Reviews of Hostal Asunción 2 stars

6.2

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

If I return I will book it again
    • Double single room

The internet somtimes is very strong and other times is not even visible but it was not a big issue .

I’m impressed by how smooth and easy the checking in went without seeing the staff, your one the smartest hotel i’ve used without wasting the guest’s time . Staff were very nice and available whenever needed. Very close to the Metro and Touristic places, restaurants are just beside. I highly recommend it .

Nice location , a good value for money ,the room is ok but .
    • Double single room

Check in was horrible, they were rude and not helpful, giving instructions through the intercom , asking me to do their work. I arrived tired and just wanted to get to my room but it wasn’t an easy process. The person who checked me in was laughing on me if I fail to understand what she was saying ! How rude ! never stay there again even if I was offered the room for free

Nice location , a good value for money ,the room is ok but ....hospitality industry is not for everyone! People need really to be trained on how to interact with the guests ! Those unprofessional hosts and hostels are growing..which raises so many concerns

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

The cost and the location were great.
    • Double single room

The check in process for us was a bit clunky although it ended up working well, it just took time. The air conditioning unit was also quite noisy - it made unusual clicking sounds. The shower curtain was a little bit too short and water ran out and into the bathroom. Unfortunately for them the first room they gave us, the lock did not work but we were moved to another room straight away.

The cost and the location were great. Not having a key is also a benefit. They also let us use a secure storage cupboard for our things as we arrived before our check in time. The staff make use of WhatsApp and remote monitoring so the only person you actually see is the cleaning lady.

It is very clean, rooms look good, has little patio with...

Their system is extremely weird. We arrived there from Barcelona. It is far from airport. When we reached there after lot of hassles in airport and transportation, there is no one in the reception. There was no air conditioning or air circulation, we were just out of breath. Someone was talking to me over microphone and watching us through camera. He asked us to make the full payment either in euro cash or through card/ paypal. We didn’t have hat much euro so I asked him to punch my card which was in the system. But his bank could not go through my card, where as i was using the card in 7 other cities in Europe. He insisted to go for paypal. I requested him to give me the room so i can breath a bit ( it was extremely hot in the reception) and i will make the payment in 5 minutes. And i will need access to wifi to access to paypal in my laptop. He declined. He would not do anything until payment is clear. We had to unpack luggage, take my laptop out, pay through paypal, send him the screenshot through WhatsApp. Then he let us in. And gave us a wrong room with queen bed, but we booked for twin bed. Thanks fully he changed it immediately. May be they did the whole system for their own security, but it is very inconvenient for the tourists. What if we don’t use WhatsApp, or phone doesn’t have internet. How do we contact them. After my credit card details are given , we do not expect such hassles after arriving following hectic journey from another country. It is their problem if their bank can’t go through the system. In this trip we had been in 6 other hotels, none of them had any issue with the card. Payment was smooth.

It is very clean, rooms look good, has little patio with every room. location is very good. Stores and transportation are right beside.

Un-manned check-in
    • Double single room

The reception is un-manned and you need to pay in cash by putting the money in a safe. They communicate through Whatsapp, a camera and a speaker. Really weird.

Location was good and the room was decent.

Low level experience.

Very noisy street and the bedroom was badly insulated.bed unconfortable and with a leg bended. old windows. It is evident the maintanence kept at minimum. Not recommended.

only the central position

Good location but too expensive
    • Double single room

You definitely pay the location. The room was okay with a small window, the shower was small, functional but did not smell very good.

The communcation with the staff was perfect. Eveything is through Whatsapp but they reply very quickly. The location was super great, north of Malasaña / Chueca. Only 20min walk to Plaza del Sol. Essentials and facilities were alright, not outstanding for the price. I recommend for one or two nights.

Totally worth it!
    • Quadruple Room

Great remote service, big thank you to the stuff for your patience when my card was encountering some issues while being charged. Communication via WhatsApp is also a great idea!

Nice hotel in the city centre9

Perfect location in the city centre ! Room was simple and clean. It was surprising that you speak to a camera and not a real person for check in and we relied on speaking Spanish.

Location, location, location!
    • Double single room

The check-in was not good. I requested in my booking if we could check-in a bit earlier, as we had a red-eye from Canada. Any earlier would be great. I did not get an answer. When we were at the airport, I sent them another email. Five minutes later I received a phone call, however my bf and I could not understand the person. When we arrived at the hotel, no one was answering. We had to go to the hostel next door TWICE for help, as we did not have phones. Thank heavens they were very helpful, because no one at our hostel was. No one gave us "codes" to get in the hotel, so after a while of trying to press the buzzer, the house cleaning lady finally screamed the buzzer # out the window. We have been outside for one hour. When we get in the hostal, instead of greeting us, she would talk through intercom. She was giving us directions of what to write down on a piece of paper but we had no pen. It was very awkward and weird. She said our room would be ready in 15 min, but by then it was already 2PM anyway. We are easy going, but that experience and being very tired from our flight was unpleasant. Also, the shower was easily floaded.

The location was fantastic! Close to metro, walking distance to all of our favorite locations, and 1 euro beers at restaurant below. This made it worth it.

Hilarious check in procedure, talking to a camera, half cut.
    • Economy Single Room

Hilarious check in procedure, talking to a camera, half cut. But all cool. Nice place. It's above Domino's pizza if you can't find it like me. Very clean and excellent value.

no reception, no staff, spoke to a camera and requested my...
    • Economy Single Room

no reception, no staff, spoke to a camera and requested my credit card through the speaker, it says 24 h reception but I arrived at 5am and had to stay out in the could until 11am

Relaxed stay -once you manage to get in.
    • Double single room

Getting in was a proper hassle. The hotel says they use whatsapp for communication but can you find them on whatsapp? Nope. They also give phone numbers that do not appear on whatsapp nor do they answer when you try to call them. The key is to wait for them to invite you to their private group, which might happen or might not happen. So be prepared to join whatsapp and give them the number at the time of reservation and hope for the best...

Good location, quiet rooms

Nice location not an ideal place to stay

It took a while for the check in and all with a Camara looking at me kind of annoying not to have a real person to handle the check in process or welcome you.

The location was nice

Easy access and great location
    • Double single room

We booked a room with balcony, they give us one without it. We had to ask for it a few time till they give it to us.

Everything was through WhatsApp. Theres no staff in the lobby. Just codes to open doors.

Excellent Location
    • Double single room

A little renovation maybe.

Location is few steps away from the metro. Stores, restaurants are everywhere. Red bus tour may not be necessary as most of the spots can be visited by walking.

Surprisingly good quality rooms with private bathroom, heating and A.C..Value for money unbeatable.
    • Double single room

Check-in was different; all by WhatsApp/Intercom but everything went well and I was given the access codes quickly upon arrival.

I got an amazing price on a room and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the rooms, although not ultra modern, the room was functional, clean, and perfect for a short stay in Madrid. Comfortable bed. Amazing location at heart of Alonso Martinez; close to the metro.

Scary place
    • Double single room

Weird not to ever see a face, impersonal. Rooms are locked by 4# codes. I woke up twice with my door wide open except for the chain lock I had put on. Very scary, a break in? Loud American neighbors in the adjacent building partied til 6am. Horrible. Never again!

Good location next to metro.

Bed was comfy if a bit small, and room was very clean.
    • Economy Single Room

My room was quiet the first night but after that I kept hearing loud plumbing noises over my head. Second morning the hall was as noisy as a cheap hotel in India. Room was also very small.

Bed was comfy if a bit small, and room was very clean. check in and out was a breeze.

• Double single room

The guy in the desk was a jurk. We came and waited that some one will talk to us ..untill it happens the guy in the seat told we will take care of it. After half an hour other family came because they spoke Spanish they got threat before us!! Second the door room was broken. Water from the shower gone to the carpet room. No window in the toilet so all the room smells like s .hit

Nothing.big dissapointment

Surreal experience

The bathroom was really tiny.

The stay was nice. The communication with the staff using microphones and cameras was especially cool. The overall experience was like from a movie. Very nice view from the window.

Nice hotel without staff
    • Double single room

Check-in was easy but it's true that should be mentioned there is no staff (except cleaners). No view from window.

Clean, comfy and spacious double room. Very good location but not too noisy. I actually liked it that there is no staff and no keys.

I guess you get what you pay for and Madrid was very busy.
    • Double single room

I guess you get what you pay for and Madrid was very busy. Cheap clean, noise was bad could hear people making love in the next room both morning at 5:30 AM. No reception language issue codes for all doors hard to understand.

Location was really good, clean room, good toilet and...

Was not so easy to check- in, no keys, only codes to open doors. Was difficult 1St time. When we have done it, next time was easy.

Location was really good, clean room, good toilet and bathroom, clean sheets, 2nd floor.

The bed was comfortable and the room and facilities very...
    • Economy Single Room

I would have preferred to see a person rather than complete the check in process through an intercom.

The bed was comfortable and the room and facilities very clean.

Some good some bad.

There was no indication from Booking.com or Asunscion that this was an unstaffed facility and that the only way to get in and out would be through codes on the front door, the upstairs door to reception and to the room. The signage was little bigger than a postage stamp. My daughter quipped that getting into this place was a little like a scene out of Get Smart. I think they should let their customers know in advance.

Value for money and great location.

Basic, terrible service as no staff on-site.
    • Economy Single Room

Waited 20 minutes outside, at no one was answering the door. There is no reception staff on-site. In the end a neighbour let me inside, and then finally got hold of the staff via phone.

Room was clean but basic.

Good place.
    • Double single room

No reception - all is automatizated, first few minutes you can't understand what happened and what to do.

No reception - all is automatizated: with code locks, cameras and dinamics, you can speak with receptionist by skype(?) but everything is understandable after few minutes :) and they are available all time. You can ask all you need. They cleaned room every day, gave us toilet things, didn't touch our belongings. Good view and balcon.

I liked the situation of the property and the strange fact...
    • Double single room

Strange at first, the fact that there is no staff.

I liked the situation of the property and the strange fact that there is no staff, everything is done through skype when you get there.

Especially the location of the hostel is excellent.
    • Double single room

We talked someone with some kind of skype system instead of face to face while we are checkin in and it was kinda creepy. We couldnt see who we are talking to but she could see us like we are guilty.

Especially the location of the hostel is excellent. It is close to everything shops, subway etc. and the area is safe enough. You can easily walk to the museums in the city. Also everything was so tidy.

I will definitely be coming back to Madrid and will definitely consider staying at this location.
    • Double single room

I didn't like that you couldn't communicate with the staff face to face, you would have to talk to them through an intercom it was weird but it was also our firsts time at a hostel so not sure if thats normal.

The location was prime. Everything we wanted to do was literally with in walking distance. There's was tons of shops and restaraunts and bars all around. We had a private room and private bathroom. It was over all an awesome experience.

Good location and near to what you need urgently.
    • Double single room

Pillows should be changed into a comfortable pillow.

The hostal is very close to metro station Alonso Martinez and everything, this is my favorite hostal whenever I stay in Madrid, but I do notice that the pillows are to small and uncomfortable to sleep with a small pillow, and the remote control of the TV is not working I have to get from bed each time I change chanel.the rest are good,

Value for money

The entry into the property with electronic entry and talking to someone through a speaker and camera is somewhat impersonal. Our first room had air con that didnt work properly so we managed to move rooms the next day. 37 deg in Madrid not ideal. The second room was great.

The cleaning staff helped us move rooms and were amazing.

Good place to be for a short, budget stay.
    • Economy Single Room

It was really noisy in the night - people shouting and breaking bottles. It was hard to find the hostel - maybe a big sign in front of the door will be nice. Also I didn't feel safe when there is nobody on the reception and the only way to talk with staff is Skype connection.

It was just the perfect location - next to the metro and close by walking to the major attractions in Madrid. A lot of places to have a dinner around it. Staff was helpful. The room had an air conditioning which was really nice.

Functional for sleep and clean, but a little impersonal
    • Double single room

The push button, code entry system to the room felt a bit like a cell, as did the lack of a physical receptionist at any time during my stay. OK I was late in arriving (about 12:45am) but I checked out at 08:15 and still only spoke via a two way speaker system.

Good central location near Alonso Martinez metro station

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

An affordable no-frills place to stay in Madrid
    • Double single room

First, the hostel was somewhat difficult to find. We went back and forth past the door several times before we asked someone standing in the doorway who told us that the hostel was on the second floor. When we got to the second floor, there were two locked doors without any identification we could see. We figured out to buzz the buzzer and were given a number to punch into the keypad, which let us into an unattended small lobby. We eventually figured out that we needed to communicate though a speaker with an unseen person located who-knows-where. Once we got through the process, it was fine but the process itself was unfamiliar to us and therefore uncomfortable. The only minor drawback was that there were very few electrical outlets. To charge our electronic devices, we needed to unplug the TV and use its outlet. It wasn't a big deal but it was a minor inconvenience.

The location was fine and the price, for a place to sleep, was fair. The building was old but the room was clean and adequate for our purposes for one night. We arrived in Madrid at noon on Friday and needed to wait until Saturday for our train to Sevilla, so we were only looking for a place to sleep.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Uncomfortable due to unease and disappointment.
    • Quadruple Room

We didn't like the absence of a person to greet us. It felt insecure, giving our personal room key code out loud over the intercom in front of a complete stranger who we didn't know. He may have been part of the hostal but we had no way of knowing if he was or not. Our room door didn't seem too solid either, it felt as though anyone may be able to push it open.

Not much.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Double single room

The location was very good, easy to reach all the touristic sites from the location. Plaza Santa Barbara itself is very lively and with manz locals. The surrounding streets are full of restaurants, local stores for clothing and design.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Fantastic location in the heart of Madrid.
    • Double single room

No ventilation in the bathroom, could be overcome by opening both window and bathroom door though.

Fantastic location in the heart of Madrid. The fact that there is no reception is understandable given the price and people were always available and helpful (English speaking) on the intercom. A/C available for hot days.

Good location, poor staff
    • Double single room

I stood outside for a few minutes before I was let in. Doesn't sound like long but when you have all your luggage and you're in a main plaza it is. Once I got to level 2 reception, I spoke to a man through intercom. He then let me in. I then had to speak to him again all through intercom. The first night there was extremely loud music played next door as well as loud talking and smoking could be smelt. I phoned reception and they sort of laughed and said they'd call the room but nothing changed so I don't think they called, and certainly didn't bother visiting them. It only stopped when the people went out at 1am. Not impressed with staff.

Good location and comfortable

A bit annoying
    • Double single room

The fact that there was no reception. Talking to a camera without seeing anybody is quite strange. They could have at least showed their face on the screen, but it was not on, so you could not know whether the one you were talking to was on the toilet or at an office. I think it is a matter of respect.

Position

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

We booked a double with a view and got that.
    • Double single room

We booked a double with a view and got that. While some might argue that having no one at reception desk and not having keys, our experience has been no reception even though it was advertised (you had to ring and someone would arrive);. Being given codes for access to building and room means individual guests can come and go without relying on the other party for keys. Very close to the metro and printer when our boarding passes needed printing;. Exceptional value for the price

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Good value for transit stay
    • Double single room

They said they would return with my change but never did, didn't like smell of tobacco in room. Unfortunately was not able to change rooms.

Disappointment.
    • Double single room

no personnal contact with the staff, everything is running via electronic codes (streat door, floor door, room door), contact with the reception only through camera, the monay are charged without your approval, not possible to obtain an invoice in case you need it for your office.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

Not one member of staff, but a camera. Not feeling of safety. But, a Big Brother house.
    • Double single room

Please management-owner consider having one member of staff at least in reception: for safety reasons and fairness on the neighbours. There is not reception, not personal of staff that you could see, contact in case of an emergency or in case of needing something. The caretaker (conserje) of the building, is the one helping guests, informing them about amenities or where to eat or to go. The entrance to the building as well as the main door where the rooms are located is with codes. Anyone could follow me and go into the building. It is not saved. Not only regarding the guests, but essentially for the neighbours. There is not an emergency exit; the smoke alarm seems not to have light, not sure if it works. I was given with a mini-room, too tiny although I asked for a bedroom with bath. The corridors are too tiny. Towels too small, also. It is stated that you could leave a suitcase in a store room, but there is not control of who leaves what. There is not provided with a hairdryer, also it is stated. And the toiletries are not good (gel). No kettle facilities. TV small. Old deco and furniture. Green and dark colours, depressing. The checkin is done by a camera (CCTV). You do not see anyone I believe this could be against the DATA protection Act. There are no signs of informing that there are cameras (at least I saw one), potentially recording. I went to eat breakfast to the coffee shops downstairs, and I came back to my room to rest, when at 10:30 am one of the cleaners opened my door. She told me that she was informed that I left. Obviously it was not her fault, I said do not worry. Astonishing, so they saw me through the camera leaving and they assumed that I left the room. As stated, firstly I do not think that it is a secure place; things can happened, emergencies, etc. one old couple got confused with the codes and they could not access the main door to the bedrooms, I just arrived (around 9 pm) and help them. But, usually there is nobody there.

The location, just in Plaza Santa Bárbara where the Metro Alonso Martínez is located (from the Airport T4 to Nuevos Ministerios and then L10 two stops, approximately 30 minutes overall. Make sure you follow the signs in the Metro to Plaza Santa Bárbara, otherwise you may get confused). The wifi is strong. There are shops and restaurants nearby. Walking distance to Gran Via (15 minutes) and other interesting locations. Bathroom size fair. Heating and air-conditioning (I did not try it though).

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Not recommend,not even to enemies
    • Double single room

Very dirty, not recommend it.... They paint the walls with guests inside the hostel....refused to stay in that toxic vapors, first they refused to refunded, the guy from reception was very drunk... All around smell cheap alcohol and toxic fresh paint..run away from this location, can find others in Lisbon much much cleaner

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Nobody was there

There was nobody we can face to face to check in. We arrived early in the morning, we were waiting outside for a long time to leave our baggages. And we could not get into the room untill 1pm after check in. It was better they were inside the hotel, but they talked only on phone.

Very warm room

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Good relation quality price and good location
    • Quadruple Room

A bit strange not to have a person to talk too "in vivo", but not a real problem

Really good quality of beds and great location. Clean and family friendly.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Easy to access by Metro from the airport, and to walk to the...
    • Double single room

No face to face contact with any staff. It was surreal to access the building and check in only speaking with someone via intercoms. Other guests kindly explained the procedures when we arrived. Fortunately we had some forewarning from other reviews!

Easy to access by Metro from the airport, and to walk to the Prado.

Central, clean and comfortable!
    • Double single room

There was no staff on reception when we arrived, instead we spoke to someone remotely through a microphone in the reception area which was a little unnerving, but wasn't a problem

Great location, close to Sol and the Malasaña district. The room was well equipped, comfortable and had a nice balcony.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Good location, good room & en-suite; good price. Disturbed by tapping/knocking noises though.
    • Economy Single Room

Weird disembodied check-in= by 1-way CCTV; no human seen; cash put into a box on the wall. No reply to emailed query about continuous knocking/tapping sound that went on a cycle from maybe 40 beats to 200 beats/minute so hard to rest in the afternoon or sleep in the early hours. Came from either the walls or from the floor above & must have affected the room next to mine too. The owners must have known about this. Id stay again if they guarantee peace:)

Good location by Alonso Martinez metro in Plaza S Barbara. Very good price. Smart, dark wood panelling and wooden (or wood-alike) floors. Good bathroom en-suite. No key- electronic door codes everywhere. Good bars, cafes (and favourite club El Junco) close at hand. Large eating place on the corner, Cafe Santander, seems overpriced. Branch of 100 Monteditos is by the hostal- great value, esp on Sundays.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Great value but hard to find hotel. Use Google Maps prior to arriving. Its a green door!
    • Double single room

No staff! 3 entry codes needed for access. One for the street door, the next for 2nd floor access to "reception" then a button to press to speak to someone to get code to enter the bedroom. Better to e-mail hotel prior to arrival to get first 2 codes.

Location excellent right next to the metro and easy walking to the center. Bars and restaurants surround the hotel so no real need to go further in the evening. Rooms are good for the price.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Excellent Location
    • Double single room

As i have used this property on 3 previous occasions i was a wee bit dissatisfied that on arrival you could only speak to someone through a communication system and no one face to face thought this was not a good personal service

The Hostal is so Central and only a 10 minute walk from Gran Via, this is the 4th time i have used this property and will always use when i go to Madrid, very clean property and benefits from free wi-fi

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Best for the under 25 pack set.
    • Double single room

Finding it. Remote concierge with busy phone (10 minute wait to get in). Got lucky figuring out which floor (2nd). Room was clean but very musky smelling - had to sleep with the window open and fan on despite the cool night. Pictures are deceptive - it shows what you get but in way too positive a light.

Mattresses were clean and comfortable. No checkout. Tub was hillariously short...

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

for my use it was ok
    • Quadruple Room

the reception procedure was a hassle and tha lack of explanation / signs a hassle

the location is very good and the rooms are very clean, at the end also the hotel manager was helpful, once i got over the hurdel of the virtual receptionist which was very solw and not really well marked

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Rubbish
    • Double single room

Scruffy little room like a prison cell. Impersonal greeting (a intercom on wall!). So they take your money and can't even be bothered to say hello. There are much better options for same money.

Good location, that's all

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Great location, very close to underground.

I came after 2 pm, the room still was not cleaned. No wifi available. Sometimes too noisy with the construction outside and the noise from old air condition.

Great location, very close to underground. Access each room with code only.

The area

The noise of the street

The area

The automatic check-in with code worked very well. I liked it and also the location is good.
    • Double single room

Good location, nice area.

Fine for the price,
    • Double single room

The reception is a nightmare, no Air conditioner and you feel that you are in an interrogation room

The rooms and the location were fine

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

It was totally good experience.

It was totally good experience. Room and location was perfect.

They added 35 euro of fees.

They added 35 euro of fees... But in no one document they mentioned about that...

Best quality you can get foe this price
    • Double single room

A small kitchen around could be very useful.

The bed was really comfortable

Horrible
    • Double single room

I am happy just one night stayed there.

There is not any reception. Nobody can speak english. No wifi in the room. No breakfast.

Good choice if you spend there just a short time
    • Economy Single Room

The location is really great

The area - so near at the metro station
    • Quadruple Room

Must put a charging area at the reception. Put a More wall socket to plug in.

The area - so near at the metro station

Automate check-in system is really great
    • Double single room

Windows open on a rather busy square, blinds can't keep our all the noise.

Automate check-in system is really great

Easy check in.
    • Double single room

Payment in cash. I would have preferred cc

Easy check in. Good location. Good price.

CHECK IN A TRAVÉS DE VIDEO CÁMARA, Y PAGO OBLIGATORIO EN...

CHECK IN A TRAVÉS DE VIDEO CÁMARA, Y PAGO OBLIGATORIO EN EFECTIVO

Next to metro station
    • Double single room

The check-in procedure. It was weird to talk to a webcam and to put the money in an envelope which then goes in a safebox...

Next to metro station

Super clean room.
    • Double single room

We don’t have a complaint.🙂👍

Super clean room. Location couldn’t have been better as we travelled by metro.

Perfect location!

Perfect location!

Simple and clean
    • Double single room

No facilities; just a room and a bathroom. (But good because of value for money)

Nice clean room with private bathroom.

Got charged more than I was told