Reviews of Hotel Balmes 4 stars

Mallorca, 216, Eixample, 08008 Barcelona, Spain

#193 of 516 hotels in Barcelona

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Pool Access

Patio and Private Pool could have been cleaner but still enjoyed. Staff could have been more informative around the hotel.

Good place to stay, enjoyed the private pool.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I booked a room 15 minutes before midnight for the same date and everything was great and without any issues; the room was great with kitchen ans sort-of living room and the hotel had a great patio that unfortunatelly didn’t have the time to use :/ the staff were all lovingly pleasant, thank you!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Corridors have an industrial feel and you can hear other people coming and going. Tribal art and artefacts used as decoration. Lounge areas not that cosy.

Very kind, helpful staff. Nothing was a problem, they really looked after us. Parking beneath. Good feel to pretty restaurant downstairs.

• Family Room

The room located very close to a busy rail road.

The location , the set up the hotel itself and especially the stuff were great! However, one thing ruined our stay. Our room was facing a train rail, and the constant noise was just unbearable.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Negative point is that room was very small, I could not open my suitcase... I travelled on my own so that did not bother me too much, but for 2 persons the standard room might be very small.

Very good bed, all comfort available, even a bathrope. Good location. Excellent breakfast. Nice bar and friendly bar tender.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The staff where above and beyond with tips, help and giving us a bigger room to make it easier with our baby, stroller and crib, at no additional cost. The location of the hotel is perfect to move around the city without getting all the noise you would get from being too close to the Rambla or the port.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

They give a room which looks towards a wall after I want them to change the room they gave me another room but I have waited for the room more than one hour. Actually the room which they gave me was empty and clean but the receptionist told me that “I need to confirm the readiness of the room from the housekeeping” and I have waited more than one hour just for the confirmation. And he was rude.

I was clean.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

A little noisy as we were downstairs near the reception area

The bed was very comfy, nice modern bathroom with some nice extras all shampoo conditioner dressing gown etc

• Executive Single Room

It is not soundproof. I was concerned if I used the toilet the folks in the next room coiuld hear in the middle of the night. And, I could hear when other guests returned to their rooms. Everynight around 11ish, the hotel empties trash or ice. I wasn’t on their later hours schedule and it woke me up. I felt safe in the area traveling solo.

I felt safe in the area traveling solo.

The fact that you could smell cigarette smoke because people smoke out of their windows (I guess) - or else it rises up from the ground level, but that's not really the hotel's fault. I appreciated the complimentary bottle of water and it would have been nice to have one per day.

Bed was really comfy, room was quiet and minimalist. All the staff were very friendly and helpful

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The location was great. We walked most places from the hotel. The staff were super friendly and helpful when finding places to go eat or certain monuments.

• Family Room

They could have added a mirror in another location besides the bathroom, and an additional trash can. Also I don’t usually complain about noise at hotels— that’s usually what you get. But we had a room that adjoined another and we could hear everything they said. At 6 am.

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Exercise equipment was limited but of excellent quality and better than you see at most similar hotels. Pool was beautiful. Beds were excellent. The family room was small but the space welll utilized. Best towels of any hotel I’ve ever stayed in. Hotel was sparkling clean.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No tea or coffee making facilities in room. Also residence bar closed early. Other than that all was good. Nothing more to say that was bad. This is crazy I have nothing more to write that is bad. This is not fair on the hotel that I am having to write more about bad than good.

It's location central to town. Staff very helpful with booking shows and giving directions

• Superior Double or Twin Room

There was not much soundproofing - you could hear people in the adjacent rooms - I was woken up at 5am one morning by the noise. Also, there seemed to be water pipes in our ceiling, as when people near us were taking showers, it sounded like a waterfall! Our room was also supposed to have a sofa but there wasn’t one - it was quite small.

The hotel is really well located - a short walk to all the big attractions/the centre, and not far from the Universitat Aerobus stop if you’re coming from the airport (use the Urgell stop on the way back to the airport). Our room was clean, and the staff were polite and helpful. Overall a good experience!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Always welcoming and friendly management and staff. Excellent restaurants, cafes, shopping and many of Barcelona's attractions are within walking distance. Nicely appointed and comfortable modern rooms. This is my home away from home when I am in Barcelona!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No tea or coffee making facilities in the room but good mini bar

When we reported a problem, like the bathroom door handle, power failure and battery in the TV remote control, all where repaired/ replaced. Very clean and comfortable Great place for walking everywhere

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Love this hotel so much and would definitely stay again! The staff was kind and helpful, room was clean, comfortable, and stylish! We felt right at home and both my husband and I agreed we wished we could take the room with us as we continued our travels ;)

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The sound isolation was not good, we could hear noise from the corridor and from the neighbouring rooms. Poor ventilation in the bathroom.

Good location with walking distance to a lot of Barcelona's attractions and to Passeig de Gracia from which you can take a train to the airport. Cosy and modern rooms. Nice staff.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Close to Passeig de Gracia, with its marvellous Gaudi buildings. Also near to station for direct railway line to airport, and plenty of good restaurants in the neighbourhood. Comfortable bed. Friendly, helpful staff. Good rates for a 4 star, especially at weekends. Very highly recommended.

Rooms are small. Would not recommend for more than one person.

I loved my stay at Hotel Balmes. The hotel was well-decorated and very modern and the location in Eixample was fantastic for exploring the city. The hotel is close to a delicious tapas restaurant, the tourist bus, as well as famous Gaudi architecture. The rooms were smaller than expected (think the size of a dorm room with a bathroom) but had everything I needed for a two-night stay. Overall, it was very cozy. I had a small issue in my first room and when I informed the staff, their response was amazing! They showed up right away and upgraded my room to a double. And, when I got back from dinner that night I had a bottle of wine, chocolates and a handwritten note apologizing for the inconvenience. Their attention to detail and customer service exceeded my expectations! I would recommended Hotel Balmes.

See above

The room we were given was horrible. It was not value for money. Infact they should not offer this particular room as it is unfair and does not match the promise. Very disappointed. We only accepted it and said nothing as it was only one night. If it was more nights we would´ve complained. but life is too short. thanks

shower door could be wider to prevent water leakage through outside shower..

people are smiling and helpful, rooms are clean, nice location.. I recommend the hotel..

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No tea and coffee in the rooms (the only thing I could think of).

The hotel staff were really friendly, and the whole hotel was very clean and nicely presented. The rooms were spacious, but the highlight was the bed and pillows which were incredible.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Our room was a bit noisy in the morning´s, situated close to the breakfast room. We did not complain to get another room but thought about it.

Staff was very friendly and helpful, a big bonus for that.

• Executive Single Room

At that price I think breakfast should have been included. Also there was almost no room for luggage or hanging up clothes in the room, and the bed was very hard.

• Family Room

Breakfast was way over priced. 17 euros per person per day for a small buffet and choice of 3 hot items a 5 euro suppliment for other hot stuff!.

Hotel was very clean,very quiet and staff very friendly

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Pool Access

Breakfast was a little disappointing: windowless room in the basement wasn’t very inspiring, and the selection of food was quite modest for a price of 18€

Private pool was very nice. Shower pressure as optimal as in Finland 😊

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Rooms were great and staff super friendly! Great neighborhood. The breakfast could be better. It seemed rather simple and not very varied for the price.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Pool Access

We only had breakfast on our last day but found it to be poor quality for the price.

The hotel Balmes was just what we wanted for a city centre ,great location, clean, comfortable bed and good shower and bathroom.

Perfect in every way

Very friendly,smiling and accomodating staff were always at hand to assist with anything.Our room was very spacious overlooking the garden,lovely big comfortable bed and enough pillows to read comfortably our books in bed.Cannot fault this hotel for anything. .will definitely return

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The only improvement I could find is with bar area being outside, it's perfect if it's sunny but it could perhaps have a covered area so it can still be enjoyed even if it rains - but that is very minor and doesn't detract at all from the great facilities

Beautiful hotel with fantastic museum pieces in the lobby and surprisingly in the room also. Clean and comfortable, with excellent location and really friendly and helpful staff. Nice clean pool and bar area.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

- Staff needs to be trained on customer service - If it is a family friendly hotel, rooms needs to have kids channel - room for kids needs to be sound proof as I could hear every night having loud sex

Location and swimming pool

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The room was very nice, bathroom very well equipped with luxurious supplies. Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent location, a few minutes walk from the Passeig de Gracia

• Family Room

It was pretty expensive. Not quite so conveniently located for public transport as the other hotel we stayed in, on La Diagonal.

Great welcome, complete with glass of wine/juice. Two-level family room. Swimming pool and fitness room (both small but welcome).

• Executive Double or Twin Room

super poor noise insulation inside the hotel - as a result - noise from corridors and other rooms may wake you up. Be sure that you accept that you will be woken up around 8 am (not later) by noise made by cleaning in surrounding rooms and corridors (idea for hotel management - start cleaning a bit later)

nice and very very helpful staff solving many little problems which hotel is suffering

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The poolside bar closes very early and the staff not interested. Suggest a revision of bar and opening hours, 22:30 is very early for a residents bar to close-- tried twice, went elsewhere after this

Reception and cleaning staff very helpful and friendly

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Pool Access

Barcelona has become very crowded and expensive and unfortunately it affects almost everything. Also in this hotel the breakfast buffet was relatively expensive and did not include boiled eggs.

Clean modern hotel and excellent staff. Location is great too. The pool area was quiet and very nice. If I travel to Barcelona again I will definitely choose this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

I was happy with everything although there wasn't much of a view - room 10.

Thought the room was a great size, really modern and clean. A good supply of toiletries and also bathrobes. Bed was very comfy and the pillows were perfect too.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Pool Access

We booked this for a chilled romantic city break for my partners birthday, the only downside to this was that they walls were very thin. You could hear people on the halls, cleaners rearranging furniture upstairs, baby crying next door/ cleaners hoovering etc. Usually on city breaks we are up very early and out for the day but as we had both been to Barcelona before we were not in the usual rush to try and fit everything in, so had lazy mornings.

The staff were lovely, the hotel its self is very clean and well presented. Some amazing restaurants is the district such as Robata (Japaneses/Sushi) and Catalunya (for amazing Tapas) great location, 5 minutes walk to Ramblas, 20 minute walk to Sagrada, I booked a room with an outdoor pool on our terrace for the two of us which was a perfect way to unwind after dinner with a bottle of wine and some candles.

• Family Room

A true gem in the best part of Barcelona. The hotel is modern, very clean and welcoming. The staff at the reception were always cheerful and willing to help. The pool area is a welcome island after a day of walking through sunny an humid Barcelona.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

No coffee or tea making facilities in room :( One of the lifts was constantly broken Overall cleaning of room was good, apart from one day when clean towels and sheets were left on the sofa, and a pillow from the bed on top of the case of one of the works of art......Perhaps the cleaner was interrupted mid-job?????

Location - we walked to the Gothic Quarter every day, and also used the Metro to go further out. Works of African Art in rooms. Staff always helpful and friendly - good tips on what to do and how to do it when we checked in

• Executive Double or Twin Room

what can you not like in paradise!!! Oh my what a place!! this place is incredible. Everything I needed to relax, refresh & recharge.... and it's only Day 2!!

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Rooms are small, even for the European standards. Book a higher standard room because you end up in a dark room near the "pool". It is not really a pool, rather a cooling tub with very few chairs around. No, you cannot swim there; it is too small. Do not book the hotel for its pool, rather for its great location, nearby restaurants and clean, modern rooms. (Bathrooms are also rather small). The breakfast - not great for the price, but there is a very good breakfast place around the corner.

Perfect location . And very friendly and helpful staff. Clean and modern rooms. I would stay there again.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The location was a bit of a walk from the top of las ramblas at the end of the day the walk seems long with tierd legs. We requested when booking 2 twin beds instead we got one double. They said the next day we could get the 2 twin beds and then the next day we couldn't.

Lovely hotel. Fresh juice, water and fruit in the lobby. Nice clean room. Great selection of restaurants in the area.

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The pool area is very small and was overcrowded with children when we tried to use the facilities.

We were upgraded for our one night stay which was very nice. Most staff were very friendly and helpful but some quite the opposite. A little expensive but a very nice hotel in a convenient location.

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

We had room 24 which had no windows, felt very dark and the feeling of being underground We only spend a few hours in the room at night otherwise I would have asked to change rooms

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Pool Access

The combination of bath and shower facilities were not designed for the over eighties!

Very well appointed room and comfortable bed. Staff were without fault.

Can't think of anything.

Really great location and very comfortable hotel. Feels really luxurious but at a reasonable price. Nice touches with water in the room & quality products. Rooms was bright & bed super comfortable. Location couldn't be better. Parked in the parking opposite- a bit steep @ 23€ per day, but easy & safe. Loved it.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

I wish the breakfast buffet at the restaurant could be less expensive. It made me choose for other options outside the hotel.

Balmes is an excellent hotel. I went to Barcelona with my brother and 1 year old baby and the experience was amazing. Staff is very friendly, polite and well prepared. Really clean, silent and confortable executive room. Location is very good, close to the main turistic sites.

Rooms not really soundproof and there was some construction work going on during my stay on my floor. Also, the elevators provided a little more bumpy ride occasionally (they got you safely to the floor though).

Very friendly staff, extremely comfortable bed and several pillows on the bed (really appreciate that in a hotel!) and good location with several nice bars/restaurants close by.

• Executive Single Room

When arriving, we realized why this was so cheap. My room was to the inner square (a 5m by 5m, slightly dirty area and I was ground floor), thus very little light, absolutely no view. Otherwise rooms are okay, but we assume there are some nicer ones with windows (the ones to the busy road might though be noisy).

We got a good price deal with booking on the rooms, considering that this is a 4* hotel.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The disappointment was the room we had booked for our two friends as an Anniversary present was far too small to be called an Executive Room. I didn't view their room until the day we left, had I seen it earlier I would have asked them to provide a larger room ( which they show in the photos). Our room, although large, there was no view and we had to have the blinds down day and night because anyone walking passed would be able to see us. Very claustrophobic.

The bed was especially comfortable. The staff were great, parked our car and a welcome glass of wine at the reception. Even took our cases on arrival and back to the car on departure. The room was lovely and clean, all facilities we needed. Welcome bottle of water and chocolates in our room each night, I nearly forgot about a lovely red rose too.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The staff at times on reception didn't seem to be so happy to help with some of our questions or queries, which was a shame because overall we really enjoyed our stay all by this!

We absolutely loved our room! Surprised at the size and design of it all, wasn't what we expected it was a very pleasant surprise as this was for my partners birthday! The location is great if you like walking and seeing all parts of Barcelona!

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Unfortunately, we got a room with a window to an internal opening; you could only see other walls in a few meters. I realize that someone must stay in this room, but I was expecting something better for a week-long stay. The reception area was being renovated during our stay, which changed the entrance atmosphere. Alas, the trip was also marred by the taxi driver to the airport, who drove off with a brand new mobile left on the back seat; the phone was turned off less than two minutes after and the driver denied ever seeing it...

Centrally located and easily accessible, this is a nice hotel to stay for a city break. You can walk everywhere and public transport is plentiful nearby. The hotel owner has an impressive African art collection, exposed all over the hotel.

• Executive Single Room

Excellent. Highly professional staff, sparkling clean and well-appointed facilities, extremely comfortable, great location. I travel a good deal for business and this is one of the best places I've stayed recently.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Executive Single Room

There was a window above my room and it was open all day and all night and at night the light shed in my room so that was a but disturbing but for the rest loved everything.

I actually loved everything.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

I liked the attempt at environmental awareness since i am an environmental consultant promoting those items, however All the toilets leaked continuously (not in our room but beside the restaurant) and our shower sent much water on the wall when it was operating from leaks in 4 of the joints and valves but it did not impact the enjoyment of the shower.

The bed and pillows were extra comfy. We are still using the complementary water bottle for our travel needs in malaga. The staff were always friendly and very accomodating even with our lack of spanish.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

I didn't like the fact we booked a smoking room only to be threatened with a €125 fine for smoking in the room. They said Booking.com were wrong to advertise smoking rooms as the Balmes is a non smoking building

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Well the bathrobe was 2 but they never returned the 2nd one so I didn't have one to use after 1st day

I love the quiet of the room from street noise!! The room appeared, although really not, to be first time used!! Came with bathrobes the wife loved it!! And I like the fact that house cleaning doesn't disturb unless you want them too and they are not rushy to get you out but very flexible!! Floors were very clean!! Didn't get a chance for restaurant but maybe next time!! I am traveling to Paris in July maybe perhaps they have the same there!! Already the brochure said it did!! Thanks for a comfortable relaxing stay and the rose was phenomenal. Great location to major attractions it's on middle of a triangular position of attractions

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

I loved the whole experience.

I liked the warm welcome on arrival and the personal attention we received. Of course I loved the birthday cake and cava.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

There was some construction going on across the street from the hotel, which was a bit annoying when working all night and trying to sleep in the morning. This was nothing the hotel could do anything about. Rooms have quite good soundproofing but against a jackhammer outside, no chance. But at least I know next time there probably won't be construction since they should be finished then :)

Comfortable beds, nice clean room. Staff is very friendly. Hotel has private (paid) parking for customers. Location of hotel is nice in the Centre. Would definitely return to this hotel!

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Best location! Minutes walking to Passeig de Gràcia and other main attractions. Close to metro station. Surrounded by great shops, cafes and restaurants. The rooms are perfectly cleaned and comfortable. The standart room has everything you need: comfort beds, closet, minibar, safe, TV, free WI-FI and complementary water at the arrival. Excellent helpful staff at the reception. They gave us helpful tips and even booked us tickets to the football game. We didn't have the breakfast, but the dinning room seems nice. There is nice patio and the small cute pool at the ground floor. Ask for a high floor, it's pritty quiet, even if the room facing the main street.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Room was very well appointed but quite small.

Friendly efficient staff. Bathroom excellent with all the toiletries you could wish for. Super clean. Comfy bed and spotless linen. Balcony was a bonus but facing onto the road was quite noisy.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

The smell aroma from the lobby The unproper management for the transit from the airport, requested upon emails few days before the arrival The tiny rooms High rates for transit from te airport even we were clients of the hotel. This situation guided us to another transport solution from the airport much cheaper and premium.

Very well positioned in a quite street

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The room was very small, specially for the price we paid. Same with the bathroom, there wasn't even a hook to hang towels. I didn't find the room comfortable at all. They don't serve dinner which I found very strange for a 4*

The location of the hotel is excellent, very close to many attractions, shopping area and cafes/restaurants. The staff is very helpful and nice.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Executive Single Room

Expensive place. You're mainly paying for the location near the shopping/touristy area. The hotel itself isn't that nice for the price.

Location was good.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Family Room

Cost of breakfast- overpriced big !! time. Noise of partying, drunk people by the pool in the nite ruined chance for good sleep .

Location of the hotel in walking distance to all city attractions Layout of the hotel family room on two floors - funny , unusual well designed + small private patio.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The room was excellent with very comfy beds, a great bathroom and extra touches like bathrobe and slippers. Staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel has a great location which is close to main attractions and the metro to find everything else. You won't regret choosing to stay here. Would definitely book again!

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Family Room

Room 017 should never command a price of over 300 euros for a night's stay. The reasons are the noise. Every time the elevator is used it's really loud. When the kitchen staff arrive at 6am you can hear every voice. Finally the plumbing needs a serious overhaul. Using the shower, half the water ends up in the bathroom itself.

The staff and in particular Carlos in the restaurant at breakfast are great. All very attentive and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Just returned from an amazing weekend in Barcelona. Booked a standard double room and was upgraded to a 2 floor suite. Even without this though I cannot recommend this hotel enough, great location, away from the hustle and bustle but walkable to Las Rambles, shopping and even walked to Sagrada Familia. The staff in this hotel cannot do enough for you and we cannot wait to return again. Thank You to all of you at Balmes.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Nothing all good

Staff were very helpful and helped with tickets to attractions directions recommending places to eat. Convenient to all attractions and great restaurants.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

It seems a matter of policy to tell arriving guests that their room will not be ready until 14:00 as at check out another guest was being told that he would have to wait. We would have liked to add a day onto our stay but unfortunately their weekday rates were almost double what we paid for Saturday and Sunday.

All the staff were great! Reception kindly found a room that was ready despite our early arrival at 12:00. We had our cat with us and needed to settle him into our room before our lunch reservation at a nearby Michelin restaurant. The breakfast offering was excellent value for money at €15 including an extensive fresh buffet of Spanish specialities, fresh fruit, beautiful pastries and eggs cooked to order all attended to by three very professional and friendly waiters! I especially enjoyed the beautiful garden area with a very nice pool; we did not plunge in but we did enjoy relaxing there with our lovely gin & tonics prepared the great bar staff.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Executive Single Room

- dark room with tiny window and no daylight, despite request and upgrade payment ( later upgrade cost waived and changed to a slightly better room) - seemingly helpful but actually frustrated front desk staff (not genuinely customer focused) - was really disappointed that front desk person (the person with Elvis hair) didn't even grant me 1 hour late check out. In all my travels I have never seen a hotel that doesn't show courtesy of ONE hour late check out

Location was quite good! It's a clean hotel and I think it's a hotel that trying to provide a good service (just not there yet)

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Some staff not very engaging others really good.

Close to main attractions. Outdoor garden pool settings very nice and staff friendly. 24 hour supermarket almost next door good breakfast cafe a couple of doors up.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

I arranged a late check out but the hotel knew nothing of it despite me having email confirmation. The walls were paper thin and fortunately our neighbour was good humoured about us chatting late into the night - we didn't know he could hear every word

Comfy bed, little terrace was great

Browse Hotel Balmes traveller photo gallery