastrous choice (great location, clean and safe) just wasn't a great one.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

a good hotel in city center.

airconditioning not working but not a big deal coz the weather is cold. But in summer it will be a problem.

The staff were kind and accomodating. Theres a lounge area. Clean room and short walk to puerto del sol metro.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Location was good, near El Prado , La Reina Sophia and...
    • Double or Twin Room

One female staff member who seemed to do the morning/ early afternoon shift seemed a bit bothered by our enquiries. Impatient/bordering on annoyed.

Location was good, near El Prado , La Reina Sophia and interesting shops and restaurants. Rooms were small but clean and adequate. Most of the staff were personable and helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Best sleep in ages !
    • Double or Twin Room

Space between bed and desk was very little and hard to patio , room very small , shower good but way too small

Really comfortable bed ,nice sheets too and pillows , best sleep I had in ages , beautiful large patio though people across and above watching you all the time Staff were really nice

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Great location, room and shower small but perfectly adequate.
    • Double or Twin Room

A little fridge and kettle would have been good

Great location, room and shower small but perfectly adequate. Tricky to find, but that’s minor...

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Nice people.

Just small space.

Nice people. Clean and quiet hostel.

Madrid is a nice city anctive although it’s little bit expensive

The hotel is very clean quite closed to sol place many coffee shops and restaurants and stores around ,add the rate is resenable

There is no breakfast you need to find a breakfast place by...
    • Double or Twin Room

There is no breakfast you need to find a breakfast place by your self

Perfect location, cozy room

It starts to get a bit noisy after 8am here, which is not my time of waking up

Perfect location, cozy room

Good budget hotel, Great location, perfect place for a...

Good budget hotel, Great location, perfect place for a couple of days.

Comfortable, with big window and Juliet balcony

Comfortable, with big window and Juliet balcony

In general I liked the stay as I was single traveler.

There is no fridge in the room, which is not big problem anyway.

The location is very good, close to most to the famous locations in Madrid.

only the location

everything

only the location

The air conditioning didn't work in our room and it was...
    • Double or Twin Room

The air conditioning didn't work in our room and it was really hot. The WiFi was terrible too!!

Excellent location

I booked a single room and it was very small. The room decor could be easily improved.

Excellent location

Smoke smell

Smoke smell

Good overnight prior to semifinal of Champions League

A little bit overpriced, say a quarter of price.

Central location with everything nearby.

Excellent stay!

Perfect location to get a feel of the city!

In the centre of Madrid

The rooms were not isolated one can hear the neighbours when they talk

Confortable, very central and good price/quality

mould on wall.

mould on wall. odour in room

The afternoon and night desk personnel were exceptionally...

The morning desk person could be more friendly.

The afternoon and night desk personnel were exceptionally nice and pleasant.

Hostel was central, provided everything I required and will definitely be back

Very central

Very comfortable, clean and well presented

Prices

Prices

Top class service. Staff very helpful. Good hot water and comfortable bed

It was very good and I will stay there again on my next visit to madrid

Good place

Bit expensive.

Clean. Central.

Excellent will use them again.

Exactly what I expected. Staff helpful, central location and good facilities.

The location is great.
    • Double or Twin Room

The location is great. Central of Madrid. Staff is very helpful and friendly. The room is small but very comfy. I would recommend it!!

Browse Hostal Astoria traveller photo gallery