Reviews of Hotel Florida 3 stars

Floridablanca, 12 - 14, 28200 San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Spain

#6 of 8 hotels in San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Nice stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I didn't find the room super clean. Was some dust lying around, bit of mold in the bathroom. If you come by car it can be a bit difficult to stop un front of the hotel to unload luggage.

Location, nice charming atmosphere, staff was a bit cold but very helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nothing not to like.

Location. Perfect. Clean and comfortable everywhere. Friendly, helpful staff, excellent breakfast. View from our room, stunning.

Brilliant location, and price!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Housekeeping put my facecloth in the bidet, so I had to throw it away.

My room had a huge tub with jets, facing the monastery. I've stayed here before, and it will always be my hotel when visiting el Escorial. The staff is great, especially Vanesa and the wait staff.

Very well located, but a few cons to consider
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very dark room with just a couple light spots. Room is noisy, you can hear everything going on in the same floor. Mattress is old and you can feel the springs. Pillow is also old and very bad quality/materials. Sheets do not even fit the mattress, my feet were touching directly the blanket and everyone knows that blankets do not get clean very often...

Very well located, just 2min walk from the Monastery. Very clean room. They do have a very nice restaurant downstairs (around 35€ for a full meal). It has a couple of elevators.

Location was excellent, a few minutes walk from the bus...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is not modern, it is quite oldish, out of date. It was OK for one night stay but would not stay longer. Breakfast was of poor quality.

Location was excellent, a few minutes walk from the bus station and just opposite El Escorial. The room was clean (though you could see its age) and the bed was very comfortable, I had a great sleep.

Not comfortable bed nor yummy breakfast, but great location and cheap for a night
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We rented a room with a double bed and it was SO uncomfortable we weren't able to sleep all night long, because the mattress kept bending. Breakfast was not yummy nor fresh.

Location is great, right on the city center and staff is nice.

In need for huge improvement
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. To start, I booked this through Booking.com and confirmed that this hotel is dog friendly, however, typical of most of these sites, you don't get the fine details, like 10 extra Euro per day for a dog that sleeps on the floor. Next, upon check-in, the girl at the front desk was very unfriendly and short. She gave me a contract for my girlfriend and me to review and sign because we brought Fido, and told me that my girlfriend's ID must be provided, all later that evening. My girlfriend and I took our dog for a walk before returning to the hotel to provide the signed contract and ID, and to our surprise, they blocked us from entry to the room. They had to issue us two new room keys. Lastly, I asked for a room with a double bed. So they push two single beds together on wheels. My girlfriend and I kept falling into the crack between the two beds as the beds rolled apart. This is simply ridiculous. Other employees at this location are equally unfriendly and I think the owner was there with a permanent scowl on his face. This is not how I define customer service, especially since I am in the service industry. The room is nothing special... the hotel is nothing special. The city is amazing and I would like to return, but I will never step foot in that hotel again.

The fact that they allow pets

Not clean and stuff not really nice
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Sink not working, used shampoo bottles in the shower and hair on pillows - probably not cleened before our visit. Stuff not very kind, didn't do anything about the issue since we stayed only one night.

Quite Hotel with a lot of character

Nothing i didn't like.

I was a returning visitor to this hotel. Nothing negative to say. The bathroom may look a bit old, but all in perfect working condition and very clean. Temperature was very high during the days i visited, but the AC could cope. Much appreciated !! Also the availability of a small refrigerator was highly appreciated. This hotel gives you value for your money. And i always sleep very well there.

Nice hotel right in the heart of spectacular el Escorial
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was poor. Bread and pastries were stale. Be careful with parking. Parked in the public car park called Monasterio. No visible tariff. 30 euros for the night.

Fantastic location

Fine views
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hard to find anyone to book us in at 4pm. Rear reception closed, front reception unattended. No-one replied to the bell. If the phone hadn't rung we could have been there a while.

Classic city hotel now perhaps a little past its best. Great views towards El Escorial from the front, slightly less great (although still not at all bad) from the back. Parking tricky but not impossible. Street parking is free from 3pm to 9am so quite practical providing you can negotiate the one-way system and find a place. Cold drinks and ice cream in the lobby!

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

A visit to the Basilica is highly recommended and that is directly opposite the hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Street Parking is available but is in short supply. I believe there is additional parking elsewhere but we managed to park directly outside the hotel. The café/restaurant was a little soul less

The location was excellent in a charming town. No problem with the room and facilities we will certainly be looking to stay there again

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

The best hotel room during our 3 week tour of northern Spain.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

1). Parking- while I was told there was a lot for hotel guests, I was informed by the staff that it was full, although there seemed to be little actual hotel traffic. When I asked if a spot would be available during our 3 night stay I was told it was a very small lot and too small for our car (I wonder if this may have been due to a language/interpretation problem). Anyway, I parked at a nearby parking garage paying 9 euros for 3 nights, a bit extreme as it was 1/2 of the price of our 3 night stay at the hotel. Also be aware that the garage payment machine did NOT accept my credit card requiring cash. This could have been a major issue since I was on the way to the airport. 2). Breakfast-varied. The Sunday morning breakfast was great with fresh fruit, meats, cheese, croissants, toast, fried eggs, bacon, juice and coffee. However, Monday was very disappointing being a most abbreviated form of the previous day. We therefore opted for no breakfast on the day of our departure. 3). In room wi-fi- also varied with a strength of 2 out of 4 bars. 4). Beware, as in many parts of Spain many museums and sights are closed Mondays as was the case wit El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen. I has planned on touring the El Escorial on Sunday but would have been most disappointed if I had not known about this in advance. While this is of course not the fault of the hotel it would be helpful to have their staff publicize this at the time of the reservation.

Our stay at the Hotel Florida came at the end of a 3 week tour of northern Spain. I chose the Florida due to the proximity to the Madrid airport (about a 60 min drive without traffic, add another 30-45 min during rush hour), and to tour El Escorial. The Florida reminds me of what a more refined Spanish hotel would have been like in the 1950s with appointments not found in other hotels (we had stayed in a total of 12 different hotels in Spain as my wife was walking the El Camino). I can say that our accommodations were the best during our 3 week tour. The room was spacious with tall ceilings, the bed very comfortable, with a small balcony outside of the floor to ceiling double doors overlooking El Escorial. There was a small in-room safe and refrigerator (what appeared to be a former "mini-bar"). The bathroom had a bidet as well as a very nice whirlpool bath. There was a hairdryer and retractable magnifying beauty mirror. The cleaning staff provided a daily supply of toiletries including a comb, a travel style toothbrush with paste as well as a razor and shave cream and abundant shampoo and body wash gel. The desk staff were polite and courteous and spoke enough English to meet our needs. The location was ideal immediately across the street from the courtyard leading to the entrance to El Escorial. While located on a fairly busy one way street, traffic was minimal at night providing for a very quiet atmosphere for peaceful sleep.

The room was very comfortable and close to the monastery and...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was very comfortable and close to the monastery and town. Although it was very near to everything it was quiet. The monastery is fabulous.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Encontre una cucaracha en e wc,

Encontre una cucaracha en e wc,

Friendly

nothing really

Friendly Good location Good facilities

A very enjoyable stay

The eggs at breakfast

Great staff, great location, great rooms and overall a...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Great staff, great location, great rooms and overall a wonderful stay. Will definitely come back.

Location price and style

No ironing facility

Location price and style

Great location, pleasant staff and a super-comfortable bed!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Great location, pleasant staff and a super-comfortable bed!

close to Palace and bus station internet computer in lobby

close to Palace and bus station internet computer in lobby

Location and the view from the room
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Smell of the cigarettes and mildew in the room

Location and the view from the room

Really good location opposite monastery.

Reception staff unfriendly. Breakfast poor. Not allowed to use lift after 10am.

Really good location opposite monastery. Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

El Escorial is an amazing place to visit.

parking was difficult

the bed was very comfy, and the room very clean. Staff very friendly and helpful,

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

Very comfortable bed.

Bathroom a little badly organised difficult to enter perhaps hand basin too big for the room! A view over to the monastery would have been nice for the same price.

Very comfortable bed. Room was clean and warm Breakfast gave plenty of choice Availability of bar for snacks until late evening.

• Reviewed: 19 April 2016

The location is the only good point of this place

When we arrived at the place (it's not a hotel) the receptionist was at the phone for a good 5 min. without any sign or gesture to welcome us or make us take seat. When she finally finished her call no sign of apologies..what for! She didn't even cut two keys for the room.. Trying to forget our first experience we get at the rooms we found hairs on the bed, on the bathroom`s walls, the light flashing and seemed hazardous, mouldy shower with water until the ankles.. Could continue but just want to warn and give advice to all that might think it's a good option if you planning to visit San Lorenzo but definitely IT IS NOT.

The location is the only good point of this place

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

I would have like to have seen a little more sliced fruit...

Not being able to dine in the hotel in the evening.

I would have like to have seen a little more sliced fruit such as melon and pineapple at breakfast and been able to dine in the hotel in the evening as it was so cold to go out.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

I've stayed at hotel Florid a 3 times now.

There wasn't much I didn't like. It's was all fine.

I've stayed at hotel Florid a 3 times now. The staff are friendly esp on reception, the rooms are comfortable and clean and it's is the best priced hotel in that area. It's very convenient for the town too. Definitely my pick every time.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2015

We had a special room with a pleasant view on the El...

The hotel is good but it could be modernised. The joint sealer in the bathroom was partly black.

We had a special room with a pleasant view on the El Escorial.

• Reviewed: 31 May 2015

we stayed here because it was centrally located for places...

it wasn't bad but coming down for breakfast at 9 am most mornings the hot food had gone however the staff were happy to cook again some of the things needed

we stayed here because it was centrally located for places within an hours radius we wanted to visit and the town was very clean and well known because of the monastery

• Reviewed: 22 March 2015

Almost across the street from the monastery, so the location...

Almost across the street from the monastery, so the location was great. The Wifi was good and the room was comfortable but the walls were thin and you could hear your neighbors. Not fun at 1:30 am.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2015

the room was adequate for us and our budget.

parking is a challenge - like everywhere in spain.

the room was adequate for us and our budget. places to eat nearby. 3 minute walk to el escorial. daytime desk pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2015

Localization is great.

We had a problem with the shower - water all over the bathroom. We asked for a double bed and they gave us two single beds. Heater makes noise and we felt cold (there was only one extra blanket in the room).

Localization is great. Confortable rooms. Nice staff. Good price. Good restaurant.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2016

The fireplace gives a nice smell to all the hotel

The fireplace gives a nice smell to all the hotel

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

the location and the staff treatment

the bed, small double bed with loose mattress, old blanket provided... not comfortable at all

the location and the staff treatment

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

Breakfast was very good.

Room was cold.

Breakfast was very good. Fresh fruit and pastries.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2015

Great position to see attraction and town.

Great position to see attraction and town. Café/Restaurant no frills but good.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2015

Well situated but no car park

Breakfast is just basic with any service. Best book a room a take the breakfast outside

Well situated but no car park

• Reviewed: 14 October 2015

We had to cancel for personal reasons.

We had to cancel for personal reasons.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2015

Location near Escorial

A bit expensive. Not completely spotless.

Location near Escorial

• Reviewed: 19 May 2015

The location close to the Monastery

My shower has obviously not been cleaned when I arrived. Would not stay there again.

The location close to the Monastery

• Reviewed: 16 April 2015

Nice room.

The restaurant looked very dark. I did not eat there.

Nice room. Excellent location. I would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2015

There are also 21 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Florida traveller photo gallery